PDA

View Full Version : Pop Will Miss Next 2 Games Due to Family Medical Situation

BatManu20
03-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Messina's time to shine.

:flag:

spurraider21
03-07-2016, 12:00 PM
i hope manu can handle the 35 minutes messina will play him

hater
What happened?

BillMc
Pop leaving it up to Messina to ax Matty. :lol

BillMc
03-07-2016, 12:01 PM
In all seriousness, hope all is well with Pop and his family.

ElNono
03-07-2016, 12:06 PM
What happened to Bonner?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-07-2016, 12:09 PM
What happened to Bonner?

Pop hired a couple of his old CIA buddies to bust Matty's knees to make cutting him easier and explainable to SA fans.

FromWayDowntown
03-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Someone should write on Ettore's clipboard in all caps:

REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE KAWHI LEONARD ON YOUR TEAM.

SPURt
03-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Waiting for the headline "Matt Bonner commits suicide after getting cut by Spurs, Pop taking leave of absence"

r0drig0lac
03-07-2016, 12:15 PM
damn

BatManu20
03-07-2016, 12:16 PM
What happened?

No word.

TheDoctor
03-07-2016, 12:20 PM

That was Jim Boylen :lol Messina knows better.

Spur|n|Austin
03-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Chance for Messina to show something here - hope all is eventually alright with Pop's family.

Chinook
Ugh. Messina's coaching again. The only good that can come from that is that the Spurs win so easily that Ettore gets a job offer.

100%duncan
I would normally like to joke about this but hope everyone's fine

BatManu20
03-07-2016, 12:40 PM
After Saturday's performance, Messina is going to play Manu 40 minutes tonight tbh.

MultiTroll
03-07-2016, 12:44 PM
What happened to Bonner?

TheMulletMan3000
03-07-2016, 12:48 PM

:lol

JuneJive
03-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Ugh. Messina's coaching again. The only good that can come from that is that the Spurs win so easily that Ettore gets a job offer.

What's the reasoning behind not liking Messina as a coach?

Back in Europe he was known to make good things happen. With stacked teams, but nevertheless.

We haven't really had too much to judge on, here in SA.

Old School 44
03-07-2016, 12:58 PM
As a training exercise, they let Becky coach the team - Anderson and Simmons go off summer league style.

ElNono
03-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Messina is an excellent coach. I don't get the hate, tbh...

Chinook
03-07-2016, 01:05 PM
What's the reasoning behind not liking Messina as a coach?

Back in Europe he was known to make good things happen. With stacked teams, but nevertheless.

We haven't really had too much to judge on, here in SA.

I don't think he's a bad coach. I don't even think he's a bad assistant. But something feels off when he's sitting in for Pop. I can't put my finger on it. But I feel like the team would fall off if Messina took over full-time. Maybe I think he'd overcoach. Or that he might change a lot of things about the team to put his on mark on it. Ettore is an established guy in his own right, so I don't think he'd just stick with what has worked.

Chinook
03-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Messina is an excellent coach. I don't get the hate, tbh...

See my other response. I don't hate Messina. I just REALLY don't want him being the HC of the Spurs.

coachmac87
03-07-2016, 01:10 PM
See my other response. I don't hate Messina. I just REALLY don't want him being the HC of the Spurs.

Thanks for your support

SAGirl
03-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Messina will be fine. Coached that 1st preseason game of the season with a bunch of non nba players Nd made a good game out if it.

Frankly maybe I am biased in his favor bc Messina loves slo mo TBH :lol

EVAY
03-07-2016, 01:17 PM
I don't think he's a bad coach. I don't even think he's a bad assistant. But something feels off when he's sitting in for Pop. I can't put my finger on it. But I feel like the team would fall off if Messina took over full-time. Maybe I think he'd overcoach. Or that he might change a lot of things about the team to put his on mark on it. Ettore is an established guy in his own right, so I don't think he'd just stick with what has worked.

I have always had the same reaction to Messina. I don't question his resumé or his success other places. I don't doubt that he is a good coach generally - but I have always felt that there was something missing when he is coaching, and I have concluded (perhaps erroneously) that what is missing is the respect that the players give to Pop. I just don't see any good kind of interactions between Messina and the players when he is coaching. I don't know if we will win or lose the games while Pop is out (hope all is well there soon), but I don't expect it to feel as predictable or as 'clean' (can't figure out another word to use there) as when Pop is coaching.

Lots of guys, especially the older vets, know the system and know what to do. I don't get the impression that what Messina says makes any difference to them at all. I think that is the difference to me.

Mostly, I just hope we win.

ElNono
03-07-2016, 01:19 PM

He'll never be Pop... but that can't be a knock, I can think of anybody else that would be. Sure, he made some mistakes here or there, but even Pop has too.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Hope things are okay with the popovich family.

Chinook
03-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Respect is something Messina is going to struggle getting from a lot of players. It's clear some guys are prejudiced against coaches that they don't feel were legit players in their times. I'm sure Pop had to deal with it too, and had he not lucked into Duncan, I don't think he'd be coaching right now. Jacques Vaughn is a similar guy. Kerr and Lue have rings. Stevens seems young enough to where he probably fits well into a locker room.

I think the Spurs would be professional about it, but I do expect quite a bit of push-back for any coach that's going to replace Pop. Messina would probably be able to make it work a little. But a guy like Bud, Brown or Udoka might be better. If Ettore leaves, he'd probably get Blatted pretty early on, though. Shame.

Chinook
03-07-2016, 01:29 PM
He'll never be Pop... but that can't be a knock, I can think of anybody else that would be. Sure, he made some mistakes here or there, but even Pop has too.

I just feel that he's too established outside of the Spurs to make it work smoothly as Pop's replacement. He's not a guy who grew up in the team culture, so it would be surprising for him NOT to change things. But I feel like the Spurs will fall off their pedestal if too much changes, sort of like those floating magnetic pens.

JuneJive
03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Without further insight it's hard to tell whether he is respected enough or too little.

He would be a fine choice as a HC for any number of NBA teams, based on his experience alone.
Surround him with supportive assistants and I can't see someone having a problem with him on a professional basis.

In regards to him being Pop's heir, again, further insight is needed. We can speculate all we want.

Who knows what his ambitions are. Hell, he might not even want the HC job.

DJR210
03-07-2016, 01:37 PM

:lol

TXstbobcat
03-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Hopefully his family is okay and that it isn't serious.

BillMc
03-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Hopefully his family is okay and that it isn't serious.

I second that. Feel a little bad posting a joke in this thread.

03-07-2016, 01:42 PM
he'd probably get Blatted pretty early on, though. Shame.
Lol No. Blatt himself wouldn't have been "Blatted" if he was anywhere but that terrible franchise in Cleveland, or maybe Sac town. Blatt was openly disrespected by LeBron and the rest of the players followed suit. I doubt anyone on the Spurs would be so distasteful.

TXstbobcat
03-07-2016, 01:44 PM
I second that. Feel a little bad posting a joke in this thread.

dont feel bad. I laughed at the joke when I read it.

Chinook
03-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Lol No. Blatt himself wouldn't have been "Blatted" if he was anywhere but that terrible franchise in Cleveland, or maybe Sac town. Blatt was openly disrespected by LeBron and the rest of the players followed suit. I doubt anyone on the Spurs would be so distasteful.

I mean, you cut off the part where I clearly said that it wouldn't be on the Spurs. But you think only the Cavs mutiny on their coach, I don't think you've been looking at other teams too closely. It happens a couple times every year.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2016, 01:52 PM
^^ There's also a very overt trend of player self-empowerment led by Lebron and spreading across the league, too..

The top players in the NBA have more power than they have ever had in the past..Black activism is becoming more prevalent than at any point since the 70s, and you'll continue to see players like Lebron opting for a Black coach rather than somebody like Blatt, tbh..it probably won't be a problem for analytically-driven coaches, but Messina seems old-school..

Messina will need a co-sign from a strong, prominent figure in the organization(like Spoelstra got), but there aren't many of those in the NBA anymore..Pop, Pat Riley, Jerry West, maybe Larry Bird, but there aren't many..

03-07-2016, 01:53 PM
I mean, you cut off the part where I clearly said that it wouldn't be on the Spurs. But you think only the Cavs mutiny on their coach, I don't think you've been looking at other teams too closely. It happens a couple times every year.
Who was the last coach doing well that got axed? Karl?

but why do you think Spur players would push back, I just don't see it, unless they fell off a cliff success wise post pop. Maybe Porker after he gets benched, but other than that I think we have a lot of good character guys in the lockerroom.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2016, 01:56 PM
The prevalence of analytically-driven front offices is going to put an emphasis on coaches that excel in player-relation, too, as long as they fall in line and follow orders from the GM, re: minute allocation..

You're already seeing it in baseball, where they are reducing "bright minds" in favor of robots that will follow orders from the front office..

The remedy for this is winning early, of course..

loveforthegame
03-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Hope it's nothing serious. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

03-07-2016, 02:00 PM
^^ There's also a very overt trend of player self-empowerment led by Lebron and spreading across the league, too..

The top players in the NBA have more power than they have ever had in the past..Black activism is becoming more prevalent than at any point since the 70s, and you'll continue to see players like Lebron opting for a Black coach rather than somebody like Blatt, tbh..it probably won't be a problem for analytically-driven coaches, but Messina seems old-school..

Messina will need a co-sign from a strong, prominent figure in the organization(like Spoelstra got), but there aren't many of those in the NBA anymore..Pop, Pat Riley, Jerry West, maybe Larry Bird, but there aren't many..
Besides LeBron(notoriously uncoachable) I can't think of any top players that got their cac coach axed in favor of a Mark Jackson kind of coach. KD and WB defended Scotty til the very end, and didn't protest the hiring of Donovan. Curry and Co seem to like Kerr pretty well as well. I guess you could argue CP3/Blake but Del Negro was an awful coach and deserved the axe, and they replaced him with an Uncle Tom.

Chinook
03-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Who was the last coach doing well that got axed? Karl?

I don't think Messina would come in and do as well as Blatt, even if the players embraced him. Cleveland is surviving off the best player in the world still being the best player in the world. No team that highers Blatt is going to have that talent. So I don't think the winning part will be the issue. I think the respect part will be, and players may well mail it in to get him fired, like the Nuggets did with Shaw.

but why do you think Spur players would push back, I just don't see it, unless they fell off a cliff success wise post pop. Maybe Porker after he gets benched, but other than that I think we have a lot of good character guys in the lockerroom.

I think the team would push back against philosophical changes, especially if it changes something that is working. The Spurs have quite a few players who have grow up in the team culture, and I don't think they'll be too happy to change. And you know guys like Diaw will straight check out if they aren't feeling it, though Boris probably won't be a factor in the post-Pop era.

03-07-2016, 02:09 PM
I don't think Messina would come in and do as well as Blatt, even if the players embraced him. Cleveland is surviving off the best player in the world still being the best player in the world. No team that highers Blatt is going to have that talent. So I don't think the winning part will be the issue. I think the respect part will be, and players may well mail it in to get him fired, like the Nuggets did with Shaw.

I think the team would push back against philosophical changes, especially if it changes something that is working. The Spurs have quite a few players who have grow up in the team culture, and I don't think they'll be too happy to change. And you know guys like Diaw will straight check out if they aren't feeling it, though Boris probably won't be a factor in the post-Pop era.Fair enough :tu

DPG21920
03-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Ime is my guy.

DPG21920
03-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Or Rick Carlisle

SAGirl
03-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Frankly Chinook I see your concern, but this one is straight up speculation on you. I see the opposite of what you see. Although my favorite by far is Becky Hammon.

We have won games where Pop has sat and asked about plays run at the ends of games last season in a game against the Pacers when Pop had that hip surgery, he said they were all Pop plays. He's very personable, likeable and articulate with the media. I think he has clicked with young players in particular.

He's the most enthusiastic of all the coaches over good defensive plays. Like I said my opinion is maybe colored by how I have observed him interact with younger players like Slow-mo and Boban. He might return ultimately to Europe and said so himself in an interview. The Spurs figure to continue having international players anyways so it's a different culture here.

His contract is going to be up b4 Pop retires so I don't think he even fits the timeline, but I like what he's brought as an assistant coach.

houston spurs fan
03-07-2016, 02:46 PM

You are taking one very unique situation in the Gilbert/LeBron relationship and saying it's spreading across the league. To say that top players want to opt for a black coach is crazy talk. But even if that were the case the owners are collectively a bunch of very successful, inpatient white dudes who will hire and fire whomever they want without giving a shit about what the players think. JB Bickerstaff is gone after this season. Did Harden get McHale fired six games in after a WCF appearance because he wanted a young, unproven coach just because he happens to be black? No. And JB will get the pink slip this year no matter what Harden thinks or does because Morey runs the personnel and Alex signs the checks and makes all final calls

trolling as usual per par...

houston spurs fan
03-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Pop will pick his successor with RC and I believe it will be Monty Williams or Bret Brown (if he isn't coaching in Philly)

baseline bum
03-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Damn, I hope it's something like Pop being there for support in say a scheduled surgery to take care of something that's under control as opposed to his wife, one of his kids, one of their spouses, etc having a heart attack or something else sudden and threatening. :depressed

Kidd K
03-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Fuck, we're on a road b2b too I think? @ Pacers then @ Wolves.

Hopefully we don't drop one.

Chinook
03-07-2016, 03:03 PM
We have won games where Pop has sat and asked about plays run at the ends of games last season in a game against the Pacers when Pop had that hip surgery, he said they were all Pop plays.

Messina isn't going to call other plays when he's Pop's substitute.

He's very personable, likeable and articulate with the media. I think he has clicked with young players in particular.

He is articulate and obviously very smart. But I don't know that he's any more likable than the other coaches. I don't hear him referenced as much as the other guys, though that's anecdotal, I know.

He's the most enthusiastic of all the coaches over good defensive plays. Like I said my opinion is maybe colored by how I have observed him interact with younger players like Slow-mo and Boban. He might return ultimately to Europe and said so himself in an interview. The Spurs figure to continue having international players anyways so it's a different culture here.

I don't think he'd have the same problems in SA than he would at some other teams. I think he'd have a very different problem. The Spurs are probably the only team in the league that has a system large enough to be an entity in and of itself. It's like the Holy Ghost of the Spurs Trinity. Messina is too established to not change it. Udoka mostly grew up in it, so I think he would probably be the best as far as maintaining it. Hammond might be able to do that, too. But I don't know if she'd be ready in three years.

His contract is going to be up b4 Pop retires so I don't think he even fits the timeline, but I like what he's brought as an assistant coach.

We'll probably know his intentions when the contract is up. If he re-ups, I think he's Pop's replacement.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2016, 03:11 PM
You are taking one very unique situation in the Gilbert/LeBron relationship and saying it's spreading across the league. To say that top players want to opt for a black coach is crazy talk. But even if that were the case the owners are collectively a bunch of very successful, inpatient white dudes who will hire and fire whomever they want without giving a shit about what the players think. JB Bickerstaff is gone after this season. Did Harden get McHale fired six games in after a WCF appearance because he wanted a young, unproven coach just because he happens to be black? No. And JB will get the pink slip this year no matter what Harden thinks or does because Morey runs the personnel and Alex signs the checks and makes all final calls

trolling as usual per par...

The 2 most powerful players in the league(Paul and James) have already done it..they are also probably the 2 most influential people in the league among their peers..

Part of the reason JB Bickerstaff got his job is because he's close with the players:lol..he even goes out with them IIRC..

It'll continue to be the case, especially since analytically-driven GMs like "yes men" that don't think for themselves, as we see in baseball..

SAGirl
03-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Yes about the reupping the contract. If we win I think he will be in demand and there a lot of vacancies this season, but I do hope for his sake that he's selective where he goes. I could see him with Sean Marks in Brooklyn, his comments about wanting a good communicator struck with me.

Frankly when Pop reupped his contract I stopped assuming he's a successor bc the timelines don't fit and Messinas statement in that interview I posted during the off-season led me to believe his future is truly uncertain.

DMC
03-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Kawhi might sound like a Palestinian name to him.

DMC
03-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Next Spurs coach will be Manu Ginobili

hater
03-07-2016, 03:56 PM
As a training exercise, they let Becky coach the team - Anderson and Simmons go off summer league style.

Those pre-game private pep talks do the lords work tbh

TheDoctor
03-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Becky has my nod.

houston spurs fan
03-07-2016, 04:06 PM
The 2 most powerful players in the league(Paul and James) have already done it..they are also probably the 2 most influential people in the league among their peers..

Part of the reason JB Bickerstaff got his job is because he's close with the players:lol..he even goes out with them IIRC..

It'll continue to be the case, especially since analytically-driven GMs like "yes men" that don't think for themselves, as we see in baseball..
Doc Rivers is a championship winning coach, the fact that he is black is irrelevant. I believe Doc chose them anyways (and they gave him Pop power). I know JB goes out with players, I'm in Hosuton, well documented. So when he gets fired after the season what excuse will you say about that? He was too close?? Making blanket generalizations about race and player's mindsets is what holds us back from moving forward. KD and Westbrook would have personally made sure they hired a black coach (who has more power than those two) if your theory is true. It's hot air, meant to arouse people and draw attention to yourself.

Old School 44
03-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Damn, I hope it's something like Pop being there for support in say a scheduled surgery to take care of something that's under control as opposed to his wife, one of his kids, one of their spouses, etc having a heart attack or something else sudden and threatening. :depressed
Pop is from Indiana, not sure what, if any extended family he still has there, but it could be something like you suggest.

TheDoctor
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I read that Nancy Reagan died yesterday. Perhaps Pop was her lover

Ditty
03-07-2016, 05:56 PM
I want Ime to be the next coach for the Spurs. Think Messenia ends up in Brooklyn this offseason.

Kawhitstorm
03-07-2016, 06:02 PM

If it was something serious or someone very close then it would have been "out indefinitely" like Rick Adelam for rather than next 2 games.

Solid D
03-07-2016, 06:58 PM
I hope everything turns out okay for the Popovich family.

Messina will be fine, filling in for Pop. He has a successful career in coaching and was ranked second all-time (last time I checked) among Euroleague head coaches with four titles won.

Splits
03-07-2016, 07:27 PM
I read that Nancy Reagan died yesterday. Perhaps Pop was her lover

Yeah, he was pounding her anally and eating that sweet first lady pussy