PDA

View Full Version : The "Committee"

midnightpulp
03-12-2016, 09:47 PM
2-15 tonight, and a Turnobili sighting at the end of the half, per par.

The resident retards will somehow find a way to place the blame on the Parker, but he's in deferral mode tonight. Danny "D League" Green will predictably get a pass, as will "MVPatty." At least Duncan is showing up (but at his age, you just can't count on many of these kinds of games), but other than that, the "Committee" fuckin' blows. And this isn't a recent trend. The role players have sucked ass for over a month now.

Yeah, yeah. Only the first half, but this half has been emblematic of how the Spurs have been playing since the ASB. Top heavy scoring with little role player support. Which is why Parker HAS to be that 3rd scorer, because no one else can do it (and believe me, I wish someone else could, since Parker is inconsistent himself).

TheGreatYacht
03-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Manutard MO is to spin the blame on others :lmao

Rob Ryan could've stopped Manu in the first half

GSH
03-12-2016, 09:50 PM
The resident retards will somehow find a way to place the blame on the Parker

How about waiting until the game is over before deciding that there is any "blame" necessary? If they lose, I'm sure there will be plenty to go around.

Retard.

midnightpulp
03-12-2016, 09:52 PM
How about waiting until the game is over before deciding that there is any "blame" necessary? If they lose, I'm sure there will be plenty to go around.

Retard.

:cry Don't criticize my Spurs :cry

This isn't also a single game thing, faggot. This trend has been going on since the ASB.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Posted it on the game thread:

We actually looked great until KMart came in... missed a ton of wide open looks, including Kawhi and had a 9 point lead...

I mean, TP/Manu took 4 shots, even less than Danny...

SPURt
03-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Danny "D League" Green lol

GSH
03-12-2016, 09:54 PM
This isn't also a single game thing, faggot. This trend has been going on since the ASB.

Yet you make a whole new thread talking only about tonight, and who's going to be blamed for tonight?

spursistan
03-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Danny "D League" Green lol

Mnky
03-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Posted it on the game thread:

We actually looked great until KMart came in... missed a ton of wide open looks, including Kawhi and had a 9 point lead...

I mean, TP/Manu took 4 shots, even less than Danny...

He got matched up with Durant once and Durant missed. The rest of the time Kawhi was on him and Durant was having his way. That defense was on Parker Kawhi horrible screen defense.. and Duncan and west not making a difference at the rim. Martin made his shot too.

100%duncan
03-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I dont think this game is the best case example of Parker being a 3rd option

midnightpulp
03-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I dont think this game is the best case example of Parker being a 3rd option

And it's a good example of Parker deferring to shitty players like Green?

None of the retarded crew can answer this simple question:

Who's the 3rd option on this team? Who has the ability to step up with 18-20 points to supplement the top heavy scoring LMA and Kawhi produce?

The only option is the rare throwback game from Duncan, but other than that, no one in the committee can score worth of shit when needed.

100%duncan
03-12-2016, 10:18 PM

Who's the 3rd option on this team? Who has the ability to step up with 18-20 points to supplement the top heavy scoring LMA and Kawhi produce?

The only option is the rare throwback game from Duncan, but other than that, no one in the committee can score worth of shit when needed.

Im just saying man, Parker is really a BIG MISS OR HIT as well right? His health, attitude, etc2. It might just be a 2 man game with supporting cast after all. And yah we most likely wont win 6 but I just dont see parker scoring 20 every game in the playoffs like you suggest.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Bench has done a terrific job this game... got us back from a hole twice... hopefully Kawhi can fix his shooting in the 4th, tbh

midnightpulp
Im just saying man, Parker is really a BIG MISS OR HIT as well right? His health, attitude, etc2. It might just be a 2 man game with supporting cast after all. And yah we most likely wont win 6 but I just dont see parker scoring 20 every game in the playoffs like you suggest.

Yes he is, but the issue is the role players are a bigger hit or miss. Parker doesn't need to score 18-20, just be a threat to do so, be on other team's radar as someone who can burn you. Teams aren't scared of Danny Green, Boris, David West, Patty, and even Manu and Timmy going off for 20+ in any given game. (Yes, I know of some of those players have had good scoring games, but it's a rare event).

Brian Windhorst
Pop has low key given up on Boris tbh.

Floyd Pacquiao
03-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Tony 3rd option Parker. Not doing a goddamned thing. Getting bended over defensively too.

NASpurs
03-12-2016, 10:25 PM

I wonder what the Spurs could get for him. I love Bobo but I don't blame Pop at all.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Frankly, when your best player is shooting 6-17, you're gonna struggle...

midnightpulp
03-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Bench has done a terrific job this game... got us back from a hole twice... hopefully Kawhi can fix his shooting in the 4th, tbh

Not too difficult to outplay Nick Collison, Kyle Singler, and Randy F:lolye, though. The fact that the bench is shooting 5-16 and is a net positive should tell you just how bad OKC's bench is.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Not too difficult to outplay Nick Collison, Kyle Singler, and Randy F:lolye, though. The fact that the bench is shooting 5-16 and is a net positive should tell you just how bad OKC's bench is.

Durant or Westbrook have both been playing with their bench... 38 y/o Manu has been doing an admirable job on KD, tbh

BatManu20
03-12-2016, 10:28 PM
We're still gonna win this game. Believe.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 10:38 PM
great defense and run with "3rd option" on the bench, tbh... more of that please... :hat

midnightpulp
03-12-2016, 10:52 PM
great defense and run with "3rd option" on the bench, tbh... more of that please... :hat

Do you think we can beat GS with Parker not scoring any points or him on the bench?

I don't care about OKC. They just lost to Minnesota :lol and have been in a free fall the past month. Without Parker contributing, we have very little to no backcourt firepower to counter what Steph, Klay, and even Livingston can produce. And yes, I know there's no backcourt in the league that evenly counter GS, but LMA and Kawhi are going to need major, major help from our perimeter players if you want this team to make a run at GS.

So yeah, relegate Tony and give that usage to Patty, Manu, and Green. See how that works out against GS.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Do you think we can beat GS with Parker not scoring any points or him on the bench?

I don't care about OKC. They just lost to Minnesota :lol and have been in a free fall the past month. Without Parker contributing, we have very little to no backcourt firepower to counter what Steph, Klay, and even Livingston can produce. And yes, I know there's no backcourt in the league that evenly counter GS, but LMA and Kawhi are going to need major, major help from our perimeter players if you want this team to make a run at GS.

So yeah, relegate Tony and give that usage to Patty, Manu, and Green. See how that works out against GS.

Here's my question: do you think we're beating GS with Parker scoring 20 and giving up 20 on the other end? I think this season is about defense for us. It might not be enough against a historical team like GS, but well, they're historical for a reason.

HarlemHeat37
03-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Here's my question: do you think we're beating GS with Parker scoring 20 and giving up 20 on the other end? I think this season is about defense for us. It might not be enough against a historical team like GS, but well, they're historical for a reason.

Pop seems to agree, too..

Danny Green played 30 minutes tonight, despite shooting like a High School girl, which is something Pop may not have done in past years(when Green was a 40+% shooter)..based on this year's rotation and tendencies, looks like Pop is all-in with Kawhi/Aldridge playing the Durant/Westbrook roles and the rest of the team focusing on maintaining the best D in the NBA..

gilmor
03-12-2016, 11:02 PM
tbh.. OKC is a mediocre team..

It's not a surprise Spurs beat them.. The only team that worth the salt should be Warriors.

If Parker sucks against Warriors, then Pop should take him out early

midnightpulp
03-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Patty is an even worse defender than Parker. Patty also doesn't make opposing PGs work like Tony, since he's not a penetrator.

I actually wouldn't mind Manu running point for significant minutes, and going "big," but then you remove our primary bench asset.

I'm not behind Tony because I'm a "fan," I just see no alternative. You saw how bad the offense was tonight with him relegated/playing poorly, and OKC is a pretty poor defensive team. 90-100 points won't be enough to beat GS. Without Tony being on the radar as a "threat," the Spurs offense becomes even easier to stop. Contain LMA and/or Kawhi, and you win.

HarlemHeat37
03-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Patty is an even worse defender than Parker. Patty also doesn't make opposing PGs work like Tony, since he's not a penetrator.

I actually wouldn't mind Manu running point for significant minutes, and going "big," but then you remove our primary bench asset.

I'm not behind Tony because I'm a "fan," I just see no alternative. You saw how bad the offense was tonight with him relegated/playing poorly, and OKC is a pretty poor defensive team. 90-100 points won't be enough to beat GS. Without Tony being on the radar as a "threat," the Spurs offense becomes even easier to stop. Contain LMA and/or Kawhi, and you win.

Spurs missed like 15 open 3s, bro:lol..

I haven't said a bad word about Parker in like 9 months, tbh..I've made multiple threads about how well he has played, this season, too..I just don't think he's reliable enough to have a designated role as the "3rd guy" anymore..

When he has his legs and everything is going well, then he should absolutely play the role of a top option, but the consistency isn't there anymore..

spursistan
03-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Really worried about the inconsistency behind Kawhi/LMA..it is basically a drought/deluge type of contribution from the rest of the roster..If one of Aldrige/Kawhi has a bad scoring night, we're toast..

100%duncan
03-12-2016, 11:10 PM

I dont think he's worse, plus he made some big rebounding plays in the 3rd.

gilmor
03-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Spurs missed like 15 open 3s, bro:lol..

I haven't said a bad word about Parker in like 9 months, tbh..I've made multiple threads about how well he has played, this season, too..I just don't think he's reliable enough to have a designated role as the "3rd guy" anymore..

When he has his legs and everything is going well, then he should absolutely play the role of a top option, but the consistency isn't there anymore..

Totally agree with this.. Tonight West and Bobo (in a limited sense) came true..

I think Pop also realise this

ElNono
03-12-2016, 11:14 PM

I don't know who's the worse defender tbh, against those top teams... It's about hiding them. Patty just gives you a different look, spacing the floor. I don't disagree that it would be nice to have 2012/13 Tony, but he's not there anymore, and he won't be IMO. This is what we have now.

SAGirl
03-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Frankly I am kind of sad about that Boris is one of my favorite players and he's lost minutes depending on the matches to D West, Anderson, and Butler who is not even on the team.

It's beyond concerning. I still love his game but again only 9 minutes this game. That's as much as Anderson played and he gave up some if his minutes to Kmart.

I agree with EVAY (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=4443). I think Boris has reached a stage where he has to take better care of his body like the big 3 have to keep up his production and hasn't. He's still a very unselfish player whose passing and intelligence is still there but he labors to score and has declined defensively.

GSH
03-12-2016, 11:40 PM
The resident retards will somehow find a way to place the blame on the Parker

Turns out you were right. Anyone who blames tonight's win on Parker is a retard.

apalisoc_9
03-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Been offering a live podcast discussion about Parker to midnightpulp but he wont budge. Like it or not, This team doesnt have a third option..Everything is by committe after Leonard and Aldridge

midnightpulp
03-13-2016, 03:45 AM
Been offering a live podcast discussion about Parker to midnightpulp but he wont budge. Like it or not, This team doesnt have a third option..Everything is by committe after Leonard and Aldridge

I thought you haven't set it up yet.

if Parker does indeed get absorbed into the "committee," then we have no chance in Hell at winning a title. Scoring by committee just requires too many moving parts to be in sync at the same time. Hopefully Duncan and Manu perk up in the playoffs, and then I'll shut up about Parker being the 3rd guy.

Arcadian
03-13-2016, 04:22 AM
The spurs won a championship by committee just two years ago.

apalisoc_9
03-13-2016, 04:25 AM

if Parker does indeed get absorbed into the "committee," then we have no chance in Hell at winning a title. Scoring by committee just requires too many moving parts to be in sync at the same time. Hopefully Duncan and Manu perk up in the playoffs, and then I'll shut up about Parker being the 3rd guy.

They are 55 and 10 with him being part of the committee. The perfect recipe to win against GSW is slow and star dependant so I have no idea why you want to move away from a recipe desinged to beat GSW

spursistan
03-13-2016, 04:28 AM

Don't think that post-Feb 1 split is sustainable in the playoffs on similar efficiency when defenses key on both LMA/KL..another guy need to step up for this team, somebody who may not qualify as exactly a bonafide third option (18-20 PPG), but one who can contribute 13-14 PPG on regular basis..

Robz4000
03-13-2016, 04:45 AM

Disagree. As long as the Spurs have two guys along with Kawhi/LMA playing great offensively, they can get by GS provided the defense remains true. The problem is keeping the shooting consistent, which has been a problem all season.

apalisoc_9
03-13-2016, 04:56 AM

Don't think that post-Feb 1 split is sustainable in the playoffs on similar efficiency when defenses key on both LMA/KL..another guy need to step up for this team, somebody who may not qualify as exactly a bonafide third option (18-20 PPG), but one who can contribute 13-14 PPG on regular basis..

Porker-Mills-Ginobili-Green needs to score 35 between the four of them. They scored a measly 15 points tonight, that's not going to be enough against GSW.

I don't think they need a third guy. They just need something from Green and Parker for the starters and Mills and Ginobili of the bench. If Parker and Green can average 20 pts between them two in a golden series..we have a pretty good chance.

Kawhi and Aldridge 45pts
Danny and Parker 22
Mills and Manu 17
Diaw and West 12
Duncan-Anderson-Martin-Simmons 5

Can give the spurs a decent chance every game against the warriors.

The defense won tonight, but it was mostly against a predicable offense. You're not going to hold GSW to under 90.

You need to score 100 every game...and play the kind of defense you played tonight. Thatd the recipe to beat gsw

Robz4000
03-13-2016, 04:58 AM
Porker-Mills-Ginobili-Green needs to score 35 between the four of them. They scored a measly 15 points tonight, that's not going to be enough against GSW.

I don't think they need a third guy. They just need something from Green and Parker for the starters and Mills and Ginobili of the bench. If Parker and Green can average 20 pts between them two in a golden series..we have a pretty good chance.

Kawhi and Aldridge 45pts
Danny and Parker 22
Mills and Manu 17
Diaw and West 12
Duncan-Anderson-Martin-Simmons 5

Can give the spurs a decent chance every game against the warriors.

The defense won tonight, but it was mostly against a predicable offense. You're not going to hold GSW to under 90.

You need to score 100 every game...and play the kind of defense you played tonight. Thatd the recipe to beat gsw

Duncan will score more than 5 points in the playoffs by himself tbh, even against GS.

apalisoc_9
03-13-2016, 05:01 AM
Duncan will score more than 5 points in the playoffs by himself tbh, even against GS.

He will probably get 10 or so. Im trying my best not to put to much expectation on timmy against GSW though...but he will get 8+.

Robz4000
03-13-2016, 05:03 AM
He will probably get 10 or so. Im trying my best not to put to much expectation on timmy against GSW though...but he will get 8+.

As long as they don't go small, he can play against them. Obviously he'll get attacked on the PnR, but at this point all but LMA is weak against it.

100%duncan
03-13-2016, 05:05 AM

I think you just got hit too much by that GSW beatdown imho. Unlike others who promote the "committee" , im not expecting beautiful game back but I'm being realistic in the sense that all we have is a Kawhi LMA 2 man game to be consistent in the playoffs. After that it might be parker, and etc. But i dont expect parker to be a threat to every game. I think it has to be that way unless he suddenly becomes consistent or his health or his attitude.

SouthernFried
03-13-2016, 05:21 AM
If PARKER is not the 3rd option...he shouldn't be out there. He does nothing else and is a huge liability if not scoring.

I'd rather have Miller running point if Parker is not scoring. At least he's an assist guy..and even at 100 yrs old he could play better D. Much better for the "committee" option...imho ;)

Old School 44
03-13-2016, 05:28 AM
Would it be nice to have a consistent third option? Maybe. Do the Spurs need it? No. The Spurs are talented and deep enough that it doesn't matter. Any given night someone from this group (Tim, Manu, Patty, Boris, Tony, David and even Danny "d- league" Green) is capable of scoring 15-17 points. Each person in this group can even average 8-10 points per game.

I'm not worried about the Spurs having a consistent third option. It might even be an advantage not to have one. LeBron said it best when defending the Spurs, "everyone on the court is live".

As as far as this game tonight...great looks, shoot a little better, and this game's a blowout.

SouthernFried
03-13-2016, 05:30 AM
Would it be nice to have a consistent third option? Maybe. Do the Spurs need it? No. The Spurs are talented and deep enough that it doesn't matter. Any given night someone from this group (Tim, Manu, Patty, Boris, Tony, David and even Danny "d- league" Green) is capable of scoring 15-17 points. Each person in this group can even average 8-10 points per game.

I'm not worried about the Spurs having a consistent third option. It might even be an advantage not to have one. LeBron said it best when defending the Spurs, "everyone on the court is live".

As as far as this game tonight...great looks, shoot a little better, and this game's a blowout.

Yeah, watching the Spurs new "2 man" game, is kinda disconcerting. That's not the Spurs game we've been watching for the last 2 decades. Not saying that ain't our future tho. It just...is kinda weird. lol

ceperez
03-13-2016, 05:55 AM
Pop kept pushing not taking 3's the entire season.

However, now when the Spurs need to make a 3, they've been laying a big egg for so many games now.

Against OKC shots were not just not connecting, they weren't even close to going in!

dabom
03-13-2016, 08:04 AM
OP such a faggot.:lmao

SpursIndonesia
03-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Pop kept pushing not taking 3's the entire season.

However, now when the Spurs need to make a 3, they've been laying a big egg for so many games now.

Against OKC shots were not just not connecting, they weren't even close to going in!

Yeah, it is as if the Spurs shooters are not practicing at all, no confidence at all in their long range shot. I think this will be this team undoing, their defense is championship level for many other season, but not this season, not against that alien like shooting team from gay area.

Keepin' it real
03-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Really worried about the inconsistency behind Kawhi/LMA..it is basically a drought/deluge type of contribution from the rest of the roster..If one of Aldrige/Kawhi has a bad scoring night, we're toast..

56-10

I'll take that all day every day.

look_at_g_shred
03-13-2016, 09:32 AM
And somebody other than Martin can hit a 3 tbh

hater
03-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Manutard MO is to spin the blame on others :lmao

Rob Ryan could've stopped Manu in the first half

:lol

RD2191
03-13-2016, 09:49 AM
If we make it to the WCF we need to start Miller imo.

ElNono
03-13-2016, 09:57 AM

That's exactly how it works, mid... you and I both know that. This is why an injury to Tim/Manu basically drops our chances to zero, tbh...

Old School 44
03-13-2016, 10:04 AM
The league has shifted away from the big three model. Now, it's the big two and committee. Big three and committee would be great, but it's tougher to afford/accomplish.

Warriors and Spurs are great examples of big two and committee.

The Thunder, tried to go with the old model, big three with Westbrook, Durant and either Ibaka/Kanter, but really have a big two with no committee.

Look at the Clips, big two and committee. Sure their committee isn't as good as the Spurs and the Warriors, but still are closer to this model than the Thunder. That's why I'd prefer the Thunder in a playoff matchup.

The Cavs are sort of like the Thunder. Tried to go with the old model big three, James/Irving/Love, but the chemistry's not right and now they are a big two with no committee. They still tried to buy a committee, but really haven't been successful. Highest payroll in the league.

HankChinaski
03-13-2016, 11:28 AM
I liked how the defense was set to matchup against The thunder. The Spurs had a awful shooting night yet the game felt entirely under their control even with the lead lost.

If the Spurs hit half of those open looks they missed last night we close out the thunder at home easily last night

They played a good defensive game last night and got the W.

DAF86
03-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Tony, Tim, Manu, Patty, Boris. All capable of getting you 15-20 any given night. It's been like that all season long: KL and LA and then whoever gets it going that night. I don't know what you are bitching about.

spursistan
03-13-2016, 06:43 PM

Not a shabby Big 2..

midnightpulp
03-14-2016, 01:34 AM
They are 55 and 10 with him being part of the committee. The perfect recipe to win against GSW is slow and star dependant so I have no idea why you want to move away from a recipe desinged to beat GSW

And who has the better stars?

Also, Parker averages 2.5 more PPG on much better shooting than our 4th best scorer (Manu), so while he might part of the committee, he's obviously the CEO of it.

And yes, I advocate slowing the game down against GS, which is all the more reason to utilize Parker's strengths, since he's been very good throughout his career at breaking down defenses with penetration and probing in the half-court. We also need someone who can make Wardell work (although GS will likely just hide Wardell on Green).

midnightpulp
03-14-2016, 01:47 AM
Tony, Tim, Manu, Patty, Boris. All capable of getting you 18-20 any given night. It's been like that all season long: KL and LA and then whoever gets it going that night. I don't know what you are bitching about.

:lol Any given night.

Patty has three 18+ point games this season. Duncan has one. Boris has one. Manu has two.

Go look at their season splits. They score those numbers maybe once every 20 games. 18 one night and then following up with 6 or 7 points the next 5 or 6 games won't be good enough to beat the Warriors. Tony is the only player on this team who has proven he can string multiple 18-20 point games together.

Yeah, whoever gets it going. Guess what? Tony is the usually the one who has it (somewhat) going.

apalisoc_9
03-14-2016, 02:01 AM
And who has the better stars?

Also, Parker averages 2.5 more PPG on much better shooting than our 4th best scorer (Manu), so while he might part of the committee, he's obviously the CEO of it.

And yes, I advocate slowing the game down against GS, which is all the more reason to utilize Parker's strengths, since he's been very good throughout his career at breaking down defenses with penetration and probing in the half-court. We also need someone who can make Wardell work (although GS will likely just hide Wardell on Green).

Who has the better stars between the two teams is irrelevant. The point being is that, against golden state you need two guys that can either post up as a big ( see memphis series) or a wing that can post up and play in the triple threat zone ( see finals). The spurs have both ..something memphis or cleveland didnt have.

Parker is going to have to play off those two offense because his penetration is the most vurneable to Golden state transition points. Attcking with Parker maximizes Golden state defensive potential and transition threes.

That's a recipe for disaster. He needs to set them up, not try to be a 15ppg man.

midnightpulp
03-14-2016, 02:12 AM
Who has the better stars between the two teams is irrelevant. The point being is that, against golden state you need two guys that can either post up as a big ( see memphis series) or a wing that can post up and play in the triple threat zone ( see finals). The spurs have both ..something memphis or cleveland didnt have.

Parker is going to have to play off those two offense because his penetration is the most vurneable to Golden state transition points. Attcking with Parker maximizes Golden state defensive potential and transition threes.

That's a recipe for disaster. He needs to set them up, not try to be a 15ppg man.

So how do you suppose the Spurs are going to punish GS for doubling? Danny "1-9" Green 3s? :lol

If the ball is swung back to Parker on the weak side during a Kawhi or LMA double, he'll likely have Steph one-on-one with an open driving lane. Kyrie scored 10 points in the paint in game 1 last Finals (before he got injured in the 4th).

You need to have an additional penetrator against GS, since their 3 point defense is one of the best in the league, so I'm not counting on punishing them with Danny Green or Mills when they bring hard doubles and swarm.

apalisoc_9
03-14-2016, 02:21 AM
So how do you suppose the Spurs are going to punish GS for doubling? Danny "1-9" Green 3s? :lol

If the ball is swung back to Parker on the weak side during a Kawhi or LMA double, he'll likely have Steph one-on-one with an open driving lane. Kyrie scored 10 points in the paint in game 1 last Finals (before he got injured in the 4th).

You need to have an additional penetrator against GS, since their 3 point defense is one of the best in the league, so I'm not counting on punishing them with Danny Green or Mills when they bring hard doubles and swarm.

The spurs won't win if Green doesnt hit at least 35% of his threes anyway and average 2 threes a game. Parker penetrating is fine, but it has to be after a Leonard or Adlridge action. Alternativley, he can choose to shoot the ball.

I mistype. What I wanted to say os that relying on Parker Pick and roll or Pop game is disastrous. If he's penetrating after a swing, then by all means attack if the lane is there.

Just minimze the screen and whatever out of Parker to obvious sets..like the obvious pop, or kawhi punch. He obviously needs to attack on those situations if GSW overplays, but these arent whag you are going to use heavily against GSW.

midnightpulp
03-14-2016, 02:29 AM
The spurs won't win if Green doesnt hit at least 35% of his threes anyway and average 2 threes a game. Parker penetrating is fine, but it has to be after a Leonard or Adlridge action. Alternativley, he can choose to shoot the ball.

I mistype. What I wanted to say os that relying on Parker Pick and roll or Pop game is disastrous. If he's penetrating after a swing, then by all means attack if the lane is there.

Just minimze the screen and whatever out of Parker to obvious sets..like the obvious pop, or kawhi punch. He obviously needs to attack on those situations if GSW overplays, but these arent whag you are going to use heavily against GSW.

Yes, this is what I'm endorsing. It's how he (and Manu) also attacked in the Duncan-era. Duncan would get doubled-tripled, and Parker/Manu would clean up on penetration.

Not Parker going iso. Although, Parker will have to iso/play a 2 man game with Duncan occasionally to give GS a different look and to give LMA/Kawhi a breath.

And I've been so adamant about Parker as the 3rd guy precisely because I don't believe Green can hit threes at that clip against the Warriors. I've lost all confidence in his shooting. If he could give us a consistent 8-10 points, then I wouldn't hand wring over the Spurs needing a "3rd guy."

apalisoc_9
03-14-2016, 02:39 AM
Yes, this is what I'm endorsing. It's how he (and Manu) also attacked in the Duncan-era. Duncan would get doubled-tripled, and Parker/Manu would clean up on penetration.

Not Parker going iso. Although, Parker will have to iso/play a 2 man game with Duncan occasionally to give GS a different look and to give LMA/Kawhi a breath.

And I've been so adamant about Parker as the 3rd guy precisely because I don't believe Green can hit threes at that clip against the Warriors. I've lost all confidence in his shooting. If he could give us a consistent 8-10 points, then I wouldn't hand wring over there being a "3rd guy."

The diffrence between those Manu and Parker during the Duncan era is that no one was as good as those and not even close to taking advantage of Timms ability to draw crowds. They were legitimiate stars, specially Manu.

Parker penetration isnt at a level where you could say it is much better than Mills three or Manu three at this point of his career. That's exactly why he's part of "the comitte".

In other words, whoever is taking the most advantage out of Kawhi and Aldridge offensive game for that specific game should eat the minutes or scoring..That could be Manu, Patty, Green, Parker..heck could even be Martin or Anderson.

Parker is going to naturally be more involved since he starts the game, but late 2nd quarter and late third to fourth quarter is about whoever takes the most out of Kawhis and Aldridge game.

Both Mills and Manu offer different offensive varities too if they wanna give Leonard ot Aldridge some breathing room.

SAGirl
03-14-2016, 03:08 AM
Manu and Patty should be on watch alert. Patty is most strictly a shooter and he hasn't been shy on his shots, but he's been slumping lately. Manu is not fully back. He had the adrenaline game and has also been off the rest of the games.

I haven't liked Martin, even with his shot that he made he is so bad at everything else that he's quickly on Austin Daye territory for me as a shooter who you have to give a lot opportunities to score to justify his time on the court bc he's terrible defensively and doesn't give you anything else. Daye at least rebounded and gave you the occasional steal or block, but Martin should be the better shooter. Still hasn't been shooting a whole lot better than Daye was b4 he was cut last season and he really doesn't give you anything else. Yuck!.

Andre Miller I have liked but you can't play him off the ball. His best attribute is passing. I would like to see a little bit more of him, but I have liked him.

AFMadison
03-14-2016, 03:31 AM

The resident retards will somehow find a way to place the blame on the Parker, but he's in deferral mode tonight. Danny "D League" Green will predictably get a pass, as will "MVPatty." At least Duncan is showing up (but at his age, you just can't count on many of these kinds of games), but other than that, the "Committee" fuckin' blows. And this isn't a recent trend. The role players have sucked ass for over a month now.

Yeah, yeah. Only the first half, but this half has been emblematic of how the Spurs have been playing since the ASB. Top heavy scoring with little role player support. Which is why Parker HAS to be that 3rd scorer, because no one else can do it (and believe me, I wish someone else could, since Parker is inconsistent himself).
Who cares we won the game

DAF86
03-14-2016, 11:39 AM
:lol Any given night.

Patty has three 18+ point games this season. Duncan has one. Boris has one. Manu has two.

Go look at their season splits. They score those numbers maybe once every 20 games. 18 one night and then following up with 6 or 7 points the next 5 or 6 games won't be good enough to beat the Warriors. Tony is the only player on this team who has proven he can string multiple 18-20 point games together.

Yeah, whoever gets it going. Guess what? Tony is the usually the one who has it (somewhat) going.

Well, that should be obvious since, of the bunch, he's the one that plays the more minutes and takes the most shots.

And I said 15-20 pts not 18-20, you don't need your third scorer getting 20 ppg. No team ever did and I don't see why the best defensive team in the league should suddenly need a third option that gets you 20 pts every night.

I seriously don't get the point you're trying to make here. Parker is the third option of the team, I don't know what else you want. You want him to get you around 20 ppg? Sorry to break it to you son, but that's very unlikely to happen. First, because is really hard for a team to have 3 guys averaging around 20 ppg (not even with all the big 3 in their primes we ever pulled that off) and second, because Parker just doesn't have it to bring it every night. But hey! that's OK, I say we just keep doing what got us winning at a record level, tbh.

TD 21
03-15-2016, 10:21 PM
The league has shifted away from the big three model. Now, it's the big two and committee. Big three and committee would be great, but it's tougher to afford/accomplish.

Warriors and Spurs are great examples of big two and committee.

The Thunder, tried to go with the old model, big three with Westbrook, Durant and either Ibaka/Kanter, but really have a big two with no committee.

Look at the Clips, big two and committee. Sure their committee isn't as good as the Spurs and the Warriors, but still are closer to this model than the Thunder. That's why I'd prefer the Thunder in a playoff matchup.

The Cavs are sort of like the Thunder. Tried to go with the old model big three, James/Irving/Love, but the chemistry's not right and now they are a big two with no committee. They still tried to buy a committee, but really haven't been successful. Highest payroll in the league.

Yeah, all this talk about the "need for a consistent third scorer" is overblown. Of the top five teams, only the Clippers have one.

With Aldridge now comfortable and Martin on board, the Spurs once again have unparalleled scoring depth. Parker may be the closest thing to a consistent third, but they don't need any one person to be.

We're seeing it bear out with closing lineups, in close games. At this writing, only Leonard and Aldridge are assured of playing in those situations.

DAF86
03-15-2016, 10:24 PM
If we make 3's at a normal clip we are fine the way we are, tbh.

Cry Havoc
03-15-2016, 10:29 PM
Yeah, all this talk about the "need for a consistent third scorer" is overblown. Of the top five teams, only the Clippers have one.

With Aldridge now comfortable and Martin on board, the Spurs once again have unparalleled scoring depth. Parker may be the closest thing to a consistent third, but they don't need any one person to be.

We're seeing it bear out with closing lineups, in close games. At this writing, only Leonard and Aldridge are assured of playing in those situations.

Any other season and you'd probably be right.

This isn't any season. There's a team out there that will blow us out of the water if we aren't in very consistent shape come post-season. We can't have inconsistencies in our rotation players -- it just won't cut it against GSW.

DAF86
03-15-2016, 10:31 PM

This isn't any season. There's a team out there that will blow us out of the water if we aren't in very consistent shape come post-season. We can't have inconsistencies in our rotation players -- it just won't cut it against GSW.

What are you suggesting? Tony getting 15 shots everynight even when he's clearly not feeling it like today (and every recent game except the Bulls one)?

TD 21
03-15-2016, 10:45 PM

People always want things to be conventional or at least their perception there of. The reality is, this is the Spurs' version of consistent shape now.

Like DAF86 said, three-point shooting is more important.

Cry Havoc
03-15-2016, 10:51 PM
What are you suggesting? Tony getting 15 shots everynight even when he's clearly not feeling it like today (and every recent game except the Bulls one)?

I'm suggesting that relying on a bench that has not shown the ability to consistently perform will be our death knell against Golden State. We need at least B+ games from Tony. Relying on our bench against a 60-6 juggernaut is not a great strategy considering how loaded the Warriors are.

People always want things to be conventional or at least their perception there of. The reality is, this is the Spurs' version of consistent shape now.

Like DAF86 said, three-point shooting is more important.

For starters, there is absolutely nothing conventional about this Spurs team. So I don't know why you'd make that argument.

But it's not consistent. At all. Patty looks amazing when his shot is falling, when it's not he is not a game manager and therefore our ability to control the pace and flow of the game goes out the window.

Any player looks good when they're hitting. That doesn't mean he's the solution.

We need a consistent threat that can cause defenses to bend and warp night in and night out. Unless Patty can do that 4 times in a 7 game series against the other best defense in the league, it will end our season.

Maybe he and West will have the hot hand all playoffs, or at least all WCF. But I'd rather not rely on that shot to beat the Dubs.

dabom
03-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Low IQ poster. :lol

diego
03-15-2016, 10:53 PM

agreed, the spurs still have to find another gear come playoffs because as is GSW will beat us, we still havent hit all cylinders and they are cruising to records. Of course, you always expect vets to improve in the playoffs but every player is susceptible to injury or just a plain funk, and the reality is that basically every rotation player is going to have to play near their current best just to have a chance at GS right now.

and in that sense, im much more worried about LMA in the playoffs than I am the committee. The last time against GS he got destroyed, but since then he has steadily improved- if he and kawhi are a legit 1a/1b argument then the committee's job is significantly easier.

TD 21
03-15-2016, 10:57 PM
For starters, there is absolutely nothing conventional about this Spurs team. So I don't know why you'd make that argument.

But it's not consistent. At all. Patty looks amazing when his shot is falling, when it's not he is not a game manager and therefore our ability to control the pace and flow of the game goes out the window.

Any player looks good when they're hitting. That doesn't mean he's the solution.

We need a consistent threat that can cause defenses to bend and warp night in and night out. Unless Patty can do that 4 times in a 7 game series against the other best defense in the league, it will end our season.

Maybe he and West will have the hot hand all playoffs, or at least all WCF. But I'd rather not rely on that shot to beat the Dubs.

He's not; the team is and should be even more so now, that they're healthy and like I said, Aldridge is comfortable and in Martin, they added the much needed extra volume three-point shooting wing.

You're looking at them all individual or specifically. I'm saying, none of them will be consistent, but someone(s) almost always will be, with this much depth.

Cry Havoc
03-15-2016, 10:59 PM
agreed, the spurs still have to find another gear come playoffs because as is GSW will beat us, we still havent hit all cylinders and they are cruising to records. Of course, you always expect vets to improve in the playoffs but every player is susceptible to injury or just a plain funk, and the reality is that basically every rotation player is going to have to play near their current best just to have a chance at GS right now.

and in that sense, im much more worried about LMA in the playoffs than I am the committee. The last time against GS he got destroyed, but since then he has steadily improved- if he and kawhi are a legit 1a/1b argument then the committee's job is significantly easier.

Remember that in the playoffs, the game slows down significantly, which allows bigs to get into a rhythm more easily. LMA will be fine. We also have the best coach in the league who will be drawing up plays for him, so it'll likely be a much more concerted, focused effort. Glad we won't see the Dubs until the WCF, it'll give LMA time to adjust to the playoffs and get some comfort level with the intensity in SA, and he'll have at least 2 road games per series as well.

My big concern is that outside of Kawhi and LMA, the Spurs are a team that relies on shooting prowess unless Tony and Manu can foray into the defense to cause bad rotations. That's why we need him. Otherwise, GSW just stays at home and dares people to shoot except for some help D on Kawhi. That's a worst case scenario. Patty won't get nearly as many open 3s against the Warriors -- especially since Kerr is a Pop protege and will have some idea of what we're going to run.

Cry Havoc
03-15-2016, 11:00 PM
He's not; the team is and should be even more so now, that they're healthy and like I said, Aldridge is comfortable and in Martin, they added the much needed extra volume three-point shooting wing.

You're looking at them all individual or specifically. I'm saying, none of them will be consistent, but someone(s) almost always will be, with this much depth.

Martin was a great add, was super happy to grab him and Miller. Veteran hands to steady the ship.

The problem is, if you have to cycle through all your weapons to find the hot hand, you could be down 15 to the best team the NBA has seen in a long time (along with that 2014 Spurs squad). I think I'd take the Warriors against just about any team in history, tbh.

DAF86
03-15-2016, 11:06 PM
I'm suggesting that relying on a bench that has not shown the ability to consistently perform will be our death knell against Golden State. We need at least B+ games from Tony. Relying on our bench against a 60-6 juggernaut is not a great strategy considering how loaded the Warriors are.

And relying on a guy that scores big once every 5 games (at best) is a recepie for sucess? How do you propose the Spurs should play to achieve this feat, that hasn't happened so far this season, of making Tony a consistent scorer?

apalisoc_9
03-15-2016, 11:09 PM
Why would anyone force parker to be someone he not at this point is beyond me :lol

itzsoweezee
03-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Taking shots away from LMA and Kawhi to give to Parker would be beyond stupid.

Parker has no role to play against the warriors. They'll go under the screen and make him shoot his stupid jumpshot, he'll miss and the warriors will be out running.

At least Patty puts some pressure on the defense. Parker makes it that much easier to defend LMA and Kawhi.

diego
03-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Remember that in the playoffs, the game slows down significantly, which allows bigs to get into a rhythm more easily. LMA will be fine. We also have the best coach in the league who will be drawing up plays for him, so it'll likely be a much more concerted, focused effort. Glad we won't see the Dubs until the WCF, it'll give LMA time to adjust to the playoffs and get some comfort level with the intensity in SA, and he'll have at least 2 road games per series as well.

My big concern is that outside of Kawhi and LMA, the Spurs are a team that relies on shooting prowess unless Tony and Manu can foray into the defense to cause bad rotations. That's why we need him. Otherwise, GSW just stays at home and dares people to shoot except for some help D on Kawhi. That's a worst case scenario. Patty won't get nearly as many open 3s against the Warriors -- especially since Kerr is a Pop protege and will have some idea of what we're going to run.

It is good that LMA will get some playoff reps before facing GS, but I have to see it to believe it before I can assume he'll be fine. I would say especially kawhi and lma depend on their shooting, they take the most mid range jumpers on the team (along with tony and west). tim and manu are going to attack the basket, you cant ask them to score 20 a night but they are still solid. the biggest problem right now is that diaw is practically useless right now- its great that west is playing well and I like him, but we need diaw and his inside scoring, same with tony. those are your main inside scorers on the team, Pop isnt going to go to simmons and boban in the WCF. green, we need him to defend and hit the 3, his defense is good but to beat GS he has to be more than a specialist, and playmaking is out of the question :lol

GS also depends on their shooting, these two juggernaut teams setting records and they are both basically jump shooting teams on offense. In that sense both teams rely on their shooting, but what sets them apart is their defense and GS defense won the matchup in our last meeting. To beat GS you have to get them in pace, TO, rebounds, transition, curry is just on another planet shooting wise and like i said before, we'll basically need everyone to play near their best ability (a la 2014) to beat them, tony, mills, green, manu, leonard, diaw, west, aldridge and duncan all have to show up.

midnightpulp
03-16-2016, 03:03 AM
Too many people are being results oriented. The "committee's" performance in the past two games might be enough against pseudo-contenders like the Thunder and Clippers, but we're going to need much more firepower against the Warriors.

Here's my worries:

LMA and Kawhi are not elite level scorers. They are indeed great scorers, but neither player is the kind of guy to score 35-40 points in a playoff game(s). This is what made the '01 and '02 Lakers so tough to beat. Shaq and Kobe would combine for 60-70 points, which was a mountain for opponents to overcome. Steph and Klay routinely combine for those totals. Add in Draymond's 14-15 points per game, and their "Big 3" is a tough, tough matchup.

So let's be optimistic and say Kawhi and LMA combine for 45-50 points per game. Klay and Steph will probably combine for 60-65. Our top scorers right away are running about a 15 point deficit against their top two.

I expect Draymond to outscore Timmy by 2-5 points, Barnes to outscore Green anywhere from 2 to 10 points. So minus Bogut and Parker, the Spurs are running around a 25 point deficit.

Let's say the bench gets back 10-15 points, we're still 10-15 points in the hole. I know this analysis is in a vacuum, but there's no denying the fact the Warriors just flat out have more firepower across the board. And our defense didn't prove anything in the 1st matchup, so I'm not going to handwave our offensive concerns away with, "the Defense will equalize matters."

If you guys don't want the 3rd guy to be Parker, fair enough. He's looking like shit again, but then the Committee is going to have to find a way to score an extra 10-15 points, and LMA and Kawhi are going to have to remain consistent, with hopefully Kawhi "arriving" as that guy who can score 40.

You see how much tougher it is when Parker isn't scoring? It requires above and beyond performances from Mills, Manu, West, Diaw, Green, Duncan, and even Kawhi. If Tony could just be a guaranteed 12-15 points per game, while being a threat to go off for 25 (what people don't seem to get is that Tony being on the radar makes things easier for our top 2), shit would be a lot easier.

Saturday will tell us much more. Hopefully the Spurs kind of rope-a-doped GS in the first matchup.

PopTheGOAT
03-16-2016, 04:44 AM
Too many people are being results oriented. The "committee's" performance in the past two games might be enough against pseudo-contenders like the Thunder and Clippers, but we're going to need much more firepower against the Warriors.

Here's my worries:

LMA and Kawhi are not elite level scorers. They are indeed great scorers, but neither player is the kind of guy to score 35-40 points in a playoff game(s). This is what made the '01 and '02 Lakers so tough to beat. Shaq and Kobe would combine for 60-70 points, which was a mountain for opponents to overcome. Steph and Klay routinely combine for those totals. Add in Draymond's 14-15 points per game, and their "Big 3" is a tough, tough matchup.

So let's be optimistic and say Kawhi and LMA combine for 45-50 points per game. Klay and Steph will probably combine for 60-65. Our top scorers right away are running about a 15 point deficit against their top two.

I expect Draymond to outscore Timmy by 2-5 points, Barnes to outscore Green anywhere from 2 to 10 points. So minus Bogut and Parker, the Spurs are running around a 25 point deficit.

Let's say the bench gets back 10-15 points, we're still 10-15 points in the hole. I know this analysis is in a vacuum, but there's no denying the fact the Warriors just flat out have more firepower across the board. And our defense didn't prove anything in the 1st matchup, so I'm not going to handwave our offensive concerns away with, "the Defense will equalize matters."

If you guys don't want the 3rd guy to be Parker, fair enough. He's looking like shit again, but then the Committee is going to have to find a way to score an extra 10-15 points, and LMA and Kawhi are going to have to remain consistent, with hopefully Kawhi "arriving" as that guy who can score 40.

You see how much tougher it is when Parker isn't scoring? It requires above and beyond performances from Mills, Manu, West, Diaw, Green, Duncan, and even Kawhi. If Tony could just be a guaranteed 12-15 points per game, while being a threat to go off for 25 (what people don't seem to get is that Tony being on the radar makes things easier for our top 2), shit would be a lot easier.

Saturday will tell us much more. Hopefully the Spurs kind of rope-a-doped GS in the first matchup.
You're going on about a pipe dream, tbh. Tony isn't magically gonna get 5 years younger. What you can hope is that he, Duncan, and Manu do have a little extra oomph once money making time gets here. I expect this, tbqh. I also think West is gonna play a bigger role than expected in the playoffs. He didn't pass on 11 mil for nothing. He's gonna be playing with a purpose. Wouldn't be surprised to see him average around 11-12 ppg.

Against GS specifically, by biggest concern right now is Aldridge. I wanna see him show up on Saturday and be effective against all possible lineups thrown at us. If the Warriors are able to insert a lineup in which Aldridge is not effective or is a liability against, that is very, very bad. That would mean they could render 1 of our 2 main scorers practically useless.

Pop's just gotta get this team to play their game and prove that the big man can be effective against this team. Just because the Warriors have introduced a new way to play doesn't mean the Spurs way is obsolete. Contrary to popular belief these days, Curry isn't a god, and our defense is better than theirs. These 3 games against the Warriors are important. They have never beaten the current Spurs in a series. You all know they've heard the talk about them not having to play us last playoffs. There's gotta be some subconscious concern there on their part. It's natural. If we can beat them at least a couple of times, that's where we can plant those seeds...seeds of doubt.

I'll be watching Saturday and paying close attention to Aldridge. I have hope that our last meeting with GS was just a bad game. Hopefully he proves all the concerns I stated about him to be a fallacy.

GMFSG!

diego
03-16-2016, 08:02 AM

Here's my worries:

Last playoffs curry, klay and green averaged 61 a game. This season so far, 65. I don't think our defense is magically going to equalize anything, but you are crazy if you think they are getting that big of a "headstart" from their top 3. curry + klay wont average 60+ between them in any series period.

At the same time, I basically agree- alrdridge and Leonard need to be effective 20 pt scorers, the Defense has to be good enough to limit some of their weapons and the Committee has to score both inside and from 3. It's a tall order but not impossible

midnightpulp
03-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Last playoffs curry, klay and green averaged 61 a game. This season so far, 65. I don't think our defense is magically going to equalize anything, but you are crazy if you think they are getting that big of a "headstart" from their top 3. curry + klay wont average 60+ between them in any series period.

At the same time, I basically agree- alrdridge and Leonard need to be effective 20 pt scorers, the Defense has to be good enough to limit some of their weapons and the Committee has to score both inside and from 3. It's a tall order but not impossible

You have to remember Draymond, Klay, and Steph have all played limited minutes this season due to their games being blowouts (same with Kawhi and LMA).

Steph/Klay PPG per 100 possessions: 75

LMA/Kawhi: 62

Per 36:

Steph/Klay: 56

LMA/Kawhi: 44

So about a 12 point deficit in both.

And Draymond has about a 2ppg advantage over Duncan in both areas. Barnes has about a 4 point advantage over Green.

So there's an 18 point deficit right there to make up (in a vacuum, of course).

I could say trust our bench to make up the difference, but our bench isn't really any better than their's.

The silver lining is that Klay is prone to choking, and I think Barbosa and Livingston will underperform while our bench performs at par. We can throw Tony out as the 3rd guy, fine, but someone(s) is going to need to step up and be a threat. LMA and Kawhi can't do it all. 6 points here and then 15 points the next game from Manu or Patty won't cut it. Both of them need to play like they did tonight in every game of that potential series. And Danny also needs to contribute a consistent 6-10 points per game.

But my worry is that those three aren't capable of that kind of consistency. So I advocated Tony since he's been a consistent 15ppg scorer throughout the year, but appears he's gone to shit. So committee it is, I guess.

Robz4000
03-16-2016, 11:54 AM
You have to remember Draymond, Klay, and Steph have all played limited minutes this season due to their games being blowouts (same with Kawhi and LMA).

Steph/Klay PPG per 100 possessions: 75

LMA/Kawhi: 62

Per 36:

Steph/Klay: 56

LMA/Kawhi: 44

So about a 12 point deficit in both.

And Draymond has about a 2ppg advantage over Duncan in both areas. Barnes has about a 4 point advantage over Green.

So there's an 18 point deficit right there to make up (in a vacuum, of course).

I could say trust our bench to make up the difference, but our bench isn't really any better than their's.

The silver lining is that Klay is prone to choking, and I think Barbosa and Livingston will underperform while our bench performs at par. We can throw Tony out as the 3rd guy, fine, but someone(s) is going to need to step up and be a threat. LMA and Kawhi can't do it all. 6 points here and then 15 points the next game from Manu or Patty won't cut it. Both of them need to play like they did tonight in every game of that potential series. And Danny also needs to contribute a consistent 6-10 points per game.

But my worry is that those three aren't capable of that kind of consistency. So I advocated Tony since he's been a consistent 15ppg scorer throughout the year, but appears he's gone to shit. So committee it is, I guess.

You have to consider the defense too tbh. Despite that last game against GS, Green and Kawhi routinely give Curry and Klay trouble; hell, oftentimes Kawhi has taken Klay out of the game on offense. It isn't ridiculous to think, even with their improvements the last two seasons, that Wingstop can limit them to 50 points or less. Also, LMA has had several 40+ point games in the playoffs (in his last healthy postseason run no less) so expecting a consistent 30-35 points from him isn't too far out there. On top of that, Kawhi has been pretty consistent this season as the go-to guy averaging 20-25 points.

So then we get:
Curry/Klay: 50 points
Kawhi/LMA: 55 points

Makes it look better.

dabom
03-16-2016, 12:00 PM
You have to consider the defense too tbh. Despite that last game against GS, Green and Kawhi routinely give Curry and Klay trouble; hell, oftentimes Kawhi has taken Klay out of the game on offense. It isn't ridiculous to think, even with their improvements the last two seasons, that Wingstop can limit them to 50 points or less. Also, LMA has had several 40+ point games in the playoffs (in his last healthy postseason run no less) so expecting a consistent 30-35 points from him isn't too far out there. On top of that, Kawhi has been pretty consistent this season as the go-to guy averaging 20-25 points.

So then we get:

Makes it look better.

High IQ poster. :toast

DAF86
03-16-2016, 12:12 PM

Here's my worries:

OK, so what are you proposing? For Parker to take around 15 shots everynight? So instead of going 1 for 6 he can go 3 for 15? Seriously, please explain me your reasoning 'cause I don't get it and it's driving me mad.

Chinook
03-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Counting points is a poor strategy. You won't simultaneously see Thompson and Curry dropping 70 AND the rest of the guys dropping the remaining 45-50 points. That gets GS past their current ppg and completely ignores the effect the Spurs will have on them. Buy into their defense or not, the Spurs WILL slow down GS' pace by virtue of their offense alone, and that will drop their scoring down 5-10 points.

You can act like the Spurs' D won't slow down Curry and Klay. But it will damn sure slow down the other guys. Assuming that guys like Barnes are going to flirt with 20ppg while the Splash Bros. go off is insane. Who is ANYONE guarding in that scenario? Shit, you could probably get better results if you just put Green on Barnes and Kawhi on Draymond and erase them while still letting Curry and Klay get theirs. Then you have those guys tired out because they're not going to go for 80 in three quarters even against scrubs, while the Spurs aren't going to get less than that considering their increased pace.

ElNono
03-16-2016, 01:35 PM
I know it's not that easy, but the Spurs should make the dubs pay for having Bogut/Varejao out there... let them get theirs, they're not going to burn you the same way 3 point shooters will. Just help off them.

Chinook
03-16-2016, 01:37 PM
And before anyone tries to act like the Spurs will be forced to play GS' pace, they won't be. They might be tricked into it, but this isn't football. There's no reason to worry about having an even TOP in basketball. If the Warriors score after an average of 12 seconds on each possession while the Spurs score after 20 seconds, they both still get the same number of possessions. Simplifying it quite a bit, they'd each get 90 possessions a game.

The Spurs have to focus on efficiency, not volume. They can't turn the ball over and they can't take bad shots. They also need guys hitting the looks they get, obviously, but there's not a set number. For GS, they need to turn them over and force them to take bad shots. That's the skeleton. The connective tissues are things like winning the rebound battle (absolutely must that they win it handily) and to at least be respectable in the FT ratio. The Spurs should be able to win both of those aspects if they stay big and pound the Warriors inside.

Chinook
03-16-2016, 01:39 PM
I know it's not that easy, but the Spurs should make the dubs pay for having Bogut/Varejao out there... let them get theirs, they're not going to burn you the same way 3 point shooters will. Just help off them.

You have to combine that with LMA, Tim, West and Diaw forcing GS to play those guys. But yeah, it's like the exact opposite of the LAC gameplan. You can let Curry rack up as many assists as he wants -- any shot someone else takes is at least a minor victory.

dabom
03-16-2016, 01:39 PM
And before anyone tries to act like the Spurs will be forced to play GS' pace, they won't be. They might be tricked into it, but this isn't football. There's no reason to worry about having an even TOP in basketball. If the Warriors score after an average of 12 seconds on each possession while the Spurs score after 20 seconds, they both still get the same number of possessions.

Simplifying it quite a bit, they'd each get 90 possessions a game. The Spurs have to focus on efficiency, not volume. They can't turn the ball over and they can't take bad shots. They also need guys hitting the looks they get, obviously, but there's not a set number. For GS, they need to turn them over and force them to take bad shots. That's the skeleton. The connective tissues are things like winning the rebound battle (absolutely must that they win it handily) and to at least be respectable in the FT ratio. The Spurs should be able to win both of those aspects if they stay big and pound the Warriors inside.

The goods here.

apalisoc_9
03-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Tge spurs arebt exactly an average defensive team. They should be able to hold curry and klay under 55

apalisoc_9
03-16-2016, 01:52 PM
The spurs scoring efficiently is whats going to win them the series. It kills all the BS transition threes the warriors make

apalisoc_9
03-16-2016, 01:57 PM
It also make sense to not play like 14 and shot a lot of threes...like some mainstream idiots suggest..those lead to long defensive rebounds..just shoot them at the current pace

buttsR4rebounding
03-16-2016, 01:58 PM

So then we get:

Makes it look better.

Also, GSW are not playing at the same level as they did at the beginning of the season. They are very lucky not to have at least 2 or 3 more losses. Since the beginning of February their defense has given up an average of 108 pts/game. The only teams they held under 104 points were the Hawks, Lakers and Jazz. If the Spurs' defense can reduce the GSW offense even slightly GSW will give up the points and the Spurs will be victorious.

Chinook
03-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Let's put it this way. If an average Spurs performance combined with an average Warriors performance, the teams would have 97.1 possessions each. If we use ORtg as the basis for the predicted outcome, the Warriors would win that average match-up 111.3 to 107.6. If we use DRtg as the basis, the Spurs would win 100.7 to 94.91. Averaging both totals would give the Spurs a 104.2 to 103.1 victory. There is reason to assume the ratings down adequately reflect the teams' relative strengths, but it's at least as good of a measure as using PPG. It's at least as likely that the Spurs' defense will be a bigger factor in setting the tone of the series than GS' offense.

SAGirl
03-16-2016, 02:06 PM
The spurs scoring efficiently is whats going to win them the series. It kills all the BS transition threes the warriors make
The 22 + TO we spotted them did us in. That simply can't happen. The team remains a worry bc the Curry/Parker matchup is so lopsided. I am not squarely on any camp concerning Tony scoring, but games like the one we had against OKC, where we didn't get anything from Tony/Danny/Manu or Patty are a concern. Maybe that is where Pop throws Kmart out there for a couple of minutes.

In general Tony/Manu being old and unreliable scoring or slashing to the rim (which used to be money-either score or FT) and Danny/Mills being jumpshooters who will be streaky is where we could have trouble scoring.

Arcadian
03-16-2016, 06:49 PM
The Spurs have to focus on efficiency, not volume.

QFT

midnightpulp
03-17-2016, 01:08 AM
OK, so what are you proposing? For Parker to take around 15 shots everynight? So instead of going 1 for 6 he can go 3 for 15? Seriously, please explain me your reasoning 'cause I don't get it and it's driving me mad.

Yes, if he was still playing like he was in Nov-Feb, but he's fallen off a cliff (again), so I no longer trust him to be as consistent as he was during his peak months. Committee or bust.

dabom
03-17-2016, 01:20 AM
Mid finally getting it. Don't go "low IQ poster" again brah. :lol

dabom
03-17-2016, 01:21 AM
I hear you a good poster. Just need to dig a little harder for the diamonds.

midnightpulp
03-17-2016, 01:33 AM

Some worries here:

The Spurs do the bulk of their damage from the mid-range, and mid-range 2's are the most inefficient shot in basketball. The last team to win a title with mid-range basketball were the Lakers, but they could fade that relatively inefficient style because they were one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league. Another factor is that teams stupidly overplayed Kobe. Not to say Kawhi won't draw attention, but teams today are more careful about doubling on the perimeter.

LMA remains a concern. Not because I don't believe in his abilities, but because Golden State's swarming style is tough for any big to deal with (see what they did to Andre Drummond and other bigs [http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2016/2/21/11081344/warriors-vs-clippers-video-2016-highlights-warriors-defense-stephen-curry-draymond-green]http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2015/11/10/9703406/warriors-versus-pistons-2015-highlight-video-defense-andre-drummond] . Admittedly Drummond and Jordan are not as skilled as LMA, but it gives you an idea of the kind of pressure they can put on opposing bigs).

This is why I wanted that "3rd [perimeter] scorer." When the swarms come (and they'll do so to Kawhi as well when he gets into the post), we need to punish with cutting and/or 3 point shooting (yes, I know that plays in GS's hands, but no 3 point shooting=no spacing). I don't have faith in the latter right now, so I thought if Parker was up to task, he could punish the Warriors with cutting and penetration. Manu potentially can as well, but up until this last week, he's been even more inconsistent than Parker.

Me wanting a 3rd guy (or guys/committee) has less to do with me wanting to see someone step up and more to do with the protection an extra threat can offer Kawhi and LMA. I don't care who it is. Manu, Parker, Patty, but they need to be someone GS "fears.". If I'm the Warriors, the Spurs perimeter role players don't scare me like they might've scared teams in 2014.

And when the 3rd guy is feared, then that opens things up for a 4th guy and a 5th and so on. If you want the committee to be the defacto 3rd guy, fair enough, but I just thinks it requires too many moving parts, especially when a few of those parts are aging and/or poor offensive players (Green).

We can bench Parker. I don't care. I just want a couple of guys on the perimeter to be able to answer the call. So Manu/Patty it is.

midnightpulp
03-17-2016, 01:46 AM

So then we get:

Makes it look better.

I was confident until that game, and until that beatdown, we were very much the Warriors proverbial daddies.

My only hope is that it was some kind of gamemanship on the Spurs part, because I don't think we can stop that offense. Sure, we'll stop it better than every other team, but I don't think to the point that gives us any kind of edge in a series.

Silver linings are:

Klay is a choker. Raymond is just an average scorer. They have some noted chokers/inexperience on their bench, like Barbosa, Livingston, Rush, etc.

dabom
03-17-2016, 01:50 AM
Spurs are just the anti-warriors since forever. You don't need to over think it.

PopTheGOAT
03-17-2016, 01:53 AM

So then we get:

Makes it look better.
Depends on what you mean by consistent. He's not doing that every game. Maybe once a series isn't out of the question. He looks like he's getting more and more comfortable by the game, so who know where he'll be by then. But, I still don't think it's reasonable to expect 30-35 from a guy that's only scored 30+ once this season (36). I'd say around 25 is more reasonable. Until I see him string together a few 30+ games, I don't see it. I'd love to see it happen, though. We're gonna need the team to hit another gear or Kawhi/Aldridge to go beast mode.

apalisoc_9
03-17-2016, 02:32 AM
Some worries here:

The Spurs do the bulk of their damage from the mid-range, and mid-range 2's are the most inefficient shot in basketball. The last team to win a title with mid-range basketball were the Lakers, but they could fade that relatively inefficient style because they were one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league. Another factor is that teams stupidly overplayed Kobe. Not to say Kawhi won't draw attention, but teams today are more careful about doubling on the perimeter.

LMA remains a concern. Not because I don't believe in his abilities, but because Golden State's swarming style is tough for any big to deal with (see what they did to Andre Drummond and other bigs [http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2016/2/21/11081344/warriors-vs-clippers-video-2016-highlights-warriors-defense-stephen-curry-draymond-green]http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2015/11/10/9703406/warriors-versus-pistons-2015-highlight-video-defense-andre-drummond] . Admittedly Drummond and Jordan are not as skilled as LMA, but it gives you an idea of the kind of pressure they can put on opposing bigs).

This is why I wanted that "3rd [perimeter] scorer." When the swarms come (and they'll do so to Kawhi as well when he gets into the post), we need to punish with cutting and/or 3 point shooting (yes, I know that plays in GS's hands, but no 3 point shooting=no spacing). I don't have faith in the latter right now, so I thought if Parker was up to task, he could punish the Warriors with cutting and penetration. Manu potentially can as well, but up until this last week, he's been even more inconsistent than Parker.

Me wanting a 3rd guy (or guys/committee) has less to do with me wanting to see someone step up and more to do with the protection an extra threat can offer Kawhi and LMA. I don't care who it is. Manu, Parker, Patty, but they need to be someone GS "fears.". If I'm the Warriors, the Spurs perimeter role players don't scare me like they might've scared teams in 2014.

And when the 3rd guy is feared, then that opens things up for a 4th guy and a 5th and so on. If you want the committee to be the defacto 3rd guy, fair enough, but I just thinks it requires too many moving parts, especially when a few of those parts are aging and/or poor offensive players (Green).

We can bench Parker. I don't care. I just want a couple of guys on the perimeter to be able to answer the call. So Manu/Patty it is.

I'm on my phone so I cant do a long response, but the spurs do take a decent and healthy amount of close shots. So long as lamarcus and Kawhi hits 48% averages, they should be fine.

Again, we're trying to avoid long rebounds here....if lma and kawhi can be average from and efficicency standpoint...it should be enough.

Current efficiency, current pace and current defence is what you really need against GSW. Pop is actually planning things out perfectly this year.

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 02:37 AM
I'm on my phone so I cant do a long response, but the spurs do take a decent and healthy amount of close shots. So long as lamarcus and Kawhi hits 48% averages, they should be fine.

Again, we're trying to avoid long rebounds here....if lma and kawhi can be average from and efficicency standpoint...it should be enough.

Current efficiency, current pace and current defence is what you really need against GSW. Pop is actually planning things out perfectly this year.
Don't skip school kids.
Spurs just need to pick the ball movement up like I've been saying all year. Glad to see it finally happen in the 4th quarter against the Clips.

apalisoc_9
03-17-2016, 02:39 AM
Don't skip school kids.
Spurs just need to pick the ball movement up like I've been saying all year. Glad to see it finally happen in the 4th quarter against the Clips.

This retard still dreaming of 14 basketball...

:lmao

dabom
03-17-2016, 02:42 AM
Don't skip school kids.

That ball movement is with Patty "Thrills" Mills. :lmao

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 02:50 AM

Nah, I'm not advocating for motion offense, just more ball movement. Spurs are undefeated this year when they have 25+ assists a game. I'd love to see you argue with stats, but you'll probably just run away.

dabom
03-17-2016, 02:52 AM
Nah, I'm not advocating for motion offense, just more ball movement. Spurs are undefeated this year when they have 25+ assists a game. I'd love to see you argue with stats, but you'll probably just run away.

These are cop out statements tbh. Spurs get more assists when playing weaker competition. Faggot :lmao

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 02:52 AM
I agree? I'm not a player fan so I'm thinking you were expecting me to be butt hurt over that. Patty led with 6 assists against the dubs. Parker should have only played scrub minutes. Hopefully Tony will get his groove back.

apalisoc_9
03-17-2016, 02:53 AM

So cute

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 02:54 AM
These are cop out statements tbh. Spurs get more assists when playing weaker competition. Faggot :lmao
It's not a statement. It's a fact.

dabom
03-17-2016, 02:55 AM

So cute

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 02:56 AM
Yes, if he was still playing like he was in Nov-Feb, but he's fallen off a cliff (again), so I no longer trust him to be as consistent as he was during his peak months. Committee or bust.

Dude, you of all people knows that Parker cant stay consistent for a long period of time. And a 6-7 game series is one. You say each member of the committee is inconsistent? Yeah sure. But the probability of some of those members getting it going in a series is more reliable than parker scoring 15-20 in one.

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 02:57 AM
I told you, you guys would run

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 02:58 AM
Don't skip school kids.

Spurs has a 39 year old Ginobili, a bored Diaw, and an on and off Green and Mills. Pop has basically put all his eggs in one basket, and that basket is kawhi-lma-plus the guys who are on on a given night. It's not going to be a an "all-team effort" anymore like 2014 simply because of the change in (style) personnel.

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 03:00 AM

So cute

How are Ariza and Beal doing this year

dabom
03-17-2016, 03:01 AM

Better than porker. Faggot. :lmao

apalisoc_9
03-17-2016, 03:02 AM

:wow

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 03:04 AM
Better than porker. Faggot. :lmao
Isn't everybody :lmao
Glad Apo isn't running the team. We wouldn't even have the greatest NBA player in the world on our roster right now tbh

dabom
03-17-2016, 03:06 AM
Isn't everybody :lmao
Glad Apo isn't running the team. We wouldn't even have the greatest NBA player in the world on our roster right now tbh

You can't read 2 threads at a time faggot? :lmao

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 03:09 AM
You can't read 2 threads at a time faggot? :lmao
Glad Apo isn't running the team tbh.

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 03:12 AM
So easy to get these guys rattled. Always deflecting and running away.

TD 21
03-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Martin was a great add, was super happy to grab him and Miller. Veteran hands to steady the ship.

The problem is, if you have to cycle through all your weapons to find the hot hand, you could be down 15 to the best team the NBA has seen in a long time (along with that 2014 Spurs squad). I think I'd take the Warriors against just about any team in history, tbh.

It's called a rotation and no team, in recent years, has relied as heavily on their bench as this one. Despite Leonard/Aldridge, this season is no different.

In fact, if they're to beat the Warriors, it'll likely be due in large part to the bench drastically outplaying theirs.

spursistan
03-21-2016, 07:49 PM
This team becomes fodder when KAWHI/LMA aren't combining for +45..just dreadful contribution from outside the two since Feb..

midnightpulp
03-21-2016, 07:57 PM
^^^ Like I said. We're even getting scoring from td and tony, but the committee sucks so much ass, it's still isn't enough. I thought patty house and d league green were supposed to be shooting threats?

C:lolmmittee

midnightpulp
03-21-2016, 08:05 PM
And per par, fat ass boris can't manage two good games in a row.

TD 21
03-21-2016, 08:19 PM
It's fucking mind boggling that this can keep happening to this team. Closing in on two years of terrible offense on the road and a striking inability to win games they don't deserve (something elite teams generally excel at). So much for the Pelicans game being a seminal moment. More like a fluke for a Jekyll and Hyde team, who's undoing is probably going to be the fact that game 7 of the WCF won't be played at home.

spursistan
03-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Too many inconsistent shooters on this team..the lack of offense outside Kawhi/LMA-- not even lock to get their averages against Dubs-- will be our doom..Good fuckin luck with the pathetic streakiness of Green/mills getting you a game in Oracle assuming we are going to hold serve at SA..I'm more and more sharing Mid pessimism..70 game in..we are who we are..

midnightpulp
03-21-2016, 09:16 PM
It's fucking mind boggling that this can keep happening to this team. Closing in on two years of terrible offense on the road and a striking inability to win games they don't deserve (something elite teams generally excel at). So much for the Pelicans game being a seminal moment. More like a fluke for a Jekyll and Hyde team, who's undoing is probably going to be the fact that game 7 of the WCF won't be played at home.

:tu

spursistan
03-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Minus Manu, they got extra minutes to just put up numbers and the result was pretty mediocre..I'm just almost giving up on Mills/Green winning you a couple of games in the playoffs at this point..the decline of their shooting consistency has been the most puzzling Spurs trend of the past 16 month..it is either 5/6 night or bunch of 1-9s...

This game was microcosm of the season as far as our role players are concerned: Davis West is one the guy you would hope to have Horry game in a crucial series....

Hoops Czar
03-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Minus Manu, they got extra minutes to just put up numbers and the result was pretty mediocre..I'm just almost giving up on Mills/Green winning you a couple of games in the playoffs at this point..the decline of their shooting consistency has been the most puzzling Spurs trend of the past 16 month..it is either 5/6 night or bunch of 1-9s...

This game was microcosm of the season as far as our role players are concerned: Davis West is one the guy you would hope to have Horry game in a crucial series....
It's not puzzling at all. Both those players thrive in an uptempo style offense. Spurs are playing half court.

K...
03-26-2016, 09:39 PM

this wasnt a good game to get anyone going. ROAD, RIVAL, weird lineups.

Anyway, the bench of two years ago was Manu and a no ring Boris. I'm afraid we are going to have to win with normal starters/scrubs from now on unless kyle rally gets better nextyr

dabom
03-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Are you a fucktard?

They had little to no playmakers. No Manu, Tony, Kawhi to run the offense or LMA to work from the post or Tim from the top of the free throw line.

They were tasked to run the offense which they rarely do faggot. You don't know shit about basketball. :lmao

dabom
03-26-2016, 09:51 PM
I swear to fucking god some of these fucking posters on here don't know jack shit about basketball. :lmao

Hoops Czar
03-26-2016, 09:52 PM
I swear to fucking god some of these fucking posters on here don't know jack shit about basketball. :lmao This post!!!:lmao

kaji157
03-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Pop will do what he always did, expect for Manu to cover up everything wether it is scoring, dishing or defending.

He tried to trust Parker because he is seven years younger but that didnt work.

Letīs hope Manu can figure it out like in 2014, and not like 2013 when he couldnt handle be left all alone.

AFMadison
03-28-2016, 11:59 PM
I swear to fucking god some of these fucking posters on here don't know jack shit about basketball. :lmao
Easy now, we got the 2 seed locked

AFMadison
05-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Don't skip school kids.

I agree? I'm not a player fan so I'm thinking you were expecting me to be butt hurt over that. Patty led with 6 assists against the dubs. Parker should have only played scrub minutes. Hopefully Tony will get his groove back.

So cute

It's not a statement. It's a fact.

Talk about not knowing jack shit about basketball. If these guys ran the team we'd be running ISO's with Ariza and Beal straight into a lottery pick :lol