03-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Not the right move...

But hey, I'm not in the FO.

jyra
03-09-2016, 01:05 PM
:depressed

SpursforSix
03-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Oh well. Wasn't the right move imo. But it's won't have a bearing on what happens this year I guess.

lefty
03-09-2016, 01:07 PM
wtf is this shit

Dverde
03-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Pop must have taken a blue pill, because his Bonner will not go away.

benefactor
03-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Classless move imvho
Agreed. None of the three that were on the chopping block are going to matter in the playoffs or long term, but it's kinda shitty to bring a guy in that doesn't complain, plays decent when he's in there and mentors your young guys then kick him to the curb without even a chance to get a spot on a post season roster. Again, Pop loves chuckers and Butler isn't one. Thems the brakes.

Darius Bieber
03-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Matt Bonner must have some kind of dirt on Pop or RC to not be let go.

benefactor
03-09-2016, 01:10 PM
We do get our annual Bonner meltdown though.:lol

Agloco
Now convinced that Bonners got some dirt on Pop.
:lmao :lmao

'Atta boy Matty. :pop:

ElNono
Classless move imvho

Agreed. None of the three that were on the chopping block are going to matter in the playoffs or long term, but it's kinda shitty to bring a guy in that doesn't complain, plays decent when he's in there and mentors your young guys then kick him to the curb without even a chance to get a spot on a post season roster. Again, Pop loves chuckers and Butler isn't one. Thems the brakes.

He'll get a ring if we win it all, imo...

Chinook
We'll see if it works out. I have no doubt they'll at least offer him a ring if they can win it all. But yeah, they could have totally released him earlier. In fact, they totally should have done so and asked him to hang around until they knew about Martin. Would have kept everyone's options open that way. Definitely classless, the way it went down, but it's also likely Butler wouldn't have been that sought after anyway.

NASpurs
03-09-2016, 01:11 PM
The human cockroach lives another day. His blackmail over Pop is no joke.

ElNono
03-09-2016, 01:13 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao at this Express-News article from 2 weeks ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Spurs were in Los Angeles earlier on this road trip when the NBA trade deadline came and went.

At the moment the proverbial clock struck midnight — or noon, rather — the Spurs were finishing shootaround at the Staples Center in preparation for a game against the Clippers that night.

When it became clear that no moves would be made, Rasual Butler looked at teammate Ray McCallum and smiled.

“We made it,” Butler said, grasping McCallum in a brief bro hug.

Truth be told, Butler hadn’t been sweating the deadline that much. Not really.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Butler-has-made-a-career-out-of-staying-6847275.php

:lol neither on the team right now

lefty
03-09-2016, 01:13 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 01:14 PM
We'll see if it works out. I have no doubt they'll at least offer him a ring if they can win it all. But yeah, they could have totally released him earlier. In fact, they totally should have done so and asked him to hang around until they knew about Martin. Would have kept everyone's options open that way. Definitely classless, the way it went down, but it's also likely Butler wouldn't have been that sought after anyway.

Because he's overrated and people need to chill..Matt Bonner means more to the players and organization and city more than Rasual Butler ever will..

Good luck to him tho and hopefully he can get his ring from us

Mikeanaro
Pop is fucking Bon Bon´s wife, there is no other explanation to this bullshit.

BatManu20
The Spurs would cut Timmy before they part ways with Bonner tbh.

ceperez

Like I told you... telegraphed my Messina.

Never doubt me again.

r0drig0lac
03-09-2016, 01:15 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smipctoss.gif

Chinook
Because he's overrated

Hasn't stopped being better than Martin though.

NASpurs

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Spurs were in Los Angeles earlier on this road trip when the NBA trade deadline came and went.

At the moment the proverbial clock struck midnight — or noon, rather — the Spurs were finishing shootaround at the Staples Center in preparation for a game against the Clippers that night.

When it became clear that no moves would be made, Rasual Butler looked at teammate Ray McCallum and smiled.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Butler-has-made-a-career-out-of-staying-6847275.php

:lol that's fucked up

Robz4000
03-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Also, fuck Bonner.

loveforthegame
03-09-2016, 01:18 PM
I can't believe they did Butler like that.

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Hasn't stopped being better than Martin though.

Riiiight. Since you even just said it didn't really matter when they cut him because playoff teams weren't going to add him.

Yet Mavs, Rockets, Hawks, Spurs picked up the phone immediately for Martin.

Makes sense

TheGreatYacht
03-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Fuck that ginger piece of shit. He said he wanted to play more years, his yes men will let him play more years. RC and Pop are cucks.

Chinook
Riiiight. Since you even just said it didn't really matter when they cut him because playoff teams weren't going to add him.

Yet Mavs, Rockets, Hawks, Spurs picked up the phone immediately for Martin.

Makes sense

Yep. Still appealing to authority, I see.

SayTown
Martin isn't even that much of an upgrade over Butler, doesn't make sense.

BatManu20
Bonner might be getting waived soon too tbh :lol

benefactor
03-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Like I told you... telegraphed my Messina.

Never doubt me again.
Oh look...the blind ass beaner squirrel located a nut. Congrats. Here you go breh:

http://www.universitytrophies.com/images/p500x500/basketball-trophy-awards-N446hr.jpg

Dex
Feels fuckin' dirty tbh. Butler came in, did everything that was asked of him, and produced...and he gets kicked to the curb.

Meanwhile, Bonner hasn't done shit save for hit a few threes in the past few games, and has a clear-cut role carved out for him in the FO...and somehow avoids the axe.

Martin is obviously an upgrade over Butler at this point but still....pretty classless move if you ask me.

JuneJive
Bonner's been with the Spurs for 10 years.

He's still a better 3PT shooter than Butler and you know how he can help you against OKC.

I'm sure Butler's a nice guy. Tough luck.

ceperez
03-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Let's be honest, despite Bonner not playing a lot of minutes, we really don't know how well he was doing in practice..

Too bad, Spurs lose a guy who may have been able to cover D.Green, Barnes or Igoudola. I gather Spurs had their reasons to keep Bonner.

Nathan89
PlayBonner

:flag:

Chinook

Would have been interested in Neal back as a buyout guy, honestly. Like him more than Martin as a spot-up guy, and he knows most of the guys already.

Agloco
03-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Let's be honest, despite Bonner not playing a lot of minutes, we really don't know how well he was doing in practice..

Too bad, Spurs lose a guy who may have been able to cover D.Green, Barnes or Igoudola. I gather Spurs had their reasons to keep Bonner.

He's the secret weapon vs GSW.

NASpurs

They don't even play the same position. Martin is here for the times the Spurs get more icy than hot Green.

SpursFan86
I mean I agree it's shitty that they did that to Butler, but would it have been any less shitty if they did it to Bonner (a guy who has actually been a part of the Spurs' family for nearly a decade)? People always bring up how the Spurs should just offer Bonner a FO position and act like that would make cutting him perfectly okay...but what if that's not what he wants? What if he's still determined to play and get one more chance at winning a title? Is cutting him and robbing him of his potential last chance at a ring really any less fucked up than doing the same to Butler?

Seems to me like it was a lose-lose situation. Either way they were going to have do someone dirty.

edit: don't get me wrong, I still think I'd rather have Butler than Bonner. Just find it weird that some people are acting like it's such a horrible thing for Butler, and then turning around and saying "god dammit we should've gotten rid of that ginger fuck!" :lol

ceperez
03-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Feels fuckin' dirty tbh. Butler came in, did everything that was asked of him, and produced...and he gets kicked to the curb.

Meanwhile, Bonner hasn't done shit save for hit a few threes in the past few games, and has a clear-cut role carved out for him in the FO...and somehow avoids the axe.

Martin is obviously an upgrade over Butler at this point but still....pretty classless move if you ask me.

Decisions are made on what happens on the court and also in practice. We don't know the reasoning, but clearly something about Bonner's game tipped them from waiving him.

MoSpur
03-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Not surprised. I honestly think Butler fits more of a need this season than Bonner does. Bonner has looked good lately though. Oh well. Butler was a nice pickup for the time he was here. Him being waived will not improve or hurt our championship chances.

ceperez
Would have been interested in Neal back as a buyout guy, honestly. Like him more than Martin as a spot-up guy, and he knows most of the guys already.

He wasn't waived before the deadline. He can't play in the playoffs. Too late, maybe next year.

rjv
classless talk about a league where trades and waivers are the standard operating procedure is pretty presumptive.

Dre_7
Sucks because I really liked Butler's attitude and shooting, but in the end he wasn't going to play big minutes in the playoffs. I trust Pop and RC.

TheGreatYacht
03-09-2016, 01:25 PM
People thinking Bonner "spaced the floor" and was "useful" against OKC :lmao

http://youtu.be/TMCbMmg1hz8

^ the guy who was actually useful.

SayTown
03-09-2016, 01:25 PM
They don't even play the same position. Martin is here for the times the Spurs get more icy than hot Green.

Yeah because defense doesn't matter.

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 01:26 PM
I mean I agree it's shitty that they did that to Butler, but would it have been any less shitty if they did it to Bonner (a guy who has actually been a part of the Spurs' family for nearly a decade)? People always bring up how the Spurs should just offer Bonner a FO position and act like that would make cutting him perfectly okay...but what if that's not what he wants? What if he's still determined to play and get one more chance at winning a title? Is cutting him and robbing him of his potential last chance at a ring really any less fucked up than doing the same to Butler?

Seems to me like it was a lose-lose situation. Either way they were going to have do someone dirty.

edit: don't get me wrong, I still think I'd rather have Butler than Bonner. Just find it weird that some people are acting like it's such a horrible thing for Butler, and then turning around and saying "god dammit we should've gotten rid of that ginger fuck!" :lol

This.

NASpurs
03-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Yeah because defense doesn't matter.

He's filling the Belinelli hole, and PATFO jumped on him immediately after being waived for that reason.

Spurs9
03-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Bonner will never be off our roster, how can we already waive Butler???? :depressed

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Yep. Still appealing to authority, I see.

I'm sorry you hate Kevin Martin man..but your Butler > Martin argument doesn't hold water man. Just let it go.

Kawhitstorm
03-09-2016, 01:30 PM

Again, nobody wanted to sign him after he had a solid season in Washington so chances are he would have been nothing more than a 10-day contract guy if he was released.

Ron Swanson
Not a fan of cutting Butler, but oh well.

Dre_7

:tu

Spurs9
03-09-2016, 01:31 PM
:lmao maybe Bonner draining those 3's last night saved him tbh :lol

Robz4000

He'd get a ring regardless if he were cut or not. If he wanted another ring getting playing time, he isn't going to get it here unless someone gets hurt and should that happen the Spurs are sunk anyway.

tmtcsc
Dog shit move. Bonner should have been cut. He was spared for sentimental reasons. Soft ass PATFO.

will_spurs
03-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Agreed. None of the three that were on the chopping block are going to matter in the playoffs or long term, but it's kinda shitty to bring a guy in that doesn't complain, plays decent when he's in there and mentors your young guys then kick him to the curb without even a chance to get a spot on a post season roster.

This.

Chinook
03-09-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry you hate Kevin Martin man..but your Butler > Martin argument doesn't hold water man. Just let it go.

You've yet to make an argument that passes any informal logic test.

AFMadison
03-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Good move imo
Spurs fam sticking together

houston spurs fan
It's not like Butler was seeing any minutes in the playoffs. Why waive a tenured guy like Bonner over Rasul? This is an irrelevant move...

SpursFan86
He'd get a ring regardless if he were cut or not. If he wanted another ring getting playing time, he isn't going to get it here unless someone gets hurt and should that happen the Spurs are sunk anyway.

Come on, you know what I mean. By that argument Butler will get a ring regardless if he's cut or not too. Winning a ring while being there for the whole ride is much different (from a personal satisfaction standpoint) than winning a ring after you were cut in March. You and I both know that.

Neither one of these guys were going to get much playing time in the playoffs. They both just wanted to be on the team and at least have the chance to contribute should the opportunity come up. Both of them are in what could very well be their last NBA season, so this would be their last chance at a playoff run. No matter who got cut, someone was going to get fucked over and potentially robbed of one final opportunity. It's shitty for Butler, but it would've been just as shitty if it happened to Bonner instead. That's all I'm saying.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Ridiculous. Cut Bonner and put him in the front office or end of the bench as a coach.

When you are going to have to go through LAC and GSW, giving up a solid wing who has shown he can play some D to keep around the greatest playoff choker of a big man we've ever had is just stupid.

ceperez
03-09-2016, 01:36 PM

:bobo

besides, Butler has been thrown to the curb plenty of times in his career. He'll survive.

TheGreatYacht
03-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Where do I even begin? First off, if Bonner was still determined to play, he can't. The scrub got hurt in 3 minutes of playing time after being DNP and he's absolutely useless when it's not garbage time. Second, he has 2 titles compared to Butler who is ringless. Third, a decade, 10 years, that's how much the Spurs have given him worth of contracts just to be a pile of shit. He owes the Spurs, not the other way around. The front office suggestion is even going too far, like I said, Spurs don't owe him a thing.

No. Butler was actually useful and was a decent defender, probably our third best wing defender behind Wingstop. He was also athletic. Bonner? He just runs around like a hunchback and that's about all he does.

I mean, it is terrible what we did to Butler. He played great when called upon and then cut him after the playoff eligible deadline. While Bonner just collected DNP- sore vagina all year

Spurs9
03-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Obviously the move was for specific reasons that none of us will know right now. It comes down to who they think will be most effective in a playoff run, for a specific matchup. Despite if you like Bonner or not he has the experience deep in the playoffs over the last 10 years. The move was surprising to me, but then again we have been able to score Andre Miller and Kevin Martin in this last week I don't think many would have expected. At the end of the day the roster has been upgraded, and the Spurs are all in to win it this year. I trust the decisions and thoughts they make tbh

Obstructed_View
03-09-2016, 01:41 PM
What an absolute dickbag move.

ceperez
03-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Obviously the move was for specific reasons that none of us will know right now. It comes down to who they think will be most effective in a playoff run, for a specific matchup. Despite if you like Bonner or not he has the experience deep in the playoffs over the last 10 years. The move was surprising to me, but then again we have been able to score Andre Miller and Kevin Martin in this last week I don't think many would have expected. At the end of the day the roster has been upgraded, and the Spurs are all in to win it this year. I trust the decisions and thoughts they make tbh

They see the two in practice for months. They've seen them off the court. They've got all sorts of advanced stats. They scout the opponents. They strategize. Hell, they know a lot more than us outsiders.. If Bonner sticks, then it was meant to be.

timtonymanu
03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
rofl looks like I was wrong. Tbh, Rasual Butler isn't the difference for winning a title, but I agree this is a dick move. He has the right to take it personal.

cd021
03-09-2016, 01:42 PM

Damn, thats brutal. At least they both new when the deadline was unlike Swaggy

quentin_compson
03-09-2016, 01:43 PM
It's probably unreasonable, but somehow, this feels wrong - definitely more wrong than cutting Bonner would have, for me, at least.

NASpurs
03-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Spurs kept this guy:

http://www.cultofmac.com/328302/iphone-6-ended-my-season-cries-nba-player-matt-bonner/

In a recent interview the basketball player revealed that he believes the iPhone 6’s larger screen contributed to his poor shooting performance, and gave him a season-ending injury in the form of a serious case of tennis elbow.

“Everybody is going to find this hilarious, but here’s my theory on how I got it,” Bonner told the Concord Monitor. “When the new iPhone came out it was way bigger than the last one, and I think because I got that new phone it was a strain to use it, you have to stretch further to hit the buttons, and I honestly think that’s how I ended up developing it.”

turkish spurs fan
03-09-2016, 01:45 PM
who is he ?

sasaint
He's filling the Belinelli hole, and PATFO jumped on him immediately after being waived for that reason.

Nothing about this seems "immediate" to me, tbh. Just how many coin tosses did it take for PATFO to decide between Bonner and Butler? :lol

TheDoctor
Matt Bonner must have some kind of dirt on Pop or RC to not be let go.

And I bet he have on the BIg3 too, specially Tony. Those guys are consulted in these type of decisions.

timtonymanu
03-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Dog shit move. Bonner should have been cut. He was spared for sentimental reasons. Soft ass PATFO.

NASpurs
Nothing about this seems "immediate" to me, tbh. Just how many coin tosses did it take for PATFO to decide between Bonner and Butler? :lol

They were waiting for the road trip to be over.

bigfan
business is business

Spurs9
03-09-2016, 01:47 PM
You could have gotten rid of Butler and Bonner, I'm just glad we have Kmart tbh

urunobili
03-09-2016, 01:48 PM

SPURt
It's official, Pop raped Bonner and Bonner has blackmailed years out of it.

mexicanjunior
Stupid decision...Butler would have been a defensive contributor in the playoffs. Bonner will be nothing but a liability come post season.

SpursFan86
Where do I even begin? First off, if Bonner was still determined to play, he can't. The scrub got hurt in 3 minutes of playing time after being DNP and he's absolutely useless when it's not garbage time. Second, he has 2 titles compared to Butler who is ringless. Third, a decade, 10 years, that's how much the Spurs have given him worth of contracts just to be a pile of shit. He owes the Spurs, not the other way around. The front office suggestion is even going too far, like I said, Spurs don't owe him a thing.

No. Butler was actually useful and was a decent defender, probably our third best wing defender behind Wingstop. He was also athletic. Bonner? He just runs around like a hunchback and that's about all he does.

I mean, it is terrible what we did to Butler. He played great when called upon and then cut him after the playoff eligible deadline. While Bonner just collected DNP- sore vagina all year

I agree that it's terrible what happened to Butler. I just also think it would've been just as terrible if they did the same thing to Bonner. That's all I'm saying.

You're clearly not the biggest fan of Bonner (as evidenced by your claim that he's been a pile of shit for practically his entire time with the organization :lol ), so this is a pointless argument...but he's a serviceable defender, and he's done well at hitting the 3-ball this year. If Butler was even shooting just 35% from 3, this wouldn't be a conversation, but unfortunately he was never able to find his shot and shooting 30% from 3 is hardly going to space the floor. As for his health, I'll assume the Spurs have done their due diligence and think that Bonner will be healthy and good to go going forward.

benefactor
03-09-2016, 01:49 PM
They see the two in practice for months. They've seen them off the court. They've got all sorts of advanced stats. They scout the opponents. They strategize. Hell, they know a lot more than us outsiders.. If Bonner sticks, then it was meant to be.
You should start a thread about your bulletproof theories.

NameLess Scrub
They should have at least do this when he was still eligible to join another team for the playoffs.

Feel bad for Rasual.. and Martin doesn't really seem like a great upgrade.
I get Pop knows more than us, but given the loyalty side of the Spurs you never know if keeping Bonner is more of a loyalty move than an actual basketball move.

Hopefully Martin can have an actual impact when it matters.

Spurs9
:lol You guys thinking the FO would make emotion or sentimental decisions.
Its about what they think the best chance of winning is, despite you not wanting Bonner on the roster at the end of the day they aren't making emotional decisions like some of you would be making in the FO.

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 01:50 PM

Uh the Spurs FO agrees with me.

What logic you preaching again? Your wack analytic scouting report on Martin?

AZK619
03-09-2016, 01:50 PM
About damn time K-Mart is on the roster. Rasual will still get a ring if the Spurs win the chip. Lol, at this being bad for business. Like other title contenders have never released players to make room on their roster for better players.:lol

Spurs going for that Warriors ass, tbh. This team needs all the weapons it can have against the Splash Twinks..:lobt2:

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-09-2016, 01:51 PM
What a bitch move by PATFO.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Name the last postseason game he contributed positively too. I'm talking game changing. He does a great job of shooting when we're up 30 or down 30. Put him in a close game? He turns into a walking vagina.

szkorhetz
03-09-2016, 01:55 PM

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Uh the Spurs FO agrees with me.

What logic you preaching again? Your wack analytic scouting report on Martin?

That doesn't mean you, or the front office, is right. Pop still squints every time he sees Bonner and thinks he's got Big Shot Rob out there. Fact of the matter is, it's Dwayne Schintzius without the mullet.

apalisoc_9
03-09-2016, 01:56 PM

Ignore him bro. Hes hilarious when he tries to talk ball :lol

DPG21920
03-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Look, I don't think it was classless, but that's me. I am sure everyone was communicated with and with all the injuries, SA couldn't afford to do things perfectly. I think Butler understands and unfortunately due to the timing of everything with Martin (the guy SA really wanted despite what we on ST think) going up to the last minute, they couldn't waive anyone for the off chance they might get Martin if he was bought out.

I think they made the right basketball move as well. Bonner got healthy at the right time and tbh has looked pretty damn good on both ends. Will it last and will he play a lot? No, but I think a healthy Bonner brings more to the Spurs than Butler.

timtonymanu
03-09-2016, 01:57 PM

He has two rings. Butler hasn't ever won one. Bonner should have fucked off two seasons ago, tbh.

Spurs9
03-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Name the last postseason game he contributed positively too. I'm talking game changing. He does a great job of shooting when we're up 30 or down 30. Put him in a close game? He turns into a walking vagina.
And yet still more experience in the postseason than Butler.

loveforthegame
03-09-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm sure Butler will treasure his token ring should the Spurs win or if they even bother offering him one. I'm positive he'll be thrilled getting one for being waived.

coachmac87
That doesn't mean you, or the front office, is right. Pop still squints every time he sees Bonner and thinks he's got Big Shot Rob out there. Fact of the matter is, it's Dwayne Schintzius without the mullet.

This isn't about Bonner over Butler..

This about Chinook claiming Butler is a better player than Martin.

NASpurs
This is what Mugen wanted. Enjoy bro :lol :tu

(talking about Butler getting cut and ST melting down)

Maddog
It's not a shock.
36 year old journeyman. Shot .306 from three this year.
Bonner?
Despite the hate he has his uses,

Bottom line we are debating guys who won't suit up much.

Canyonero
03-09-2016, 02:00 PM
15 to the rafters tbh

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Ignore him bro. Hes hilarious when he tries to talk ball :lol

Go fuck your Aunt.

Budkin
03-09-2016, 02:02 PM
So fucking pissed. The Bonner blackmailing of Pop continues.

BatManu20
03-09-2016, 02:03 PM

Beaverfuzz
Dumb to dump Butler instead of Boner.

NO problem with Martin even though he's a piece of shit but bad move Spurs. UGH.

timtonymanu
Is SpurPadre still alive, tbh?

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 02:04 PM
I hope karma doesn't hit PATFO for this dick move.

MoSpur
I doubt Butler woulda made a huge difference come playoff time. Only because there probably wouldn't be enough minutes for him to play unless it was garbage time. However, I think Butler would be more useful if needed. Not sure if that makes sense. :lol

loveforthegame
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--spurs-waive-rasual-butler-to-make-room-for-kevin-martin-182620539.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Martin committed to sign with the Spurs last week, but the franchise labored over the decision to release Butler or Matt Bonner, league sources told The Vertical. The Spurs waited until Wednesday to inform Butler of the decision because coach Gregg Popovich missed the team’s two-game road trip that ended Tuesday night, sources said.

The Spurs always have either Popovich or general manager R.C. Buford tell a player in person that he's been let go, sources said.

Budkin
03-09-2016, 02:05 PM
:bobo

besides, Butler has been thrown to the curb plenty of times in his career. He'll survive.

Doesn't make it right.

Laughing Gravy
03-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Where's Tonya harding when you need her?

baseline bum
03-09-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't like the move, but I don't get the sentiment that it's low class or that the Spurs screwed Butler over. Trading David West after he took a huge paycut to be here would have been extremely low class. But Butler is a minimum player. He was one last year too. He never took a paycut to be here. He took market value.

Beaverfuzz
03-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Good find.

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 02:08 PM
I don't like the move, but I don't get the sentiment that it's low class or that the Spurs screwed Butler over. Trading David West after he took a huge paycut to be here would have been extremely low class. But Butler is a minimum player. He was one last year too. He never took a paycut to be here. He took market value.

Exactly. Kevin Martin is an upgrade

AFMadison
I wonder if Splits really thought that we believed he actually had sources lol

LongtimeSpursFan
Good move. Replace a small with a small that is a better shooter, moves well both with and without ball and can dribble penetrate. It's the direction the league is moving.

szkorhetz
03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Butler could been used after the GSW super small lineup. Bonner will never see the floor.

benefactor
03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
...and people are still playing the "FO agrees with me, therefore I'm right" card? Did we time warp to 2007 or some shit?:lol

spurraider21
03-09-2016, 02:11 PM
...and people are still playing the "FO agrees with me, therefore I'm right" card? Did we time warp to 2007 or some shit?:lol
popsuckers

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Well not only did the Spurs feel Martin is better than Butler..

But you can add Houston, Dallas and Atlanta.

Or pretty much any GM that actually makes these decisions and not just post on "SpursTalk"

Rev Hill
03-09-2016, 02:12 PM
It's not a shock.
36 year old journeyman. Shot .306 from three this year.
Bonner?
Despite the hate he has his uses,

Bottom line we are debating guys who won't suit up much.

Agree. Bottom line, neither Bonner or Butler will be on the roster next year so it comes down to the question of IF (big if) any of these 2 guys may get playing time in the playoffs, which one would it be? I can see the argument that Bonner has a different skill set that makes him a bit more unique/situational than Butler. Either way, one of these guys needed to go unfortunately. Do like Butler...did all he was asked.

bklynspursfan
03-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Hire him to sit on the bench somewhere. This way he can still get his ring this year

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2016, 02:16 PM
It doesn't make a difference from a basketball perspective IMO, although I'm a fan of Butler, wanted him since last June..

It does seem like an un-Spursian move from a class perspective, though, in regards to not giving him a chance to sign with a team when eligible for the playoffs(although I suppose maybe the Spurs weren't convinced that Martin and the Wolves would complete their buyout) when he has few years remaining, and has spent the year mentoring Anderson and Simmons..

Realistically, though, we never hear anybody say a bad word about the Spurs, I'm sure they took care of him..

Keep stacking that $$$, Bonner:lol..

AZK619
03-09-2016, 02:16 PM
LOL, at Spur fan over thinking the addition of K-Mart. Yeah, its not like Danny Green has been shitting the bed or anything. Team is just fine the way it was. I am sure Danny and the French fat ass will automatically turn it on any second now.:lol

SequSpur
03-09-2016, 02:19 PM
What does PATFO mean?

btw, this is BS and I've already contacted my rep about my season tickets... I'm about out...

I. Hustle
03-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Hey, guys. I just got back from the future. I was at a Spurs practice the day before they Retired Josh Parker's jersey. There was this old guy there at shootaround. I talked to him and it was none other than the Red Rocket. He goes by the Silver Bullet in the future.

#DoinPlentyForTwenty

http://image1.masterfile.com/em_t/00/82/08/619-00820882er.jpg

Spurtacular
03-09-2016, 02:21 PM
N/M

San Antonio Slayer
03-09-2016, 02:22 PM
unfair treatment for Butler and a big gap on small forward if Anderson or Kawhi don't play. but Pops knows better)))

cd98
03-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Lol there is another ginger coming this summer that will take Bonner's spot. He's a younger, more athletic, and more European version on Bonner.

Uriel
03-09-2016, 02:25 PM
It's regrettable how things ended with Butler, but this was the right move.

Keeping Butler around would've given us a veritable logjam at the wing. There aren't enough minutes to go around for 7 SG / SF's.

Also, unknown to most people is that Bonner has played extremely well in his limited minutes this season, shooting 55% from 3 and posting an RPM of +1.39. Butler, on the other hand, has been a net negative, with an RPM of -0.87.

Bonner occupies a niche as a shooting big, which is useful in certain matchup situations (e.g. Serge Ibaka). He's also a beloved presence in the locker room and in the broader San Antonio community, and contributes so many intangibles that lie beyond the basketball court.

It's difficult to waive Butler this late in the season, but keeping Bonner over Butler is absolutely the right move.

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Agree. Bottom line, neither Bonner or Butler will be on the roster next year so it comes down to the question of IF (big if) any of these 2 guys may get playing time in the playoffs, which one would it be? I can see the argument that Bonner has a different skill set that makes him a bit more unique/situational than Butler. Either way, one of these guys needed to go unfortunately. Do like Butler...did all he was asked.

HAHAHAHA, yeah fucking right. He's never leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4j2vOpRBGM

jeebus
03-09-2016, 02:29 PM
As usual, Jeff Mcdonald is getting his shit pushed in on twitter due to his lack of sports understanding.

davidbowie
03-09-2016, 02:30 PM
cant wait for bonner to win us a playoff game this year steve kerr '03 style

Texas_Ranger
03-09-2016, 02:30 PM
sign him as a trainer or something. it's fucking unfair that now he won't get a chance to win a ring.

Rev Hill
03-09-2016, 02:31 PM

OK. Sure. We shall see.

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 02:32 PM
OK. Sure. We shall see.

Shit, he'll be there when Manu's kids get drafted.

timtonymanu
03-09-2016, 02:32 PM

They never learn. :lol

DAF86
03-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Why the fuck do you freak out about this shit? :lol

Butler wasn't going to get minutes on the playoffs nor he was an interesting piece to have around for the future. If you are going to have a guy just to fill a roster spot. I would rather have the guy that's been for years and has a great relationship with most of the folks in the organisation.

Mugen
03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
This is what Mugen (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15519) wanted. Enjoy bro :lol :tu

(talking about Butler getting cut and ST melting down)

:lol Can't believe all deez niggas thought Bon Bon would be gone. He'll outlast Kawhi on this team tbh

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 02:42 PM
:lol Can't believe all deez niggas thought Bon Bon would be gone. He'll outlast Kawhi on this team tbh

He'll even outlast Holt, tbh.

Hoops Czar
Bonner was never going anywhere. Anybody who had watched the Spurs over the last 5 years should have known this. However, Simmons should have been cut before Butler. PATFO not doing PATFO things.

timtonymanu

I'm not even a Bonner hater, but goddamn year after year I develop a false hope that he won't be on the roster. Here we are in 2016. :lol

Proxy
03-09-2016, 02:44 PM
listening the Manu's woj interview, how at the end he mentioned that he's enjoying still playing with Timmy, Tony, Matt, Boris, and Patty.... I read that as a sign that Butler was gone.

cjw
03-09-2016, 02:46 PM
I've been one for keeping Butler over Bonner, but Butler doesn't bring any unique skills to the table (if he's playing meaningful minutes, the Spurs are likely SOL).

Bonner is actually useful with Bogut / Kanter on the floor to stretch. Not in huge minutes, but in limited situations.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs

Freakin hilarious movie. That scene sums this shit up the best.

SpurPadre
I'm not even a Bonner hater, but goddamn year after year I develop a false hope that he won't be on the roster. Here we are in 2016. :lol

He's mastered the art of mooching, tbh. He's the NBA equivalent of Trump. No matter what bad thing he does, he only gets more and more popular and more secure in his position. In a way, it's pretty admirable really.

MVPCues
03-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Has anyone checked on SpurPadre?

TDomination
03-09-2016, 02:47 PM
What does PATFO mean?

btw, this is BS and I've already contacted my rep about my season tickets... I'm about out...

Pop And The Front Office

Mugen
03-09-2016, 02:48 PM

I gave up around 2012. You wouldn't complain about the sun rising every morning, you shouldn't complain about Bon Bon still being on the team tbh :lol

Mel_13
We're barely past the midpoint of the Bonner era in San Antonio.

I don't like the move, but it was predictable. Also predictable were the reactions, especially the multi-thread meltdown by one particular poster.

Proxy
He's mastered the art of mooching, tbh. He's the NBA equivalent of Trump. No matter what bad thing he does, he only gets more and more popular and more secure in his position. In a way, it's pretty admirable really.

:huh

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 02:49 PM
^^^ I hadn't considered that, but how to say he wouldn't have been picked up somewhere else if he didn't get the chance?

I hope it works out and that Martin is worth it. The only thing I had against Rasual is that he was designed a shooter and was at 31% from 3 fir the season and has been streaky in his career. But he did help us win games. Wish him the best and it doesn't feel right

sammy
03-09-2016, 02:50 PM
WTF! Sick of that ginger haired worthless POS! He has done nothing for this team but throw bricks and no defense! Butler did everything for this team! Defended well, shot 3 pointers and also covered when Timmy was out! Hell! I am so sick of that worthless bum Bonner! That bitch should've been cut! This is ridiculous!

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 02:52 PM

Wow I hadn't read that. The comment coming from Ray directed at Rasual, I guess they knew if there was going to be a move it was them. The irony.

Hoops Czar
03-09-2016, 02:53 PM
You can always count on three things... death, taxes and Matt Bonner.

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 02:54 PM
You give up a ton defensively and hustle but get more shooting. Situational player is Martin.

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 02:56 PM

Maybe the wizards want Rasual back. He played we fir them and will reach them rested with fresh legs. I wish him well.

LakerHater
Butler could been used after the GSW super small lineup. Bonner will never see the floor.
Agreed!

sammy

Agreed!

Bonner will just stand there and foul! He can't defend as he has feet of cement and then he will give the opponent an and 1 whenever this idiot is on the floor! Butler is 10 time worth more than that worthless bum Bonner!:bang

Hoops Czar
03-09-2016, 02:57 PM
I've been one for keeping Butler over Bonner, but Butler doesn't bring any unique skills to the table (if he's playing meaningful minutes, the Spurs are likely SOL).

Bonner is actually useful with Bogut / Kanter on the floor to stretch. Not in huge minutes, but in limited situations.

Don't be silly, Matt Bonner won't even make a playoff appearance unless the score is lopsided.

Keepin' it real
03-09-2016, 02:59 PM

Explain to me the humor in this situation.

Texas_Ranger
03-09-2016, 03:00 PM

The second old Spur this season that will get waived like this. Beno was the first.

Splits
03-09-2016, 03:02 PM
First Kawhi in the 3pt shootout and now this.....

ceperez
03-09-2016, 03:03 PM
^^^ I hadn't considered that, but how to say he wouldn't have been picked up somewhere else if he didn't get the chance?

I hope it works out and that Martin is worth it. The only thing I had against Rasual is that he was designed a shooter and was at 31% from 3 fir the season and has been streaky in his career. But he did help us win games. Wish him the best and it doesn't feel right

31% is a small sample size... however, I am certain Spurs were able to get a decent sample of Butler's shooting and it obviously wasn't at par with Bonner's shooting.

I will miss those Butler blocks though. Sigh!

peacemaker885
03-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Pop showing loyalty where it is due.

Good luck to you Mr Rasual Butler!

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Bonner was never going anywhere. Anybody who had watched the Spurs over the last 5 years should have known this. However, Simmons should have been cut before Butler. PATFO not doing PATFO things.
In terms of recent quality of play Simmons was the worst of the 3 and I really had thoughts it could be him, but him being a rookie that can still improve (limited ceiling or not there are mistakes and things that are very fixable in his game), and us having an uncertain future with the SG spot, I don't think it was clear cut. The Spurs will give him time to develop.

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 03:20 PM
31% is a small sample size... however, I am certain Spurs were able to get a decent sample of Butler's shooting and it obviously wasn't at par with Bonner's shooting.

I will miss those Butler blocks though. Sigh!
It is small but he's had low shooting % several years in his career. Bonner being a reliable shooter you have to respect was probably the basketball reason.

sasaint
03-09-2016, 03:22 PM
:lol Just saw Matt in a Planet Fitness commercial on ESPN. Now I know the real reason that we kept him.

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Has anyone checked on SpurPadre?

I still hate him with a passion but have come to terms with the inevitable, tbh.

RD2191
03-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Fuck Matt Bonner. Biggest waste of money in NBA history.

EVAY
03-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Tim and Bonner have always been buddies. I have thought for quite some time that the only thing standing between Bonner and the door was Tim Duncan. This convinces me even more.

ginobilized
03-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Butler was a consummate pro for us. A journeyman wing who delivered. Gotta respect that.

On the other hand, he was not going to play much if at all in the playoffs and Martin will need to be defended at all times, is younger and better.
Tough business. Rasual did nothing wrong, but, that was the smart move. Bonner can make defenses adjust. Our struggles are offensive right now, thus, Martin makes sense.

Best of luck to Rasual!

Must've been a difficult decision for PATFO

sasaint
03-09-2016, 03:28 PM
It is small but he's had low shooting % several years in his career. Bonner being a reliable shooter you have to respect was probably the basketball reason.

The team in general struggles from 3, especially compared to last year. Bonner over Butler should not surprise anybody.

I just wish we had waived Butler before the deadline, for his sake. After all, in a much bigger "gamble" we waived Splitter in hopes of landing LMA.

ElNono
03-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Explain to me the humor in this situation.

IMO, it's hilarious Jeff wrote an entire piece on why Butler stuck with the Spurs (pro's pro and always ready), only to get it completely invalidated two weeks later...

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 03:33 PM
The team in general struggles from 3, especially compared to last year. Bonner over Butler should not surprise anybody.

I just wish we had waived Butler before the deadline, for his sake. After all, in a much bigger "gamble" we waived Splitter in hopes of landing LMA.
I just knew it as soon as Bonner got healthy and started raining 3s he wasn't getting cut. Spurs must see Rocket in practice and knew he had the shot. I nostradamused that last night:lol.

Dex
03-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Hopefully, the Spurs offer Butler some sort of assistant or player development position, even if it is in the short term.

I know the guy was just an end of the bench, veteran minimum player....but he wasn't your average one. He's a seasoned veteran who probably felt blessed to finally have a real chance at a ring, and did things the right way the whole time he was here. He also seemed close to several guys in the locker room, particularly West. Something tells me it won't sit well with those guys to see him totally shown the door.

I know it's not exactly what Butler would have wanted, but if he could at least be staff and assist with practices, he could still legitimately earn a ring...instead of getting a pity ring if the Spurs do manage to get through Golden State.

RD2191
03-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Matt Bonner has hit like one meaningful 3 in his career. Just fuck that guy. Hopefully he snaps an ankle soon.

.G.
Saulboutdatcorporateknowledge
:pop:

Aggie Hoopsfan
Well not only did the Spurs feel Martin is better than Butler..

But you can add Houston, Dallas and Atlanta.

Or pretty much any GM that actually makes these decisions and not just post on "SpursTalk"

No one was arguing otherwise with respect to Butler vs. Martin.

They are, however, arguing Bonner should have been cut before Butler.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-09-2016, 03:40 PM
It's regrettable how things ended with Butler, but this was the right move.

Keeping Butler around would've given us a veritable logjam at the wing. There aren't enough minutes to go around for 7 SG / SF's.

Also, unknown to most people is that Bonner has played extremely well in his limited minutes this season, shooting 55% from 3 and posting an RPM of +1.39. Butler, on the other hand, has been a net negative, with an RPM of -0.87.

Bonner occupies a niche as a shooting big, which is useful in certain matchup situations (e.g. Serge Ibaka). He's also a beloved presence in the locker room and in the broader San Antonio community, and contributes so many intangibles that lie beyond the basketball court.

It's difficult to waive Butler this late in the season, but keeping Bonner over Butler is absolutely the right move.

The regular season has never been a problem for Bonner. It's the playoffs where his percentages dip by 20% and opposing teams just leave him wide ass open that is the problem

Mugen
03-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I like Rasual, wish him well. He's a pro so he knows the deal tbh.

gameFACE
03-09-2016, 03:42 PM
It really didn't matter to me whether it was Bonner or Butler. But it's always entertaining to see how strong an umbilical cord connection some fans have to a player that won't make a difference anyway :tongue

I just hope Kevin Martin isn't Tracy McGrady revisited.

Mugen
03-09-2016, 03:42 PM
The regular season has never been a problem for Bonner. It's the playoffs where his percentages dip by 20% and opposing teams just leave him wide ass open that is the problem

The first part of your statement is correct. The second part, not so much. Bonner still drew attention (see OKC in 2014).

Regardless, neither Bonner or Butler were going to see much playoff time barring injury.

sasaint
03-09-2016, 03:44 PM
I just knew it as soon as Bonner got healthy and started raining 3s he wasn't getting cut. Spurs must see Rocket in practice and knew he had the shot. I nostradamused that last night:lol.

:toast. I saw your Nostradamus post. Good call. I do wish they had done it before the deadline, though. Plus the length of time since the announcement about adding KMart still puzzles me.

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 03:45 PM
The first part of your statement is correct. The second part, not so much. Bonner still drew attention (see OKC in 2014).

Regardless, neither Bonner or Butler were going to see much playoff time barring injury.

His role then continues to be overblown to the point of myth. Diaw getting more minutes in that series was the REAL difference maker.

gambit1990
03-09-2016, 03:46 PM
damn, fuck that. i hope the spurs add him to the staff. at least for the rest of the season.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Too bad.

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 03:54 PM

You must've never heard of The Great Chinook..

cd98
03-09-2016, 03:55 PM
People are making too much of this. He played well here for a 36 year old but we'll be okay with losing his 1.2 points a game. Remember the Spurs tried to get Butler in years past and he always shunned them for other teams, like the Clippers and the Wizards. So Spurs cut him so they could sign Martin. I do that deal in a sec. So long, Butler, we hardly saw you play.

TheMulletMan3000
03-09-2016, 04:08 PM
fuck, I wasn't prepared for this

sasaint
03-09-2016, 04:09 PM
People are making too much of this. He played well here for a 36 year old but we'll be okay with losing his 1.2 points a game. Remember the Spurs tried to get Butler in years past and he always shunned them for other teams, like the Clippers and the Wizards. So Spurs cut him so they could sign Martin. I do that deal in a sec. So long, Butler, we hardly saw you play.

I was not aware we pursued him in the past. (Good one, Johnny :toast)

TDomination
03-09-2016, 04:12 PM
It really didn't matter to me whether it was Bonner or Butler. But it's always entertaining to see how strong an umbilical cord connection some fans have to a player that won't make a difference anyway :tongue

I just hope Kevin Martin isn't Tracy McGrady revisited.

Kevin Martin has already done better then Mcgrady did in the year he came with the Spurs. If i recall correctly, Mcgrady didn't play that entire year when we signed him.

Martin has already had several 20+ games with the Wolves this year and he looks in great shape. He's gonna be a factor.

DesignatedT
03-09-2016, 04:16 PM
It's a business. Boo fuckin hoo. Butler will make $1,500,000 this season from the Spurs.

SAGirl
03-09-2016, 04:19 PM
:toast. I saw your Nostradamus post. Good call. I do wish they had done it before the deadline, though. Plus the length of time since the announcement about adding KMart still puzzles me.
Actually Nono' s article made me think both Ray and Butler might have been notified through their agents that the Spurs were looking to make a move. I suppose Rasual himself could have asked to be waived if there were other teams interested, but he might have decided of his own accord to wait out. There was a chance the Martin deal doesn't go through in time and his agent would have known if there was interest in him. Again his 31% from 3 didn't help.

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 04:20 PM

It's more of an ethical issue that people rightfully have a problem with, tbh.

TDfan2007
03-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Sucks, but the guy will still get paid. Still not sold on Kevin Martin over him. Butler is an underrated defender with deceptive athleticism.

Obi Juan Kenobi
03-09-2016, 04:31 PM

cd98
03-09-2016, 04:37 PM

Ethical? Spurs pick the person they think is best to be on the roster. There are no guarantees to be on the team. Butler was paid. What are the ethical issues? You like Butler more than Bonner? Well, Pop and RC thought it was more important to have Bonner. Nothing ethical about that.

tmtcsc
03-09-2016, 04:40 PM

What youg fella said:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eM1_8Xu6SD8/U5e-6SAPXXI/AAAAAAAAHZE/RpNn6vBRE3k/s1600/KawhiLeonard+.gif

SayTown
03-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Ethical? Spurs pick the person they think is best to be on the roster. There are no guarantees to be on the team. Butler was paid. What are the ethical issues? You like Butler more than Bonner? Well, Pop and RC thought it was more important to have Bonner. Nothing ethical about that.

Do you really believe that PATFO think Bonner is a better basketball player than Butler.

cd98
03-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Do you really believe that PATFO think Bonner is a better basketball player than Butler.

Yes, at least for what they need. Not saying who would win in a one on one. But Bonner is a center that can make threes, knows the system, and has played significant minutes in the playoffs. No other center n the roster can say yes to all three. Butler, there's 3 or 4 of him on the roster.

Mal
03-09-2016, 04:58 PM
That`s sad. Hope he`ll get a ring. Bonner wont touch court in June

cjw
03-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Don't be silly, Matt Bonner won't even make a playoff appearance unless the score is lopsided.

I think Bonner suits up over Boban in the GS series.

San Antonio Slayer
03-09-2016, 05:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ67RfHoHdg

EVAY
03-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Sucks, but the guy will still get paid. Still not sold on Kevin Martin over him. Butler is an underrated defender with deceptive athleticism.

This is precisely where I came out on it.

Admittedly I have never liked Martin, and I did think that Butler contributed on the defensive end, but I just hope that Martin comes through.

It has always been the case that Bonner and Timmy were such close friends that he (Bonner) has essentially had a backer every year, when other teams would have just cut him. I really believed that Butler was so much more athletic and defense-minded than Bonner that Tim would go along with it this year...but I was wrong.

Hope Bonner plays well for us. Hope Martin does too. Not too confident about either.

gameFACE
03-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Kevin Martin has already done better then Mcgrady did in the year he came with the Spurs. If i recall correctly, Mcgrady didn't play that entire year when we signed him.

Martin has already had several 20+ games with the Wolves this year and he looks in great shape. He's gonna be a factor.

Yeah, I know. I was half joking. Martin will get more minutes than McGrady ever did. Hopefully that means more rest for Manu towards the end of the regular season.

bklynspursfan
03-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Bonner leaving would have a similar impact in the locker room as if patty wasn't resigned. He means a lot to the locker room and mainly the big 3 since he's been around a while. Patty had that same kind of impact.

People think this is strictly a basketball move, and it could just be about bonner and his relationship with the team. Chemistry matters. It's unfortunate for Rasual, he was a pro for sure. It's also possible pop and co. Told him from day 1 it might not be permanent

Aztecfan03
03-09-2016, 05:25 PM

You might want to reread the thread. Chinook was.

TD 21
03-09-2016, 05:28 PM
It was always going to be Butler, for obvious reasons. If you've followed the team long enough and are reasonably intelligent, almost nothing they do should surprise you. A lot of you conflate your opinion with how they operate.

This is probably the most bizarre reaction I've ever seen, to a random player and one who wasn't going to matter, with Martin on board. We're talking about a fringe player, who failed to do the one thing he was brought in to do, who'd have regularly been inactive and gone in the off season.

They increased their upside with this move, yet some of you have the audacity to pretend the season is over.

BatManu20
03-09-2016, 05:33 PM
You can always count on three things... death, taxes and Matt Bonner.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/504a84b2a910c446b6d5c3ef08c0d784/tumblr_mrwmjsk8rK1r4fk9jo1_250.gif

bigfan
03-09-2016, 05:35 PM
A tossup on who to cut but The Big Red Boner has paid his dues over the years and maybe deserves a shot at one last ring before he is gone.

gambit1990
03-09-2016, 05:36 PM
a bit of a stretch but i wonder if matty gets waived if lma hadn't shot 0 for 15 from the 3 so far this season.

gonna miss butler tbh. i've watched almost every game this season and he consistently played solid, poised. he's even broken up like, 4 or 5 alley oops on the defensive end. high bb iq. been a fan since we been the hornets in the playoffs. didn't wanna see him go.

03-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Dafuq. Butler was playing pretty well when he got minutes. Whereas Bonner got absolutely no minutes. If Bonner needs to play in the playoffs, then something has gone terribly wrong. But Butler can still be useful in the playoffs if Green is bricking like crazy and Martin keeps getting burned on defense.

Anderson and Simmons should not see any playoff minutes.

spursparker9
03-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Fuck the FO

I hope Butler signed with another team and hit the game winner in a game 7 against Spurs

pgardn
03-09-2016, 05:53 PM
This is ridiculously trivial.

Either way it does not matter.

Spurs Brazil
03-09-2016, 05:57 PM
‏@JabariJYoung
Just spoke to Rasual Butler... Here's what he said: #Spurs

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdIdY1XUkAAUxye.jpg

Ditty
03-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Wow kinda shocked Butler was cut. It sounded like Bonner had one foot out the door, wonder what changed the Spurs minds. At the same time if Bonner and Butler matter we are screwed anyways. Think the loyalty thing is a little BS which this is about, and Matt seems like he is a little selfish in this situation.

Dex
03-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Fuck the FO

I hope Butler signed with another team and hit the game winner in a game 7 against Spurs

Butler is no longer eligible for the playoffs.

Dex
03-09-2016, 05:58 PM
‏@JabariJYoung

coachmac87
03-09-2016, 06:03 PM
It was always going to be Butler, for obvious reasons. If you've followed the team long enough and are reasonably intelligent, almost nothing they do should surprise you. A lot of you conflate your opinion with how they operate.

This is probably the most bizarre reaction I've ever seen, to a random player and one who wasn't going to matter, with Martin on board. We're talking about a fringe player, who failed to do the one thing he was brought in to do, who'd have regularly been inactive and gone in the off season.

They increased their upside with this move, yet some of you have the audacity to pretend the season is over.

Yeah I heard Chinook thinks Butler is better than Martin

BillMc
03-09-2016, 06:07 PM
This is ridiculously trivial.

Either way it does not matter.

Thank you.

BillMc
03-09-2016, 06:08 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/screen-shot-2014-12-20-at-9-57-17-pm.png

td4mvp2k
03-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Because he's overrated and people need to chill..Matt Bonner means more to the players and organization and city more than Rasual Butler ever will..

Good luck to him tho and hopefully he can get his ring from us:tu <3 bon bon

jermaine
03-09-2016, 06:22 PM
U ungrateful fucks!!!! Bonner has been here forever an you niccas just wanta cut him for some new nicca who don't even matter!!! Fuck all yal

tholdren
03-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Poor move. Bonner is a terrible basketball player, and you cut a guy at the end of his career who can't sign with a contender. Unfortunate to see such a seemingly genuine organization do something like this.
But maybe Butler is a terrible person with a bad attitude.... move on. Bonner is still worthless

lil'mo
03-09-2016, 06:27 PM
U ungrateful fucks!!!! Bonner has been here forever an you niccas just wanta cut him for some new nicca who don't even matter!!! Fuck all yal

Haha jermaine, mah nigga

Texas_Ranger
03-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Forever here but never done anything....

Holden_Caulfield
03-09-2016, 07:22 PM
It was the logical choice. Hopefully Simmons continue to improve

jermaine
03-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Forever here but never done anything....

That's the same as most of yal girlfriends an wives!!!! But yal keep them hitches around an treat them hoes like queens... Bitches ain't worth a dime, but yal parade them sluts around. But wanna cut my nicca Bonner... that's my "White brotha from anotha motha"!!!

ceperez
03-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Isn't Butler 2 years older than Bonner?

Spur|n|Austin
03-09-2016, 07:59 PM

jermaine
03-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Maaaan, I'm serious. Bonner may not be a superstar, but he's a glue guy that does what he's ask the best he can with no complaining. I respect that, an so does the Spurs it seems. Neither Bonner or Butler is really gonna matter come playoff time anyway. So why get rid of a glue guy that can talk to Aldridge an tell him small things to do on the court. Butler can't do that!!!

SpursIndonesia
03-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Won't affect shit and all, but really a dick, low blow move by the Spurs FO. Unless there was some sort of an under the table deal for Butler to move into coaching staff or management. But still, IMHO not the right basketball decision to go, not really.

phxspurfan
03-09-2016, 08:23 PM

damnn

franforr
03-09-2016, 08:23 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornjTNn6rpaxWdh6M/giphy.gif

phxspurfan
03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Fuck the FO

Can he even sign with another playoff team at this point (and be eligible for a playoff roster)

Uriel
03-09-2016, 08:37 PM
As we saw in the 2014 series in OKC, Bonner doesn't have to hit 3-pointers to be useful in the playoffs. All he has to do is spread the floor and pull rim protectors out of the paint by the mere threat of his 3-pt shooting, and he will already have served his purpose.

Besides, it doesn't really matter because at the end of the day, neither player is likely to make a meaningful contribution in the playoffs anyway.

SpurPadre
03-09-2016, 08:50 PM
As we saw in the 2014 series in OKC, Bonner doesn't have to hit 3-pointers to be useful in the playoffs. All he has to do is spread the floor and pull rim protectors out of the paint by the mere threat of his 3-pt shooting, and he will already have served his purpose.

Besides, it doesn't really matter because at the end of the day, neither player is likely to make a meaningful contribution in the playoffs anyway.

LOL, he averaged 15 minutes a game when he was inserted in the starting lineup in the OKC series. There are 48 minutes in a game. People need to stop exaggerating his role in that series as it's really a slap in the face to Diaw's role as the real x-factor in that series.

Arcadian
03-09-2016, 09:18 PM
God damn...Bonner is like a virus that just won't go away!

playbonner15
03-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Seriously, I like Butler. But he looked tired and slow out there. While Bonner played with intensity when he was in. Honestly, I dont know what happened after he left the Wiz

Robz4000
03-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Is it too late to cut Porker for him?????????

BadOne
03-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Matt Bonner = Herpes

paperboy77
03-09-2016, 09:23 PM
All I can say is that this move sucks. However, Bonner can be more of a situational player than Butler. Too many guys can bring similar to what Butler can. I can see how Bonner helps change for example a series vs OKC if Ibaka is being a problem. Also, I can somehow see Bonner getting in raymond Greens head like he would vs Zebo.

As for waiving Rasual now as opposed to while he'd be playoff eligible for another team, I don't think Pop wanted this guy coming back and burning us if picked up by LA or maybe OKC.

TheGreatYacht
03-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Spurs made him 27 Mill... :cry so loyal :cry

Fuck that faggot

TheGreatYacht
03-09-2016, 09:33 PM
‏@JabariJYoung

Ice009
03-09-2016, 10:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--spurs-waive-rasual-butler-to-make-room-for-kevin-martin-182620539.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is this saying that the Spurs are the ones that made Martin wait for a whole week? As in, he would have signed earlier if they could figure out who to cut. If so, that's ridiculous.

littlecoyotecoin
03-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Bonner leaving would have a similar impact in the locker room as if patty wasn't resigned. He means a lot to the locker room and mainly the big 3 since he's been around a while. Patty had that same kind of impact.

People think this is strictly a basketball move, and it could just be about bonner and his relationship with the team. Chemistry matters. It's unfortunate for Rasual, he was a pro for sure. It's also possible pop and co. Told him from day 1 it might not be permanent

8 pages and someone finally puts in concrete terms why it's not necessarily classless. One or two others beat around the bush, but this is concrete. Of course PATFO could have discussed caveats with Butler along the way, or even from the beginning. There is no reason to assume that Butler feels slighted by this move without knowing particulars.

littlecoyotecoin
03-09-2016, 10:38 PM
LOL, he averaged 15 minutes a game when he was inserted in the starting lineup in the OKC series. There are 48 minutes in a game. People need to stop exaggerating his role in that series as it's really a slap in the face to Diaw's role as the real x-factor in that series.

Butler would have averaged zero.