PDA

View Full Version : Should Big Ben get the max?

romsey31
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Big Bad Ben Wallace should be a free agent next yr. Do you think he's a max player or just a good player. I honestly think Ben Wallace should get the max times 2. He WORKS his ass off and does everything he needs to do and doesnt complain. He doesnt complain 2 the ref about every call and knows his limitations, I think he's the most ir replaceable player on the Pistons team.

batman2883
09-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Fuck no Ben Wallace isnt that great to get the Max

Kori Ellis
09-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I think the Pistons should do what they need to do to keep him. But max player is pushing it. He's over 30. His offensive game is limited.

Hopefully they'll be able to retain him and reward him -- but not over pay.

Spurminator
09-27-2005, 04:21 PM
If giving him the max is what it takes for the Pistons to keep him, then do it. But there are very few teams that he would be worth the max to.

Marklar MM
09-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Hell. If Adonal Freakin Foyle will make 34 million over the next four years, I wonder what Ben will get. :). Ben is much freakin better. But ya. I don't think he will get a max deal, nor do I think he will ask for one. He wants to win. He kept his lower paying contract when he was given the chance to opt out for a bigger deal to help keep the team together. I'd say he will probably get about 7.5-8, possibly 9 mil a year.

samikeyp
09-27-2005, 04:59 PM
:fro forum. :p

romsey31
09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
:fro forum. :p

Lol whatever :angel I know this is a Spurs forum and I'm a Pacer fan and I should have no interest in the Pistons but I kinda like the guy and how he plays.....( dont tell anyone )

bdubya
09-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't think the Pistons have any individual players who should get the max. Ben is the cornerstone and the foundation and the face and all, but just because some (okay, MANY) franchises are stupid enough to throw max $ at players who don't deserve it doesn't mean the Pistons will, or should.

samikeyp
09-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Lol whatever I know this is a Spurs forum and I'm a Pacer fan and I should have no interest in the Pistons but I kinda like the guy and how he plays.....( dont tell anyone )

it was a joke...hence the smiley.

Kobayagi
09-27-2005, 05:33 PM
I can't imagine the Pistons without Ben. I think he deserves max. Whether he'll demand it or not is another question.

theballaplaya
09-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Oh hell yeah, my ass gettin da max!

Pistons < Spurs
09-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Should Big Ben get the max

..........NO.

Yes Ben plays hard and earns his money, but IMO he is no where near a max player. I believe it will be a huge mistake to give him a huge payday due to loyalty and gratitude. This realisticly could be his last contract as he is getting older, and his skills will only diminish. In the NBA you pay a player based on what he WILL bring to the team, not what he USED TO do.
Don't get me wrong, I lvoe Ben and his hustle/work ethic/leadership. Part of me wants to see him get a big huge score, but from a franchise standpoint, it would not be a good idea. (And let us remember that the franchise is more important than one player)Garnett,Kobe,T-Mac,Iverson,Duncan are MAX players...and Ben for all his hustle,heart and greatness is not on par with those other guys.
Plus if you consider that Tay is about to get his new deal also, we could start being a team w/ too many large contracts. Ben and Sheed are going to get major $$ in their last 4 or 5 years. I guarantee those will be considered bad deals in 2 or 3 years, and hinder us from doing any deals in free agency/trades.

I love ya Ben, but no big payday for you! He deserves decent $money$, but nothing outrageous.

ambchang
09-27-2005, 07:00 PM
My first reaction was "Of course he does, what kind of question is that?" But then on second thought, perhaps not.
Allow me to explain. I immediately thought of his heart and hustle, him being the anchor of one of the best defensive teams in the league for the past several years, his rebounding, him being underpaid for a few years, and the hard work he puts in. I also think of Michael Redd and his max (or was it near max), Boozer and his outrageous contract, Adonlye Foyle, Antoine Walker, and a who bunch of them. But then, should the market be set by the stupidest buyer? Sure, Ben is worth more than those guys put together, but just because some GM did something stupid means that everybody else should follow suit. Besides, Ben is a role player. He is a GREAT role player, arguably the best role player since Bobby Jones, but he is STILL a role player, and role player don't/shouldn't make the max.
You may argue that he was the major reason the Pistons won the championship in 2004! But was he? Or was he a beneficiary of the system? He bounced around a few teams, before he flourished under Carlisle. It's the system that plays to his strengths, he did not make the Pistons, the Pistons made him.
Besides, Larry Brown, Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Sheed, and even Prince was just as instrumental, do they all get max too? Hell Robert Horry was a major reason this year, but he isn't going to make the max.

ambchang
09-27-2005, 07:00 PM
BTW, I just ignored the no whining to the refs part, because he does.

Pistons < Spurs
09-27-2005, 07:05 PM
BTW, I just ignored the no whining to the refs part, because he does.

LMAO I was wondering if someone was going to call out the origional poster on that!!!

Gummi
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I know alot of you guys will disagree with me on this, but there are only 10 guys in the league that are worth MAX money. Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Shaq, Iverson, T-Mac, Wade, LeBron, Amare, and Nowitzki. Guys like Yao, Zach Randolph, Paul Pierce, Ben Wallace, Steve Francis, and so on aren't worth that.

Guys that receive the MAX should be able to lead their franchise deep into the playoffs and be that teams leader in every aspect. Sure Wallace is the rock on that Piston team, but he's not their most important player, IMO is Billups. Even though guys like T-Mac and Garnett will probably never win the title like Ben did, they lead their respective teams in every aspect. If they don't play, their team won't win.

JsnSA
09-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Someone will get desperate and give him the max.

If the Pistons cant work out a good deal for both of them before he becomes a FA...they should trade him to someone that will...and that would be willing to give up something decent.

exstatic
09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
To answer the thread question: No. BB is not a MAX player.

I know alot of you guys will disagree with me on this, but there are only 10 guys in the league that are worth MAX money. Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Shaq, Iverson, T-Mac, Wade, LeBron, Amare, and Nowitzki. Guys like Yao, Zach Randolph, Paul Pierce, Ben Wallace, Steve Francis, and so on aren't worth that.

Guys that receive the MAX should be able to lead their franchise deep into the playoffs and be that teams leader in every aspect. Sure Wallace is the rock on that Piston team, but he's not their most important player, IMO is Billups. Even though guys like T-Mac and Garnett will probably never win the title like Ben did, they lead their respective teams in every aspect. If they don't play, their team won't win.

The disconnect between a few guys on the list and your criteria is striking. Garnett has led his team to the WCFs once, but also missed out on the playoffs altogether last year. His average is first round and out. Kobe missed the playoffs last year, his first flying solo. TMac has never made it out of the first round. LeBron hasn't made the playoffs in two seasons. The jury is still out on Amare. Yeah, they made the WCFs, he and TWO other All Stars, but he and one of those same two All Stars missed the playoffs completely the year before.

jochhejaam
09-28-2005, 06:04 AM
What is the max? I would assume his agent will start off the negotiations by asking for the it all.
He's not enough of an offensive threat to warrant the max, that being said, Joe will do whatever it takes to resign Ben and I believe it may be 80 percent of the max.

ginobme
09-28-2005, 06:23 AM
Nope not the max, but 70-80% of it sounds about right

romsey31
09-28-2005, 07:23 AM
it was a joke...hence the smiley.

Yea I know thats why I put the LOL at the begining

Taco
09-28-2005, 07:25 AM
I'd give his fro the max!!!

DesiSpur_21
09-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Nope not the max, but 70-80% of it sounds about right

Eventhough I call 80% is a stretch, he'd get such offers anyway - so Detroit would end up shelling out that much.

If I were to sign him, 75% of max if 3 yr deal, 60-65% if 5 yr deal..

Trainwreck2100
09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
It depends on when they can resign him, another team might get desprate enough and just throw money at him.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
If Joe Johnson's age and ability merits a max contract, then ben wallace easily does.

romsey31
09-28-2005, 09:33 AM
ATL is gonna throw the max at him, so you know Detroit is gonna have to counter it :lol

samikeyp
09-28-2005, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't counter it...for just the reasons Pistons<Spurs said. I am a huge fan of Big Ben and love the way he plays. If the Pistons had won the finals, IMO, he is the MVP but I really don't see Dumars matching a max offer.

Marklar MM
09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
The Pistons lose Ben, and they are not contenders anymore...plain and simple.

samikeyp
09-28-2005, 02:24 PM
so then Marklar, do you give him the max?

MiNuS
09-28-2005, 02:29 PM
max it baby! He is worth it. I don't think the Spurs faced a scarrier cat than Big Ben until the playoffs.

Marklar MM
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
so then Marklar, do you give him the max?

No, you don't give him the max. Just not to little. They will most likely have the whole contract issue settled first 1/4th of season.

Oh, and apparantly, Sheed has lost 20 pounds. :) Now he will actually be able to defend like he is capable of. None of that foul from behind shit.

batman2883
09-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Ben Wallace deserves a pat on the back a salary just above the mid level exception of any team

Marklar MM
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Ben Wallace deserves a pat on the back a salary just above the mid level exception of any team

He is already making that. :)

batman2883
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Well thats where he should stay he isnt a damn superstar, he's a role player on a team of role players.....

ShoogarBear
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Ben Wallace is the reason the Pistons came back from 2-0, and like others have said, should have been MVP if the Pistons had won it.

Basically, Detroit won't get anywhere without him. There's no statistic you can put on his worth. Maybe he doesn't get the max, but he damn sure needs to be making a lot more than Rasho.

Trainwreck2100
09-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Ben Wallace is the reason the Pistons came back from 2-0, and like others have said, should have been MVP if the Pistons had won it.

Basically, Detroit won't get anywhere without him. There's no statistic you can put on his worth. Maybe he doesn't get the max, but he damn sure needs to be making a lot more than Rasho.

Antoine Carr should have made more than Rasho.

batman2883
09-28-2005, 03:47 PM

Hell, if you want to go that far, then so does Theo Ratliff cause even he's better than Rasho.

ShoogarBear
09-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes, but at present:

Rasho's salary: $7.2 M (05-06)
Ben's salary: $6.5 M (05-06)

romsey31
09-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Hell, if you want to go that far, then so does Theo Ratliff cause even he's better than Rasho.

Doesnt Theo make double figures?

clubalien
09-28-2005, 07:42 PM
i think Big Ben deserves the MAX
rashweed wallace DOESN'T!!!!