PDA

View Full Version : Report: Rival execs believe the Spurs will chase Kevin Durant in offseason

Pages : [1] 2

Budkin
03-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25520313/report-rival-execs-believe-the-spurs-will-chase-kevin-durant

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 11:09 AM
inb4 1000 pages

NASpurs
03-17-2016, 11:10 AM
inb4 1000 pages

500 pgs mega thread with five bannings

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdxEUKHUIAEHDiH.jpg

Dre_7
03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Can't have three max contracts. Don't wanna lose Aldridge. Not gonna happen.

baseline bum
03-17-2016, 11:17 AM
It doesn't make much sense. Just between Aldridge, Leonard, Parker, and Green they're at $62.6 million committed. With an $89 million cap Durant's going to be looking at $31 million starting, and the Spurs would already have a payroll $4.6 million too high between those four players to accomodate Durant. And they're not going to tell West to go fuck himself after the huge paycut he took to come here, nor should they. Durant is really only doable if the Spurs salary dump Parker in the offseason, assuming Duncan and Ginobili both retire. It's one thing to salary dump Splitter for an Aldridge who looked like he was out of Portland for sure, but to dump Tony when Durant has always shown a lot of loyalty to OKC?

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 11:17 AM
Not really news, cause everyone will be chasing KD, but figured I'd share.

Here's a new team to put in the Kevin Durant (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1231866/kevin-durant) sweepstakes: the San Antonio Spurs (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/SA/san-antonio-spurs). According to The Vertical's Chris Mannix (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kevin-durant-on-thunder-s-chemistry---look--we-like-each-other-132132999.html), executives around the league expect the Spurs to at least explore the possibility of acquiring Durant in the summer:

The coming spike in the salary cap has created a landscape for which nobody prepared. Golden State is considered a realistic option, San Antonio is lurking in the weeds, and it's widely believed Boston will make its way onto Durant's radar in the coming months. Indeed, a Bachelor-like courtship is set to commence.

Oklahoma City has a considerable carrot: The Thunder own Durant's Bird Rights, giving them the option to exceed the cap. Other teams could sign Durant outright, but they would need to fit Durant's salary without exceeding the cap, potentially inhibiting a team's ability to build a contender around him.

Still, so much remains unknown. The lure of playing with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson has to be appealing, but would Durant really jump to a possible two-time champion, to a team that will never be his? San Antonio has rebuilt its dynasty, but rival executives believe the Spurs will explore ways of adding Durant to the mix, and the franchise's culture makes it intriguing.

Some thoughts:

1) San Antonio is one of the few teams that won't have much cap space this summer. If Durant wants something close to a max deal, the Spurs would likely have to waive Boris Diaw (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/400542/boris-diaw)'s partially guaranteed contract and both Tim Duncan (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/6552/tim-duncan) and Manu Ginobili (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/139066/manu-ginobili) would have to retire.

2) Last summer, San Antonio signed the best free agent on the market who changed teams. It was a forward who played his college basketball at Texas. Just saying.

3) Seriously, this sounds crazy, right? Obviously, the Spurs are the gold standard when it comes to NBA franchises, but would Durant really leave the Oklahoma City Thunder (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/OKC/oklahoma-city-thunder) to go to a rival like this? It seems far-fetched because San Antonio already has a superstar at small forward, and because it just seems unfair. If Duncan does retire, just imagine a frontcourt of Kawhi Leonard (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1715792/kawhi-leonard), Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1113136/lamarcus-aldridge). This is absolutely terrifying.

4) Mannix writes, "a return to Oklahoma City remains the most logical, most reasoned outcome." This may very well be the case, and it feels a bit weird to be speculating so openly about Durant leaving when he's chasing a title with Russell Westbrook (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1622555/russell-westbrook). The safe bet is still that he'll stay on a short-term deal, then go through this whole circus again.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/031716_kd.jpg
Imagine these two on the same team. (USATSI)

phyzik
03-17-2016, 11:18 AM
pipe dream, but yeah (as the article states) a front court of Leonard, Aldridge and Durant would be mind blowing.

Robz4000
Welp, lets get this shit on the road...

Would Durant be a better PG than Porker?
Should Leonard be taking more shots than Durant?
Was Durant worth it?
Can Durant play backup SF?

BatManu20
FWIW I still think he either stays in OKC or goes to GSW. The Celtics are another dark horse. Don't see him leaving the Thunder to come play for a small-market rival and I don't see him going home to D.C despite the rumors he might want to.

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 11:19 AM
I think a much more realistic target (and someone I'd love to have if Timmy retires) is Al Horford. Would be a perfect fit alongside LMA.

Spur|n|Austin
03-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Quite far fetched from a dollar perspective, but yep that would be a nasty nasty front court.

100%duncan
No fucking way dude goes to GSW, not after what he saw with Lebron going to Miami :lol

Robz4000
It doesn't make much sense. Just between Aldridge, Leonard, Parker, and Green they're at $62.6 million committed. With an $89 million cap Durant's going to be looking at $31 million starting, and the Spurs would already have a payroll $4.6 million too high between those four players to accomodate Durant. And they're not going to tell West to go fuck himself after the huge paycut he took to come here, nor should they. Durant is really only doable if the Spurs salary dump Parker in the offseason, assuming Duncan and Ginobili both retire. It's one thing to salary dump Splitter for an Aldridge who looked like he was out of Portland for sure, but to dump Tony when Durant has always shown a lot of loyalty to OKC?

Not that I'm all for gutting the team to sign Durant, but they could always backload it. Plus, they showed little regard for the luxury tax this Summer, and I gotta think Manu and Tim would be all for returning one last year if they made this happen (on potentially minimum deals).

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Because Parker is borderline useless on offense and a liability on defense and botches clutch free throws.

Mel_13
03-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Not that I'm all for gutting the team to sign Durant, but they could always backload it. Plus, they showed little regard for the luxury tax this Summer, and I gotta think Manu and Tim would be all for returning one last year if they made this happen (on potentially minimum deals).

No they can't.

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 11:24 AM
If this happened though :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdwvoXKVAAAoFbf.jpg

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:24 AM
You can't get into the luxury tax when you're signing a new free agent (i.e. from a different team) with a larger contract than the MLE.

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 11:25 AM
The Spurs will never trade or cut Parker tbh. They are loyal to a fault unfortunately and will see his contract fully over the next two years as his production continues to decline.

RD2191
Don't want that whiny faggot loser on the Spurs.

Robz4000
No they can't.

Don't really know the system like Chinook tbh, was just a thought.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Let's fuckin do it

Chinook
03-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Can't have three max contracts. Don't wanna lose Aldridge. Not gonna happen.

Yeah, they can. Just not would just cost a couple of rotation players with not real means of replacing him. Though, I guess it's possible for the Spurs to get enough if they just trade Parker...:stirpot:

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:27 AM
If this happened though :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdwvoXKVAAAoFbf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HSdSUwD.gif

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 11:28 AM

Meh. I hate Durant but dude, we'd win like 5 titles in 5 years.

Chinook
Don't really know the system like Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) tbh, was just a thought.

Mel's right. Durant will cost about $26 Million next year on a max whether the rest of the contract is completely flat, increasing or decreasing.

Dre_7
Yeah, they can. Just not would just cost a couple of rotation players with not real means of replacing him. Though, I guess it's possible for the Spurs to get enough if they just trade Parker...:stirpot:

None of that is gonna happen though. That is not how the Spurs work.

UNT Eagles 2016
Though, I guess it's possible for the Spurs to get enough if they just trade Parker...:stirpot:

Exactly. We can even start 40 year old Miller if he wants to come back, continue to bring Patty off the bench, and look towards the draft for our future full-time PG.

Chinook
03-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Meh. I hate Durant but dude, we'd win like 5 titles in 5 years.

Nah. Durant wouldn't fit with with Kawhi or LMA. Them together is even worse.

SpurAddict561
03-17-2016, 11:29 AM
He could finally get to be Kawhi's bitch more often than just 4 games a year...
Win Win for us

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 11:30 AM
PG - Tony Parker / Patty Mills / Andre Miller
SG - Kawhi Leonard / Danny Green / Kevin Martin
SF - Kevin Durant / Kyle Anderson / Jonathon Simmons
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge / DWest (BDiaw) / NotMattBonner
C - Tim Duncan / Boris Diaw (DWest) / Boban Marjanovic

100%duncan
Nah. Durant wouldn't fit with with Kawhi or LMA. Them together is even worse.

Fuck that. You go for it tbh. I dont see how anyone wouldn't.

Robz4000
Mel's right. Durant will cost about $26 Million next year on a max whether the rest of the contract is completely flat, increasing or decreasing.

Welp, time to dump Porker.

UNT Eagles 2016
He could finally get to be Kawhi's bitch more often than just 4 games a year...
Win Win for us
Kawhi was Durant's bitch in 2012 and 2014, sorry to say.

baseline bum

The CBA only allows for 4.5% raises off the first year base salary, so they can't backload it much. And Durant would get max base salary plus max 4.5% raises anyways.

r0drig0lac
03-17-2016, 11:31 AM
wow Kawhi / KD / LA would be amazing

100%duncan
Kawhi was Durant's bitch in 2012 and 2014, sorry to say.

2014? :lol

2012, yeah when he was a rookie.

eDizzle20
KD need look no further than how well LMA has adjusted while only playing a little more than 30 minutes a game.

UNT Eagles 2016
PG - Pick #29 / Patty Mills / Andre Miller
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge / David West (BDiaw) / Not Matt Bonner
Couldn't afford all them, so I made an adjustment and FIFY

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:33 AM
2014? :lol

2012, yeah when he was a rookie.
Leonard was pretty much ass in the WCF... just saying. He missed like 5 bunnies in a row in game 6 in the 4th quarter? That game should never have gone to OT

Mal
03-17-2016, 11:34 AM
Just posted, to be part of history

Chinook
Fuck that. You go for it tbh. I dont see how anyone wouldn't.

I feel like almost every time someone calls something a "no-brainer" or says, "you do it" or "you go for it", it turns out to be the wrong decision. You DON'T go for having a poor-fitting front court with either a complete scrub starting at the other big spot while Green is benched (or traded) or being perpetually small. Then the offense with those three would just be clunky.

baseline bum

You're right, $26.7 million starting. I was thinking the max contract was 35% of the cap with 9 years in, but it's with 10 years in, so Durant would be at 30% of the cap this year.

apalisoc_9
Kawhi hates durant. Do people not see that in their matchup? Twice already this season kawhi has went hard on durant with a not so nice after shot attempt hard push.

Durant has sneakily tried pushing kawhi hard.

The dudes hate each other...watch their recent 2 game matchup..dudes literrly trying to hurt each other. Not going to happen. Too much tension between kawhi and Durant.

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Leonard was pretty much ass in the WCF... just saying. He missed like 5 bunnies in a row in game 6 in the 4th quarter? That game should never have gone to OT

Whatever you say :lol

lefty
less touches for Kiwi?

That's not gonna hurt his development

Mal

Lol Andre Miller. Marjanovic would be gone in that scenario, so does Mills and Martin.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-17-2016, 11:36 AM

Durant coming here will probably not happen. But think about how a couple of years ago no 'big name' free agents would come to SA and now we procured Aldridge, West, Miller, Martin and possibly Durant.

RD2191
03-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Might have to put that faggot on ignore.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:37 AM

Also lousy in the 2014 regular season when they schalacked us all 4 times that year.

100%duncan
I feel like almost every time someone calls something a "no-brainer" or says, "you do it" or "you go for it", it turns out to be the wrong decision. You DON'T go for having a poor-fitting front court with either a complete scrub starting at the other big spot while Green is benched (or traded) or being perpetually small. Then the offense with those three would just be clunky.

Meh. They would work it out imho. Biggest problem is what Apa said, they hate each other :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
Might have to put that faggot on ignore.

Nope. Only pussies & assholes use the ignore feature on an internet message board.

100%duncan
Also lousy in the 2014 regular season when they schalacked us all 4 times that year.

RD2191
03-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Nope. Only pussies & assholes use the ignore feature on an internet message board.
Shutup, faggot.

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 11:38 AM
FWIW, I think its thunder or celtics.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Shutup, faggot.
Don't be a cuntdick, dude. I've always thought you were one of the better ones, don't break that.

RD2191
03-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Don't be a cuntdick, dude. I've always thought you were one of the better ones, don't break that.
:claw

100%duncan
03-17-2016, 11:40 AM

Rob's always been an asshole. Doesn't mean he can't be your nicca.

Chinook
03-17-2016, 11:42 AM
You're right, $26.7 million starting. I was thinking the max contract was 35% of the cap with 9 years in, but it's with 10 years in, so Durant would be at 30% of the cap this year.

It's close enough to not matter, but based on current projections, Durant's max is $26.0 Million. That's off a $92-Million cap. 92*.3*42.14/44.74.=25.996. Spit-balling, I think the Spurs would have like $18 Million if Tim and Manu retire and take no money while none of the free agents are kept. Might also include the pick being stashed or traded. In short, there'd still be a lot of work to do.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:42 AM
:claw
Kawhi is awesome this season no doubt, his best year ever by far.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Kawhi hates durant. Do people not see that in their matchup? Twice already this season kawhi has went hard on durant with a not so nice after shot attempt hard push.

The dudes hate each other...watch their recent 2 game matchup..dudes literrly trying to hurt each other. Not going to happen. Too much tension between kawhi and Durant.

Not to mention that Durant disdains Kawhi, the "System Player." Kawhi + Durant = fiasco, especially in the locker room. :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:44 AM
It's close enough to not matter, but based on current projections, Durant's max is $26.0 Million. That's off a $92-Million cap. 92*.3*42.14/44.74.=25.996. Spit-balling, I think the Spurs would have like $18 Million if Tim and Manu retire and take no money while none of the free agents are kept. Might also include the pick being stashed or traded. In short, there'd still be a lot of work to do.

Easy. Ship off Parker's $14.4 million cap hit, re-sign Tim and Manu to min contracts and sign the rest of our own free agents that want to stay for low amounts. Re-sign Miller at vet min, draft new starting PG, easy 65-70 win season.

Chinook
03-17-2016, 11:45 AM

Durant's issue is that he's been waiting patiently for James to get old so he could take the throne only to see Kawhi come out of nowhere and take the spot instead.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Durant's issue is that he's been waiting patiently for James to get old so he could take the throne only to see Kawhi come out of nowhere and take the spot instead.

Welp it's his fault for getting injured, he got that opportunity last year

DPG21920
03-17-2016, 11:48 AM

:lol So true. Then in the meantime he's watched his team sell off any real shot to win to save money.

DPG21920
03-17-2016, 11:50 AM
It can definitely "be done", but is it realistic? Probably not. It would likely take salary dumping TP along with Duncan/Gino retiring. I mean, it would definitely be the full blown transition into the future and I can see Tim/Manu retiring, but shipping TP off?

I have a hard time seeing them do that to TP. It can probably be done without shipping TP off (Tim/Manu/Boris/Mills gone), but would be tough.

It would be a funky lineup and you need Danny starting still IMO. PG/Danny/Kawhi/Durant/LMA. It would be small ball the majority of the time and a little odd.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 11:52 AM

I am no capologist, but it doesn't seem like the Spurs could realistically sign any max player without getting rid of Tony's contract. Otherwise you are gutting the team and, as you note, you still have to do something more.

LittleCriminal
03-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Put Kd at the Sf
Slide Kahwi to Sg
Cut or put green on the bench... or in a suit..
Trade Paker, Bonner for anybody..

So the Spurs end up with an 82-0 regular season/ championship starting five that looks like this..

Duncan
Aldridge
Durant
Kawhi
Chris Paul?

Where's the blue font located at?

coachmac87
03-17-2016, 11:55 AM
I mentioned this on my podcast right when the rumor broke about him going to GSW. Unlike many posters on this board I have faith in the FO. If both parties have mutual strong interest in each other..it's going to happen

sasaint
03-17-2016, 11:58 AM

You are right about one thing: except for small ball lineups Kawhi and Durant would not both be in the front court. However, there is no way we could afford half of the guys on your roster.

philldafunk
I saw this on my FB wall, had to get logged in to get the scoop. Wish I understood how salary cap stuff worked, I was under the impression it was impossible to have more than 2 max players on a team w/o completely losing all role players.

BatManu20
Parker is retiring a Spur.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QIx8PfYg6_U/VfAZjP1x8nI/AAAAAAAATyQ/LLQWBVjCAWc/s1600/drinking-vodka.gif

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 12:00 PM
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge / DWest (BDiaw) / Bertans
C - Al Horford / Boris Diaw (DWest) / Boban Marjanovic

FIFY. More realistic this way.

hater
03-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Fuck that faggot. Bring back Rasual Butler and call it an offseason

lefty
03-17-2016, 12:06 PM
I think Parker is retiring a Spur.
https://media.giphy.com/media/26FPzgftlRfgwkEw0/giphy.gif

Budkin
03-17-2016, 12:09 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QIx8PfYg6_U/VfAZjP1x8nI/AAAAAAAATyQ/LLQWBVjCAWc/s1600/drinking-vodka.gif

:lmao

TDomination
03-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Honestly i wouldn't care to get him. But if we did obviously i'd be happy.

But right now I'd rather the Spurs get a great defensive big (if timmy retires) Like Ibaka, Noah, Gobert, etc. to complement Kawhi and Lamarcus.

I love how the Spurs have really come back to being the best defensive team and i want them to stay that way.

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM
I think adding an all-time great shooter like Durant will be perfect for the system the Spurs build around Kawhi.

Darius Bieber
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM
inb4 NBA = fucked

Yeah it's a rumor and probably won't happen... But LMAO at posters saying they don't want him............. :lmao

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 12:13 PM
I would like to think that next year Boban becomes a Superstar, unguardable by all the bigs in the league, and a defensive anchor in the paint. Duncan and Ginobili ride off into the sunset with a championship. Tony decides to take his game seriously and doesn't play for France and fully commits himself to the Spurs. Maybe Kawhi develops Curry like handles and becomes our PG. Danny Green becomes 2013 Finals LDN. Boris Diaw is in 6th man discussions because he racks up 10 assists a game. Splitter instead of Bertans for the cheap just for fun (and he stays healthy coming off the bench). Mills remains fearless, and Simmons becomes Manu 2.0, and fuck it Belinelli comes back just as a dope ass 15th man. One can dream

edit: oh yeah and Durant comes around and becomes the perfect Spur, which inspires Pop to coach for 10 more years

timtonymanu
03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Longshot, no way the team dumps Parker. They couldn't even say goodbye to Bonner for Butler.

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Longshot, no way the team dumps Parker. They couldn't even say goodbye to Bonner for Butler.

This. Zero chance this team cuts its allegiance to Tony, sadly.

look_at_g_shred
03-17-2016, 12:16 PM
inb4 NBA = fucked

Yeah it's a rumor and probably won't happen... But LMAO at posters saying they don't want him............. :lmao

TheMulletMan3000
03-17-2016, 12:18 PM

Darius Bieber
03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
At this rate, Spurs probably gonna retire Danny Ferry's jersey so Durant can't have his #35.

NameLess Scrub
03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
What the frig is LDN?

Darius Bieber
03-17-2016, 12:22 PM
What the frig is LDN?

Danny Green. Long-Dick-N***a... Back when he used to make clutch three pointers.

BillMc
03-17-2016, 12:24 PM
He's no Jimmer.

NameLess Scrub
03-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Danny Green. Long-Dick-N***a... Back when he used to make clutch three pointers.

Thanks for clarifying.

tmtcsc
03-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Sheeeeit. I'm not a Durant fan but if the Spurs were to do this - Danny Green, Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Patty Mills would most likely be off the roster. You can live with Porker because you need essentially nothing from him on offense. I imagine the Spurs would have to move Green and Mills to make this happen financially.

I hate to say this but Lebron and his weird-ass, teenage drama tendencies would be a better fit in terms of basketball. If Lebron or Durant wanted to come to San Antonio they would need to take less $$ to do so.

Meh, fuck them both.

tmtcsc
03-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Durant should be chasing Spurs, not the other way around.

Horse
03-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Fuck that crybaby motherfucker

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 12:32 PM
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge / DWest (BDiaw) / Bertans
C - Al Horford / Boris Diaw (DWest) / Boban Marjanovic

Welcome 5-PEAT.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 12:33 PM
I think Parker is retiring a Spur.
They are gonna give money to David West.

==========

Therefore
Durant is not coming to SA.

I agree that Durant will not come to the Spurs. I agree that we will pay DWest to return. I am less certain that Tony retires a Spur. At a couple of points in his career the Spurs have considered trading Tony. True, he is no longer as "tradeable", especially with his contract. But he is definitely in Pop's doghouse at the moment. Perhaps he will pick up his play and work his way out of the doghouse, but that remains to be seen. He may be starting still, but Patty is doing more finishing. Going forward if Tony is a mere role player or second unit guy - you don't pay those type players $14MM. So, I am not 100% sure Tony retires a Spur.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 12:35 PM

:lol I don't know how to use the blue font, either!

sasaint
03-17-2016, 12:39 PM
I would like to think that next year Boban becomes a Superstar, unguardable by all the bigs in the league, and a defensive anchor in the paint. Duncan and Ginobili ride off into the sunset with a championship. Tony decides to take his game seriously and doesn't play for France and fully commits himself to the Spurs. Maybe Kawhi develops Curry like handles and becomes our PG. Danny Green becomes 2013 Finals LDN. Boris Diaw is in 6th man discussions because he racks up 10 assists a game. Splitter instead of Bertans for the cheap just for fun (and he stays healthy coming off the bench). Mills remains fearless, and Simmons becomes Manu 2.0, and fuck it Belinelli comes back just as a dope ass 15th man. One can dream

edit: oh yeah and Durant comes around and becomes the perfect Spur, which inspires Pop to coach for 10 more years

:lol That's a pipe dream. They are called pipe dreams because opium is smoked in a pipe!

wildbill2u
03-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Suppose Holt's wife--or her financial advisors--decide she should sell the team and rake in the millions of dollars in profit it would bring. Paying the luxury tax to add Durant would be a pittance and offset some of the taxes on the sale, no?

And the buyer would be getting a mega-team with Durant, Aldridge, Leonard, plus what's left of the Big 3 who might just be intrigued enough to stay around. And the new owners would no doubt feel justified in raising ticket prices. Would you pay to watch that team?

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Suppose Holt's wife--or her financial advisors--decide she should sell the team and rake in the millions of dollars in profit it would bring. Paying the luxury tax to add Durant would be a pittance and offset some of the taxes on the sale, no?

And the buyer would be getting a mega-team with Durant, Aldridge, Leonard, plus what's left of the Big 3 who might just be intrigued enough to stay around. And the new owners would no doubt feel justified in raising ticket prices. Would you pay to watch that team?

I would. No doubt. But I don't know why she couldn't do all of that by herself. There's no need to sell. If she or Spurs Sports Entertainment group want to do it they can do it.

San Antonio Slayer
03-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I believe Parker knows he sucks this year and I do believe he would never do same shit as Kobe did to Lakers in his last year in terms of the contract no matter how this season ends.

DPG21920
03-17-2016, 01:14 PM
I mean, while the money may not be quite the same, Hoford is going to get his max as well. Financially not any easier to get Horford than KD.

Mugen
03-17-2016, 01:16 PM

:lol

SAGirl
03-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Well, we would be a completely different team. I think rival execs have realized that with Timmy and Manu likely retiring, unlike in the past, the Spurs are players in free agency.

It's doable if you waive Diaw and/or trade Danny, but he doesn't make sense for us. Wing players are kind of an area of strength, meanwhile we are weak in guards when our best guard would be 39 yr old Manu if he returns next season, probably on minutes restrictions, sitting B2B etc and frankly he may retire. And Tony is beyond the point of no return, at such a stage that we are starting to consider Patty Mills starting, closing games etc. Simply put, we need a young stud at the PG spot. Then you have Simmons. He's not looking so far like a rotation player in a good team. He has a lot to work on.

Then we probably need 1 defensive big man to play center next to LMA at least part of the game if Timmy doesn't return.

If we were to get him, you absolutely have to trade Danny bc moving him to the bench while paying him $10 doesn't make any sense. He's not going to be a 6th man and he would not get many minutes anyways playing behind both Kawhi and Durant. You can play him with this group if you have Durant at the 4 but that would only be a few minutes per game and you also have Anderson able to play the 2-4 in a very cheap contract and still improving his game so you don't need Danny in that scenario. I'd say Danny would need to be traded and maybe we get a ball handler for him.

Diaw could be waived to get cap space, specially if he doesn't show up this postseason.

So overall, really nit impossible, but it doesn't address our areas of need.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Well, we would be a completely different team. I think rival execs have realized that with Timmy and Manu likely retiring, unlike in the past, the Spurs are players in free agency.

It's doable if you waive Diaw and/or trade Danny, but he doesn't make sense for us. Wing players are kind of an area of strength, meanwhile we are weak in guards when our best guard would be 39 yr old Manu if he returns next season, probably on minutes restrictions, sitting B2B etc and frankly he may retire. And Tony is beyond the point of no return, at such a stage that we are starting to consider Patty Mills starting, closing games etc. Simply put, we need a young stud at the PG spot. Then you have Simmons. He's not looking so far like a rotation player in a good team. He has a lot to work on.

Then we probably need 1 defensive big man to play center next to LMA at least part of the game if Timmy doesn't return.

If we were to get him, you absolutely have to trade Danny bc moving him to the bench while paying him $10 doesn't make any sense. He's not going to be a 6th man and he would not get many minutes anyways playing behind both Kawhi and Durant. You can play him with this group if you have Durant at the 4 but that would only be a few minutes per game and you also have Anderson able to play the 2-4 in a very cheap contract and still improving his game so you don't need Danny in that scenario. I'd say Danny would need to be traded and maybe we get a ball handler for him.

Diaw could be waived to get cap space, specially if he doesn't show up this postseason.

So overall, really nit impossible, but it doesn't address our areas of need.

Paying Danny $10MM to come off the bench makes more sense than paying Tony $14MM. Obviously neither is good, but I do not know what PATFO's thinking is or how likely we are to rid ourselves of Tony's bad contract. It seems more likely in March than it did in October.

SAGirl
03-17-2016, 01:26 PM

I feel like this is true. Although Kawhi loves the sport and will go hard at everybody, Durant's public tweets about Kawhi being a system player + Kawhi besting him and winnings the championship and FMVP during Durants MVP season have fueled the rivalry. I don't think Durant would like to play second fiddle to Kawhi quite honestly.

T Park
03-17-2016, 01:26 PM

A. They wouldn't pursue him if they didn't already know he was leaving. IMO.

B. I'd say they'd salary dump Danny Green before Parker, also would be easier to move along with the cap "shooting" up next year, should be sufficient space, along with many retiring and Duncan if he came back, taking the minimum.

barakz21
03-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Assuming the Spurs do get Durant.. Damn. A new big 3.. And killer small ball too.

SAGirl
03-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Paying Danny $10MM to come off the bench makes more sense than paying Tony $14MM. Obviously neither is good, but I do not know what PATFO's thinking is or how likely we are to rid ourselves of Tony's bad contract. It seems more likely in March than it did in October.
It will probably be much easier to move Danny's contract than Tonys. I feel like Tonys would have to be dumped and we'd have to give up sweeteners. Meanwhile Danny can get us an asset and his talents would be wasted in the bench.

sasaint
03-17-2016, 01:33 PM
It will probably be much easier to move Danny's contract than Tonys. I feel like Tonys would have to be dumped and we'd have to give up sweeteners. Meanwhile Danny can get us an asset and his talents would be wasted in the bench.

I totally agree. To me that means we should do both! Trade Danny for an upgrade at PG or for a good big AND move Tony's contract for the best possible deal. Perhaps we can double down with Bud! :lol

Mnky
03-17-2016, 01:39 PM
It's funny this came up. I honestly wanted to say it looked like Durant was trying out for the spurs last game. Dude was bei a point small forward, got plenty of assist and no TOs going into the 4th, and he was playing pretty good defense, compared to his normal play. He seemed to be doing all the little things he never did before against the spurs.. and then the comments he made about being excited for pop to coach the Olympic team..

:stirpot:

baseline bum
03-17-2016, 01:40 PM

B. I'd say they'd salary dump Danny Green before Parker, also would be easier to move along with the cap "shooting" up next year, should be sufficient space, along with many retiring and Duncan if he came back, taking the minimum.

With Durant being a 30% of the cap free agent it would be doable salary dumping Green and Mills, and cutting Diaw if West wants to play another year. I made that post under the assumption Durant would be a 35% cap free agent, but he is one year short of that. Though if I'm Durant I sign a one year deal and then sign a long term deal starting about $36 million a year in the summer of 2017.

Raven
03-17-2016, 01:41 PM
lol, writer should be fired.

wildbill2u
03-17-2016, 01:44 PM
I would. No doubt. But I don't know why she couldn't do all of that by herself. There's no need to sell. If she or Spurs Sports Entertainment group want to do it they can do it.

True, there is no need to sell. Peter Holt was the perfect owner, picking good people to run his franchise without interfering. If Holt was invisible, who knew he had a wife? There aren't many lady CEO's of sports teams who got there because of their love of the sport, mostly they inherit from husbands. And most sell out, sooner rather than later if they screw it up. As far as I know, there isn't another Holt in line to inherit the team, so that contingency doesn't exist.

According to Forbes, the operating profit is over 30 million per year, but the big number is the 1.15 BILLION valuation. This is #11 in the NBA because all the top 10 most valuable franchises are in large market cities. The purchase price by Holt was only 76 million. So, I'm just saying, this could be the peak time for the Holts to sell. And if they could package a really super team by adding Durant--or someone of that caliber--it would be a very sweet deal for some investor who wanted to move the team to another big market town and double his value overnight.

PopTheGOAT
03-17-2016, 01:52 PM
If this possible deal involves moving any long term Spurs, it would not happen. The team is just too loyal. I feel like they could make it work, though. It will come down to whether or not KD wants to be a Spur and play in a system. I don't see him as the "system" type. I think it'd be great though

DeRozan m8
03-17-2016, 01:56 PM
None of this makes sense...none of it

Chillen
03-17-2016, 01:58 PM
He'd have to accept $12m on a 2 year deal to keep the core of Leonard, Aldridge, Green, Parker. If the Spurs could sign Durant, pretty sure Duncan would be back, not sure about Manu but I'd say yeah. Spurs are already this good without him, so if he bought into the system, Aldridge, Leonard, Durant would be a nightmare big 3 for any NBA team to deal with. Spurs need to pursue this if he wants to be a Spur.

Dex
I think it is likely that the Spurs will inquire about Durant.

Just like 29 other teams will.

spurraider21
Welp, lets get this shit on the road...

Would Durant be a better PG than Porker?
Should Leonard be taking more shots than Durant?
Was Durant worth it?
Can Durant play backup SF?
:lmao gold

TheGreatYacht
03-17-2016, 02:01 PM
No matter how bad Parker's contract is, it won't be worse than 2013 Ginobili. Spurs paid that faggot 14M for 8 turnovers :pctoss:

lefty
03-17-2016, 02:01 PM
A beel tlead

Vito Corleone
03-17-2016, 02:02 PM
I think a much more realistic target (and someone I'd love to have if Timmy retires) is Al Horford. Would be a perfect fit alongside LMA.

BINGO, we have a winner. Horford would be a major get for San Antonio and extremely realistic.

The only way SA gets Durant is if we trade Green and move the hand to SG. This would be a scary team with Aldridge Durant and Leonard.

TheGreatYacht
03-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Al Horford would be a terrible fit next to LMA :lol no rim protection, and he's about as bad at rebounding as Amare.

Dwight/Whiteside/Noah, those are the players you want replacing Duncan.

Chillen
03-17-2016, 02:04 PM
BINGO, we have a winner. Horford would be a major get for San Antonio and extremely realistic.

The only way SA gets Durant is if we trade Green and move the hand to SG. This would be a scary team with Aldridge Durant and Leonard.

Well it's worth it, the Spurs need to make this happen! That big 3 would dominate the NBA for years to come.

Chillen
03-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Al Horford would be a terrible fit next to LMA :lol no rim protection, and he's about as bad as Amare at rebounding.

No to Noah, dude will breakdown.

DPG21920
03-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Horford would be a fine fit with SA and LMA/Kawhi. I don't know if he's worth the money, but fit I think he would be excellent.

TheGreatYacht
03-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Pop isn't going to try to outbid Coach Bud for Horford. Not gonna happen unless Atlanta brings Dwight back home.

DPG21920
03-17-2016, 02:16 PM
What will be interesting to see is:

1. Now that a big time FA did what everyone says the want to do (play for Pop/SA), will that trigger others being open?
2. If SA is now a legit player money-wise and on "even" playing field, does that really signal the start of FA's coming?
3. Kawhi/LMA/DG is still a relatively young core that should be able to compete for 3-5 years, attractive to win-now guys?
4. Pop coaching team USA and having access and influence. Will that make stars want to give SA a look being next to Pop?

Lot's of things to consider however, with money, Pop and Kawhi/LMA SA has the makings of an attractive FA market over the next 3-5 years.

BatManu20
03-17-2016, 02:17 PM
Al Horford would be a terrible fit next to LMA :lol no rim protection, and he's about as bad at rebounding as Amare.

Huh? Horford would be a great fit in SA, both on the court and personality-wise. How would an efficient stretch-5 who plays defense and rebounds be a bad fit?

buttsR4rebounding
03-17-2016, 02:27 PM

If this were to ever happen Duncan retires and you have to trade DG for a draft pick which would be easy to do with everyone swimming in cap space. likely would not have West return as he would surely want a raise of some type.

PopTheGOAT
03-17-2016, 02:31 PM
Huh? Horford would be a great fit in SA, both on the court and personality-wise. How would an efficient stretch-5 who plays defense and rebounds be a bad fit?
I agree with this, my only concern is if he's worth the price

steeledl
03-17-2016, 02:38 PM
If Duncan and ginobili retire will they be off of our books ? What are options there. KD,kawhi, lmalpha would be amazing to see

buttsR4rebounding
03-17-2016, 02:39 PM

The Spurs will not dump Parker. He has been loyal to the Spurs. He took an under market contract before this one. This one is just evening that out. If Duncan comes back for the minimum look for him to buy into the Spurs ownership the following year on a sweetheart deal like DRob did.

YGWHI
03-17-2016, 02:43 PM
It's funny this came up. I honestly wanted to say it looked like Durant was trying out for the spurs last game. Dude was bei a point small forward, got plenty of assist and no TOs going into the 4th, and he was playing pretty good defense, compared to his normal play. He seemed to be doing all the little things he never did before against the spurs.. and then the comments he made about being excited for pop to coach the Olympic team..

:stirpot:

In that 4th quarter Kawhi scored 9 of his 26 and we saw things like this...

It's pretty obvious that if KD wants to win a ring he would rather to have Kawhi as teammate than Kawhi being his biggest nemesis.

steeledl
03-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Fuck I want this to happen. I wish no one put this thought in my head.... I will only be let down

steeledl
03-17-2016, 02:45 PM
also, we have pop . Wouldn't have to worry about Durants ego ... Players buy into Pop and his system. He is our biggest asset .

TheGreatYacht
03-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Horford doesn't rebound and he won't fill Duncan's role defensively. A regressing player who isn't worth max money, imo.

Noah and Dwight have won DPOY, and Whiteside is the best shot blocker in the league. Noah is looking washed but he won't require max money and the team wont have to lose its depth. It's a gamble, but I trust Pop will manage his minutes and GP

SouthernFried
03-17-2016, 02:48 PM
How's his D?

steeledl
03-17-2016, 02:52 PM
How's his D?

Good And it would get better in our system...... The length on our team would be tremendous

steeledl
03-17-2016, 02:54 PM
He doesn't come if we ring this year...... Would you trade a ring for Kawhi-Durant on the wing for 5 years. I would ..... Shamefully

Mnky
03-17-2016, 03:01 PM
In that 4th quarter Kawhi scored 9 of his 26 and we saw things like this...

It's pretty obvious that if KD wants to win a ring he would rather to have Kawhi as teammate than Kawhi being his biggest nemesis.

I agree any guard or forward would rather have Kawhi with them than against..
The emphasis was that Durant was actually guarding him tho. It started early too which surprised me how into it Durant was. Kawhi also threw up two bricks on him and Durant had a clean block on Kawhi strongest drive.

In the past, Durant would be nowhere near Kawhi. Made me think he was showing pop what he has foe the Olympics or free agency tbh.

dabom
03-17-2016, 03:11 PM
You go for KD. That is top 3 talent. Kawhi ain't gonna get his jimmies rustled because the Spurs go after KD. He knows you need talent to win.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-17-2016, 03:17 PM
He doesn't come if we ring this year...... Would you trade a ring for Kawhi-Durant on the wing for 5 years. I would ..... Shamefully

You're an idiot then. I would take a ring this year, Tim and Manu ride off into the sunset together as champions (Tim with #6), and then worry about things from there.

PopTheGOAT
03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Horford doesn't rebound and he won't fill Duncan's role defensively. A regressing player who isn't worth max money, imo.

Noah and Dwight have won DPOY, and Whiteside is the best shot blocker in the league. Noah is looking washed but he won't require max money and the team wont have to lose its depth. It's a gamble, but I trust Pop will manage his minutes and GP
Noah's health worries me, Dwight and Whiteside are both cancers. Horford is easily the best fit, but I agree he isn't worth max money. I say unleash the Boban tbh

baseline bum
03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
You're an idiot then. I would take a ring this year, Tim and Manu ride off into the sunset together as champions (Tim with #6), and then worry about things from there.

Yeah, I'd take a ring this year and 10 years of lottery over that.

DPG21920
03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I'd take a ring this year and 10 years of lottery over that.

HarlemHeat37
03-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Dominos Durant is one of the softest players I've ever seen, so it wouldn't surprise me if he killed his legacy by joining the most successful franchise in the NBA, rather than leading a team on his own, tbh:lol

He already begs Russ to take the burden and pressure of being the lead guy..he would fit well with Kawhi, Pop and maybe the big 3 taking the pressure off his pimply ass..

PopTheGOAT
03-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Is it possible to restructure Parker's deal? I was thinking, he's making $14.4 mil this year, $15.4 next year in his last year of the deal. Could they rework it to where they extend him 1-2 years then back load it even more? Pay less next season to free up money to sign KD, then in the season after that, the cap will increase and allow the money to pay TP's back loaded deal. Just a thought.

I don't really like the idea of paying even more money to Parker when he's even older, but if it means we get KD, I'm all for it

InRareForm
03-17-2016, 03:32 PM
This is the Warriors counter ?

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 03:34 PM
What will be interesting to see is:
4. Pop coaching team USA and having access and influence. Will that make stars want to give SA a look being next to Pop?

Called it ---> POP & USA BASKETBALL; NEW FAs TO SAN ANTONIO? (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253455)

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Is it possible to restructure Parker's deal? I was thinking, he's making $14.4 mil this year, $15.4 next year in his last year of the deal. Could they rework it to where they extend him 1-2 years then back load it even more? Pay less next season to free up money to sign KD, then in the season after that, the cap will increase and allow the money to pay TP's back loaded deal. Just a thought.

I don't really like the idea of paying even more money to Parker when he's even older, but if it means we get KD, I'm all for it

No.

Taking it to the Hole
03-17-2016, 03:48 PM
There are not enough shots per game in our system for the Spurs to accommodate Durant and his chucking. Just saying what we all know he is.

dabom
03-17-2016, 03:50 PM
There are not enough shots per game in our system for the Spurs to accommodate Durant and his chucking. Just saying what we all know he is.

Durant is not a chucker bro. Like not even close.

dabom
03-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Slip up but it's fine bro.

cjw
03-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Not to mention the Lamarcus and Kawhi contracts are no longer the same level of max contracts under a rising cap. At an $89 million cap, they only take up 23% and 20% of the cap respectively. If it goes up to $108 million in 2017-18 (when Durant can command the $30+ million 10+ year player deal), it's a much lower percentage of the cap and a totally different ballgame.

Without moving one of the $10mm plus salaries, and assuming everyone else either opts out (Duncan, Manu, West) or is not renewed / is renounced / traded (Diaw has a $3mm guarantee), and then assuming minimum cap holds, the payroll would be $66.5 million committed (Aldridge, Leonard, Parker, Green and 7 cap holds). That leaves only around $22.5 million for Durant. Not enough. Green would almost certainly need to be shipped out to fit Durant as we know Parker wouldn't be. Not advocating that, but just how the numbers shake out.

Best chance I see is if he opts in like most think he will, and then hits the market the following year:
- Aldridge / Leonard / Parker / Green combine for $65.8 million
- Diaw is a nice asset (he can be traded if playing well to create space, or can be cut for nothing post-free agency, so might bring future value back in a three teamer that lets another team cut salary)
- Mills' cap hold is pretty high at $6.8 million. I'll assume he goes to create space
- Anderson and Simmons would have combined cap figures/holds of $2.4 million, so assume they'd be kept around even though could technically create more space by moving them

That means six players signed at $68.2 million. Five more holds at the league minimum adds $2.9 million to that. $71.0mm vs. $108mm cap means $37mm of space, which is more than enough to sign Durant to the full max. In fact, they could get away with resigning Patty at around $5 million and still have $31mm, so just slightly under max money for Durant.

r0drig0lac
03-17-2016, 03:56 PM

what?

TheGreatYacht
03-17-2016, 04:07 PM
Yeah, KD is one of the most efficient players in the league. Him chucking (which he doesn't) isn't exactly a bad thing

Baseline21
03-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Honestly how Parker has been playing thses last couple years, I see RC and pop telling tony we need to restructure his contract even though it's never been done before in NBA or looked to just give him away for a draft pick. I'm telling u pop isn't playing around with just sitting back and let Kawhi's talent go to waste. He sees another Duncan mind set in Kawhi and not going to let LMA just rot on team. They didn't just drop $84mil and $94mil to have those talents go to waste. I could see pop and RC coming up with a trade like Parker/green for something to. If warriors win it all this year, they have to go all in to win it all again. If Durant went to warriors then everyone fucked but our only hope would be to sign James to at least have the regular season worth watching. My bet he stays in OKC for a long term contract. But I'll say this that Russell on the other hand would leave in 2017. That would be funny if Durant signs a 5yr deal and then the next year Russell bolts to another team. Durant would be in the same boat of Carmelo but with some better players compared to the Knicks.

Obstructed_View
03-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Okay.

Taking it to the Hole
03-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Yeah, KD is one of the most efficient players in the league. Him chucking (which he doesn't) isn't exactly a bad thing

I didn't say that he is not good in shot selection, but I am saying he takes a high volume of shots. I think you already have two primarily iso players in KL and LMA and you are going to add a third option to that? I just think he would take touches away from KL because he needs to have the ball in his hands.

TrainOfThought5
03-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Cant wait till this becomes JUST enough of a realistic pipe dream for people to take it seriously and become emotionally invested.

This is gonna be better than the Pau Gasol thread.

$pursDynasty
03-17-2016, 04:43 PM
It all depends on how the playoffs turn out, were the Dubs to win this year, KD going there would be called the ultimate Beta move, why not come to the Spurs to stop the evil empire? The same people that would deride him for going to the Dubs would praise him for choosing us. What if however we win it all this year (because I still believe that we can)? Then how does that change the dynamic? For me it would depend after we grab 6 do some of our OG's ride off into the sunset or does Timmay say, "why not 7?" Then the KD move becomes more unlikely. Were the Dubs to win and KD goes there I could see LBJ coming here but were we to win this year, all bets would be off. I would assume everyone stays where they are because the belief would be "the Spurs are too old we can wait them out"

TheGreatYacht
03-17-2016, 04:46 PM
I didn't say that he is not good in shot selection, but I am saying he takes a high volume of shots. I think you already have two primarily iso players in KL and LMA and you are going to add a third option to that? I just think he would take touches away from KL because he needs to have the ball in his hands.
If Kawhi's 3pt shooting isn't just a one season anomaly, I think he'd be a great fit next to KD. Durant isn't a diva who wants the last shot, he's willing to take a backseat every now and then tbh.

But all this is pointless because it won't happen :lol

SpurPadre
03-17-2016, 05:04 PM
If Kawhi's 3pt shooting isn't just a one season anomaly, I think he'd be a great fit next to KD. Durant isn't a diva who wants the last shot, he's willing to take a backseat every now and then tbh.

But all this is pointless because it won't happen :lol

Because he thinks Kawhi is worse than Bonner, tbh.

SAGirl
03-17-2016, 05:08 PM
This is why the low usage, blue collar stuff, hustle guys like Danny, or glue, versatile all around players like Kyle are underrated. They do all the little things that help your stars win games, and take only the shots they need to take. Adding an offensive player does not add more offense unless it were to come from a guard where we are very weak with Manu about to retire and Tony looking spent.

dabom
03-17-2016, 05:17 PM
This is why the low usage, blue collar stuff, hustle guys like Danny, or glue, versatile all around players like Kyle are underrated. They do all the little things that help your stars win games, and take only the shots they need to take. Adding an offensive player does not add more offense unless it were to come from a guard where we are very weak with Manu about to retire and Tony looking spent.

No they are not. :lmao

They are rated what they are. Good role players. Except Kyle. He is trash.

Seventyniner
03-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Honestly how Parker has been playing thses last couple years, I see RC and pop telling tony we need to restructure his contract even though it's never been done before in NBA or looked to just give him away for a draft pick. I'm telling u pop isn't playing around with just sitting back and let Kawhi's talent go to waste. He sees another Duncan mind set in Kawhi and not going to let LMA just rot on team. They didn't just drop $84mil and $94mil to have those talents go to waste. I could see pop and RC coming up with a trade like Parker/green for something to. If warriors win it all this year, they have to go all in to win it all again. If Durant went to warriors then everyone fucked but our only hope would be to sign James to at least have the regular season worth watching. My bet he stays in OKC for a long term contract. But I'll say this that Russell on the other hand would leave in 2017. That would be funny if Durant signs a 5yr deal and then the next year Russell bolts to another team. Durant would be in the same boat of Carmelo but with some better players compared to the Knicks.

An existing contract cannot be renegotiated downward.

Canyonero
03-17-2016, 05:35 PM
That would be insane imho.

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 05:35 PM
I didn't say that he is not good in shot selection, I am saying he takes a high volume of shots. I think you already have two primarily iso players in KL and LMA and you are going to add a third option to that? I just think he would take touches away from KL because he needs to have the ball in his hands.

Because in OKC he needs to. Just like LaMarcus did in Portland.

If you have the remote possibility of adding Kevin Durant to your squad, you just go for it.

bic50
03-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Obviously it's not going to happen. But kawhi is a team guy, I'm sure he could put whatever issues he has with durant behind him and be a great teammate.

Uriel
03-17-2016, 05:43 PM
This contradicts an earlier Buck Harvey report that the Spurs will stand pat this offseason, and chase their next big superstar a couple of years from now.

OrEmuN
03-17-2016, 05:43 PM
KD taking a paycut?
Unless that occurs, this signing is not happening.

bic50
03-17-2016, 05:45 PM
Honestly i wouldn't care to get him. But if we did obviously i'd be happy.

But right now I'd rather the Spurs get a great defensive big (if timmy retires) Like Ibaka, Noah, Gobert, etc. to complement Kawhi and Lamarcus.

I love how the Spurs have really come back to being the best defensive team and i want them to stay that way.

Rather have gobert over ibaka Noah for sure

spursparker9
03-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Just waive Enrique

look_at_g_shred
03-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Because in OKC he needs to. Just like LaMarcus did in Portland.

If you have the remote possibility of adding Kevin Durant to your squad, you just go for it.
My sentiments exactly. It's funny how this time last year we were rumored to go after LMA/Gasol. Maybe there's some truth to it. I think if both parties wanted to, both would find a way.

r0drig0lac
03-17-2016, 06:31 PM

SpursforSix
03-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Durant is really only doable if the Spurs salary dump Parker in the offseason, assuming Duncan and Ginobili both retire.

Ok. I don't want to see Timmy and Manu retire but the time is coming. If they do both decide to retire and the only reason we can't make a run at Durant is Parker's albatross salary...

SpursforSix
03-17-2016, 06:53 PM
KD taking a paycut?

Durant strikes me as someone who would give up a little if it meant a ring.

Mugen
03-17-2016, 06:55 PM
Last thing we need is ol' Pizza Face distracting our starting PG even more tbh.

baseline bum
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Ok. I don't want to see Timmy and Manu retire but the time is coming. If they do both decide to retire and the only reason we can't make a run at Durant is Parker's albatross salary...

I think RC would try to salary dump Parker to get that max slot if Duncan and Ginobili are retiring. If they stay another year obviously the Spurs will keep the team together.

SpursforSix
03-17-2016, 07:00 PM
I think RC would try to salary dump Parker to get that max slot if Duncan and Ginobili are retiring. If they stay another year obviously the Spurs will keep the team together.

And I'm OK with that I think. Of course a ring this year would make it all more tolerable if them wheels fall off. But that might also make a retirement decision easier for Timmy and Manu. In any event, it's fun to think about Durant in SA but gotta finish this season first.

baseline bum
03-17-2016, 07:02 PM
And I'm OK with that I think. Of course a ring this year would make it all more tolerable if them wheels fall off. But that might also make a retirement decision easier for Timmy and Manu. In any event, it's fun to think about Durant in SA but gotta finish this season first.

Or maybe they dump Green if they really believe they can get Durant. He wouldn't make a whole lot of sense on a team with Leonard/Durant/Aldridge at 2-3-4. Green is pretty much wasted as a bench player since you want him guarding the other team's best guard.

baseline bum
03-17-2016, 07:04 PM
But god damn I would hate losing Danny Green. You obviously do it for Durant, but defenders like him aren't easy to find. Think of how long those years seemed trying to find someone to replace Elliott's defense until they finally landed Bowen. And then how long it took them to replace Bowen's defense before they got Leonard.

SpursforSix
03-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Or maybe they dump Green if they really believe they can get Durant. He wouldn't make a whole lot of sense on a team with Leonard/Durant/Aldridge at 2-3-4. Green is pretty much wasted as a bench player since you want him guarding the other team's best guard.

I don't know all the salary number and ramifications like you seem to. But that seems like a no brainier if it gets Durant. That being said, I can see it ending up as too many scorers and not enough touches for someone if they had KL, Durant, and LA. Leonard seems like the ultimate team player but it might be tough for him for his trajectory to possible flatten.

tholdren
03-17-2016, 07:11 PM

if the spurs ring duncan, gino, west retire. i assume west stays if they get close. tony won't get dumped obviously. everyone will chase durant, but no saying if he would take a cut to play for spurs.

baseline bum
03-17-2016, 07:22 PM
if the spurs ring duncan, gino, west retire. i assume west stays if they get close. tony won't get dumped obviously. everyone will chase durant, but no saying if he would take a cut to play for spurs.

Kevin Durant isn't taking a pay cut short of the one players have to take to switch teams. And nor should he, he's an obvious max player.

dbreiden83080
03-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Don't want him. This is Leonard's team now.. He has been a serious rival for years at this point. Re-sign in OKC.

TheGreatYacht
03-17-2016, 07:31 PM
:cry come back to Texas :cry

james evans
03-17-2016, 07:41 PM
The Spurs will never trade or cut Parker tbh. They are loyal to a fault unfortunately and will see his contract fully over the next two years as his production continues to decline.
exactly. and that's a problem. But if i were in charge, parker's ass would be gone with the quickness. Waive his ass and re-sign him while giving him money under the table. If he aint with it, fuk him.

dabom
03-17-2016, 07:48 PM
exactly. and that's a problem. But if i were in charge, parker's ass would be gone with the quickness. Waive his ass and re-sign him while giving him money under the table. If he aint with it, fuk him.

More HEB commercials. Done deal. :lol

sasaint
03-17-2016, 08:25 PM

The end result is the same: Durant ain't coming to SA. However, my assumptions are different than yours. I believe it is almost 100% certain Manu is gone whether we win the LOBT or not. I believe Timmy's retirement is a little less certain and slightly more dependent upon winning the LOBT. I expect West to return unless we win it all and Timmy retires. I do not believe Tony is a lock to return. Lately his level of play is adequate as 2nd unit PG; you don't pay that type player $14MM. Unless he really finds new life, I think he is expendable - even in the eyes of PATFO.

CGD
03-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Better scenario: Let the Wiz go after/get KD and poach Beal

GSH
03-17-2016, 08:35 PM

I'ma quit reading right there. There's not going to be anything meaningful added to that.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 08:47 PM

Do we go after Ariza, too?

AFMadison
03-17-2016, 08:53 PM
:lol That's a pipe dream. They are called pipe dreams because opium is smoked in a pipe!
:lol

CGD
03-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Do we go after Ariza, too?

I mentioned Beal bc he'd be a more logical fit at the 2 than KD in my opinion. Also the Spurs where rumored to be making calls about him during his draft.

TrainOfThought5
03-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Durant is not a chucker bro. Like not even close.

We would have too much talent in the starting lineup. You think Durant would mind coming off the bench ginobili style?

UNT Eagles 2016
03-17-2016, 09:00 PM
I mentioned Beal bc he'd be a more logical fit at the 2 than KD in my opinion. Also the Spurs where rumored to be making calls about him during his draft.

You don't get the inside joke. It's okay.

CGD
03-17-2016, 09:11 PM
You don't get the inside joke. It's okay.

Yeah I must've missed that one.

dabom
03-17-2016, 10:07 PM
We would have too much talent in the starting lineup. You think Durant would mind coming off the bench ginobili style?

No. Danny would though. No team would be able to guard a

Tony, kawhi, durant, LMa, Boban lineup.

Any SG defending Kawhi or Durant is in an automatic disadvantage.

Hoops Czar
03-17-2016, 10:09 PM
Damn, Spurstalk paid for this article's publication. Well done CBS.

Mnky
03-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Yeah I must've missed that one.

Certain kawhifans wanted to trade Kawhi for beal and ariza his rookie year.

Beal will run the max and hasn't been healthy in a good while. I don't think he would be worth it. He has had trouble playing second fiddle to john wall as well.

TrainOfThought5
03-17-2016, 10:18 PM
KD taking a paycut?

KD has already made a lot of money from OKC plus endorsement. if he was ever gonna take a pay cut and win some rings and create a big 3 dynasty of his own, the time is now, the place is here, and Kawhi and LMA are the right ones to do it with. everyone keeps fretting about the salary cap, but if he came here, taking a pay cut would mean a lot to endearing him to the Fanbase and ensuring his success.

HarlemHeat37
03-17-2016, 10:19 PM

Beal is probably the most overrated player in the league, tbh..most Wizards fans have turned on him, if you check their forums:lol

TrainOfThought5
03-17-2016, 10:19 PM
No. Danny would though. No team would be able to guard a

Tony, kawhi, durant, LMa, Boban lineup.

Any SG defending Kawhi or Durant is in an automatic disadvantage.

Any 2,3, or 4, really.

bigfan
03-17-2016, 10:26 PM
There is about as much chance as my 60 year old ass playing for the Spurs next year as KD. I'd love to have him a Spur but there is just no way in hell.

dg7md
03-17-2016, 10:30 PM
If Durant is smart, he will join us not only return to Texas but for a chance to become the team to actually be able to dominate Golden State. Durant wants to win, clearly, otherwise he would just stay in OKC where he can live comfortably as a future HOFer without ever achieving a ring.

All of this is moot if OKC finds a way to the Finals, though. If we can get to the Finals this year (preferably win), then I think Durant might take our signing chances more seriously. Durant should realize that if he retires with multiple rings he can go down as one of the best players ever, and could even usurp LeBron if he has more rings than him, otherwise he might become an Alex English type legend.

Kawhi, Durant, and Aldridge could be as impactful in this eras NBA as Kobe and Shaq were in the 2000s. That's not something he should discount just because he can get more money on a losing franchise.

OrEmuN
03-17-2016, 10:53 PM
KD has already made a lot of money from OKC plus endorsement. if he was ever gonna take a pay cut and win some rings and create a big 3 dynasty of his own, the time is now, the place is here, and Kawhi and LMA are the right ones to do it with. everyone keeps fretting about the salary cap, but if he came here, taking a pay cut would mean a lot to endearing him to the Fanbase and ensuring his success.

If that happens I agree that it is natural for fanbase to adore him.
I just don't see it with KD though

Kawhitstorm
03-17-2016, 11:03 PM

The Wizards have shitty LONG TERM contract situations w/ Gortat/Markieff.

Kawhitstorm
03-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Kawhi, Durant, and Aldridge could be as impactful in this eras NBA as Kobe and Shaq were in the 2000s. That's not something he should discount just because he can get more money on a losing franchise.

Shaq changed conferences after the 72 Bulls swept the Magic & Durant might do the same by abandoning an elite teammate ala Shaq/Penny.

Chillen
03-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Durant would look so bad ass in a Spurs uniform, kind of like Jordan wearing a Bulls jersey, Bird wearing a Celtics jersey, Magic wearing a Lakers jersey, the mere sight would put fear into the opponent.

TheDoctor
03-17-2016, 11:16 PM
Durant would look so bad ass in a Spurs uniform, kind of like Jordan wearing a Bulls jersey, Bird wearing a Celtics jersey, Magic wearing a Lakers jersey, the mere sight would put fear into the opponent.
http://i.imgur.com/9KacNAU.gif

Chillen
03-17-2016, 11:17 PM

Yep, just awesome.

jdelar03
03-17-2016, 11:34 PM
Fuck durant he isn't a Spur and never will be...he wishes

skulls138
03-18-2016, 12:01 AM
Kawhi, KA and Durant are about the same position. KA could turn into something great. I see the potential.

dabom
03-18-2016, 12:21 AM
Kawhi, KA and Durant are about the same position. KA could turn into something great. I see the potential.

One is not like the others. :lol

HarlemHeat37
03-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Fuck durant he isn't a Spur and never will be...he wishes

Respect, tbh..fuck that puberty-skin pussy..

SAGirl
03-18-2016, 12:25 AM
I see it too and he's a better fit next to kawhi and lma, bc the two of them are scorers whereas Kyle is a playmaker, and very versatile at that.

sexinthatsx
03-18-2016, 01:07 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2007/01/25/durant.jpg
http://sportschump.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/LaMarcus-at-UT.jpg
TBCH

skulls138
03-18-2016, 01:09 AM
I see it too and he's a better fit next to kawhi and lma, bc the two of them are scorers whereas Kyle is a playmaker, and very versatile at that.Theres definitely still some ifs and buts, mainly his 3 pt shot and just being responsible for major minutes but hes better than most people thought on defense while keeping what hes good at intact.

Kawhitstorm
03-18-2016, 01:39 AM

Dick Jefferson 2.0:nope

DenialTwist
03-18-2016, 02:34 AM
This would never happen. Spurs can't afford Durant without letting go of Danny and Boris and this would mean Duncan and Manu would retire as well. Also if the Warriors repeat, he will definitely go there before the Spurs. He is childhood friends with Curry.

99 Problems
03-18-2016, 04:36 AM
I'd rather Rusle Westbruk.

PublicOption
03-18-2016, 04:46 AM
I would rather have the greek freak.

r0drig0lac
03-18-2016, 05:04 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2007/01/25/durant.jpg
http://sportschump.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/LaMarcus-at-UT.jpg
TBCH

https://media.giphy.com/media/nqRJTIwsBftG8/giphy.gif

Chillen
03-18-2016, 08:43 AM
This would never happen. Spurs can't afford Durant without letting go of Danny and Boris and this would mean Duncan and Manu would retire as well. Also if the Warriors repeat, he will definitely go there before the Spurs. He is childhood friends with Curry.

Seriously? if that's all it takes to possibly acquire Kevin Durant, letting go of Diaw, Green. You do it. Duncan would probably be back for the vet. min if they can sign Durant.

apalisoc_9
03-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Meh..kawhi lives off competition....fuck Durant.

TheDoctor
03-18-2016, 09:02 AM
Durant in a black Spurs uni = The true Slim Reaper tbh

Kikoluna
03-18-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm not crazy about durant. Especially if it means forcing Tim and manu out the door. Loyalty to those 2 above all.

kaji157
03-18-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm not crazy about durant. Especially if it means forcing Tim and manu out the door. Loyalty to those 2 above all.

I donīt think it will by any means, what i do think is that inserting him will be forcing the issue a bit, LeBron on the other hand would make much sense because he can play virtually at any position, something Durant cannot.

Of course the real need for the Spurs right now is a top notch Point Guard, we get that and the league is us or Golden Stateīs, itīs scary that LeBron could play PG for us.
LeBron - Green - Leonard -Aldridge - Duncan

or

Parker - Green - Leonar - LeBron - Aldridge

TrainOfThought5
03-18-2016, 10:08 AM

Manu already has a foot and a testicle out the door. He BARELY came back for this year.

Tim, has never shied away from taking paycuts to win and play with friends and for a coach he loves.

Parker is the elephant in the room here. (His ability to distribute isnt worth 14Mil a year. Ask him to take a small 5 mil paycut and extend him 2 more years at a reasonable salary for what he brings to the table, convince KD to take a small paycut on a 2 year deal upfront and promise him max money when its renegotiating time.

T Park
03-18-2016, 10:08 AM
With Durant being a 30% of the cap free agent it would be doable salary dumping Green and Mills, and cutting Diaw if West wants to play another year. I made that post under the assumption Durant would be a 35% cap free agent, but he is one year short of that. Though if I'm Durant I sign a one year deal and then sign a long term deal starting about $36 million a year in the summer of 2017.

Interesting. With Durant I think it's worth dumping no Green and Mills. Diaw instead of west is ok too now with Kyle Anderson developing.

Doubt the Spurs want to gut the team for Durant but, we didn't think they would for Aldridge either

Chinook
03-18-2016, 10:13 AM
My estimates were pretty far off, actually. The Spurs project to have something closer to $13 Million if Tim and Manu retire and take no money. That's with a $92-Million projected cap. The Spurs would have to free up about another $14 Million if they want to get Durant (or Horford or Conley). That's Green, Diaw and no free agents. It's a tall order to say the least, and that's one I don't see the Spurs making in 2016, In 2017, they wouldn't have to sacrifice nearly as much.

Again, though, if they dumped Parker instead, they'd have enough room to keep everyone else under contract while having enough money to sign LJC, their draft pick and Bertans, while still having about $2 Million in cap space (or Boban, but it's not likely he could be kept) and room exception.

Keep West to start next to LMA and try to get a guy like Augustine to train a new PG. Get a roster like this:

PG: Augustine, Mills, Trebble (or Newman, Morris, Payton, LeVert)
SG: Kawhi, Green, Simmons
SF: Durant, Anderson, Bertans
PF: West, Diaw, LJC
C: Aldridge, Boban/vet hanger-on, LaLanne (or Ndoye or Milutinov)

The Spurs could also waive Diaw to have an MLE-level slot to try to secure a more legitimate third big. But Boris is my choice for at least another year.

Crazy thing is that the Spurs could have ANOTHER max slot in 2017 if things broke right.

Mugen
03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
I think Conley is a better and more realistic target tbh.

Chinook
03-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Eh, he costs just as much and doesn't have the same upside. No way would it make sense to trade Green and cut Diaw just to add Conley. Doubt the Spurs would move Parker for him as well. But I do think the fit would be nice.

pgardn
03-18-2016, 10:24 AM

I like this choice also. Worried about his latest group of injuries.

pgardn
03-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Eh, he costs just as much and doesn't have the same upside. No way would it make sense to trade Green and cut Diaw just to add Conley. Doubt the Spurs would move Parker for him as well. But I do think the fit would be nice.

Im not sure how much these guys are going to cost if we win a championship.

Chinook
03-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Im not sure how much these guys are going to cost if we win a championship.

Don't see the Spurs getting rid of rotation players coming off a championship. I don't even see Tim and Manu retiring if that's the case. But if they do, the Spurs would probably do what they could to patch the holes instead of blowing it up.

Mugen
03-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Don't see the Spurs getting rid of rotation players coming off a championship. I don't even see Tim and Manu retiring if that's the case. But if they do, the Spurs would probably do what they could to patch the holes instead of blowing it up.

You don't see Manu & Timmy riding off into the sunset after a championship? Curious on why tbh....

Chinook
03-18-2016, 10:40 AM
You don't see Manu & Timmy riding off into the sunset after a championship? Curious on why tbh....

They both seem to want to play too much. If the Spurs win, they're going to be big parts of it. Can't see them being good enough to win a title and still hanging it up, especially Tim.

Mugen
03-18-2016, 10:47 AM
They both seem to want to play too much. If the Spurs win, they're going to be big parts of it. Can't see them being good enough to win a title and still hanging it up, especially Tim.

I'd be surprised if Manu comes back tbh. But I understand that line of thinking.

Mel_13
03-18-2016, 11:03 AM
I'd be surprised if Manu comes back tbh. But I understand that line of thinking.

I agree. I think Tim returns and Manu retires regardless of how the team fares in the playoffs.

DPG21920
03-18-2016, 11:13 AM
http://imagesmtv-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Lil-B-Cursing-Kevin-Durant-1416684543-1426967223.gif

will_spurs
03-18-2016, 11:31 AM
The front office will do what it has to do, but I sure hope they won't be chasing Durant. There's just not enough ball for Kawhi, LMA and Durant.

This season Kawhi is taking 15 shots a game, LMA 14 and Parker fewer than 10. Durant averages 19 FGA for his career and has never shot below 17 FGA.

Anybody who thinks Durant would come to SA with the same mindset as LMA of "reg season doesn't count" is downright crazy.

cutewizard
03-18-2016, 11:42 AM
pipe dreams

wet dreams

they are all the same, lol

cutewizard
03-18-2016, 11:42 AM
JOhn Wall is a a PG i like

steeledl
03-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Durant Kawhi would be the best wing combo since Jordan PIppen

Taking it to the Hole
03-18-2016, 02:38 PM
The front office will do what it has to do, but I sure hope they won't be chasing Durant. There's just not enough ball for Kawhi, LMA and Durant.

This season Kawhi is taking 15 shots a game, LMA 14 and Parker fewer than 10. Durant averages 19 FGA for his career and has never shot below 17 FGA.

Anybody who thinks Durant would come to SA with the same mindset as LMA of "reg season doesn't count" is downright crazy.

This is what I was saying in an earlier post. LMA changed his mindset because he still knows he is going to be a second option on some nights and a first option when and if Kawhi is struggling. You add Durant to that mix, you are telling me his is going to change his mindset? I know Pop can get players to play to his system if those players commit to the system but even trying to acquire Durant at the price of losing our valuable role players seems downright reckless. Adding him would disrupt the chemistry the team has with each other.

buttsR4rebounding
03-18-2016, 02:38 PM
The Spurs would pretty much have to decimate their bench to make this happen next year. I think that they get their bench set this next year, convince Tim to play 1 more year, and look to the summer of 2017 when the cap goes up to maybe $110 million to sign a 3rd franchise type player. There will likely be some high quality players that would want to join a contending team. Some available that year include LBJ, Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Parsons, IBAKA, Teague among others. If Durant bolts from OKC a then 28 year old Ibaka might be just what the doctor order to replace a retired Tim Duncan.

DrSteffo
03-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Of course we should get him if we have the opportunity. I don't like him now but that is irrelevant.

Kawhitstorm
03-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Durant Kawhi would be the best wing combo since Jordan PIppen

2011 LeBron/Wade happened before LeChoke happened in the Finals & Durant is bound to follow suit.

Robz4000
03-18-2016, 03:37 PM
The Spurs would pretty much have to decimate their bench to make this happen next year. I think that they get their bench set this next year, convince Tim to play 1 more year, and look to the summer of 2017 when the cap goes up to maybe $110 million to sign a 3rd franchise type player. There will likely be some high quality players that would want to join a contending team. Some available that year include LBJ, Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Parsons, IBAKA, Teague among others. If Durant bolts from OKC a then 28 year old Ibaka might be just what the doctor order to replace a retired Tim Duncan.

:lmao