PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker: Team Leader or Role Player?

Spurtacular
03-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Do you think Tony Parker is a team leader or role player? (See Poll)

UNT Eagles 2016
03-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Role player

1 100.00%

100%duncan
03-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Tim's the Leader. Kawhi and LMA are the best players. Everyone else after.

dabom
03-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Tim's the Leader. Kawhi and LMA are the best players. Everyone else after.

dabom
03-16-2016, 09:52 PM
OP sucks balls.

Dude doesn't know how to make a poll. Vote should be viewable faggot. :lmao

dabom
03-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Role player. And not a good one at that. :lmao

100%duncan
03-16-2016, 10:03 PM
OP sucks balls.

Dude doesn't know how to make a poll. Vote should be viewable faggot. :lmao
ElNono knows how

Spurtacular
03-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Wipe your tears, deebs.

K...
03-16-2016, 10:36 PM
I voted team leader. The spurs have no true leader so Parker wins by default.

SpursforSix
03-16-2016, 10:38 PM
I like to think he plays the role of team leader.

wingster
03-16-2016, 10:39 PM
A leader. Not THE leader.

SpursforSix
03-16-2016, 10:45 PM
A leader. Not THE leader.

I'm sure I can list some things that he is THE leader in.

BatManu20
03-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Who cares as long as we win.

100%duncan
03-16-2016, 10:48 PM
I'm sure I can list some things that he is THE leader in.

Nope, Bobo leads in eating by a country mile.

SpursforSix
03-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Nope, Bobo leads in eating by a country mile.

I was going to post a list of negatives that he leads in. But BatManu got it right. It's too late I. The season to bitch. Just win baby.

SpursforSix
03-16-2016, 10:53 PM
That being said, that contract is going to be damn painful next season.

spursistan
03-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Past two weeks? neither..a scrub, sadly..

Proxy
03-17-2016, 10:24 AM
both?

Silver&Black
03-17-2016, 10:26 AM

kaji157
03-17-2016, 10:34 AM
I think he can be a team leader as he is in France, but these last 3 years he has not been that, he has rather been a very good role player and sometimes, a leader.

The sad thing is i think that if he embraced to be a leader he could, but he just doesnŽt lead by example, doesnŽt have the moral background our leaders have (Tim, Manu) and on the court he seems from tie to time disinterested, something youŽll never see from the other two members of the Big 3.

I really a problem to be addressed because how our team is built, it is based on the higher standard of work ethic, unselfishness and leadership of David Robinson and Tim Duncan, Manu has embraced all of those flags and become a leader, but Tony doesnŽt seem very interested of being part of it aside from playing on the court, these last few years his work ethic has been at leas doubtful, having a bit overweight from time to time.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 11:28 AM
I believe there are 4 distinct aspects of team leadership: 1) Locker room "presence", 2) Practice/hustle/commitment to improvement, 3) Game performance, 4) Media "promotability"/face of the franchise. In the Big 3 era, Timmy and Manu have clearly led the team in the first three categories, while Manu, Timmy and Tony have all had a hand in leading the team in the 4th category. Tony has also been one of the leaders in the third category at times.

Going forward, Kawhi will be a clear leader in the second and third categories. While he is becoming more media savvy, it is difficult to envision his ever becoming the articulate spokesman that Manu is. I do not see LMA leading the team in the locker room or in the media. In a post-Manu, post-Timmy world, Tony is likely to be more of a media leader, even though Kawhi will be the face of the franchise (and to a lesser extent, LMA). Assuming he stays, DWest will be one of the leaders in the locker room. Patty will also be a bigger part of media leadership of the team and possibly in other aspects, as well. He has excellent leadership qualities both on and off the court. I believe that is a big reason that PATFO has patiently developed him from a towel-waver to an improving PG option - to the point that he is now on the floor in crunch time. After Manu, he has the best media presence on the team.

ElNono
03-17-2016, 12:09 PM
Team leader for team france, IMO

lefty
03-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Team leader for team france, IMO
That would be Bobo tbh

Perry Mason
03-17-2016, 12:39 PM
I believe there are 4 distinct aspects of team leadership: 1) Locker room "presence", 2) Practice/hustle/commitment to improvement, 3) Game performance, 4) Media "promotability"/face of the franchise. In the Big 3 era, Timmy and Manu have clearly led the team in the first three categories, while Manu, Timmy and Tony have all had a hand in leading the team in the 4th category. Tony has also been one of the leaders in the third category at times.

Going forward, Kawhi will be a clear leader in the second and third categories. While he is becoming more media savvy, it is difficult to envision his ever becoming the articulate spokesman that Manu is. I do not see LMA leading the team in the locker room or in the media. In a post-Manu, post-Timmy world, Tony is likely to be more of a media leader, even though Kawhi will be the face of the franchise (and to a lesser extent, LMA). Assuming he stays, DWest will be one of the leaders in the locker room. Patty will also be a bigger part of media leadership of the team and possibly in other aspects, as well. He has excellent leadership qualities both on and off the court. I believe that is a big reason that PATFO has patiently developed him from a towel-waver to an improving PG option - to the point that he is now on the floor in crunch time. After Manu, he has the best media presence on the team.

TP has been a leader in these categories since 2007/8 when he blossomed into a player in his prime. The true leader of the Spurs will always be Tim (and Pop).

His physical decline is regrettable but it happens to every player. It will happen to Kawhi one day. The daily trolling on this site regarding TP is so very tiresome.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 12:46 PM
TP has been a leader in these categories since 2007/8 when he blossomed into a player in his prime. The true leader of the Spurs will always be Tim (and Pop).

His physical decline is regrettable but it happens to every player. It will happen to Kawhi one day. The daily trolling on this site regarding TP is so very tiresome.

I am not convinced that Tony has ever been a real locker room leader - especially with the Brent Barry baggage. In his early career he was probably a leader in practice/development because he developed a very good jumper when he had none when he entered the league. In the last two or three years that does not seem to be the case. He has been a leader on the floor since the end of the last decade up until this season. He has been a media leader for about the same length of time.

spurs10
03-17-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm very grateful for all TP has done. Today he knows his role has changed and he needs to embrace that. While his D has improved and his assists have seen some good nights, he still will need to be hid on most elite PG's. So he will still lead the offense at times, but more as a distributor. Those night's he is able to contribute on offense are great, but getting more rare.

TEXICAN
03-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Don't care, just get 6!!! Go Spurs Go!!!!

Cry Havoc
03-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Duncan, Parker, and Manu are all leaders despite now taking up more of a role-playing situation in most games.

No team wins the title without some sort of leadership. That doesn't always come from putting up the best stats.

Without question though, Duncan is the heart and soul of the team. Always has been, always will be. Hope he sticks around as a coach after he retires, because we'd be a lot better off with him around.

BillMc
03-17-2016, 01:10 PM

This.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Duncan, Parker, and Manu are all leaders despite now taking up more of a role-playing situation in most games.

No team wins the title without some sort of leadership. That doesn't always come from putting up the best stats.

Without question though, Duncan is the heart and soul of the team. Always has been, always will be. Hope he sticks around as a coach after he retires, because we'd be a lot better off with him around.

Whether Tim sticks around as a coach seems entirely up to him. If he says he wants to, the Spurs just say,"Yes, thank you!" That seems realistic since he has held informal workouts with other big men during the summer. His continued presence in the locker room and on the bench would be HUGE!

Cry Havoc
03-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Whether Tim sticks around as a coach seems entirely up to him. If he says he wants to, the Spurs just say,"Yes, thank you!" That seems realistic since he has held informal workouts with other big men during the summer. His continued presence in the locker room and on the bench would be HUGE!

He's a natural teacher. Hell, other NBA bigs have told stories about Duncan coaching them... in the game he's playing against them. That kind of stuff is so rare. Hope it's an indication that Duncan loves to immerse himself in that kind of environment, because he's pretty laid back so it's not realistic to just expect him to stay around after he retires.

Cry Havoc
03-17-2016, 01:20 PM
For posterity:

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/ex-nba-player-etan-thomas-says-tim-duncan-gave-him-advice-during-game-042515

sasaint
03-17-2016, 01:23 PM
He's a natural teacher. Hell, other NBA bigs have told stories about Duncan coaching them... in the game he's playing against them. That kind of stuff is so rare. Hope it's an indication that Duncan loves to immerse himself in that kind of environment, because he's pretty laid back so it's not realistic to just expect him to stay around after he retires.

The nail on the head!

Cry Havoc
03-18-2016, 12:33 AM
:lol

18 & 16 on +50% shooting, 2 TOs.

inb4 "ballhogging for stats"

inb4 "terrible team"

dabom
03-18-2016, 12:35 AM
:lol

18 & 16 on +50% shooting, 2 TOs.

inb4 "ballhogging for stats"