PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson -1995 WCSF

Thomas82
03-23-2016, 06:26 AM
To take my mind off of that Hornets loss the other day, I was having a discussion with a friend about David Robinson, and his playoff defense in particular. My friend mentioned that The Admiral held the Lakers to 30% shooting in the painted area. I tried to research this, but couldn't find anything. I'm well aware of the defensive monster The Admiral was, but how is that even possible in a playoff game?

FromWayDowntown
03-23-2016, 09:50 AM
If it was a specific game, it was probably Game 4 of that series. The Spurs held the Lakers to a little over 70 points and kept their shooting percentage in mid 30's. I'm reluctant to believe that any NBA playoff team would actually shoot 30% in the painted area over the course of an entire game, but David was a monster that night with a 20-20 and several blocks.

look_at_g_shred
03-23-2016, 09:55 AM
GOAT

lefty
03-23-2016, 12:12 PM
lol Olajuwoned

Thomas82
03-23-2016, 12:20 PM
If it was a specific game, it was probably Game 4 of that series. The Spurs held the Lakers to a little over 70 points and kept their shooting percentage in mid 30's. I'm reluctant to believe that any NBA playoff team would actually shoot 30% in the painted area over the course of an entire game, but David was a monster that night with a 20-20 and several blocks.

This sounds more like it, thanks for the info.

Budkin
03-23-2016, 12:46 PM
lol Olajuwoned

Olajuwon would've torn up anyone that year. He was on another level.

Thomas82
03-23-2016, 01:42 PM

True

Obstructed_View
03-23-2016, 03:32 PM

Must be nice to be allowed to freelance with Sam Cassel, Robert Horry, Mario Elie and Clyde Drexler helping you out. And let's face it: Kenny Smith was far better than the Spurs' guards. He was better than anything the Spurs had in the backcourt from the time Alvin Robertson left to the time Tony Parker was drafted.

Thomas82
03-23-2016, 03:50 PM

I saw that the Lakers only made 27 field goals the whole game, which was (is?) an all-time playoff low. That's nothing to sneeze at either.

Budkin
03-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Must be nice to be allowed to freelance with Sam Cassel, Robert Horry, Mario Elie and Clyde Drexler helping you out. And let's face it: Kenny Smith was far better than the Spurs' guards. He was better than anything the Spurs had in the backcourt from the time Alvin Robertson left to the time Tony Parker was drafted.

But the Spurs had Dennis Rodman! :lol

gospursgojas
03-23-2016, 07:32 PM

Avery Johnson
Negle Knight
Cory Alexander
Antonio Daniels

Laughable PGs for 5-0. What a waste.

Thomas82
03-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Avery Johnson
Negle Knight
Cory Alexander
Antonio Daniels

Shout out to Red McCombs for wasting The Admiral's prime!!

Obstructed_View
03-24-2016, 12:13 AM
But the Spurs had Dennis Rodman! :lol

Speaking of freelancing.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Avery Johnson
Negle Knight
Cory Alexander
Antonio Daniels

Vinny Del Negro
Lloyd Daniels
Chris Whitney
The corpse of Sleepy Floyd

Kawhitstorm
03-24-2016, 01:43 AM
Dikemebe absolutely owned the paint when the Nuggets upset the Sonics. There has never been a player that intimated Kemp quite like Mt. Mutombo.

h8-R3bBmhqU

Thomas82
03-24-2016, 07:08 AM
Dikemebe absolutely owned the paint when the Nuggets upset the Sonics. There has never been a player that intimated Kemp quite like Mt. Mutombo.

h8-R3bBmhqU

I remember this very well........a complete and utter shocker!!

baseline bum
03-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Shout out to Red McCombs for wasting The Admiral's prime!!

What a disgrace, that faggot had more money than god and he cheaped out bigtime on the roster while guys like Holt and Drossos worth far less always paid for good talent.

ambchang
03-24-2016, 11:06 AM

h8-R3bBmhqU

That one was on Karl. With a frontline of Perkins, Schrempt and Kemp, there was no reason to keep piling it in the paint. They could have pulled Mutombo out to about 18 feet and allowed Gill and Payton to cut.

lefty
03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
That one was on Karl. With a frontline of Perkins, Schrempt and Kemp, there was no reason to keep piling it in the paint. They could have pulled Mutombo out to about 18 feet and allowed Gill and Payton to cut.
yup

Thomas82
03-24-2016, 12:43 PM
What a disgrace, that faggot had more money than god and he cheaped out bigtime on the roster while guys like Holt and Drossos worth far less always paid for good talent.

I still remember him considering a cost-cutting David Robinson/Patrick Ewing trade because he got tired of paying The Admiral. No way Ewing would have re-signed with the Spurs when his contract ended.

Kawhitstorm
03-24-2016, 04:37 PM

You mean deviate from the offense that won them 64 games?:rolleyes (Their main offense was the Kemp/GP PnR)

ambchang
03-24-2016, 07:51 PM
You mean deviate from the offense that won them 64 games?:rolleyes (Their main offense was the Kemp/GP PnR)

Yeah, and they got kicked out of in the 1st round by the 8th seed by keeping that offense.

You are even a level Karl on this one, because you can't even think of trying a new offense even with the benefit of hindsight.