PDA

View Full Version : CBS SportsLine.com | Positional Rankings: Centers

THE X-FACTOR
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Positional Rankings: Centers (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/8895427)
By Tony Mejia / CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

In our positional rankings, you can debate the top player in four of five slots. Here's your lone exception.

Still the baddest man on the planet, the center of attention remains Shaquille O'Neal. As helpless opposing coaches will tell you, there are no answers for him, and he remains the one player in the league who you can stick on any team and be assured 50 wins and a run at a championship.

For years, since past greats Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing hung up their sneaks, we've been searching for a clear-cut No. 2, a Russell to the Diesel's Wilt. Yao Ming was the obvious choice, but he's still maturing and needs to develop a killer instinct some feel lies beyond his reach.

Perhaps he can borrow some from Amare Stoudemire, the most exciting young big man to burst on the scene since O'Neal himself. Although he's just 6-10 and won't be 23 until the season begins, Stoudemire plays with an unheard of ferocity that makes up for his lack of size and experience. He's a freakish monster with the temperament to match, which will no doubt make him one of the great ones.

Entering his third season, he still has dues to pay, but if he picks up where he left off, there's a possibility the owner of the top spot of these rankings won't be as clear-cut in the future.

1. Shaquille O'Neal, Miami: Now 33, O'Neal signed a five-year extension that almost certainly guarantees he'll end his career in South Florida. He passed on an additional $25 million dollars in order to ensure the Heat would be able to surround him with a better supporting cast to chase a championship, his lone motivation on the court these days. O'Neal wants to bring down bad guys when his playing days are over, but before that time comes, he hopes to hang a couple banners in the rafters at AmericanAirlines Arena. As long as he stays healthy and in shape, that goal will always be in reach.

2. Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix: During last year's playoffs, no one was more impressive. No one. He took it to Tim Duncan in the Western Conference finals, dominating in all facets. Considering his jumper is coming along, he'll soon be unguardable, combining imposing physicality with finesse skills. Nasty. Best of all, the kid has the special gift of doing whatever it takes, extending his ceiling when necessary. If he were O'Neal's size, he'd be the best player in the game already. Despite that, don't count against him getting to that level over the next few years.

3. Chris Bosh, Toronto: It's easy to forget he only spent a single season in college, and his development in the pros has been a steady progression to super-stardom. If it weren't for him, the Raptors would be the league's most hopeless franchise, but they had better surround him with significant talent soon. He'll line up out of position at center this season, allowing the team to play rookie Charlie Villanueva at the four, but there's no question he's best suited playing a Kevin Garnett-type power forward role. Thanks to the NBA's rookie/sophomore event, he has been a part of the past two All-Star weekends, and he told me he plans on making himself a fixture. To do so, he'll have to gain enough attention to be selected by Eastern Conference coaches, which seems like a mere formality given his progress.

4. Ben Wallace, Detroit: Still the most gifted post defender in the game, Big Ben has made a living doing what few others will -- concentrating on the little things that help you win, from always being in position to monopolizing the boards. He's a saner, bigger version of Dennis Rodman, which allows him to give up three inches to most centers and still take them out of their comfort zone. On offense, he has mostly gotten by on put-backs and dunks, but to his credit, he has expanded his repertoire to the point where he can now consistently knock down short jumpers, making him even more of an asset. New coach Flip Saunders will enjoy his gifts after a decade in Minnesota without a competent center.

5. Yao Ming, Houston: We're still waiting on him to take his game to the next level. At 7-feet-5, he needs to dominate, needs to assert himself as a force, and as he enters year No. 4 in the NBA, he has showed only flashes of those abilities. Consider that in the Chinese League, he averaged over 19 rebounds in each of his last two seasons before coming over, scoring about 30 per game. While the level of competition is obviously much tougher here, he should still be breaking the 20 point-10 rebound barrier. With Tracy McGrady taking some of the pressure off him, he should step up and embrace the advantages his size and skill level afford him.

6. Marcus Camby, Denver: He has stayed healthy most of the past two seasons, missing fewer than 20 games each year. While that might not be satisfactory for most, it has to be considered a victory for Camby, considering the two seasons represent the most action he has seen in his nine-year career. With him anchoring the defense, Denver turned into a juggernaut under George Karl, fueled by his double-doubles and formidable shot-blocking presence. He was definitely the Nuggets' most valuable player last season and will have reprise his role for the team to live up to expectations, which now include a Northwest Division title.

7. Dwight Howard, Orlando: Howard was the player whose ranking required the most deliberation. He's still a kid, only 19, and although he's best suited for a power forward role, the Magic plan on playing him at the pivot more this year, envisioning him filling a Stoudemire-type role as they look to push the tempo. He's nowhere close to fulfilling his potential, still lacking go-to post moves and relying heavily on his remarkable athleticism. That was good enough to get him 12 points and 10 boards as a rookie, coming without the benefit of any respect from the refs, which will no doubt come in year No. 2. He's one of the league's future superstars. Of that, there should be no question.

8. Jamaal Magloire, New Orleans/Oklahoma City: The Canadian is a former All-Star but missed 59 games last season with a broken finger that completely destroyed the Hornets' season. The team almost parted ways with him on draft day but now envisions him and new point guard Chris Paul combining to bring the team back toward respectability. Magloire's skill isn't overwhelming, but he does everything particularly well and never takes a night off. He should rebound this year, health permitting.

9. Brad Miller, Sacramento: He works hard, facilitates offense with his superb understanding of the game and substantial passing skills, scores and rebounds. What else can you want? Although he's not as physically strong as many other centers, he holds his own and compensates through effort. Limited to just 56 games by injury a year ago, Miller is looking to bounce back and should form a formidable post combination alongside new acquisition Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

10. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cleveland: He's finally shed the oft-injured tag after three consecutive seasons playing 78 games or more, overcoming the foot problems that derailed him earlier in his career. The Cavs rewarded him with a new contract, giving LeBron James and Larry Hughes a post threat to help free them up. Ilgauskas, despite being 7-3, is a finesse center, able to fill it up with jump hooks and crafty footwork in the paint. The Lithuanian should enhance his reputation this postseason as Cleveland ends its playoff drought.

11. Eddy Curry, Chicago: After finally appearing comfortable in his own skin, Curry's breakout season was ended by a heart abnormality, a condition that will cast doubt on his effectiveness for the remainder of his career. It's not like he has bad knees or tender ankles -- a questionable ticker is a haunting reminder of our vulnerability. Hopefully, he's able to persevere; the 7-footer is just beginning to scratch the surface of his abilities.

12. Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee: The highest-ranked rookie in any of the positional rankings, Bogut should have the biggest impact of any of this year's first-year players. His size and the fact he's a legitimate center aren't his only attributes; he not only dominated in college, but also in international events. The Bucks hit the lottery, literally, in securing his services, finding a player who not only fit their needs but wants to be in Milwaukee as part of its rebuilding process. He'll be able to hold his own in the post from Day 1, bringing a Brad Miller-type game to the table.

13. Lorenzen Wright, Memphis: He'll never be a superstar or the focal point of an offense, but as he enters his ninth season, Wright has found a niche as a dependable contributor. He'll get you 10 points and seven boards per game but needs to find a way to stay healthy, particularly since the Grizzlies let fellow big man Stromile Swift walk via free agency.

14. Samuel Dalembert, Philadelphia: The Sixers rewarded his progress handsomely with a new contract during the offseason, assuring his continued presence. His offense remains a work in progress, but he has come a long way over the past few seasons and should see an increase in his production now that former running mate Marc Jackson has departed. Defense is still his main attribute, bolstered by a lanky frame that he uses to contest and alter shots.

15. Jerome James, New York: With his size, power and dexterity, there's no doubt James should inhabit the Top 10 in these rankings, but forgive us our doubts. He has floated through the league as a backup for six seasons before breaking out during these past playoffs, earning himself sizeable payday in a contract year. The Knicks are banking on him reporting with a renewed commitment and an improved work ethic. They also hope he'll have a similar impact in the paint as he had for Seattle against Sacramento and San Antonio.

16. Erick Dampier, Dallas: The Mavericks were hoping he'd be the final piece to their puzzle, a legitimate 7-footer who would anchor their defense, but Big Damp was mediocre at best in his first year in Big D. Entering his second year of a $73 million dollar contract, he has to improve his temperament and become more aggressive while avoiding the foul trouble that so often sent him to the bench early.

17. Nazr Mohammed, San Antonio: After coming over from New York in a midseason trade, Mohammed proved to be invaluable to the Spurs' championship run, watching Tim Duncan's back and defending the Western Conference's more gifted post players. He'll never dominate, but he's dependable, extremely capable, and should be even better now that he owns a ring and understands what it takes to come out on top.

18. Primoz Brezec, Charlotte: The young Slovenian is on the rise, emerging as a legitimate threat in Charlotte after never playing more than 22 games in three seasons with the Pacers. He's gifted offensively, averaging 13 points per game while logging the second-most minutes on the expansion franchise. He can face up, armed with a dangerous mid-range game, although the next step in his development will hinge on his ability to make the most of his 7-1, 250-pound frame, becoming a more sound rebounder and defender.

19. Brendan Haywood, Washington: He's progressing, albeit slowly, but at least he's moving forward. Considering his size and pedigree, he should be making more of an impact than he has already. He came up with career highs in scoring and rebounding last season, but the Wizards still crave more. He should be cracking the double-figure mark in scoring average as the team's chief post threat this year.

20. Mehmet Okur, Utah: The ultimate finesse center, Okur is capable of consistent 20-point nights but has to become a better rebounder. Even with Andrei Kirilenko and Carlos Boozer as running mates, the Jazz need more toughness out of the five spot, which is why they went out and re-acquired Greg Ostertag. A native of Turkey, he had a disappointing run during the European Championships and will be looking to bounce back when the season begins.

Also considered: Joel Przybilla, Portland; Theo Ratliff, Portland; Chris Kaman, L.A. Clippers; Jeff Foster, Indiana; Marc Jackson, New Jersey; Alonzo Mourning, Miami; Michael Olowokandi, Minnesota; Raef LaFrentz, Boston; Tony Battie, Orlando; Chris Mihm, L.A. Lakers.

mookie2001
09-26-2005, 11:09 PM
dhoward below camby and yao ming

bullshit

SequSpur
09-26-2005, 11:10 PM
I can't believe Rasho is not in the top 5.

Sense
09-26-2005, 11:10 PM
dhoward below camby and yao ming

bullshit

Are you serious?

DHoward did SHIT last season compared to those guys, he has to be below em.

Leetonidas
09-26-2005, 11:16 PM
I can't believe Bogut is above Mohammed, and he hasn't even played 1 game in the NBA!

Boo
09-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Uhhhh... that list is fuckin bullshit..

Adonyl Foyle is at least a Top 5 center!!

I dont see how they put bogut up there

he hasnt proved shit yet

Boo
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM
I can't believe Bogut is above Mohammed, and he hasn't even played 1 game in the NBA!

my bad you posted same time as me i wrote exact as u

Leetonidas
09-26-2005, 11:24 PM
I can't believe Rasho is not in the top 5.

I can't believe Rasho's not on this list at all. :pctoss

Sense
09-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Uhhhh... that list is fuckin bullshit..

Adonyl Foyle is at least a Top 5 center!!

I dont see how they put bogut up there

he hasnt proved shit yet

:lmao :lol :lmao

Sense
09-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Oh, I'm sorry... were you being serious?

Amuseddaysleeper
09-27-2005, 12:52 AM
chris bosh ahead of ben wallace wtf!!!

spursupporter
09-27-2005, 02:05 AM
we want rasho!
we want rasho!

NZHayden
09-27-2005, 02:21 AM
its not a very good article

phyzik
09-27-2005, 02:36 AM
2. Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix: During last year's playoffs, no one was more impressive. No one. He took it to Tim Duncan in the Western Conference finals, dominating in all facets. Considering his jumper is coming along, he'll soon be unguardable, combining imposing physicality with finesse skills. Nasty. Best of all, the kid has the special gift of doing whatever it takes, extending his ceiling when necessary. If he were O'Neal's size, he'd be the best player in the game already. Despite that, don't count against him getting to that level over the next few years. :rolleyes

Of course no mention of the well known, and publicly made strategy, that we allowed him to get his points. Dont get me wrong, he is going to be good, but "he took it to Tim duncan" is stretching it a bit IMHO.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-27-2005, 02:47 AM
:rolleyes

Of course no mention of the well known, and publicly made strategy, that we allowed him to get his points. Dont get me wrong, he is going to be good, but "he took it to Tim duncan" is stretching it a bit IMHO.

wasn't that strategy made public after he started scorching the spurs?

Dre_7
09-27-2005, 03:15 AM
wasn't that strategy made public after he started scorching the spurs?

I wouldnt consider losing four games to one scorching the Spurs by any stretch of the imagination.

Admidave50
09-27-2005, 04:00 AM
Yao Ming should be No. 3! No doubt

spursupporter
09-27-2005, 05:59 AM
andrew bogut is overrated???

Trainwreck2100
09-27-2005, 06:43 AM
2. Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix: During last year's playoffs, no one was more impressive. No one. He took it to Tim Duncan in the Western Conference finals, dominating in all facets. Considering his jumper is coming along, he'll soon be unguardable, combining imposing physicality with finesse skills. Nasty. Best of all, the kid has the special gift of doing whatever it takes, extending his ceiling when necessary. If he were O'Neal's size, he'd be the best player in the game already. Despite that, don't count against him getting to that level over the next few years.

Tim Duncan didn't even guard him

Rubberducky
09-27-2005, 07:26 AM
I thought Amare was a PF? He was also ranked in the Power Forward list.

SWC Bonfire
09-27-2005, 08:11 AM
its not a very good article

I hit this statement and it was all I needed to know:

For years, since past greats Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing hung up their sneaks, we've been searching for a clear-cut No. 2, a Russell to the Diesel's Wilt.

:wtf Here I was under the impression that Bill Russell had like 11 rings. :lol I guess he was talking about at some point in their careers, but for all of Wilt's high scoring antics on and off the court, he doesn't pass Bill Russell, much less make him a "clear-cut No. 2".

ambchang
09-27-2005, 10:27 AM

Yeah, and every facet? There's scoring on single teams ... and ... uhhhh.... what's the other facet(s) he was talking about?
Also, Jerome James? He shouldn't even be in the top 200, and there aren't even 200 centers in the league.

50 cent
09-27-2005, 11:42 AM
I thought this was written by Charlie Rosen so I didn't even read it. Sounds like I still shouldn't read it.