PDA

View Full Version : What's Eating Gilbert Grape - Movie Review

SpursforSix
03-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Never saw this the first time around. Just watched it.

Damn good cast and good story. 7/10.

You always hear that it's easy to play a handicapped person. But DiCaprio absolutely delivers. As good as Depp is, he's showed up in every scene. Whether it's with the proven actors or even the unknown sisters.

Thread
03-14-2016, 11:48 PM
I like the scene at the end where Steenburgen's husband goes mad.

Grim business.

RsxPiimp
03-15-2016, 01:08 AM
I like the scene at the end where Steenburgen's husband goes mad.

Thread
03-15-2016, 05:45 AM
& the obese mother. Her battles with the county have withered local law enforcement. So much has gone before this film's timeline takes place. We don't have to have a 7 hour film to set it down. We see it all on the face of the characters here in the two hours allotted. It's settles into full knowledge bitterness on both sides which steers at least this viewer to resentment for the woman. She holds a silence that irritates. And there is an innate youthfulness in this woman yet. Amazing.

The film is uncomfortable, it's off kilter from it's title to the depiction of small town squalor with Steenburgen looking like Madison Avenue set down smack in the middle of it.

& you always want more from Depp, something he's hiding, won't give us, won't let go of so we can at least glimpse it, if not have it. He will not do it.

bigzak25
03-15-2016, 06:57 AM
All I know is I'm not eating Gilbert grape...cuz I don't give a $!#$ about this movie...