PDA

View Full Version : Curry could be first unanimous MVP selection

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Interestingly, the NBA has never had a unanimous selection.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nba-mvp-2016-will-warriors-stephen-curry-be-first-ever-unanimous-selection-2329617?rel=rel1

This article is the genesis for my post (ignore border line stupid claims like Curry would still win the MVP if he sat out the rest of the season).

Traditionally in cases where it could happen, some voter went rogue:

LeBron James had an all-time great MVP season in 2012-2013, averaging 26.8 points, 8.0 rebounds and 7.3 assists per game while shooting 56.5 percent from the field. But one writer decided Carmelo Anthony was more deserving. In 1999-2000, Allen Iverson received one first-place vote, preventing Shaquille O’Neal from accomplishing the feat. The Los Angeles Lakers center had his most dominant season with 29.7 points, 13.6 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per game.

Westbrook:

The NBA’s second-best point guard is having an historic season of his own, and he has a chance to sway at least one writer’s opinion. Through 61 games, Westbrook is filling the stat sheet like no other player, averaging 24.3 points, 10.3 assists and 7.5 rebounds per game. Only Oscar Robertson has averaged at least 24/10/7 in a season, and Westbrook is doing so for a team that could win close to 60 games.

Lebron:

LeBron James is no longer the best player in the league, but he can’t be ruled out as a possibility to get a first-place vote. He’s averaging his fewest points since he was a rookie, but the four-time MVP is still putting up 24.9 points, 7.2 rebounds and 6.6 assists per game on 50.5 percent shooting. The Cleveland Cavaliers have been the No.1 seed in the Eastern Conference for almost the entire year, and they have an even better record than the Thunder.

Kawhi:

If someone does get a first-place vote because a writer believes he’s more valuable to his team than Curry, Kawhi Leonard might be the most likely player to prevent the Warriors’ star from being a unanimous selection. Leonard is the best player on the San Antonio Spurs, who are having an unbelievable season of their own.....

On paper, Curry has a lot more help than Leonard, who has led his team to nearly the same record as Golden State. Curry is aided by Klay Thompson, who scores 21.9 points per game, and Draymond Green, who leads the NBA in triple-doubles. LaMarcus Aldridge is San Antonio’s second-best player with 17.0 points and 8.4 rebounds per game, and while most teams would be lucky to have Tony Parker as their No.3 option, he’s no longer a top-five point guard, failing to play at an All-Star level. Tim Duncan remains an important part of the Spurs, but he plays just 25.2 minutes per game.
Leonard has impressive offensive numbers (20.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.5 apg), and his three-point percentage is even better than Curry’s (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points). Most importantly, he’s the NBA’s best defensive player, and the ability to shut down the opposition’s top scorer on a nightly basis is what makes Leonard most valuable.

Stabula
03-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Draymond Green is their actual MVP

Budkin
03-06-2016, 01:01 PM
I think Kawhi might get a couple votes.

K...
03-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Well, it would be pretty lame if kawhi was shut out. OTOH., if voters feel bad about it and give Kawhi DPOY and first team votes than it's probably cool. But man, imagine if Raymond gets DPOY and curry MVP. That would make me sick.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Draymond Green is their actual MVP

Well, if one voter sees it that way...

will_spurs
03-06-2016, 01:24 PM
You can always count on a clueless "journalist" from LA or NY to give a 1st place vote to Melo or Kobe.

Budkin
03-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Well, it would be pretty lame if kawhi was shut out. OTOH., if voters feel bad about it and give Kawhi DPOY and first team votes than it's probably cool. But man, imagine if Raymond gets DPOY and curry MVP. That would make me sick.

I don't think Raymond will win DPOY while Kawhi is playing like he is.

lefty20
03-06-2016, 01:46 PM
There's always that one hipster asshole who tries 2 hard to be different.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 01:59 PM
There's always that one hipster asshole who tries 2 hard to be different.

In this case, I hope so. For me, Kawhi is a closer number two than he'll get credit for; in fact, he may not even finish second. So, I'll take non-unanimous as consolation.

spurraider21
03-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Fathorst will vote for LeBron. non-story

r0drig0lac
03-06-2016, 02:20 PM
he should

SPURt
03-06-2016, 03:15 PM
There's always going to be a reporter that wants the attention of not voting with the rest

hater
03-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Yup agree. The true MVP might actually be Kawhi. We are an 8th seed without him. Golden State is still a top 4 team without Eliancito

Kawhi will bet a couple vots IMHO. Especially from a defensive fan of the game

ffadicted
03-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Well deserved, just shocked we've never had one before. Lebron seemed obvious quite a few times

tholdren
03-06-2016, 05:16 PM
too bad the people are still in love with ppg, otherwise the best all around player would get the kudos.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 06:13 PM
too bad the people are still in love with ppg, otherwise the best all around player would get the kudos.

Didn't Harden finish 2nd or 3rd in the MVP race last year? You could tell he was chucking for the award even if it wasn't in the best interest of the team.

james evans
03-06-2016, 09:23 PM
shaq should have been unanimous. I still don't know what the fuck Fred Hickman was thinking that season.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 10:12 PM
shaq should have been unanimous. I still don't know what the fuck Fred Hickman was thinking that season.

Shaq was the Lebron of his day in terms of cheating; allowed to play football out there. I'm not going to cry for him.

HarlemHeat37
03-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Curry is having the best season since 1991, tbh:lol..of course he's the MVP and should be unanimous..

Green and Thompson look very ordinary when Curry isn't on the floor, especially the latter..

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Curry is having the best season since 1991, tbh:lol..of course he's the MVP and should be unanimous..

Green and Thompson look very ordinary when Curry isn't on the floor, especially the latter..

Curry looked like sh** tonight without Iguodala there to bail him out.

100%duncan
03-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Yup agree. The true MVP might actually be Kawhi. We are an 8th seed without him. Golden State is still a top 4 team without Eliancito

Kawhi will bet a couple vots IMHO. Especially from a defensive fan of the game

:wow

Mal
03-07-2016, 05:04 AM
If defense count for MVP, Kawhi will get votes

will_spurs
03-07-2016, 05:19 AM
Lebron seemed obvious quite a few times

I think he was very close once. Just checked, he reached .998 in 2012-13. Shaq also reached .998 in 1999-2000.

In the case of Lebron some dickhead voted for Melo :lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-nba-mvp-not-unanimously-carmelo-anthony-194335300.html

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Kawhi is going to be the 1st non C/PF to win back to back DPOY of the year. I think he gets a few votes considering the drop the Spurs have in Def Eff when he is on and off the court.

james evans
03-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Kawhi is going to be the 1st non C/PF to win back to back DPOY of the year. I think he gets a few votes considering the drop the Spurs have in Def Eff when he is on and off the court.
they're gonna give that shit to draymond green. U know it and I know it so don't act shocked when it happens.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-07-2016, 10:49 AM
they're gonna give that shit to draymond green. U know it and I know it so don't act shocked when it happens.

Why! Kawhi has the best play Def eff rating in the league. Look at most writers assessment of Kawhi this year and ALMOST EVERY SINGLE one say he is the best defensive player in the league. It's what the writers think, not us fans. And going by what sports writers are writing these days, I would say Kawhi is going to win it.

will_spurs
03-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Why! Kawhi has the best play Def eff rating in the league. Look at most writers assessment of Kawhi this year and ALMOST EVERY SINGLE one say he is the best defensive player in the league. It's what the writers think, not us fans. And going by what sports writers are writing these days, I would say Kawhi is going to win it.

It's also hard to ignore the Spurs DRtg as a team with only 92.2 points allowed, knowing that Kawhi is obviously a big part of that.

james evans
03-07-2016, 11:45 AM
I think he deserves it, everyone knows he deserves it, but they aren't gonna keep giving it to him every year and they can't market Leonard like they can Green. He's the perfect player for the young fans. He's loud, obnoxious, celebrates after every basket, and even will participate in silly shit during all star weekend like a 3 point shootout with kevin hart. Fans love him. While Leonard plays like that 45 year old former D1 player at your local gym that's used to killing everyone. It's normal to him. The average fan doesn't see the HEB commercials we do. The nba has been on some bullshit for a long time.

YGWHI
03-07-2016, 02:49 PM
If defense count for MVP, Kawhi will get votes

Agree. If the both ends count and not only offensive numbers, he should have votes...

lefty
06-20-2016, 12:06 AM

:lol say what

TampaDude
06-20-2016, 12:08 AM

:lol

HarlemHeat37
06-20-2016, 12:12 AM

MVP is about the regular season , isn't it?

Stop, bro:lol

lefty
06-20-2016, 12:17 AM
MVP is about the regular season , isn't it?

Stop, bro:lol

:lol regular season
:lol little boys league

Obstructed_View
06-20-2016, 08:26 AM
I like how Adam Silver pointed out that the voting for finals MVP was unanimous.