PDA

View Full Version : SAints: Make It Happen

TheWriter
09-27-2005, 10:47 PM
My question: Why would Benson allow this at a city press conference, or why would the city even attempt this if Benson wasn't serious about moving to SA?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/TimManuParker/SAints.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/TimManuParker/P1011522.jpg

Horry For 3!
09-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Damn right! :tu

scott
09-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Well unless you could round 15000 people up to go buy some tickets in the next 36 hours, doesn't matter what Benson wants.

Solid D
09-28-2005, 08:08 AM
KENS reported that in a cooperative effort, KB Homes and the NO Saints bought 8,000 tickets to donate to evacuees, volunteers and relief workers so that they can go to the game Sunday. Does anyone know if those (8K) tickets were a part of the 50,000 that have already been sold? I assume they are but if not, then there would only be 7K remaining tickets.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Well unless you could round 15000 people up to go buy some tickets in the next 36 hours, doesn't matter what Benson wants.

First off, it will "sell out" per Chip Haas yesterday.

Second, what do you mean it doesn't matter what Benson wants? Of course it does. Even if we sold two tickets per game, if he wants to move the team here, he will.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Yes, because Benson controls the NFL.

PeterBurns
09-28-2005, 09:54 AM
No way the team comes here.
Period.

No way.

The NFL doesn't want it to happen.
San Antonio can't support it.
End of Story.

Sucks, but it's the truth.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Yes, because Benson controls the NFL.

No, but he controls his team. Last time I checked, he was the owner of the Saints.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 09:58 AM
No way the team comes here.
Period.

No way.

The NFL doesn't want it to happen.
End of Story.

Sucks, but it's the truth.

San Antonio can't support it? Give me the evidence that states this.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Maybe you should go check on how teams in the NFL move. When you do that, come back. But whatever, I'm done with this topic and you. Even when the powers that be come out and say what is going to happen, you don't get it. Even when the city's ticket sales are nothing extraordinary, you don't get it.

You just don't want to believe it, and you grasp onto anything you possibly can. In this case, a girl in a press confrence holding up a sign.

sa_butta
09-28-2005, 10:02 AM
I just dont think we can make it happen. They expect us to sell out just because another team comes to SA or they say they will not come back. Its not like we are supporting our own team. Ive talked to alot of people not going just because of lack of interest. I do like to watch football, but Im really not interested in any of the teams playing, and I will not pay $50 or more for that.

PeterBurns
09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Not enough money.
In the 2nd largest TV market there is not a team.
Do we honestly believe that we will get one being the 30th ranked TV market?

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Maybe you should go check on how teams in the NFL move. When you do that, come back. But whatever, I'm done with this topic and you. Even when the powers that be come out and say what is going to happen, you don't get it. Even when the city's ticket sales are nothing extraordinary, you don't get it.

You just don't want to believe it, and you grasp onto anything you possibly can. In this case, a girl in a press confrence holding up a sign.

26 owners have to vote yes in order for a team to relocate. When was the last time a relocation was turned down? Exactly.

And what isn't "extraordinary" about the sales for a team that is out of state, barely average, given to us barely 4 weeks ago, in a territory that is primarily Cowboy. How is a near sell out for game one, a sellout for game 2 not “extraordinary?” What about New York not selling out for the Saints-Giants game? New – freakin- York.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Not enough money.
In the 2nd largest TV market there is not a team.
Do we honestly believe that we will get one being the 30th ranked TV market?

Expansion over LA? No.

Benson voluntarily relocating his team here or another teaming moving here? Yes.

Not enough money, says who? Proved the facts.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 10:10 AM
I just dont think we can make it happen. They expect us to sell out just because another team comes to SA or they say they will not come back. Its not like we are supporting our own team. Ive talked to alot of people not going just because of lack of interest. I do like to watch football, but Im really not interested in any of the teams playing, and I will not pay $50 or more for that.

Game one is less than 10,000 tickets with Chip Haas saying corporations will take care of the rest.

Game two is going to sell out.

Game three will build up. I can’t see a Christmas eve game not selling out.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I think the issue here is larger than the immediate future. People are too focused on the effect of ticket sales on whether the Saints move here. The issue isn't the Saints -- it's demonstrating that after 2 decades of bluster about how much this city wants the NFL, that we'll go out and pay to watch the product.

If we sell out these games, it's no guarantee that the Saints will come here; if we don't sell out these games, it's highly unlikely that any NFL team will ever come here. It's a very simple proposition. We've begged and begged and begged for this opportunity and now we can't even get enough excitement to sell tickets to 5% of this City's population. Why on Earth would the NFL ever consider San Antonio in the future?

This is a unique chance and all I hear from a number of local sources (media mostly) is a bunch of excuses for why folks in this City aren't buying tickets. That kind of enabling will ensure that we never, ever get another chance at this.

This may be a small market and unattractive to the NFL right now. But this City has grown considerably in just the last 10-15 years. In another 10-15 years, when Tagliabue is no longer commissioner of the NFL, San Antonio could be a player for a team. Selling out these games would keep us on the front of the league's mind as a possibility for relocation or expansion; the failure to sell out these games will inflict serious harm on our chances.

I don't think comparisons to New Orleans or Jacksonville's troubles selling tickets fit in this situation. In 1993 or 1994, had Jacksonville had a one time chance to host a game (or 3) and couldn't have sold tickets, San Antonio would have used that against Jacksonville in trying to get an expansion team. It wouldn't have mattered who was playing in Jacksonville -- it only would have mattered that, given the opportunity, Jacksonville couldn't sell out.

In the same regard, I also don't understand the hostility to buying tickets because it's the Saints. I think of it this way -- suppose a city was jonesing for basketball and, for some reason, the Spurs had to play a game there. Would we understand why folks in that city weren't buying up every ticket to see the Spurs play? I doubt it. We'd be saying to ourselves, "well, I guess they didn't want NBA basketball that badly."

PeterBurns
09-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Do we 100% believe that Jerry Jones and Bob McNair will vote to put direct competition in their own backyard.

What's next?

HEB giving Kroger the green light to move into SA?

TheTruth
09-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Do we 100% believe that Jerry Jones and Bob McNair will vote to put direct competition in their own backyard.

What's next?

thats two, now name the other 4 that would vote against benson. Benson is one of the longest tenured and most respected owners in the league, and if he wants to move his team to San Antonio he will. The owners won't vote it down. Doesn't mean he'll turn down the millions upon millions of dollars he would make if he sold the team to someone that wants to move it to L.A.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2005, 10:29 AM

What's next?

Perhaps not right now. But again, what happens when Jones and McNair have sold their interests in those teams? What happens in the longer term?

What happens is, San Antonio again begs for a team and the NFL says "Well, you had a chance and less than 5% of the population bothered to buy tickets. Now if you'll excuse us, we're late for our appointment with Portland."

j-6
09-28-2005, 10:30 AM
26 owners have to vote yes in order for a team to relocate. When was the last time a relocation was turned down? Exactly.

The last few relocations didn't actually go to a vote. When Modell moved the original Browns to Baltimore and when Georgia Frontiere moved the Rams to St Louis, the owners didn't vote. Same with Bud Adams and his field trip across Tennessee. The objections were slight from the owners because they didn't want the new cities to file lawsuits against the league after the teams signed agreements to play in their stadia.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2005, 10:31 AM
thats two, now name the other 4 that would vote against benson. Benson is one of the longest tenured and most respected owners in the league, and if he wants to move his team to San Antonio he will. The owners won't vote it down. Doesn't mean he'll turn down the millions upon millions of dollars he would make if he sold the team to someone that wants to move it to L.A.

I don't think the issue should focus on what Benson and the Saints are going to do. This issue is bigger than the Saints. We're talking about the Saints as a specific entity only because of these circumstances.

Whether its the Saints or another team that we try to get in a few years or an expansion team in 2013 (as an example), it ain't gonna happen here if SA doesn't buy tickets. It's really very simple.

T Park
09-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Maybe you should go check on how teams in the NFL move

the Colts moved in the black of night and did it anyways after being opposed heavily.

The Raiders from Oakland, to LA, back to Oakland, winning lawsuits filed by the NFL.

If the Saints WANT to move? They WILL move. Benson has precedence.

Will he do it?? Nah, he aint got the beans.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 10:38 AM

What's next?

Two votes no isn't going to stop San Antonio from getting a team. And HEB doesn't have the say so or power to keep anyone from moving into the SA market.

09-28-2005, 10:40 AM
And HEB doesn't have the say so or power to keep anyone from moving into the SA market.

See a lot of Kroger's or Albertson's in town do you?

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 10:44 AM

Yeah, because HEB owns their asses.

But if Kroger wanted to move into town they could, but it wouldn't make sense business wise.

But HEB has no power or say in whether Kroger is allowed to move into the SA market.

If they could there'd be no Wal-Mart Supercenters in SA.

PeterBurns
09-28-2005, 10:48 AM

Exactly.

You must believe the with power and influence that these owners have that there isn't a "Good Ole Boy" Network.

Without it, many of them wouldn't be in the mix.

Do not mince my words. I would love to see a NFL city here.
But it is clear that it's not a NFL goal, nor will they help do it.

It's a bad situation for all involved.

Saints have no home city to support it.
Too hard to move for PR reasons.
Owners won't be thrilled

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Owners won't be thrilled

True
False
False
Who cares

cherylsteele
09-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Only because HEB was better competitively in San Antonio. There are Korgers, Randalls, and other grocery stores in along with HEB in Austin, Dalllas, Houston, etc. Kroger can come here, and was here, but it was unprofitable and moved out.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Exactly.

Exactly what? I see a lot of WalMart Supercenters and they're slowly but surely taking a big piece out of HEB's dominance pie. Why do you think HEB has the format HEB Plus, because WalMart is kicking ass and HEB is trying to survive?

Why do you think HEB doesn't have a large presence in Dallas? Why do you think Albertsons is leaving the Dallas area? Why does Houston have tons of HEB;s and tons of Albertsons and tons of Krogers?

j-6
09-28-2005, 10:54 AM
What kind of objections did Dan Snyder (or Jack Kent Cooke, don't remember who was in charge then) raise when Modell announced plans to play literally 40 minutes away in Maryland? Were there any concessions made to him?

Dallas is 250+ miles away from San Antonio and Houston is around 200. If Benson did decide for whatever reason to move to SA, I don't see how Jones and McNair can argue with it, especially considering the DC/Baltimore precedent.

Speaking of precedent, there's plenty to look through when searching for relocation into a smaller market. Houston to Memphis and then Nashville. Los Angeles (Rams) to St Louis. Baltimore (Colts) to Indianapolis. Los Angeles (Raiders) to Oakland.

In short, Benson can do whatever the fuck he wants to do. It might not make much sense as a business decision to relo the Saints to SA when Los Angeles and Portland don't have franchises, but it's his call.

cherylsteele
09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Owners won't be thrilled

1) sort of...they are just misplaced at the moment. New Orleans maynit be able to support it now that their base city has been "reorganized". NO will never be the same....contrary to what sime may think.
2) Speculation, they said that about the Spurs at times as well in the late 80's.
3) Al Davis, Bud Adams (Oilers), Colts, Browns, Rams, Cardinals, have all moved plenty of precedence.
4) just 2 out of 30.....I don't know that could be a majority against a move.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 11:00 AM
2) Speculation, they said that about the Spurs at times as well in the late 80's.

You mean mid 70's.

cherylsteele
09-28-2005, 11:02 AM
You mean mid 70's.

That too....but in the late 80's when the Spurs were less than stellar their was talk about moving the team to other places as well then came DRob and many front office changes.

TheTruth
09-28-2005, 11:24 AM
T minus 4 days. Meet me at my truck.

Solid D
09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
In short, Benson can do whatever the fuck he wants to do. It might not make much sense as a business decision to relo the Saints to SA when Los Angeles and Portland don't have franchises, but it's his call.

Portland? Portland already had it's chance with inheriting a New Orleans football team.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/e/e8/NewOrleansBreakers.png

:smokin

cherylsteele
09-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Portland? Portland already had it's chance with inheriting a New Orleans football team.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/e/e8/NewOrleansBreakers.png

:smokin
The USFL?? ALMOST NOBODY backed any of those teams.

tlongII
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
I went to a couple of those games...

Extra Stout
09-28-2005, 03:02 PM
This is what will happen:

2006 -- all home games in Baton Rouge
2007 -- if a new Superdome is under development, the team will stay in Louisiana; otherwise, the team will relocate to Los Angeles.

I hear all this wishful thinking about how Benson can move the team wherever he wants. Well, sure, until he runs out of money and has to sell the team.

Notes to San Antonio leaders:
1) Emulating the ethics of Louisiana politicians is not a good thing. Are you just trying to make the Saints feel more at home?
2) First-class cities don't act desperate like this.

To Buddy Holly: a pre-emptive STFU.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 03:13 PM
This is what will happen:

2006 -- all home games in Baton Rouge
2007 -- if a new Superdome is under development, the team will stay in Louisiana; otherwise, the team will relocate to Los Angeles.

I hear all this wishful thinking about how Benson can move the team wherever he wants. Well, sure, until he runs out of money and has to sell the team.

Notes to San Antonio leaders:
1) Emulating the ethics of Louisiana politicians is not a good thing. Are you just trying to make the Saints feel more at home?
2) First-class cities don't act desperate like this.

To Buddy Holly: a pre-emptive STFU.

Hey Miss Cleo, your ass got canned a long time ago. Now take your ass to Makebelieveland.

Extra Stout
09-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey Miss Cleo, your ass got canned a long time ago. Now take your ass to Makebelieveland.See, in the world outside your parents' basement, those decisions already have been made. No prognostication is needed.

TheWriter
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM
See, in the world outside your parents' basement, those decisions already have been made. No prognostication is needed.

The world inside my parent’s basement is still more recognizable and coherent compared to the infelicitous reality you’ve conjured up.