PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Draft Day Scouting Report

Supreme_Being
03-14-2016, 08:24 AM
(Scout:Kevin Lachance)
Duncan is the best player available in the draft and a lock to be the
first overall pick. He has the ability to become a NBA superstar.

Scouts have mixed opinions on Duncan's NBA position. He may be a more
dominant player early on in his career at power forward but has the
tools to be a dominant center. His position will depend on the team
that selects him.

In terms of comparisions I have heard David Robinson and Brad Daughtery.
I feel Hakeem Olajuwon is a closer comparison because of his mobility
and size.

In terms of physical skills Duncan has great mobility. He is capable of
consistantly beating his man down the court. He has long arms and
excellent timing for blocking shots. His footwork on post moves is
constantly improving.

continue reading... (http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1997_draft/scout/c.html)

horsielove
03-14-2016, 08:34 AM
Pretty amazing how he was projected to have a ceiling in Hakeem but ended up being greater than him. :toast

Old School 44
03-14-2016, 08:45 AM
I wonder who the second scout was talking about? Not sure how you can be the unanimous #1 pick, the best in the last 10 years, and not be the most talented.

Tim Duncan is not the most talented player in this draft. However, he is the best player in it, and he will be a successful NBA player, both because of his style of play. For Duncan, it is simple: he plays. He plays hard every minute, with confidence and emotion, at both ends of the floor, and he plays to win. He has a winning attitude that will greatly help the team that drafts him, going beyond what he will do that shows up in the box score.

houston spurs fan
03-14-2016, 10:13 AM
A lot of people don't remember but before TD had the big knee blowout, holy shit what a beast coming out of Wake...

Blake
03-14-2016, 10:19 AM
I wonder who the second scout was talking about? Not sure how you can be the unanimous #1 pick, the best in the last 10 years, and not be the most talented.

Probably talking about pure physical abilities. Not like he was ever gonna be in the slam dunk contest

spursparker9
03-14-2016, 10:38 AM

T-Mac was more talented tbh

BillMc
03-14-2016, 11:12 AM
A lot of people don't remember but before TD had the big knee blowout, holy shit what a beast coming out of Wake...

Before the knee he was fast and athletic with post moves that would make Kevin McHale jealous. After the knee, he relied on length, brains and timing more, still to great effect (obviously) but his earlier game was "prettier" definitely.

Russo21
03-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Because he has played in 3 decades covering 2 milliennium people do tend to forget what he was capable of before blowing out his knee. He was fast and amazingly athletic for a 7 footer, ala Robinson and Garnett etc. He never had great 'hops' like those two but everything else he did was athletically amazing. Even after the knee surgery he quickly amassed more championships and MVP's to become the greatest of his generation.

Greatest of his generation is a hard thing to consider. He did play in the NBA with Michael Jordan for 3 seasons, MJ won 1 ring and 1 MVP, Duncan won 2 rings and 2 MVP's. Yes that was Jordan v3.0 but whatever, the old dumbass did decide to come back yet again. He also played against Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Dirk etc and his stats beat all of their's.

Duncan 5-1
Kobe 5-2
Shaq 4-3
LeBron in a shit conference already 2 wins and 4 finals losses (already as many finals appearances as Jordan)
Jordan 6-0
Dirk 1-1
Magic 5-2 I believe
Bird 3-2 I believe

Because he is selfless and only cares about winning his stats aren't that eye boggling. If he was having a kick ass game, the Spurs would generally be beating the shit out of the other team and he'd sit the 4th quarter resting his knees. Then he deferred to TP, Manu, Kawhi and LMA which have hurt his stats. But that man doesn't care about stats per game. He cares about Championship banners and even statistically seems to be climbing top 10 categories every other game he plays this year.

The man has been a beast for a very very long time, so long that people forget his insane athleticism, speed and dominance of the game. There was barely a possession in his first 10 years where he wasn't immediately doubled teamed with another 3rd and 4th defender keeping a close eye on him (98-07 were the best most consistent 10 years a player could ever have. Playing during 2 Mllenium, 3 decades and into his 40's people tend to forget prime Duncan. A rare force to be reckoned with. He was an absolute monster coming in to the league and he deserves massive credit for changing his game, somehow becoming even better than pre-injury Duncan, then looking after his body and his team in the quest for 5 and 6.

The David Robinson and Hakeem comparisons are now a slight to Duncan, he became better and more successful than both of them. And who knew that he'd end up chasing down Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and being relevant on a Championship potential squad for 20 freakin years into his 40s. Get number 6 this year Timmy as a 40 year old. LMA and Kawhi have your back. Then if your body feels ok come back and get 7 to firmly put yourself on the NBA'S Mt Rushmore. Mt. Rushmore only has 4 faces, you can be basketball's 5th... The all important Godfather over-looking the other 4 guys.

He was my hero when I was a dreamy teenage kid at school and Tim was winning chips all the way back then. Now I am 33 and own a business and Timmy is still around! What a legend, unparalleled, 19 years later I still idiolize you as much as I did when I was a kid at school. Back then i'd wear your jersey under my school uniform. Now in my office I have a magnificent signed and framed poster of you which will be on their forever. Your Bobblehead has been on my desk at work longer than I can remember. You are the greatest and an idol to this kid growing up and still an idol to the man that kid turned into. Thanks for the past 19 years and lets get 6 this year, then lets get it to 20 and get to 7. Then all arguments will be redundant who Is the greatest of them all. Timmy and the Spurs forever!

Part of me will cry and bleed the day you hang them up. You have been kicking ass all of my life (I can't remember shit before 1997 anyway) And not having you around one day will be like losing a part of the family. You've done me more than proud, let's hope there's a little tread left on those tyres and the wheels aren't ready to come off. Respect to the most respectable man in Sports. Love you Tim Duncan. The Spurs and the NBA will forever be in your debt. Unlike the Kobe farewell tour they probably won't know that they'll miss you until you're gone and that will be a sad sad day for the NBA. Let's get 6 for Big Fun!!

TampaDude
03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals. 'nuff said. :hat

nejQMtkyLgY

Damn, what a monster...easily the best basketball player in the world at that time.

TrainOfThought5
03-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Before the knee he was fast and athletic with post moves that would make Kevin McHale jealous. After the knee, he relied on length, brains and timing more, still to great effect (obviously) but his earlier game was "prettier" definitely.

Tim was absolutely MONSTROUS on both ends of the court. Athleticism was Anthony Davis lite, but with even better IQ and intangibles. We'd probably have 2-3 more rings if we had THAT Duncan for all these years.

weeks
03-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Greatest of All Time.

tmtcsc
03-14-2016, 07:02 PM

What big knee blowout? The only thing he ever tore was a meniscus. Some players nowadays play through that type of injury but the Spurs wisely held him out the rest of the season. His physical decline is due to his age and thousands of minutes of playing basketball.

Obstructed_View
03-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Guys, when the fuck did Tim Duncan have this knee blowout you keep talking about? He partially tore his meniscus in 2000 and could have played in the playoffs but Pop decided to keep him out.

Obstructed_View
03-14-2016, 07:08 PM
What big knee blowout? The only thing he ever tore was a meniscus. Some players nowadays play through that type of injury but the Spurs wisely held him out the rest of the season. His physical decline is due to his age and thousands of minutes of playing basketball.

Lol you beat me by seconds.

Supreme_Being
03-15-2016, 12:31 AM
Other stuff in that site as well.

Here is Parker's scouting report:

Tony Parker
School: France Class: N/A
Height: 6'2" Weight: 172
Position: Point Guard Birthdate: 5/17/82
Strengths: Great Athlete • Very quick • Good passer • Combo Guard
Weaknesses: Needs to get stronger • Not ready for NBA
Draft Outlook: Possible second round pick

As a service to the Usenet Mock Draft, www.maurerscouting.com are providing player and positional rankings. To see their site, go to www.maurerscouting.com for full in-depth coverage!

Strengths:Lighting quick point guard who loves to push the ball up the court .... Has very good leadership skills can take a group of strangers and mold them into a team like he did in the 2000 Nike Hoop Summit .... Looks for open teammates when the defense clogs up the lane against his penetrations if nobody is open Parker can easily hit a 17-foot pull-up jumper .... Solid defender blessed with quick hands, and good foot quickness .... Has good ball handling skills protects the ball well and makes good desicions passing the ball .... Is a threat to steal the ball at any time due to his ability to read passing lanes ... Can spot up and hit the 3-point shot .... Sees the floor well due to his court vision and looks for open teammates ..... Good finisher can switch hands and protects the ball in penetrations ....Unselfish could average more points but chooses to set teammates ....

Weakness: Could be a post target for bigger NBA point guards ..... Strong players give him fits on defense due to his lack of upper body strength .... Even though he has 3-point range he doesn't hit it with consistency .... Could stand to add 5-10 pounds of weight on his thin frame ..... Has a tendency to rush himself offensively which can result in turnovers .... Lack of size hurts him as he has problems passing out of traps and double teams .... While he has played some good competition this pales in comparison to the talent he will face in the NBA .....

daslicer
03-15-2016, 01:26 AM

Agreed Russell Westbrook suffered the same injury as Duncan and still has freak athleticism.

Thomas82
03-15-2016, 02:06 AM
WOW!!!

dabom
03-15-2016, 02:13 AM

Tony Parker

As a service to the Usenet Mock Draft, www.maurerscouting.com (http://www.maurerscouting.com) are providing player and positional rankings. To see their site, go to www.maurerscouting.com (http://www.maurerscouting.com) for full in-depth coverage!

Strengths:Lighting quick point guard who loves to push the ball up the court .... Has very good leadership skills can take a group of strangers and mold them into a team like he did in the 2000 Nike Hoop Summit .... Looks for open teammates when the defense clogs up the lane against his penetrations if nobody is open Parker can easily hit a 17-foot pull-up jumper .... Solid defender blessed with quick hands, and good foot quickness .... Has good ball handling skills protects the ball well and makes good desicions passing the ball .... Is a threat to steal the ball at any time due to his ability to read passing lanes ... Can spot up and hit the 3-point shot .... Sees the floor well due to his court vision and looks for open teammates ..... Good finisher can switch hands and protects the ball in penetrations ....Unselfish could average more points but chooses to set teammates ....

Weakness: Could be a post target for bigger NBA point guards ..... Strong players give him fits on defense due to his lack of upper body strength .... Even though he has 3-point range he doesn't hit it with consistency .... Could stand to add 5-10 pounds of weight on his thin frame ..... Has a tendency to rush himself offensively which can result in turnovers .... Lack of size hurts him as he has problems passing out of traps and double teams .... While he has played some good competition this pales in comparison to the talent he will face in the NBA .....

:lol

YGWHI
03-15-2016, 05:34 PM
(Scout:Kevin Lachance)
Duncan is the best player available in the draft and a lock to be the
first overall pick. He has the ability to become a NBA superstar.

Scouts have mixed opinions on Duncan's NBA position. He may be a more
dominant player early on in his career at power forward but has the
tools to be a dominant center. His position will depend on the team
that selects him.

In terms of comparisions I have heard David Robinson and Brad Daughtery.
I feel Hakeem Olajuwon is a closer comparison because of his mobility
and size.

In terms of physical skills Duncan has great mobility. He is capable of
consistantly beating his man down the court. He has long arms and
excellent timing for blocking shots. His footwork on post moves is
constantly improving.

continue reading... (http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1997_draft/scout/c.html)

Thanks!!! :toast

Sean Cagney
03-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Yep, wonder what 02-03 Tim Duncan looks like during those MVP seasons if he never hurt the knee? He was already on another planet at the time and better than most players I have ever seen play the game, but if not for that injury? That would be scary GOOD.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-15-2016, 10:08 PM

nejQMtkyLgY

Damn, what a monster...easily the best basketball player in the world at that time.

Just ridiculous. Remember it like it was yesterday.

houston spurs fan
03-16-2016, 09:18 AM

nejQMtkyLgY

You know watching this video brings me back, how good was TD? Jesus, those were fun times to be aSpurs fan. Also, watching how good he was, it kind of feels like we are seeing it all over again with Kawhi. I know, long way to go but seen Tim's aggressiveness, determination back then and watching Kawhi now there's no doubt there is a lot of similarities there. So fucking good to be a Spurs fan. Even through all the dark years, Memphis, etc...so fucking good.

PopTheGOAT
03-16-2016, 11:52 AM

Tony Parker

As a service to the Usenet Mock Draft, www.maurerscouting.com (http://www.maurerscouting.com) are providing player and positional rankings. To see their site, go to www.maurerscouting.com (http://www.maurerscouting.com) for full in-depth coverage!

Rise of the Porker tbh :lol

Mr. Body
03-16-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm still kind of amazed Parker turned in a HoF career. Part was landing on an exceptional team, but he's been an exceptional player.

PopTheGOAT
03-16-2016, 12:06 PM
http://www.sigauctions.com/ItemImages/000001/10332_lg.jpeg
tbh.........

Kawhitstorm
03-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Guys, when the fuck did Tim Duncan have this knee blowout you keep talking about? He partially tore his meniscus in 2000 and could have played in the playoffs but Pop decided to keep him out.

Look what the same injury (torn meniscus) did to Chris Paul early in his mid 20s. Dude went from being a blur on the floor & an explosive athlete who used to get to the rim at will like John Wall to being a mid-range assassin.

Dh_7i4gHNNA

Wade/Brandon Roy also had their primes cut short b/c of a torn meniscus when it degenerated to bone-to-bone.

Kawhitstorm
03-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Tim was absolutely MONSTROUS on both ends of the court. Athleticism was Anthony Davis lite, but with even better IQ and intangibles. We'd probably have 2-3 more rings if we had THAT Duncan for all these years.

Anthony Davis is a freak athlete & very agile ala a young KG. Towns has the same build & athleticism as Tim at Wake.

turkish spurs fan
03-16-2016, 02:20 PM
if spurs get another championship this season, i think duncan will be bigger legend than M jordan.

Obstructed_View
03-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Look what the same injury (torn meniscus) did to Chris Paul early in his mid 20s. Dude went from being a blur on the floor & an explosive athlete who used to get to the rim at will like John Wall to being a mid-range assassin.

Dh_7i4gHNNA

Wade/Brandon Roy also had their primes cut short b/c of a torn meniscus when it degenerated to bone-to-bone.

Not the same injury. Chris Paul had a completely torn meniscus that was removed because the surgeons couldn't repair it. Brandon Roy had all the menisci removed from his knees over multiple injuries, the last part removed when he was 25, and he had to retire from basketball the following year. The difference between that injury and Duncan's is sort of like the difference between having a cut stitched up on your finger and having the finger amputated.

Kawhitstorm
03-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Not the same injury. Chris Paul had a completely torn meniscus that was removed because the surgeons couldn't repair it. Brandon Roy had all the menisci removed from his knees over multiple injuries, the last part removed when he was 25, and he had to retire from basketball the following year. The difference between that injury and Duncan's is sort of like the difference between having a cut stitched up on your finger and having the finger amputated.

Bruh, Tim is now bone-to-bone b/c he has no meniscus left in his left knee. A stitched/snipped meniscus is degenerative & Brandon Roy is the poster child.

Wade/Paul had their meniscus removed & were able to play at a high level b/c it was their left (non-dominant) knee ala Tim. Roy had to retire b/c it was BOTH knees.

TrainOfThought5
03-16-2016, 06:32 PM
if spurs get another championship this season, i think duncan will be bigger legend than M jordan.

He would have to perform REALLY well in the finals. If he can give us 2013 finals timmy, that would be crazy.

Thomas82
03-16-2016, 06:33 PM
He would have to perform REALLY well in the finals. If he can give us 2013 finals timmy, that would be crazy.

I wouldn't rule it out.

phxspurfan
03-16-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm still kind of amazed Parker turned in a HoF career. Part was landing on an exceptional team, but he's been an exceptional player.

same. I wanted Antonio Daniels and his statue of liberty dunk to play over TP.

100%duncan
03-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Greatest of His Time.

:worthy: