PDA

View Full Version : Boys in the Hood - movie review!

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Great movie still...7.5/10 maybe 8.

I wonder though how it would play to a youngster today that wasn't around in the 90's. Probably loses something.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Pill ain't gonna keep your dick from falling off!

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Get your punk ass brother bitch. I'll get my daddy, at least I got one motherfucker.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm still trying to find out, NIG-GA.

baseline bum
Oh we got a problem here? We got a problem here?

baseline bum
Shut up bitch.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:16 PM
You're watching this now?

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:17 PM
You look like one of those Crenshaw Mafia motherfuckers. Nah, you're one of them Rolling 60s.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care what's going on in the hood right now.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Dough, let me out. Let me out.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Tre, give me the motherfucking gun!

baseline bum
Five dollars? Man, that ain't shit. I can make more than that doing nothing.

baseline bum
I gotta clean that tub?

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:21 PM
I'd have to look it up but the bbq lines are funny as shit.

Bitches got to eat too.

And something like,

Y'all act like y'all ain't never been to a bbq.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Motherfuckers throwing cookies out the cookie shop, I was smoking every motherfucker that came in.

baseline bum
Better take your ass to the store with that.

SpursforSix
Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care what's going on in the hood right now.

Ice steals every scene. Cuba Gooding is the weakest part of the whole movie.

baseline bum
Who you calling wannabe mac daddy?

You, no pussy getting motherfucker.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Still ain't fucked her yet.

benefactor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3acdQLTliA

baseline bum
But Catholic girls supposed to be one of the biggest hoochies.

SpursforSix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3acdQLTliA

Damn....that's it. I knew it didn't sound right

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Nah, but can you really get that shit from letting them suck your dick?

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:26 PM
I ain't from Africa, you from Africa, you African booty scratcher.

baseline bum
Like it or not, you from Africa.

baseline bum
The penguins.

baseline bum
I'll tell you if you let me talk, shoot.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Say hello to my leetle friend.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 07:28 PM
As far as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:31 PM
You talkin to me? You talkin to me?

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Snoochie boochies.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Damn...I just now caught the irony of Ricky watching the US Army commercial.

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Holds up pretty well today, too, surprisingly..

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Tre, give me the motherfucking gun!

It's, "give me the mother fucking gun Tre".

Thread
03-13-2016, 08:04 PM
1. The suddenness of the car rolling up on Gooding & the shotgun being leveled. It's so violent though it does not go off. Life is cheap there.

2. The beauty & clarity of "Ricky" VS the squalor & complexity of his "brother."

3. The plastic couch covers.

Thread
03-13-2016, 08:10 PM
4. The mother WANTS to be a (good mother), but, doesn't know how, doesn't have the first inkling & is a monumental failure even before her sons are slaughtered.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 08:22 PM
4. The mother WANTS to be a (good mother), but, doesn't know how, doesn't have the first inkling & is a monumental failure even before her sons are slaughtered.

Wrong. You can't know this. She's certainly a failure in the end but Dough was a bad kid from the start from what we've seen. It's natural for a parent to make assumptions based on how the kids have progressed. Somehow she got one to the cusp of college. A single mom in that environment? One out of two is a success. Not to mention that Dough has a heart in there somewhere. You can't pin anything on the mom but doing a good job with the cards she was dealt.

Thread
03-13-2016, 10:18 PM
Wrong. You can't know this. She's certainly a failure in the end but Dough was a bad kid from the start from what we've seen. It's natural for a parent to make assumptions based on how the kids have progressed. Somehow she got one to the cusp of college. A single mom in that environment? One out of two is a success. Not to mention that Dough has a heart in there somewhere. You can't pin anything on the mom but doing a good job with the cards she was dealt.

But, how did she get to that station? Divorce, abandonment,,,she chose recklessly, she dealt her own hand. She pits one son against the other which destructs this family even as it's existing on the edge of ruination. True, Dough's heart is evident, but, it's broken,,,by his mother, their interactions are some of the most incredible of this film. He's crying out to her, she hears him, and repudiates him with vengeance. She is Ricky's wife 20 years ago... nothing has changed ff 20 years.

He's on the cusp of college because he can play basketball. She bred a basketball player, a child father who is still her beautiful child. He is not a success.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 10:20 PM
But, how did she get to that station? Divorce, abandonment,,,she chose recklessly, she dealt her own hand. She pits one son against the other which destructs this family even as it's existing on the edge of ruination. True, Dough's heart is evident, but, it's broken,,,by his mother, their interactions are some of the most incredible of this film. He's crying out to her, she hears him, and repudiates him with vengeance. She is Ricky's wife 20 years ago... nothing has changed ff 20 years.

He's on the cusp of college because he can play basketball. She bred a basketball player, a child father who is still her beautiful child. He is not a success.

Did you watch the fucking movie? The fact you think he played basketball tells me you were not even paying attention or you've gone senile.

Thread
03-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Did you watch the fucking movie? The fact you think he played basketball tells me you were not even paying attention or you've gone senile.

Yes, I did. You're right, football. Inconsequential.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Yes, I did. You're right, football. Inconsequential.

Not inconsequential if it proves you weren't paying attention or can't remember the movie.

Thread
03-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Not inconsequential if it proves you weren't paying attention or can't remember the movie.

BS. Football/basketball. It doesn't make a difference to my point. Christ, don't start this shit. I implore you. We were having a fine conversation.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 10:57 PM
BS. Football/basketball. It doesn't make a difference to my point. Christ, don't start this shit. I implore you. We were having a fine conversation.

Alright. My bad then. You're usually so accurate that it caused some questions on your attentiveness to the movie. I agree that it doesn't matter what he played.

Thread
03-13-2016, 11:05 PM
Alright. My bad then. You're usually so accurate that it caused some questions on your attentiveness to the movie. I agree that it doesn't matter what he played.

Thank you.

The mother character is the richest and most developed. I like her at the backyard party. She's just at her wit's end with the whole thing. She doesn't know where to turn. She's weary, too weary for her young age, and so weary she's incapable of stopping, always in motion, she's running away from it and to it. Watching her is a privilege in this film. She's a great actor and lays it all out for us. She is that mother, she went somewhere for & in this role that I cannot even fathom. Cuba goes too, but, not far enough to not come back. She went way, way out there.

SpursforSix
03-13-2016, 11:12 PM
Thank you.

The mother character is the richest and most developed. I like her at the backyard party. She's just at her wit's end with the whole thing. She doesn't know where to turn. She's weary, too weary for her young age, and so weary she's incapable of stopping, always in motion, she's running away from it and to it. Watching her is a privilege in this film. She's a great actor and lays it all out for us. She is that mother, she went somewhere for & in this role that I cannot even fathom. Cuba goes too, but, not far enough to not come back. She went way, way out there.

Not sure if I'm following. Are you talking about Cuba's performance? Or his character? Yes, the mom is perfect. But Cube puts in the most genuine work here. But maybe wasn't a stretch for him like the mom who is probably out of her element.

Thread
03-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Not sure if I'm following. Are you talking about Cuba's performance? Or his character? Yes, the mom is perfect. But Cube puts in the most genuine work here. But maybe wasn't a stretch for him like the mom who is probably out of her element.

His performance in that character. Fishburne is just cruising playing for the camera---same with Doughboy, taking it right off the script. Gooding and this woman are lost in their roles, in this film. They went into the role, deep in it, they became these characters, yes, for the paycheck, but, also so when they're gone their something left of their time on this earth. That's brave. Sure, you're confidant you're gonna be back when the lights are turned off and film is finished, but, a lot of actors won't go there, can't go there. They went, both of 'em. Gooding has to capture with just his facial expressions throughout and does it. It's easier for her because she can use all her talent, physical and mental, spoken and silent. It's always difficult to behold her anguish in that backyard scene. I know it's coming, I want to change the channel, but, one cannot, and one should not. She did that for us.

baseline bum
03-14-2016, 12:31 AM

I like when she tells young Doughboy he's never gonna be shit, just like his father. And that all he does is eat, sleep, and shit. And then she asks who is that little fucker on the porch.

baseline bum
03-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Don't be cussing so motherfucking loud. My moms don't like that shit.

baseline bum
03-14-2016, 12:36 AM
Hey little man... catch.

Silver&Black
03-14-2016, 01:57 AM
I ain't from Africa, you from Africa, you African booty scratcher.

Still use this one to this very day...