View Full Version : Big Dog to retire?

Walton Buys Off Me
09-27-2005, 11:22 AM
From the Northwest Indiana News;

Big Dog learns about true 'pain'

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 12:32 AM CDT

al hamnik
times columnist

Some decisions require lots of soul-searching, like whether or not to play pro basketball at age 32 with painful bone spurs in both ankles and elbows.

Or do you glance at your NBA championship ring, feeling quite content, and retire from a sport that has made you a millionaire several times over?

This is Glenn Robinson's dilemma.

We should all be so lucky.

"When I get a lot of rest, I'm fine. But when I really, really pound it, that's when I have a little trouble with it," said Robinson, a Gary native who has undergone ineffective surgery on both ankles and his right elbow. "It's just a matter of do I want to play through it? I don't want to be out there hobblin' around and hurtin' and not able to play up to my potential.

"When I was young, I could play through the pain. But each year now, it gets tougher and tougher."

Robinson was a bench player with the San Antonio Spurs late last season and would love to return and help challenge for a second straight title. But he's heard nothing from coach Gregg Popovich and isn't thrilled with the thought of going to a non-contender and having to play more than 32 minutes a night.

"I think about retiring when I'm out there hurtin' and strugglin' and can't play...," Robinson said. "I see guys out there I had been killin' for the last 10 years and now they've got a little confidence against me. That's frustrating."

Some decisions require lots of soul-searching.

However, Robinson would rather talk about what the league's players can do to help the thousands of families uprooted along the Gulf Coast by Hurricane Katrina. That's a no-brainer. You grab your checkbook like you would an outlet pass and you make something happen.

Robinson recently donated $25,000 to the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund through the NBA Players Association. He is also providing clothing for the homeless.

"I'm just trying to reach out and give back," said Robinson. "The majority of New Orleans is inner city. It reminds me a lot of Gary. I feel for the people of New Orleans. I watched a little bit of it on TV, but I had to turn the TV off. It was too tough to watch.

"It brought back memories like 9/11 -- memories you really try to forget about, but you can't. So you try to make it better."

Katrina's wrath and devastation forced the Big Dog to look long and hard in the mirror and re-evaluate his own life. Bottom line: A productive 11-year NBA career has him set for life.

"We worry about the small things," said Robinson. "Here I am, worrying about my ankles, my elbows and bone spurs. But what it boils down to is, I'm still able to walk and I'm still able to run a little bit."

And unlike Katrina's countless victims, he has somewhere to go.

He's got a place to call home. Three of them, in fact.

50 cent
09-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I wish the Spurs would bring him back for the vet min.

FromWayDowntown
09-27-2005, 11:38 AM
I wish the Spurs would bring him back for the vet min.

Better to have Big Dog wallowing on the reserve list than spending that spot and money to bring in a younger player who can be counted on to give a great effort in practice everyday (without the nagging nicks and dings that a vet like Big Dog has)?

In a perfect world, Big Dog makes sense, but there are realities to how you construct a team and I would think that it's more important to Pop to find some youth and see, through that, if you can unearth another player.

Walton Buys Off Me
09-27-2005, 11:42 AM
I think the Spurs are thinking more in terms of a younger, more athletic player to fill out the roster. Robinson might not like riding pine all year, why not give that spot to a kid?

50 cent
09-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm sure the Spurs will give it somebody younger. I just think he could be a big help off the bench at some point in the season and it's just the vet min.

DesiSpur_21
09-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Yep. The Spurs need a younger one to fill the roster.

There are too many vets loaded at swing position :lol :lol :lol

Kip Fanatic
09-27-2005, 12:09 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the Spurs bringing him back for the min. He is a very solid player and would be great to bring off the bench. He seems like he has changed a lot since coming to San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2005, 01:23 PM
It's kind of sad if he retires at 32 - he was nothing but a professional last season. But I think the Spurs should add a couple of young bench players. The average age of their reserves is pretty high right now.

whottt
09-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Big Dogg>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Finley

GoSpurs21
09-27-2005, 02:07 PM
If god forbid someone gets hurt and big Dog is not playing anywhere else (and he keeps himself in some semblence of shape like last year) maybe the Spurs would pick him up

romsey31
09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
You guys have 2 players (finley & big dog) at your mercy who a few years back were top ten scorers in the NBA, talk about BLESSINGS .....

antonis50
09-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Spurs definitely need some young blood, the bench is graying.

Dre_7
09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Big Dogg>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Finley

:wtf

Damn homie!! You be smokin somthin!!! :smokin

50 cent
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Calhoun was awesome the other day. He helped win me a lot of money in that ML win over Michigan. :tu

ChumpDumper
09-27-2005, 05:44 PM
But when I really, really pound it, that's when I have a little trouble with itHmm, we probably need a guy to "pound it" in practice. Maybe he could prolong his career in Europe or something.

Vashner
09-27-2005, 05:56 PM
If you win a championship you don't go to europe.......

Hey if you have enough money just live and enjoy it... manage your cream well.. don't blow it on stupid stuff and he won't have to work again with good investments.

ChumpDumper
09-27-2005, 06:25 PM
If you win a championship you don't go to europe.......Bateer went to Huntsville.

If you still want to play significant minutes but only a couple times a week you do go to Europe.

He'd be fine for spot minutes here, but could he even practice that much?