PDA

View Full Version : Would Parker's career numbers be higher if he played with a spot-up PF?

SASdynasty!
03-18-2016, 07:26 PM
Parker did something with LMA that he's really never been able to do in his career. This isn't a knock on Duncan in any way, but are Parker's numbers diminished because Tim would hold the ball in the block so long before he went to the banker or across the lane for the baby hook?

spursfan09
03-18-2016, 07:58 PM
Yes. This is always why he has had low assists numbers. Duncan would catch and dribble dribble dribble. And if not that the offense was designed for the ball to be touched by so many players before being shot. But the idiot Parker haters here will disagree.

BadOne
03-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Parker did something with LMA that he's really never been able to do in his career. This isn't a knock on Duncan in any way, but are Parker's numbers diminished because Tim would hold the ball in the block so long before he went to the banker or across the lane for the baby hook?

Makes sense TBH. He averaged 7.6 assists per game in 2013. Timmy was absolutely MONEY with his jump shot that year. Though he's currently only at 5.4 assists this season, that will continue to go up if they keep this up.

TheGreatYacht
03-18-2016, 08:45 PM
You don't get assists when you hand the ball to the PF to post up, tbh.

Good thread

ElNono
03-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Possibly, his ring count would also be much smaller though...

dabom
03-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Would he even have any? :lol

TheGreatYacht
03-18-2016, 09:02 PM
Depends. The year he was the guy, some scrub missed crunch time free throws

dabom
03-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Depends. The year he was the guy, some scrub missed crunch time free throws

Tony in overtime? :lmao

TheGreatYacht
03-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Tony in overtime? :lmao
Kawhi, Kool got that pic of him seeing a ghost right before he shoots his FT's :lmao

ElNono
03-18-2016, 09:06 PM

Maybe in the last couple of years where the league went more towards the jumpshot... but back until about 2010, that TD post dominance was make or break...

dabom
03-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Tony missed freethrows in overtime. :lmao

6-23

:lmao

I don't even remember him in game 7. :lmao

Kool Bob Love
03-18-2016, 09:07 PM
Kawhi, Kool got that pic of him seeing a ghost right before he shoots his FT's :lmao

The pic didn't do justice.
Peep the vine!
https://vine.co/v/hBYKPEiMIrY
Look at that dumbass look on his face! :rollin

Blackjack
03-18-2016, 09:08 PM

Yup. And imagine Timmy's numbers if he had a pass-first point-guard... someone who set him up with easy buckets, a la Stockton.

Timmy could've been pretty good. Oh, well...

TheGreatYacht
03-18-2016, 09:09 PM
The pic didn't do justice.
Peep the vine!
https://vine.co/v/hBYKPEiMIrY
Look at that dumbass look on his face! :rollin
:lmao holy fuck

Neurosis
03-18-2016, 09:14 PM
More ppg & more assists for less championships. Not worth it really.

TheDoctor
03-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Tony's working out hard for tomorrow's game

EVAY
03-18-2016, 09:50 PM

Maybe the same number as CP3? But folks around here are convinced that CP3 is the far superior pg to TP because he assist numbers are higher.

ElNono
03-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Maybe the same number as CP3? But folks around here are convinced that CP3 is the far superior pg to TP because he assist numbers are higher.

CP3 is the better player, imvho... there's no shame in that either...

EVAY
03-18-2016, 10:01 PM
CP3 is the better player, imvho... there's no shame in that either...

This goes back to the question of better basketball player vs. valuable to the team player. CP3 is very arguably the superior talent to TP with respect to court vision, passing ability, etc., but would CP3 have been willing to subordinate his game (assist, scoring, whatever is important to him) to fit into the Spur's system as Pop beat into TP in the early years of his career? Very few 'stars', imo, would have been willing to subordinate their games to that of another team member in the same way that TP did in his very early years when he had basically no role other than "bring the boll up the court and geev it to Teemy", who would then dribble it until he either scored or got double teamed, at which time he would pass the ball to a perimeter player for a shot?

Tp has never had the level of raw talent that Tim or Manu have had. But he took all the beatings from Pop and learned to do what Pop wanted done...again and again and again. I honestly can't see CP3 having gone along with that.

Kawhitstorm
03-18-2016, 10:06 PM
You mean like when he had Dick Jefferson who was one of the best spot up shooters during the regular season?:wakeup

The first year was rough but Jefferson got the message and started working on his three-point shooting. Spot-ups became his bread and butter, with almost 48% of his offense coming in those situations in his second season. His three-point rate (percentage of field goals taken behind the arc) sky-rocketed to 48% and his efficiency climbed with it to a stellar 44%. His usage declined even more, to a role player's 15% and his shot selection was limited to beyond the three point line and the rim. Richard Jefferson had his most efficient scoring season by turning into a spot up three-point shooter - and was one of the best in the league at that.

Benoit
03-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Ive never seen a fanbase so unappreciative towards a HOF player

He carried you guys from 2007 to 2014 with 2 NBA championships yet half the threads I see here are against him

50% complaining about Parker
50% threads about the Dubs lmao

ElNono
03-18-2016, 10:20 PM
This goes back to the question of better basketball player vs. valuable to the team player. CP3 is very arguably the superior talent to TP with respect to court vision, passing ability, etc., but would CP3 have been willing to subordinate his game (assist, scoring, whatever is important to him) to fit into the Spur's system as Pop beat into TP in the early years of his career? Very few 'stars', imo, would have been willing to subordinate their games to that of another team member in the same way that TP did in his very early years when he had basically no role other than "bring the boll up the court and geev it to Teemy", who would then dribble it until he either scored or got double teamed, at which time he would pass the ball to a perimeter player for a shot?

Tp has never had the level of raw talent that Tim or Manu have had. But he took all the beatings from Pop and learned to do what Pop wanted done...again and again and again. I honestly can't see CP3 having gone along with that.

I don't know about all that. It's difficult to do what ifs. Pop, a guy that's well known to adapt to the talent available, might've not have played the same gameplan if he had such talent available. It's obvious that Chris never been me-first either, so I don't know he would've had a problem with sharing the spotlight with a player of Tim's caliber. We know Pop did look for a great court vision, great passer in Kidd at some point, so I think he thought he could make such a pairing work.

I just don't really understand why some fans think it's a slight. Tony has done a great job with his comparatively limited talent.

itzsoweezee
03-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Stop making excuses. Tony has terrible court vision and isn't a very accurate passer. I bet Avery Johnson had better assist numbers playing with the twin towers.

EVAY
03-18-2016, 10:54 PM
Stop making excuses. Tony has terrible court vision and isn't a very accurate passer. I bet Avery Johnson had better assist numbers playing with the twin towers.

no, he didn't.

Blackjack
03-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Yeah, fuckin' around aside, we've been extremely blessed to have TP all these years. Easy to take it for granted when you've had that kind of good fortune. You forget what it's like to not have it and start focusing on all that it's not or wish it could be: "It's good, but it could be so much better."

That being said, CP3 would have been even better. There's a reason he was drafted as a Franchise player and TP, though talented, was available to the Spurs - and why he never had the opportunity to pull some diva act and start demanding anything other than getting learned by Pop and the Spurs.

CP3 has never been a selfish, all-about-me, stat-whore. He's competitive as fuck and Pop would've loved the hell out of him. If CP3 had Tim, Manu, Pop and this system, he'd have just as many rings as TP. I'd say more, but his health hasn't been as consistent as TP's - which is another blessing we've had with TP.

Benoit
03-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Chris Paul is a whiny loser lmao he has never made it anywhere close to the finals:rolleyes

Tony Parker is one of the greatest winners at the pg position

It must all be Tim Duncan stans and Kawhi Leonard stans that downplay his accomplishments

Sean Cagney
03-18-2016, 11:02 PM

^^^^ TBH

bic50
03-19-2016, 04:15 AM
greatcuck feline fucker acting like little bitches in here. :lol. Oh and benoit is one of those clowns alts