PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green doesnt let his bad shooting affect the rest of his play

skulls138
03-12-2016, 11:48 PM
We need his D first and foremost and has been giving us that. Hes also been passing the ball well.

TheGreatYacht
03-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Just not against Monta Ellis

SpurPadre
03-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Yeah, gritty game for Danny, making key stops and had the presence of mind to pass up shots in the fourth to find the hotter shooter, which showed offensive awareness when it mattered.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2016, 02:00 AM
I'm probably one of the 3 biggest DG defenders on ST, and he did have a really good all-around game vs. OKC, but this team won't survive if he continues to shoot poorly..

It's 2016 and it's a perimeter-oriented league, you can't have offensive liabilities on the court for extended playing time..he was the 2nd or 3rd most important player on the team, last year, due to his 2-way ability..I don't know what the fuck happened to his shot, I used to think it was automatic whenever he was open, now I never expect him to make it, but this team isn't beating the Warriors if he doesn't get it together, tbh..

GSH
03-13-2016, 02:05 AM
The best of the past Spurs teams had a way of holding the other team scoreless for extended periods, when they really needed it. The game would be close, and all of a sudden the Spurs would have a 7-8 point lead, because of all the stops. This Spurs team is doing that same thing. And when they do, the defense is usually punctuated by a couple of big plays by Danny.

I wish he as knocking down 3's. At least the wide-open ones. But saying he's a liability is a stretch. Who knows? Maybe this year he'll shoot the 3 badly in the regular season, and then rain them as the Spurs get deeper into the playoffs.

Thomas82
03-13-2016, 02:10 AM
He did finally make one when it counted though.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2016, 02:14 AM
The best of the past Spurs teams had a way of holding the other team scoreless for extended periods, when they really needed it. The game would be close, and all of a sudden the Spurs would have a 7-8 point lead, because of all the stops. This Spurs team is doing that same thing. And when they do, the defense is usually punctuated by a couple of big plays by Danny.

I wish he as knocking down 3's. At least the wide-open ones. But saying he's a liability is a stretch. Who knows? Maybe this year he'll shoot the 3 badly in the regular season, and then rain them as the Spurs get deeper into the playoffs.

Opposing teams still respect him(his only make tonight was when Westbrook disrespected him by cheating off) and he still spaces the floor, but he's been an offensive liability, overall..

As for your last point, it's still very possible that he could turn it on, he's a 40+% career playoff 3-point shooter, and there's precedent for shooters struggling during the season then turning it on for the playoffs..off the top of my head, Trevor Ariza shot a shitty 31% in the 2009 RS, yet shot a ridiculous 47% from 3 during the playoffs for LA's title team..

FlAVaK
03-13-2016, 02:15 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdaKeARVIAAq4Nf.jpg

Kawhitstorm
03-13-2016, 02:17 AM

Pop made the adjustment & put Kawhi on WestBrick.

100%duncan
03-13-2016, 02:18 AM
I'm probably one of the 3 biggest DG defenders on ST, and he did have a really good all-around game vs. OKC, but this team won't survive if he continues to shoot poorly..

It's 2016 and it's a perimeter-oriented league, you can't have offensive liabilities on the court for extended playing time..he was the 2nd or 3rd most important player on the team, last year, due to his 2-way ability..I don't know what the fuck happened to his shot, I used to think it was automatic whenever he was open, now I never expect him to make it, but this team isn't beating the Warriors if he doesn't get it together, tbh..

Seems that he's not shooting the same way, technique-wise. I dont know something looks off when you look at him shoot. It's like its always rushed

PopTheGOAT
03-13-2016, 02:26 AM
He did finally make one when it counted though.
Verde is pissing me tf off, but I'll give him this. Still makes plays on D too.

With that being said, when you shoot THAT BAD, it makes you forget about all the good things he does.

Kawhitstorm
03-13-2016, 02:26 AM
the top of my head, Trevor Ariza shot a shitty 31% in the 2009 RS, yet shot a ridiculous 47% from 3 during the playoffs for LA's title team..

Ariza was a shitty 3 point shooter who just got hot in the playoffs.:lol Stephen Jackson in 2012 or Patty from last season is a better comparison.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-13-2016, 02:31 AM
Ariza was a shitty 3 point shooter who just got hot in the playoffs.:lol Stephen Jackson in 2012 or Patty from last season is a better comparison.

Horry

Kawhitstorm
03-13-2016, 02:36 AM
Horry

2005 Horry shot a respectable 37% for a stretch 4.:wakeup

spursistan
03-13-2016, 02:53 AM

Dude messed up with his shootings mechanics during the summer.. i refuse to believe this is a random slump..

SAGirl
03-13-2016, 03:19 AM
Frankly I hope Danny goes bombastic from 3 against GSW. He's due to raise that shooting %

TheGreatYacht
03-13-2016, 03:52 AM

Dude messed up with his shootings mechanics during the summer.. i refuse to believe this is a random slump..
Pop told him to work on his dribbling all summer, tbh.. Pop tried to go mad scientist and tried to force the issue by making him leave his comfort zone.

Chip needs to get his magic started, asap. Danny Green 3's and Tony Parker free throws, lock them up in the gym all night.

midnightpulp
03-13-2016, 03:54 AM
Green needs to work with Chip in the off-season. His setup and release is suspect.

SouthernFried
03-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Green needs to work with Chip in the off-season. His setup and release is suspect.

This...X 100.

Danny's form is terrible. He's gotten away with it in the past cuz it went in. But, bad form can come back and bite you in the butt. Chip and him should be shooting a hundred 3 pointers a day. He's getting paid enough to put in the extra time, even during the season. Who knows, maybe he's doing that already...hope so.

HarlemHeat37
03-14-2016, 01:06 AM
Pop's going to keep riding with him, regardless, tbh..

"He's a pro, and we made it clear to him there's only two outcomes: it goes in, or it doesn't," Popovich said. "But he still gets his paycheck, [and] his family still loves him, so screw it -- let ‘em fly. And he did."

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-14-2016, 07:43 AM

Its called fatigue. Green was shooting in the high 40% for February. He was expending all this energy guarding WB and Durant. The fact that he had the highest +/- DESPITE his dismal shooting shows his D was a big factor in this game and it was.

DMC
03-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Green needs to move to the corner where the shot is shorter. His spot, his shot, that kind of thing.

kaji157
03-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Green needs to move to the corner where the shot is shorter. His spot, his shot, that kind of thing.

I agree, he should go back to his first year spots, where he wasn´t allow to shoot from anywhere but rather from certain spots where he knew he was going to get the ball, and most important, when.

As of now Danny shooting is horrible, and he is taking them from anywhere in the court and in any occasion, those mistakes need to be reduced, and we have the kind of sets that allow that to happen. I just hope that if it works Tony doesn´t start calling other teams for leaving him open...

100%duncan
03-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Pop's going to keep riding with him, regardless, tbh..

It's not like there is another choice.

DMC
03-14-2016, 10:06 AM
I agree, he should go back to his first year spots, where he wasn´t allow to shoot from anywhere but rather from certain spots where he knew he was going to get the ball, and most important, when.

As of now Danny shooting is horrible, and he is taking them from anywhere in the court and in any occasion, those mistakes need to be reduced, and we have the kind of sets that allow that to happen. I just hope that if it works Tony doesn´t start calling other teams for leaving him open...

If you really think Miami adjusted because Tony said that, you're naive. The reason you want great 3pt shooting is so you can spread the defense. If your guy is getting wide open looks and knocking them down, eventually the other team is going to adjust to him. That's what Tony wanted so the inside game could develop (the Tony game basically). Miami knew what Danny was doing. They didn't adjust because of what Tony said. Any coach who needed to be told Danny was raping him wouldn't be around the following season.

Chinook
03-14-2016, 10:08 AM
If you really think Miami adjusted because Tony said that, you're naive. The reason you want great 3pt shooting is so you can spread the defense. If your guy is getting wide open looks and knocking them down, eventually the other team is going to adjust to him. That's what Tony wanted so the inside game could develop (the Tony game basically). Miami knew what Danny was doing. They didn't adjust because of what Tony said. Any coach who needed to be told Danny was raping him wouldn't be around the following season.

I still maintain that Green started missing once they told him he set the record. He seems very resistant to knowing how good he is, which is a reason why Pop doesn't acknowledge it very often.

Knoxxx
03-14-2016, 10:10 AM

And Ellis makes same money we are paying DG. :bang

DMC
03-14-2016, 10:20 AM
I still maintain that Green started missing once they told him he set the record. He seems very resistant to knowing how good he is, which is a reason why Pop doesn't acknowledge it very often.

Green does ok until he gets in a hurry. He has several small steps he goes through to shoot, and when he rushes that, like in transition or when someone is closing out on him, he skips or rushes one and he's not in the right form or mental frame, so he misses the shot. The fact that he cannot shoot short range jumpers worth a shit should tell you he's heavily reliant upon a very specific programmed muscle memory and doesn't adjust well to any changes.

DMC
03-14-2016, 10:20 AM
And Ellis makes same money we are paying DG. :bang
Monta Ellis can't defend worth shit and he's a team cancer imo.

spursistan
03-14-2016, 02:00 PM
my problem with Green is he is missing way too many wide open 3s this season..I don't care if he bricks on contensted/semi-contested ones, but those off transtion/ off penetration triples when he gets a couple of seconds to set up and launch only to come up short (literally) are really frustrating.

Harry Callahan
03-14-2016, 02:55 PM
They have 17 games to work on things.

I love that Danny was put on Durant for so much of the game Saturday. I thought he played very well on D. If he can get hot on 3s for a stretch in the playoffs to go with that, things could work out well.....

wildbill2u
03-14-2016, 07:59 PM
We need his D first and foremost and has been giving us that. Hes also been passing the ball well.

In another thread about Green I pointed out that along with his shot, his defense had been bad, mainly because he wasn't putting in the effort, especially when other guards would wipe him off their pick man and skate down the lane. Dang if he didn't start putting in a lot more effort on defense,sliding his feet and trying to bust up the P&R and generally playing hard.

Now I think he's listening to either Spurs Talk (or Pop) :lol so keep encouraging him ST. We need this guy down the stretch, doing his thing with the 3s.

Go Danny Go

BillMc
03-14-2016, 08:04 PM
I keep waiting for the Law of Big Numbers to balance everything out with Danny going on a roll. Playoffs would be a good time for an extended hot streak. :lol

dabom
03-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I keep waiting for the Law of Big Numbers to balance everything out with Danny going on a roll. Playoffs would be a good time for an extended hot streak. :lol

He is having an amazingly bad shooting year. That just means he is going to be on FIRE for the playoffs. :lol

spursistan
03-14-2016, 08:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpNT7h8Al0

Green shooting motion and rim finishes looked far less clunky, to not say smoother, last season..

BillMc
03-14-2016, 08:22 PM
He is having an amazingly bad shooting year. That just means he is going to be on FIRE for the playoffs. :lol

:toastLet us hope that the first 5 games of the 2013 Finals weren't the complete outlier AND THIS playoffs isn't the return to the mean. :lol

Mikeanaro
03-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Danny keeps cashing the checks, sure he made some crucial D plays against OKC but come on he sucks, been sucking for more than a year.

Kawhitstorm
03-14-2016, 09:10 PM
my problem with Green is he is missing way too many wide open 3s this season..I don't care if he bricks on contensted/semi-contested ones, but those off transtion/ off penetration triples when he gets a couple of seconds to set up and launch only to come up short (literally) are really frustrating.

He has turned into 2013-14 Thabo.:depressed

skulls138
03-14-2016, 09:40 PM
In another thread about Green I pointed out that along with his shot, his defense had been bad, mainly because he wasn't putting in the effort, especially when other guards would wipe him off their pick man and skate down the lane. Dang if he didn't start putting in a lot more effort on defense,sliding his feet and trying to bust up the P&R and generally playing hard.

Now I think he's listening to either Spurs Talk (or Pop) :lol so keep encouraging him ST. We need this guy down the stretch, doing his thing with the 3s.

Go Danny GoItd be great to see him get his 3 back but as far as these eyes are concerned, it is a rare feat to not let the rest of your game suffer if your offense isnt working...so props.

tmtcsc
03-14-2016, 10:53 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/CXAPW8vCQzYkg/giphy.gif

tmtcsc
03-14-2016, 10:58 PM
:toastLet us hope that the first 5 games of the 2013 Finals weren't the complete outlier AND THIS playoffs isn't the return to the mean. :lol

I sincerely hope so but I'm already hoping someone else makes up for his lack of juice. He's resorted back to being D-League Danny on offense but his D was solid against Durant. He also made some extra effort plays which was nice to see.

davemaniscool
03-14-2016, 11:52 PM
As someone suggested earlier Danny needs to work on his form and needs to work on being a more versatile player. I remember during the Spurs championship run when he was run off the three he would drive and shoot.

He makes too much money just to be a spot up three shooter and a better than average defensive player.

spurtech09
03-15-2016, 01:20 AM

Dude messed up with his shootings mechanics during the summer.. i refuse to believe this is a random slump..Fix it......

spurtech09
03-15-2016, 01:25 AM

Green shooting motion and rim finishes looked far less clunky, to not say smoother, last season..More energy in that video......this yr he seems slow and lazy...

AFMadison
03-15-2016, 03:34 AM

Green shooting motion and rim finishes looked far less clunky, to not say smoother, last season..
The difference I'm seeing is this year Danny Green looks like he jumps forward about 2 feet with each shot, not as much in this video, also in this he's not so straight towards the basket, his right foot is ahead of his left.

gambit1990
03-15-2016, 03:43 AM
is danny playing bad because he finally got paid? before he played loose, he had nothing to lose. now when he shoots a 3, it's almost like he clenches up before he releases. there is hesitation imo. i think he'll bounce back at some point... been hoping for that most of the season though. i feel like he can't not play better in the playoffs...

HarlemHeat37
03-16-2016, 12:17 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2016/03/16/1458103365032-green-postgame-3.15.16.mp4-364267

Let's hope he's not just bullshitting, tbh:lol

DAF86
03-16-2016, 12:26 AM
If Danny is making the Spurs are really, really hard to beat.

PopTheGOAT
03-16-2016, 02:57 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2016/03/16/1458103365032-green-postgame-3.15.16.mp4-364267

Lol damn sounds promising but we'll see I guess. Hopefully it's not like a golf swing...you think you fixed it one day, then you go back the next day...

UNT Eagles 2016
03-16-2016, 05:24 AM
If Danny is making the Spurs are really, really hard to beat.
Still, Green doesn't have Martin's capability of going 1 on 3 in transition and slicing through the defenders like they're butter and scoring with such ease.

Chinook
03-16-2016, 06:22 AM
Still, Green doesn't have Martin's capability of going 1 on 3 in transition and slicing through the defenders like they're butter and scoring with such ease.

I'll take his ability to stop a 1-on-3 fastbreak over Martin's ability to score on one.

Old School 44
03-16-2016, 07:43 AM

Nice interview. Funny, that he wouldn't say what the adjustment was. Nobody asked, but I also wonder who pointed it out. If it was Chip, great. If it was Kevin Martin, should we worry? :lol

I still believe if Danny shoots the 3 ball at a decent clip, the Spurs wins turn to blowouts. I don't believe the Spurs can't win without Danny's shot. It will just be tougher. The thing about Danny that won't change regardless, is he's done enough in the playoffs that he comes with a reputation. Defenses need to account for him.