PDA

View Full Version : Hertz had Sheriffs on hand the day it replaced IT workers with H1B subcontractors

ElNono
03-12-2016, 05:51 PM
About 300 Hertz IT employees, most located in Oklahoma City, are being impacted [by] a decision to expand its outsourcing to IBM (http://www.computerworld.com/article/3042902/it-careers/at-hertz-it-sheriffs-shock-and-tough-choices.html). About 75 will be hired by IBM and those workers [are expected] to receive offers this week while others are facing layoffs. The news was a shock for IT employees. There was "anger, resentment," especially by employees who "sacrificed that work/life balance to keep things going here," said one employee. Hertz took precautions. On the day that IT employees learned that their work was shifting to IBM, employees noticed Oklahoma sheriff patrol vehicles in the building's parking lot. They believed plainclothes officers were inside the building.

"We consider the safety and security of our people whenever there are circumstances or events that could increase the risk of a disturbance or some form of workplace violence," said Bill Masterson, a Hertz spokesman. "Knowing that this was a difficult announcement, we had additional security on hand," said Masterson. "Going forward, Hertz IT resources will be focused on development of future products and services for customers," he said. The majority of services will be cloud-based. According to the Computerworld article, along with severance pay, benefits also include three months of outplacement assistance. IT employees can receive up to $4,000 toward retraining or skill certification, said Masterson. IBM India Private Limited, a IBM subsidiary, has filed paper for H-1B visa workers for Hertz Technology offices (http://www.computerworld.com/article/3032350/it-careers/hertz-cutting-it-jobs-as-its-shifts-to-ibm.html).

baseline bum
03-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Amrika Fucked and Unfuckable™

hater
03-12-2016, 06:20 PM
India taking over the IT world tbh

can't hate on them hustlers IMO. anyone can get a software product or game developed for about $99 in India

fucking amazing shit. and they are skilled too, way more skilled than average american IT worker

Splits
03-12-2016, 06:31 PM
India taking over the IT world tbh

can't hate on them hustlers IMO. anyone can get a software product or game developed for about $99 in India

fucking amazing shit. and they are skilled too, way more skilled than average american IT worker

Taking over yes, more skilled absolutely not. They're like automaton, if you don't specify exactly what you want, you get shit back. They are inept at turning a business requirement into a piece of software without an explicit design being handed to them. Besides being a 3rd world shthole, there's a reason I can hire 4 Indians for the price of 1 westerner. My team has 4 architects and 25 devs/QA. All the architects are westerners, the rest are Indians in Bangalore.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Taking over yes, more skilled absolutely not. They're like automaton, if you don't specify exactly what you want, you get shit back. They are inept at turning a business requirement into a piece of software without an explicit design being handed to them. Besides being a 3rd world shthole, there's a reason I can hire 4 Indians for the price of 1 westerner. My team has 4 architects and 25 devs/QA. All the architects are westerners, the rest are Indians in Bangalore.

Yup. We've even been offered to take over various dumpster fire projects the dotheads fucked up terribly. Some companies are actually bringing dev back in-house.

The abuse/gaming of H1Bs under the premise there's no enough IT talent in the US is what's aggravating...

DarrinS
03-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Interesting stereotyping by board progressives

Splits
03-12-2016, 07:47 PM
The abuse/gaming of H1Bs under the premise there's no enough IT talent in the US is what's aggravating...

It's a racket. We don't use them, we hire directly in Bangalore, but it's basically legalized slave labor.

baseline bum
03-12-2016, 07:53 PM
It's a racket. We don't use them, we hire directly in Bangalore, but it's basically legalized slave labor.

Slave labor? :lol

Get back to me when they give their employee 20 lashes after a performance review or lynch them for trying to leave the company.

Splits
03-12-2016, 07:53 PM

What I was talking about (outsourced developers) is a small piece of the puzzle and in response to some dumbass claiming India was taking over global IT. I was just at our Silicon Valley office this week, we have tons of high-level managers that are US citizens but from India. My division President is Indian. But they are all either educated here or have post grad degrees from here.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 07:56 PM

Yeah. It doesn't affect our company specifically (other than getting 10 phonecalls a week from Apu), but I feel for other professionals that have to make a living, pay taxes, etc here in the US, and not only are being fucked in the ass by this, but they have to hear Mark Zuckerbitch pitch to congress that they can't find enough Americans to hire. Well, there it is, he can have those 270 Hertz guys.

Splits
03-12-2016, 07:58 PM

Get back to me when they give their employee 20 lashes after a performance review or lynch them for trying to leave the company.

Perhaps too strong a term but they're hired on H1Bs purely because they'll work for 1/2 the salary, take no benefits, and can basically be booted at anytime with no penalty to the employer

Will Hunting
03-12-2016, 08:13 PM

This. When you're working with people in Bangalore you need to spoon feed them step-by-step directions and make everything as specific as possible or they'll find a way to fuck it up.

Will Hunting
03-12-2016, 08:15 PM

Bangalore is essentially one giant tech sweatshop though.

DarrinS
03-12-2016, 08:16 PM
What I was talking about (outsourced developers) is a small piece of the puzzle and in response to some dumbass claiming India was taking over global IT. I was just at our Silicon Valley office this week, we have tons of high-level managers that are US citizens but from India. My division President is Indian. But they are all either educated here or have post grad degrees from here.

Oh, that bigotry sounds much less hateful. :tu

Will Hunting
03-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Oh, that bigotry sounds much less hateful. :tu

Are you really this dense :lmao, it's not some big secret that tech companies send their grunt work that requires the least skill to India. If the IT workers in India were really just as skilled as IT workers here then the tech company would ship everything over there.

Splits
03-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Bangalore is essentially one giant tech sweatshop though.

Shittiest place I've ever been. They have fucking cows roaming in the middle of major streets. Building skyscrapers with wooden scaffolding and no safety harnesses for the "workers". And I'll be there again in 3 weeks :lol

baseline bum
03-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Shittiest place I've ever been. They have fucking cows roaming in the middle of major streets. Building skyscrapers with wooden scaffolding and no safety harnesses for the "workers". And I'll be there again in 3 weeks :lol

Are the hookers good at least?

Splits
03-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Are the hookers good at least?

Oh I have absolutely no way of knowing, it's probably illegal considering how much they value their women, treat them as equal citizens, don't have a caste system, and don't have a gang rape problem.

DarrinS
03-12-2016, 08:57 PM
Oh I have absolutely no way of knowing, it's probably illegal considering how much they value their women, treat them as equal citizens, don't have a caste system, and don't have a gang rape problem.

Sounds like a Trump sound bite. But, so much less offensive from team blue.

hater
03-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Lmao of course Indians are more skilled than Americans. It's not even close :lol

Splits
03-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Lmao of course Indians are more skilled than Americans. It's not even close :lol

Jesus fuck you are really stupid.

hater
03-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Jesus fuck you are really stupid.

You sound like a butthurt faggot tbqh

I have been selling merchandise to IT nerds for the last decade and I see clearly that American IT nerds are some of the laziest faggots in history. When something needs to be done, they call the Indian folks

hater
03-13-2016, 12:14 AM
Also when an Indian applies for a job here in the US, they usually get it no questions asked over dumb lazy Americans. It is what it is.

pgardn
03-13-2016, 08:24 AM

Good catch.

The Indian kids born here are, IMO, quite innovative and dedicated. Brought up in "our" culture in good schools I love having this hard working family oriented group integrated into our country. I have met many in both the biological side, and the physical science side, that are quite good at what they do.

Will Hunting
03-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Good catch.

The Indian kids born here are, IMO, quite innovative and dedicated. Brought up in "our" culture in good schools I love having this hard working family oriented group integrated into our country. I have met many in both the biological side, and the physical science side, that are quite good at what they do.

So you're pretty much saying exactly what Splits said. It's not a racial thing but rather a geographical thing.

Dirk Oneanddoneski
03-13-2016, 11:15 AM

Have you ever seen the designated shitting streets

mPne-q4ynts

Or the designated shitting beaches?

ixJgY2VSct0

ElNono
03-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Have you ever seen the designated shitting streets

mPne-q4ynts

lmao @ 6:35 on this vid

Splits
03-13-2016, 12:56 PM
You sound like a butthurt faggot tbqh

I have been selling merchandise to IT nerds for the last decade and I see clearly that American IT nerds are some of the laziest faggots in history. When something needs to be done, they call the Indian folks

Yeah, I'll take my own experiences of actually working with and hiring Indians both in their own country and here over your meaningless speculation. Have you ever been to Bangalore or had Indians work for you?

Splits
03-13-2016, 12:57 PM
So you're pretty much saying exactly what Splits said. It's not a racial thing but rather a geographical thing.

Right, has nothing to do with race but culture and education.

Will Hunting
03-13-2016, 01:05 PM
A month ago I had to download a file from a secured website and the way my job works is that you have to go through the technology division to do that for security purposes. After opening up a ticket (for whatever reason, when you're working with people in Bangalore, they need you to open a ticket no matter how simple the task is) it took 15 emails (not an exaggerating, 15 emails) before one of them spent the 45 seconds needed to download the file.

Splits
03-13-2016, 01:14 PM
A month ago I had to download a file from a secured website and the way my job works is that you have to go through the technology division to do that for security purposes. After opening up a ticket (for whatever reason, when you're working with people in Bangalore, they need you to open a ticket no matter how simple the task is) it took 15 emails (not an exaggerating, 15 emails) before one of them spent the 45 seconds needed to download the file.

:lol yeah they love those tickets (takes more time for them to read and close them than to accomplish the task) because it gives them a way to hide their inefficiency

:cry I serviced 215 tickets this week :cry

Splits
03-13-2016, 01:17 PM
I also love how you have to specify your religion (no atheist option) and disclose if your grandparents have any ties to Pakistan on your visa application :lol

hater
03-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I'll take my own experiences of actually working with and hiring Indians both in their own country and here over your meaningless speculation. Have you ever been to Bangalore or had Indians work for you?

yup. had an indian team right under me as well as one in India. Both far superior than any american made team I ever worked with.

as said before, if you want something done, and done right the first time, call the indian IT guy

Will Hunting
03-13-2016, 01:23 PM
:lol yeah they love those tickets (takes more time for them to read and close them than to accomplish the task) because it gives them a way to hide their inefficiency

:cry I serviced 215 tickets this week :cry

:lol and whenever you call the technology help desk in Bangalore, no matter what the problem is, their first response is "Try logging out and logging back in again" or "Have you restarted your CPU?"

There was one time when I called them because there was a system failure and my computer wasn't letter me log on. The guy actually said "Can you log out and then try to log on?" right after I told him I couldn't log on :lmao

Splits
03-13-2016, 01:27 PM
yup. had an indian team right under me as well as one in India. Both far superior than any american made team I ever worked with.

as said before, if you want something done, and done right the first time, call the indian IT guy

Complete opposite of reality. You can't even understand them on the phone unless it's a landline because their cell service is so shitty and everywhere you go all you can hear are them honking their fucking horns :lol They wont even drive in the West because they know they'll get arrested or kill someone

Splits
03-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Also, if you're a Muslim in India you're allowed to have multiple wives :lol

The first time I hired an Indian, the local manager told me the girl I wanted to hire was of lower caste and I should hire the other one :lol

And in the past 18 months I've had 3 employees in their 30s randomly die, apparently of heart attacks but nobody really knows

Fucking 3rd world shithole

ElNono
03-13-2016, 01:46 PM
:lol why you're still arguing with this guy? He's clearly trolling... nobody is legitimately that dumb

ElNono
03-13-2016, 01:48 PM

:lmao

hater
03-13-2016, 05:10 PM
:lol and whenever you call the technology help desk in Bangalore, no matter what the problem is, their first response is "Try logging out and logging back in again" or "Have you restarted your CPU?"

There was one time when I called them because there was a system failure and my computer wasn't letter me log on. The guy actually said "Can you log out and then try to log on?" right after I told him I couldn't log on :lmao

I can vouch for the logging in back in and retarting tbh. Those 2 solutions fix 60% of problems

You might be smart but you don't understand the kind of stupid ppl.that call the help desks. Fucking stupid morons, one guy that called our helpdesk.complained his screen was blank, turns out his pc was off :lol

hater
03-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Complete opposite of reality. You can't even understand them on the phone unless it's a landline because their cell service is so shitty and everywhere you go all you can hear are them honking their fucking horns :lol They wont even drive in the West because they know they'll get arrested or kill someone

Disagree. And the thousands of IT companies that are outsourcing to India disagree as well.

You are not understanding. We are talking about cents on the dollar. They are dirt cheap. Who cares if they are dropping dead or wedding multiple ppl??? Just hire someone else and case solved.

Again, better work for less $. The thousands of IT companies outsourcing there all agree with me.

pgardn
03-13-2016, 11:22 PM

No it's a cultural thing.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 11:38 PM

Is your job being a 13 year old bar girl?

ElNono
03-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Why Learning To Code Won't Save Your Job
Douglas Rushkoff
03.25.16 5:00 AM

Looking for job security in the knowledge economy? Just learn to code. At least, that’s what we’ve been telling young professionals and mid-career workers alike who want to hack it in the modern workforce—in fact, it’s advice I’ve given myself. And judging by the proliferation of coding schools and bootcamps we’ve seen over the past few years, not a few have eagerly heeded that instruction, thinking they’re shoring up their livelihoods in the process. Unfortunately, many have already learned the hard way that even the best coding chops have their limits. More and more, "learn to code" is looking like bad advice.

Coding Can’t Save You

Anyone competent in languages such as Python, Java, or even Web coding like HTML and CSS, is currently in high demand by businesses that are still just gearing up for the digital marketplace. However, as coding becomes more commonplace, particularly in developing nations like India, we find a lot of that work is being assigned piecemeal by computerized services such as Upwork to low-paid workers in digital sweatshops.

This trend is bound to increase. The better opportunity may be to use your coding skills to develop an app or platform yourself, but this means competing against thousands of others doing the same thing—and in an online marketplace ruled by just about the same power dynamics as the digital music business.

Read More:
http://www.fastcompany.com/3058251/the-future-of-work/why-learning-to-code-wont-save-your-job

DarrinS
03-26-2016, 10:47 AM
^depressing

tlongII
03-26-2016, 12:01 PM
I've worked in IT for 25 years and I have to agree with everything Splits has said. Depressing as that may be.

Splits
04-05-2016, 05:12 AM
This probably deserves its own thread, but how the fuck does this curry scent follow them? I'm in the Frankfurt airport, about to board to Bangalore, and it fucking stinks at my gate but nowhere else. How? I just don't get it. Do they fucking smuggle that shit up their assholes?

fucking nasty

Splits
04-05-2016, 05:22 AM
Thank fucking god for Lufthansa lounge showers. Of course, they don't have deo so you gotta pay $25 for fucking Estée Lauder at the duty free lol

boutons_deux
04-05-2016, 06:23 AM
After trying to work with Indian programmers in India, lots of people have stories where the time difference, the language difference, the interaction/friction overhead, and the quality of the Indian code are all serious negatives. Just being Indian doesn't mean you're a great coder.

The profit-obsessed bean counters and stock-price obsessed managers who pushed work to India don't have to deal with all that shit

Pelicans78
04-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a Trump sound bite. But, so much less offensive from team blue.

It's not a soundbite if its true.

Pelicans78
04-05-2016, 07:44 AM
This probably deserves its own thread, but how the fuck does this curry scent follow them? I'm in the Frankfurt airport, about to board to Bangalore, and it fucking stinks at my gate but nowhere else. How? I just don't get it. Do they fucking smuggle that shit up their assholes?

fucking nasty

They definitely pack that shit with them.

101A
04-05-2016, 08:48 AM

fucking nasty

Bought a house in '06 from Indians. Stopped smelling the Curry after I (finally) tore out ALL the carpet & repainted the entire house in '11.

I. Hustle
04-05-2016, 09:22 AM
1) How does Kool feel about you guys talking about his people like that

2.) Why do they call curry curry? Because when you eat it, it makes you curry curry to the restroom!