PDA

View Full Version : Pop should stop his rest game because the team is dropping its guard with it..

spursistan
04-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Two shitty wins against depleted opponents that had no business being in games..That's why i hate the wholesale "DNP-REST" strategy for rest of season..Please stop this nonsense and start gearing up for the playoffs..

baseline bum
04-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Two shitty wins against depleted opponents that had no business being in games..That's why i hate the wholesale "DNP-REST" strategy for rest of season..Please stop this nonsense and start gearing up for the playoffs..

What, you're pissed that Boban was DNP tonight?

tmtcsc
04-02-2016, 09:59 PM

WTF?? Every major player played tonight.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-02-2016, 10:02 PM
We're not in midseason form due to all the resting crap

spursistan
I mean the previous games and the ensuing ones he is planning on forefeiting..we are fucking rusting up with this bullshit over-protection..

will_spurs

He's obviously talking about the recent road trip with a lot of rest for the starters, which lead to some players looking rusty tonight. Not sure I agree, as it's mostly the 2nd unit shitting the bed as usual, and those guys got plenty of PT recently...

apalisoc_9
04-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I dont mind the rest tbh. First round is just going to be practice anyway. Hope we get the depleted grizz

100%duncan
04-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I dont mind the rest tbh. First round is just going to be practice anyway. Hope we get the depleted grizz

Do they even have the chance of dropping to 7th

Kawhitstorm
04-02-2016, 10:07 PM

DNP-Rest isn't NECESSARILY to "rest" the starters but rather to give the backups EXTENDED playing time. It has paid off as Kyle now seem like a rotation player & Simmons seems to have regained his confidence although he won't be on the playoff roster.

Miller also got reps running the offense & it is also clear that K-Mart is only an emergency backup ala T-Mac.:lol

100%duncan
04-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Just checked, its better if the clipps get the grizz and we get the jazz. Portland takes a shot at OKC aswell.

tmtcsc
04-02-2016, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_uTbRTMIvw

apalisoc_9
04-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Do they even have the chance of dropping to 7th

Yeah..even 8th seed is possible. Every game they play from now on they are underdogs. They really only need to win one game to seal playoffs most likely..unless jazz, houston, mavs all win their reaming games..not going to happen

SpursFan86
04-02-2016, 10:22 PM
You guys say shit like this, but can you imagine what this board would be like if someone important got injured in one of these meaningless games? People would be calling for Pop's head and wondering why the hell the full team was playing.

It's difficult to balance making sure guys are rested/minimizing chances for injuries and making sure they're ready to go and geared up for the playoffs. Considering our first round opponent will likely have no shot in hell at beating us, I'd rather err on the side of caution and go into the playoffs a bit on the rusty side as opposed to having guys worn out or injured. It's not going to be like last year where we're getting thrown into the fire and playing a really solid team like the Clippers in the first round. We'll be playing someone like the Jazz/Grizzlies/Mavs/Blazers...not too worried about beating them even if guys are a little rusty to start out.

I would like to see Pop play everyone these last 2 home games though. Sit people in games like @Denver/Dallas/GS...not at home.

TheGreatYacht
04-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Regular season fans :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
04-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Fucking Diaw....

KenziE
04-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Fucking Diaw....

Diaw ? He wasnt even there

UNT Eagles 2016
04-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Diaw ? He wasnt even there
My bad :lol that was Grant Hill. Diaw was on Charlotte that year as per Wiki.

SAGirl
04-02-2016, 11:21 PM
LMA and Kawhi are ready to go. Dwest and Kyle for what it's worth are ready to go. TD was battling tonight defensively that's his role.
The shooters are streaky always. If anything Boris? He's really the guy that gets us a bucket in the paint if the bench is struggling with their jumpshots. Dwest really likes to pick and Pop, Boris was the guy who was missing tonight.

SpurPadre
04-03-2016, 12:13 AM
We only won by 7 with the Raptors missing their two best players. That's what OP is rightfully bothered about.

james evans
04-03-2016, 12:57 AM
I can understand Duncan and Ginobli resting, but resting Leonard is some fucking dumb shit. I dont think we'll ever see another Spurs player play 82 games again while popovich is the coach. Danny Green of all people definitely doesn't need any rest the way he's shot all season.

itzsoweezee
04-03-2016, 01:25 AM
That's the purpose of the first round, to get the team into the groove.

TampaDude
04-03-2016, 05:38 AM

Yup...I remember that season...why, Pop, why?

cutewizard
04-03-2016, 07:36 AM
relax, relax,

we Spurs fans need a "good fuck" >>>>>>>> thats the truth, hahahahaha

WE ARE THE ONES WITH SO MUCH STRESS!

didnt you read the body language in today's game??

they are all in good spirits......

so relllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxx xxxxx......

Uriel
04-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Leonard played 40 minutes. Aldridge played 38. Duncan played almost 30.

Pop's been ramping up the minutes for his starters to get their conditioning ready for the playoffs.

SpursFan86
04-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Was going to make a topic about this but figured I'd just post it in here instead since it's related: which games would you like to see Pop use for rest?

Utah - Everyone should play. We just had 2 nights off before the Toronto game, and then we have another 2 nights off before Utah on Tuesday

GS - Would like to see people play, but wouldn't be completely opposed to Pop sitting a few guys out just to eliminate the chance of GS making a "statement game"

Denver - 2nd night of a b2b, rest the big 3 but play Kawhi/LMA. Should still be enough to beat a Denver team who has nothing to play for at this point

GS - Play everyone and go for the record

OKC - same as above...it'll be OKC's last game of the season (by this time they'll already have the 3 seed locked up), and the 2nd game of a b2b for them. Good chance they rest some guys, so it's a very winnable game.

Dallas - call up Lalanne and Ndoye, tbh :lol No reason for many guys to be playing this one.

spursistan
04-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Was going to make a topic about this but figured I'd just post it in here instead since it's related: which games would you like to see Pop use for rest?

Utah - Everyone should play. We just had 2 nights off before the Toronto game, and then we have another 2 nights off before Utah on Tuesday

GS - Would like to see people play, but wouldn't be completely opposed to Pop sitting a few guys out just to eliminate the chance of GS making a "statement game"

Denver - 2nd night of a b2b, rest the big 3 but play Kawhi/LMA. Should still be enough to beat a Denver team who has nothing to play for at this point

GS - Play everyone and go for the record

OKC - same as above...it'll be OKC's last game of the season (by this time they'll already have the 3 seed locked up), and the 2nd game of a b2b for them. Good chance they rest some guys, so it's a very winnable game.

Dallas - call up Lalanne and Ndoye, tbh :lol No reason for many guys to be playing this one.

Cosign..

that's what i mean simply no rest for guys like Green/Mills/Diaw..they have not earned it, IMO..Let them get few more opportunities to play off Kawhi/LMA and hope they find a rhythm/stroke/etc...I might even include Parker beacuse it seems unlike, Manu/TD, rest doesn't seem do him any favors..he's looked terrifyingly bad even after 5 days of inaction..

Russo21
04-03-2016, 10:40 AM
That's the purpose of the first round, to get the team into the groove.
Tell that to the 2011 and 2015 Spurs, fuck, fuck! :bang

spursistan
04-03-2016, 10:52 AM
other than issue of rest, the Spurs have some seeding machinations to do..We have an interest in beating the Jazz to push them down to the Warriors..same thing with last game in Dallas..we could rest and give them a W if it means they will be 7th seed..otherwise i(m not interested in seeing them getting demolished by the Dubs..

Splits
04-03-2016, 01:05 PM
we Spurs fans need a "good fuck" >>>>>>>> thats the truth

Bend over, I'll give you.....

SAGirl

SouthernFried
04-03-2016, 01:40 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what we're doing with Parker.

Is he resting while still playing? Is he saving himself for the playoffs? Is he just feeling older and slower? Is this one of Pops CIA strategies, or the new Tony reality?

SpursFan86
04-03-2016, 01:51 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what we're doing with Parker.

Is he resting while still playing? Is he saving himself for the playoffs? Is he just feeling older and slower? Is this one of Pops CIA strategies, or the new Tony reality?

No offense, but have you not been watching basketball for the past year and a half? Tony hasn't played at a consistently high level since 2013. He was straight up awful for most of last year (particularly in the playoffs), and he's been pretty bad this year outside of the hot start he had in November. Even in 2014 he was nothing special.

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with him "saving himself" or dealing with injuries or anything like that. I don't think rest is the answer. He's just suffered a noticeable decline the past few years and is no longer a very good player. He'll have a throwback game every once in a while, but relying on him to consistently play at a high level is a recipe for disaster at this point. The key is him recognizing when he has it and when he doesn't, and not forcing things when it's clearly not his night.

SAGirl
04-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Bend over, I'll give you.....

SAGirl (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524)

It was funny Splits, I am cracking up laughing at home. :tu
:flag:

Budkin
04-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Yup...I remember that season...why, Pop, why?

Didn't we lose like 6 games in a row in the latter part of the season? We were being exposed every night and the Grizzlies were tanking just to get matched up with us. Then that happened.

Splits
04-03-2016, 07:46 PM
It was funny Splits, I am cracking up laughing at home. :tu
:flag:

:gpower

:makeout

TD 21
04-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Agreed. He's overdoing it and it's hurting the team. Even though it seems impossible, given paltry competition, they can't afford a repeat of the Mavs series in '14, or they won't have the legs to go the distance.

I knew last night would be a struggle, since it almost always is against the Raptors, plus I knew they'd be fired up. Valanciunas got to essentially be a 1st option, Powell got to create more, Wright got to play period, etc.

Still, the inability of this team to make open 3's, against elite and near elite teams, even at home, is alarming. I don't care how bad he's looked in limited viewing; why Martin continues to not get a sniff in these games, is beyond me. There was no point in signing him, if this is going to continue to be the case.

apalisoc_9
04-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Agreed. He's overdoing it and it's hurting the team. Even though it seems impossible, given paltry competition, they can't afford a repeat of the Mavs series in '14, or they won't have the legs to go the distance.

I knew last night would be a struggle, since it almost always is against the Raptors, plus I knew they'd be fired up. Valanciunas got to essentially be a 1st option, Powell got to create more, Wright got to play period, etc.

Still, the inability of this team to make open 3's, against elite and near elite teams, even at home, is alarming. I don't care how bad he's looked in limited viewing; why Martin continues to not get a sniff in these games, is beyond me. There was no point in signing him, if this is going to continue to be the case.

Disagree. This is the one time i fully support pop resting. The situation calls for it. Biggest thing is that they are probably going to win the first round..like 98% chance. Thats where you start warming up. You have 6 games left. Take the 4 serioisly and do whatever hell you want with the other two.

dabom
04-03-2016, 08:04 PM

The Spurs are back to gear 1 till the playoffs. You can clearly see players going through the motions. (except maybe the home games left)

And people need to chill on defense. That's how players get hurt. Trying to play lock down defense 24/7 is not a good idea.

pjjrfan
04-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Pop rested him the game before, which was game 81 why in heaven's name he played him in game 82 I have yet to figure out, but we paid for it, so forgive me if I just don't buy into Pop's plan as far as resting players.

TD 21
04-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Disagree. This is the one time i fully support pop resting. The situation calls for it. Biggest thing is that they are probably going to win the first round..like 98% chance. Thats where you start warming up. You have 6 games left. Take the 4 serioisly and do whatever hell you want with the other two.

It's not that I'm anti rest, it's that he's overdoing it and the team has clearly lost it's edge. They can and more than likely will regain it, but it's not a light switch.

Get a difficult match-up (there isn't one, but of the five, the Rockets and Trail Blazers are probably the closest), drop game one at home and all of a sudden, they could end up having to grind out a six game series. Unlike in '14, there won't be a Conference Quarter-Finals caliber opponent waiting for the them in the Conference Semi-Finals; they'll be a Conference Finals caliber one.

The Spurs are back to gear 1 till the playoffs. You can clearly see players going through the motions. (except maybe the home games left)

And people need to chill on defense. That's how players get hurt. Trying to play lock down defense 24/7 is not a good idea.

Yeah, but it's not that simple, to where they can just decide to start playing again and be in rhythm. Take the Raptors game, for example. They actually played hard and still struggled somewhat.

Basketball is a game of rhythm and you develop and maintain that through habits. The five game home stand they swept, no way they do that earlier in the season. It took building up to that point to produce that.

dabom
04-04-2016, 12:25 AM
It's not that I'm anti rest, it's that he's overdoing it and the team has clearly lost it's edge. They can and more than likely will regain it, but it's not a light switch.

Get a difficult match-up (there isn't one, but of the five, the Rockets and Trail Blazers are probably the closest), drop game one at home and all of a sudden, they could end up having to grind out a six game series. Unlike in '14, there won't be a Conference Quarter-Finals caliber opponent waiting for the them in the Conference Semi-Finals; they'll be a Conference Finals caliber one.

Yeah, but it's not that simple, to where they can just decide to start playing again and be in rhythm. Take the Raptors game, for example. They actually played hard and still struggled somewhat.

Basketball is a game of rhythm and you develop and maintain that through habits. The five game home stand they swept, no way they do that earlier in the season. It took building up to that point to produce that.

We were in rhythm last year and got owned. I'd rather rest and conserve. Always the best option.

TD 21
04-04-2016, 12:37 AM
We were in rhythm last year and got owned. I'd rather rest and conserve. Always the best option.

"We" were spent from three straight deep runs and having to bust a gut down the stretch. In addition, Parker and Splitter were banged up. This is completely different.

dabom
04-04-2016, 12:40 AM
"We" were spent from three straight deep runs and having to bust a gut down the stretch. In addition, Parker and Splitter were banged up. This is completely different.

So they needed rest is basically what you just said. :lol

Come on dude...

DMC
04-04-2016, 12:43 AM
I mean the previous games and the ensuing ones he is planning on forefeiting..we are fucking rusting up with this bullshit over-protection..
The opening round is where the tune-up begins. If you're worried about facing either Memphis or Dallas in the opener (or any other bottom level playoff team) and you think the extra few minutes of play would have changed anything, you need to stop watching basketball because you don't get it after all this time.

TD 21
04-04-2016, 12:46 AM
So they needed rest is basically what you just said. :lol

Come on dude...

Like I said, different circumstances. I also said, I'm not opposed to some rest down the stretch this season. Obviously, it made sense, but he's overdone it.

dabom
04-04-2016, 12:55 AM
Like I said, different circumstances. I also said, I'm not opposed to some rest down the stretch this season. Obviously, it made sense, but he's overdone it.

The players might be getting stale but I'd rather have rested players than injured players.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-04-2016, 01:00 AM
other than issue of rest, the Spurs have some seeding machinations to do..We have an interest in beating the Jazz to push them down to the Warriors..same thing with last game in Dallas..we could rest and give them a W if it means they will be 7th seed..otherwise i(m not interested in seeing them getting demolished by the Dubs..
Wouldn't like the Cockets to get in instead of the Jazz, though

JR3
04-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Had really nice tickets to the Jazz game and downgraded when I saw pop sitting everyone. Still lower bowl behind the Spurs bench but wasn't about to splurge on a meaningless road game that the Jazz will play their hearts out for. Especially since the Spurs could likely come back to Salt Lake City in the first round.

tbdog
04-04-2016, 01:08 PM
They are humans. They are not playing for anything. Not number 1 seed. Not keeping number 2 seed. They are not going to hustle and fight for loose balls. They are not going to risk injury for a single regular season game. With that in mind, that is the reason why we are not playing great.

Bartleby
04-04-2016, 01:34 PM
The opening round is where the tune-up begins. If you're worried about facing either Memphis or Dallas in the opener (or any other bottom level playoff team) and you think the extra few minutes of play would have changed anything, you need to stop watching basketball because you don't get it after all this time.

They are humans. They are not playing for anything. Not number 1 seed. Not keeping number 2 seed. They are not going to hustle and fight for loose balls. They are not going to risk injury for a single regular season game. With that in mind, that is the reason why we are not playing great.

Sums it up.

spursistan
04-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Called this shit...he absolutely took the team out of its rhythm.. :wakeup

spursistan
04-12-2016, 07:44 PM
give me Memphis, tbh..Don't want to play Dallas and Carlisle in this shitty form...