PDA

View Full Version : A&M guilty of having a lousy defense

Jimcs50
09-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Sept. 27, 2005, 1:22AM

A&M guilty of having a lousy defense
By JOHN P. LOPEZ

It might be time for Dennis Franchione to rethink his decision to leave surnames off the backs of jerseys, at least when it comes to the Aggie defense.

We need to know who the culprits are.

They have been dazed, shredded, ripped and pureed. By Texas State. And SMU.

Franchione called his defense "inconsistent."

Yes. And life in the Corps of Cadets is a tad bit regimented.

Somewhere, former A&M defensive back Chet Brooks must be shaking his head, the acknowledged originator of the Wrecking Crew nickname no doubt disgusted at what has become of the famed Aggie defense.

The biggest obstacle the Baylor Bears must overcome Saturday at Kyle Field, in fact, could well be overconfidence.

How bad can it be?
The Aggies rank 85th nationally in total defense. Against the pass, they rank 110th out of 119 Division I teams, behind notables such as Kent State and Florida International.

They break, but don't bend. They have raw ability that's souring.

Yet as much as this could be the worst defense there's ever been in Aggieland, this also could be the best offense ever to step onto Kyle Field.

The Aggies are averaging more than 543 yards and 44 points per game and easily are on pace to establish school records for yards, points and passing offense.

Quarterback Reggie McNeal possesses everything Vince Young does, except a salty
D-line, and is probably a better passer.

Texas State or no Texas State, McNeal leads an offense that can be impossible to stop. Even in the 25-24, season-opening loss at Clemson, the Aggies averaged more than seven yards a snap.

It was the A&M defense that was a dud, giving up points on seven of 10 possessions and allowing the Tigers to dominate time of possession and keep McNeal off the field.

When Franchione was hired to turn the Aggie program around three years ago, this wasn't the kind of turnaround most people expected.

Neither did anyone expect the once-lowly Bears to play such a significant role in deciding coaching livelihoods and the next step for the A&M program.

OK, it's not that bad
This is not a time to panic in Aggieland. Franchione certainly has built programs from much less desirable starting points, and the recruiting classes Fran has brought in have been among the best in the nation.

But get fooled by Baylor once, good for them. Get fooled twice, shame on defensive coordinator Carl Torbush.

This is as pivotal a week for Torbush since Franchione's arrival was trumpeted with everything short of the theme from Patton. Franchione's expertise in building a program deliberately, emphasizing work in the weight room, physical offensive lines and balance offensively is coming along nicely.

The foundation of the Aggie program, recruiting, has been taking those steps forward — the Aggies' classes ranking 10th nationally in 2003, 13th in 2004 and eighth last winter by rivals.com.

The offensive line, manhandled as recently as last season's Cotton Bowl, is a clear strength, anchored by a future NFL millionaire in redshirt freshman Yemi Babalola. The line also has high-caliber depth.

And offensive balance? The Aggies are averaging 266 yards on the ground and 277 yards passing.

Defensively, Fran usually leaves most of it to the defen-sive staff. And Torbush has been good for Franchione before.

No lack of muscle
But nothing opposing offenses are doing to the Aggies now is because of a physical disadvantage the A&M defenders must overcome. If anything, not only was the Aggies' defense more gifted physically than Texas State and SMU, but it was more talented than Clemson's offense as well.

Torbush's squad is being humiliated. And it's happening in the worst way possible.

Indefensible mistakes
The Aggies look confused. They're getting caught out of position. They are indecisive. They are unsure.

"We didn't do our basic fundamental things very well," Franchione said of the Texas State game. "We got bad reads. We were out of position."

From 1985 until Franchione's arrival before the 2003 season, the A&M defense finished ranked lower than 25th in the country just twice.

Since his arrival, the Aggies have finished 96th, 63rd and now stand at 85th.

Everything Franchione needs to do to make this program a power again is working. Everything but the one thing on which Aggie fans could always count.

Who would have thought the key to Torbush's future could be finding a way to stop Baylor?

Check out Lopez@Large, John P. Lopez's blog at www.chron.com. [email protected]

SWC Bonfire
09-27-2005, 08:55 AM
The Aggies look confused. They're getting caught out of position. They are indecisive. They are unsure.

That hasn't changed since the Clemson game. They haven't shown any progress this season at all.

If it gets down to a "what have you done lately" for Torbush he is gone. A&M used to loose their defensive coordinator every year and kept on going, mainly because of R.C. (that will get some haters to the surface).

Jimcs50
09-27-2005, 09:07 AM
That hasn't changed since the Clemson game. They haven't shown any progress this season at all.

If it gets down to a "what have you done lately" for Torbush he is gone. A&M used to loose their defensive coordinator every year and kept on going, mainly because of R.C. (that will get some haters to the surface).

Perhaps, they need to have RC offer some opinions...he is still there, but not involved with the football team. RC was a genius with defense.

SWC Bonfire
09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I believe that R.C. still has this year on his contract, but I would imagine he isn't involved very much, and probably gives a whole hell of a shit more about the friends and family he has in SE Texas right now.

SWC Bonfire
09-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Also, Jerry Jones needs offer big money to R.C. Slocum as the defensive coordinator next year, just in case he would do it. NO ONE knows how the 3-4 and the secondary work together like R.C. Slocum.

mookie2001
09-27-2005, 06:22 PM
they should get Andy Slocum on that staff

scott
09-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Also, Jerry Jones needs offer big money to R.C. Slocum as the defensive coordinator next year, just in case he would do it. NO ONE knows how the 3-4 and the secondary work together like R.C. Slocum.

I'll pass.

Oscar DeLa
09-27-2005, 08:56 PM
I don't know what it is but a&m might have a tough time with Baylor

Jimcs50
09-27-2005, 09:59 PM
I don't know what it is but a&m might have a tough time with Baylor

That was last year.

A&M wins this year by 70

Cant_Be_Faded
09-28-2005, 12:22 AM
LOL, A&M let John Gilley throw for 400 yards!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Torbush sucks. I've got friends on the team this year and also who played and graduated last year. The players have no confidence in the guy.

His defense requires multiple reads pre-snap, and he has overcoached the players in the secondary and LB corps to the point that they are out there thinking instead of playing football :td

The sooner Fran gets rid of Torbush and gets someone in there who will first and foremost let the players line up across from someone and knock said person on their ass, the better off we'll be.

None of these defensive backs were recruited to come in and play with a 10 yard cushion on every play, and it pisses them off to no extent that they can't play some down and dirty man to man defense.

What sucks is this could be a great year with our offense but Torbush's shitty ass defense is going to bring us down. :pctoss

SWC Bonfire
09-28-2005, 08:10 AM
I'll pass.

So will the Cowboy's opponents. :lol

Jimcs50
09-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Torbush sucks. I've got friends on the team this year and also who played and graduated last year. The players have no confidence in the guy.

His defense requires multiple reads pre-snap, and he has overcoached the players in the secondary and LB corps to the point that they are out there thinking instead of playing football :td

The sooner Fran gets rid of Torbush and gets someone in there who will first and foremost let the players line up across from someone and knock said person on their ass, the better off we'll be.

None of these defensive backs were recruited to come in and play with a 10 yard cushion on every play, and it pisses them off to no extent that they can't play some down and dirty man to man defense.

What sucks is this could be a great year with our offense but Torbush's shitty ass defense is going to bring us down. :pctoss

AHF, you are wrong, AGAIN.

The It is not the system, it is the players. The players can not tackle at all. They are there to make the stops, but the first guy is not tackling or even slowing the player down enough for the help to come finish the job.

Watch the game, please. :rolleyes

SWC Bonfire
09-28-2005, 08:25 AM
You are both right. Players are missing assignments as well as tackles.

Regardless, I would say that the defensive scheme has a history in Aggieland of not working well.

Jimcs50
09-28-2005, 08:44 AM
You are both right. Players are missing assignments as well as tackles.

Regardless, I would say that the defensive scheme has a history in Aggieland of not working well.

Yes, I do not like that they are playing soft on the corners. The problem is, they are still giving up huge chuncks of yardage, even playing off the ball....you might as well play on the receiver and try to chuck him and disrupt the timing of the route.

samikeyp
09-28-2005, 08:48 AM
A&M wins this year by 70

The first of the two-part Aggie revenge beatdown tour begins this weekend, after that, next stop Norman. :)

Jimcs50
09-28-2005, 09:18 AM
The first of the two-part Aggie revenge beatdown tour begins this weekend, after that, next stop Norman. :)

Mikey, A&M beat Batlor in 03 by 60+ pts, they took them lightly last year when A&M was ranked #16, and they found out what happens when they do that...they lost in OT when Baylor goes for 2 pt conversion after Ags went for 1 on their first possession. OU beat Ags by 70 in 03 and Ags almost beat them last year here, but this year, they are better than OU and they will beat them...I have called that prediction from the start of the season....and I will be right.

samikeyp
09-28-2005, 12:18 PM
I agree...that's why I think they will try to hang 70 on Baylor and OU. They should get there against Baylor, the OU game might not be as much but still ugly. The only thing that will stop A&M from hanging 70 on OU is that Fran will pull McNeil.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Sorry Jimbo, it's Torbush.

All of the LBs and 2ndary have like 4 pre-snap reads to make. Way too complex. Based off those reads, they have assignements that don't always make common sense (that are supposed to confuse opponents, but only seem to confuse our guys).

Players who have gone off instinct get shredded in film session by Torbush, even if they made the right play, because it's supposed to be an assigment defense.

Torbush has created an arena where the players are over-thinking and under-reacting out there, and looking over their shoulder worried they'll get chewed on instead of playing football.

Yeah, the tackling isn't all that great, but the guys have no faith that Torbush knows what he's doing. Basically there is no desire there because no matter what they're always getting chewed on for this or that, and they have no confidence in Carl as a coach or leader of the defense.

Think of it as paralysis by analysis. Sooner or later Torbush needs to realize it isn't about diong calculus on the football field, but about lining up and putting the guy across the line of scrimmage from you on his ass.

SWC Bonfire
09-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Well, Torbush's defense might have been sucessfull at Alabama against SEC power offenses, but the spread offense and its permutations that has come about in the past few years require a sound, non-gimmicky defense with clear assignments so that all skill positions can be accounted for.

Jimcs50
09-28-2005, 04:46 PM
AHF, on 2 occasions this year including last week, the defender would have made the play and prevented the long pass reception and TD had he just looked back for the ball. The coverage was there, but he just did not look at the QB and he missed the ball, thus gave up the 6.

They will learn as they go, and get better. We have 5 games to get better befiore we play Tech, by then, they will be much better on D.

SWC Bonfire
09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
the defender would have made the play and prevented the long pass reception and TD had he just looked back for the ball.

That is what safety help is for. One disadvantage on the 4-3 defense is that often you don't have an extra athlete capable of pass coverage when you go on the blitz like you do when you have 4 linebackers in the 3-4. This means that the corners have to go man coverage, and if you're already giving them a 10 yd cushion, it is possible that some bad things will happen if they pick up the blitz. Also, there is one fewer LB to cover the hot route of the RB out of the backfield.

Mr Dio
09-28-2005, 05:38 PM
AHF, you are wrong, AGAIN.
The It is not the system, it is the players. The players can not tackle at all. They are there to make the stops, but the first guy is not tackling or even slowing the player down enough for the help to come finish the job.
Watch the game, please.

:lol
I don't have an answer & whoever does isn't running the show or playing. Could be a combination of the 2 but more than likely is the players AND YES, I have seen 2 of their games.

scott
09-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Based on AHF's insights, it sounds more like A&M's problem is that their defense is comprised of a bunch of morons with bad attitudes.

mookie2001
09-28-2005, 08:18 PM
just wait for those redshirts!

Mr Dio
09-28-2005, 08:29 PM
OK, as part of a 4tm teaser I want to make it so ags have to win by at least 10 at hm vs Baylor & UT has to win by at least 3 at Mizzou.

What say thee Jim & Mook, all biases aside you 2 I think I can straight talk from.

mookie2001
09-28-2005, 08:40 PM
whats the spread on the UT game?

sounds like a good bet though

Mr Dio
09-28-2005, 09:38 PM
UT -14.5 on my svc & ags -22.5

I'm thinking of bringing either:
CIN/HOU to over 29.5 & STL/NYG over 33.5 with UT & UTam

snyderman
09-28-2005, 09:51 PM
where are you jaxson appel?

Jimcs50
09-29-2005, 08:56 AM
where are you jaxson appel?

He is not playing much at all. I guess he is in the doghouse.

TexasAggie2005
09-29-2005, 06:16 PM
He is not playing much at all. I guess he is in the doghouse.

What are you talking about? Appel's out there most of the game. He just isn't fast enough to be a good true free safety. He's always been more of a hard-hitting run-stopper than a good pass coverage safety.

And the tackling's not the big problem. If you actually watched the game, our corners made the tackle after the catch, there was just no attempt to break up the pass because they're playing a huge cushion.

Put Japhus Brown at free safety, shift Jaxson over to strong safety, and have Carpenter and Gorrer play tighter man coverage. And blitz more to put some pressure on the quarterback.

mookie2001
09-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I think Jaxson is a good player
i do think he is overrated and a fan favorite because he is white, good looking and played hurt

j-6
09-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Put Japhus Brown at free safety, shift Jaxson over to strong safety, and have Carpenter and Gorrer play tighter man coverage. And blitz more to put some pressure on the quarterback.

I thought he played SS last year and FS before that. So he's back at FS? Was it last season or the season before when Appel had 120 or so tackles?

TexasAggie2005
09-29-2005, 11:46 PM
I thought he played SS last year and FS before that. So he's back at FS? Was it last season or the season before when Appel had 120 or so tackles?

He played strong safety last year, but he's back at free safety. And yeah, he pretty much leads our team in tackles every year. He's only around seventy away from breaking Dat's all-time record. It's kinda sad when your safety has to make every stop.

EDIT:

2002 (FS): 69 tackles
2003 (FS): 135 tackles
2004 (SS): 85 tackles

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Something else they're guilty of....and I saw this for myself (although it's not my pic) when we were going to Dixie Chicken.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7304/e19cic9zo.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Jimcs50
09-30-2005, 08:02 AM
The windows will not blow out with the plywood on the inside either, as long as it is against the glass. If you have no way to hammer the wood into the masonry or metal frame, then this is a very effective way to do it. And if the glass breaks because of some object hitting it, the wood keeps your business dry.

SWC Bonfire
09-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Also, that's Oriented Strand Board (OSB), not plywood. Although stronger than plywood (and less expensive), it begins to delaminate when it gets wet.

Marcus Bryant
09-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Well, it was a good joke for the kiddos while it lasted.

hussker
10-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Looks like the O is on the skids today as well...

hussker
10-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Mc Neil is getting gobbled up by BU

Mr Dio
10-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Gutless Gutless ags

Hook Dem
10-01-2005, 02:39 PM
8 minutes left in game.....Baylor 10 Ags 7

Mr Dio
10-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Can you believe some kids get pissed when you post that the UTam's team sucks this year? Talk about no common sense.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-01-2005, 02:50 PM
But they beat Tx. State, Mr Dio!

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 02:58 PM
But they beat Tx. State, Mr Dio!
They barely beat Tx State too :lol

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:01 PM
10 - 10 with 58 secs left Baylor has a chance to win it

Cant_Be_Faded
10-01-2005, 03:02 PM
nah, i think a&m's got this one now

baylor blew it

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Baylor wants to go into OT, even if A&M does win in OT, you can pretty much say Baylor > A&M

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:17 PM
A&M struggles against TxState & Baylor.....ouch

Cant_Be_Faded
10-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Gutless Gutless ags

Classic.

Ginofan
10-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Thank god for our red zone defense today, otherwise we would've lost. They took Reggie out of the game almost completely...really really ugly today. But I'll take the W.

IcemanCometh
10-01-2005, 03:21 PM
aggy wins their Super Bowl

hussker
10-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Thank god for our red zone defense today, otherwise we would've lost. They took Reggie out of the game almost completely...really really ugly today. But I'll take the W.

D came to play, on both sides of the ball. That one play by Reggie was what did it for the O. Good Game. BU may have something...We get them in two weeks in Wacko

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:32 PM
A&M doesn't look good at all.

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
aggy wins their Super Bowl
come on dude, their super bowl is any game UT loses.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:38 PM
come on dude, their super bowl is any game UT loses.
That is sad.

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 04:08 PM
no one wants to talk A&M football. I told my aggie neighbor to keep his head up because next week has traditionally been the best weekend of the year for all aggies.:spin

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 04:17 PM
UT will win the 100th game of the series. :smokin

Mr Dio
10-01-2005, 05:10 PM
That is sad.

I agree. The biggest celebration should be when the team you root for wins.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 05:17 PM
I agree. The biggest celebration should be when the team you root for wins.
True. A&M is all for UT losing and even their chants toward UT than towards themselves. It is pretty damn sad.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Gutless Gutless ags

im going to go out on a limb and say that's mr dio's best quote EVER

Ginofan
10-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Some of you think too highly of yourselves. Sure you take a little pleasure in your rivalry losing just like we do with the Lakers. But damn dude get off the high horses, Aggies' lives don't revolve around what t.u. does or doesn't do.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-01-2005, 05:36 PM
As long as the fight song is sung

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Some of you think too highly of yourselves. Sure you take a little pleasure in your rivalry losing just like we do with the Lakers. But damn dude get off the high horses, Aggies' lives don't revolve around what t.u. does or doesn't do.
then why the insistent t.u. usuage rather the u.t. ? seems like you get more pleasure in anything negative UT than anyting positive A&M. But that's ok, the Red Sox were like that for 86 years.

Ginofan
10-01-2005, 06:28 PM
then why the insistent t.u. usuage rather the u.t. ? seems like you get more pleasure in anything negative UT than anyting positive A&M. But that's ok, the Red Sox were like that for 86 years.

t.u. is what I say, I haven't been around people that say UT, i've been around people that say t.u. it's been influenced. If I only took pleasure in anything negative towards UT I'd be an Aggie version of Dio. I'm not the one in here making posts about how gutless and how bad the Ags are doing, seems like alot of you get pleasure from doing that. You didn't see me in here making insulting posts about the Longhorns in the first half of the Missouri game did you? I take way more pleasure in the Aggies winning than I ever would take in the Longhorns losing. And pardon me, but I don't see any Longhorn fans being positive towards A&M.

hussker
10-01-2005, 06:38 PM

So, the point is, does it REALLY MATTER at all?

GROW UP PEOPLE! GEEZ!!

hussker
10-01-2005, 06:39 PM
A rose is a rose is a rose, which the HORNS smelled last yr. They will likely win it all this year...Who cares if it is UT or t.u. ? Inane banter

hussker
10-01-2005, 06:42 PM
BUT..it would be hilarious if my wife's alma mater kicked the crap out of t.u. hehehe! I will be rooting for the AGS from my high perch in Kyle, tha nks to my Aggie wife!

HUGS,
Hussker

j-6
10-01-2005, 06:54 PM
t.u. is what I say, I haven't been around people that say UT, i've been around people that say t.u. it's been influenced. If I only took pleasure in anything negative towards UT I'd be an Aggie version of Dio. I'm not the one in here making posts about how gutless and how bad the Ags are doing, seems like alot of you get pleasure from doing that. You didn't see me in here making insulting posts about the Longhorns in the first half of the Missouri game did you? I take way more pleasure in the Aggies winning than I ever would take in the Longhorns losing. And pardon me, but I don't see any Longhorn fans being positive towards A&M.

I think it sucks when A&M loses to an other team besides UT (or t.u. if that's easier for you to comprehend). But I for one am awfully amused with the last two titanic OT clashes between A&M and that colossal football factory known as Baylor. That's even better than Tech trying to establish some sort of fierce rivalry with A&M.

Us Orangebloods (or t-sips, or whatever) have taken a lot of shit off of you Ags after OU weekend the last few years, especially after McNeal's breakout game where A&M knocked off the Sooners. And that's cool. You've beaten the 800 lb. gorilla of the Big 12 more recently, so you deserve to mouth off.

If you're not at least a little concerned after the performances against Baylor and Texas State (and that loss to Clemson is looking worse and worse after Wake beat them today), that's your business. You can make all the excuses you want for why the look so shitty, but at least they've won both games.

I'm sure everything will come together before Thanksgiving, but I was a lot more excited about the Horns playing a surging one loss Aggie team than one struggling with subpar opponents.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-01-2005, 07:07 PM
All i know is that the big twelve fucking sucks this year and A&M is putting the conference name to shame.

hussker
10-01-2005, 07:08 PM
All i know is that the big twelve fucking sucks this year and A&M is putting the conference name to shame.

There is still a lot of football...Too early to tell my friend...

Mr Dio
10-01-2005, 10:18 PM
A rose is a rose is a rose, which the HORNS smelled last yr. They will likely win it all this year...Who cares if it is UT or t.u. ? Inane banter

Agreed, The UT does have agreat chance this year. As do some other schools.

Mr Dio
10-01-2005, 10:19 PM

Exactly, some people may get pissed about this but who gives a flying F**K? It's TRUE, deal with it.

Mr Dio
10-01-2005, 10:24 PM

You would've been laughed :lol off the board had you posted how The UT was doing in the 1st half. Big secret, football has 4 quarters, not 2.

If it makes you feel better I'll post that UTam has the BEST in football team in Texas & they're undefeated & blah blah blah....

Maybe I should go have 1 more beer & say something stupid, then I'd be a male version of M. :lol

Mr Dio
10-01-2005, 10:26 PM
ags are undefeated!

See how STUPID that looks? Or are you a male version of a stupid kid who lives in North Texas?

samikeyp
10-02-2005, 02:04 AM
And pardon me, but I don't see any Longhorn fans being positive towards A&M.

then you have missed some of my posts.

2centsworth
10-02-2005, 10:55 AM
That's even better than Tech trying to establish some sort of fierce rivalry with A&M If UT were to lose to another team 75% of the times I would think the horns would consider that a rivalry game. BTW, it's funny how people talk down to tech when they're only a top 20 program with a fresh win in the Holiday Bowl against top 5 Cal.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech is legit, they've beat us more recently than the Agriculturers, right?

Mr Dio
10-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I can see UTam giving the Horns problems because it is such a huge rivalry. Does UTam have a big or average chance to beat UT this yr? I think if UT has a major injury then yes..otherwise, no matter where the game is played, NO.

Mr Dio
10-02-2005, 12:19 PM
I can't see Tech being a big prob in aUsTin this yr.

mookie2001
10-02-2005, 12:29 PM
dam Tech got rolled last year
what a game

A&M
they have a chance with reggie and those playmaking receivers
but i doubt it would be against texas' secondary that they would put it all together
i also doubt they could keep up in every other area of the game

j-6
10-02-2005, 12:44 PM
If UT were to lose to another team 75% of the times I would think the horns would consider that a rivalry game. BTW, it's funny how people talk down to tech when they're only a top 20 program with a fresh win in the Holiday Bowl against top 5 Cal.

UT has rivalries with OU and A&M, and to a lesser extent Nebraska and Arkansas. There's no room for the Vocational School of Overhyped Offense at Lubbock in j-6's list of meaningful Longhorn rivalries. Perhaps my Aggie counterparts can make an exception, but I'm not.

Beating Tech is something the University of Texas is supposed to do, like beating Baylor. When they lose to the Red/Black Raiders (depending on which yearly uniform change cycle they're on), and I watched that loss in '02, there is no hatred. There's disappointment. Astonishment. Disbelief.

I haven't been to Lubbock in seven or eight years but I bet they have upside-down Longhorn stickers all over the place there, too.

Ginofan
10-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I think it sucks when A&M loses to an other team besides UT (or t.u. if that's easier for you to comprehend). But I for one am awfully amused with the last two titanic OT clashes between A&M and that colossal football factory known as Baylor. That's even better than Tech trying to establish some sort of fierce rivalry with A&M.

Us Orangebloods (or t-sips, or whatever) have taken a lot of shit off of you Ags after OU weekend the last few years, especially after McNeal's breakout game where A&M knocked off the Sooners. And that's cool. You've beaten the 800 lb. gorilla of the Big 12 more recently, so you deserve to mouth off.

If you're not at least a little concerned after the performances against Baylor and Texas State (and that loss to Clemson is looking worse and worse after Wake beat them today), that's your business. You can make all the excuses you want for why the look so shitty, but at least they've won both games.

I'm sure everything will come together before Thanksgiving, but I was a lot more excited about the Horns playing a surging one loss Aggie team than one struggling with subpar opponents.

See, that's the thing...I'm not mouthing off. And of course I'm not blind to the subpar performances the Ags have put up as of late. I've stated several times how ugly the games have been...I haven't made excuses, but yes I'm very glad we got the W. And to be honest, I don't think that the Thanksgiving game is going to be much of a game at all. I hope it IS but as of right now, I can't say that it will be much of a competition.

You would've been laughed off the board had you posted how The UT was doing in the 1st half. Big secret, football has 4 quarters, not 2.

If it makes you feel better I'll post that UTam has the BEST in football team in Texas & they're undefeated & blah blah blah....

Maybe I should go have 1 more beer & say something stupid, then I'd be a male version of M.

Oh but it's okay for you to mouth off on the Ags when the game isn't even over? Talk about hypocrisy. I really don't give a shit what you post Dio, you embarass yourself enough as it is with how immature your posts on this rivalry are.

then you have missed some of my posts.

Mikey, I apologize.

Mr Dio
10-02-2005, 03:31 PM
See, that's the thing...I'm not mouthing off. And of course I'm not blind to the subpar performances the Ags have put up as of late. I've stated several times how ugly the games have been...I haven't made excuses, but yes I'm very glad we got the W. And to be honest, I don't think that the Thanksgiving game is going to be much of a game at all. I hope it IS but as of right now, I can't say that it will be much of a competition.

Oh but it's okay for you to mouth off on the Ags when the game isn't even over? Talk about hypocrisy. I really don't give a shit what you post Dio, you embarass yourself enough as it is with how immature your posts on this rivalry are.

:lmao
Yeah, you do deserve the tag of femme ag cuz you're very easy to upset.
I think you do give a shit, you obviously aren't mature enough to ignore my posts. :lol :lol :lol

I guess this is more than fun & games to some asses like you Mandy that take the internet so seriously you have to question if you have a life.
You were too easy, you're the female version of FaggieManFan. :lmao

Mr Dio
10-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Let's see how easy it is to get you to reply..I bet you do.

samikeyp
10-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Mikey, I apologize.

None needed, friend. :)

Dio..hey man, relax. Not exactly the proper way to speak to a lady.

Mr Dio
10-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Dio..hey man, relax. Not exactly the proper way to speak to a lady.

Mikey, I say this because I like you. There are 2 sides to this, either treat both sides WITHOUT bias or F**koff.

With that said Mikey, if a female acts like a lady I'll treat & speak to her like one.

samikeyp
10-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I do. I have equally propped the Ags and Longhorns all season.

My point still remains. Relax...its just smack and its all in fun.

oh and if you are going to insult me...don't be a pussy at least be a man and spell out the word fuck. :)

2centsworth
10-02-2005, 06:19 PM
UT has rivalries with OU and A&M, and to a lesser extent Nebraska and Arkansas. There's no room for the Vocational School of Overhyped Offense at Lubbock in j-6's list of meaningful Longhorn rivalries. Perhaps my Aggie counterparts can make an exception, but I'm not.

Beating Tech is something the University of Texas is supposed to do, like beating Baylor. When they lose to the Red/Black Raiders (depending on which yearly uniform change cycle they're on), and I watched that loss in '02, there is no hatred. There's disappointment. Astonishment. Disbelief.

I haven't been to Lubbock in seven or eight years but I bet they have upside-down Longhorn stickers all over the place there, too.
read my respone a little closer and you'll see I was referring to Tech being A&M's Rival.

Mr Dio
10-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Relax...its just smack and its all in fun.

oh and if you are going to insult me...don't be a pussy at least be a man and spell out the word fuck. :)

Exactly AND I can't spell it out, I don't F**Kin' cuss muthaf**ka!!! :lol

samikeyp
10-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Oh..well then, that's different. :lol

Mr Dio
10-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Well O f**kin' K then! :lol

SWC Bonfire
10-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Back to the thread topic.

A&M is a poorly coached team, period. There are mistakes due to age, yes. But the offensive and defensive lines were expected to dominate this year and haven't done it. Special teams coaching the last few years has stunk. It's time to call a spade a spade.

Here's the problem: we are stuck with Fran for a while. The "fire RC" dumbasses are going to learn what it's like rooting for a team without defensive and special teams discipline. But hey, they got their high-powered offense. The reason we are stuck with Fran is that A&M can't fire him if they want to get anyone decent to replace him. No one in their right mind would take that job with that kind of pressure - exhibit A, Alabama. I don't think that Gary Kubiak would leave a cush job in Denver for anything, so that hope should die.

We survived year after year of loosing defensive coordinators. The only constant all those years was RC Slocum's system. Now we don't have that anymore, and the AD's hemmoraging cash like nobody's business. But don't get me started on Byrne. Funny, you can't find anyone who was a "fire RC" guy to admit to it now.

Jimcs50
10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Back to the thread topic.

A&M is a poorly coached team, period. There are mistakes due to age, yes. But the offensive and defensive lines were expected to dominate this year and haven't done it. Special teams coaching the last few years has stunk. It's time to call a spade a spade.

Here's the problem: we are stuck with Fran for a while. The "fire RC" dumbasses are going to learn what it's like rooting for a team without defensive and special teams discipline. But hey, they got their high-powered offense. The reason we are stuck with Fran is that A&M can't fire him if they want to get anyone decent to replace him. No one in their right mind would take that job with that kind of pressure - exhibit A, Alabama. I don't think that Gary Kubiak would leave a cush job in Denver for anything, so that hope should die.

We survived year after year of loosing defensive coordinators. The only constant all those years was RC Slocum's system. Now we don't have that anymore, and the AD's hemmoraging cash like nobody's business. But don't get me started on Byrne. Funny, you can't find anyone who was a "fire RC" guy to admit to it now.

Stop blaming Fran. You forget how horrible A&M was 3 yrs ago. This team is at least exciting to watch unlike the latter RC days where, it was 3 yds and a cloud of dust snorefest.

The Ags are on the rise, they are not in the class of UT, but they can finish 2nd in the Big 12 south this year and get to a decent Bowl game.

This week will be a real test for them. Colorado is for real at home.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Stop blaming Fran. You forget how horrible A&M was 3 yrs ago. This team is at least exciting to watch unlike the latter RC days where, it was 3 yds and a cloud of dust snorefest.

The Ags are on the rise, they are not in the class of UT, but they can finish 2nd in the Big 12 south this year and get to a decent Bowl game.

Well said! I totally agree.

SWC Bonfire
10-03-2005, 12:27 PM

I'm not necessarily blaming Fran as much as I am the entire coaching staff and the general lack of basic football knowledge that is taught to the players. As I mentioned, Fran isn't going anywhere, so I wish for these things to improve. But the team is overly talented and FUNDAMENTALLY bad. That means that coaching has failed at some level, and that's not debatable.

They make such a big deal about the gains in the weight room (which are important and were a real problem with RC's squads), but if you can't transfer those improvements into results on the field you have a team of bodybuilders and not football players.

This team is at least exciting to watch unlike the latter RC days where, it was 3 yds and a cloud of dust snorefest.

Well, Auburn did pretty well last year with a conservative gameplan. I guess we will disagree with this point. A ball control offense that plays mistake-free football combined with a great defense will win more than 9 times out of 10.

TexasAggie2005
10-03-2005, 04:39 PM

This post shows how little you know about Aggie football. Three years ago, A&M beat the #1 team in the country, OU. The team we have now wouldn't be allowed on the same field with the #1 team in the country.

And RC may have been a little conservative, but he sure as hell didn't lose to Baylor. We may have been 6-6 in 2002, but we were competitive in every game (all but one of those losses were by 10 points or less). Keep in mind this was one of RC's worst years. Fran is 11-13 in his first two years including eleven losses by more than 10 points, six by more than 30 points, a 77-0 spanking by OU, and a loss to Baylor. All of this in a time when the Big XII is supposed to be down. And I'm not even including the travesty this season looks like it's shaping up to be. I hope Fran proves me wrong. But I don't see it.

Oscar DeLa
10-03-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't know what it is but the Aggies suck

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 12:07 PM
This post shows how little you know about Aggie football. Three years ago, A&M beat the #1 team in the country, OU. The team we have now wouldn't be allowed on the same field with the #1 team in the country.

And RC may have been a little conservative, but he sure as hell didn't lose to Baylor. We may have been 6-6 in 2002, but we were competitive in every game (all but one of those losses were by 10 points or less). Keep in mind this was one of RC's worst years. Fran is 11-13 in his first two years including eleven losses by more than 10 points, six by more than 30 points, a 77-0 spanking by OU, and a loss to Baylor. All of this in a time when the Big XII is supposed to be down. And I'm not even including the travesty this season looks like it's shaping up to be. I hope Fran proves me wrong. But I don't see it.

so then you think a&m will beat texas or wont?

TexasAggie2005
10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
so then you think a&m will beat texas or wont?

If we play like we've been playing, t.u. wins by 50 easy. If we play to our potential, A&M has a decent chance. The talent's there, it's more execution than anything.

Jimcs50
10-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech is legit, they've beat us more recently than the Agriculturers, right?

Nebraska will beat Tech on Sat.

samikeyp
10-05-2005, 09:33 AM
South Plains 35
Great Plains 14

Jimcs50
10-05-2005, 10:07 AM
South Plains 35
Great Plains 14

No freaking way. The Big Red Machine is back.

TheTruth
10-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Colorado will be completing the Texas sweep this year. BOOK IT.

mookie2001
10-05-2005, 10:10 AM
doubtful

TheTruth
10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Hugh is the best Charles RB in the BIG 12.

mookie2001
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
well not statistically, potentially or realistically

Mr Dio
10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Colorado will be completing the Texas sweep this year. BOOK IT.

C'mon man, a little realism please.

samikeyp
10-05-2005, 10:41 PM
By "Texas sweep" you mean getting swept by the teams from Texas, right? :)

Cant_Be_Faded
12-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Gutless Gutless ags

Easily a top 5 post in College Football Forum history.

mi compadre senor diiiio

Cant_Be_Faded
12-29-2009, 03:39 AM
im going to go out on a limb and say that's mr dio's best quote EVER

:lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
12-29-2009, 03:40 AM

Time keeps on slippin slippin slippin

into the future

mookie2001
12-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Bump in a year

aggys are in the same place except JJ gone and Fuller probably going pro

That's when they ride Christine Michael to the title