PDA

View Full Version : K.Anderson calling Kawhi the MvP on twitter

SAGirl
03-24-2016, 07:12 PM
https://twitter.com/KyleAnderson5/status/712861383008854016 (http://hoopshype.com/2016/03/24/kawhi-leonard-is-the-mvp-according-to-teammate-kyle-anderson/)
http://hoopshype.com/2016/03/24/kawhi-leonard-is-the-mvp-according-to-teammate-kyle-anderson/

twitter post function not working for me...

Spurtacular
03-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Spurs will need to take the one seed for Whi to win MVP.

Spurtacular
03-24-2016, 07:15 PM
I can see this being Curry's last MVP. He's been exposed as a chucker.

RD2191
03-24-2016, 08:12 PM
Hopefully Kawhi takes Curry winning MVP personal and destroys him in the WCF.

SupremeGuy
03-24-2016, 08:29 PM
:claw

AZK619
03-24-2016, 08:37 PM
He should get some votes. This team goes as far as he does, tbh. :claw

Kool Bob Love
03-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Weak.

bic50
03-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Meow

Kawhitstorm
03-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Did he not get the memo that he has to fill in for Kawhi & face Durant?:lol

100%duncan
03-24-2016, 10:43 PM
:claw

apalisoc_9
03-24-2016, 11:14 PM
Always has been a high IQ player.

Mnky
03-25-2016, 09:57 AM
To be fair... he said Kawhi is "looking" like the MVP. ..

Kikoluna
03-25-2016, 10:05 AM
It's annoying when I read or hear "we all know he's going to win it" that I'd saying Leonard is not even close, absurd

SAGirl
03-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Curry is on another level but so is Kawhi, and he does it on both ends. Seems like he can practically bust games wide open on how his own nowadays. It's amazing how much better and how far he's come.
It's practically a given Curry will win it, but there are for sure games that Kawhi looks like the MVP.

Chinook
03-25-2016, 12:07 PM
At their best, I'll take Kawhi. But Kawhi's game-to-game defense is getting overrated. When he's matched up against a great SF, he can and will shut them down. But he doesn't have the same level of focus on lesser players. He also cheats off them. It's not as bad as it is with Green where Danny can erase the reigning MVP one can and let a scrub drop 20 on him the next game, but it's there.

Like Kawhi was pretty much just a cog in the defensive machine last weekend, but the tweets and articles made it seem like he led the team's defensive effort. Same thing with Durant in the last OKC game. Early in the season, Kawhi's defense was insane. That's really not the case anymore. He's probably just saving energy for offense and for the playoffs, and that's completely understandable. But people need to call it what it is. Last year at this time, he was a much better defender.

UZER
03-25-2016, 12:16 PM
At the very least, Kawhi should get DPOY again. He ain't winning MVP but it keeps them in tie so to speak.

KDKSpurs24
03-25-2016, 01:13 PM
At their best, I'll take Kawhi. But Kawhi's game-to-game defense is getting overrated. When he's matched up against a great SF, he can and will shut them down. But he doesn't have the same level of focus on lesser players. He also cheats off them. It's not as bad as it is with Green where Danny can erase the reigning MVP one can and let a scrub drop 20 on him the next game, but it's there.

Like Kawhi was pretty much just a cog in the defensive machine last weekend, but the tweets and articles made it seem like he led the team's defensive effort. Same thing with Durant in the last OKC game. Early in the season, Kawhi's defense was insane. That's really not the case anymore. He's probably just saving energy for offense and for the playoffs, and that's completely understandable. But people need to call it what it is. Last year at this time, he was a much better defender.
He wasn't even the primary Durant defender in the OKC game. He mainly guarded Durant when Westbrook wasn't in the game(Because that's how OKC's rotations are now). He was making Westbrook look like he couldn't play basketball at times.

gambit1990
03-25-2016, 02:02 PM
i'd rather him win the FMVP this year.

Chinook
03-25-2016, 02:11 PM
He wasn't even the primary Durant defender in the OKC game.

That's the whole point of what I was saying.

KDKSpurs24
03-25-2016, 02:28 PM
That's the whole point of what I was saying.
I get you. He still made Durant work really hard to score. But he was dominant defensively in that game either way by forcing turnovers from Westbrook and disrupting their offense. You said last year at this time he was a much better defender but he's still human so the trade off of doing more on offense will affect his defense of course. But it's still amazing. 5 more ppg(even more now in recent months) really makes up his slight fall in defense.

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 02:39 PM
I get you. He still made Durant work really hard to score. But he was dominant defensively in that game either way by forcing turnovers from Westbrook and disrupting their offense. You said last year at this time he was a much better defender but he's still human so the trade off of doing more on offense will affect his defense of course. But it's still amazing. 5 more ppg(even more now in recent months) really makes up his slight fall in defense.

Agree, his D on Westbrook was a big factor that contributed to the Spurs win.

I watch this kind of thing when I hear that Kawhi's D is overrated...

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Or this...

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 02:46 PM
I find funny/crazy/stupid that people can't see his impressive help-defense and also how quickly he recovers to his man...Can't remember a perimeter player with his off-ball D.

Dro210
03-25-2016, 02:55 PM
I find funny/crazy/stupid that people can't see his impressive help-defense and also how quickly he recovers to his man...Can't remember a perimeter player with his off-ball D.

:tu his "cheating" is part of the gameplan.

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:12 PM

He played 40 minutes vs the Warriors. WTF are you smoking. :lmao

We get blwon out by 40 without him. :lmao

Watch basketball next time brah. :tu

SAGirl
03-25-2016, 03:12 PM

I agree he hasn't been as consistent as he was last season. Also like you say not as noticeable as Danny who can play like an NBA defensive 1st teamer one game, then completely get benched by Pop for Simmons on the other. Clearly it's not his lack of ability, but not being focused.

I think a lot of what these two do defensively requires insane focus, just being dialed in and even anticipate what is coming so you can snuff it out.

The same thing happened to KA early in the season, except bc of his lack of athleticism he can't afford a single moment of idleness in his awareness and Pop made a point to bench him at even the first sign of coasting.

I think players refer to that as the focus they must maintain for the full 48 minutes etc.

I also think to a degree Kawhi's offensive role is a distraction on defense bc him not getting fouls called, protesting non calls, failing sometimes to run back on defense and having to make a point when they are flat out hammering him, is a distraction from the focus he has to keep on the other end. It must be insanely tough to maintain that focus on both ends the entire game, which is why I am glad Danny is there as a partner to alleviate that burden for stretches (that is his bread and butter), and also why him spotting up for the 3 and letting LMA and Tim do their high lows and Tony run a PnR here or there is not a detriment to his game. But we know Kawhi can bring it on both ends when he must.

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Every time Green has a decent game with 28-30 minutes Chinook has to downplay Kawhi every fucking time. I swear. :lmao

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Green a fucking role player. Most inconsistent fuck on the team. You can never depend on that fuck. :lol

SAGirl
03-25-2016, 03:19 PM

That is by far the most impressive aspect... obviously the one on one stuff really stands out. The defense on Lebron in the 2014 finals was epic and for the ages IMO... but the off the ball and help defense is probably the most unique aspect, how he's able to shut down whole sides of the floor and recover to his man without fouling. The man is just absolutely spectacular... I haven't seen anything like it (for the record, I never watched Pippen, recent NBA fan here), but still, I haven't seen anything like him from anyone. By far better than Draymond Green. Yes, Draymond is incredibly versatile too, but Kawhi to me is on another level.

Chinook
03-25-2016, 03:20 PM
I get you. He still made Durant work really hard to score.

You don't get me then. He wasn't really on KD much at all that whole game. And he wasn't on Westbrook either. He was on Roberson. I said during the game that I really liked Pop doing that because it both kept Green focused and allowed Leonard to play help defense with no fear of being burned. I think Pop should stick with that going forward. Doesn't mean that he should get credit for things he didn't do.

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 03:22 PM

On a Pop's team, all defensive things are part of the game plan.

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Green ain't even a quarter of the defender Kawhi is. :lmao

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:24 PM

N"ah brah he just out there so he doesn't get burned" Chinook

:lmao

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:25 PM
You don't get me then. He wasn't really on KD much at all that whole game. And he wasn't on Westbrook either. He was on Roberson. I said during the game that I really liked Pop doing that because it both kept Green focused and allowed Leonard to play help defense with no fear of being burned. I think Pop should stick with that going forward. Doesn't mean that he should get credit for things he didn't do.

Even mothafucking Green says Kawhi is a God you fuckface. :lmao

Chinook
03-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Or this...

I mean, Kawhi left Curry wide the hell open on that play running to Thompson. It's great that broken-spirit Curry allowed Leonard to close out on him (it was a good, hard close too, like the ones ElNono hates), but he should never have had the chance. You can say that Kawhi was guarding Barnes at the beginning of that play, but he also left him wide the hell open to run at Thompson, who Parker was already closing out on. LMA is actually the hero of that play defensively, as he is pretty much providing perfect zone defense among Curry, Barnes and Green. Had he been in the wrong position, Klay throws that skip pass for an open look.

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:27 PM
People actually think we can defend without Kawhi or even Duncan on the floor are fucking IDIOTS. :lmao

This just shows how low IQ this fucks are. :lmao

SAGirl
03-25-2016, 03:27 PM
We are doing some things differently this season. I am not an expert on these things at all, what little I know is because I really enjoy watching defense, and will sometimes slow some sections to better appreciate what players are doing, etc. but I suppose some things were tweaked to allow him to preserve energy, and save it for when it really matters.

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Duncan on the bench for matchups. ...And Kawhi too?

Sorry but Green ain't doing any fucking defense without Kawhi on the floor. :lmao

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Green ain't even a quarter of the defender Kawhi is. :lmao

Danny's a great defender but Kawhi's by far the best. His one-on-one/off-ball D combo is unmatchable

SAGirl
03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
On a Pop's team, all defensive things are part of the game plan.
Have to agree with you, he will bench whoever is not executing, or at least call him out.

Obviously you will see players not execute what he wants at times, but allowing Kawhi to cheat is probably a license for him, same as him occasionally going for an offensive board. Its not something we do regularly, but he has license to go for them.

Patty and Manu gamble for steals too. I think some players have a high enough success rate that disruption is part of what they do. In Patty's case for example, he is deficient in several areas on individual defense so he must do other things to compensate. If its part of the strategy, his teammates must be aware of Patty to help cover up for a failed gamble.

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Danny's a great defender but Kawhi's by far the best. His one-on-one/off-ball D combo is unmatchable

Him on the floor changes the other teams offensive flow and they have to try different things. This causes lower percentage shots or turnovers. It ain't "voodoo" Chinook

:lmao

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:35 PM

Of course. I just can't stand player fans sometimes. :lol

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 03:35 PM
I mean, Kawhi left Curry wide the hell open on that play running to Thompson. It's great that broken-spirit Curry allowed Leonard to close out on him (it was a good, hard close too, like the ones ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) hates), but he should never have had the chance. You can say that Kawhi was guarding Barnes at the beginning of that play, but he also left him wide the hell open to run at Thompson, who Parker was already closing out on. LMA is actually the hero of that play defensively, as he is pretty much providing perfect zone defense among Curry, Barnes and Green. Had he been in the wrong position, Klay throws that skip pass for an open look.

Bothering every GSW players move but "let him wide open"... So funny. Funny in the stupid way.

Chinook
03-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Bothering every GSW players move but "let him wide open"... So funny. Funny in the stupid way.

It's not a good thing to freelance on that kind of play. The only reason why it didn't end up in an open Curry three is because LMA cut off the skip pass (the top-right picture in that tweet). There's no explanation as to why Kawhi decided to run to Thompson, but Parker was already covering up for Diaw's mistake (his man was Curry after the switch). This was pretty much the same as Russ' attempted steal at the end of Game Six of the 2014 WCF. The difference being that Duncan held onto the ball and scored.

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Have to agree with you, he will bench whoever is not executing, or at least call him out.

Obviously you will see players not execute what he wants at times, but allowing Kawhi to cheat is probably a license for him, same as him occasionally going for an offensive board. Its not something we do regularly, but he has license to go for them.

Patty and Manu gamble for steals too. I think some players have a high enough success rate that disruption is part of what they do. In Patty's case for example, he is deficient in several areas on individual defense so he must do other things to compensate. If its part of the strategy, his teammates must be aware of Patty to help cover up for a failed gamble.

Allow Kawhi to do it because he excels at those things. You can't trust those guys who say Pop doesn't care about the numbers, he knows where Kawhi, Patty, Manu can get success.

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 03:43 PM
It's not a good thing to freelance on that kind of play.
If Kawhi's the defender I want him to do it.

dabom
03-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Best defender on the planet doing best defensive plays in the world. Nothing to see here. :lmao

Chinook
03-25-2016, 03:46 PM
If Kawhi's the defender I want him to do it.

He left two people open to cover a guy who was already covered. He realized his mistake once LMA forced the pass to Draymond. If you have it, go back and watch that clip and tell me Kawhi did the right thing.

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 03:51 PM
He left two people open to cover a guy who was already covered. He realized his mistake once LMA forced the pass to Draymond. If you have it, go back and watch that clip and tell me Kawhi did the right thing.

I've said before one of the best things about Kawhi's D is how quickly he recovers to his man, that's why I want him to play this way, he can bother three opposite players in the same play and still challenge his man's shot.

Chinook
03-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I've said before one of the best things about Kawhi's D is how quickly he recovers to his man, that's why I want him to play this way, he can bother three opposite players in the same play and still challenge his man's shot.

He left his man open and NEVER went back to him. The only reason why he got to Curry is because LMA's effort. The play started off with Kawhi on Barnes, Green on Steph, Parker on Thompson, Diaw on Livingston and LMA on Draymond. Livingston set a screen for Steph, which meant that Diaw had Curry and Danny had Shaun. Parker contests the Thompson three very well. Shot goes up, clanks and bounces to Livingston. Diaw forgets he's guarding Curry and closes out to Livingston. Parker does too, as does Green (who was the only one who was supposed to do so). That left three guys who closed out on a 17-percent shooter who passed to Klay. Kawhi decided to leave Barnes open to run at Klay, but Parker had already peeled off Livingston and was closing.

The whole time, Curry had leaked to the opposite corner, running right past Leonard on the way. No Spur except Aldridge noticed. LaMarcus sees Steph but also knows his man is beyond the arc and is one pass away. So he does something that is being completely overlooked by everyone else in this thread. He squares he shoulders with Thompson and mirrors Klay's, keeping himself between the ball and Curry. Around this time, Kawhi realizes that there are four Spurs on near side of the court (the side he wasn't supposed to be on) and looks for Curry. Thompson gives up on the skip pass and gives it to Draymond instead. Leonard finds Curry (who's worked his way up to the wing by this point) and starts closing out. Draymond passes to Curry. About this time, Green finally finds out who was left open and sinks to cover Kawhi's man (Barnes). Kawhi closes out exactly as he is supposed to, selling out why not being in any danger to foul. Curry responds both the way he is supposed to and the way that works the best for him by resetting after letting Kawhi fly by him. About this time, Green is doing the secondary close-out. Curry's shot goes up and clanks.

I understand why Kawhi leaked out. He wanted to prevent the Thompson three. And it was good awareness to find Curry. Diaw totally pulled a 6 and completely left his man for a rebound. Danny could have immediately run to Curry once he saw Diaw in front of him. Literally, the only person who did his job perfectly was Aldridge. It wasn't an example of how Kawhi can cover up for other people. It was an example of how people freelance rotating (first Diaw then Kawhi) completely messes up the other rotations.

YGWHI
03-25-2016, 05:02 PM
...It wasn't an example of how Kawhi can cover up for other people. It was an example of how people freelance rotating (first Diaw then Kawhi) completely messes up the other rotations.

Of course not...

You've become so predictable.

dabom
03-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Chinook is taking a page out of Mid's book. :lol

dabom
03-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Always doubling down when you get a bone thrown your way.

KDKSpurs24
03-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Whenever he was on him* And do you not know why that is? Because OKC was having trouble when both Durant and Westbrook are both on the bench. SO recently KD goes out with like 5-6 minutes left on the clock and leaves Westbrook in. That's why Kawhi was on Westbrook when he was the only one in and KD when he was the only one in. When they were both on the floor he would go to Westbrook or Roberson. But Kawhi's help defense and ability to recover is great. Much better than others.

Anyways.. it's a good game plan either way. So i like it.

Chinook
03-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Of course not...

You've become so predictable.

You haven't explained why it's a good rotation. I already did show why it's a bad one. Put up or shut up. Right now, all you're doing is leaving a trail of butt-hurt that I don't just rubberstamp pictures on Twitter.

Chinook
03-25-2016, 06:23 PM
And do you not know why that is?

Yes. It was to save Kawhi for offense.

Because OKC was having trouble when both Durant and Westbrook are both on the bench. SO recently KD goes out with like 5-6 minutes left on the clock and leaves Westbrook in.

That's true. It just has nothing to do with who guarded whom.

That's why Kawhi was on Westbrook when he was the only one in and KD when he was the only one in. When they were both on the floor he would go to Westbrook or Roberson.

Kawhi only guarded Durant when Green wasn't in or on switches. He only guarded Westbrook on switches. Pop very blatantly didn't use Kawhi as a primary defender. That's not because Pop doesn't believe in Kawhi's abilities, so don't take that as me saying Leonard did a poor job.

But Kawhi's help defense and ability to recover is great. Much better than others.

My whole point isn't that Kawhi is a bad defender. It's not even that he's not the best perimeter defender in the league. It is to say that he hasn't been the same guy that he was last year. Last year, he was playing good enough defense to counteract Curry being so far ahead offensively. Right now, he's not. On a given night, he can absolutely be so good that Curry really can't touch him. But Kawhi's coasting defensively, and that's led to his actual production on that end to be lacking.

apalisoc_9
03-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Kawhi left curry open because the other three guys Parker-Green-Diaw was already of the position. They werent going to recover against Klay Thompson who was going shoot that and make that.

You always try to prevent a great shot and if it means it gets passed out to a potentially better shot than so be it.

Kawhi did a heck of a job helping that situation. He was forced to help because one of diaw or Parker was being a dumbass.

Aldridge was at tge top covering Green. Him being there allowed kawhi to help.

ElNono
03-25-2016, 06:26 PM
I mean, Kawhi left Curry wide the hell open on that play running to Thompson. It's great that broken-spirit Curry allowed Leonard to close out on him (it was a good, hard close too, like the ones ElNono hates), but he should never have had the chance. You can say that Kawhi was guarding Barnes at the beginning of that play, but he also left him wide the hell open to run at Thompson, who Parker was already closing out on. LMA is actually the hero of that play defensively, as he is pretty much providing perfect zone defense among Curry, Barnes and Green. Had he been in the wrong position, Klay throws that skip pass for an open look.

:lol to the chest... chest!!!

dabom
03-25-2016, 06:33 PM

I was gonna tag you but you were already tagged. :lol

Chinook
03-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Kawhi left curry open because the other three guys Parker-Green-Diaw was already of the position. They werent going to recover against Klay Thompson who was going shoot that and make that.

Parker did recover to Klay. But yes, I agree that three people closing out to a 17-percent shooter was just idiotic. Diaw was supposed to follow him but completely dropped off to get the rebound. Parker closed to Livingston rather than getting back to Klay. Danny was really confused as to why there were two people already guarding his man and had to figure out who was left open. When you make freelance rotations, this is what happens. That's why rotations are something that are scheme-dependent and are things that coaches work on during practice. You don't just run to the closest man any more than you leave your man to go for a rebound.

You always try to prevent a great shot and if it means it gets passed out to a potentially better shot than so be it.

I understand living for another pass. It's the reason why hard-closes are so effective. Problem is that Kawhi loaded the near side with four Spurs, which left a near-impossible defensive assignment for Aldridge.

Kawhi did a heck of a job helping that situation. He was forced to help because one of diaw or Parker was being a dumbass.

I credit him for being able to read the Curry situation faster than the others did. I don't credit him having tunnel-vision with Thompson.

Aldridge was at tge top covering Green. Him being there allowed kawhi to help.

Actually, LMA was in the paint when that sequence started. He sank into the elbow, saw Curry peel off and zoned them. Assuming Kawhi predicted all that is like assuming Parker and Diaw predicted Kawhi closing out to Klay. It comes down to LMA making a perfect reed to cover really messed up rotation sequence by the others. Too bad he wasn't around in 2013.

dabom
03-25-2016, 06:34 PM
tbh I never see Kawhi jump on a three point line shot. ElNono confirmed correct. :hat

Chinook
03-25-2016, 06:35 PM

JVG was talking about how awesome the Spurs' close-outs were in that game. It's clear the Spurs coach guys to do that. And we know he's never wrong.

dabom
03-25-2016, 06:36 PM
tbh I said Sean and Bill always get on players for jumping ont he ball fake at the 3point line. :lol

Kawhitstorm
03-25-2016, 06:40 PM
There's no explanation as to why Kawhi decided to run to Thompson, but Parker was already covering up for Diaw's mistake (his man was Curry after the switch). This was pretty much the same as Russ' attempted steal at the end of Game Six of the 2014 WCF. The difference being that Duncan held onto the ball and scored.

What is this "switch" you are speaking of? That was a broken play where Kawhi was originally on Barnes, Danny on Livingston, Porker on Klay, LMA on Dryamond & Boris on Curry (although he completely lost him:lol). Klay bricked the shot & Danny ran to the rim only for the ball to go over his head right to Livingston. When Livingston grabbed the ball, Porker/Danny/Diaw all ran toward him leaving Klay/Curry unmarked (that is where the screen shot start).

Kawhi ran to Klay b/c Porker has his back turned & didn't see Klay until Kawhi lunged at him. Kawhi put on the break when Porker spotted Klay otherwise Klay would have had a WIDE open 3 w/ his feet set. It was freakin' Danny that let Curry sneak past him when he was chasing the ball & he proceeded to follow Porker when he also spotted Klay.:lol

I'm not sure what WestBrick going for a weakside block has anything to do w/ this play whatsoever. If anything this is similar to the Gm 6 situation where Danny lost Ray Allen after a missed shot & we all know who Pop blamed for leaving LeBrick open on the other broken play.:lol

dabom
03-25-2016, 06:44 PM
What is this "switch" you are speaking of? That was a broken play where Kawhi was originally on Barnes, Danny on Livingston, Porker on Klay, LMA on Dryamond & Boris on Curry (although he completely lost him:lol). Klay bricked the shot & Danny ran to the rim only for the ball to go over his head right to Livingston. When Livingston grabbed the ball, Porker/Danny/Diaw all ran toward him leaving Klay/Curry unmarked (that is where the screen shot start).

Kawhi ran to Klay b/c Porker has his back turned & didn't see Klay until Kawhi lunged at him. Kawhi put on the break when Porker spotted Klay otherwise Klay would have had a WIDE open 3 w/ his feet set. It was freakin' Danny that let Curry sneak past him when he was chasing the ball & he proceeded to follow Porker when he also spotted Klay.:lol

I'm not sure what WestBrick going for a weakside block has anything to do w/ this play whatsoever. If anything this is similar to the Gm 6 situation where Danny lost Ray Allen after a missed shot & we all know on whom Pop put the blame.:lol

:wow:wow:wow

:toast

apalisoc_9
03-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Parker did recover to Klay. But yes, I agree that three people closing out to a 17-percent shooter was just idiotic. Diaw was supposed to follow him but completely dropped off to get the rebound. Parker closed to Livingston rather than getting back to Klay. Danny was really confused as to why there were two people already guarding his man and had to figure out who was left open. When you make freelance rotations, this is what happens. That's why rotations are something that are scheme-dependent and are things that coaches work on during practice. You don't just run to the closest man any more than you leave your man to go for a rebound.

I understand living for another pass. It's the reason why hard-closes are so effective. Problem is that Kawhi loaded the near side with four Spurs, which left a near-impossible defensive assignment for Aldridge.

I credit him for being able to read the Curry situation faster than the others did. I don't credit him having tunnel-vision with Thompson.

Actually, LMA was in the paint when that sequence started. He sank into the elbow, saw Curry peel off and zoned them. Assuming Kawhi predicted all that is like assuming Parker and Diaw predicted Kawhi closing out to Klay. It comes down to LMA making a perfect reed to cover really messed up rotation sequence by the others. Too bad he wasn't around in 2013.

You're contradicting yourself here. You're saying its always better to live another pass, that wasnt going to happen with a 6-2 Parker being 10 feet away from thomposon.

Thompson would have made that easy shot if kawhi didnt try to solve one of diaw or Parker or Green mistakes...

Kawhi was on barnes...he wasnt responsibile with curry

ElNono
03-25-2016, 07:25 PM
JVG was talking about how awesome the Spurs' close-outs were in that game. It's clear the Spurs coach guys to do that. And we know he's never wrong.

I love JVG, tbh...

UZER
03-25-2016, 08:32 PM
Kawhi needs to take a play out of Pippens book and start forcing players to their weak hand. It will prevent him getting picked off so easy because he would just step out wider and force the roll instead of the pick.. Not sure how it would fit in the overall system, but his one defensive flaw is getting easily picked off.

apalisoc_9
03-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Kawhi needs to take a play out of Pippens book and start forcing players to their weak hand. It will prevent him getting picked off so easy because he would just step out wider and force the roll instead of the pick.. Not sure how it would fit in the overall system, but his one defensive flaw is getting easily picked off.

Not a good fit to the defensive scheme. Spurs love to funnel guards to fheir bigs.

rasuo214
03-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Pretty sure Chinook is the same person who was bitching about Kawhi playing textbook transition defense earlier this season. So yea I'd take those defensive opinions with a grain of salt.

Also from a statistical pov:

2015:
DRPM: 4.59
DRtg: 96
DWS: 4.4

2016:
DRPM: 4.60
DRtg: 95
DWS: 5.2

Chinook
03-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Pretty sure Chinook is the same person who was bitching about Kawhi playing textbook transition defense earlier this season. So yea I'd take those defensive opinions with a grain of salt.

What was the textbook defense? I have complained that Leonard often runs into paint while defending the break to help when it's not necessary and that him doing so left his man open as a trailer. And I showed the video of that. If you meant something else, please elaborate.

Also from a statistical pov:

2015:
DRPM: 4.59
DRtg: 96
DWS: 4.4

2016:
DRPM: 4.60
DRtg: 95
DWS: 5.2

That's pretty much irrelevant for quite a few reasons. The most important one is that I am talking about the defense he's playing game to game now compared to what he was doing this time a year ago. I wasn't talking about his entire season versus last season.

barakz21
03-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Well.. He IS our MVP. So..

DMC
03-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Green is a great defender but not in KL's league. In transition, Danny is the best in the league imo.