PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Simmons?

Brian Windhorst
03-05-2016, 09:30 PM
He was so promising in the beginning of the year with dunks, dribble drives, nice passing, and decent defense.

He hasn't even looked like an NBA-level player these last few weeks. He passes up every shot and never takes more than one dribble, and whenever he tries to set something up it ends in a turnover 3/4 of the time.

He looked really promising for a guy with his story, and his athleticism is certainly at an NBA level, but honestly the guy is 26 and doesn't look anywhere near ready to contribute to an NBA team. He can't get by NBA players off the dribble, so what exactly does he do well at an NBA level?

Mr. Body
03-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Dude, he's an undrafted rookie.

Spurtacular
03-05-2016, 09:31 PM
He needs to work on his mid range game, tbh.

Arcadian
03-05-2016, 09:32 PM
You expect ups and downs for rookies.

spursistan
03-05-2016, 09:33 PM
:lol at those premature "he made it" stories on ESPN/SAExpress....

SAGirl
03-05-2016, 09:35 PM
This and his ballhandling.

He's also trying to clean up his mistakes which means playing more under control.

spurraider21
03-05-2016, 09:37 PM
what happened to your main account?

steeledl
03-05-2016, 09:39 PM
He lost his secret stuff....

but honestly, probably just lost confidence.... Maybe Pop putting a lot of pressure on him but if he wants to make it he has to persevere.

vander
03-05-2016, 09:41 PM
no longer playing with house money, now expected to contribute...

100%duncan
03-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Rookie wall, not enough minutes. Haven't you noticed he's been in the doghouse before this game

r0drig0lac
03-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Darius Bieber
03-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Every player the Spurs pick up can't be Michael Jordan.

objective
03-05-2016, 09:47 PM
He's shook. He's prone to the shookness. I never have seen a player in camp look as shook as he did.

You have to let him get past it, he's one of those players.

Diego20
03-05-2016, 09:52 PM
He isn't as good as everyone thought and a Rockets fan.

SPURt
03-05-2016, 09:52 PM
He's trying too hard to fit in.

Hoops Czar
03-05-2016, 09:53 PM
He's a D-leaguer.

spursparker9
03-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Pop just limiting the rotation to playoff mode

SAGirl
03-05-2016, 10:38 PM
He lost his secret stuff....

but honestly, probably just lost confidence.... Maybe Pop putting a lot of pressure on him but if he wants to make it he has to persevere.
Agreed.

tholdren
03-05-2016, 10:40 PM
He's shook. He's prone to the shookness. I never have seen a player in camp look as shook as he did.

You have to let him get past it, he's one of those players.
every player is one of those players. confidence is a bigger factor than athleticism

elemento
03-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Lost confidence

Godbama
03-05-2016, 10:55 PM
You expect ups and downs for rookies.

Brian Windhorst
03-06-2016, 03:02 AM

So we should drop him for Martin then?

MI21
03-06-2016, 03:40 AM
It's like no one has actually played basketball before tbh.

Teams now have a semblance of a scouting report on him so it's now in his court to adjust.

wildcardX
03-06-2016, 03:41 AM
First year player without consistent minutes won't get consistent play in his game. So his game play will be up and down. He just has to stick with it and pull through. He was looking good with regular rotational minutes but like any player, let alone a first year player, he had a few bad games. Minutes decreased and he got out of rhythm. Lost some confidence and not back in sync with his teammates in game situations.

BatManu20
03-06-2016, 03:58 AM
Coasting. Non-issue.

rasuo214
03-06-2016, 04:11 AM
It's like no one has actually played basketball before tbh.

Teams now have a semblance of a scouting report on him so it's now in his court to adjust.

This. He needs to develop a decent jump shot to keep teams somewhat honest.

ceperez
03-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Rookie wall. Usually happens to players who have never played the number of games an NBA season demands.

Ice009
03-06-2016, 07:22 AM
:lol at those premature "he made it" stories on ESPN/SAExpress....

Yeah, I was thinking about those stories the other day. I was actually thinking he could be cut with how poorly he's been playing lately.

Mr. Body
03-06-2016, 07:54 AM
So we should drop him for Martin then?

Where did I say that?

Raven
03-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Pop just limiting the rotation to playoff mode

this.

Pocho La Pantera
03-06-2016, 08:24 AM
According to Hater he's better than Manu. :downspin:

DJB
03-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Pop tends to castrate rookies.

TheGreatYacht
03-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Better than fat head, that's for sure

HarlemHeat37
03-06-2016, 03:23 PM
He was never that good, which is what some of us have been saying since the beginning:lol..

He's a nice energy player that excels in transition and provides entertainment with his finishing ability at the rim..this happens all the time in the NBA, a player breaks out for a few weeks, but can't adjust when opposing teams have a scouting report on him..

When certain posters on ST(the guys that are always wrong, which is a large portion) like or hate somebody, you generally need to go with the opposite of their sentiment:lol..

His story is great, though, which is why he got recognition in the first place..

hater
03-06-2016, 03:28 PM
According to Hater he's better than Manu. :downspin:

No I said Kyle Anders > manu. Simmons is as good as Manu. Well was, now he's going through a rough patch

bklynspursfan
03-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Anderson is not close to being better than Manu.

Dro210
03-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Not referring to the Manu debate y'all are having^ when I say this, but the general Anderson hate is funny... Since he's gonna be a big reason we beat Golden State.

tholdren
03-06-2016, 05:19 PM
No I said Kyle Anders > manu. Simmons is as good as Manu. Well was, now he's going through a rough patch

Why sell yourself short? Bonner>Manu

ViceCity86
03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Jesus Gomez said he was a scrub.You should of listened to him.

ElNono
03-06-2016, 06:03 PM
He was never that good, which is what some of us have been saying since the beginning:lol..

He's a nice energy player that excels in transition and provides entertainment with his finishing ability at the rim..this happens all the time in the NBA, a player breaks out for a few weeks, but can't adjust when opposing teams have a scouting report on him..

When certain posters on ST(the guys that are always wrong, which is a large portion) like or hate somebody, you generally need to go with the opposite of their sentiment:lol..

His story is great, though, which is why he got recognition in the first place..

tbh, with his athleticism and the fact that Van Gundy pumped him up on 3 games on national TV, he'll probably find a team as soon as the Spurs release him....

ViceCity86
03-06-2016, 06:10 PM
tbh, with his athleticism and the fact that Van Gundy pumped him up on 3 games on national TV, he'll probably find a team as soon as the Spurs release him....

Jeff Van Gundy and mainstream media.:lol

JVG and rest of the dolts are still pumping the Methlahoma City bandwagon.Ghetto blacks in the media like Jalen Rose pump up ghetto black teams like Thunder and ignore civilized black teams like the Spurs who are not ghetto blacks or black-blacks.

Slime Baller
03-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Jeff Van Gundy and mainstream media.:lol

JVG and rest of the dolts are still pumping the Methlahoma City bandwagon.Ghetto blacks in the media like Jalen Rose pump up ghetto black teams like Thunder and ignore civilized black teams like the Spurs who are not ghetto blacks or black-blacks.

It's dumb shit like this that makes me question whether or not I should post here. Fuck's sake.

gambit1990
03-06-2016, 07:05 PM

SAGirl
03-06-2016, 07:20 PM
If they do release him, he will find another team I agree, but send him to the 76ers and you will see preseason Simmons reappear. FWIW, it should not make Spurs feel guilty or anything if he's waived bc it's not like his career would be over. His time in the Spurs served him well either way.

SAGirl
03-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Anderson is not close to being better than Manu.

Not referring to the Manu debate y'all are having^ when I say this, but the general Anderson hate is funny... Since he's gonna be a big reason we beat Golden State.
Hater was the only one making that bold statement, but about 75%of the forum was hyping up Simms as Manu's heir, there are multiple threads about it. Was a bit overboard.

On the Anderson front, yes he will factor in the postseason. Him getting all this time at 3 different spots and with different lineups started bc of injuries but we went 12-1 despite the injuries and he is now on the CIA Pop front. He's had multiple games over 20 minutes recently and might have easily averaged over 20 mins from the beginning of February on. He's a roleplayer but his defensive versatility will be handy. POP might even be getting his credibility with referees up with this much playing time.

DMC
03-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Simmons is raw. He made some good passes and showed some poise. We need smarter players, not more athletic ones.

DMC
03-06-2016, 09:08 PM
It's dumb shit like this that makes me question whether or not I should post here. Fuck's sake.
Because you bring so much.

sasaint
03-06-2016, 09:54 PM
If they do release him, he will find another team I agree, but send him to the 76ers and you will see preseason Simmons reappear. FWIW, it should not make Spurs feel guilty or anything if he's waived bc it's not like his career would be over. His time in the Spurs served him well either way.

I still expect Simmons to be a part of Spurs TNG. It is a mistake for folks to dismiss him as merely athletic. Pop and Becky both have praised his court vision and his ability to make plays for his teammates. He is going through a fairly typical first season in the NBA. He is on a pendulum. He was a little too aggressive to start the season. He was playing over his head at the NBA level. Some times it worked pretty well, and sometimes it backfired, resulting in scads of turnovers on offensive and bad lapses and fouls on defense. Last game against the Kings, he got his first decent minutes in the first half in quite a few games, and he played too passively - presumably to show Pop some measure of control. Working with the Spurs' coaches I think he will find the right combination of aggressive athleticism and control and be a good rotation player. Were he to go to another team at this juncture, I suspect that he would be out of the NBA in a year.

Chinook
03-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Simmons would do well if he has an Alonzo Gee--type career. I think teams will give him a couple million ever year even though he may not be a consistent rotation player. He really needs to focus on being a defender, though. His offense is fine enough for a guy who will not be a lead off the bench. But he'll need a role, and being a plus on that end is the key to sticking in the league.

thekingrobert
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
I'd like to see Chip get his shot release a lil faster like he did with Kawhi's

gospursgojas
03-06-2016, 10:43 PM
He hates the spurs anyway.

K...
03-06-2016, 10:50 PM
The hope was that he and Anderson would carry over synergy from summer league and replace manu via a compare contrast type mating.

HarlemHeat37
03-06-2016, 10:55 PM

I think he can be a nice energy player off the bench for a team..the league has a lot of available spots:lol

Like I said at the time, though, people are way too quick to crown a player..going from a D-league guy to a legit starter is extremely rare..apparently there's the belief that it's common, because Danny Green did it:lol..there's a reason these niggas aren't already in the league, it's very rare to find one that finds a nice niche, let alone a starter on a title team..

There are worse Spur prospects that are starting for teams, though..Alonzo Gee and Jamaychal Green weren't as good as Simmons has been with the Spurs, and both of those guys are currently starting for a team IIRC..so although I've never been a fan of his, I could definitely see him finding a bench role in the league as an energy/transition guy..

Ice009
03-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Simmons is too scared to shoot the ball. He passes up shots all the time and I just can't accept that anymore. It's really pissing me off.

Also, he needs to play a lot better defense. Ever since I read that article a few weeks ago where he said he's hanging his hat on his defense and it's all about effort, he's been pure shit on that end of the court. It's like he somehow got it in his head that good defense is only about effort and nothing else. I'm sorry Simms, but you need a wake up call if that is all you think good/great defense is about. There is a lot more to it than just "effort".

ElNono
03-06-2016, 11:07 PM
I think he can be a nice energy player off the bench for a team..the league has a lot of available spots:lol

Like I said at the time, though, people are way too quick to crown a player..going from a D-league guy to a legit starter is extremely rare..apparently there's the belief that it's common, because Danny Green did it:lol..there's a reason these niggas aren't already in the league, it's very rare to find one that finds a nice niche, let alone a starter on a title team..

There are worse Spur prospects that are starting for teams, though..Alonzo Gee and Jamaychal Green weren't as good as Simmons has been with the Spurs, and both of those guys are currently starting for a team IIRC..so although I've never been a fan of his, I could definitely see him finding a bench role in the league as an energy/transition guy..

:lol agreed, half the league is tanking, there's always room for a relatively young talent on a cheap contract, tbh...

The thing with being on the Spurs is that he could've developed into a niche without the pressure packed situations he'll find himself in other teams...

But then again, he's "Pop's product" and has been on the "Spurs system" and that always seem to interest other GMs, coaches for some reason... wouldn't be surprising at all if Tom Rivers picks him up, for example :lol

lilbthebasedgod
03-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Pretty much agreed. He's just not that good.

People talk about his driving, but he's only good at hitting a lane. He's actually pretty slow at changing directions. Lateral quickness isn't his thing.

He also has absolutely no midrange game whatsoever and is too dependent on driving to will himself to shoot threes

objective
03-06-2016, 11:16 PM
No doubt in my mind the spurs could get something for him at the draft if they have fallen out of love with his potential. Maybe only a second, but it's an asset.

And I think he can be more than a hustle player. Most hustle players can't pass like he can. Just compared to James White it's like night and day. Both older guys when they came in, and both getting notice for dunks, but even though White tooled around a little in the league, he never came close to matching the playmaking or the shooting of Simmons. Or the defense, which Simmons is still terrible at screens but remains better than White ever was.

Simmons is no Rodney Hood when it comes to young wings, but he's an NBA level player.

spurs10
03-06-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm sure he has worked hard in his time here. It's been a dream come true, I'm sure. If he gets waived for Martin I'm guessing his work here will help land him another job. If not he made hundreds of thousands of dollars and will have plenty of money for his kid's college funds. I know people here are talking about his drop off, but I think he 's gotten better at NBA ball since he got here.

Hoops Czar
03-06-2016, 11:35 PM
:lol agreed, half the league is tanking, there's always room for a relatively young talent on a cheap contract, tbh...

The thing with being on the Spurs is that he could've developed into a niche without the pressure packed situations he'll find himself in other teams...

But then again, he's "Pop's product" and has been on the "Spurs system" and that always seem to interest other GMs, coaches for some reason... wouldn't be surprising at all if Tom Rivers picks him up, for example :lol

In a nutshell, he's another Malik Hairston. He might get a few more chances, but the odds of him improving much beyond what he already is are slim to none. He's already past his physical prime and he's 3-4 years away from his NBA prime (if he can last that long). However, by the time his NBA prime catches up with his physical prime, he'll already be losing some of his athleticism. He can't shoot consistently and he doesn't play defense so when he loses his athleticism, he's done. If he wants to carve out a professional career, his bet bet is China where the competition isn't quite as cut throat.

DMC
03-06-2016, 11:52 PM

On another team he'll be on his own to hire a trainer and try to improve his game. He won't have Chip or Chad to work with him, no Tim or Manu or Tony to point in in the right direction, and no system to hide in. There will be athletic, money hungry bubble dwellers who went undrafted trying to kill each other for a spot, and he might not be able to exist in that environment.

ElNono
03-06-2016, 11:58 PM
On another team he'll be on his own to hire a trainer and try to improve his game. He won't have Chip or Chad to work with him, no Tim or Manu or Tony to point in in the right direction, and no system to hide in. There will be athletic, money hungry bubble dwellers who went undrafted trying to kill each other for a spot, and he might not be able to exist in that environment.

Yeah, thinking long term, being a project for the Spurs probably makes more sense...

ElNono
03-07-2016, 12:10 AM
In a nutshell, he's another Malik Hairston. He might get a few more chances, but the odds of him improving much beyond what he already is are slim to none. He's already past his physical prime and he's 3-4 years away from his NBA prime (if he can last that long). However, by the time his NBA prime catches up with his physical prime, he'll already be losing some of his athleticism. He can't shoot consistently and he doesn't play defense so when he loses his athleticism, he's done. If he wants to carve out a professional career, his bet bet is China where the competition isn't quite as cut throat.

Physically he's fine for the NBA... he actually is probably above average athletically... he does need to improve, and I don't buy that players can't improve, especially guys that just got to the league and are experiencing for the first time that kind of competition. Even relatively seasoned players from Europe take a season or two to adapt and adjust... I do think if after 2-3 years you don't see marked improvement, then it's difficult it's going to happen for them... you can work in new aspects of your game as the years go by, but that mean you've already mastered the previous steps.

He's obviously never going to be a "superstar" or anything like that, but I think he can be serviceable in this league if he does show some signs of improvement in the next couple of years. I mean, the league is littered with shitty talent, tbh, especially at the SG position. You have Harden, Klay Thompson, maybe JJ Reddick (which is really unidimensional) and then it pretty much drops to ancient guys like Wade, Manu or ISO Joe. It would be strange a guy athletically gifted like him wouldn't be able to make it, but he does need to find his niche at this level of competition in the next season or two. IMO, that's easier to do in a team like the Spurs, while winning and being a "project" than being thrown into the fire in Phila and end up going the way of Tony Wroten...

Old School 44
03-07-2016, 12:17 AM
I think Simmons can be a solid player in the NBA. Right now, he's pressing. I think he's suffering from the old cliche of "not letting the game come to him". His athleticism is what gets him noticed, but he sometimes over does it. He always want to do the spectacular...wanting to jump through the roof on both offense and defense, when the simple play will do. I think he will be fine once he figures this out.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2016, 12:20 AM
No doubt in my mind the spurs could get something for him at the draft if they have fallen out of love with his potential. Maybe only a second, but it's an asset.

And I think he can be more than a hustle player. Most hustle players can't pass like he can. Just compared to James White it's like night and day. Both older guys when they came in, and both getting notice for dunks, but even though White tooled around a little in the league, he never came close to matching the playmaking or the shooting of Simmons. Or the defense, which Simmons is still terrible at screens but remains better than White ever was.

Simmons is no Rodney Hood when it comes to young wings, but he's an NBA level player.

James White was never an NBA-caliber player, though..

When I say energy player, I'm not really insulting him..you can be an energy guy and be a productive part of an NBA rotation..

Somebody like Corey Brewer, for example..Simmons plays nothing like Brewer(Brewer doesn't really have any notable basketball skills, he's essentially a track athlete that plays basketball), at all, other than transition, but I'm just using him as an example of a guy that has had a productive career as a bench energy player..

spurtech09
03-07-2016, 01:55 AM
Needs to work on his jumper and defense.....

Ice009
03-07-2016, 03:48 AM

When I say energy player, I'm not really insulting him..you can be an energy guy and be a productive part of an NBA rotation..

Somebody like Corey Brewer, for example..Simmons plays nothing like Brewer(Brewer doesn't really have any notable basketball skills, he's essentially a track athlete that plays basketball), at all, other than transition, but I'm just using him as an example of a guy that has had a productive career as a bench energy player..

I thought Brewer was touted as being a really good defender coming into the NBA. I thought that was his main skill, or am I remembering incorrectly?

objective
03-07-2016, 04:41 AM
Brewer is an interesting comparison because he's a player who was stupidly cut by a team and went on to have a very nice 10+ year career and career earnings over $50 million.

Simmons is probably too late to have a 10 year career, but he will be in the league.

DMC
03-07-2016, 08:58 AM

James White in that dunk contest though.. Holy shit. Did he ever show his face around the NBA after that?

coachmac87
03-07-2016, 09:29 AM
It would be a HUGE mistake for the Spurs to give up on Simmons..he's inexperienced and you can't expect to see a huge jump in his game until this offseason. He's shown flashes this season but also shows his weakness that needs work. Attack those weaknesses and comeback next year (contract year) and see what the kid can do.

He may have lost playing time this season..but to expect Simmons to be a rotation player on a championship caliber team is a lot to ask for coming from the D-League..

Dex
03-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Simmons is a perfect example of a guy with the physical tools to play the game, but whose game is not refined enough to survive in the league.

When he can get out in transition or finds a wide open lane to the rim, he looks like a NBA caliber player. But once teams have learned to pressure his poor dribbling and take a step back to take away the drive, he's been neutered. Suddenly he becomes turnover prone, isn't able to take the pull-up to keep his defender honest, and becomes just a space-filler on the floor.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Simmons is just in a funk. Spurs aren't cutting him. He is only going to be making 700k next year. Guy shows what he is capable of. He just needs to develop a pull up J as teams are playing off of him now, which negates his drives to the basket. If he does this, he will be deadly offensively. The fact that Chip took one of the worst shooting PG and made him highly efficient off his pull up J's, I have no doubt Simmons will improve over this working with Chip.

The guy is a rookie and honestly has exceeded his expectations for the year. Needs more time to develop his game further, which I think he is capable of.

spursfanincolorado
03-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Doubt Pop saw his Vine or whatever of him dissing the Spurs when they lost in the PO a few years back.

I dont see see him really turning the corner but props if he does. Maybe the off season he gets one the gym like Kawhi did and works on his all around game

.G.
03-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Nigga starting eating good bread, grew over confident, minute sense of entitlement "started from da bottom now we..." Etc
Next thing you'll see is Simmons grows out his hair+beard, tatted up, sleeves...it's become cliché in the league. See: deandre Jordan, shumpert, baynes, Mills, Griffin, mcbob, etc

Or he's probably just going through a lengthy slump.