PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Liberals...

tlongII
03-23-2016, 12:56 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2016/03/study_regular_long-term_mariju.html#incart_2box

Study: Regular marijuana use linked to problems in midlife

A study that followed children from birth to midlife found that heavy marijuana users who smoked for years often fared worse as adults than their parents: Many ended up in jobs that paid less, required fewer skills and were less prestigious.

That wasn't so much the case for other people.

"The rest of the people in the study who were not regular and persistent cannabis users ended up in a higher social class than their parents," said Magdalena Cerda, lead investigator and associate professor at the University of California, Davis.

The study, published Wednesday in the journal Clinical Psychological Science, also found that marijuana users who smoked at least four times a week experienced more financial difficulties, such as problems with debt and food insecurity, than their parents. Their lives were fraught with more social problems, too.

"They experienced more antisocial behavior at work such as lying to get a job or stealing money and more relationship problems such as intimate partner violence or controlling behavior towards their partner," Cerda said.

Other studies have associated heavy and persistent marijuana use with problems in adulthood but haven't always ruled out other factors. This research tried to do that by tracking and comparing variables such as intelligence, family structure, gender, ethnicity, parental substance abuse, criminal convictions and antisocial behavior and depression in childhood.

In accounting for so many variables, researchers made the study's conclusions stronger, Cerda said, acknowledging that there may be unknown factors that they didn't track.

Dr. Colin Roberts, a pediatric neurologist at Oregon Health & Science University and a member of Oregon's Cannabis Research Task Force created to study medical marijuana, said the findings are worth considering.

"It's a good study," Roberts said. "They established an association that's pretty compelling."

The study's sample size, almost 950 people, also gives it heft, he said.

The study is based on four decades of data collected in New Zealand, where marijuana is illegal. Investigators have been following people born between 1972 and 1973 in Dunedin, the second largest city on the South Island. The participants in the study come from a range of socio-economic classes, from professionals to unskilled laborers, who had physical, psychological, social and financial assessments at birth and ages 3, 5, 9, 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 26, 32 and 38.

"There was a large number of people that were looked at which is really important," Roberts said. "We can't do studies like this in the U.S. because it's really hard to collect information on people over that period of time. We don't have a central source for people's medical records."

The study analyzed the data from the childhood evaluations to determine pre-existing conditions that might cause financial or social problems later in life. Then it evaluated the marijuana use of people starting at age 18 through 38 and financial and social problems at age 38. It found that 15 percent were frequent users, which they defined as smoking marijuana four or more times a week.

The longer those people smoked, the worse their problems in midlife.

That's consistent with what professionals like Dr. Kevin Hill see in their practices. He's the author of "Marijuana: The Unbiased Truth about the World's Most Popular Weed" and an addiction psychiatrist at McLean Hospital, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School in Massachusetts.

"This paper supports what we see clinically," Hill said. "If you're using at a level that's consistent with cannabis addiction, you will have problems in multiple spheres – work, school and relationships."

Not everyone who smoked marijuana four times or more a week for years experienced downward mobility and not everyone who abstained fared better than their parents. But a higher proportion of the former group – nearly 52 percent – had a worse outcome compared with 14 percent of the latter.

The study also looked at alcohol use. Those with an alcohol dependency experienced more social problems than their parents and landed lower-paying jobs. But the marijuana users who were dependent on the drug had even more financial worries than those addicted to alcohol.

"Those of us in the field know that cannabis is potentially dangerous but the same argument should be made with alcohol," Hill said. "We have 22 million Americans who used cannabis last year and yet we rarely talk about cannabis being dangerous and we should."

Yet he cautioned that people who are dependent on marijuana remain in the minority, just as those who abuse alcohol are.

Alcohol remains the bigger problem because it's more widespread, Cerda said, but she added that the increasing acceptance of marijuana could increase the cost to society. Oregon is one of 23 states where marijuana is legal for medical use and four states that have approved recreational marijuana use.

The study points to a need for investment in prevention and treatment, she said.

"If we do that, it may have long-term consequences for the potential burden that this may place on communities, families and on the broader social welfare system," Cerda said.

Spurminator
03-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Chicken/Egg fallacy.

boutons_deux
03-23-2016, 01:22 PM
rednecks, shit kickers, Bible humpers, rightwingnuts don't smoke dope?

this is HEAVY use in early teen years.

heavy alcohol use in early teen years is probably much more harmful.

clambake
03-23-2016, 01:38 PM
non-issue

03-23-2016, 01:54 PM
non-issue

ChumpDumper
03-23-2016, 02:07 PM
lol still clinging to det war on drugs

spurraider21
03-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Disrupting Demographics: Nixon’s War on Drugs
(http://deirdre.net/disrupting-demographics-nixons-war-on-drugs/)
May 16, 2015 By Deirdre (http://deirdre.net/author/erdried/)

John Ehrlichman, Counsel and Assistant to President Nixon:
The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar Left, and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black. But by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.

tlongII
03-23-2016, 02:34 PM
lol still clinging to det war on drugs

Not at all. I just thought it was funny.

TheSanityAnnex
03-23-2016, 04:57 PM
:cry Trump2016 chalk writing :cry
:cry triggered :cry
:cry micro aggressions :cry
:cry remove immediately :cry

As anyone who has spent five seconds at a college can attest, sidewalks covered in chalk messages are a pretty common fixture of the campus scene. But Emory University students had their delicate worldview shaken by the sudden appearance of one specific chalk message, "Trump 2016," all over campus. The students were so traumatized that they stormed the offices of Emory President James Wagner, demanding answers and feelings-protection. Wagner sent an email to campus in a desperate and wildly unnecessary effort to make everyone feel safe again. Here is the whole thing, (http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/03/22/chalk-one-up-to-donald-trump-at-emory-university/) with commentary:

Dear Emory Community,

Yesterday I received a visit from 40 to 50 student protesters upset by the unexpected chalkings on campus sidewalks and some buildings yesterday morning, in this case referencing Donald Trump. The students shared with me their concern that these messages were meant to intimidate rather than merely to advocate for a particular candidate, having appeared outside of the context of a Georgia election or campus campaign activity. During our conversation, they voiced their genuine concern and pain in the face of this perceived intimidation.

The election in Georgia may be over, but it is very much the case that there is still an ongoing national conversation about who the Republican Party nominee will be, and, ultimately, who will win the White House. Trump is one such contender. It's not remotely clear—nor even plausible—that the message "Trump 2016" was non-political in tone (and it shouldn't matter). Students who voiced "genuine concern and pain in the face of this "perceived intimidation" should have been told their perception is at odds with reality, does not supersede other people's free expression rights, and should be recalibrated if "Trump 2016" causes them actual pain. Sadly, this is not what the president told them.

After meeting with our students, I cannot dismiss their expression of feelings and concern as motivated only by political preference or over-sensitivity. Instead, the students with whom I spoke heard a message, not about political process or candidate choice, but instead about values regarding diversity and respect that clash with Emory’s own.
It should be perfectly acceptable to challenge "values regarding diversity," even if these values are deeply held by both students and the institution itself.

As an academic community, we must value and encourage the expression of ideas, vigorous debate, speech, dissent, and protest. At the same time, our commitment to respect, civility, and inclusion calls us to provide a safe environment that inspires and supports courageous inquiry. It is important that we recognize, listen to, and honor the concerns of these students, as well as faculty and staff who may feel similarly.
If the institution rushes to the emotional defense of thin-skinned students, can it really be said to support "courageous inquiry"?

On the heels of work begun by students last fall and advanced last month through the Racial Justice Retreat and subsequent working groups, Emory is taking a number of significant steps:

• Immediate refinements to certain policy and procedural deficiencies (for example, our bias incident reporting and response process);
• Regular and structured opportunities for difficult dialogues (like the Transforming Community Project of several years ago);
• A formal process to institutionalize identification, review, and addressing of social justice opportunities and issues; and
• Commitment to an annual retreat to renew our efforts.
Reminding students that they can sic the campus grievance bureaucracy on people who offend them further weakens Emory's stated commitment to free speech.

To keep moving forward, we must continue to engage in rich and meaningful dialogue around critical issues facing our nation and our society. I learn from every conversation like the one that took place yesterday and know that further conversations are necessary. More than that, such discussions should lead to action that continues to foster a more just and inclusive Emory.

Sincerely,
Jim Wagner
To recap: Some Emory students are so fragile, and terrified of innocuous political speech they dislike, that they immediately sought comfort from campus authority figures. These figures, of course, were more than willing to coddle them.
It's enough to make you want to grab a piece of chalk and scrawl "Trump 2016" on an Emory sidewalk, huh? No wonder so many non-liberal students are cheering for Trump (http://reason.com/blog/2016/02/23/how-political-correctness-caused-college)—not because they like him, but because he represents glorious resistance to the noxious political correctness and censorship that has come to define the modern college experience.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/22/at-emory-university-writing-trump-2016-o

InRareForm
03-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Snoop Dogg is very intelligent. He even supports trump. Weed couldn't effect him, then it wouldn't effect anyone else.

TheSanityAnnex
03-23-2016, 08:54 PM
An associate professor at the University of North Dakota called the police on two ROTC students carrying replica rifles (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/index.htm) on campus, saying the group’s practice drills are “highly inappropriate” and “irresponsible” in light of recent school shootings. In a letter Sunday to the Grand Forks Herald, Heidi Czerwiec described the panic she felt when she looked up from her office computer to see “two figures in camo with guns” outside her window.

“My first thought is for my students’ and my safety: I grab my phone, crawl under my desk and call 911,” she wrote. The threat, however, was two ROTC students carrying guns on their way to a routine training exercise, Campus Reform reported. “I can barely talk — first, with fear, and then with rage when the dispatcher reports back that yes, in fact, I’ve probably just seen ROTC cadets, though they’re going to send an officer to check because no one has cleared it with them,” Ms. Czerwiec wrote. She said a university officer called her back a few minutes later to inform her that ROTC would be doing the exercises for the next couple of weeks. “So I reply that I guess I’ll be calling 911 for the next couple weeks—and I will. Every time,” Ms. Czerwiec wrote. “It’s not my job to decide whether people carrying guns at school are an actual threat. It’s my job to teach and to get home to my family.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/23/university-of-north-dakota-professor-vows-to-call-/