PDA

View Full Version : Warriors "death ball" lineup

sexinthatsx
03-20-2016, 11:34 AM
I know a lot of posters are still freaking out about the absence of Andre Igoudala in yesterday's matchup, but just how important is Igoudala in the lineup?

We know that Warriors' small ball lineup consists of: Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Barnes, and Raymond Green.

Considering that Spurs are going to keep the lineup that has worked last night (TP, Green, Kawhi, Diaw, and LMA), I just don't see how Igoudala could match up defensively with Diaw, and Raymond Green can match up defensively with LMA. Granted, Raymond had some good stops on LMA, I just don't see how Spurs can't expose the Warriors by just having Diaw post up in the paint against Barnes every single play. Igoudala on Kawhi would neutralize both players, so I know Kawhi won't be putting up big numbers against them.

Cry Havoc
03-20-2016, 11:42 AM
It's definitely not going to work if LMA is on like he was last night.

They HAVE to put Bogut on the floor in those cases.

apalisoc_9
03-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Iggy would have given them a ball handler and a defender. Hes huge

wildbill2u
03-20-2016, 11:48 AM
It's definitely not going to work if LMA is on like he was last night.

They HAVE to put Bogut on the floor in those cases.

Aha! If they put Bogut on the floor, we have them where we want them. We counter with Boban the Bogut Destroyer. :ihit

exstatic
03-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Bogut is a china doll. He's 31, plays 4 minutes less per game than Duncan, and has missed almost as many games as his 39 YO counterpart.

sexinthatsx
03-20-2016, 12:04 PM

I get the part about being a good ball handler and creating better spacing, but for the defense part, I just think Spurs might have the offensive edge.

tmtcsc
03-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Iguodala's absence may have hurt GS's rotations but he's not a major factor, they've got a bunch of those dudes. As for Bogut, I doubt he sees much time against the Spurs. He slows their offense down and we win that matchup.

apalisoc_9
03-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Iggy is huge for the warriors because it gives them a ball handler to run the death lineup of iggy-thompson-curry-barnes-raymond...

Livingston is horrible fit with that lineup because he cant shoot corner threes and hes used to a different style of offense of the bench.

Not having iggy in that lineup limits the Godly ability of the warriors to get curry and thompson easy points off the ball...

Iggy's is really important for them.

All Mighty Janitor
03-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Iggy is huge for the warriors because it gives them a ball handler to run the death lineup of iggy-thompson-curry-barnes-raymond...

Livingston is horrible fit with that lineup because he cant shoot corner threes and hes used to a different style of offense of the bench.

Not having iggy in that lineup limits the Godly ability of the warriors to get curry and thompson easy points off the ball...

Iggy's is really important for them.
This right here.

Also, Iggy is not just one of their many wings; he's the best one. He's their best perimeter defender and would guard Kawhi not Diaw. Iggy could prevent us from running offence through Kawhi by denying him the ball. He's also very good at guarding straight up. On offence Iggy helps hem space the floor particularly when their in transition and, more importantly, he will find Klay or Curry spotting up. I don't think he would have effected the outcome of yesterdays game because they didn't get out and run like normal where Iggy's most helpful.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2016, 01:24 PM
:lol Iguodala is a massive part of their team, tbh..

He was their 2nd best player in the playoffs and he's their 3rd most important player overall(behind Curry and Green)..

Budkin
03-20-2016, 01:25 PM
There's a reason Iggy won Finals MVP. The guy is invaluable to their attack.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Kawhi is a superstar, an MVP candidate and Finals MVP. Iguadola is a bench player. Kawhi would destroy Iggy on the offensive and defensive side of the court. Any player of Kawhis pedigree would foam at the mouth for this opportunity.

PrimeMinister
03-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Kawhi has taken PG, he's handled LeBron, he can handle Durant, he can handle iguodala as well. Not concerned. It's been obvious all year our versatility in the front court will give the Warriors trouble. We have more poise, more experience, and we're a better team. With or without the guys they were missing last night.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Iguodala isn't scary as a 1-on-1 player, at all, nobody said that..he's huge for them as both an individual and team defender and playmaker, though, especially feeding off the attention that Curry draws..

Outside of Draymond and Curry, they don't have any playmakers(unless you count Bogut, I suppose) outside of him..Thompson and Barnes are horrible playmakers/creators, for example, the Spurs would live with them trying to score on their own like they tried last night, all day..

UZER
03-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Bogut is a china doll. He's 31, plays 4 minutes less per game than Duncan, and has missed almost as many games as his 39 YO counterpart.

Exactly. I've just been waiting for him to get hurt as a warrior. He was healthy last year and played well for them but the was an anomaly.

spursistan
03-20-2016, 01:48 PM
control the pace, cut the Turnovers and we got a chance..Spurs were still sloppy with the ball last night..

TrainOfThought5
03-20-2016, 01:51 PM
control the pace, cut the Turnovers and we got a chance..Spurs were still sloppy with the ball last night..

I couldnt believe how many times we threw the ball away, to the other team, or just bumbled it in the post. wtf are these guys doing?

lefty20
03-20-2016, 01:51 PM
He's their finals MVP. He's the one they turn to when Steph, Klay and Green are shitting their collective pants.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-20-2016, 01:52 PM
This is like the Suns series of 2007, with the exception that Golden State is 1000x better than that Pheonix team. But basically if you take them out of their rhythm and control the pace then you can beat them but you wont if you try to run and gun with them .

JeffDuncan
03-20-2016, 02:07 PM
... Igoudala on Kawhi would neutralize both players, ...

You are a fruitcake. Nah, I suppose you just don't know some facts.

Iguodala and Kawhi have been opponents in six Spurs-Warriors games since the season that ended in 2013. Iggy outscored Kawhi in the game in Feb of last year. Otherwise, Kawhi has tromped Iggy in scoring since 2013.

Last six games, Kawhi v Iguodala, points scored.

K 13, Iggy 9 (Iggy played 14 more minutes than K) 11/8/13
K 21, Iggy 6 (K played 4 more min than Iggy) 12/19/13
K 19, Iggy 2 (Iggy played 22+ minutes to get those 2 pts) 11/11/14
Iggy 14, K 12 (Iggy played 27 min, K played 19) 2/20/15
K 26, Iggy 10 (Almost identical playing times: -- Iggy 24:32, K 24:23) 4/5/15
K 16, Iggy 5 (Iggy 23 min, K 25 min) 1/25/16

You won't neutralize Kawhi with Iggy except in some devout Warrior fan's drug-induced fantasy.

But hey, if the Warriors want to try it, bring it on.

DAF86
03-20-2016, 02:15 PM

He's another unreliable shooter from we can cheat off though. If you can sag off Green and Iggy, then sudenly the Warriors don't become all that difficult to guard, tbh.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Barnes is actually the X factor in that line-up.

Emperor
03-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Barnes is actually the X factor in that line-up.

And Bobo has the ability to devour him when called upon thankfully.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:12 PM
I couldnt believe how many times we threw the ball away, to the other team, or just bumbled it in the post. wtf are these guys doing?

Turnobili on top of that....

TrainOfThought5
03-20-2016, 04:00 PM
He's another unreliable shooter from we can cheat off though. If you can sag off Green and Iggy, then sudenly the Warriors don't become all that difficult to guard, tbh.

Id rather limit their 3s by any means necessary. I was disgusted by how many wide open looks rush had last game.

Mikeanaro
03-20-2016, 04:32 PM
He's their finals MVP when they play a depleted team and almost lose the series thank god Irving was gone.
fify

DAF86
03-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Id rather limit their 3s by any means necessary. I was disgusted by how many wide open looks rush had last game.

I'd rather give Green and Iggy open 3s to limit Curry and Klay's ones.

Atl Spur
03-20-2016, 04:43 PM
It's funny how everyone speaks about how we have to handle them, I bet you a dollar to a doughnut Steve Kerr is wondering how to handle us! If LaMarcus can continue this type of play, Golden State is in trouble! They don't have any answer for our post up game which is equivalent as a team running the football in the NFL! Have anyone not noticed we have three post up options to gather easy buckets or fouls on those undersized players?

dabom
03-20-2016, 04:43 PM

Iguodala and Kawhi have been opponents in six Spurs-Warriors games since the season that ended in 2013. Iggy outscored Kawhi in the game in Feb of last year. Otherwise, Kawhi has tromped Iggy in scoring since 2013.

You won't neutralize Kawhi with Iggy except in some devout Warrior fan's drug-induced fantasy.

I already posted earlier iggy is non existent vs the Spurs

TheGreatYacht
03-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Ginobili handling the ball <<<

Mugen
03-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Iggy is a big part of their team. Much more important than known playoff losers like Klay & Barnes tbh.

lefty20
03-20-2016, 05:34 PM
fify

How does that change any of what I said? Iggy helps picks them up when the other 3 choke, regardless of health and quality of opponent.

phxspurfan
03-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Iguodala's absence may have hurt GS's rotations but he's not a major factor, they've got a bunch of those dudes. As for Bogut, I doubt he sees much time against the Spurs. He slows their offense down and we win that matchup.

I think Kerr plays Bogut a bit if he's healthy. Bogut out-rebounds everyone on our team except Duncan, and sets those picks to free up their shooters.

Mikeanaro
03-20-2016, 06:31 PM
How does that change any of what I said? Iggy helps picks them up when the other 3 choke, regardless of health and quality of opponent.
Iguana is not very good and has not been a part of Warrefs success this season, if you look at every game they played this season his numbers are really lame, most times when Curry is cold Thompson picks, and if those 2 are in a bad night god help them...mouthbreather has been more important saving games than Igu.

100%duncan
03-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Iggy is very important to the warriors tbh

sexinthatsx
03-21-2016, 05:42 PM

Do you know for a fact that Iguodala guarded Kawhi for the entire time he was on the floor? With so much switching on defense these stats mean absolutely nothing. Which is why I created this thread in the first place - it's not so much 1 on 1 defense, but the entire lineup into consideration. Also, make sure you've been on the forum for longer than a year before calling other posters a fruitcake, it makes yourself look bad.

dabom
03-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Do you know for a fact that Iguodala guarded Kawhi for the entire time he was on the floor? With so much switching on defense these stats mean absolutely nothing. Which is why I created this thread in the first place - it's not so much 1 on 1 defense, but the entire lineup into consideration. Also, make sure you've been on the forum for longer than a year before calling other posters a fruitcake, it makes yourself look bad.

I have never known Iggy to shut down Kawhi. Or any player from the warriettes team.

sexinthatsx
03-21-2016, 05:53 PM
I have never known Iggy to shut down Kawhi. Or any player from the warriettes team.

I know, but what I mean by neutralize is that it is more likely that other Spurs players are getting better looks and points than Kawhi. It's not to say that Iggy can flat out stop him.

CGD
03-21-2016, 06:18 PM
Iggy is key for them but the spurs will continue to pick on Barnes much like they have over the years. That's the key to slowing that death line up. Diaw exposed Barnes on offense while more than holding his own on D.

If the Spurs can match that line up even for a little bit and force Kerr to think about going big, that's a huge win for the Spurs.

maverick1948
03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Everyone keeps pointing out that Bogat didn't play. Basically, Timmy didn't either. Against the smaller lineup, Timmy was not effective. Diaw just crushed Barnes. LMA rattled Green. FWIW Parker did an excellent job on D. Danny and Kawhi were,well Danny and Kawhi on D.

Bogat can't stop Timmy. Green can't handle LMA. Barnes can't handle anybody. Iggy is an anomaly not sure what he will do in any game.

Maybe if everyone would look at things, we could all see that both teams are good. Neither is going to sweep the other. Gonna be 2 more good games before the season ends.