PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: is yao ming overrated?

RsxPiimp
03-31-2016, 04:19 PM
jalen rose doesn't believe yao deserves to be in the HOF but other than that, throughout his career yao was always pegged as one of the leagues best player (when healthy) with multiple all nba selections etc. is he any better than today's big men?

what say you?

baseline bum
03-31-2016, 04:59 PM
I always thought he was extremely overrated. He would have taken them somewhere if he was any good, and he never did.

Blake
03-31-2016, 05:13 PM
I don't think he deserves to get in on his NBA career

Obstructed_View
03-31-2016, 05:24 PM
A billion Yao fans can't be wrong.

Blake
03-31-2016, 05:25 PM

They could be Wong

MultiTroll
03-31-2016, 05:27 PM
:lol Jeff Van Gundy as coach
:lol LakerRef stepping up after Yao punked Shaq in their initial meetings.
Foot injuries.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2016, 05:30 PM
They could be Wong

I was trying to think of something funny, and I completely whiffed on that one. :lmao

Arcadian
03-31-2016, 05:30 PM

Sure they can, in the same way that millions of people who voted for Kobe to be an all-star in 2016 are wrong.

If all-star voting is the metric, then yeah he's overrated. He's not the greatest player of his era. But he was a top 3 center for a while.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Sure they can, in the same way that millions of people who voted for Kobe to be an all-star in 2016 are wrong.

That was kind of the point I was making.

djohn2oo8
03-31-2016, 05:50 PM
I always thought he was extremely overrated. He would have taken them somewhere if he was any good, and he never did.

He was always hurt. His last healthy year was 08-09. Yao stays healthy that series against the Lakers, then it would have been a free ride to a ring. But he didnt so it wasnt.

Blake
03-31-2016, 05:55 PM
He was always hurt. His last healthy year was 08-09. Yao stays healthy that series against the Lakers, then it would have been a free ride to a ring. But he didnt so it wasnt.

It was exhausting just watching him labor up and down the court on those little legs

djohn2oo8
03-31-2016, 06:03 PM
It was exhausting just watching him labor up and down the court on those little legs

Yep. Didn't help that he played summer ball too every year

Poolboy5623
03-31-2016, 06:08 PM

I'm one who thinks Yao is overrated, but the guy had tree trunks for legs..

Pelicans78
03-31-2016, 06:17 PM
He was a bit overrated. He definitely cost them in the 2006-2007 playoffs against Utah. Couldn't get a rebound to save to his life in Game 7. That team was usually better with Dikembe on the floor.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2016, 06:31 PM

He was awfully fucking good when he was healthy, though. Being a hall of famer requires a combination of productivity and longevity. Yao certainly had the former.

Blake
03-31-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm one who thinks Yao is overrated, but the guy had tree trunks for legs..

Yeah, short tree trunks

benefactor
03-31-2016, 06:57 PM
Though he was soft, Yao was as skilled as some of the best bigs to ever touch a basketball. It's a shame China ruined him by making him play ball year round.

baseline bum
03-31-2016, 08:11 PM

I'd take the Nuggets or Magic over that Rockets team.

Spurtacular
03-31-2016, 10:20 PM
Ming is not over-rated. Nobody was saying he should be in the HOF. On a better team he might have ringed.

ambchang
03-31-2016, 11:03 PM
Yao in the HoF is a lock. Purely because of his impact on east Asia.

100%duncan
03-31-2016, 11:12 PM
Yes but he deserves HOF

StrengthAndHonor
03-31-2016, 11:13 PM
Though he was soft, Yao was as skilled as some of the best bigs to ever touch a basketball. It's a shame China ruined him by making him play ball year round.

Spurtacular
04-01-2016, 12:52 AM

To me, a retarded argument (that might work). Players should be judged on what they do on the court. But they put all these lame announcers and execs and women's players and college coaches into the HOF that I could honestly care less who's in it, anyhow.

daslicer
04-01-2016, 12:59 AM
I have this rule that if a player has gone to at least 6 all-star games they should be a lock for the HOF. Yao went to 8 ASGs granted some of you will scream that he was voted in but he was a top 3 center during that time period and after Shaq left the West there was no better center in the Western Conference.

Kawhitstorm
04-01-2016, 01:00 AM
I'd take the Nuggets or Magic over that Rockets team.

Folks forget the Magic were WITHOUT Jameer Nelson in the Finals & that was the year he was an All-Star. The series could easily have been 3-1 in the Magic's favor as the Lakers need OT to win Gm 2/4.:lol (Lee actually missed a layup at the end of regulation in Gm 2 that would have won it)

Kawhitstorm
04-01-2016, 01:04 AM

His postseason career wasn't better than Rik Smits.:lol

ambchang
04-01-2016, 05:50 AM
To me, a retarded argument (that might work). Players should be judged on what they do on the court. But they put all these lame announcers and execs and women's players and college coaches into the HOF that I could honestly care less who's in it, anyhow.

Then start your own HoF. One that wouldn't include dr James Naismith.

Spurtacular
04-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Then start your own HoF. One that wouldn't include dr James Naismith.

That's a retarded point. I never said I was against DJN; though, it wouldn't be a big deal either way, tbh. My point is HOF's are in essecence social clubs nowadays.

ambchang
04-01-2016, 12:09 PM
That's a retarded point. I never said I was against DJN; though, it wouldn't be a big deal either way, tbh. My point is HOF's are in essecence social clubs nowadays.

Not how I read it.

Spurtacular
04-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Not how I read it.

I'm saying they're not just putting the best of the best players into the HOF. They've came up with ways to make it a social club basically.

Chinook
04-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Awesome peak but didn't play long enough. That's what he gets for playing with the Rockets.

Double-Up
04-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Awesome peak but didn't play long enough. That's what he gets for playing with the Rockets.

The Rockets didn't have shit to do with it. Playing year round every year is what did him in you ignorant fuck.

baseline bum
04-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Just more cheap Chinese crap that breaks easily.

Chinook
04-01-2016, 01:36 PM
The Rockets didn't have shit to do with it. Playing year round every year is what did him in you ignorant fuck.

:lol at trying to complain to a Spurs fan about a player playing year-round.

apalisoc_9
04-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Top 3 player in his super short peak peak...shitty body though.

Double-Up
04-01-2016, 05:22 PM
:lol at trying to complain to a Spurs fan about a player playing year-round.

Seriously? We're taking about a 7 foot 6 inch chink, not some short ass frenchman. :lol

baseline bum
04-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Top 3 player in his super short peak peak

:lmao

djohn2oo8
04-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Seriously? We're taking about a 7 foot 6 inch chink, not some short ass frenchman. :lol

:lol

ambchang
04-01-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm saying they're not just putting the best of the best players into the HOF. They've came up with ways to make it a social club basically.

You are mixing up HoF with all time teams. Hall of fames are usually used to honour people who made significant contributions to a cause, and that includes someone who popularized a sport to a quarter of the world population.

Spurtacular
04-01-2016, 08:37 PM
You are mixing up HoF with all time teams. Hall of fames are usually used to honour people who made significant contributions to a cause, and that includes someone who popularized a sport to a quarter of the world population.

There was a time HOFs were simply for the best of the best. A bunch of socialites expanded the definition.

ambchang
04-01-2016, 10:37 PM
There was a time HOFs were simply for the best of the best. A bunch of socialites expanded the definition.

It's the case of how the laws are getting more and more lax.

It used to be hell on earth if someone is found guilty of rape, now you just have to have a tearful press conference and a settlement out of court if you are rich enough because the precedence was set.

hater
04-01-2016, 10:53 PM
The great yellow hope. Of course he was overrated. He's a Chris Webber at best

daslicer
04-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Yao belongs in there considering they are NBA players who have gotten in the Hall of Fame who have had less accolades than Yao. Yao gets a lot of hate because he didn't live up to the hype of being a great big in the mold of Shaq,Wilt,Duncan,Jabbar. If you look at Yao's career objectively you can see a player who was a perennial all-star and a guy who made multiple all-nba teams that in itself is HOF worthy. I have a link posted below that shows all the players who have been inducted in the hall of fame. You will see some guys on that list who did not have as good of a career as Yao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_in_the_Naismith_Memorial_Basketbal l_Hall_of_Fame

StrengthAndHonor
04-01-2016, 11:18 PM
You wonder though how Yao will fare in today's fast paced game. I don't even think he'll even be a Top 5 big man.

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2016, 11:18 PM
didnt do shit in the nba

with or without him the league would still expand into china

8FOR!3
04-01-2016, 11:32 PM
He's a Hall of Famer in my book. Surprised by the disrespect he gets, but I guess it makes sense with his lack of accolades. Still Hall of Fame mold to me. Meh

Caltex2
04-02-2016, 01:32 AM
Ming is not over-rated. Nobody was saying he should be in the HOF. On a better team he might have ringed.

You have it in reverse, if he stays healthy in '08 or '09, the Rockets likely win it all.

daslicer
04-02-2016, 01:50 AM
He's a Hall of Famer in my book. Surprised by the disrespect he gets, but I guess it makes sense with his lack of accolades. Still Hall of Fame mold to me. Meh

Yao has a good amount of accolades. He was an 8 time all-star and made 5 all-nba teams. There are guys in the HOF who have done less than Yao. I think he gets the hate because he didn't live up to being a Shaq or Duncan like type of big.

Pelicans78
04-02-2016, 08:23 AM
You have it in reverse, if he stays healthy in '08 or '09, the Rockets likely win it all.

The Celtics would have smashed them in 2008. Yao was overrated and got in TMac's way most of the time. They won 22 in a row without Yao.

They still would have lost in 7 against the Lakers with Yao. I don't think they would have beaten the Nuggets either.

djohn2oo8
04-02-2016, 08:25 AM
The Celtics would have smashed them in 2008. Yao was overrated and got in TMac's way most of the time. They won 22 in a row without Yao.

They still would have lost in 7 against the Lakers with Yao. I don't think they would have beaten the Nuggets either.

Bynum nor Gasol could really deal with Yao's ability to shoot. And no it wasn't Yao who got in McGrady's way most of the time. They had a really shitty supporting cast until around 2008. When they both broke down at the same time. They won 22 in a row because of Adelman and McGrady.

Pelicans78
04-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Bynum nor Gasol could really deal with Yao's ability to shoot. And no it wasn't Yao who got in McGrady's way most of the time. They had a really shitty supporting cast until around 2008. When they both broke down at the same time.

That team seemed to function really well with Dikembe starting. The defense and rebounding was better overall and TMac was the main guy. But even with a healthy Yao, they wouldn't have beaten Boston in 2008. They could have made a run in 2009 but I still think the Lakers would have won in a Game 7 with a healthy Yao.

djohn2oo8
04-02-2016, 08:31 AM
McGrady showed who he truly was when he publicly picked the Lakers to win that series while it was still going on with his own team. Hell, Yao got out of the first round without him :lol

StrengthAndHonor
04-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Not against the Celtics, no.

buttsR4rebounding
04-02-2016, 01:01 PM

Basketball HOF attendance will increase by 10% or more as rich Chinese add it to their schedules. Heck, if the Chinese can come within a few thousand votes of making Bruce Bowen a starting forward in the ASG then NBA is going do everything it can ride the spike in Chinese interest.

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 01:10 PM

ambchang
04-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Yao belongs in there considering they are NBA players who have gotten in the Hall of Fame who have had less accolades than Yao. Yao gets a lot of hate because he didn't live up to the hype of being a great big in the mold of Shaq,Wilt,Duncan,Jabbar. If you look at Yao's career objectively you can see a player who was a perennial all-star and a guy who made multiple all-nba teams that in itself is HOF worthy. I have a link posted below that shows all the players who have been inducted in the hall of fame. You will see some guys on that list who did not have as good of a career as Yao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_in_the_Naismith_Memorial_Basketbal l_Hall_of_Fame

Yao got a lot of hate because he's Chinese. Americans are doing this to yellows and Browns what they did to blacks in the 60s, just less not as overtly because of the pc police.

Spurtacular
04-02-2016, 01:49 PM
This thread has convinced me Yao will be put in the HOF. If that's over-rated, then maybe. But like I said, they put a lot of ass clowns in the HOF these days; so....

daslicer
04-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Yao got a lot of hate because he's Chinese. Americans are doing this to yellows and Browns what they did to blacks in the 60s, just less not as overtly because of the pc police.

Yeah I pretty much agree with you on that. To me the bitching and complaining about him being in the HOF does not make any sense. They keep on bringing up race as the reason why he's in but when you look at his accolades they are better than some of the current HOFers.

RsxPiimp
04-02-2016, 01:59 PM

yao took a lot of beatings in the league, that's for sure.

Spurtacular
04-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Top 3 player in his super short peak peak...shitty body though.

:lmao Fanboy

Spurtacular
04-02-2016, 02:13 PM

That was Linsanity, tbh. Asians suddenly thought they could ball with him. Yao was just a freak of nature.

Webber was the sh**, especially on the right team like the Kings. And the Magic royally f'd up by not taking Webber. Shaq/Webber would've ringed; and he might not've jetted to LA.

Caltex2
04-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Bynum nor Gasol could really deal with Yao's ability to shoot. And no it wasn't Yao who got in McGrady's way most of the time. They had a really shitty supporting cast until around 2008. When they both broke down at the same time. They won 22 in a row because of Adelman and McGrady.

The Rockets were really snowballing. They did a good job picking up the slack as Yao went down with an injury but with him, they likely win the top seed and cruise until the WCF. There, I'd take them in 7 over the Lakers and lose a 7 game thriller to the Celtics.

It's not a laughing matter. Look how good they played without Yao. The reason the Celtics so thoroughly dominated the Rockets to end the 22-game winning streak is because they focused on shutting down T-Mac, who was the only primary scorer left, especially with a general lineup that composed of players like Carl Landry (undersized), Chuck Hayes (extremely undersized) and Shane Battier. Raefer Alston was the only one left that had to be respected off the dribble and he wasn't a primary scorer.

With Yao, you couldn't focus solely on cutting off T-Mac's perimeter action, you'd have to focus on shutting down him down as well, which was not only hard but also opened up T-Mac as well as the 3-point line for Battier and Novak when he was in the game.

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 06:15 PM
The Rockets were really snowballing. They did a good job picking up the slack as Yao went down with an injury but with them, they likely win the top seed and cruise until the WCF. There, I'd take them in 7 over the Lakers and lose a 7 game thriller to the Celtics.

It's not a laughing matter. Look how good they played without Yao. The reason the Celtics so thoroughly dominated the Rockets to end the 22-game winning streak is because they focused on shutting down T-Mac, who was the only primary scorer left, especially with a general lineup that composed of players like Carl Landry (undersized), Chuck Hayes (extremely undersized) and Shane Battier. Raefer Alston was the only one left that had to be respected off the dribble and he wasn't a primary scorer.

With Yao, you couldn't focus solely on cutting off T-Mac's perimeter action, you'd have to focus on shutting down him down as well, which was not only hard but also opened up T-Mac as well as the 3-point line for Battier and Novak when he was in the game.

:rollin

Caltex2
04-02-2016, 06:24 PM
^

Yep, just yuck it up. You didn't even respond, just laughed.

I will say if they put Yao in there, they definitely should have put Rudy T. in by now.

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 06:28 PM
^

I will say if they put Yao in there, they definitely should have put Rudy T. in by now.

It's hilarious. The 96 Spurs had a big winning streak too, but no way I'd claim they were title material. Rocket fans love overrating the shit out of their players, I remember how they all called Francis a franchise player. :lmao

RsxPiimp
04-02-2016, 06:28 PM
^

I believe you man, people forgot how that Celtics almost got regulated by the Atlanta hawks :lol that rockets team was grittier with more talent than the hawks and they were better coached too. they could def match the Celtics

oh and that rockets team gave the lakers a real hard time in 08 iirc.

Caltex2
04-02-2016, 06:32 PM
The Rockets never played the Lakers without Yao except win no. 22 in the streak, a virtual blowout. It'd have been interesting but I'd take the Rockets. The Rockets and Celtics would have been an all-time classic with a healthy Yao but I think the C's prevail.

Mark Celibate
04-02-2016, 06:33 PM
As much as I dislike that dude I have to admit that dude was one of the few players who could've brought a change to the game. The fact that he only had a short prime before falling into injury vulnerability was due mainly to him being misused by the bald faggot JVG imho. Dude was a freakier version of today's Porzingod as a freshman back then, who could shoot long range, having a solid low-post game as well as defensive game that was well above average. It was JVG who was convinced that Yao would be better off if converted to a O'Neal type of role, so you could rarely see Yao shooting a mid or long range jumper since JVG took charge, and as a result Yao's attributes of a skillful big man (like Pau Gasol) mostly regressed like his atrophied Asian dick. Gaining more weight/muscle is good/necessary for an easier life at the low post but at the same time it increases the load on his knees, which became a serious issue considering his 7'6 size and which was the main culprit that killed his career when he was still relatively young. International games should also be partly blamed, though.

Caltex2
04-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Yep, he had a short prime because he was extraordinarily tall and played year round thanks to the Chinese National Team. If he wasn't playing in international competition so much, I bet it adds at least 5 years to his career. He needed to bulk up, did you see how much he got pushed around as a young player? You simply won't last in the NBA without some muscle unless you're the quickest, smartest guard around and even then it doesn't hurt.

Caltex2
04-02-2016, 06:46 PM
It's hilarious. The 96 Spurs had a big winning streak too, but no way I'd claim they were title material. Rocket fans love overrating the shit out of their players, I remember how they all called Francis a franchise player. :lmao

The only reason he was called Stevie Franchise was because the word -franchise- flowed with his name, Steve Francis was not a franchise player and anyone who watched him knew despite his potential.

And I say again, look how good the '08 team was without Yao. With a break here or there, they may have beaten the Jazz without Yao, possibly including 2 wins in Salt Lake, which was arguably the hardest place to win at in the NBA.

Mark Celibate
04-02-2016, 10:33 PM
I think the best player model for the rookie Yao should've been a skillful/soft big rather than a beefy one. He was arguably one of the best big shooters (with the higest FT% of his team) but unfortunately his shooting skills were basically abandoned due to JVG's desired play style. For example, Pau Gasol has never been strong by any means but there's no doubt that he is one of the best bigs to ever play in the league, who's still playing at a very high level even at age 36. Porzingod should be thankful that he isn't playing under JVG or a similarly retarded coach, tbh.

sook
04-03-2016, 12:18 AM
damn where the fuck is rogue