PDA

View Full Version : The most ignorant statement in NBA commentator history?

GSH
03-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Jeff Van Gundy, of course. He just said that the Spurs tried to intentionally foul McAdoo, off the ball, WHILE THE SPURS HAD POSSESSION!!!! In other words, he thought that the Spurs would rather foul McAdoo than take a shot of their own. Like McAdoo could miss so badly that they would give negative points?

How could a guy who has coached in the NBA even think something that stupid. How could anyone who could think something that stupid keep a commentator job? Of all the dumbshit comments I have ever heard uttered in sports, that has to be a new record.

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 09:40 PM
Jeff Van Gundy, of course. He just said that the Spurs tried to intentionally foul McAdoo, off the ball, WHILE THE SPURS HAD POSSESSION!!!! In other words, he thought that the Spurs would rather foul McAdoo than take a shot of their own. Like McAdoo could miss so badly that they would give negative points?

How could a guy who has coached in the NBA even think something that stupid. How could anyone who could think something that stupid keep a commentator job? Of all the dumbshit comments I have ever heard uttered in sports, that has to be a new record.

I could not figure what the fuck was going on. I still don't know.

GSH
03-19-2016, 09:41 PM
I could not figure what the fuck was going on. I still don't know.

McAdoo was wrestling with West. West was wrestling back. Ref blew an "inadvertent whistle", and dumbshit Van Gundy thought the Spurs were trying to Hacka-McAdoo, rather than taking their own shot.

Unbefuckinglievable.

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 09:48 PM
McAdoo was wrestling with West. West was wrestling back. Ref blew an "inadvertent whistle", and dumbshit Van Gundy thought the Spurs were trying to Hacka-McAdoo, rather than taking their own shot.

Unbefuckinglievable.

That was weird then.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-19-2016, 09:55 PM
The commentating has been absolute horseshit bias for the Warriors all night. Jackson is a total cuck

Cry Havoc
03-19-2016, 09:55 PM

I'm convinced JVG is slipping into senility. I'm serious. I can't even hate him, b/c I'm genuinely concerned for him. He's becoming Bill Walton in the past ~2 years, only not nearly as lovable.

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 09:58 PM
I'm convinced JVG is slipping into senility. I'm serious. I can't even hate him, b/c I'm genuinely concerned for him. He's becoming Bill Walton in the past ~2 years, only not nearly as lovable.

I hope not. I like him as a commentator. But some shit he says is off the wall.

DMC
03-19-2016, 10:00 PM
I raised an eyebrow when JVG said Kawhi should go after the refs. That seems like crossing the line to me. NBA should insist their affiliates keep the officiating team out of the "cheating" discussions.

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 10:00 PM

Speaking of Walton...there was some west coast college game on and he started talking about global warming and some other random shit in the middle of a close game. For several possessions, he totally ignored what was going on in the court.

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 10:02 PM
I raised an eyebrow when JVG said Kawhi should go after the refs. That seems like crossing the line to me. NBA should insist their affiliates keep the officiating team out of the "cheating" discussions.

Maybe. But his point was right. Top 3 player getting treated like a journeyman.

GSH
03-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Speaking of Walton...there was some west coast college game on and he started talking about global warming and some other random shit in the middle of a close game. For several possessions, he totally ignored what was going on in the court.

Walton I sort of understand. He's not a player anymore, so no piss tests.

Cry Havoc
03-19-2016, 10:03 PM

Just baffling. He's either A) losing it or B) seeing how much shit he can get away with saying on national TV. However, the latter seems unlikely, as he seems utterly convinced by what he's saying.

He's Harry Caray 2.0. It's amazing. JVG is getting there though.

Slomo

Agreed, it's becoming increasingly difficult to listen to him.

KDKSpurs24
The commentating has been absolute horseshit bias for the Warriors all night. Jackson is a total cuck
Chill. No it wasn't. Mark Jackson somewhat but not Van Gundy. You're the bias one here.

Dancelot
03-19-2016, 10:04 PM
This thread is hilarious :lol That was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Walton I sort of understand. He's not a player anymore, so no piss tests.

Lol. And I don't dislike him. In a blowout, its interesting. But to ramble on in a tight game...
Although it was some random ass game anyway.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Chill. No it wasn't. Mark Jackson somewhat but not Van Gundy. You're the bias one here.

Are you fucking serious dude? you are retarded

"This was an outstanding loss for the Warriors"

"Curry is just missing shots, this isnt just the Spurs defense"

"Everything going the spurs way...."

"Warriors playing bad and only down 5"

"Spurs getting all the bounces"

Spurs9
03-19-2016, 10:07 PM
We need bill walton to do a game again

YGWHI
03-19-2016, 10:17 PM

Agree. It's all BS except that one. Despite Danny's great D on him, Curry has made crazy shots this season, this wasn't his game.

DMC
03-19-2016, 10:17 PM
Maybe. But his point was right. Top 3 player getting treated like a journeyman.
No it wasn't. You don't suggest a player go after a ref. This isn't WWE. They need to stop worrying so much about officiating. The entire concept of preferential treatment is supposed to be a myth, so saying Kawhi should get better treatment because of who he is, that's wrong. I'm not saying it is actually a myth, but ideally we want unbiased officiating, not "I'm a star" officiating. We cannot bitch for one then bitch against the ones bigger stars receive over ours.

KDKSpurs24
03-19-2016, 10:19 PM

That's nothing but true shit dude. Minus the not the Spurs defense part but I didn't hear that. They said good stuff about the Spurs constantly. And they didn't even mention shit about the Warriors being on a back to back like I thought they would. You only heard what you wanted to hear.

EVAY
03-19-2016, 10:19 PM
JVG has been making me nuts for several years now, and it didn't change tonight. He says about one sane thing for every 100 idiotic comments.

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 10:20 PM
No it wasn't. You don't suggest a player go after a ref. This isn't WWE. They need to stop worrying so much about officiating. The entire concept of preferential treatment is supposed to be a myth, so saying Kawhi should get better treatment because of who he is, that's wrong. I'm not saying it is actually a myth, but ideally we want unbiased officiating, not "I'm a star" officiating. We cannot bitch for one then bitch against the ones bigger stars receive over ours.

I don't agree with going after a ref...whatever that means. Just that he doesn't get calls that he should.

DMC
03-19-2016, 10:21 PM
I don't agree with going after a ref...whatever that means. Just that he doesn't get calls that he should.

Then you're moving the goalposts. I said "go after the refs". They say all the time that stars get star treatment. I had no problem with that.

TrainOfThought5
03-19-2016, 10:22 PM
"outstanding loss for the warriors" drove me up the wall

ElNono
03-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Bill Walton was a HoF commentator, tbh.... he was likely on shrooms or LCD while doing games...

JVG is also one of the best color guys on TV... he just runs circles around preacher/reggie

pgardn
03-19-2016, 10:25 PM
Just baffling. He's either A) losing it or B) seeing how much shit he can get away with saying on national TV. However, the latter seems unlikely, as he seems utterly convinced by what he's saying.

He's Harry Caray 2.0. It's amazing. JVG is getting there though.

I had no Fckn clue as to why the Spurs would try what Van Gundy was saying. None of the other announcers said anything I did not see any real replay of what JVG was selling. Everyone I was with had literally no explanation...

That was just bizzare.

pgardn
03-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Bill Walton was a HoF commentator, tbh.... he was likely on shrooms or LCD while doing games...

JVG is also one of the best color guys on TV... he just runs circles around preacher/reggie

This is a sad comment on the viewing audience.
Its absolutely horrid.

Comparing slime to slime mold...

mookie2001
03-19-2016, 10:29 PM
I was wondering what he was talking about lol. Of course they never explained what happened

Spurs 4 The Win
03-19-2016, 10:34 PM
That's nothing but true shit dude. Minus the not the Spurs defense part but I didn't hear that. They said good stuff about the Spurs constantly. And they didn't even mention shit about the Warriors being on a back to back like I thought they would. You only heard what you wanted to hear.

Lol okay man, enjoy the win, Im not gonna let your debbie downer bullshit bring me down. Later :lol

KDKSpurs24
03-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Lol okay man, enjoy the win, Im not gonna let your debbie downer bullshit bring me down. Later :lol
Hell I am enjoying it. I'm glad you're tapping out early so I can keep enjoying it even more. Later. :toast

HarlemHeat37
03-19-2016, 10:38 PM
He's much better than any of the TNT guys, tbh..

SpursforSix
03-19-2016, 11:26 PM
Then you're moving the goalposts. I said "go after the refs". They say all the time that stars get star treatment. I had no problem with that.

I didn't move the goalposts. VanGundys point was that he doesn't get the same calls that other stars do. I agree with that.

DAF86
03-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Apparently JVG was right. Pop told West to foul McAdoo on the next GS offensive possesion and West had a brain fart and fouled him while SA had the ball. The refs at first called the foul but then backed down. It's on ESPN's recap.

UZER
:lol thought the same thing. Why the fuck would the spurs foul when they have the ball!? And he kept harping on it like a dumbass.

ElNono
This is a sad comment on the viewing audience.
Its absolutely horrid.

Comparing slime to slime mold...

A Bill Walton autograph is one of my most cherished NBA possessions, tbh... his "Is <insert player name> the best, most impactful NBA player right now?" comments are a classic...

bklynspursfan
03-19-2016, 11:31 PM
i think kerr and pop were joking about that after the game, when they met at half court

Ron Swanson
03-19-2016, 11:32 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1069021.1335607117!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/knicksheathistory28s-2-web.jpg

pgardn
03-19-2016, 11:37 PM

This is not a compliment.

pgardn
03-19-2016, 11:42 PM
A Bill Walton autograph is one of my most cherished NBA possessions, tbh... his "Is <insert player name> the best, most impactful NBA player right now?" comments are a classic...

His head eventually exploded when he ran out of superlatives for the next game, and the next...

Seriously though, had he not been injured possibly a top 10 player. He was amazing. Rebounding, passing , blocking shots... That Portland championship year was incredible. People only remember his shadow playing with the Celtics it seems.

ElNono
03-19-2016, 11:47 PM
His head eventually exploded when he ran out of superlatives for the next game, and the next...

Seriously though, had he not been injured possibly a top 10 player. He was amazing. Rebounding, passing , blocking shots... That Portland championship year was incredible. People only remember his shadow playing with the Celtics it seems.

He was commenting a Nets-Spurs game for ESPN when I met him. He was very gracious. But, it hurt just to watch him walk. Probably the main reason he stopped doing games for ESPN. I've seen him lately doing college games, so I'm glad he's still around.

Magic Johnson was another guy we got an autograph and photo with, also a very nice guy, tbh... you hear stories about HoFs being pricks, but those two guys were great, tbh

pgardn
03-20-2016, 12:02 AM

Oops...

Explained by ESPN.

Everyone was confused as Captain West misunderstood orders apparently:

David West (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2177/david-west) committed an intentional foul per Popovich's order, but the Spurs coach screamed "not now." Crawford initially blew his whistle when West grabbed a Warriors player, but signaled my mistake. Popovich and Kerr both chuckled over the foul that turned into a non-foul.

GSH
03-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Oops...

Explained by ESPN.

Everyone was confused as Captain West misunderstood orders apparently:

David West (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2177/david-west) committed an intentional foul per Popovich's order, but the Spurs coach screamed "not now." Crawford initially blew his whistle when West grabbed a Warriors player, but signaled my mistake. Popovich and Kerr both chuckled over the foul that turned into a non-foul.

LOL... if that's really true, then it's one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen a player do AND an unforgivable thing for a ref to do. Why would a ref rescind a foul that he saw happen? Are the refs seriously doing whatever a coach tells them to do? Pop says, "I didn't want a foul there" and so the guy decides not to call it?

I'd love to hear either Pop or West confirm that's what happened.

z0sa
03-20-2016, 12:09 AM

Yup.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-20-2016, 12:13 AM
JVG was right there and heard Pop telling West to intentionally foul (I assume) so I think JVG was right

I really just wanted an excuse to post this http://youtu.be/p43HkdcNwrA

Wildcat67
03-20-2016, 01:13 AM
I got really annoyed with all the "The Warriors are so great to only be down X points." Yeah they weren't shooting as good as normal but neither were the Spurs so that cancels out. Why was there almost no comment on how the Spurs were shutting down the best offense in the league.

Also when Kawhi got the offensive rebound up 5 to basically seal the game, thought it was really dumb that somehow all three commentators had nothing to say.... just pure silence like their dog just got shot.

Dro210
03-20-2016, 01:23 AM
JVG was right there and heard Pop telling West to intentionally foul (I assume) so I think JVG was right

I really just wanted an excuse to post this http://youtu.be/p43HkdcNwrA

Ira Newble, the original Spur with braids :lol

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 01:27 AM
"outstanding loss for the warriors" drove me up the wall

:lmao Who said that, when?

Obstructed_View
03-20-2016, 10:55 AM

I think you misunderstand what he meant. He meant that Kawhi needs to get some technicals to establish his expectations to the officials and get some respect. I think he needs to do that too, and I mentioned it a few games back, but I know that Pop has told them to let him do the talking to the officials. That would be great if Pop were actually getting anywhere with the officials on his players' behalf, but instead the Spurs have become the team with the fewest FTA in the league.

pgardn
03-20-2016, 10:58 AM
LOL... if that's really true, then it's one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen a player do AND an unforgivable thing for a ref to do. Why would a ref rescind a foul that he saw happen? Are the refs seriously doing whatever a coach tells them to do? Pop says, "I didn't want a foul there" and so the guy decides not to call it?

I'd love to hear either Pop or West confirm that's what happened.

Now see this is an interesting phenomenon. Refs anticipating intentional fouls based on orders from the bench. And the fact the ref rescinded and called it inadvertent.

DMC
03-20-2016, 12:09 PM
I think you misunderstand what he meant. He meant that Kawhi needs to get some technicals to establish his expectations to the officials and get some respect. I think he needs to do that too, and I mentioned it a few games back, but I know that Pop has told them to let him do the talking to the officials. That would be great if Pop were actually getting anywhere with the officials on his players' behalf, but instead the Spurs have become the team with the fewest FTA in the league.

Because officials respect guys who get technical fouls for arguing. Kawhi just needs to play basketball and leave the officiating disagreements to Pop.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Because officials respect guys who get technical fouls for arguing.
Whether or not they respect them is irrelevant, but they give them more free throw attempts. It's human nature. Superstars that get calls usually get technicals. Check the stats. Tim Duncan got 11 technicals in the 01/02 season, and he had forty more FTA than any other year in his career.

Now Kawhi has never gotten a tech in his career. Nobody's asking him to become Rasheed Wallace, here. I'm thinking one or two would probably do the trick.

Kawhi just needs to play basketball and leave the officiating disagreements to Pop.
And how's that working out, you say? Pop has the second most technicals among coaches, the players are tied with the Sixers for fewest, and the Spurs are dead last in the entire league in FTA.

DMC
03-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Whether or not they respect them is irrelevant, but they give them more free throw attempts. It's human nature. Superstars that get calls usually get technicals. Check the stats. Tim Duncan got 11 technicals in the 01/02 season, and he had forty more FTA than any other year in his career.

Now Kawhi has never gotten a tech in his career. Nobody's asking him to become Rasheed Wallace, here. I'm thinking one or two would probably do the trick.

And how's that working out, you say? Pop has the second most technicals among coaches, the players are tied with the Sixers for fewest, and the Spurs are dead last in the entire league in FTA.

Yet they have the best record in the history of the franchise. Go figure.

Spurtacular
03-24-2016, 07:40 PM
West did try and foul McAdoo. Still funny to watch the Warriors cry about not getting the call though. I don't know what the fuck West was thinking...

gospursgojas
03-24-2016, 09:43 PM
West is the bonehead in this one. Pop was telling him to foul McAdoo assuming West would know he meant on the other end and West fouled him right then and there. JVG was just pointing out that it was odd.

100%duncan
03-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Thought the same :lmao

Obstructed_View
03-24-2016, 10:21 PM
Yet they have the best record in the history of the franchise. Go figure.

I'm not sure why you bring this up. Are you suggesting that the refs are the reason the Spurs have such a good record? If not, then I don't see how the Spurs' record is relevant to the conversation.

DenialTwist
03-25-2016, 04:40 AM
I got really annoyed with all the "The Warriors are so great to only be down X points." Yeah they weren't shooting as good as normal but neither were the Spurs so that cancels out. Why was there almost no comment on how the Spurs were shutting down the best offense in the league.

Also when Kawhi got the offensive rebound up 5 to basically seal the game, thought it was really dumb that somehow all three commentators had nothing to say.... just pure silence like their dog just got shot.

Because everyone says the warriors only lose when the splash brothers have poor games. Basically discrediting the opposing team's performance. It was very annoying. The spurs defense was excellent, and it was a factor in their poor shooting. We all know MJax wanted the spurs to win lol he is still bitter about the warriors firing him, but JVG is a warriors supporter, didn't you hear him say the spurs had "no chance" to catch up to them in the seeding. He even said last time that the warriors would go 16-0. Ugh. Fuck then, might as well give the warriors the trophy, cancel the playoffs and deliver the trophy to Oakland lol

Tas Melas and Ramona Shelburne said the same thing after the warriors lost in San Antonio. Shelburne was like "this loss means nothing for the warriors" it's just a regular season game. Well, it does mean something because the Warriors wanted to run the table and sweep the spurs in the regular season to prove that no one can stop them and they haven't won in SA in a long time.

Neurosis
03-25-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't mind JVG. Some of the shit he says gives me a belly laugh, so I can forgive the stuff that almost gives me aneurysms.

He's a net positive overall. I like pretty much all the commentators, even TNT guys. They're there as much for their personalities as they are for their expertise. Listening to Reggie and Chuck argue is part of the show.

GSH
03-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Now see this is an interesting phenomenon. Refs anticipating intentional fouls based on orders from the bench. And the fact the ref rescinded and called it inadvertent.

West is the bonehead in this one. Pop was telling him to foul McAdoo assuming West would know he meant on the other end and West fouled him right then and there. JVG was just pointing out that it was odd.

Saw this get resurrected. Yeah, turns out JVG was right, and it was West that was stupid. Can't believe he thought he should intentionally foul on the offensive end.

But that ref? If you're going to quick-call intentional fouls when alerted, you can't un-call them when the team says, "Oops." Adam Silver should have suspended that ref for at least a game. That rescinded whistle made a big difference in the game. If that happened against the Spurs, every fan here would have screamed. A few would still be screaming.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Saw this get resurrected. Yeah, turns out JVG was right, and it was West that was stupid. Can't believe he thought he should intentionally foul on the offensive end.

But that ref? If you're going to quick-call intentional fouls when alerted, you can't un-call them when the team says, "Oops." Adam Silver should have suspended that ref for at least a game. That rescinded whistle made a big difference in the game. If that happened against the Spurs, every fan here would have screamed. A few would still be screaming.

Agreed on all points, but I went back and watched the replay and couldn't for the life of me see an intentional foul. I think the ref is the one who made the mistake, not West. West made contact with him but it looked like defense to me.

GSH
03-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Agreed on all points, but I went back and watched the replay and couldn't for the life of me see an intentional foul. I think the ref is the one who made the mistake, not West. West made contact with him but it looked like defense to me.

LOL. I don't have it recorded. That was what I thought when it was live. Weird sequence.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2016, 10:07 PM
LOL. I don't have it recorded. That was what I thought when it was live. Weird sequence.

Definitely weird. I don't think I have it anymore either. But because JVG mentioned it, I went back to look a few times and couldn't see an intentional foul, so naturally I assumed he was crazy or something. I guess he heard the same thing the ref did and made the same assumption. Unless West copped to it I think I'd give him benefit of the doubt.