PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry: System Player

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:05 PM
You start taking out cogs like Bogut and Iggy and all the sudden he's reduced to being a chucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlrHFfPxx4s

dbreiden83080
03-20-2016, 03:08 PM
I find it almost disgusting some of the shots he takes. It's like a baseball player looking for the HR in almost every at bat. But he like no player ever, can make these awful shots with consistency..

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:13 PM
I find it almost disgusting some of the shots he takes. It's like a baseball player looking for the HR in almost every at bat. But he like no player ever, can make these awful shots with consistency..

Well, when he has that extra split second to calibrate, those shots are often falling; and confidence builds. The Spurs turned the tables.

PopTheGOAT
03-20-2016, 03:17 PM
I'd say about 4 of those shots could've gone in on a normal shooting day for Curry. But I've said a couple of times now, I think Danny got in his head early on

dbreiden83080
03-20-2016, 03:18 PM
When Curry is on he pretty much gets past half court, and he's in range.

SquawkinHawkBigCock
03-20-2016, 03:24 PM
He is and always will be a massive chucker, just happens he actually has the skill to hit some of them.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:26 PM
I'd say about 4 of those shots could've gone in on a normal shooting day for Curry. But I've said a couple of times now, I think Danny got in his head early on

TBH, I was happy to see a lot of those shots go up. That's how godawful his selection was.

Blake
03-20-2016, 03:29 PM
First system to ever let a player shoot a three as soon as he gets past half court

03-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Yeah that blocked rattled him. He's a great player, but also seems to thrive off confidence. It'll be hard to beat them @GS in the playoffs, but we only need to steal one if we protect our home court.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:33 PM
First system to ever let a player shoot a three as soon as he gets past half court

Not when he's guarded.

03-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Exactly. He is the system. Most of GS's points came off the Spurs entire defense honing in on the MVP.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Yeah that blocked rattled him. He's a great player, but also seems to thrive off confidence. It'll be hard to beat them @GS in the playoffs, but we only need to steal one if we protect our home court.

Spurs still gunning for the 1 seed at this point. Gonna have to see if GS loses some games here.

03-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Spurs still gunning for the 1 seed at this point. Gonna have to see if GS loses some games here.
Hopefully Pop plays for the 1 seed if GS stays in range.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Exactly. He is the system. Most of GS's points came off the Spurs entire defense honing in on the MVP.

Well, then, the system last night produced a lot of bricks. Helluva a system! :lmao

UZER
03-20-2016, 03:38 PM

He loves his highlights. When Danny blocked him, he was doing everything he could to get off another shot with fancy dribbling for the "highlight" play.

Harry Callahan
03-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Don't see SA catching them with the small number of games left.

Hopefully the 8 seed and 4/5 seeds can knock their guards around physically and compromise them a little bit for later on. If Houston plays GSW in round one, there will be little defense on the GSW guards.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 03:42 PM
He loves his highlights. When Danny blocked him, he was doing everything he could to get off another shot with fancy dribbling for the "highlight" play.

PopTheGOAT
03-20-2016, 03:42 PM
And this season has been pure confidence for him. No one had even blocked ONE of his shots before yesterday. Ridiculous. The one downfall of how much success he and their team has had is that they've gotten so adjusted to success that they may have forgotten how to overcome failure. It's like the spoiled kid that gets everything he/she wants, then experiences the real world.

Splits
03-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Spurs have the weakest SOS in the entire league to date, meaning the most difficult set of games left. No way they're catching the Dubs.

UZER
03-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Spurs have the weakest SOS in the entire league to date, meaning the most difficult set of games left. No way they're catching the Dubs.

The warriors have had the easier schedule recently related to days off between games. They do not have two days off the rest of the season so if they're tired now, its not gonna get easier.

TrainOfThought5
03-20-2016, 03:56 PM

That block after the recovery, and always pressuring his dribble, was instrumental to disrupting his rhythm. I just wish he wouldve hit a few more 3s.

TrainOfThought5
03-20-2016, 03:57 PM

I have a feeling that theyll also be favored in every game except GSW on their home floor.

Nathan89
03-20-2016, 04:00 PM
He's great but he greatly benefits from his from his team. There aren't any Tony Allen's, Andre Roberson's, or Jeff Green's. They don't have anyone completely inept at dribbling like Danny Green. They always have 4 shooters and 4 people who can dribble on the court. Then they have two bigs who are great passers which maximizes his off the ball play. Which is extremely successful because they also have Klay running around and other shooters spotting up.

BatManu20
03-20-2016, 04:02 PM
This is dumb.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 04:35 PM
He's great but he greatly benefits from his from his team. There aren't any Tony Allen's, Andre Roberson's, or Jeff Green's. They don't have anyone completely inept at dribbling like Danny Green. They always have 4 shooters and 4 people who can dribble on the court. Then they have two bigs who are great passers which maximizes his off the ball play. Which is extremely successful because they also have Klay running around and other shooters spotting up.

Exactly what I'm saying; take away pieces and Curry goes from GOAT candidate to mere all-star (and when he's chucking, not even that).

Blake
03-20-2016, 04:39 PM

I wonder if anyone was ever not a system player then

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 04:41 PM
I wonder if anyone was ever not a system player then

Duncan and Bird are the two I'd argue for. Their teams were gonna win 50 no matter who you put on the floor with them.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Wow, people are really going crazy over 1 poor shooting game:lol

If Curry is a system player, then so is every other great player we've ever seen, tbh..his team looks very ordinary when he's off the floor..

TheGreatYacht
03-20-2016, 04:45 PM
System = Moving screens

Scrub is useless without them. LOL @ him chucking so hard to keep his consecutive 3pt streak alive

Nathan89
03-20-2016, 05:06 PM
System = Moving screens

Scrub is useless without them. LOL @ him chucking so hard to keep his consecutive 3pt streak alive

Streak mean nothing. He takes 11 3's per game. He damn well better make 1.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 05:41 PM
System = Moving screens

You see Kerr spazz and pick up the T when Spews got called for moving three feet to free Klyde? That was the only moving screen I recall too; seems strange.

phxspurfan
03-20-2016, 05:42 PM

That's what I'm saying. No way he hits those for a good percentage when his career is over.

phxspurfan
03-20-2016, 05:42 PM

If Curry is a system player, then so is every other great player we've ever seen, tbh..his team looks very ordinary when he's off the floor..

It's like 07-08 Suns with Nash off the floor, or any Dallas team with Dirk off the floor, or any LeBron team with LeBron off the floor. He's clearly far and away their best player.

Hoops Czar
03-20-2016, 06:02 PM

That's like saying Kawhi Leonard is a product of the Spurs system or Michael Jordan was a product of Scottie Pippen. :lol

DenialTwist
03-20-2016, 07:27 PM
System = Moving screens

That's the problem. When Bogut comes back the moving screens won't get called.

Nathan89
03-20-2016, 07:45 PM
That's like saying Kawhi Leonard is a product of the Spurs system or Michael Jordan was a product of Scottie Pippen. :lol

All those players are elite defenders on their own so that is a major difference. Curry's team allows him to maximize is best attribute and that's offense. Without a complete team to make that attribute shine so bright he looks a lot less appealing. Of course he's still a great offensive player.

100%duncan
03-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Lol no

james evans
03-20-2016, 09:23 PM
When Curry is wide open, he pretty much gets past half court, and he's in range.
I fixed that quote for you

BillMc
03-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Until Kevin Durant calls him a system player, I won't believe it.

Arcadian
03-20-2016, 10:02 PM
You know what, the OP is right. With a player like Curry, there's a very fine line between "chucker" and "amazing shooter." He was considered a chucker before he became an MVP, and he could very well revert back to chucker status if he doesn't maintain an amazing 3P% for the rest of his career.

You have to ask yourself: How sustainable is his style of play?

Nathan89
03-20-2016, 10:04 PM
System player is a huge overstatement but he greatly benefits from a stacked team. This typical of Spurstalk though to take a little truth and go overboard.

look_at_g_shred
03-20-2016, 10:10 PM

If LMA can be put under a microscope after their first meeting, then so can curry tbh

ElNono
03-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Curry will likely end as one of the top 10-15 players this game has ever seen, IMO, barring catastrophic injury...

BSfromTX
03-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Curry will likely end as one of the top 10-15 players this game has ever seen, IMO, barring catastrophic injury...

He would have to continue this for at least 3-4 years...a lot of great players 1-15, curry has to do this for a much longer time.

Spurtacular
03-20-2016, 10:42 PM

As maybe Kawhi will. That didn't stop Durant from calling him a system player.

ElNono
03-20-2016, 11:11 PM
He would have to continue this for at least 3-4 years...a lot of great players 1-15, curry has to do this for a much longer time.

sure, no doubt

mingus
03-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Great gr at player, but as he gets into his early thirties, he's going fall off considerably unless he finds a way to get buckets in other ways. Happens to every player, but I think since his game is so predicated on taking those long ass shots, as he ages he lose the leg strength that allows him to make them like he is now. He looks very pedestrian when he's not hitting that ridiculous shit.

4down
03-20-2016, 11:56 PM
They need that Aussie continental drift to get Curry to that extra level of insane. He's insanely good without em, but there's a reason Kerr went nuts about a moving screen call.

still.focused
03-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Spurstalk = A hyperoble marathon

aal04
03-21-2016, 12:22 AM
You gonna tell me you would NOT give Curry a green light to shoot from anywhere if he was on our team?

Wildcat67
03-21-2016, 12:58 AM
You can say he is unlikely to miss so many again, but Kawhi was missing layups that he normally makes.

I would much rather have my guy missing layups with the hope he will hit them next time, then a guy missing 3s with the hope he will make them next time.

Blake
03-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Well if he ends up in the top 12, then 13 will be the new 12 .

DMC
03-21-2016, 08:28 AM
The stupid in this thread is amazing.

r0drig0lac
03-21-2016, 09:32 AM
You know what, the OP is right. With a player like Curry, there's a very fine line between "chucker" and "amazing shooter." He was considered a chucker before he became an MVP, and he could very well revert back to chucker status if he doesn't maintain an amazing 3P% for the rest of his career.

You have to ask yourself: How sustainable is his style of play?

When Curry was considered a chucker?

Spurtacular
03-21-2016, 02:56 PM
You gonna tell me you would NOT give Curry a green light to shoot from anywhere if he was on our team?

Green light is one thing; but you see the shot Curry took in the last minute down 5? It clearly was a desperation heave even for a player of his shooting prowess.

Spurtacular
06-15-2016, 05:26 AM
In case we forgot that this thread was already made before the finals.

Spurtacular
06-19-2016, 11:33 PM
System player looking nothing like a star in those finals; he shot 40 FG.

Russ
06-19-2016, 11:43 PM
The paradigm was to have changed forever. Or for at least for the next draft cycle.

"Live by the jump shot, die by the jump shot" was to have been forever retired. Steph Curry placed the stake in its heart.

Forget the big man, that's yesterday's game, they said.

But now, perhaps, the NBA GMs are back to scrambling for the next trend, like lemmings.

Good luck, guys.

r0drig0lac
06-20-2016, 05:27 AM
unfortunately Warriors is the most talented league team and your system is innovative, they will do some adjustments and will be the team to beat next year again (I hope I'm wrong, I can not support kerr, dray, klay, iggy and especially steph)