PDA

View Full Version : Why no Kevin Martin???

jermaine
03-12-2016, 10:25 PM
I don't understand why Pop isn't playing him... Before anyone say there's no plays for him. I'm sure they can run a p&r or a p&p with him. You don't need set plays for that. He took one shot, an hit it. Meanwhile Danny Green is chunking an missing..

ElNono
03-12-2016, 10:31 PM
he was awful in the 1st half defensively...

DPG21920
03-12-2016, 10:33 PM
This is not the time for Kevin.

jermaine
03-12-2016, 10:37 PM
An I'm sure we could use his offense. He didn't get beat by no one, but he's awful!?!

ace3g
03-12-2016, 11:10 PM
With the teams we are playing right now and lack of corporate knowledge, probably won't play much on this 5 game homestead unless we are up 10+ pts.

Still have time to get him acclimated with the system.

Emperor
03-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Who cares Spurs won.

cjw
03-12-2016, 11:13 PM
He needs to get his feet wet against crap teams. He's not ready for games like this - needs to learn tendencies and defensive rotations.

hater
03-12-2016, 11:15 PM
We were about to lose our home court tbqh.

What was weird for me was no Miller. Dude woulda helped imo.

Okc is a 2 man team tbh. That's probably why lol was nit attempting to try shit

UNT Eagles 2016
03-12-2016, 11:15 PM
An I'm sure we could use his offense. He didn't get beat by no one, but he's awful!?!

He made a 3 but his defense is atrocious.

HarlemHeat37
03-12-2016, 11:17 PM
As others have said, it's way too early to give him minutes in games like these, tbh..

He even discussed the complexity of the Spurs system in the interview he gave the other day, it's going to take a few weeks..

SpurPadre
03-12-2016, 11:18 PM
This is not the time for Kevin.

This isn't November though. He needs minutes in this system before the playoffs.

Poolboy5623
03-12-2016, 11:18 PM
You want min for a guy they just signed, against okc....and you say "I don't understand why pop isn't playing him?" Thats not how pop rolls.

jermaine
03-12-2016, 11:28 PM
When Danny is 0 for 8 an Ginobili is turning the ball over left an right!?! Even Pop said it himself. Martin is a shooter. He's a 12yr vet that knows how to score. We could hide his defensive woes...

Mnky
03-12-2016, 11:33 PM
When Danny is 0 for 8 an Ginobili is turning the ball over left an right!?! Even Pop said it himself. Martin is a shooter. He's a 12yr vet that knows how to score. We could hide his defensive woes...

Yea theae arguments about his defense are just bad takes. He would replace ginobilli, Parker or mills. All of which gave very little resistance tonight. If they're already scoring on you and not phased, it doesn't matter how bad he is. All that matters is if he is better than them on offense.

That being said, he doesn't know where to be or how they switch yet. I'm comfortable with pop pulling him quick if he misses assignments. Set the tone. You don't have to get stops, but you have to know your spot on defense or you hurt your team defense.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Yea theae arguments about his defense are just bad takes. He would replace ginobilli, Parker or mills. All of which gave very little resistance tonight. If they're already scoring on you and not phased, it doesn't matter how bad he is. All that matters is if he is better than them on offense.

That being said, he doesn't know where to be or how they switch yet. I'm comfortable with pop pulling him quick if he misses assignments. Set the tone. You don't have to get stops, but you have to know your spot on defense or you hurt your team defense.

He played in Green's spot tonight though.

wildcardX
03-12-2016, 11:35 PM
New guy in lineup might fuck up the rotation chemistry, could be the difference between a win and a loss in a close game.

Mnky
03-12-2016, 11:35 PM
He played in Green's spot tonight though.

He would be second unit sg. Ginobilli, Parker and mills rotate that spot as they all take turns playing pg.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 11:37 PM
He would be second unit sg. Ginobilli, Parker and mills rotate that spot as they all take turns playing pg.

Won't happen this late in the season, unless the other bench is playing small, in which case we might play a 3 guard lineup

TheGreatYacht
03-12-2016, 11:41 PM
I noticed he didn't rotate on the loop play for Tony, and disrupted that possession. Coaching staff looked pissed.

Hit the Ferrari 3 when the thunder were within 2 IIRC though.

Big balls Martin

GSH
03-12-2016, 11:42 PM
I don't know. Usually Pop's rotations have nothing to do with match-ups. And he never starts firming up playoff rotations at this point in the season. So I can't think of any reason for it.

Mnky
03-12-2016, 11:43 PM
Won't happen this late in the season, unless the other bench is playing small, in which case we might play a 3 guard lineup

He plays a lot of parker/mills Sg/pg. He does it even when the match-up doesn't call for it. I have to believe it's because the lack of handling and playmaking in the back court of the second unit. The last few times Simmons has played, he has gotten pg duty as well. Which, just takes the load off of one main handler and makes the defense play more honest. Kevin can fit in these lineups. He has the ability to distribute and drive for fouls. He would be taking minutes from one of those.

I doubt pop brought in Martin this late with chemistry issue concern if he wasn't committed to playing him. Especially getting rid of Butler who knew the system already and was good insurance off the bench.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 11:48 PM
He plays a lot of parker/mills Sg/pg. He does it even when the match-up doesn't call for it. I have to believe it's because the lack of handling and playmaking in the back court of the second unit. The last few times Simmons has played, he has gotten pg duty as well. Which, just takes the load off of one main handler and makes the defense play more honest. Kevin can fit in these lineups. He has the ability to distribute and drive for fouls. He would be taking minutes from one of those.

I doubt pop brought in Martin this late with chemistry issue concern if he wasn't committed to playing him. Especially getting rid of Butler who knew the system already and was good insurance off the bench.

uh? Simmons has only played PG when Manu was out or in garbage time in the past month or two. Pop is a guy that tries not to disrupt lineups, especially this late in the season. He obviously thinks KMart can play, and he can use it against specific teams, when resting guys, on specific plays, or when looking for more offense. But he starts off behind Mills/Manu/TP and probably fathead in the rotation, that's not changing now. It would've been a different story if he was with the team from the start of the season, but wer're here now.

cd98
03-12-2016, 11:49 PM
He'll get minutes but it would be unfair to put him in the line up of a big game against a good team with so little time in the system. There will be a time to get him more minutes, but not yet.

DPG21920
03-12-2016, 11:51 PM

Spurs literally could not hide his defense since he was -9 tonight when he played. DG played amazing defense and somehow still was a net positive without scoring and having to guard Durant/Westbrook :wow

baseline bum
03-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Green was +13 tonight, second only to West's +14.

DPG21920
03-12-2016, 11:53 PM
I don't know. Usually Pop's rotations have nothing to do with match-ups. And he never starts firming up playoff rotations at this point in the season. So I can't think of any reason for it.

He was trying to win :lol.

SAGirl
03-12-2016, 11:57 PM

Bc even when those guys don't score they make a lot of hustle plays that keeps us in games if we are having a bad shooting night.

Patty was going after loose balls bc the forwards were boxing out a pretty aggressive O rebounding team, Manu was taking charges, Anderson came up with loose balls, helped on D, boxed out, grabbed a couple of boards that did not fall in his lap. Danny was taking on Durant for long stretches to give Kawhi a breather. Even Manu was on Durant. You cannot spare any of those guys for Kmart.

A few minutes Pop tried it at the expense of Anderson and he was awful. Failed to go after boards, we lost our lead bc while our guys were cold on one end they did not get stops on the other bc they didn't get defensive rebounds. Kmart was nearby but didn't go for them. Despite his 3 he was a -10 or something like that.

He will have to put in more effort. I agree though, that if he's an offensive weapon whose only real value on the court is scoring, Pop is probably going to have to call plays for him to get the most out if him. He will have to improve defensively though.

ElNono
03-12-2016, 11:59 PM
Also, Manu was one of our best defenders tonight, even guarding KD at times and making him pass out the ball... if that's "very little resistance", I don't know what game were you watching...

Mnky
03-13-2016, 12:02 AM
uh? Simmons has only played PG when Manu was out or in garbage time in the past month or two. Pop is a guy that tries not to disrupt lineups, especially this late in the season. He obviously thinks KMart can play, and he can use it against specific teams, when resting guys, on specific plays, or when looking for more offense. But he starts off behind Mills/Manu/TP and probably fathead in the rotation, that's not changing now. It would've been a different story if he was with the team from the start of the season, but wer're here now.

Where does he play exactly, in your scenario? I don't see the confusion. We both know he will play, what's up to question is where.

You think he's playing another spot then the ones I mentioned?

Mnky
03-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Also, Manu was one of our best defenders tonight, even guarding KD at times and making him pass out the ball... if that's "very little resistance", I don't know what game were you watching...

Manu has great effort. It resulted in Durant making plays for his team. Not sure what you were watching TBH . Westbrook and Durant took over the second.

Martin wasn't on either..

ElNono
03-13-2016, 12:07 AM
Where does he play exactly, in your scenario? I don't see the confusion. We both know he will play, what's up to question is where.

You think he's playing another spot then the ones I mentioned?

1) In place of Green if we don't need the D and Danny can't hit (somewhat what Pop tried today, but we needed the D)
2) In place of Anderson if the other team is running midget ball or fast-paced small ball
3) In place of Manu if Manu is rested (ie: back to back)
4) In place of Danny/Manu/Patty if they're in foul trouble (which might've gone to Simms previously)
5) In a set play out of a timeout if we need a 3

He's vet insurance, basically. This late in the season, that's going to be his role. It can be important.

ElNono
03-13-2016, 12:09 AM
Manu has great effort. It resulted in Durant making plays for his team. Not sure what you were watching TBH . Westbrook and Durant took over the second.

Martin wasn't on either..

Manu also drew a couple of charges and had a team high 3 steals alongside Kawhi... really an amazing defensive night for him at 38 y/o...

Martin gave absolutely little resistance. When your perimeter D is weak, you get penetration at will. He has to be hidden on defense, that's not really new. The Spurs can do that against select teams.

Mnky
03-13-2016, 12:13 AM
1) In place of Green if we don't need the D and Danny can't hit (somewhat what Pop tried today, but we needed the D)
2) In place of Anderson if the other team is running midget ball or fast-paced small ball
3) In place of Manu if Manu is rested (ie: back to back)
4) In place of Danny/Manu/Patty if they're in foul trouble (which might've gone to Simms previously)
5) In a set play out of a timeout if we need a 3

He's vet insurance, basically. This late in the season, that's going to be his role. It can be important.

I don't see anyone displacing greens minutes. He will get the majority for his defense and hussle.

He will be a second unit sg in place of manu or mills if he plays, we agree. The only difference was you dont include Tony's minutes.

Both those guys had a bad TO Rate and got scored on regularly, but couldn't make a shot. My argument was, In these instances where these guys are a net negative, how does inserting someone better offensively hurt?

Mnky
03-13-2016, 12:14 AM
Manu also drew a couple of charges and had a team high 3 steals alongside Kawhi... really an amazing defensive night for him at 38 y/o...

Martin gave absolutely little resistance. When your perimeter D is weak, you get penetration at will. He has to be hidden on defense, that's not really new. The Spurs can do that against select teams.

Those charges were big time. No doubt.

ElNono
03-13-2016, 12:20 AM
I don't see anyone displacing greens minutes. He will get the majority for his defense and hussle.

He will be a second unit sg in place of manu or mills if he plays, we agree. The only difference was you dont include Tony's minutes.

Both those guys had a bad TO Rate and got scored on regularly, but couldn't make a shot. My argument was, In these instances where these guys are a net negative, how does inserting someone better offensively hurt?

He won't be taking rotation minutes from any of those guys. He'll play spot minutes, depending on matchups. IMO anyways

DMC
03-13-2016, 12:20 AM
Pop going to his playoff lineups as it stands. He wasn't concerned as much with winning or losing, but seeing how tough the team could play in a physical game. Pop was pleased even down 8 or so. Pop is playing the long game, as always. Martin and Miller will get minutes when they are needed, but right now they don't know the system at all so Pop doesn't want to give them a bad home court showing in front of the fans, it's unfair and not conducive to having them ready for the playoffs.

Mnky
03-13-2016, 12:22 AM
He won't be taking rotation minutes from any of those guys. He'll play spot minutes, depending on matchups. IMO anyways

I understand that stance, especially with pop. I think that defeats the point of letting go of Butler tho who was perfect for spot minutes and knew the system already.

DMC
03-13-2016, 12:23 AM

If you don't play defense, you're not going to get minutes. Pop tells everyone this. Kevin is no exception. The common thought on LMA was he couldn't defend but we now know better. Players can do more than they've done if they get the right people around them.

ElNono
03-13-2016, 12:27 AM
I understand that stance, especially with pop. I think that defeats the point of letting go of Butler tho who was perfect for spot minutes and knew the system already.

They're different players with different strengths. I believe Pop was happy with the amount of defense we have, and rather have a more offensive guy for insurance.

hsxvvd
03-13-2016, 12:31 AM
Green still has respect and earns attention, he hit the one that counted most when Westbrook cheated off him. I'd rather have a cold Green missing shots that Martin going off script.

Keepin' it real
03-13-2016, 01:09 AM
Why no Kevin Martin?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/42/e3/ca/42e3ca06107bf6bd270ab36fe9c442db.jpg

PopTheGOAT
03-13-2016, 02:38 AM
Green was +13 tonight, second only to West's +14.
Eh, numbers lie tbh. That's why they changed the name of the show :lol I think they accurately reflect the game in this case (not making a case for Martin over Green), but this stat is BS pretty often.

gilmor
03-13-2016, 03:07 AM
Green plays amazing deffense on westbrook..

SAGirl
03-13-2016, 03:10 AM
Eh, numbers lie tbh. That's why they changed the name of the show :lol I think they accurately reflect the game in this case (not making a case for Martin over Green), but this stat is BS pretty often.
If you switched them on time allotment and give all of greens minutes to Martin there is simply no way we win this game.

PopTheGOAT
03-13-2016, 03:12 AM
If you switched them on time allotment and give all of greens minutes to Martin there is simply no way we win this game.
Please read my post again

Kawhitstorm
03-13-2016, 03:12 AM
Green plays amazing deffense on westbrook..

Danny was checking KD & Kawhi was guarding WestBrick. (Danny has trouble w/ WestBrick's athleticism)

SAGirl
03-13-2016, 03:19 AM
Please read my post again
Roger that :tu :lol

PopTheGOAT
03-13-2016, 03:23 AM
Roger that :tu :lol
:lol

jermaine
03-13-2016, 04:21 AM
I was actually happy Pop stayed with Green instead of coming back with Ginobili. Martin, I really just wanna see play... But I think Ginobili would've turned the ball over to many times tryna make something happen. Pop coached a great game... I was wrong.

tholdren
03-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Terrible take. Terrible

Mel_13
03-13-2016, 10:41 AM

True. When Westbrook and Durant are both in the game, Kawhi and Danny have to be defending them.

tholdren
03-13-2016, 01:30 PM
True. When Westbrook and Durant are both in the game, Kawhi and Danny have to be defending them.

They don't and that was proven when patty defended durant

BOHOLANO#21
03-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Kawhi, LMA, Green,West and Mills line up sustained the comeback in the 4th quarter...I'm glad Popovich never bothered to sub Parker back in till the last minute.

Darius McCrary
03-13-2016, 07:39 PM
I was actually happy Pop stayed with Green instead of coming back with Ginobili. Martin, I really just wanna see play... But I think Ginobili would've turned the ball over to many times tryna make something happen. Pop coached a great game... I was wrong.

Hey yo jermaine, what you think about EDP445 isn't he the shit?

jermaine
03-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Hey yo jermaine, what you think about EDP445 isn't he the shit?

Who da fucc is he. .. Idk that nicca!

Darius McCrary
03-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Who da fucc is he. .. Idk that nicca!
This him, yo
Z5-U-1TWj2U

Emperor
03-13-2016, 08:53 PM
This him, yo
Z5-U-1TWj2U

This guy had the exact same reaction to that game as i did.

jermaine
03-13-2016, 10:41 PM
That fat nicca sounds upset. Didn't he go on a rant about the Eagles too?? But to answer your question how do I feel about him. That fat nicca is the black version of Angry Grandpa! Lmmfao

spurtech09
03-13-2016, 10:45 PM
he was awful in the 1st half defensively...but can hit the open 3.......

ElNono
03-13-2016, 11:11 PM
but can hit the open 3.......

there will be certain teams where that will be useful... not that game though, especially when everyone else no named LMA was already struggling and defense was the only thing keeping us close

HarlemHeat37
03-14-2016, 01:04 AM
Despite the rough outing, Green called San Antonio's current stretch against tough competition "the best time of year" and said "these are the best tests we can have to prepare us for the playoffs. I was joking with Kevin Martin earlier. He thought he was going to come in and get some warm-up games. But this is probably the toughest part of the schedule for us, and he was thrown in the fire. So good luck."

Popovich mentioned that at this point in the season, he's trying to find the players the club can trust in crunch time.

"That's every year, but he always has his group of guys that he can trust," Green said. "But there are some guys that can emerge and build some trust with him, and he can throw in there, like a guy like Kevin Martin or Andre Miller that have some experience and might be able to give us a lift or a boost in the fourth quarter."

AlexJones
03-14-2016, 01:08 AM
Despite the rough outing, Green called San Antonio's current stretch against tough competition "the best time of year" and said "these are the best tests we can have to prepare us for the playoffs. I was joking with Kevin Martin earlier. I told him he is Steph Curry shooting the ball 50 times a night