PDA

View Full Version : Is Duncan Done?

coachmac87
03-27-2016, 10:36 AM
It seems we always ask ourselves this question this time of year for it seems the past 2-3 years..But have the wheels fallen off? Or do we determine that this postseason?

IMO I don't think he's done. His role THIS year has completely changed..he pretty much is playing the 03' Robinson role (defense/rebounding). Now it's something that we arent really accustomed to and his offensive production took a fall because of LA. But IMO he's still the most important player out of the "Big 3". Yeah he may not be as useful against the Warriors but he will certainly be needed against OKC, LAC or Cavs..

And like I have stated in the past his "knee" was more precautionary more than anything..so I don't think that plays into his decision. But what if we win 6? Does he call it quits? Or help with a chance of repeating??

Thoughts?

dbreiden83080
03-27-2016, 10:37 AM
He should make this year his last IMO. Will turn 40 very shortly and his role has diminished enough that it's time to go IMO. What a ride.

TheGreatYacht
03-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Nope

Kool Bob Love
03-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Nope
/thread

K...
03-27-2016, 10:46 AM
No, with two knee braces he's twice as powerful. Idiot. Casual fan. Cat lover.

Jokes aside this was a back to back game where pop pulled the whole team. We won't know if Duncan is done until the playoffs. It might just be a coincidence that Duncan's decline coincides the arrival of the best big man since Robinson and the maturing of kawhi. So maybe Duncan is pulling a Boris and the rest Is precautionary. Yes, evidence says Duncan can barely move and smart players will exploit that. But we know nothing about his actual pain and inflammation. We've been wrong before.

Thomas82
03-27-2016, 10:52 AM
He is nowhere near done.

Neurosis
03-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Maybe. Hope not. He'll tough it out for the playoffs I'm sure.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Offensively more of less yes - he relies strongly on others feeding him, but defensively he's still a great rim protector. Top 5 in the NBA this season.

houston spurs fan
03-27-2016, 11:12 AM
He'll play one more year and then hang it up in my opinion

ajh18
03-27-2016, 11:16 AM
There is no one that can replace what Duncan brings to the team at his price tag. No one.

And he's still a great defensive big, good for a bucket when needed, and the leader of the team. Spurs fans should hope Duncan stays as long as he wants.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-27-2016, 11:28 AM
He should make this year his last IMO. Will turn 40 very shortly and his role has diminished enough that it's time to go IMO. What a ride.

You are a fukin moron, he is most likely going to come back another year. Why should he make this his last year? His mere presence on the team keeps us at contender status. Some of yall are so dumb.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-27-2016, 11:29 AM
There is no one that can replace what Duncan brings to the team at his price tag. No one.

And he's still a great defensive big, good for a bucket when needed, and the leader of the team. Spurs fans should hope Duncan stays as long as he wants.

This

Leetonidas
03-27-2016, 11:37 AM
He is a very smart player. He may be less mobile and there are matchups he won't be able to play against during the postseason but advanced stats and the eye test point to him being a very good defensive player even still

Relevancy
03-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Obviously not a spurs fan but from the matches I've seen from him he is done in terms of athleticism, but I remember that Bulls game when he went up against Gasol, you could see the fire in his eyes and how badly he wanted to go up against him

his heart/mind is still in the game not his body not anymore

Spur|n|Austin
03-27-2016, 11:56 AM
If Spurs ring this year, I could see him heading off into the sunset. If not, hopefully he'll be back for one more shot.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Obviously not a spurs fan but from the matches I've seen from him he is done in terms of athleticism, but I remember that Bulls game when he went up against Gasol, you could see the fire in his eyes and how badly he wanted to go up against him

his heart/mind is still in the game not his body not anymore

Please stop posting, you are only embarrassing yourself.

TDomination
03-27-2016, 12:07 PM
He's done when he announces his retirement

Relevancy
03-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Please stop posting, you are only embarrassing yourself.:cryplz don't tell me the truth I don't wanna hear it!

having a guy like Duncan is still valuable though, he brings experience and hunger for your team, despite his age.

Spurtacular
03-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Duncan wants back to back; all I'm saying.

skulls138
03-27-2016, 12:18 PM

his heart/mind is still in the game not his body not anymoreObviously his body aint what it used to be and so hes saving everything for post season. Youre right he did show some fire. After he came back from injury he showed some brilliance but Pop wants him to hold that brilliance til the playoffs. I think TD is going to be a major contributor in playoffs. Havent checked his stats but hes still great defensively and think his assists have been higher than theyve ever been.

Duncan has THE best b-ball IQ in league which compensates for much of his physical abilities

Russ
03-27-2016, 12:24 PM
He's playing possum.

Obstructed_View
03-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Dude is less than a week removed from a 16 point, 10 rebound, 4 block game. smh

Spurs 4 The Win
03-27-2016, 12:37 PM
:cryplz don't tell me the truth I don't wanna hear it!

having a guy like Duncan is still valuable though, he brings experience and hunger for your team, despite his age.

He looked pretty athletic raping DeAndre last year

coachmac87
03-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Dude is less than a week removed from a 16 point, 10 rebound, 4 block game. smh

Agreed.

soxxx
03-27-2016, 01:18 PM
He looked pretty athletic raping DeAndre last year
This, when it was time to play last year he did.

spursistan
03-27-2016, 01:28 PM
thought this a good topic for a shitty podcast..o wait..

coachmac87
03-27-2016, 01:39 PM
thought this a good topic for a shitty podcast..o wait..

Easy now. I never said Duncan was done...I actually said I don't think he is.

But I've see people on this forum say otherwise..

lmbebo
03-27-2016, 01:39 PM
I think this is his last year. He's stil a very good defender. But father time catches everyone. Last year probably would have been his last if LMA hadn't signed.

Obstructed_View
03-27-2016, 01:52 PM
I remember the same threads in 2011.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-27-2016, 01:59 PM
I remember the same threads in 2011.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2016, 02:00 PM
It's Tim, he is going to have games in the playoffs that are vintage and show that man is still not DONE.

Horse
03-27-2016, 02:12 PM
There will still be a playoff game he gets that look in his eyes and wins it for us.

DMC
03-27-2016, 02:21 PM
If he plays another year it will surprise me. He never struck me as the type to linger around where he's ineffective. I'd think he'd want to move on. He's been getting involved with coaching, so I think he'll want to be an assistant coach and maybe a head coach one day, who knows.

Benoit
03-27-2016, 02:23 PM
He is beyond finished as a key player

He's more of a leadership and coaching type right now

I feel sad watching him play the same way I feel when I watch KG. The difference is that Pops system hides some of it

coachmac87
03-27-2016, 02:24 PM
We all know he said when the "wheels fall off"...but he's clearly one of the best defensive bigs in the game..at 40 lol

DMC
03-27-2016, 02:25 PM
We all know he said when the "wheels fall off"...but he's clearly one of the best defensive bigs in the game..at 40 lol

Says as much about the game as about Tim. There's not much defense left in the bigs these days with guys stepping out trying to contest 3s and such.

KL2
03-27-2016, 02:35 PM
He's not getting any lift at all when jumping, just about looks done. He'll step it up in the playoffs, but probably not by much, just glad we're not playing the Clippers, I do wonder how he fits against GS though, don't know if he is playable.

spurs10
03-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Tim isn't done at all. We didn't need him against small ball Dubs. We will if Bogut plays.

wildbill2u
03-27-2016, 03:58 PM
Things I hate to see:
1. Defenders frequently able to swipe at the ball and knock it loose from Duncan.
2. When he loses the ball, either through mishandling a pass in traffic or from a defensive swipe, he simply can't get control of it again, stumbling and fumbling around for the loose ball on the floor. Just not flexible enough any longer.

He is still a smart player and at times with certain matchups can be very effective. Relish those moments, my friends, because he will be gone too soon and such a rare talent may not come out way again.

SupremeGuy
03-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Playoff Tim Duncan is still one of the best things about being a Spurs fan.

MVPCues
03-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Is he done like Bonner is done? No. Is this his last year? IMO, yes. Maybe not if they don't ring and he wants one more shot at it.

Only Timmy knows if the tires have fallen off, but sometimes they look wobbly. Anyone with sense knows he will step it up in the playoffs and have some strong games. He's not "done", but he might be done with his career after this year.

Ice009
03-27-2016, 09:37 PM
I think if he could play 21 seasons, then that would be incredible for number 21.

I think this team's core is great with Kawhi and LMA, so if Tim still wants to play, he should do it as I still appreciate everything he does on the defensive end. Even if he can't do as much on offense, I still want his defense as I'm always defense first. And if we could win 1 or 2 more championships that would be amazing. Those are my dreams for TD anyway. 21 seasons and 6 or 7 rings. Not asking for much, am I?

weeks
03-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Maybe .
But I remember his last playoffs against the clips. Had a monster series and an incredible game seven. Clutch as fk with them free throws

Sooner rather than later it comes .But not yet .Not today.

coachmac87
03-27-2016, 10:06 PM
I think if he could play 21 seasons, then that would be incredible for number 21.

I think this team's core is great with Kawhi and LMA, so if Tim still wants to play, he should do it as I still appreciate everything he does on the defensive end. Even if he can't do as much on offense, I still want his defense as I'm always defense first. And if we could win 1 or 2 more championships that would be amazing. Those are my dreams for TD anyway. 21 seasons and 6 or 7 rings. Not asking for much, am I?

I'd love to see that happen!! And I'd probably cry like a little bitch

dunkman
03-27-2016, 10:10 PM
The Spurs were conceding +100 points when Kawhi was out but still winning, when Duncan was out the Spurs were losing games.

GSH
03-27-2016, 10:15 PM
He sure doesn't look like the beast we saw in the playoffs against the Clippers last year. I can understand saying that he's been deferring on offense, and his Per36 rebounding isn't that much lower than last regular season. But he doesn't look like the player that held his own against Griffin and Jordan last Spring.

If he could play at exactly this level next season, then obviously he wouldn't be done. His presence in the middle is still very much an asset. If he were to fall off more between seasons? I think it would make me sad to see him come back.

I think the playoffs will tell us whether he still has more in the tank that he's been saving.

skulls138
03-27-2016, 11:04 PM
I remember the same threads in 2011.Bump

03-27-2016, 11:22 PM
Yes. Win or lose this is his last year.

gambit1990
03-27-2016, 11:27 PM
will play next season imo. hopefully manu comes back next year too...

SAGirl
03-27-2016, 11:47 PM
Is he done like Bonner is done? No. Is this his last year? IMO, yes. Maybe not if they don't ring and he wants one more shot at it.

Only Timmy knows if the tires have fallen off, but sometimes they look wobbly. Anyone with sense knows he will step it up in the playoffs and have some strong games. He's not "done", but he might be done with his career after this year.
This ^.
The question is he done has a negative connotation.
40 yrs old will start a faster and more dramatic decline on him than ages 35-39 and the league is changing. When LMA/Diaw/Kawhi is better against some teams and your role is defense/rebounding, it's a sign of the changing of the tide.
I think he can play if he wants to. Only he can say at what point he's done. I have though he's retiring often this season particularly bc his knees haven't been healthy and he's looked slower and with a more pronounced limp, + now he has the two braces.

Yet at the same time, he's hard to predict bc he's capable of accepting a reduced role. He might do one more season, but this one really really depends on how he's feeling physically after this one and how he does in the postseason. Maybe he's known all along what he's going to do already and keeping it to himself, but he seems like he definitely still wants to play.

Obstructed_View
03-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Waiting for a list of teams that wouldn't want a big who puts in 12 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks and a steal per 36 minutes while shooting 50 percent from the field. Also leads the league in defensive box plus minus, is second in defensive rating and is top 20 in win shares per 48.

SouthernFried
03-28-2016, 12:23 AM
Duncan was the best player on the court against the Clippers in just last seasons playoffs. He looks slower and stiffer now, but I wonder how much of that is just not playing as much. Once you allow yourself to slow down...your body gets used it and its harder to come back. Could he force himself to go one more time? Not if he doesn't have to. He's ready to retire. Might be able to bring it in this years playoffs...but, I don't see he'll have the drive and desire to go thru it again next year.

He's done his job. Gave us 5 rings...and set us up for the next generation of Spurs Basketball. Nobody could ask more of anyone.

Then again...that off season can get boring ;)

Obstructed_View
03-28-2016, 12:25 AM
He is beyond finished as a key player

He's more of a leadership and coaching type right now

I feel sad watching him play the same way I feel when I watch KG. The difference is that Pops system hides some of it

Fail.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_leaders.html

Duncan appearences: 7

KG appearances: 0

GSH
03-28-2016, 01:45 AM
Waiting for a list of teams that wouldn't want a big who puts in 12 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks and a steal per 36 minutes while shooting 50 percent from the field. Also leads the league in defensive box plus minus, is second in defensive rating and is top 20 in win shares per 48.

You're one of the few people left here that I would try to have a legit basketball discussion with. You understand that I'm not saying, "He's done." But I would hate to see him finish his career the way Hakeem did. So:

You don't think he looks like nearly the player he was at the end of last season, do you? Assuming you agree that he isn't, what would another year worth of similar fall-off look like? He would still be better than most of what passes for bigs in the league, but I don't think he'd be Timmy anymore. Do you see it differently?

Here's a few things your examples left out:

His Points/100 Possessions tied the lowest of his career last year, at 24.6. This season, his Points/100 has fallen to 17.4. That's a HUGE drop.
His FTA/100 Possessions was 7.1 last season. This season it has fallen to 4.2 - also a HUGE drop. FTA/100 is one measure of how dominant a big is, because he's forcing defenders to foul him. Tim isn't doing that nearly as much this season. It's much less than any other point in his career.

I'm surprised that his rebounding numbers (per-36 or per-100 possessions) don't look that much worse than last year. It feels like he isn't bringing them down the way he used to. But, he is down to below 25 minutes per game. I don't think he could keep it up for much more minutes per game, without those Per- numbers starting to suffer. I know you know that Per-36 can get really misleading with players getting short minutes. He still has strong nights, but in more than 1/3 of his games this season, he's had 5 or fewer rebounds - and in at least half of those (more I think) he's put in 20 minutes or more.

Like I said at the beginning, I would hate to see him end his career like Hakeem. He doesn't have to be "done" for it to be time for him to step down. While he's still Tim Duncan.

Dingle Barry
03-28-2016, 02:33 AM

Yep..this forum definitely buried Tim back in 2008. Understandably so, he looked like ass. Unfucking real that 8 years later he's still a major piece of the team, to say the least. What he did last playoffs was legendary. He didn't deserve to lose to the clips.

Dingle Barry
03-28-2016, 02:38 AM
He sure doesn't look like the beast we saw in the playoffs against the Clippers last year. I can understand saying that he's been deferring on offense, and his Per36 rebounding isn't that much lower than last regular season. But he doesn't look like the player that held his own against Griffin and Jordan last Spring.

If he could play at exactly this level next season, then obviously he wouldn't be done. His presence in the middle is still very much an asset. If he were to fall off more between seasons? I think it would make me sad to see him come back.

I think the playoffs will tell us whether he still has more in the tank that he's been saving.The thing is that he didn't look like that player last year either until the playoffs.

SAGirl
03-28-2016, 02:55 AM
The thing is that he didn't look like that player last year either until the playoffs.
He had a few dominant games though. The triple OT, some duels with LMA of all ppl. He had much better games than this season with less help with Bonner starting next to him, Baynes, Tiago injured down season, Kawhi injured. He played a lot more minutes with a worse cast and Tony having his worst season of his career and Kawhi not the MVP candidate he is this season.

He's starting to decline like GSH said and bc blue will be 40 this time there will be no bounce back. He's definitely defeated father time for a long time but it catches us all. It might be it this season. I am less sure about him than I am Manu, but it co u l d be it. He's had 0 rebound games and 0 field goals this season. It's very unusual and he hasn't exactly been consistently efficient in the paint. I am not calling for him to ret, but it will not surprise me.

Down Under
03-28-2016, 03:47 AM
He looked good until his knee injury so not sure how much he's pushing himself. Averaged 18/11 in playoffs last year so unless his knee has finally given in still has something in the tank.

MoSpur
03-28-2016, 05:22 AM
I think he is done. This should be his last year. He still rebounds well and protects the rim well, but overall I think he's done, which makes me very sad to admit.

Obstructed_View
03-28-2016, 05:45 AM
You're one of the few people left here that I would try to have a legit basketball discussion with. You understand that I'm not saying, "He's done." But I would hate to see him finish his career the way Hakeem did. So:

You don't think he looks like nearly the player he was at the end of last season, do you? Assuming you agree that he isn't, what would another year worth of similar fall-off look like? He would still be better than most of what passes for bigs in the league, but I don't think he'd be Timmy anymore. Do you see it differently?

Here's a few things your examples left out:

His Points/100 Possessions tied the lowest of his career last year, at 24.6. This season, his Points/100 has fallen to 17.4. That's a HUGE drop.
His FTA/100 Possessions was 7.1 last season. This season it has fallen to 4.2 - also a HUGE drop. FTA/100 is one measure of how dominant a big is, because he's forcing defenders to foul him. Tim isn't doing that nearly as much this season. It's much less than any other point in his career.

I'm surprised that his rebounding numbers (per-36 or per-100 possessions) don't look that much worse than last year. It feels like he isn't bringing them down the way he used to. But, he is down to below 25 minutes per game. I don't think he could keep it up for much more minutes per game, without those Per- numbers starting to suffer. I know you know that Per-36 can get really misleading with players getting short minutes. He still has strong nights, but in more than 1/3 of his games this season, he's had 5 or fewer rebounds - and in at least half of those (more I think) he's put in 20 minutes or more.

Like I said at the beginning, I would hate to see him end his career like Hakeem. He doesn't have to be "done" for it to be time for him to step down. While he's still Tim Duncan.

First of all, and I've said this before, I don't think going out like Hakeem would be bad. The worst player in the entire league is one of the best 500 basketball players on the planet. If I were fortunate enough to play in the NBA, I'd stay until I literally couldn't make a roster anymore. There's no shame in being too old to play a young man's game, and there damn sure are worse things than making between 2-5 million dollars to watch 82 NBA games from the bench. If he came back for league minimum next season I wouldn't have a problem with it. I fully expect Tim's career to end in the middle of the third quarter of some regular season game and his retirement announcement will be at his locker afterward.

I don't know how anyone could expect him to physically be the same player he was last year. Fortunately his game doesn't rely on a huge amount of speed or leaping ability. It's why I suggested he could play this long in a thread like this from several years back.

Timmy's given up on his own offense this year, and it makes sense to do it. There's simply no need to get beat up. There are other guys who can score, so his shot attempts are down. His assists are at an all-time high. He certainly hasn't given up anything on defense this year, as the defense has been fucking amazing. If he can give you 25 minutes of real difference-making defense in a playoff series then you'd be insane not to take it. You'd also be insane not to have a backup plan, so it's just as well that Pop is playing a lot of combinations.

It's a long season, there's nothing to play for, this is statistically the best team he's ever been on and this is almost certainly his last chance to be a factor in a deep playoff run, at which point he'll go out on his shield.

Tully365
03-28-2016, 06:31 AM
Easy now. I never said Duncan was done...I actually said I don't think he is.

But I've see people on this forum say otherwise..

Maybe you should've titled the thread "I don't think Duncan is done." That would've removed doubts that you were implying he was.

TrainOfThought5
03-28-2016, 06:54 AM
No, with two knee braces he's twice as powerful. Idiot. Casual fan. Cat lover.

Jokes aside this was a back to back game where pop pulled the whole team. We won't know if Duncan is done until the playoffs. It might just be a coincidence that Duncan's decline coincides the arrival of the best big man since Robinson and the maturing of kawhi. So maybe Duncan is pulling a Boris and the rest Is precautionary. Yes, evidence says Duncan can barely move and smart players will exploit that. But we know nothing about his actual pain and inflammation. We've been wrong before.

We've been wrong every single time since 2010.

GSH
03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
First of all, and I've said this before, I don't think going out like Hakeem would be bad. The worst player in the entire league is one of the best 500 basketball players on the planet. If I were fortunate enough to play in the NBA, I'd stay until I literally couldn't make a roster anymore. There's no shame in being too old to play a young man's game, and there damn sure are worse things than making between 2-5 million dollars to watch 82 NBA games from the bench. If he came back for league minimum next season I wouldn't have a problem with it. I fully expect Tim's career to end in the middle of the third quarter of some regular season game and his retirement announcement will be at his locker afterward.

Damn... a reasonable point of view, reasonably stated.

I went to UofH when Hakeem was there. My dad was a professor, so I got to meet him when they were showing him around the campus the first time, and talk with him from time to time while we were in school. So naturally I followed his career. For me, it was painful watching him come off the bench, and playing as sort of a shadow of his younger imposing presence. But I can't deny that I might feel differently if I was actually able to make an NBA roster. If he wants to lace them up and play a reduced/different role, I'm sure the team wants to have him there. Fans should be too.

I feel like he had a pretty big drop-off between seasons, though some of the numbers don't look that drastic. No, there's no shame in it - it's just a fact of life and aging. But it's still a fact. Part of my point was that if he has a similar drop-off between this season and the next, he really will be a much different player, with a much different role.

I guess being "done" is up to him and the team. But he's getting much closer to being done as the force of nature we've loved watching for so long. If you're a fan (and you clearly are) I think that's got to be a little tough to see. I know it is for me. I keep seeing him get beaten by guys who he once would have dominated. And I can't help it, I find myself thinking, "Yeah, there was a time when Timmy would have wiped that smug look off your face." But the tone of this thread sounds like he's some kind of bum, and that's just painfully stupid.

Thanks for taking the time to make a thoughtful reply. I like to actually see a basketball discussion every once in a while. Maybe you changed my mind a little bit. Just take some time for it to soak in.

skulls138
03-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Duncan was the best player on the court against the Clippers in just last seasons playoffs. He looks slower and stiffer now, but I wonder how much of that is just not playing as much. Once you allow yourself to slow down...your body gets used it and its harder to come back. I wonder if its that knee injury but if its just not playing him enough, Pops needs to get him playing regularly a good bit before the playoffs, not right at the playoffs, so everyone is used to one another.

ElNono
03-28-2016, 09:57 AM
'Done' is a relative term, tbh... he's still way better than Bogut, or young busts like Randle...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Overall, NO. Against a team like the Dubs who go small, yes. Duncan is no longer an every play/team situation player.

But he was done against teams like the Dubs a couple of seasons ago. remember when Pop benched him against the Dubs and the Spurs came back from like 10 down at GS in the playoffs. Duncan just doesn't have the legs for it. But the Dubs are not your everyday team.

coachmac87
03-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Maybe you should've titled the thread "I don't think Duncan is done." That would've removed doubts that you were implying he was.

I asked a question. And then I gave my 2 cents. And clearly stated I didn't think he was..

But I made thread because I've seen two sides of the argument on this forum.

T_L_P
03-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Yep..this forum definitely buried Tim back in 2008. Understandably so, he looked like ass. Unfucking real that 8 years later he's still a major piece of the team, to say the least. What he did last playoffs was legendary. He didn't deserve to lose to the clips.

I think it shows how spoilt Spurs fans are.

Duncan 'playing like ass' was a 19/11/3/3/ season with a 25 PER and over 10 Win Shares, and (iirc) he was top 10 in RAPM.

Then in the Playoffs 20/15/3.

We can't say Duncan's done until the Playoffs. He stepped up big time last year against the Clippers, who's to say he won't again?

YGWHI
03-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Not sure why people think he's done when his defensive numbers are the best in the league.

The contract of a PF/C with those stats would be too expensive, it's likely the Spurs couldn't afford to have that type of defensive big in their roster this season with LMA/Kawhi/Parker deals.

NameLess Scrub
03-28-2016, 01:44 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

that's duncan's scouting report out of high school

Funny thing, I looked up videos of him as a rookie a while ago, and he looked to me like he jumped higher when making the post moves to score. It seemed like part of his physical dominance.

I think Timmy is very close to done, either physically or mentally.
But we probably won't know until the playoffs when he tries harder.

Dingle Barry
03-28-2016, 03:28 PM
I think it shows how spoilt Spurs fans are.

Duncan 'playing like ass' was a 19/11/3/3/ season with a 25 PER and over 10 Win Shares, and (iirc) he was top 10 in RAPM.

Then in the Playoffs 20/15/3.

We can't say Duncan's done until the Playoffs. He stepped up big time last year against the Clippers, who's to say he won't again?

Well shit, I was thinking the Grizzlies series, 2011, not 2008. Not sure how I was so far off on that one.

Benoit
03-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Spur fans like to laugh at Kobes season but ignore that hes carrying a bunch of scrubs as the lead guy with Byron as coach lmao

Duncan just shoots open layups and rests every other game yet still looks terrible

Imagine if he had to carry a team like Kobe is asked to do lmao he would have retired after 1 month

coachmac87
03-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Spur fans like to laugh at Kobes season but ignore that hes carrying a bunch of scrubs as the lead guy with Byron as coach lmao

Duncan just shoots open layups and rests every other game yet still looks terrible

Imagine if he had to carry a team like Kobe is asked to do lmao he would have retired after 1 month

Kobe is to blame to have shitty teammates and a coach tbh...

GSH
03-28-2016, 08:40 PM

Well and he's done a fine job of leading them to a 15-59 record, too. Second worst record in the league, only better than Philly who is fielding a Division II college team.

And what a leader he is: Third best total points, Third best total assists, and the Twelfth best EFG%. That's pretty fucking impressive on a team full of scrubs.

He's shooting .286 from the 3P line, but he's still shot almost 400 of them. So you have to admire him for not shooting open layups, like Duncan.

But the best part of his leadership. I mean the very best part - is his ORtg of 95 and his DRtg of 113. Second worst on the shitty team, and only slightly better than the corpse of Metta World Peace. Isn't it tough to lead when the team scores fewer points, and gives up more points to other teams, when you are on the floor?

Hey, but at least he didn't retire after 1 month, like Duncan would have... right? Because that's how Laker fans measure leadership.

SilverSpur
03-28-2016, 11:19 PM
If he is or isn't let the man be and thank him for the five rings ( should be 6 )

Obstructed_View
03-28-2016, 11:51 PM

First of all, nobody is ignoring the scrubs on the Lakers, and nobody's ignoring Byron Scott. Kobe was vital and instrumental in making both of those nightmares a reality.

He's run off both teammates and coaches more than once in LA, to the point that now not only can't he retain good teammates, he can't even entice decent free agents to come ("be my Pau" :lmao), despite having the most desirable market in all of sports and what could be a basically unlimited payroll for a winning team. Kobe pouted about not being consulted when Mike Brown was hired, actively worked against him, told Jim Buss to hire Mike D'antoni, and ultimately actively worked against him as well, then telling the franchise to hire Scott.

Instead of worrying about any of that, he made sure to secure a team-crippling contract for himself, ends up with Byron Scott, Jeremy Lin and Carlos Boozer and then rests on defense so he can put up jumpers and pad his personal stats. Kobe led the franchise right to the lottery, something else he's done more than once in his career.

Meanwhile Duncan's busy being part of one of the best defenses in NBA history, has the longest 50-game season streak in history and still has never failed to make the playoffs in his career.

Mal
03-29-2016, 02:00 AM
I think he is done, and we wont see him next year.

davidbowie
03-29-2016, 05:16 AM
leaving the same year as kobe without announcing anything is such a Duncan type move. combined with his diminished role. i'm getting really nervous this might be it. i mean shit the end of an era is so damn close if he leaves this year. it hasnt even sunk in tbh.

manu too for that matter. i think after his balls were rearranged combined with him barely coming back this year he might be done too

z0sa
03-29-2016, 05:18 AM
He'll play one more year and then hang it up in my opinion

I think so, even if we win this year. BUT if we do win it all, I would raise the chances much higher that he makes a snap decision and calls it a career. Just a hunch. The whole "repeating" thing never seems to have bothered Tim, so either that prompts him to end it all while he's on top regardless of repeat or he plays one last year for the helluvit.

ElNono
03-29-2016, 05:29 AM
lmao bringing up Kobe the tank commander after a 1-11 night...

SouthernFried
03-29-2016, 06:22 AM

Kobe is not carrying the team...he is hampering them. And Duncan's contribution to the Spurs, is NOT on the offensive end. Extremely poor take here.

Kidd K
03-29-2016, 10:25 AM
I think he'll be back for another season unless he gets seriously injured.

lefty
03-29-2016, 10:56 AM
:lol Donecan

Gutter92
03-29-2016, 11:08 AM

Bruh you salty af...

TampaDude
03-29-2016, 02:02 PM
If Spurs ring this year, I could see him heading off into the sunset. If not, hopefully he'll be back for one more shot.

^this

He's not the monster he was a decade ago, but he is still an elite rim protector, even at his age. If the Spurs win #6 this year, I think he retires. If not, he'll give 'em one more year, then hang 'em up.

skulls138
03-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Imagine if he had to carry a team like Kobe is asked to do lmao he would have retired after 1 monthWelcome to Irrelevancy, hope you enjoy your stay.

GSH
03-29-2016, 03:00 PM
lmao bringing up Kobe the tank commander after a 1-11 night...

The "Tank Commander". :toast

J_Paco
03-29-2016, 04:11 PM

I don't know how anyone could expect him to physically be the same player he was last year. Fortunately his game doesn't rely on a huge amount of speed or leaping ability. It's why I suggested he could play this long in a thread like this from several years back.

Timmy's given up on his own offense this year, and it makes sense to do it. There's simply no need to get beat up. There are other guys who can score, so his shot attempts are down. His assists are at an all-time high. He certainly hasn't given up anything on defense this year, as the defense has been fucking amazing. If he can give you 25 minutes of real difference-making defense in a playoff series then you'd be insane not to take it. You'd also be insane not to have a backup plan, so it's just as well that Pop is playing a lot of combinations.

It's a long season, there's nothing to play for, this is statistically the best team he's ever been on and this is almost certainly his last chance to be a factor in a deep playoff run, at which point he'll go out on his shield.

Exactly, Obstructed! And the team hasn't even found or has in the pipeline a guy that can give you 8 ppg, 8 rbpg, 1 bpg, 2 or 3 apg and stellar defense for even half a game. If the team can unload a front court player (either Diaw, Bonner or Marjanovic) and find a solid prospect or a veteran that can eat a lot minutes then I'm okay with whatever Timmy does. He deserves to make what choice he wants, TBH. He has earned that right and a whole lot more.

TD 21
03-29-2016, 04:35 PM
'Done' is a relative term, tbh... he's still way better than Bogut, or young busts like Randle...

Most sports fans are fools. If someone is declining, that automatically equates to being done in their minds. Of all fans, you'd know Spurs fans would know better.

Even at his worst, Duncan is still an above average starting center. He clearly didn't look right mid season, but it's looking more and more like it was his right knee that was the primary reason for it, as he's looked better in recent weeks. He's also the one who's role has had to change the most.

cd98
03-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Duncan can play another 5 years like he is, but he's not a dominant center anymore. He is a very good defensive center, though. I think his drop in numbers may have more to do with Alderidge coming aboard than a rapid decline.

SAGirl
03-29-2016, 05:18 PM
The knees are the key and the one good knee is fragile.

ace3g
03-29-2016, 06:19 PM
He still has some time...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CesmHEkW4AElT2p.jpg:large

Ron Swanson
03-29-2016, 09:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxqj-7TCcAEel8v.jpg

The Punisher isn't done.

look_at_g_shred
03-29-2016, 10:39 PM
As your main option? Sure.

Ditty
03-30-2016, 01:47 AM

So the Spurs are not winning the championship until next year? :depressed:lol

dabom
03-30-2016, 01:56 AM
So the Spurs are not winning the championship until next year? :depressed:lol

Kawhi hat says 2026. :lol

Ditty
03-30-2016, 03:21 AM
Kawhi hat says 2026. :lol

The banners in the background bruh :lol

couchman
03-30-2016, 08:37 AM
I think that he is mostly done, but with the heart of a champion and he will bring everything he has in the playoffs and have a few games where he'll drop 20 and 10 and wow everyone. He is still an amazing team player and defender. Unfortunately his skills aren't a great match-up for GS. I also agree with those who say 2016 Duncan at his current salary is a huge bargain and if he wants to return for that again next year he's welcome to do it.

Seventyniner
03-30-2016, 08:41 AM

:lol Manu completely bald

Fireball
03-30-2016, 09:50 AM
still can't repeat

:pctoss

:rollin

dabom
03-30-2016, 11:26 AM
The banners in the background bruh :lol

:lol

Obstructed_View
03-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Okay, if Duncan came out and looked like Kobe did last night, I think I'd change my tune and call for him to limp away from the game. Kobe fumbled the ball, got his shit rejected, put up airballs, and put the team in a massive hole, then wrapped up both his knees, called it a night and watched his teammates win the game in dramatic fashion (and didn't celebrate when they won without him). On a night where everyone was talking about the drama of the young players, he stole the spotlight with how terrible he was.