PDA

View Full Version : Rank Spurs players on roster by their natural/innate talent..

spursistan
04-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Tier 1:

1- Ginobili
2- Diaw

Tier 2:

3- Duncan
4- West
5- Kawhi
6- LMA
7- Parker

Tier 3:

8- Miller
9- Kyle Anderson
10- Mills
11- Martin

Tier 4:

12- Green
13- Simmons
14- Bonner
15- Boban

ElNono
04-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Tim would be tier #1, IMO... He started playing late in his life and managed to make the game look too easy at times.

Otherwise solid list...

spursistan
04-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Tim would be tier #1, IMO... He started playing late in his life and managed to make the game look too easy at times.

Otherwise solid list...

Tim is certainly more fundamentally sound than Manu/Diaw, but here I weigh more the craftiness element..

Chinook
04-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Tier 4:

12- Green
13- Simmons
14- Bonner
15- Boban

Fucking ridiculous. Everyone knows Simmons has more talent than Green.

Robz4000
04-01-2016, 11:44 AM

So does Bonner imo.

Chinook
04-01-2016, 11:46 AM
So does Bonner imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMp96RXgow4

spursistan
04-01-2016, 11:53 AM
it was fun while it lasted..somebody point me the last time Simmons didn't get his two-handed dunk rejected and him getting to kiss the floor right after it :lol..

apalisoc_9
04-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Op is a great poster, but the idea that Duncan and Kawhi playing at a level they played is more of a credit to how they play than talent is silly.

What is talent? As far as i am concrened using your skills the right way is talent..

apalisoc_9
04-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Also, would you consider somoene like simmons who have minimal talent on every facet game more talented than someone like Danny Green who might be the most talented transition defender in the league but have zero talent in some facet of the game?

In that sense, who really is more talented.

How about Parker ability to get into the basket..probably the most talented in that regard..one of the top 3 penetrators ive ever seen..

Blake
04-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Why isn't Simmons a tier 1 for being able to jump out of the gym

Dre_7
04-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Timmy Tony and Kawhi need to be in that first group.

lebomb
04-01-2016, 12:14 PM
A player in the NBA:

Tier 1 :

Spurs roster

Blake
04-01-2016, 12:15 PM
A player in the NBA:

Tier 1 :

Spurs roster

Edgy

spursistan
04-01-2016, 12:23 PM
meh..not to take anything away from second group, but Manu/Diaw are simply on different level in terms of what/how they can do with a basketball..it is their lemonade-making ability that distinguishes them from others....

spursistan
04-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Op is a great poster, but the idea that Duncan and Kawhi playing at a level they played is more of a credit to how they play than talent is silly.

What is talent? As far as i am concrened using your skills the right way is talent..

Talent here is understood as an endowed basketball skill/tool that varies in its relation to development/hardwork/age from one player to the other..Kawhi, for example, wouldn't be the player he's become today if he wasn't such gym rat with the right attitude..There is a reason Manu is aging better than Parker..Diaw could still be useful in Warriors series with a protruding pot-belly..

TheGreatYacht
04-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Tier 4:
Ginobili
Green
Bonner

Tbh...

mudyez
04-01-2016, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMp96RXgow4

Wow...in every sense, that's en par with the Chyna sextape.

dabom
04-01-2016, 02:37 PM
This an April Fool's thread right? :lol

keeferob25
04-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Talent here is understood as an endowed basketball skill/tool that varies in its relation to development/hardwork/age from one player to the other..Kawhi, for example, wouldn't be the player he's become today if he wasn't such gym rat with the right attitude..There is a reason Manu is aging better than Parker..Diaw could still be useful in Warriors series with a protruding pot-belly..

Which begs the question...why isn't Duncan then in your first tier?

spursistan
04-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Which begs the question...why isn't Duncan then in your first tier?

play-making factor-- the unorthodox variety-- clinched tier 1..

dabom
04-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Top 5 player ever is not talented for tier 1? :lmao

Cry Havoc
04-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Miller is a drastically underrated player in NBA history.

hDzzmA4JM4M

You don't get to the top 10 assists in NBA history without being absurdly talented.

Cry Havoc
04-01-2016, 02:57 PM
And yes, when Tim Duncan doesn't start playing basketball until he's 13-14, and in the time it takes him to go through high school, he shows up as an unknown freshmen on Wake Forest's campus and starts destroying D1 ACC players before he's even taken a college class, that is the kind of thing that "insanely talented" is still an understatement for.

keeferob25
04-01-2016, 03:11 PM
And yes, when Tim Duncan doesn't start playing basketball until he's 13-14, and in the time it takes him to go through high school, he shows up as an unknown freshmen on Wake Forest's campus and starts destroying D1 ACC players before he's even taken a college class, that is the kind of thing that "insanely talented" is still an understatement for.

Let's not forget that rumor has it that at 16 over in the V Islands dude was playing ALONZO MOURNING to a draw...AT SIXTEEN years old which is how his college coach Odom became aware of him!!! Duncan was deemed pro-ready (and not the raw, developmental kind) after his sophmore year at WF. Sorry, him not being in the first tier makes no sense whatsoever. OP needs to change the title question to "Who's the most unorthodox" because that's what's he's basing it on primarily.

Kikoluna
04-01-2016, 03:27 PM
How on earth is Kyle 9. Wow. He's dead last. By a mile

TD 21
04-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Exactly. Probably no one has adhered to the latter more, in the history of the game, than Duncan. He's constantly changed his game based on where he was at his in his career and the team around him at the time.

Also, because he's been either old or ancient for so long, it's also seemingly become forgotten, to a certain extent, just how talented he was in his prime.

I know what spursistan is getting at, in terms of feel and IQ for the game, but that's different than talent.

Proxy
04-01-2016, 05:02 PM
A player in the NBA:

Tier 1 :

Spurs roster

haha, true

SAGirl
04-02-2016, 03:52 AM
I'd rank TD first. He has the whole package in physical tools ideal for the game and the natural talent.

Not sure where, I'd put Miller since I didn't see him younger and better but he impressed me. He understands the game so well that practically blended right in needing not many minutes or practice. Definite natural playmaker.

I wouldn't have West probably that high. He's a good player. I might be biased and wrong here bc I didn't see him in his youth or play at his more natural position of PF so seeing him now as a backup center at the tail end of his career makes it kind of unfair for me to judge this version of him and he's good but I think he benefits from the system a lot.

We actually have a pretty talented roster. Bonner can only shoot but he does it so very well, but one trick ponies I'd have as some of the least talented.

I haven't really liked Martin. He's been a scorer in other teams but I am only going by his play in the Spurs. I hope he makes some shots and helps us to 6, but so far he's battling the last spot in the talent pool with Simmons in my list. Simmons actually has natural gifts in his athleticism and good passing skills, but he's been a very late bloomer in his career and hardships aside, I am left wondering why he didn't put his package together earlier. He flashes talent, but when played 20 minutes without great teammates he gets exposed. Even in the dleague he makes costly mistakes. Going by their careers to be somewhat objective I'd have to say Martin is the better talent, but damn.

Uriel
04-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Simmons is arguably the most athletic player in the entire roster. He deserves to be higher than Tier 4. Ditto for Boban. The kid is 7"3, and you just can't teach size.

I would also rank Kyle Anderson higher given his sheer size and versatility (same reason Diaw is Tier 1). And I would probably rank Mills lower, seeing as a 6-ft SG in a PG's body should not be having the amount of success that he does.

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 04:21 AM
Duncan has more basketball talent than the rest of the roster combined.

SAGirl
04-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Simmons is arguably the most athletic player in the entire roster. He deserves to be higher than Tier 4. Ditto for Boban. The kid is 7"3, and you just can't teach size.

I would also rank Kyle Anderson higher given his sheer size and versatility (same reason Diaw is Tier 1). And I would probably rank Mills lower, seeing as a 6-ft SG in a PG's body should not be having the amount of success that he does.
I get your point and it is unfair to rank talent when some of that talent has already had a long NBA career and you can judge them much better. Other talent I am only seeing at the very end. The fact they are still being effective at that age like Miller speaks about their talent. Then the younger ones are very tough to compare. Kyle is practically in his first real season with the team. Without seeing him in the next 2-3 years playing a more significant role he's hard to judge. I am obviously high on him, but you have to project a lot, so I am fine with his current ranking. I'd expect that to go up as he matures into his body and his game.

Simmons is gifted physically, but there are so many pure athletes that wash out from the league every year. He's another one that without seing if he will put his package and his career together in the next couple of years I can't fairly judge. I demoted him bc for a 26 yrs old with his athletic gifts he should not have been needing to be dleaguing this season.

I am with you on Boban though. His size is a natural gift and he's skilled.

In general though I get your point the younger players will be at the end bc their careers are just starting and it's still a question mark whether they will put it together if they step into more minutes.

I also agree with you on Patty. He's actually a guy who has maximized everything he got, but if you reduce that 3 pts shooting just a bit like he did last season he's just not as valuable. He's short and lacking physical natural physical gifts to be that high. There is a definite truth you rank him at 22 with Kyle at 22 and there is no way Patty comes out as the most gifted.... that is why it's tough to judge the younger/newer kids.

maverick1948
04-02-2016, 01:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_gOHgMgvA

Bonner is more than a tier one player in this clip.
Take a look and see our enforcer in action.

YGWHI
04-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Tier 2:

3- Duncan
4- West
5- Kawhi
6- LMA
7- Parker

I'd put Tim in the first group.

Also, West's combo of playmaking-skills-and-great-passing surprised me. Never realized he was that type of playmaker big. Love him.

Kawhi? I'm tired of discussing about he should be higher in every ranking posted here so...

ego
04-02-2016, 05:42 PM
1 Parker

LongtimeSpursFan
04-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Natural inate talent: Anderson and Manu
Least talent: bonner, Green, Boban and Kawhi

YGWHI
04-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Natural inate talent: Anderson and Manu
Least talent: bonner, Green, Boban and Kawhi

Since mid stop posting on ST with that account and Chinook stop saying Kawhi D's overrated bc he's #1 among NBA perimeter players in every defensive stat and not Danny...Is this guy the bigger Kawhi's troll? Or it's still TGY/KLB?

"Kawhi never passed Mike Mitchell and Larry Kenon" when both never were "the guy" because Gerving, while Kawhi is without doubts the best Spurs player this season.

"Kawhi will be just a 2nd banana on a good team" when he's the leading scorer on the historic-Spurs-run

Keep doing your shit :tu :lmao

:claw

100%duncan
04-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Timmy not being number one is ridiculous

Tully365
04-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Weird thread for a few reasons... How could you know how many hours of practice any individual player put in when they were young? What you might see as "natural" talent could very well be the result of intense discipline and hard work. It's not like Manu was tossing his baby bottle behind the back onto the couch innately... it's more likely he saw the value in good passing at an early age and worked on it more than most other players.