PDA

View Full Version : Which 13 Spurs make the playoff roster, tbh?

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 04:49 AM
For most of the team it is obvious... for a few guys it isn't so clear. 2 guys on the team will have to be left off the playoff roster, though. I'm going with:

- Duncan
- Aldridge
- Leonard
- Green
- Parker
- Ginobili
- Diaw
- West
- Martin
- Mills
- Miller
- Bonner
- Anderson

Simmons and Marjanovic get left out due to inexperience.

What do y'all think?

:toast

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-06-2016, 06:23 AM
The payoff roster will be :
- Duncan
- Aldridge
- Leonard
- Green
- Parker
- Ginobili
- Diaw
- West
- Martin
- Mills
- Miller
- Bonner/Butler
- Anderson
- Simmons
- Marjanovic

exstatic
03-06-2016, 07:29 AM
There is no "playoff roster". There is a timing deadline to submit your active 13 for each game, just like the regular season. The NBA realized that they screwed up, and that the concept of a "playoff roster" was arbitrary and unnecessary after the NYK couldn't play Ewing in the 99 Finals even though he had recovered from his injury. They changed the rule sometime after that.

Ice009
03-06-2016, 07:32 AM
There is no "playoff roster". There is a timing deadline to submit your active 13 for each game, just like the regular season. The NBA realized that they screwed up, and that the concept of a "playoff roster" was arbitrary and unnecessary after the NYK couldn't play Ewing in the 99 Finals even though he had recovered from his injury. They changed the rule sometime after that.

Holy crap. How did I not know that. I didn't know Ewing could have played. I thought he was still injured and couldn't play in those finals. I don't remember reading about it at the time.

rmt
03-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Well, wasn't it stupid of NY to not include him on the playoff roster in the hope that he would recover? The playoffs are a couple of months - anything can happen.

exstatic
03-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Well, wasn't it stupid of NY to not include him on the playoff roster in the hope that he would recover? The playoffs are a couple of months - anything can happen.

They actually weren't considered a title contender. They were the #8 seed in the East, and likely just wanted to maximize their playoff run by having all healthy players and maybe going a round or two deep.

Mel_13
03-06-2016, 08:53 AM

TheDoctor
03-06-2016, 08:57 AM
There is no "playoff roster". There is a timing deadline to submit your active 12 for each game...

Mel_13
03-06-2016, 09:04 AM
13 is correct.

lil'mo
03-06-2016, 09:58 AM
For most of the team it is obvious... for a few guys it isn't so clear. 2 guys on the team will have to be left off the playoff roster, though. I'm going with:

- Duncan
- Aldridge
- Leonard
- Green
- Parker
- Ginobili
- Diaw
- West
- Martin
- Mills
- Miller
- Bonner
- Anderson

Simmons and Marjanovic get left out due to inexperience.

What do y'all think?

:toast

I thought you were smart?

FromWayDowntown
03-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Ewing missed the 1999 Finals with a torn achilles, which he sustained late in the 1999 East Finals:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/03/sports/nba-playoffs-ewing-to-miss-rest-of-playoffs-with-a-torn-achilles-tendon.html

He was never go to play in those Finals and being on the playoff roster wasn't an issue.

The use of a 15-man roster for the playoffs with several inactives happened before the. 2006-07 season:

http://www.nba.com/news/rulechanges_060802.html

The move to increase the active roster to 13 came before the 2012-13 season (though teams had 13 in the 2012 playoffs because of the short season):

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/02/24/breaking-news-13-man-nba-rosters-to-become-permanent-waiver-rules-could-be-altered/

spurs10
03-06-2016, 11:20 AM
There is no "playoff roster". There is a timing deadline to submit your active 13 for each game, just like the regular season. The NBA realized that they screwed up, and that the concept of a "playoff roster" was arbitrary and unnecessary after the NYK couldn't play Ewing in the 99 Finals even though he had recovered from his injury. They changed the rule sometime after that. :bobo

J_Paco
03-06-2016, 11:21 AM

He is the dumbest poster on these boards. Even dumber than all the Laker trolls downstairs which is kind of sad.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 12:24 PM
N/M.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Holy crap. How did I not know that. I didn't know Ewing could have played. I thought he was still injured and couldn't play in those finals. I don't remember reading about it at the time.

The rule change was made b/c Ewing couldn't play in The Finals. The NBA didn't heavily publicize it; that's why many avid fans don't even know still to this day.

FromWayDowntown
03-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Ewing's 1999 injury didn't cause a 2006 rule change.

The rules didn't keep Ewing out of the 1999 Finals.

Proxy
03-06-2016, 02:05 PM

/thread

Kikoluna
03-06-2016, 03:08 PM

Can you be positive for once

GSH
03-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Ewing missed the 1999 Finals with a torn achilles, which he sustained late in the 1999 East Finals:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/03/sports/nba-playoffs-ewing-to-miss-rest-of-playoffs-with-a-torn-achilles-tendon.html

He was never go to play in those Finals and being on the playoff roster wasn't an issue.

The use of a 15-man roster for the playoffs with several inactives happened before the. 2006-07 season:

http://www.nba.com/news/rulechanges_060802.html

The move to increase the active roster to 13 came before the 2012-13 season (though teams had 13 in the 2012 playoffs because of the short season):

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/02/24/breaking-news-13-man-nba-rosters-to-become-permanent-waiver-rules-could-be-altered/

The level of fucking ignorance on this forum is mind-boggling. A whole thread dedicated to a "playoff roster" that doesn't exist, and people arguing about a player that hasn't suited up in 14 years - back when teams actually did have to declare a playoff roster. And a whole fucking discussion going on about it all.

Multiply that by pretty much every thread that gets created. It's fucking Sesame Street.

baseline bum
03-06-2016, 10:18 PM
They actually weren't considered a title contender. They were the #8 seed in the East, and likely just wanted to maximize their playoff run by having all healthy players and maybe going a round or two deep.

Ewing got hurt in I think Game 2 of the ECF that year. I remember it happened on a missed game winner in Market Square Arena and he started yelling. I just figured he was pissed he blew the game. He was critical in that Miami series against Mourning though.