PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Article: Kawhi Leonard Climbing Draft Boards, Onto Cavaliers’ Radar

TheDoctor
03-16-2016, 02:28 PM
by Andrew Schnitkey

Last week when we took a look at the Draft Lottery Machine and came up with what seems like every scenario imaginable, not a single simulation had the Cleveland Cavaliers taking San Diego State forward Kawhi Leonard with one of the first round picks. But as the lottery draws ever closer, Leonard’s is a name that has been gaining momentum.

If you recall, San Diego State was one of the surprise stories of the 2010-11 NCAA basketball season. The Aztecs earned a #2 seed in the tournament and lost to eventual champion UConn in the Sweet 16 round. They finished the year with a 34-3 record. The biggest reason for their surge was Kawhi Leonard, who averaged 15.5 ppg and 10.6 rpg to lead the team in both categories.
When the sophomore declared for the draft, some projected him as a project who would be taken mid first round. But as he has been demonstrating vast improvements in workouts and a word of mouth campaign has been spreading, Leonard has seen his name vaulted into the top 10 of the draft and now some are saying he may even be a top 5 prospect.

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld.com says virtually every team in the top 10 has Leonard on their radar:

That’s the case with Kawhi Leonard, who is climbing draft boards and solidifying himself as the best small forward in this class. Every top team – from the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Toronto Raptors to the Washington Wizards – has expressed significant interest in Leonard.
Leonard is currently working out at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas and he’s improving each and every day. He has turned heads and he has all of the trainers and prospects singing his praises.

Nearly every lottery team has Leonard high on their draft board. After Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams, this draft is wide open and there’s a possibility that Leonard could move into the top five.
Kawhi Leonard is easy to like with his unique blend of athleticism, power and range. He won’t have any trouble making a team fall in love with his game, and where he ultimately lands will have a lot to do with where the ping pong balls bounce next week.

As we pointed out last week, SF is definitely a position of great need for the Cavaliers (http://waitingfornextyear.com/2011/05/cavaliers-facing-plenty-of-roster-holes-this-offseason/) this offseason. So would it be a reach for the Cavaliers to take Leonard with their first pick in the draft? Not necessarily.
Should the Cavaliers wind up with the 4th pick, they would miss out on prized prospects Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams for sure, but they would also likely miss out on Enes Kanter, the prospect many suspect the Cavaliers would have ranked 3rd on their wish list. If Kanter is gone at #4 as well, it would be pretty wide open on who the Cavaliers would take.
ESPN’s draft lottery has the Cavaliers favoring Kemba Walker, and Walker would likely be a popular pick amongst fans as well, but I’m not convinced the Cavaliers would pick him. Walker is likely too undersized to ever be effective playing minutes at the 2 guard position, but at PG his ceiling probably isn’t high enough to warrant being drafted top 5. Which isn’t to say Walker can’t be a good NBA PG, it’s just too much of a risk that he won’t be to feel comfortable taking him top 5.

That leaves a lot of European prospects for the Cavaliers to consider. We’ve seen names like Jonas Valanciunas, Jan Vesely, Enes Kanter, Dontas Motiejunas, and Bismack Biyombo as potential Cavaliers targets. When it comes to European players, though, scouting is always a fine art. European players’ skills don’t always translate quite right to the NBA. With Leonard, although the level of his competition wasn’t always the greatest, there’s still a fair amount of tape on him playing against opponents in a more NBA style of basketball than many European leagues. It’s not impossible that at some point Chris Grant decides to play it safe in his first draft and goes with the more known quantity in Kawhi Leonard.

Of course, it’s not like Leonard doesn’t have his own question marks. Some feel he racked up inflated numbers against vastly inferior opponents. In San Diego State’s loss to UConn in the tourney, Leonard played a pretty pedestrian game and ended up with a decent, but not overwhelming, 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists. There are questions about Leonard’s ability to shoot consistently from long range as well as questions about his defensive intensity and fundamentals.

It’s hard to imagine the Cavaliers taking Leonard with their first pick in the top 5, but if Leonard is still available when the Cavaliers are on the clock with the Clippers’ pick, don’t be surprised if Leonard is the guy they decide to take.

:claw

BatManu20
03-16-2016, 02:30 PM
:tu

BatManu20
03-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Makes me think of his pre-draft workout video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1GYjD1yHo

RD2191
03-16-2016, 02:35 PM
"Questions about his defensive intensity" :lol

LongtimeSpursFan
03-16-2016, 02:55 PM
He's a longshot but Spurs should take him if available when their time comes to pick. We could ship him to DLeague to work on outside shot, ball handling and defensive intensity.

tonight...you
03-16-2016, 02:57 PM
He's a longshot but Spurs should take him if available when their time comes to pick. We could ship him to DLeague to work on outside shot, ball handling and defensive intensity.
Hopefully Pop doesn't do something stupid like ship a player to trade up for him. Especially Paul George... Just be patient and let the draft come to you.

TheDoctor
03-16-2016, 03:02 PM
You think he might like chicken wings?

look_at_g_shred
03-16-2016, 03:07 PM
WHAT IS PATFO THINKING?? WE NEED A DUNCAN REPLACEMENT! DIDN'T WE ALL JUST WITNESS IT AGAINST THE GRIZZLIES?? TIM DUNCAN IS DONE!

szkorhetz
03-16-2016, 03:21 PM
WHAT IS PATFO THINKING?? WE NEED A DUNCAN REPLACEMENT! DIDN'T WE ALL JUST WITNESS IT AGAINST THE GRIZZLIES?? TIM DUNCAN IS DONE!
Actually, Tim was done.
And he is still a top 3 Center in the NBA right now.

MI21
03-16-2016, 04:14 PM
"Questions about his defensive intensity" :lol

What a statement. Questions about his defensive fundamentals also :lol

jmard5
03-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Lacking defensive intensity and fundamentals - Wow, I sure hope the Spurs don't draft this guy. He does not seem to fit the typical Spur.

If we can only find that Bowen replacement that can guard the LeBrons, Anthonys and Durants of the NBA, maybe we can see the Spurs in the finals again.

bic50
03-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Gerald Wallace

TheGreatYacht
03-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Would be a nice backup for Richard, IMO

TrainOfThought5
03-16-2016, 06:38 PM
This was one hell of a quality thread. Thank you all for the laughs... richard jefferson lol

UNT Eagles 2016
03-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Might challenge James Anderson for the backup SF behind RJ.

baseline bum
03-16-2016, 07:23 PM
He and DeJuan Blair could be a nice frontcourt to build around.

Ice009
03-16-2016, 08:49 PM
I think some people here said it would take him 2-3 years before he gets into the rotation. Instead he won finals MVP in year 3 and was up there in year 2 as one of the best players for the Spurs in the finals.

This is the video that I saw that made me want to dump that other person that was playing SF right away. I was excited about getting a young, strong, hungry kid to play SF that looked determined to make it.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-16-2016, 08:53 PM
He and DeJuan Blair could be a nice frontcourt to build around.

Yeah, imagine Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen together! :wow

Wu36
03-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Pass, cornrows. Trade Parker for Jimmer.

100%duncan
03-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Can anyone remind me why Kawhi wasnt a lottery pick? Seems like article like these, they were sure he was going to be.

Splits
03-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Can anyone remind me why Kawhi wasnt a lottery pick? Seems like article like these, they were sure he was going to be.

System player that can't shoot.

In all honesty, it's an interesting thought experiment to compare where he would be in year 4 if he was drafted by any other org besides the Spurs. Seriously doubt he'd be anywhere near the player he is today. If he'd never developed his shot, he could be a Jimmer.

100%duncan
03-16-2016, 09:47 PM
System player that can't shoot.

In all honesty, it's an interesting thought experiment to compare where he would be in year 4 if he was drafted by any other org besides the Spurs. Seriously doubt he'd be anywhere near the player he is today. If he'd never developed his shot, he could be a Jimmer.

Yup, no one could deny his work ethic though. I think he'd be a starter but nothing special. All worked out for both parties.

8FOR!3
03-16-2016, 11:40 PM
I still remember to this day how pissed off I was that we traded up and didn't take Chris Singleton when we had the chance. Hell, surely if he had Chip correcting his shooting form he would've been a solid starter. But I guess that's why I'm not a scout, he's playing for Lokomotiv in Russia now lol.

Ditty
03-16-2016, 11:49 PM
:lol I really wanted Singleton also, he was a defensive stud in college. Thankfully whoever scouted him in the Spurs organization, saw something they didn't like which he ended up as a bust. Just one of those amazing scouting, even possibly lucky (Manu, Tony, and Kawhi) picks.

Russ
03-17-2016, 05:24 AM

Is there a date for that article?

I suspect it was some time before the draft because Kawhi was actually dropping (from top 10 to borderline lottery) the last week or so up to the draft -- allowing the Spurs to even think about getting him. :tu

(Actually, now that I read it more carefully, it's clear that the article was written before the lottery even happened.)

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 07:18 AM
Is there a date for that article?

I suspect it was some time before the draft because Kawhi was actually dropping (from top 10 to borderline lottery) the last week or so up to the draft -- allowing the Spurs to even think about getting him. :tu

(Actually, now that I read it more carefully, it's clear that the article was written before the lottery even happened.)

I can imagine the Spurs pulling some "Draft Day" shenanigans by inserting rumors here and there to let Kawhi slip that deep :lol

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 07:49 AM
I still remember to this day how pissed off I was that we traded up and didn't take Chris Singleton when we had the chance. Hell, surely if he had Chip correcting his shooting form he would've been a solid starter. But I guess that's why I'm not a scout, he's playing for Lokomotiv in Russia now lol.

:lol :tu

hater
03-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Fuck him. Resign Jamest Gist to a 5 year deal

UZER
03-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Pass, don't want thugs on the Spurs.

Ice009
03-17-2016, 08:16 AM

I remember people here saying that we should have taken Chris Singleton. Not sure, maybe that poster was you. Can't remember if it was just one person or if there was multiple posters asking for him. I don't recall ever seeing this guy play. Was he in the NBA long?

Dre_7
03-17-2016, 09:34 AM
Pop will just play him at PF :depressed

YGWHI
03-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Nice. Thanks for posting! :toast

Kawhi was injured in those days and it was a factor in his draft status.

But with the most career win shares and the highest Value Above Replacement Player of all 60 draftees, Leonard could very well be the best player from the 2011 draft...
“It’s luck (Leonard was available),” Felton said. “(Player evaluation) is not a science. You have to have a little luck.”
Said Buford: “Everybody’s an expert after the fact. The last thing we want to do is act like we’re smarter than everybody. (But) from a cultural standpoint, from a need standpoint, I’m not sure we could have found a better fit than Kawhi.”
Buford and Felton declined to speculate on why Leonard fell into the Spurs’ lap. But Elfus blamed a minor heel injury Leonard suffered just before the draft that forced him to cancel a workout.
“He couldn’t put a lot of pressure on it, and word leaked out (it was worse than it was),” Elfus said. “I had to scramble to get him seen on draft day by an expert and get the information out to every club. We did what we could do.”
The damage, however, was done.
As Leonard dropped out of the top 10 — Elfus expected him to go no later than Sacramento at No. 7 or Charlotte at No. 9 — he had no idea of the drama unfolding in San Antonio.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-trade-for-Leonard-arguably-their-best-6617799.php

Kidd K
03-17-2016, 03:57 PM

I love the part where you can hear the contempt in his voice when he said people compared him to Gerald Wallace. He was insulted as fuck :lol and rightfully so.

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Nice. Thanks for posting! :toast

Kawhi was injured in those days and it was a factor in his draft status.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-trade-for-Leonard-arguably-their-best-6617799.php

#CIAPop

8FOR!3
03-18-2016, 07:42 AM
I remember people here saying that we should have taken Chris Singleton. Not sure, maybe that poster was you. Can't remember if it was just one person or if there was multiple posters asking for him. I don't recall ever seeing this guy play. Was he in the NBA long?

He was on the Wizards a few years, couldn't shoot, I don't think he got a lot of playtime. Good defender but I think they tried to play him as a stretch 4 which he didn't have the body for.

Chinook
03-18-2016, 08:20 AM

It was that dude TJastal.

thiste
03-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Pass, don't want thugs on the Spurs.

This. They can never shut up.