PDA

View Full Version : Jets Pennington out the year

goliath
09-26-2005, 08:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2172700

Report: Jets QB Chad Pennington out for seasonESPN.com news services

A New York Jets source has confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that team doctor Elliot Pellman told team officials the MRI on Chad Pennington shows a tear of the rotator cuff -- and that the QB would be out for the season.

However, Pennington is still due to visit with Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. on Tuesday to go over the existing MRI and take other tests.

Andrews cautions that Monday's MRI results could actually show that Pennington merely damaged scar tissue from his earlier surgery which would not be as serious. Andrews said that he hopes that new tests taken on Tuesday would definitively determine whether Pennington sustained a rotator cuff tear.

The Associated Press first reported Pennington would be lost for the season, saying it was confirmed by a person with knowledge of his condition, but who declined to be identified because the team had not made an official announcement.

An MRI exam showed Pennington tore his rotator cuff in Sunday's 26-20 overtime loss to Jacksonville. The NFL Network originally reported the injury, the second time Pennington has had this tear in less than a year.

The Jets were already preparing for third-string QB Brooks Bollinger to lead the team Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Pennington, who had offseason surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder, was sacked on consecutive plays during the Jets' first series of the second half against Jacksonville. On third-and-11, Pennington was taken down by Bobby McCray and the quarterback fumbled for the second straight down and recovered the ball, but his shoulder was injured on the play.

His backup Jay Fiedler came in, but was hit while completing a 16-yard pass to Justin McCareins -- his sixth play in place of Pennington -- with 13:09 left in the fourth quarter. A downcast Fiedler indicated after the game that he was fearing the worst.

"I kind of landed with my arm above my shoulder and I felt something go," he said Sunday. "I knew I wasn't going to be able to throw a football."

Offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger told The New York Times that Fiedler will definitely be out for Sunday's game against the Ravens.

Pennington came back to lead the Jets on two scoring drives, both capped by field goals, but clearly was hurting and said after the game that the injury felt "similar to last year." Even so, Edwards thought he and Pennington had made the right call by letting him back in against the Jaguars instead of going with Bollinger -- though the play calling was limited by Pennington not being able to throw long.

"He gave us the best chance to do what we needed to do to win the game," Edwards said. "I had reservations, but he was able to go in and do some things."

The Jets are bringing in three quarterbacks -- Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer and Jonathan Quinn -- for a tryout, ESPN's John Clayton has learned.

Another player who might be considered is former Dallas starter Quincy Carter, who played for the Jets in 2004 and started three games.

As for Bollinger, he's looking at his NFL starting debut as a chance to show the Jets what he can do -- but he's focused on the task at hand: beating the Ravens.

"I think anytime you get an opportunity in there as a quarterback, especially not being a first-round pick or whatever, it's an unbelievable opportunity," he said. "It can turn into anything, but again, there's enough on my mind and I have enough to worry about this week that whatever it turns out to be vdown the road, fine, great, but I'm just worried about this week."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Duff McCartney
09-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Damn Jets can't catch a fucking break.....sucks for the Chad. I like him...he was fucking bad ass at Marshall.

Dre_7
09-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Too bad for Pen. I liked him.:depressed

Having a player get hurt is always sad, but I am excited to see how Bollinger is gonna do.

IceColdBrewski
09-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Gonna be a long year if they have to depend on Bolinger. Might as well go out and sign Tim Couch or Akili Smith if you want to take a chance.

Dre_7
09-26-2005, 10:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/badger/image/2001/brooks110301.jpg

Brooks Bollinger

Height: 6-1
Weight: 205
DOB: November 15, 1979

Stats from his Senior year at Wisconsin (2002):
CMP: 131
ATT: 245
YDS: 1758
CMP%: 53.5
YPA: 7.18
TD: 14
INT: 4
RAT: 88.8

Not bad for a QB playing in a Run oriented offense. :)

Dre_7
09-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Gonna be a long year if they have to depend on Bolinger.

They said the same thing about Kurt Warner when Trent Green went down. :lol

Horry For 3!
09-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Jay Fielder might be out for the season as well so they will have to sign some QB.

Horry For 3!
09-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Kurt Warner also played in Arena Football which is high competition. Unlike Bollinger who has only played College ball.

IceColdBrewski
09-27-2005, 12:24 AM

You're delusional if you think Bolinger will be the second coming of Kurt Warner.

Wasn't Bolinger known more as a runner than a passer at Wisconsin? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Dre_7
09-27-2005, 03:00 AM
You're delusional if you think Bolinger will be the second coming of Kurt Warner.

Wasn't Bolinger known more as a runner than a passer at Wisconsin? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

:lol Dude chill. I am NOT saying he will be the next Warner. In all honesty, I would LOVE to see him succeed. I love seeing any players from my State succeed. But being realistic, I wouldnt put money on him being a long term starting QB in the NFL.

I am just a fan from Wisconsin. Most of my "braging" about Wisconsin players in Pro sports in done in jest. There are a very few state althletes that make it big time in pro sports.

Honestly, as of right now, the most succesful state athlete (in the pros) is Michael Finley. D Wade and Lee Evens will most likely pass him soon. Other than that, not many guys from my state become stars in the pros. Thats why I like to joke about "my guys" whenever I can.

But back to the issue at hand. Brooks Bollinger. Do I want him to become a star? Hell yeah. Do I think he will. Hell no! :lol But a guy can hope, right?

Wisconsin is NOT like Texas, Cali, or Florida when it comes to athletes. We gotta take what we can get. :)

Jimcs50
09-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Sorry Marcus....your luck still sucks with your team.

:(

SWC Bonfire
09-27-2005, 09:37 AM
This spells the end for Pennington's career, unless he enjoys holding for extra points and field goals.

Obstructed_View
09-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Go Vinny!

Duff McCartney
09-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Can't believe they signed Vinny Testaverde...that old dog needs to be put down.

sa_butta
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Jets, Pennington dealt another setbackhttp://m.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v5|3300|0|0|%2a|h;44306;0-0;0;10732674;238-150|30;0|0|0;u=QzQaZwq0DrQAAG56YOk;~sscs=%3f)http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/sponsorships.nfl.com/fs/stories;arena=nfl;feat=stories;type=psa;team=NYJ;u ser=Anonymous;cust=no;vip=no;sz=150x30;tile=5;ord= 736831127849458? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/sponsorships.nfl.com/fs/stories;arena=nfl;feat=stories;type=psa;team=NYJ;u ser=Anonymous;cust=no;vip=no;sz=150x30;tile=5;ord= 736831127849458?)

NFL.com wire reports

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Sept. 27, 2005) -- Chad Pennington's (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187395) season is done and his future with the New York Jets (http://www.nfl.com/teams/news/NYJ) in doubt as he heads for a second rotator cuff surgery.

Coach Herman Edwards said his starting quarterback is out for the rest of 2005 with a torn rotator cuff, the same injury he had repaired in February. Pennington re-injured his right shoulder Sept. 25 in a 26-20 overtime loss to Jacksonville.

Jay Fiedler (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12363), who replaced Pennington, also went down with a serious shoulder injury, and Edwards said "it could be the season, as well" for him.

Vinny Testaverde (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1007), 41, who led the Jets to the 1998 AFC title game and was the starter before Pennington replaced him in 2002, was signed, although third-stringer Brooks Bollinger (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395929) will start Oct. 2 at Baltimore.

"I anticipate he will be out for the season," Edwards said of Pennington. "I've never been in the situation where you lose the No. 1 and 2 QBs in a span of seven plays."

Edwards said Testaverde will be the No. 2 quarterback, and the team planned to sign another quarterback.

An MRI exam Sept. 26 revealed the tear to Pennington's rotator cuff. Pennington and Fiedler were both in Alabama consulting with Dr. James Andrews, the noted orthopedist who performed the surgery on Pennington's shoulder earlier this year.

Edwards feels bad for Pennington.

"It is harder for me because we know all the work he has put into it," Edwards said. "The doctors had him on a schedule that got him back this season. What do you say to a guy about that?

"He'll do what he has to do to come back. But it is tough. He's a little down."

After the game, Pennington said the pain was similar to last season, when he initially hurt his shoulder.

"It's frustrating and demoralizing," Pennington said. "I worked really hard to get back to playing, putting in all the extra hours in over time, and trying to come back to be out there on the field. When something like that happens, it really tests you. It tests your willpower, your mind and your confidence."

Testaverde, who started for Dallas last season, took a physical at the Jets' training complex before he was signed.

Pennington's future might be in jeopardy after his career got off to such a promising start.

In 2002, Pennington replaced the ineffective Testaverde following a 1-3 start and led the Jets to the playoffs. Pennington led the NFL with a 104.2 passer rating and was on the fast track to revitalize a snakebitten franchise.

Then the injuries started. In 2003, he broke his wrist in the preseason and missed the first six regular-season games. Nonetheless, the Jets gave him a lucrative contract before last season started, banking their future on him.

He hurt his shoulder in November and missed three games, but returned to lead the Jets back into the playoffs. Pennington played with the rotator cuff torn, and the team revealed the extent of the injury once the season ended.

The Jets put Pennington on a fast track to be ready for the 2005 opener, even though he would be seven months removed from surgery and a stranger to the offense being installed by new coordinator Mike Heimerdinger.

Pennington looked shaky in all three games. He fumbled six times against Kansas City, and struggled mightily against Miami and Jacksonville. His balls floated, and many lacked velocity. In three games, the Jets scored 37 points on offense and Pennington was 49-for-83 for 530 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions.

Edwards said on Sept. 26 the team had no regrets about starting the season with Pennington.

"We knew going in the only way he was going to get ready to play was he had to play," Edwards said. "When you're dealing with something like that, did we think he was going to be 100 percent? No. But he had to throw the ball. He wanted to do it. We thought we brought him along right."

Edwards also had no regrets about allowing Pennington to go back into the game when Fielder was hurt.

"He gave us the best chance to do what we needed to do to win the game," Edwards said. "I had reservations, but he was able to go in and do some things."

Fiedler was acquired this season to give Pennington an experienced backup. Fiedler took all the snaps during offseason training activities and he shared much of the preseason work. That won't do much good now.

Pennington and Edwards have a close relationship, and Edwards said it was too difficult to even talk to his star player Sept. 26.

"You feel bad, you really do," Edwards said. "Makes your stomach hurt. You never know why. You try to sit and try to figure out why. You can't figure out why. Just part of the game, I guess."

Even though I hate the Jets, I would rather play them when they are completely healthy. Go Fins.
Revenge will be sweet.

Duncan21
09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/badger/image/2001/brooks110301.jpg

Brooks Bollinger

DOB: November 15, 1079

Stats from his Senior year at Wisconsin (2002): a QB playing in a Run oriented offense. :)

wow, hes old :lol

batman2883
09-27-2005, 06:11 PM
What happened to Quincy Carter.....too much coke?

Horry For 3!
09-27-2005, 06:35 PM
What happened to Quincy Carter.....too much coke?
Yes, he broke too many policies.

batman2883
09-27-2005, 06:37 PM
ha ha ha ha ha oh well Chad sucked anyways, he didnt have a gun for an arm he had a pillow throwing arm, he was too soft

Dre_7
09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
wow, hes old :lol

:lmao

Oops!

Fixed now. :p

Jimcs50
09-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I say he is NOT out for the year. :smokin

What do you say about that?

samikeyp
09-28-2005, 08:45 AM
we should set up a retirement vbookie to see who goes first.....Pennington or Grossman. :p