View Full Version : 2016 Draft Prospect: Wade Baldwin

Chinook
03-26-2016, 11:40 PM
http://content.draftexpress.com/headshots/wadebaldwin.jpg

Height: 6-3
Weight: 195 lbs
Date of Birth: 03/29/1996
School: Vanderbilt

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Wade-Baldwin-82826/)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/wade-baldwin)

Drom John
04-13-2016, 02:08 PM
New #29 at NBADraft, 13 April 2016.

Drom John
04-15-2016, 02:15 PM
#29 Chris Rolling, Bleacher Report, 15 April 2016.

Drom John
04-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Still #29 at NBADraft, 17 April 2016.

Drom John
05-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Today's Fastbreak by Ben Stram, 6 May 2016

29. San Antonio Spurs – Wade Baldwin 6-3 195 PG/SG Vanderbilt Sophomore

Tony Parker isn’t getting any younger, so Baldwin would be a nice find at this point. Baldwin fits the mold of a George Hill-type at the end of the first round, an exceptionally long combo guard with three-point touch. If Baldwin can turn into even a shell of what Hill has developed into, this is a great pick for the Spurs.

jesterbobman
05-06-2016, 03:33 PM
I would do backflips if Baldwin went to the Spurs.

south side spur
05-07-2016, 04:41 PM
He can also get sloppy with a handle that all too frequently is high and off balance, which both limits his ability to turn the corner, but also makes him prone to being stripped of the ball more often he ideally would, and overall his 3.6 turnovers per 40 minutes, pace adjusted, is the second worst mark among point guards in our top-100 rankings, are a clear area in need of improvement.

Is this an accurate scouting report from draftexpress? I can't see the Spurs with a point guard who can't dribble. Also, I don't understand how his comparison can be George Hill who has a good handle.

Drom John
05-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Bleacher Report: NBA Mock Draft 2016: Projections for Top Point Guard Prospects, 14 May 2016

29. San Antonio Spurs PG Wade Baldwin IV, Vanderbilt

objective
05-15-2016, 06:57 PM
He reminds me some of Anthony Johnson, with those long arms and big ol' ass. While Johnson had a very long career, mostly as a backup and that would be a livable result of a late first round pick ... I don't really like Baldwin from the limited video out there of him.

Drom John
05-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Bleacher Report: NBA Draft 2016: 1st-Round Mock Draft, Prospects' Pre-Lottery Landing Spots
By Chris Roling , Featured Columnist May 16, 2016

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 07:11 PM
A PG that can't really handle the ball? No thanks.

lmbebo
05-17-2016, 09:52 AM
He seems like a combo guard off of the bench with length and strength to guard PG/SG. Maybe a Randy Foye type of player?

I'm going off reports, have not seen him play. But wouldn't be upset with him as a spurs pick. Doesn't solve TP/PG issue, but maybe can work to be a solid bench guard.

Snaq O'Meal
05-18-2016, 02:44 AM
Let’s get the ugly out of the way first and address Baldwin’s “character issues.” After beating Tennessee in late February of 2015, Baldwin was seen clapping in the face of one of Tennessee’s players. The move incited Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings to — uncharacteristically — profanely yell at Baldwin. The two made up, though,...

Source: https://thesixersense.com/2016/04/26/nba-draft-high-upside-wade-baldwin-iv-fit-philadelphia-76ers/

Reminds me of this...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5099/5521803298_679546ec8e.jpg

Captivus
05-19-2016, 07:14 AM
Whats the deal with this kid?

Bleacherreport has him at #10
Draftexpress at #17
NbaDraft at #35

Drom John
05-19-2016, 10:26 AM
ONMYSPORT: NBA Draft Order 2016: Fresh Mock Draft After Lottery Results
Posted on May 18, 2016 by Staff in Basketball

Drom John
05-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Bleacher Report: NBA Mock Draft 2016: Projections and Predictions for Top Point Guard Prospects
By Chris Roling , Featured Columnist May 23, 2016
Same pick but with substantial write up on the PGs.

Wade Baldwin IV, Vanderbilt
Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
Another physical prospect with intriguing upside, Wade Baldwin IV spent two years at Vanderbilt, exploding over his sophomore campaign with 14.1 points and 5.2 assists per game.

Baldwin is a polarizing prospect, though, in large part because he's 6'4" and 202 pounds and can struggle with a mid-range jumper at times. He's also not shy about what he wants to do upon arrival in the Association.

"I'm trying to be Russell Westbrook with a pinch of a higher basketball IQ," Baldwin said, according to an ESPN.com scouting report.

The report went on to detail how Baldwin isn't out of line, either:

And believe it or not, according to the combine numbers he's there. Not only did Baldwin measure slightly taller and with a much longer wingspan (6-foot-11½ compared to Westbrook's 6-foot-7¾), but he actually tested better on the vertical (32-inch standing and 38-inch max, compared to a 30-inch standing and 36½-inch max for Westbrook) and in every other test besides the three-quarter-court sprint.

As a coveted, intriguing prospect in a class that is deep at other spots, chances are strong Baldwin takes a bit of a tumble, especially when one recalls how many talented guards like Rondo are set to hit the market.

That sets up a rich-get-richer scenario with the San Antonio Spurs. With Tony Parker aging (34), the Spurs wouldn't mind grabbing a high-upside prospect and coaching him up with a veteran core showing him the way.

Prediction: Baldwin lands with Spurs at No. 29

objective
06-01-2016, 01:16 PM
DX has moved him to #10 in their June 1 mock. Might be one of those guys who is never close to spurs range after rising like Elfrid Payton

MaNu4Tres
06-14-2016, 06:56 PM
Love if SA can trade up to get him.

DPG21920
06-14-2016, 07:11 PM
I don't understand this guy rising?? Aren't his handles pretty bleh? That's big deal for a prospects ceiling IMO.

MaNu4Tres
06-14-2016, 07:44 PM
I don't understand this guy rising?? Aren't his handles pretty bleh? That's big deal for a prospects ceiling IMO.

Great size, great in open court -- best defensive PG in draft, has elite foot speed and length (6'11" wing span) for the PG position. Handles are okay for a point guard, nothing great like you mentioned. That being said, there's a lot to like and his handles can always improve and if they do ... could be a top 5 player in this draft when we look back 5 years from now.

George Hill with a higher ceiling ( better athlete, better finisher and even better defender).

DPG21920
06-14-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm just nervous about guys projecting to be PGs that aren't really good ball handlers. It can be improved but it seems difficult. There are so many guards with "decent" handles that just never make the jump. He looks like a good prospect obviously but I am talking strictly PG potential.

Lol at his Westbrook comment.

SAGirl
06-14-2016, 07:57 PM
He doesn't seem like a true PG prospect, more like a combo guard to me. The reason is that his best shooting numbers are off the catch and shoot variety, not off the dribble. He struggled off the dribble apparently, both shooting the midrange and trying to get into the paint.

His best potential and upside comes from size, length and defensive versatility.

I haven't seen him play either, but the reports are that as a playmaker struggles with his handle and turning a corner bc he doesn't have the explosive first step, and he doesn't have hesitations, changes of speed or direction to compensate for it. hmm I guess the comparison to George Hill is on point.

Considering he's young still, he'd take a couple of years to develop, with the one advantage that he could defend and play off the ball maybe earlier than you'd be giving him the ball as a coach. The downside is that if you don't let him learn to play with the ball, he'll never learn it.

I would expect a lot of dleague for him his first couple of seasons. It doesn't mean he's not a worthy prospect, but I definitely don't see why he's projected in the lottery.

But then again George Hill has a market.

DPG21920
06-14-2016, 07:58 PM
He's freaking all over the map but most seem to have him inside of the top 20. Will be very interesting to see where he goes. He surely doesn't seem to lack for confidence.

Lot's of talk of the Bulls giving him a promise at 14.

SAGirl
06-14-2016, 08:06 PM
He's freaking all over the map but most seem to have him inside of the top 20. Will be very interesting to see where he goes. He surely doesn't seem to lack for confidence.

Lot's of talk of the Bulls giving him a promise at 14.
Would fit nicely with Jimmy Butler who wants to handle the ball a lot, now that you mention it.