PDA

View Full Version : Was Kerr stealing signals?

UZER
03-20-2016, 05:51 PM
On the play that Danny hit the 3 in the corner on the inbounds late in the fourth, it looks like Kerr looks down the sideline to watch pop signal the inbounds, then he immediately starts yelling to his guys to play the far corner but they didn't see him.

TrainOfThought5
03-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Meh... wouldnt be too surprised. But basketball happens so fast tht i dont think this will ever matter.

Solid D
03-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Yes, but that happens in lots of games. Plus, once coaches see the 3-stack of players, they pretty-well know the guy in the middle is going to flare out.

UZER
03-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Recognizing sets is one thing. A player on the court hearing the play call is one thing.

A coach watching the other coach signal the play in seems a little cheap. Not the end of the world, just pointing it out.

ElNono
03-20-2016, 06:13 PM
It's possible, but it's a competitive sport, tbh... Kerr doesn't have anywhere near the job security Pop has, and as such, he'll use any advantage available to him.

Solid D
03-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Whether they watch the coach or they watch the player signaling to his teammates while entering the offense, it's pretty much the same. It happens every game. The knowledge may help a couple of times a game, but there is a lot of recognition by the players too...not just the coaches. Same thing in football. Recognition of plays. Adjustments sometimes work. Sometimes not.

daslicer
03-20-2016, 06:39 PM
It's possible, but it's a competitive sport, tbh... Kerr doesn't have anywhere near the job security Pop has, and as such, he'll use any advantage available to him.

Your right Pop has his job for life but Kerr's job security is pretty strong. It would take some major screw ups for Kerr to get fired. It's rare in the nba a coach gets fired after winning a title. I have never seen it happen in my life time. The last time something like that happened in the NBA was when the Lakers fired head coach Paul Westhead during the '81-'82 season which was nearly 2 years after Westhead had a won a title.

phxspurfan
03-20-2016, 06:44 PM
It was obvious TBH. I even noticed Danny double check that he has in the middle. He almost f'd it up too by tripping while backpedaling out of it.

dweaver99027
03-20-2016, 07:07 PM
This is not baseball. This has been happening forever in basketball and is at worst frowned upon. I remember Battier used to know almost every play and every corresponding signal of his team's playoff opponent when he was active. Not an issue.

ElNono
03-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Your right Pop has his job for life but Kerr's job security is pretty strong.

I agree, but 3-4 years in the NBA flies fast, and if you don't keep winning, there's always going to be comments on how it was all Curry and second-guessing the coach is the first thing that happens, tbh...

I like Kerr as a coach though, I think he's very knowledgeable and capable, and I wouldn't mind him being the Spurs coach one day.