PDA

View Full Version : Fire Pop, tbh

ElNono
03-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Who does he thinks he is? Too much babysitting professional athletes, tbh... "But, but, Kawhi has a bubu :cry, he gonna miss the next 3 games"...

Hope we can get Kerr once he's done with Golden State, tbh... he's not afraid to go for 70+...

TheGreatYacht
03-26-2016, 10:41 PM
:pop: "Matty go out there in the second half and space the floor"

K...
03-26-2016, 10:43 PM
You know who can coach Simmons and Anderson to a title? Becky obv. If pop is gonna insist on gignato head then we know who must be promoted.

cjw
03-26-2016, 10:49 PM
You think the Spurs would have beaten GS 2x more PLUS having GS drop another game while Spurs holding serve the whole way? If not, then no reason to try at this point.

K...
03-26-2016, 10:54 PM
:pop: "Matty go out there in the second half and space the floor"

to be fair, you can;t space the floor without a threat at the rim......Matty is in shape but TOSB Duncan can't stay on the floor, and you want to blame the rocket? Hell no.

Robz4000
03-26-2016, 10:57 PM
I'd fire him just for the fact Bonner is still on the team tbh.

ElNono
03-26-2016, 10:57 PM
You think the Spurs would have beaten GS 2x more PLUS having GS drop another game while Spurs holding serve the whole way? If not, then no reason to try at this point.

It's not about the regular season championship, it's about giving the fans what they want, tbh... You wanna rest the big 3? fine, then at least play LMA/Kawhi... flat out quitting games is retarded, tbh... who's he kidding?

He couldn't pull this shit coaching anywhere else without the kind of job security he has...

ElNono
03-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Not to mention potential last season for legends like Tim and Manu, who are already severely restricted minutes-wise... now they're going to be resting 2 games in a row? not even a back to back? Come on!.

Fuck off and shave that ridiculous beard, smh...

timtonymanu
03-26-2016, 11:03 PM
I'd fire him just for the fact Bonner is still on the team tbh.

coachmac87
03-26-2016, 11:06 PM
I
It's not about the regular season championship, it's about giving the fans what they want, tbh... You wanna rest the big 3? fine, then at least play LMA/Kawhi... flat out quitting games is retarded, tbh... who's he kidding?

He couldn't pull this shit coaching anywhere else without the kind of job security he has...

Yeah you're right..except he is who he is and he's the only coach who has rotation players over the age of 35+.

spursistan
03-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Have feeling he is going to adversely fuck us with the rest shtick resulting in another 2014 Mavericks series..After that 5-game home-stand we built a good playoff-like intensity that he is deflating with mass-DNP bullshit..Manu/Tim were rounding into form and and now he slap them with 5 days rest and maybe more..

TheGreatYacht
03-26-2016, 11:16 PM
I just hope this DNP crap doesn't fuck with LMA's rhythm...

spursistan
03-26-2016, 11:24 PM
I just hope this DNP crap doesn't fuck with LMA's rhythm...
:cry b..b..b..but develop Kyle/Simmons :cry

Budkin
03-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Nono be trollin'

spursistan
03-26-2016, 11:26 PM
It is not like Kawhi/LMA are averaging 35/36 MPG ffs...both are under 33 MPG with already 5 games of rest under their belt..

ElNono
03-26-2016, 11:28 PM
It is not like Kawhi/LMA are averaging 35/36 MPG ffs...both are under 33 MPG with already 5 games of rest under their belt..

:cry they need rest so they're fresh for Team USA in Brazil :cry

TheGreatYacht
03-26-2016, 11:29 PM
:cry b..b..b..but develop Kyle/Simmons :cry
Ninehead was actually decent in the first quarter... When he was giving Boban the ball

Horse
03-26-2016, 11:31 PM
This shit it dumb but so was starting Bonner 2nd half instead of Boban.

pgardn
03-26-2016, 11:35 PM
The OP needs to run on wood for 82 games... and then more.
Take a bat to Nono's shins.

KenziE
03-26-2016, 11:35 PM
:cry they need rest so they're fresh for Team USA in Brazil :cry

staying healthy and injury free is the main focus now ... Think big picture my good sir ElNono you know better specially since it was Manu who got injured in that last reg season game ....

Solid D
03-26-2016, 11:38 PM
The game began to swing into OKC's hands when Matt Bonner entered the game. Unfortunately, the game would have been closer had the Spurs used a 3-Big rotation (Boban, Boris and David). Time has moved on and skills have diminished. Against Spurstalk players, Matt would dominate but against the Thunder, he sank the Spurs to the bottom of the lake.

Spurtacular
03-27-2016, 12:17 AM
Who does he thinks he is? Too much babysitting professional athletes, tbh... "But, but, Kawhi has a bubu :cry, he gonna miss the next 3 games"...

Hope we can get Kerr once he's done with Golden State, tbh... he's not afraid to go for 70+...

Just an official excuse that looks better on the ledger than DNP Rest

You really have a problem with Kawhi sitting out a meaningless game?

Hoops Czar
03-27-2016, 12:25 AM

I can't tell if this was suppose to be written in blue font or not but I actually agree 100% with a Nono post :wow There's actually no statistical significance to regular season minute management which Pop does regularly versus resting players for an entire game. Players will be fresh and ready for the playoffs. It also accomplishes nothing because players who need development don't develop playing with peers that are their equal or arguably worse than they are. It's just a wasted opportunity.

I don't really give a shit about what the fans want to see though. The Spurs are not a well oiled machine on offense and they could use this time against stiffer competition (win or lose) to round into form for the playoffs. With that said, I'm sure the Spurs will be full strength against the Pelicans. :lol Dat historic PD is in jeopardy.

SAGirl
03-27-2016, 12:33 AM
Funny thread Nono. I get your sense of humor now. :flag:

Frankly I had a couple beers and I am chuckling at the meltdowns too. :bobo

ElNono
03-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Our guys are so old, they'll probably just as likely to get injured stepping down from their Porsches, tbh... I mean, a month off because you got kneed in the nuts? Freak shit happens, all this resting is beard man getting too cute for his own good...

ElNono
03-27-2016, 12:39 AM
staying healthy and injury free is the main focus now ... Think big picture my good sir ElNono you know better specially since it was Manu who got injured in that last reg season game ....

That's what I'm saying, this is Pop outsmarting himself... so he meticulously rests Manu, restricts his minutes, then he gets hurt in the last fucking game of the regular season (ofcourse he plays him)... he's no Nonostradamus, injuries happen, and he needs to stop trying to be cute out there with this shit... injuries are not really under his control... rest is, up to an extent...

It's also clear the change of ownership isn't going to change this shit, tbh...

ElNono
03-27-2016, 12:41 AM
I can't tell if this was suppose to be written in blue font or not but I actually agree 100% with a Nono post :wow There's actually no statistical significance to regular season minute management which Pop does regularly versus resting players for an entire game. Players will be fresh and ready for the playoffs. It also accomplishes nothing because players who need development don't develop playing with peers that are their equal or arguably worse than they are. It's just a wasted opportunity.

I don't really give a shit about what the fans want to see though. The Spurs are not a well oiled machine on offense and they could use this time against stiffer competition (win or lose) to round into form for the playoffs. With that said, I'm sure the Spurs will be full strength against the Pelicans. :lol Dat historic PD is in jeopardy.

It's ok to manage minutes and rest guys, but at least try to put a competitive team out there, don't rest everybody with an ounce of talent and forfeit the game...

Hoops Czar
03-27-2016, 12:54 AM
It's ok to manage minutes and rest guys, but at least try to put a competitive team out there, don't rest everybody with an ounce of talent and forfeit the game...

That's sort of the point though. If you're going to manage players minutes throughout the course of the season, you don't need to rest them for full games. Even if you do choose to sit them for a game or two, you don't have to sit them all in the same game,

I don't know Leonard's status but, if Pop was intent on sitting the big three while giving Leonard another couple of days to recover, then playing LMA is just a waste of time.

ElNono
03-27-2016, 12:58 AM
That's sort of the point though. If you're going to manage players minutes throughout the course of the season, you don't need to rest them for full games. Even if you do choose to sit them for a game or two, you don't have to sit them all in the same game,

I don't know Leonard's status but, if Pop was intent on sitting the big three while giving Leonard another couple of days to recover, then playing LMA is just a waste of time.

If Kawhi is on another team with a different coach, he plays tonight. I have zero doubts about that. But Popazit knows better...

z0sa
03-27-2016, 01:07 AM
Pop's so lucky. He's a worse coattailer than PJ.

703 Spurz
03-27-2016, 01:12 AM

The fans want the team healthy and ready for the playoffs. Someone gonna cry because the Spurs care about winning it all versus playing certain guys because some dickhole in the stands paid money to see them?

Fuck all that noise.

J_Paco
03-27-2016, 01:16 AM
The fans want the team healthy and ready for the playoffs. Someone gonna cry because the Spurs care about winning it all versus playing certain guys because some dickhole in the stands paid money to see them?

Fuck all that noise.

Exactly, it isn't about the regular season and we as fans should realize this by now (if this isn't a trolling thread or sarcasm). This has been Pop's m.o. since at least 2011, so get with the program or root for another team.

His 5 NBA titles and countless other accolades give him carte blanch. To be totally honest I'm okay with that as long as Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are around.

SAGirl
03-27-2016, 01:20 AM
:lol Some good points.
There was really little to be gained from this, but it was a scheduled loss anyways, so why bother.

This is the thought that entered Pop's mind and I am going to roast my own guy here:

"Wow the game I have to play Kyle against Kevin Durant for a full 30 something minutes is the game I cannot win no matter what so WTF. F*ck this! I am going to really scrub it up big time and not show any schemes or anything. Lets bring Bonner out too!"
:pop:
:rollin
Let's see if our shooters got anything: Danny? Martin? You got anything? no? Damn.
Let's see if Boris gets off his lazy bum? Boris.. still coastorama mode? Damn.
Simmons you ready to go? Juice it up... Damn Juice I might need. hmmmm
Captain D.West? You got it going on but damn that PnR D, damn that rebounding though.
Boban? WTH you doing? Where is the rebounding Boban? Are you boxing out Boban? Damn Boban go into the corner, I am starting the 3rd with Bonner! Damn.
Patty? 0 assists in over 30 minutes? Damn Patty you are reaching some CoJo levels there with that stuff. Oh you mean no one had it going and you couldn't make passes to set up Boban? What are you saying, you are no PG? ah well hell! Damn!

:lmao

On another note, you do learn about the character of young players from this one, but that is not worth throwing a game over and it does break their spirit a little bit.

ooooo wait! What are you saying Pop you wanted the youngsters to feel like they are in the 76ers? Oh well Damn Pop!

---> By the way, I liked A. Miller. Too bad he's 40 yrs. old. Damn!

spursistan
03-27-2016, 01:22 AM
What has Pop achieved from resting a guy like Danny Green against Memphis or Sacto? Dude still ICY and rythmless AF..I honestly think the "rest" thing has become a sort of vanity shtick for Pop...

KenziE
03-27-2016, 01:26 AM
:lol Some good points.
There was really little to be gained from this, but it was a scheduled loss anyways, so why bother.

This is the thought that entered Pop's mind and I am going to roast my own guy here:

"Wow the game I have to play Kyle against Kevin Durant for a full 30 something minutes is the game I cannot win no matter what so WTF. F*ck this! I am going to really scrub it up big time and not show any schemes or anything. Lets bring Bonner out too!"
:pop:
:rollin
Let's see if our shooters got anything: Danny? Martin? You got anything? no? Damn.
Let's see if Boris gets off his lazy bum? Boris.. still coastorama mode? Damn.
Simmons you ready to go? Juice it up... Damn Juice I might need. hmmmm
Captain D.West? You got it going on but damn that PnR D, damn that rebounding though.
Boban? WTH you doing? Where is the rebounding Boban? Are you boxing out Boban? Damn Boban go into the corner, I am starting the 3rd with Bonner! Damn.
Patty? 0 assists in over 30 minutes? Damn Patty you are reaching some CoJo levels there with that stuff. Oh you mean no one had it going and you couldn't make passes to set up Boban? What are you saying, you are no PG? ah well hell! Damn!

On another note, you do learn about the character of young players from this one, but that is not worth throwing a game over and it does break their spirit a little bit.

ooooo wait! What are you saying Pop you wanted the youngsters to feel like they are in the 76ers? Oh well Damn Pop!

---> By the way, I liked A. Miller. Too bad he's 40 yrs. old. Damn!

wahahaha somebody had too much corona

happy easter ya'll

weeks
03-27-2016, 01:26 AM
I get it but i still can't stand the outright surrender of the 1st seed
It just sticks in my craw

so fuck you pop
fuck you

you better hold serve at home you arrogant sob

z0sa
03-27-2016, 01:31 AM
What has Pop achieved from resting a guy like Danny Green against Memphis or Sacto? Dude still ICY and rythmless AF..I honestly think the "rest" thing has become a sort of vanity shtick for Pop...

It's simple locker room politics. Green is considered part of the inner circle right now. When he took below market value, it's understood he receives some minor "perks" and a slightly inflated respect value from the organization. Not that Pop plays favorites, it's just how he tends to go about things. I wouldn't be surprised if he had made this decision concerning Danny back in August :lol

spurs10
03-27-2016, 02:03 AM
Step away from that pipe sir! :wow

marinoman
03-27-2016, 02:16 AM

Fuck all that noise.
This x1000, the big picture is what matters. El Nono wants pop to be like former coach thibs that runs his players into the ground.
Hey Nono remember that time ginobili got hurt in the last game of the season which was a meaningless game for the Spurs? But hey at least the fans got their money's worth

dabom
03-27-2016, 02:44 AM
Do people not see the sarcasm guys? :lol

OP. :tu :lol

apalisoc_9
03-27-2016, 02:58 AM
Resting has more to do with mental fatigue...

Venti Quattro
03-27-2016, 03:01 AM
Fire him, tbh

spurs10
03-27-2016, 03:04 AM
Do people not see the sarcasm guys? :lol

OP. :tu :lol :lol Apparently not! EN :stirpot:......

UNT Eagles 2016
03-27-2016, 03:04 AM
It took the Spurs until March 26th to lose a game on the second night of a back-to-back...

That is pretty damn impressive.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2016, 03:11 AM
This x1000, the big picture is what matters. El Nono wants pop to be like former coach thibs that runs his players into the ground.
Hey Nono remember that time ginobili got hurt in the last game of the season which was a meaningless game for the Spurs? But hey at least the fans got their money's worth

That's not what he said at all. :lol

Our guys are so old, they'll probably just as likely to get injured stepping down from their Porsches, tbh... I mean, a month off because you got kneed in the nuts? Freak shit happens, all this resting is beard man getting too cute for his own good...

How is Pop suppose to prevent injuries, Wrap them in bubble wrap and sit them on the end of the bench until the playoffs arrive? Sure, he can rest them a game here and there but that doesn't mean when they come back, they're immune from injuries. There's still 10 games left in the regular season, not one or two. Too much rest can also have a negative impact on players especially when they're playing well. It can throw off their rhythm and timing.

DenialTwist
03-27-2016, 03:13 AM
I bet Kawhi and LMA could've played. Hope they play against the Grizzlies. I can understand Pop taking his foot off the gas since the 1 seed is pretty much locked up. Curry and co. are going for 73 wins and they are almost there, let them get tired and fatigued reaching for that milestone. Spurs need a full healthy roster when the playoffs start.

Kikoluna
03-27-2016, 03:40 AM
I think the white flag was waived to early. I Hate these intentional l's.

will_spurs
03-27-2016, 05:21 AM
Nono's posts should have permanent blue font :lol

bic50
03-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Step away from that pipe sir! :wow

Mel_13
03-27-2016, 07:17 AM
:lol

ElNono threads always deliver.

littlecoyotecoin
03-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Nono anticipated your existence. But, I agree with you, too. I think pitchers should pitch on less than three days rest because there is no benefit to the human body from rest. No statistically significant evidence shows that rest is good.

DDUBB1770
03-27-2016, 08:02 AM
If Kawhi is on another team with a different coach, he plays tonight. I have zero doubts about that. But Popazit knows better...

Just a fat guy saying fat guy things... Jesus fucking Popsicle !!!

Texas_Ranger
03-27-2016, 08:11 AM
i don't care about him resting Duncan or Manu on a back to back, but resting Green, Mills or Aldridge is retarded.

littlecoyotecoin
03-27-2016, 08:18 AM
i don't care about him resting Duncan or Manu on a back to back, but resting Green, Mills or Aldridge is retarded.

In January.

GSH
03-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Holy shit! Nono? I thought you were trolling at first. Did you put your glass down at the rave, and then drink out of it?

Spurs9
03-27-2016, 08:43 AM
As long as he keeps starting Boban I'm good with whatever he does

DMC
03-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Tim does look done. It's pretty sad to see him sitting on the floor while some scrub we rejected steals his cookie and dunks it at the other end. I wonder if Tim considers this season to be "wheels off".

DMC
03-27-2016, 08:55 AM
El using outriggers to catch them two at a time.

pjjrfan
03-27-2016, 09:16 AM
I look back at the year we lost to Memphis in the 1st rd Pop rested Manu in game 81 but then played him in a meanless game 82 against the Suns and he blew out his arm like in the first two minutes and Manu was our best player that year,I sometimes think pop overthinks this shit and he's already messing with the chemistry by trying to force feed KMart into the system

K...
03-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Start of the year....starting line up sucks but bench is good...

Pop IDs culprit as Danny green....known party boi. Solution trade bench guy for shooter and pass first pg.

Now starters good, but Danny green still bad. Bench bad. It's like wack a mole.

Too late up fix bench. Just have to hope Manu and Boris bring it.

Probably too late to integrate Martin in while also not wrecking party boy's confidence.

It's looking like the buyouts + ginos surgery were too much stress on the bench. Not enough talent and leadership on the team anymore with Manu one foot in the grave.

Strategic
03-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Thibs says hello

pgardn
03-27-2016, 11:11 AM
:lol Apparently not! EN :stirpot:......

When you quote a member of the crew you must remember to hedge your bets.

Post something that can be taken one of only two ways and you give yourself and out.

That is of course known as, chicken shit.

You are welcome.

pgardn
03-27-2016, 11:23 AM
The bottom line is that too many teams make the playoffs and there are too many games.

The resting would be much less rampant if regular season games were more meaningful. The goal of the organization most of us root for on this site is to put ourselves in position to win an NBA championship. Pop is sold that this is the way to do it.

And we can all nit pick his actions in this area. Like we know the team better than a guy who sees them almost everyday, on and off the court. Bashing a guy who has created a championship with a defensive monster, a team dominated by post play, a well rounded team, a team that played the most beautiful passing basketball of all time, a team that currently utilizes a star from a completely different system and has a chance to eclipse the others?... Sure, he's an idiot unwilling to change his ways. Just a pig headed guy who can't adapt...

ElNono
03-27-2016, 11:31 AM
:lol I wasn't drunk last night, and yeah, there's some subtle trolling here or there ITT...

probably the fact that Bonner played for more than 10 mins triggered some long forgotten anxiety rush, violent reactions... apologies, tbh

03-27-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm all for rest as long as it doesn't jeopardize the chance to go 41-0 at home.

That's some history making stuff and I don't want Golden State to have it for themselves.

ElNono
03-27-2016, 11:33 AM
But at some point, there should be discussions about this stuff, IMO. It's not the same to rest your top 2-3 guys vs outright resting your top 5 guys to what basically amounts forfeiting the game...

And it should be discussed and analyzed both in the context of the diminished value of entertainment and whether the scientific value of that kind of "complete games" of rest.

Then again, Pop might be done soon anyways, and I don't really see many coaches having his job's security to pull it off elsewhere, so it might be a non-issue...

Mnky
03-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Nono just wants LMA and Kawhi to get injured, so Manu can shine tbh.

pgardn
03-27-2016, 11:48 AM
But at some point, there should be discussions about this stuff, IMO. It's not the same to rest your top 2-3 guys vs outright resting your top 5 guys to what basically amounts forfeiting the game...

And it should be discussed and analyzed both in the context of the diminished value of entertainment and whether the scientific value of that kind of "complete games" of rest.

Then again, Pop might be done soon anyways, and I don't really see many coaches having his job's security to pull it off elsewhere, so it might be a non-issue...

In the interviews quoted with Pop he makes the claim he learned a whole lot about his bench AND about OKC.

In my readings of his quotes he put a team on the floor to test certain aspects of our guys games, but more importantly OKC. Paraphrase: The guys were asked to play the way we wanted them to play this team and we learned a whole lot. Very happy for the effort and the sacrifice. This OKC team is very explosive. We learn when we win and lose.

So sort of an apology with the claim of a bigger picture involved. May be caca but I enjoyed the watch. For those who bought tickets in OKC hoping to see our best put on the floor, recognize that in this form of entertainment the lead actors may have to sit out a few performances. There is a suggestion box in the NBA office. Check the "play fewer regular season games and cut the number of teams making the playoffs in half" box. Good luck.

spurs10
03-27-2016, 01:09 PM
He got fined a boat-load of money last time. I wonder if they'll do it again. Leaving LMA home had no rhyme or reason and the game was a forfeit. I've decided to sell my tickets to our last home game because I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks watching Mattie duking it out with Kevin Durant.

SilverSpur
03-27-2016, 01:30 PM
It's all about winning the championship. If GS ends the season with the best record and we win the championship, I will take that every time .
We are not going to catch GS and no one is going to catch us ,so we will be the number 2 seed. no need to go all out and risk Kawhi aggravating his injury or tire out the older guys.
That's why it's important to beat the teams you know you can beat ( Charlotte ) and be able to sacrafice OKC. for rest.
ESPN announced the day before that we were going to sit everyone so OKC is like" Damn, SA don't even sweat us "
Pop knows how to screw with people.
I don't understand the Aldridge DNP and playing Diaw who's older.
Maybe Diaw is scheduled for rest soon
All in all we are having a great season. What would be said if players started to get hurt, break down or wear out because we played them against OKC chasing Westbrook around.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2016, 01:47 PM
It's all about winning the championship. If GS ends the season with the best record and we win the championship, I will take that every time .
We are not going to catch GS and no one is going to catch us ,so we will be the number 2 seed. no need to go all out and risk Kawhi aggravating his injury or tire out the older guys.
That's why it's important to beat the teams you know you can beat ( Charlotte ) and be able to sacrafice OKC. for rest.
ESPN announced the day before that we were going to sit everyone so OKC is like" Damn, SA don't even sweat us "
Pop knows how to screw with people.
I don't understand the Aldridge DNP and playing Diaw who's older.
Maybe Diaw is scheduled for rest soon
All in all we are having a great season. What would be said if players started to get hurt, break down or wear out because we played them against OKC chasing Westbrook around.

That doesn't explain why you'd need to rest the big three for Monday's game in Memphis.

DMC
03-27-2016, 02:08 PM

Then again, Pop might be done soon anyways, and I don't really see many coaches having his job's security to pull it off elsewhere, so it might be a non-issue... This type of thing has always been Pop's way of fucking with the media and the NBA. He also always has some legitimate reason however he's undoubtedly getting his own agenda fulfilled since he has the leeway to do so. Pop is a real prick. I'm sure he's a nice guy IRL, but he seems to hate the NBA and the media. Odd he's made a fortune working for both.

dabom
03-27-2016, 02:09 PM
This type of thing has always been Pop's way of fucking with the media and the NBA. He also always has some legitimate reason however he's undoubtedly getting his own agenda fulfilled since he has the leeway to do so. Pop is a real prick. I'm sure he's a nice guy IRL, but he seems to hate the NBA and the media. Odd he's made a fortune working for both.

Pop has tenure you stupid fuck. He can do whatever he wants faggot. :lmao

DMC
03-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Pop has tenure you stupid fuck. He can do whatever he wants faggot. :lmao

That's what "leeway" means you stupid piece of 3rd world shit.

SpursDynasty
03-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Pop should rest Duncan, Manu, Tony, Kawhi, and Aldridge for the rest of the regular season, leave us at 61-21 then blast through the playoffs.

DMC
03-27-2016, 02:24 PM
I don't think going into the playoffs on a 9 game losing streak is in Pop's itinerary.

Slomo
03-27-2016, 02:29 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/Slomo/OP_Trawling.jpg

.G.
03-27-2016, 02:38 PM
http://sanibel-captiva.org/sanibel-island-fishing-/sanibel-island-fishing.jpg

KL2
03-27-2016, 02:42 PM
All that matters right now is getting to the playoffs healthy, GS is starting to slow down a bit, should they meet in the WCF, SA will most likely be the fresher team, could be the deciding factor. Won't be shocked if GS gets another injury to one of their key players soon.

ElNono
03-27-2016, 02:54 PM
This type of thing has always been Pop's way of fucking with the media and the NBA. He also always has some legitimate reason however he's undoubtedly getting his own agenda fulfilled since he has the leeway to do so. Pop is a real prick. I'm sure he's a nice guy IRL, but he seems to hate the NBA and the media. Odd he's made a fortune working for both.

Needs to get over himself, tbh... at the end of the day he's fucking with the fans...

J_Paco
03-27-2016, 03:10 PM

Exactly, during a meaningless game and going for a unnecessary steal. Injuries are unpredictable, but I appreciate Pop trying to keep guys "fresh" and rested for the games that matter.

And people believing the Spurs were going to make up ground and pass Golden State are either dumb or naive. Yes, the Spurs were going to go undefeated to end the season - cause they pulled that off last season when it was more vital for seeding, right (?) - and all of sudden the best team was going to lose 4 or 5 games down the stretch run. Pfffft

DMC
03-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Needs to get over himself, tbh... at the end of the day he's fucking with the fans...

No coach is perfect and I highly doubt the Spurs would have many fans with a lesser coach. The problem with being a genius at something is that you are inept at something else most likely.

DMC
03-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Exactly, during a meaningless game and going for a unnecessary steal. Injuries are unpredictable, but I appreciate Pop trying to keep guys "fresh" and rested for the games that matter.

And people believing the Spurs were going to make up ground and pass Golden State are either dumb or naive. Yes, the Spurs were going to go undefeated to end the season - cause they pulled that off last season when it was more vital for seeding, right (?) - and all of sudden the best team was going to lose 4 or 5 games down the stretch run. Pfffft

Even if they did, ok so you get one more game at home instead of on the road. When has that mattered? If anything you'd get an easier path to the WCF, but the Mavs owe GS an upset. I'd like to see them pay it off this year.

J_Paco
03-27-2016, 03:39 PM
That doesn't explain why you'd need to rest the big three for Monday's game in Memphis.

That is a winnable game without them. Other than Manu, Tony and Timmy could definitely use the extra days off. I think Manu should play to get over whatever remaining rust he has but Martin, Simmons and Anderson need the reps. Like it or not, one of them will have play in the playoffs. I'm not sold on either Martin or Anderson as the 4th wing, but Simmons is too inexperienced and erratic to play meaningful minutes in the postseason.

Spurs9
03-27-2016, 03:50 PM
:lol I wasn't drunk last night, and yeah, there's some subtle trolling here or there ITT...

probably the fact that Bonner played for more than 10 mins triggered some long forgotten anxiety rush, violent reactions... apologies, tbh

Açepted tbh

SAGirl
03-27-2016, 03:52 PM
In the interviews quoted with Pop he makes the claim he learned a whole lot about his bench AND about OKC.

In my readings of his quotes he put a team on the floor to test certain aspects of our guys games, but more importantly OKC. Paraphrase: The guys were asked to play the way we wanted them to play this team and we learned a whole lot. Very happy for the effort and the sacrifice. This OKC team is very explosive. We learn when we win and lose.

So sort of an apology with the claim of a bigger picture involved. May be caca but I enjoyed the watch. For those who bought tickets in OKC hoping to see our best put on the floor, recognize that in this form of entertainment the lead actors may have to sit out a few performances. There is a suggestion box in the NBA office. Check the "play fewer regular season games and cut the number of teams making the playoffs in half" box. Good luck.
I agree with you. It was an interesting game regardless. IMO if we had another big but Bonner it wouldn't have been a blowout. It was a loss anyways, but the game got away from us when Bonner got in at the end of the 2nd Q, start of the 3rd. His lack of defense, rebounding, boxing out and in general contributing anything positive was a downfall but that is nothing new.

The new guys were Anderson, Boban, Simmons and Martin and Pop learned from each and the first 3 rarely compete against elite teams like this. The fact they didn't hang with them is no surprise but you hope they can build up from success or failure. They don't get chances like this regularly.

I though if Boban had a good game we would have a chance to make it a game and I stated that hours b4 the game. He didn't. Adams played him defensively better than any big he's seen in the league. He's strong enough to not be backed down by Boban, boxed Boban out of the way, didn't let him get good post position for high low passes, etc. Made Boban look human, not like the demigod he's in garbage time. You don't learn that if you are just playing Boban in garbage time and how much is Boban worth to us next season$$? Can't tell if you don't put him in this kind of position. It's possible Pop learned a lot about Boban from this one.

There were things to be learned about the wings too. Obviously Simmons and Anderson being the newbies they are and Anderson being a youngster still developing his game, any opportunities you can give them against really good competition they can benefit from anyways, on both ends, and they still have a lot of chemistry together. Whether that is bc their games complement each other well, they are comfortable playing with each other having developed together or what? I don't know. That is how young cores develop everywhere else in the league. They go through struggles together, work behind close doors, get better. They just did that in the dleague, SL and staggered this season, not night in and night out like other teams, not even like Danny and Kawhi did. Given that, they still play well together. They look for each other in games and we really haven't seen them together much. They have been split up most of the time. Either one or the other is in the game etc. That maybe is not of much use to us to know right now, but it is for Pop this off-season, when he has to restructure the bench.

Pop can consider things like whether he needs a veteran wing next season if Manu retires, or if he can trust in the continued improvement of these two. I think in their case, the whole package of the two of them together is better than the individual parts. They were much more tame when they were split up, maybe lack of chemistry with others, but I think not. They fit together in their own way.

Is Martin a fit for the team long term if we don't get Manu back? I though possibly previously, but after this game, maybe not. He's not a better fit next to either Simmons or Anderson than these two are together and with possibly Bertans coming over as a designated shooter we probably don't need his skills next season.

It was an I interesting game from that point of view. Pop learned from OKC, but also from his guys.

ace3g
03-27-2016, 05:38 PM
(https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA) (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA) (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA) Chuck Miketinac (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA)
MAXSportsSA (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA)

Kawhi Leonard is questionable for tomorrow's Spurs-Grizzlies game. Tim Duncan (rest), Manu Ginobili (rest) and Tony Parker (rest) ARE OUT.

K...
03-27-2016, 05:47 PM
obv pop dont give no fucks.....

ElNono
03-27-2016, 06:19 PM
(https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA) (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA) (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA) Chuck Miketinac (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA)
MAXSportsSA (https://twitter.com/MaxSportsSA)

Kawhi Leonard is questionable for tomorrow's Spurs-Grizzlies game. Tim Duncan (rest), Manu Ginobili (rest) and Tony Parker (rest) ARE OUT.

Wonder if Bonner is available? :rolleyes when is he getting rest?

GSH
03-27-2016, 06:40 PM

Okay, I'm back through the looking glass. :lol I was actually dreading reading through the rest of this thread. Thought maybe you'd gone full-on dark side.

That game was seriously hard to watch - no fun to watch. It's the convergence of competition and entertainment. I don't know if resting all those guys at the same time helps, or is part of some mental strategy. But I believe that Pop thinks so. But at the same time, we all buy tickets or tune in for a reason, and that wasn't it. So maybe he's making the team more competitive for the playoffs, but he definitely took away any entertainment value.

About 5 minutes into the second half, I just turned it off - so it's an 81-game season. If I had watched the whole thing, maybe I'd have snapped too.

At least maybe it put to rest the idea that Boban could be competitive against starter-quality bigs.

Hoops Czar
03-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Wonder if Bonner is available? :rolleyes when is he getting rest?

Bonner's been resting the entire season. Did you mean Kyle Anderson?

UZER
03-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Said this before long ago, I don't like the resting thing. Limit minutes, but sitting out multiple games kills team rhythm. A random game throughout the season here or there is fine (I still don't even like that), but this sitting half the team down is stupid. For young guys, its not necessary. it's something that should be reserved only for guys 35 and older.

It's Pop's I'm smarter than you I micro manage everything on this team I haven't gotten over myself...self. That's why he's an ass to local reporters so he doesn't have to answer for anything.

ElNono
03-27-2016, 06:53 PM

Bonner plays too much already

GSH
03-27-2016, 06:56 PM

LOL... pretty sure he meant that 12 minutes of Bonner is too much for one season. He needs some rest.

spursistan
03-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Damn Kerr not resting anyone vs Philly at home :lmao...going at dat point differential championship :cry

spursistan
03-27-2016, 07:25 PM
the worst thing you do to a defense-first team is to relax their asses at this point of the year..The intensity, effort, and attention to details has to be at near peak levels going to post-season..I'm OK with no- B2B rule for guys like TD/TP/Manu for the rest of season, but niggas who are going to be logging major minutes like Green/Aldridge/Kawhi has be kept sharp and engaged..

GSH
03-27-2016, 08:29 PM
the worst thing you do to a defense-first team is to relax their asses at this point of the year

I wonder. In the entire world, how many people really know what it takes to coach a defense-first NBA team? The odds against having one of them right here seem astronomical.

Splits
03-27-2016, 08:36 PM
The next 9 games which have absolutely no meaning should be interesting...

:reading

Ice009
03-27-2016, 09:51 PM

As I said weeks ago, I always have the opinion that everyone should play if they're not legitimately injured, but limit their minutes instead of outright sitting them if they need rest.

Special circumstances like Tim and Manu due to their age and mileage, I'm OK with them getting full games off. Younger players like Parker and Boris, well, I don't think I can support resting them if they're playing for their national teams and are too tired. That's on them IMO. Get in better shape, or don't play for your national teams. It's that simple. You're getting paid a shitload to perform for your team. Personally, I would probably put my NBA team ahead of my national team if I felt like it would drop my performance too much during the NBA season.

Ever since I read that Tim Grover article month or so ago, it's made me stick to my stance even more. That was always my stance to begin with - Limit minutes during games. Young players shouldn't be getting rested much at all, because how will they ever learn to mentally push through fatigue and still perform if they're always getting rested?

K...
03-27-2016, 10:56 PM
It's bout about rest. It's about travel. No body likes flying. Jeez.

SAGirl
03-27-2016, 11:18 PM
Too much ado about nothing.
It might be the last real assessment and look at some guys who could possibly not play much in the postseason and you either have to resign or let go and who knows in the summer? Even possible trades if we loose Tim and or Manu to retirement. Final exams for some guys so to speak and frankly the 4th wing situation is now less clear than its ever been. I am not sure Martin has moved up the rotation or made a good case for himself either.

En Fuego
03-27-2016, 11:57 PM
5 championships in 19 years...

Hoops Czar
03-28-2016, 12:13 AM
LOL... pretty sure he meant that 12 minutes of Bonner is too much for one season. He needs some rest.

Hoops Czar
03-28-2016, 12:32 AM
Too much ado about nothing.
It might be the last real assessment and look at some guys who could possibly not play much in the postseason and you either have to resign or let go and who knows in the summer? Even possible trades if we loose Tim and or Manu to retirement. Final exams for some guys so to speak and frankly the 4th wing situation is now less clear than its ever been. I am not sure Martin has moved up the rotation or made a good case for himself either.

If that's true, where does that leave players like Diaw and Green who both looked miserable but, are still postseason locks? I didn't see any stand outs from yesterday's performance. Then again, how could Pop or anybody for that matter take the game seriously when 4/5ths of your starting rotation is sitting out and 4/5ths of the bench is starting? Players like Kyle Anderson and Kevin Martin need to play within their roles with the veterans and leaders on the floor rather than playing alongside a bunch of 3rd string practice squad players. Do you really think Kevin Martin is going to be called upon to shoot 9 three's in a game? :lol Danny Green was one of the worst players on the floor but I can't help but to think that maybe it had something to with the players on the floor rather than Danny being a complete scrub.

SAGirl
03-28-2016, 01:10 AM
If that's true, where does that leave players like Diaw and Green who both looked miserable but, are still postseason locks? I didn't see any stand outs from yesterday's performance. Then again, how could Pop or anybody for that matter take the game seriously when 4/5ths of your starting rotation is sitting out and 4/5ths of the bench is starting? Players like Kyle Anderson and Kevin Martin need to play within their roles with the veterans and leaders on the floor rather than playing alongside a bunch of 3rd string practice squad players. Do you really think Kevin Martin is going to be called upon to shoot 9 three's in a game? :lol Danny Green was one of the worst players on the floor but I can't help but to think that maybe it had something to with the players on the floor rather than Danny being a complete scrub.
Guys were definitely out of their comfort zone but that is how Pop develops players/bench be they young or old. He was actively coaching and engaged this one not like the beat down we got from GSW in January. I do believe he saw some things. The guys who have made it Nd t he team relies on like those two are supposed to bring it on a nightly basis. There was a level of coasting from those two at times. But really the test is for the others, the question marks who don't have an established role and who are either still developing like the trio oF Simmons/Boban/Kyle then Martin/Miller who although vets Pop will want to evaluate in level of play and fit.

kobyz
03-28-2016, 01:12 AM
5 championships in 19 years...

Very underachiever...

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-28-2016, 02:22 AM
This whole thread reeks of blue font. Unsurprisingly though, certain posters have showed up :lmao

YGWHI
03-28-2016, 02:36 PM

Well, OKC game was a road game.

But it's likely he'll rest Kawhi or LMA in the last two home games too... Spurs fans are the guys who buy AT&T tickets, jerseys, but the coach gives a shit about them.
People should learn a lesson and not buy tickets for the last 5 games of the season anymore, RC/Pop would love to see the empty seats...

Also, it's not a great idea to get Kawhi/Big 3 rusty once the playoffs start...Not sure why Pop likes to take his players out of rhythm.

look_at_g_shred
03-28-2016, 03:23 PM
I hear Minnesota needs a bigger fan base. Why don't you join them, and I'll stay here and stick it out for this worthless team.

philldafunk
03-28-2016, 06:27 PM
So does that mean that we're gonna rest people for the last home game too?

spursistan
03-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Wonder how Pop will manage the roster against the decimated Pelicans on Wed...We have a couple days rest after it (Sat. vs Raptors)..I would only hold out Kiwi if he still hasn't recovered fully.. but i don't think 8-days rest for Big 3 is good at thing at this point..just have them out there for 15-20 MPG...

SAGirl
03-29-2016, 12:25 PM
I suspect these last games we witnessed were a test for the bench. He really got to see the entirety of his bench in tough, difficult situations, on the road, etc. And he has a better sense for who is ready to play and in what situations or matches to use his situational players and he gave them each sufficient time. He might have done that to end the season, but I think with Kawhi' s injury, he decided to rest the old guys ahead of schedule.

I think as soon as Kawhi is ready to go, he will start to get his relation players in rhythm.

jjktkk
03-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Said this before long ago, I don't like the resting thing. Limit minutes, but sitting out multiple games kills team rhythm. A random game throughout the season here or there is fine (I still don't even like that), but this sitting half the team down is stupid. For young guys, its not necessary. it's something that should be reserved only for guys 35 and older.

It's Pop's I'm smarter than you I micro manage everything on this team I haven't gotten over myself...self. That's why he's an ass to local reporters so he doesn't have to answer for anything.He doesn't have to answer for anything, because he wins. It would be totally different if he didn't.

spursistan
03-29-2016, 03:03 PM

"sit you ass down Big 3+ Kawhi" :pop:..no games for another 4 days..

SAGirl
03-29-2016, 05:36 PM

"sit you ass down Big 3+ Kawhi" :pop:..no games for another 4 days..
Indeed. Playing through nagging injuries and booboos is what complicates matters from a bump and a bruise, to a nagging compounded problem when your body compensates to protect itself from an injury by tweaking something else... This on healthy young men, not even talking about 30-35+ yr. olds.

Sean Cagney
03-29-2016, 06:31 PM
Very underachiever...

Compared to? Not many teams are on that kind of a run nowadays. LA has 5 since then but otherwise? Heat have three.

Mel_13
03-29-2016, 06:41 PM
OKC resting 26 year old Ibaka and 27 year old Durant tonight.

Blake
03-29-2016, 07:12 PM
I agree with you. It was an interesting game regardless. IMO if we had another big but Bonner it wouldn't have been a blowout. It was a loss anyways, but the game got away from us when Bonner got in at the end of the 2nd Q, start of the 3rd. His lack of defense, rebounding, boxing out and in general contributing anything positive was a downfall but that is nothing new.

The new guys were Anderson, Boban, Simmons and Martin and Pop learned from each and the first 3 rarely compete against elite teams like this. The fact they didn't hang with them is no surprise but you hope they can build up from success or failure. They don't get chances like this regularly.

I though if Boban had a good game we would have a chance to make it a game and I stated that hours b4 the game. He didn't. Adams played him defensively better than any big he's seen in the league. He's strong enough to not be backed down by Boban, boxed Boban out of the way, didn't let him get good post position for high low passes, etc. Made Boban look human, not like the demigod he's in garbage time. You don't learn that if you are just playing Boban in garbage time and how much is Boban worth to us next season$$? Can't tell if you don't put him in this kind of position. It's possible Pop learned a lot about Boban from this one.

There were things to be learned about the wings too. Obviously Simmons and Anderson being the newbies they are and Anderson being a youngster still developing his game, any opportunities you can give them against really good competition they can benefit from anyways, on both ends, and they still have a lot of chemistry together. Whether that is bc their games complement each other well, they are comfortable playing with each other having developed together or what? I don't know. That is how young cores develop everywhere else in the league. They go through struggles together, work behind close doors, get better. They just did that in the dleague, SL and staggered this season, not night in and night out like other teams, not even like Danny and Kawhi did. Given that, they still play well together. They look for each other in games and we really haven't seen them together much. They have been split up most of the time. Either one or the other is in the game etc. That maybe is not of much use to us to know right now, but it is for Pop this off-season, when he has to restructure the bench.

Pop can consider things like whether he needs a veteran wing next season if Manu retires, or if he can trust in the continued improvement of these two. I think in their case, the whole package of the two of them together is better than the individual parts. They were much more tame when they were split up, maybe lack of chemistry with others, but I think not. They fit together in their own way.

Is Martin a fit for the team long term if we don't get Manu back? I though possibly previously, but after this game, maybe not. He's not a better fit next to either Simmons or Anderson than these two are together and with possibly Bertans coming over as a designated shooter we probably don't need his skills next season.

It was an I interesting game from that point of view. Pop learned from OKC, but also from his guys.

All the Popsuckers that scoffed and tried to ridicule me when I said that Pop is still the biggest obstacle to the Spurs winning a title....

what is the reasoning now?
Where is the Coach of the year?

Bonner still the first "big" off the bench...

McRoberts posterizing Bonner....Pop pulls Bonner...Pop puts Bonner right back in...GENIUS!

No One on the Spurs with any desire...any fire...any balls...and Coach Pop didn't change anything...just kept the same rotation...the same everything....

This is what the Playoffs have in store...and this is exactly what happened last season...

Pop has not been able to "find time" to try and integrate his only two players approaching 7 feet....this is the NBA where being tall is something that can't be taught...on top of that Boban is not just some "serviceable' "blue collar" role player...he can actually be an asset by his mere presence on the court with his vision, passing, and basketball IQ...but fuckhead coach has pissed away the season....

This seasons playoffs are just about here and fuckhead coach is right on cue to get embarrassed again....

Blake
03-29-2016, 07:13 PM
OKC resting 26 year old Ibaka and 27 year old Durant tonight.

Why does it seem to me like Ibaka is 36

maverick1948
03-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Talked to Charles (Vice Pres of Basketball Ops) who said "Not a F'ing chance Pop gets fired. So there you have it from the boss.

cutewizard
03-30-2016, 07:34 AM
Rodman could coach the Spurs!!! hahahahahahahahahaha

omg

GSH
03-30-2016, 07:57 AM
All the Popsuckers that scoffed and tried to ridicule me when I said that Pop is still the biggest obstacle to the Spurs winning a title....

what is the reasoning now?
Where is the Coach of the year?

Bonner still the first "big" off the bench...

No One on the Spurs with any desire...any fire...any balls...and Coach Pop didn't change anything...just kept the same rotation...the same everything....

This seasons playoffs are just about here and fuckhead coach is right on cue to get embarrassed again....

https://media.giphy.com/media/R6wRC08hhDNew/giphy.gif

YGWHI
03-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Just imagine Pop resting Jordan in his prime, Shaq and Kobe in Lakers Showtime Era, sitting them remaining a whole quarter in the game... Or sitting Curry/Thompson/Green and not giving a shit about the record...

Pop couldn't handle it in other markets like LA, Boston, Chicago...He couldn't survive GMs/endorsements/media pressure.

When people here talk shit about Phil, they should at least recognize he was successful where Pop not.

I hear Minnesota needs a bigger fan base. Why don't you join them, and I'll stay here and stick it out for this worthless team.

Who? OP?

I hear KAT is the real deal but nah...he isn't Tim Duncan.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-30-2016, 02:56 PM
No problem with the way poop sits the big 3. No problem with even giving Kawhi, lame, Green types rest. Problem, wit poops rest strategy is it runs parallel to leaving drafted players abroad, in the name of playing time. Mills, Diaw, West are fine. Anderson, Simmons, Boban are too rare. Poop blows perfectly good experimental time on martins, millers, bonners, butlers. Call it proven commodity all you want. It's trash, compared to what could be run instead. Players that could build trade value, or blossom into long term commodity.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Very underachiever...

Bingo

DrunkTXLabrat
03-30-2016, 03:02 PM

Also bingo, well the first half. The second half, yuck.

J_Paco
03-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Some folks in this fanbase truly spoiled and completely delusional. As if any other coach, including Phil Jackson, Pat Riley and Red Auerbach (all big market coaches, people), could possibly squeezed this much success and good fortune outo this group.

spursistan
03-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Expected the long rest got the team out of wack....just stop with this bullshit and start prepping for playoffs...i hate to lose Game 1 at home because we coasted our asses to it..

SAGirl
03-30-2016, 10:08 PM
No problem with the way poop sits the big 3. No problem with even giving Kawhi, lame, Green types rest. Problem, wit poops rest strategy is it runs parallel to leaving drafted players abroad, in the name of playing time. Mills, Diaw, West are fine. Anderson, Simmons, Boban are too rare. Poop blows perfectly good experimental time on martins, millers, bonners, butlers. Call it proven commodity all you want. It's trash, compared to what could be run instead. Players that could build trade value, or blossom into long term commodity.
+ 1
I hope we get someone in the draft this summer or a prospect from overseas like Bertans next season.

YGWHI
03-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Some folks in this fanbase truly spoiled and completely delusional. As if any other coach, including Phil Jackson, Pat Riley and Red Auerbach (all big market coaches, people), could possibly squeezed this much success and good fortune outo this group.

Like Jackson, Riley and Auerbach couldn't play a generational talent like Tim Duncan in his prime...

UZER
03-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Pop likes to rest players in the playoffs too. He rested Duncan in game 6 against the Heat.

YGWHI
03-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Pop likes to rest players in the playoffs too. He rested Duncan in game 6 against the Heat.

Pop's late-game decisions were awful in last seasons but some people don't want to admit it.

GSH
03-30-2016, 10:42 PM

He rested Tony, Danny, Manu, and Tiago in the series against the Clippers last year.

J_Paco
03-30-2016, 11:36 PM

Like Jackson, Riley and Auerbach couldn't play a generational talent like Tim Duncan in his prime...

It isn't just about Tim Duncan, dumbass. He's cultivated and maintained a culture of winning without a big market or deep pockets to back him up. Popovich, as much as Duncan, is responsible for all the winning and success of the last 19 seasons and counting. Auerbach, Jackson and Riley had big markets and deep - pocketed ownership to help them surround their generational talent with help. Parker and Ginobili became HOF quality players out of simingly nowhere, while Robinson was already here when Duncan/Popovich arrived and Kawhi has been an revelation built through hard work and a great development staff.

YGWHI
03-30-2016, 11:49 PM
Popovich, as much as Duncan, is responsible for all the winning and success of the last 19 seasons and counting.

Tim Duncan deserves the bulk of the credit for Spurs success. I wonder if Pop could have built a winning franchise without him... But I can see Tim playing for Phil, Riley or Auerbach and winning at least 3 rings.

GSH
03-30-2016, 11:56 PM
Tim Duncan deserves the bulk of the credit for Spurs success. I wonder if Pop could have built a winning franchise without him... But I can see Tim playing for Phil, Riley or Auerbach and winning at least 3 rings.

He doesn't get a ring in 13-14, nor come within a few seconds the year before, under any of those other coaches, because they would have worn him out. I don't think any other coach would have started trimming Tim's minutes down as early as Pop did. That alone got Tim another ring, and potentially a shot at two more.

Neurosis
03-31-2016, 12:17 AM
It's hard to make the argument that Riley/Jackson would have been better for sure. With TD leading the way, we won 4 rings over 8 years with Pop as coach. It's a big call to say that Riley/Jackson could have led us to more than that. After 2007 we started to feel the effects of injuries and ongoing personnel issues (hello Dick Jeff) and it wasn't until we drafted Kawhi that things started to turn around. I don't think any other coach could have set up the kind of system that's let the Spurs continue to be a dominant force in basketball almost two decades from when TD first entered the league - and I don't see the point in trying to argue that we would have won more rings in the prime years (99-2007) - maybe we would, maybe we wouldn't but the fact is that 4 rings in 8 seasons is nothing to complain about. Basically no other team has managed to keep that kind of longevity.

The only other team that comes close is the Lakers, winning 5 rings in 11 years. But there was a huge transitional period where they really, really sucked for a long time until deliverance came in the form of Pau Gasol - and just look where they are Post-Pau. They didn't build a culture of continued dominance like we've had in San Antonio. Pop is the only coach in history to have turned a small-market team into the most successful franchise in modern sports history for 19 years, and STILL showing no signs of slowing down.

Say what you want and bitch all you can about Pop's fuckups at"this minute of this game" but you're a total moron if you think Pop's not a top3 coach of all time and that finding a replacement that could fill his shoes or give us the success that he's given us is incredibly unlikely. Fuck the Pop haters. Top3 coach all time guaranteed, possible best pending this season's results imo.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-31-2016, 12:25 AM
He rested Tony, Danny, Manu, and Tiago in the series against the Clippers last year.
Shitter was awful. Deandre made him his bitch in game 1 and he never went back to him.

Benoit
03-31-2016, 12:27 AM
Theres no titles in San Antonio without Pop

Every other fanbase would kill to have him coach their team

His system has turned bad players into starters, decent players into stars and good players into great players

UNT Eagles 2016
03-31-2016, 12:27 AM

His system has turned bad players into starters, decent players into stars and good players into great players
:tu

YGWHI
03-31-2016, 12:47 AM
He doesn't get a ring in 13-14, nor come within a few seconds the year before, under any of those other coaches, because they would have worn him out. I don't think any other coach would have started trimming Tim's minutes down as early as Pop did. That alone got Tim another ring, and potentially a shot at two more.

Maybe. Or Tim could have won more rings in his prime, at least one "repeat" playing for those coaches. Who knows...

YGWHI
03-31-2016, 12:57 AM

So you're a supposed Warriors fan who shows love for Pop and Parker but talk shit about Kawhi and Green...You sound too much like a Cat Lover Meowing.

jeebus
02-12-2017, 08:57 PM

vander
02-12-2017, 09:01 PM
he was supposed to retire with Duncan :depressed