PDA

View Full Version : Pop can rest players at Oracle now, lol

$pursDynasty
04-02-2016, 12:06 AM
C's down the Dubs and now we can be the only team to go undefeated at home.

Mel_13
04-02-2016, 12:12 AM
He was gonna rest them anyway.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Would be incredibly annoying if the Warriors beat the Spurs in SA.

$pursDynasty
04-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Best believe if we win tomorrow hating ass Dubs will try to ruin our home record.

Spurtacular
04-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Best believe if we win tomorrow hating ass Dubs will try to ruin our home record.

Well, they still are trying to beat the Bulls record, though.

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 12:23 AM

Why? 41-0 doesn't get you a banner.

T Park
04-02-2016, 12:24 AM

Who gives a shit?

SPURt
04-02-2016, 12:25 AM
This

Keepin' it real
04-02-2016, 01:09 AM
There's more to life than banners. Like 41-0.

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 01:22 AM

Would be hilarious if the Worriers lost while trying their best to ruin the 41-0 record while Pop is half assing it.:lol

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 01:22 AM

It would ruin BSPN's narrative that the Worriers are untouchable.:lol

theman21
04-02-2016, 05:03 AM
I am thinking Spurs lose at home to Raptors to prevent Warriors from gaining any kind of psychological advantage of breaking our record to redeem themselves of fumbling theirs.

For Pop it's all on preparing for a title run, regular season records mean nothing now that our seeding is all but guaranteed.

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 05:07 AM

Do you think people are still talking about that Bulls team because they got a ring, or because they went 72-10?

TheDoctor
04-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Do you think people are still talking about that Bulls team because they got a ring, or because they went 72-10?
IMO both tbh. People wouldn't be talking (as they talk) about that Bulls team if they hadn't won the Championship.

GSH
04-02-2016, 09:09 AM

LMAO - Pop doesn't give a rat fuck what people are saying right now... much less 20 years from now. Only people like you care about that.

The OP thinking that Pop will change his strategy, based on the Warriors being out of the "41-0 At Home Sweepstakes" is sort of cute.

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 09:15 AM
LMAO - Pop doesn't give a rat fuck what people are saying right now... much less 20 years from now. Only people like you care about that.

Well it's funny because in another thread you've just said you weren't a psychic, which I'd be inclined to believe since not only you know what Pop is thinking but also what everybody else is caring about or not...

hater
04-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Pop will either rest both games or rest one and bullshit the other.

pgardn
04-02-2016, 10:45 AM
IMO both tbh. People wouldn't be talking (as they talk) about that Bulls team if they hadn't won the Championship.

And if they had not won a championship, people would be saying look what a record setting regular season gets you...

A huge choke job.... We wasted it on the regular season... We lost multiple times in the playoffs at home...

TheDoctor
04-02-2016, 11:07 AM
And if they had not won a championship, people would be saying look what a record setting regular season gets you...

A huge choke job.... We wasted it on the regular season... We lost multiple times in the playoffs at home...

It's a nice feat to accomplish but they likely be under an insanely amount of pressure throughout the Playoffs because of it. The recurring thinking of "We beat Bulls' record to end up being eliminated?" can't be healthy at all.

Can you guys imagine that locker room if the Spurs manage to win that 1st WCF game in that disgusting, dirty city that's Oakland?

pgardn
04-02-2016, 11:15 AM
It's a nice feat to accomplish but they likely be under an insanely amount of pressure throughout the Playoffs because of it. The recurring thinking of "We beat Bulls' record to end up being eliminated?" can't be healthy at all.

Can you guys imagine that locker room if the Spurs manage to win that 1st WCF game in that disgusting, dirty city that's Oakland?

Thats why I wanted to them to gather the home record and regular season record. It would be so interesting to see if they would meltdown given your scenario. This would have made the playoffs even more interesting. It gives one a look into the mental nature of the game and suffering setbacks. This is why I think us losing game 6 against Miami gave us a chance to do something really incredible in game 7. But we were not good enough. So it goes.

DMC
04-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Agreed from the start.

People who latch on to that RS record shit basically have low hopes for getting a banner in the first place, so they settle for consolation prizes and moral victories even if they haven't realized that's what they are doing.

Blake
04-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Not only that, nobody gives a shit about an undefeated home record. I didn't even know the Bulls had the record until this year.

The only regular season feat that matters is 73 wins.

gambit1990
04-02-2016, 11:34 AM
hopefully he'll just rest parker.

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Not only that, nobody gives a shit about an undefeated home record. I didn't even know the Bulls had the record until this year.

Maybe because they weren't, you know, undefeated.

SPURt
04-02-2016, 11:43 AM
They talk about that team because of MJ and the roster has a ton of talent on paper. If that team wins 67 games and the chip they'd still be picking one of Jordan's teams as the best in the modern era. 72-10 makes is an obvious choice, though many argue Jordan's earlier teams are better. At the end of the day, there's no way I'd pick a Curry/Green/Klay led team over a Jordan/Pippen/Rodman or really any of Jordan's championship teams. Same for Magic's best teams and Bird's.

That's not to say further accomplishments by the Warriors won't place them in the discussion. It's too early to tell how these Warriors will fit into the history of the game.

Blake
04-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Maybe because they weren't, you know, undefeated.

Or maybe, you know, nobody really gives a shit

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Or maybe, you know, nobody really gives a shit

37-4 isn't quite the same as 41-0, I don't see what's so hard to understand.

People care about stupid 20+ games winning streaks but wouldn't care about being the first team in history to go 41-0, a record that obviously can't be beaten?

paperboy77
04-02-2016, 12:30 PM
I am thinking Spurs lose at home to Raptors to prevent Warriors from gaining any kind of psychological advantage of breaking our record to redeem themselves of fumbling theirs.

For Pop it's all on preparing for a title run, regular season records mean nothing now that our seeding is all but guaranteed.

Exactly this. :lmao

101A
04-02-2016, 12:34 PM

This. The Spurs are now in preseason v.2.0. Winning any game before playoffs means nothing. Even when everyone plays, expect goofy lineups and head scratching sets.

101A
04-02-2016, 12:37 PM
37-4 isn't quite the same as 41-0, I don't see what's so hard to understand.

People care about stupid 20+ games winning streaks but wouldn't care about being the first team in history to go 41-0, a record that obviously can't be beaten?

only rings matter. Nothing else. Not streaks. Not records

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 12:43 PM
only rings matter. Nothing else. Not streaks. Not records

They are not incompatible.

I'm usually in the camp of saying only rings matter. But 41-0 at home is one of the few records I think are significant. And with only two games to go I see no reason not to at least try.

wildbill2u
04-02-2016, 01:00 PM
41-0 puts the Spurs into the record book as the first team ever to do it and it could never be broken. I think it gives us confidence going into the playoffs if we get it. The starters need some play as we go to the playoffs to keep their conditioning and keep the rust off. So Pop shouldn't sit the whole bunch of them for the next few games.

And there is nothing that says we can't go 41-0 AND win a championship.

GSH
04-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Well it's funny because in another thread you've just said you weren't a psychic, which I'd be inclined to believe since not only you know what Pop is thinking but also what everybody else is caring about or not...

I'm not psychic, you pinhead. All you have to do is listen to Pop, and he says it himself. Pretty much all the time. And YOU obviously DO care about it, based on your own comments.

But 41-0 at home is one of the few records I think are significant.
See how that works?

If you see Pop playing all the starters long minutes (like Kerr is doing) in an attempt to go 41-0 at home, call me out on it and I'll apologize. But I don't have to be psychic to know that you'll tuck your tail and conveniently forget about all this when he doesn't do that.

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 03:28 PM
But I don't have to be psychic to know that you'll tuck your tail

Haha that will be the day. If the Spurs manage to get that record, I'll be sure to remind you you thought it was worthless every time you bring it up :D

Blake
04-02-2016, 03:29 PM
I think it gives us confidence going into the playoffs if we get it.

Yeah, if they go 40-1 it'll be in their heads[!]

Blake
04-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Haha that will be the day. If the Spurs manage to get that record, I'll be sure to remind you you thought it was worthless every time you bring it up :D

I think it's worthless. You can remind me too.

Nice cherry on top, but ultimately forgettable to everyone outside of San Antonio fans. Ultimately worthless.

steeledl
04-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Post on Reddit Relevant to this thread . I don't think we will do it but it is an interesting point of view

I think you guys should start everybody, make it as tough as possible for them. They're not resting anybody as they chase 73 and SAS could still rest theirs five of the last seven. Something to be said for picking GSW's least favorite thing here, which would be no freebies punctuating their last few (nerve-racking) games against playoff teams with a lot left to fight for. In terms of mental taxation the Dubs are basically forcing themselves to win an extra playoff series right before the playoffs. Might be worth more than a couple days of rest to throw some marbles on the road.

YGWHI
04-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Who cares about the home record when the team secured the #2 seed.

But don't be a hypocrite...it'll be pretty annoying to see the Warriors beating the Spurs in SA, also the Thunder beating our guys in home -if Pop keeps his resting/22 minutes his best player-...

It's not about the record. But those two games are our last two home games and Pop will rest guys at Oracle, sit them against Warriors/Thunder in home, and not travel to Utah or Dallas in the last game, ending the season with 4 losses...Not sure if that's good after all.

$pursDynasty
04-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Some have posted that Pop will tank this game to take the impetus from the Dubs when they come to SA. What a pussy chain of thought. Let's just give it up so they won't enjoy taking it from us. I have to believe while not the ultimate goal the players like the home undefeated streak and Duncan likes that the Dubs have NEVER defeated him in SA in the regular season.

Spur|n|Austin
04-02-2016, 06:56 PM

Who gives a shit?

resistanze
04-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Why can't you go 41-0 at home and still aspire to win the championship?

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Why can't you go 41-0 at home and still aspire to win the championship?

Meaningless games to end a season can only hurt you. For instance, Ginobili breaking his arm in Phoenix two minutes into the final game, dooming the 2011 postseason.

resistanze
04-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Meaningless games to end a season can only hurt you. For instance, Ginobili breaking his arm in Phoenix two minutes into the final game, dooming the 2011 postseason.

You can also blow your ACL in the first game of the playoffs like Rose or dislocate your shoulder like Love. Never got this notion of trying to avoid game in order not to get hurt. You can get hurt any game.

It's something to be proud of that the Spurs have 50+ win seasons for 19 years, highest winning % in all of pro sports. But people acting like records suddenly don't matter seem like they're just trying to not set themselves up for disappointment. The Spurs should fucking go for it.

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 07:36 PM
You can also blow your ACL in the first game of the playoffs like Rose or dislocate your shoulder like Love. Never got this notion of trying to avoid game in order not to get hurt. You can get hurt any game.

It's something to be proud of that the Spurs have 50+ win seasons for 19 years, highest winning % in all of pro sports. But people acting like records suddenly don't matter seem like they're just trying to not set themselves up for disappointment. The Spurs should fucking go for it.

You'd be getting hurt in a game that mattered in the playoffs.

04-02-2016, 07:42 PM

It's something to be proud of that the Spurs have 50+ win seasons for 19 years, highest winning % in all of pro sports. But people acting like records suddenly don't matter seem like they're just trying to not set themselves up for disappointment. The Spurs should fucking go for it.This. Jordan missed all of five regular season games in his three peat years iirc. Unless guys are injured or 37+ I don't see the point in resting guys so much.

GSH
04-02-2016, 07:50 PM

Exactly. The fact that it could happen in any game is the best case for avoiding risk when it doesn't matter.

resistanze
04-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Exactly. The fact that it could happen in any game is the best case for avoiding risk when it doesn't matter.

By that logic the Spurs should be resting every single game from now until the playoffs, since they're locked in the second seed.

Why is it important to rest players when 41-0 is on the line? Why not start now?

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 08:02 PM
By that logic the Spurs should be resting every single game from now until the playoffs, since they're locked in the second seed.

Why is it important to rest players when 41-0 is on the line? Why not start now?

They probably will rest the remaining 6 games. I doubt you'll see anyone playing big minutes and I'd be shocked if the core players aren't held out of two of the remaining games.

GSH
04-02-2016, 08:09 PM

By that logic the Spurs should be resting every single game from now until the playoffs... Why not start now?

You answered your own question, before you asked it.

resistanze
04-02-2016, 08:12 PM
You answered your own question, before you asked it.

...What?

How does this game right now matter?

resistanze
04-02-2016, 08:15 PM
This. Jordan missed all of five regular season games in his three peat years iirc. Unless guys are injured or 37+ I don't see the point in resting guys so much.

Yeah, this whole 'rest' thing really is being overdone nowadays, unless the Bulls were immune for some reason.

GSH
04-02-2016, 08:15 PM
...What?

How does this game right now matter?

If Pop plays any of his starters long minutes, trying to get 41-0 you'll have a point. Giving guys some run is one thing. Pushing the old guys to secure a record is another. The last two games, especially, are second nights of B2B's.

Yeah, this whole 'rest' thing really is being overdone nowadays, unless the Bulls were immune for some reason.

Pop's done pretty well for himself. But if you feel that strongly, apply for his job. Or.... sit at home typing about how stupid he is. Your choice, really.

resistanze
04-02-2016, 08:21 PM
If Pop plays any of his starters long minutes, trying to get 41-0 you'll have a point. Giving guys some run is one thing. Pushing the old guys to secure a record is another. The last two games, especially, are second nights of B2B's.

Giving an honest go at going undefeated at home is not mutually exclusive with 'pushing old guys'. The Spurs already have the best minutes management in the league, so you don't need to play Manu and Duncan 40 minutes in order to put out a competitive team that can win. I'm just saying there's no reason to sit out Kawhin Aldridge etc. entirely, and I hope Pop doesn't.

And the argument above was not playing key guys in 'meaningless games'. This game against Toronto is a meaningless game.

GSH
04-02-2016, 08:55 PM
And the argument above was not playing key guys in 'meaningless games'. This game against Toronto is a meaningless game.

I don't think you're that ignorant, which means you're just an argumentative motherfucker. I'm pretty sick of argumentative motherfuckers.

Guys need some run, to stay in game shape - and because you wouldn't want them going into the playoffs rusty. But the occasional night off helps keep the older guys' legs fresh. You disagree with any of that, so far?

If Pop is going to give guys a night off, the most likely time is the second night of a B2B. Any problems with that?

Tonight isn't the second night of a B2B, so he's giving them some run. Still with me?

The only thing you can't seem to grasp is that Pop just doesn't give a fuck about 41-0 at home, and you think it's a really big deal. He'll play guys in the way that he thinks will best get them ready for the playoffs. Anything else is in your head.

Now, if you want to just keep being an argumentative motherfucker, go ahead and have the last word. I'm more than done with you.

resistanze
04-02-2016, 09:10 PM
I don't think you're that ignorant, which means you're just an argumentative motherfucker. I'm pretty sick of argumentative motherfuckers.

Guys need some run, to stay in game shape - and because you wouldn't want them going into the playoffs rusty. But the occasional night off helps keep the older guys' legs fresh. You disagree with any of that, so far?

If Pop is going to give guys a night off, the most likely time is the second night of a B2B. Any problems with that?

Tonight isn't the second night of a B2B, so he's giving them some run. Still with me?

The only thing you can't seem to grasp is that Pop just doesn't give a fuck about 41-0 at home, and you think it's a really big deal. He'll play guys in the way that he thinks will best get them ready for the playoffs. Anything else is in your head.

Now, if you want to just keep being an argumentative motherfucker, go ahead and have the last word. I'm more than done with you.

You're getting vaginal over a message board. If you can't discuss a topic where others disagree with you, then shut the fuck up.

will_spurs
04-02-2016, 09:56 PM
The only thing you can't seem to grasp is that Pop just doesn't give a fuck about 41-0 at home

That's why Kawhi was still shooting FTs in a meaningless game with 20 seconds left, I suppose.

tmtcsc
04-02-2016, 10:00 PM
He could have rested them anyways. All the regular season accolades and streak bullshit only matters to GS.

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 10:34 PM

It's just playing the odds. You could buy a lottery your entire life & never win or you could hit the jackpot on your first purchase.

The rest isn't going to decrease the risk of injury by a significant margin but you are still decreasing the odd of getting injured.

resistanze
04-02-2016, 10:40 PM
That's why Kawhi was still shooting FTs in a meaningless game with 20 seconds left, I suppose.

:lol Yup, so meaningless Kawhi and LMA played 40 minutes a piece. Shit, when I said I wanted the Spurs to go for the record, I didn't even mean this far.

resistanze
04-02-2016, 10:41 PM
It's just playing the odds. You could buy a lottery your entire life & never win or you could hit the jackpot on your first purchase.

The rest isn't going to decrease the risk of injury by a significant margin but you are still decreasing the odd of getting injured.

Which is why like I said, the starters shouldn't have played at all tonight, if that was their goal.

Honestly, they have two more home games left. You can balance rest AND going for 2 more home wins.

$pursDynasty
04-02-2016, 10:54 PM
I think that tonight's game showed that the Spurs and Pop do care (at least a little) about the home record. Otherwise we would have seen more scrubs and less minutes by the main players. I for one am happy to see it. If this game meant nothing to the Spurs they wouldn't have played the players they played as much as they played them.

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Honestly, they have two more home games left. You can balance rest AND going for 2 more home wins.

Both OKC/Worriers will be visiting SA on the second night of a back-to-back so it couldn't have been scripted any better. OKC might not even send their starters since it will be the final game of the season & they have nothing to play for other than homecourt in the Finals.

I would assume Pop plays everyone at home but mails in the road games especially the final game of the season Dallas (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42737). There is a 3 tough road game coming up so it will be interesting who Pop leaves at home since there will be two game at altitude (@Utah/@Denver) then the TNT game @ Oakland.

My guess is that he will send at least LMA/Kawhi to Utah since it will be after a 2 days rest (chance for a full-practice then letting the Big 3 rest) but then sends Kawhi/LMA home & lets the backups deal w/ the Oakland/Denver B2B. If he want to give the starters reps before the Worriers come to visit then the Denver game would be an ideal warmup/scrimmage game especially if he sees something in the Worriers game he wants to work on/try out right away in an actual game.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Both OKC/Worriers will be visiting SA on the second night of a back-to-back so it couldn't have been scripted any better. OKC might not even send their starters since it will be the final game of the season & they have nothing to play for other than homecourt in the Finals.

I would assume Pop plays everyone at home but mails in the road games especially the final game of the season Dallas (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42737). There is a 3 tough road game coming up so it will be interesting who Pop leaves at home since there will be two game at altitude (@Utah/@Denver) then the TNT game @ Oakland.

My guess is that he will send at least LMA/Kawhi to Utah since it will be after a 2 days rest (chance for a full-practice then letting the Big 3 rest) but then sends Kawhi/LMA home & lets the backups deal w/ the Oakland/Denver B2B. If he want to give the starters reps before the Worriers come to visit then the Denver game would be an ideal warmup/scrimmage game.
HCA in the Finals could be a big enough deal to a team like that. Only thing is, they might be out of that race by then as they lose the tiebreaker outright to Cleveland and they're already a game behind.

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 11:02 PM
HCA in the Finals could be a big enough deal to a team like that. Only thing is, they might be out of that race by then as they lose the tiebreaker outright to Cleveland and they're already a game behind.

Cavs don't seem to care since they have been resting LeBron which has resulted in a couple of losses & OKC rested Durant when the lost to the Pistons.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Cavs don't seem to care since they have been resting LeBron which has resulted in a couple of losses & OKC rested Durant when the lost to the Pistons.
That being said, the @ Dallas game at the very end might be interesting. We might want to either win or lose that game to try and draw a specific opponent in the first round. Who would be the easiest matchup, assuming the Grizzlies don't fall off that hard?

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 11:11 PM
That being said, the @ Dallas game at the very end might be interesting. We might want to either win or lose that game to try and draw a specific opponent in the first round. Who would be the easiest matchup, assuming the Grizzlies don't fall off that hard?

In the final day of the season, the Rockets/Mavs games tip off at 5pm while the Grizz/Jazz/Blazers games tip off at 7:30pm. There could be a scenario where the Jazz want to avoid the Spurs (they have fared better against the Worriers) & tank against the Lakers who will most likely be going all out to win (rather than tank for ping-pongs) since it's will be Kirby's final game.

The Mavs will be the easiest matchup for the Spurs especially considering that Parsons is out for the season & Dirk has been shitty against LMA/West. It will also be a short travel.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-02-2016, 11:17 PM
In the final day of the season, the Rockets/Mavs games tip off at 5pm while the Grizz/Jazz/Blazers games tip off at 7:30pm. There could be a scenario where the Jazz want to avoid the Spurs (they have fared better against the Worriers) & tank against the Lakers who will most likely be going all out to win (rather than tank for ping-pongs) since it's will be Kirby's final game.

The Mavs will be the easiest matchup for the Spurs especially considering that Parsons is out for the season & Dirk has been shitty against LMA/West. It will also be a short travel.
Pacific time zone? lol

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Pacific time zone? lol

I'm in SoCal so the BSPN scoreboard is all in Pacific time.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-02-2016, 11:32 PM
I'm in SoCal so the BSPN scoreboard is all in Pacific time.
Explains it, lol.

$pursDynasty
04-06-2016, 12:25 AM
Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier. Pop will rest the Big 5 now Thursday

Hoops Czar
04-06-2016, 12:27 AM
This is why you don't just piss games away by resting all the players with an ounce of talent in the same game.

jbspurs
04-06-2016, 12:56 AM
Hoping for a Thursday rest and Sunday special...