PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills, Best Backup PG in the League Accdg to Rosen

cutewizard
04-01-2016, 01:39 PM
http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/san-antonio-spurs/rosen-patty-mills-best-backup-point-guard-nba/

This was written by Charley Rosen

complete story:

Rosen: Patty Mills is the best backup point guard in the NBA
Career backup players are among the most anonymous individuals in the NBA. And especially with headliners like Tim Duncan, Kawhi Leonard, LaMarcus Aldridge, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker garnering virtually all of the media attention on the San Antonio Spurs, Patty Mills’s contributions are too often overlooked.
Even so, it says here that Mills is not only a significant factor in the Spurs’ recent successes, but he’s also the very best backup point guard in the league.
Here’s an appraisal of Mills’ game as demonstrated in the Spurs 100-92 victory over the Pelicans.
Mills is both fast (up-and-down the court) and quick (within limited spaces). Plus he’s nothing less than an incredible passer, especially when he’s on the move and off-balance. Still, his slickest pass came on an underneath inbounds play with 1.6 seconds left in the first quarter. That’s when Mills tossed a perfect lob to Boris Diaw who canned a fadeaway jumper. The ball had to be perfectly placed to avoid the backboard plus the efforts of two defenders.
This was Mills’ only assist, only because several teammates missed makeable shots that his passes created. Moreover, Mills’ primary duty was to keep the ball moving, thereby allowing the inevitable unfolding of the offense to uncover open shots. It’s no surprise that, no matter who had the ball, there was always somebody available to pass the ball to — and somebody else, and somebody else, for 24 seconds.
That’s one of the beauties of the Spurs’ offense.
Indeed, at both ends of the court, Mills’ game plan was virtually perfect. In 20 minutes he only made two legitimate miscues, none of which were costly.

Whereas Tony Parker can still drive into the lane, then spin and/or twist his way into layups, Mills mostly scores from the perimeter. (He was 2-5 from downtown, which accounted for the six points he scored). One of Mills’ two turnovers occurred when he forced his way among the trees into the paint with nowhere to go — and his dribble was snatched away.
Mills was discredited with another turnover when his perfect pass bounced off Diaw’s hands and was recovered by the Pelicans.
And Mills also missed a rushed three-pointer.

Otherwise, Mills was in perfectly timed perpetual motion on offense — moving the ball with snappy passes, unafraid to set sturdy picks on bigs, passing away and cutting through the middle, protecting the ball with his body on crossovers and spins and, like every member of the Spurs, always making the extra pass.
The only occasions where Mills wasn’t moving when the Spurs had possession was when he briefly stood in one corner or the other while Manu Ginobili, LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Martin went one-on-one.
Mills did play a perfect game on defense. He dealt with screens in various ways — overplaying and beating his man to the contact, tailgating and recovering, squeezing his way through or switching. Whichever maneuver Mills executed, he received timely help from his teammates.
Even when he was forced to switch onto the massive Kendrick Perkins, Mills aggressively fronted him when taken into the low post, denying any entry pass.
Mills was rarely challenged in one-on-one situations. When Tim Frazier tried to take him, Mills sealed the baseline. Otherwise, Mills forced his erstwhile iso-minded opponents to help spots.
Mills’ ability to read the Pelicans’ offense also enabled him to record a pair of steals — both coming along the baseline from the weak side.
Pop showed his trust in Mills by leaving him in the game late in the third and early in the fourth quarter when New Orleans had mini-rallies. Indeed, with the Spurs up by only six and just over a minute left in the game, Pop had five subs on the floor.
Mills is the almost perfect cog in the Spurs’ almost perfect basketball machine. He’s one of the most significant reasons why San Antonio’s subs can compete on almost equal terms with opponents’ starters, as well as routinely outplay opponents’ second-stringers.
And, it also says here, that Patty Mills will be an important factor when the Spurs overcome the Warriors in the Western Conference finals.

Cry Havoc
04-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Mills is perfect for the Spurs system. I'm not sure he'd flourish with any other team other than maybe GSW and Cleveland.

Mills can make some good passes, but isn't a natural passer. He is great at moving the ball around though, so that doesn't matter in Pop's offense because everyone is moving the ball anyway, so the passes don't need to be like CP3's to be effective. Crisp short ball movement is emphasized, not crazy handles and blind cross court passes. He also doesn't have the handles to create his own shot, so the flow of the Spurs ball movement is good, as it gets him open with just his off-ball movement.

Mills is a SG in a PG's body and needs to be open and hot to be effective on offense. His energy brings intangibles which is almost always a positive, but he's not a standard PG by any stretch of the imagination.

RD2191
04-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Patty Mills is trash.

cutewizard
04-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Mills is perfect for the Spurs system. I'm not sure he'd flourish with any other team other than maybe GSW and Cleveland.

Mills can make some good passes, but isn't a natural passer. He is great at moving the ball around though, so that doesn't matter in Pop's offense because everyone is moving the ball anyway, so the passes don't need to be like CP3's to be effective. Crisp short ball movement is emphasized, not crazy handles and blind cross court passes. He also doesn't have the handles to create his own shot, so the flow of the Spurs ball movement is good, as it gets him open with just his off-ball movement.

Mills is a SG in a PG's body and needs to be open and hot to be effective on offense. His energy brings intangibles which is almost always a positive, but he's not a standard PG by any stretch of the imagination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks Sir Cry Havoc!

Sean Cagney
04-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Patty Mills is trash.

Damn man I would not go that far....... He is decent. He is a SG though in a PG's body as others said, not someone I want running the offense.

cariocaz
04-01-2016, 07:02 PM
:flag:

dabom
04-01-2016, 07:04 PM
OP a top 20 poster. :toast

wildbill2u
04-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Think of yourself as a defender assigned to guard Patty. He is a perpetual motion machine who will run your ass ragged through endless picks and circles. And on defense no one works any harder. Bigger Opponents post him up, but the little guy refuses to give up any ground without a fight.

lil'mo
04-01-2016, 08:40 PM

Mills did exactly what he does with the Spurs, for the Blazers. Pretty vanilla take to say "he's flourished in the Spurs system and could only be valuable here" lmao

100%duncan
04-01-2016, 09:28 PM
:lol as always, diminishing a player just cause he is in Pop's system!!! :cry

Mills was the leading scoring in the 2012 olympics, if anything the "system!!!! :cry" is keeping him from starting

Cry Havoc
04-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Mills did exactly what he does with the Spurs, for the Blazers. Pretty vanilla take to say "he's flourished in the Spurs system and could only be valuable here" lmao

How many minutes did he get with the Blazers? We didn't exactly tear him away from them in FA.

pgardn
04-01-2016, 09:41 PM

Mills was the leading scoring in the 2012 olympics, if anything the "system!!!! :cry" is keeping him from starting

You want Mills starting at PG?

100%duncan
04-01-2016, 09:45 PM
You want Mills starting at PG?

For other teams if you actually learn how to comprehend a discussion.

dabom
04-01-2016, 09:52 PM

:lol

100%duncan
04-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Im ready to list starting PG's of other teams who Patty is easily better compared to if some dumbass decides to ask for it

cutewizard
04-02-2016, 04:34 AM
Remarkable gift from the Boston Celtics today guys

respect to the Celtics!!!

no superstars on that team, hey, thats team basketball for you

_------

fuck the warriors and their arrogant swaqgger

sexinthatsx
04-02-2016, 04:44 AM
If Patty Mills had the green light to shoot and chuck 3's like Steph Curry he would make them at an amazing clip too tbch...

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 04:57 AM
Keyword: back-up.

SouthernFried
04-02-2016, 07:27 AM
I like the fact he always brings the ball up quickly. Unlike another Spurs PG.

aussie91
04-02-2016, 08:32 AM

Thats strange the Aussie team ran a lot of the spurs sets under Brown

100%duncan
04-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Thats strange the Aussie team ran a lot of the spurs sets under Brown

Yeah, sure. Sixers look really good with those Spurs sets.

Proxy
04-02-2016, 01:04 PM

I'm sure Pop would get Tony to bring the ball up quickly if it was a real issue

Spurtacular
04-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Rosen stealing my sh**

Mills is like the best back-up PG in the league and playing for a poultry three mil...

gambit1990
04-02-2016, 02:53 PM

jeebus
04-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Damn man I would not go that far....... He is decent. He is a SG though in a PG's body as others said, not someone I want running the offense.
He's still butthurt the spurs let :cry the faggot who made a dunk against the thunder :cry go and be below average in Toronto.

SAGirl
05-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Not to troll Patty but Shaun Livingston:

Going to be a concern next round bc I do think we make it to the next round. Ian Clark has also been on fire for GSW.

TheGreatYacht
05-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Dellavedova rolling around in his grave

99 Problems
05-05-2016, 05:15 AM
Patty you the real MVP. Didn't our last 3rd string pg get 30mil from the Raps. Patty is cheap.

cutewizard
05-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Patty better show up in the next few games, this thread (which I started) is starting to look embarrassing

and Im pissed off waiting for our game three win

fuck okc!

BillMc
05-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Not to troll Patty but Shaun Livingston:

Going to be a concern next round bc I do think we make it to the next round. Ian Clark has also been on fire for GSW.

Miller, Manu or Kyle may have to get some time. Patty is just too small to guard him.