PDA

View Full Version : Let's not forget the 2002-03 season-long pursuit of the Mavs

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
We were down at least 7 games for the #1 overall seed most of that season, too. They started off 14-0 that year and were at one point hyped to challenge the Bulls' record, too. We started off 12-9 (and later 19-13) and were no longer seen as contenders, but rather a patchy team in transition with a second-round ceiling.

Nobody, absolutely no one, gave us or anyone a snowball's chance in hell to catch Dallas. Even in early-mid March, we were still down 4, 5 games... by early April, only down 2... and we finally overtook them and clinched during the last week of the season -- such that we were actually able to punt the last game of the season to the Mavs since we had the tiebreaker.

Bottom line: we go out there, just win every damn game we can, and see where the chips fall.

:flag:

spursistan
03-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Dubs have lucked out way too many close games unfortunately and they have a cakewalk home-heavy schedule the rest of the way..Anyway, i actually just want Spurs to win 70 games even if we lose out on Top seed (17-3 is feasible)..we have had our own historical season, might as well put milestone mark next to it since we are still going to be an underdog in WCF, anyway :lol

Mr. Body
03-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Dubs should have lost out against Miami and OKC last week but somehow won. Most charmed team I've seen. I could see nerves start hitting them if they drop one or two more.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Dubs have lucked out way too many close games unfortunately and they have a cakewalk home-heavy schedule the rest of the way..Anyway, i actually just want Spurs to win 70 games even if we lose out on Top seed (17-3 is feasible)..we have had our own historical season, might as well put milestone mark next to it since we are still going to be an underdog in WCF, anyway :lol
We won't be underdogs in the WCF if we beat them out for the #1 seed by beating them outright or tying them and winning the tiebreaker.

daslicer
03-06-2016, 08:37 PM
A part of me would like to see the Spurs get 70 wins just to show how weak this league truly is.

DMC
03-06-2016, 09:01 PM
"There's a precedent!"

None of this matters. Every instance is completely different than every other instance.

Thomas82
03-06-2016, 09:53 PM
We were down at least 7 games for the #1 overall seed most of that season, too. They started off 14-0 that year and were at one point hyped to challenge the Bulls' record, too. We started off 12-9 (and later 19-13) and were no longer seen as contenders, but rather a patchy team in transition with a second-round ceiling.

Nobody, absolutely no one, gave us or anyone a snowball's chance in hell to catch Dallas. Even in early-mid March, we were still down 4, 5 games... by early April, only down 2... and we finally overtook them and clinched during the last week of the season -- such that we were actually able to punt the last game of the season to the Mavs since we had the tiebreaker.

Bottom line: we go out there, just win every damn game we can, and see where the chips fall.

:flag:

+1

Spurs 4 The Win
03-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Dubs should have lost out against Miami and OKC last week but somehow won. Most charmed team I've seen. I could see nerves start hitting them if they drop one or two more.

Spurs have given away more games than they have stolen this year and Dubs have stolen like 4 or 5 games and given away only a couple. Without their luck and our unluckiness, there is a good chance our records are switched.

Kawhitstorm
03-07-2016, 02:04 AM
We won't be underdogs in the WCF if we beat them out for the #1 seed by beating them outright or tying them and winning the tiebreaker.

Would have to beat the Worriers all 3 times & not lose there after b/c I don't see anyone else sneaking up on the Worriers after the debacle on Sunday.:lol

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 03:00 AM
Would have to beat the Worriers all 3 times & not lose there after b/c I don't see anyone else sneaking up on the Worriers after the debacle on Sunday.:lol
Even if we split with them 2-2 we have a good chance. The Warriors have 4 Western losses now, and the Spurs have 5. Therefore, in the 2-2 scenario the Warriors and Spurs will each have at least 6 Western losses. If the Warriors slip and lose another Western game, say @ Mavericks or @ Grizzlies or even @ Jazz if they're still in the playoff picture by then... look out.

spursistan
03-07-2016, 03:21 AM
Mar 7 vs Orlando
Mar 9 vs Utah
Mar 11 vs Portland
Mar 12 vs Phoenix
Mar 14 vs New Orleans
Mar 16 vs NY Knicks
Mar 18 @ Dallas
Mar 19 @ San Antonio
Mar 21 @ Minnesota
Mar 23 vs Los Angeles Clippers
Mar 25 vs Dallas
Mar 27 vs Philadelphia
Mar 29 vs Washington
Mar 30 @ Utah
Apr 1 vs Boston
Apr 3 vs Portland
Apr 5 vs Minnesota
Apr 7 vs San Antonio
Apr 9 @ Memphis
Apr 10 @ San Antonio
Apr 13 vs Memphis

High probability of Loss (1 game)
Medium probability of loss (3 games)
Low probability of loss (3 games)

Basically the Dubs have only 7 or 8 tough-ish games..I think they end up 73-9/72-10 at worst..

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 03:30 AM
Mar 7 vs Orlando
Mar 9 vs Utah
Mar 11 vs Portland
Mar 12 vs Phoenix
Mar 14 vs New Orleans
Mar 16 vs NY Knicks
Mar 18 @ Dallas
Mar 19 @ San Antonio
Mar 21 @ Minnesota
Mar 23 vs Los Angeles Clippers
Mar 25 vs Dallas
Mar 27 vs Philadelphia
Mar 29 vs Washington
Mar 30 @ Utah
Apr 1 vs Boston
Apr 3 vs Portland
Apr 5 vs Minnesota
Apr 7 vs San Antonio
Apr 9 @ Memphis
Apr 10 @ San Antonio
Apr 13 vs Memphis

High probability of Loss (1 game)
Medium probability of loss (3 games)
Low probability of loss (3 games)

Basically the Dubs have only 7 or 8 tough-ish games..I think they end up 73-9/72-10 at worst..

I would add @ Dallas and @ Memphis to that list as well as throwing out "vs Boston".

Fireball
03-07-2016, 03:38 AM
we will not catch them ... the Spurs schedule gets really tough ... many home games, but the Warriors also have more home than away games in front of them

Sean Cagney
03-07-2016, 04:42 AM
we will not catch them ... the Spurs schedule gets really tough ... many home games, but the Warriors also have more home than away games in front of them

Spurs will end up 65-66 wins at best because #2 seed will be locked up and Pop will rest guys too. I am fine with that though tbh. OKC round 2 will suck though :lol

Fireball
03-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Spurs will end up 65-66 wins at best because #2 seed will be locked up and Pop will rest guys too. I am fine with that though tbh. OKC round 2 will suck though :lol

these were my thoughts too ... but Clippers or OKC would be tough in the 2nd round

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 06:08 AM
these were my thoughts too ... but Clippers or OKC would be tough in the 2nd round
Nah. We'd pulverize the Paper Clips in 5 games. This isn't last year. We have LMA and they don't have HCA. Also, Matt Barnes is gone, fwiw :lol

OKC is dangerous as hell though... rather avoid them any way which possible.

r0drig0lac
03-07-2016, 07:42 AM
"There's a precedent!"

None of this matters. Every instance is completely different than every other instance.

100%duncan
03-07-2016, 07:45 AM

exstatic
03-07-2016, 08:03 AM
The reality is that GS isn't playing at nearly the level they were before the ASG. The break seems to have interrupted their flow. They have two bad beats since, 32 pts to POR, and 17 to the hapless Lakers. They seem to be scuffling for a lot of their wins. BBref has their expected record at 49-12, which means to some extent, they've been doing what they've been doing with smoke, mirrors, and a bit of luck. That type of thing doesn't generally last. Kerr has also stated that he will be doing rest games, no matter what.

SpursFan86
03-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Cleveland now has a bigger lead over 2nd seeded Toronto than GS has over us...pretty insane to think about :lol

Anyways, I still have a hard time seeing us finish up 1st. We have the hardest part of our schedule coming up, while GS gets to play 15 of their final 21 games at home. Making up a 3-game gap is going to be extremely tough, even if 3 of those games come against GS.

SpursFanInAustin
03-07-2016, 11:39 AM
We had some hard games in March/April of 2003 also. I am sure UNT Eagles 2016 remembers the tough stretch of at Dallas, home vs Minnesota and , home vs Lakers that year. Also beat Sacramento on March 1 that year. And won games vs NJ and at Detroit and at Boston who were the top 3 teams out East. Still got the job done. Won at Minnesota earlier in the month. They were a top 4 team that season.

houston spurs fan
03-07-2016, 11:44 AM
We had some hard games in March/April of 2003 also. I am sure UNT Eagles 2016 remembers the tough stretch of at Dallas, home vs Minnesota and , home vs Lakers that year. Also beat Sacramento on March 1 that year. And won games vs NJ and at Detroit and at Boston who were the top 3 teams out East. Still got the job done. Won at Minnesota earlier in the month. They were a top 4 team that season.
OP was 6 years old in 2003...just saying

SpursFanInAustin
03-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Pretty sharp memory for being 6. IJS

03-07-2016, 12:30 PM
If he's a senior like he says he is, he would've been 9(I'm a junior). Not much difference though tbh

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 04:33 PM
I've told you before, I was 9 in 2003... Don't be a douche.

Pretty sharp memory for being 6. IJS

If he's a senior like he says he is, he would've been 9(I'm a junior). Not much difference though tbh

I'm about to be 22 in a couple weeks here.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 04:40 PM
The vs NJ win was expected to me, the Minnesota home loss sickened me because we had that game won in the 1st half but we lost the big lead, SJax gave us hope but then we wilted like a prune in OT. The Dallas OT road win was awesome, though. Tony's first big shot that year, only the second in his career (the Seattle home win near the end of the 2002 season was his first). Home vs Lakers seemed like an expected win for us even though they had finally gotten it together by then.

Really I expected to win all the home games pretty much... @ Detroit was a toughie but they didn't have Rasheed yet that year. Claxton made some big shots in that game, IIRC. The @ Boston win was pretty easy if I remember correctly, we led by 20+ most of the way. Boston had a tendency to chuck themselves out of games when they were losing with that Pierce/Walker/chuckers team. The Boston home game earlier in the season was something else, though.