PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Richards

Atl Spur
04-03-2016, 09:30 AM
This guy will be a spur in the next year or two. He and Kawhi is the same age and I think the spurs aren't so much worried about his competition as they are in him honing in on a skill set. A 7ft1in mobile 4 that can shoot and also post up is the desire of everyone in todays NBA! Let's be clear, he will need an acclimation period but there are very few like him on the planet. This idea may be way off base but it seems real funny to me that they haven't traded his rights or he straight forced their hand to release him/give him the tryout if there wasn't a understanding in place. Only time will tell though!

Uriel
04-03-2016, 09:39 AM
:lol

RD2191
04-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Pass the weed.

Atl Spur
04-03-2016, 09:43 AM
I've expressed it in multiple post that our biggest advantage is our ability to post up these cute little offense's these days. We are the only team that choose to combat Golden States small deal with considerable size. This guy would be a great piece to add with LaMarcus and Boban next year replacing Matty B. LaMarcus could teach him for the next 3+ years as his heir apparent....

Atl Spur
04-03-2016, 09:44 AM
I respect your opinions if that's what your responses were :) We can revisit this discussion later and I will admit I was wrong if nothing materialize.

wildbill2u
04-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Richards seems to be something of a head case from what has been reported. He keeps moving from team to team in Europe without any progress in his game. For these reasons, I don't see him in the Spurs plans for the future.

Atl Spur
04-03-2016, 10:15 AM
If these reports are true.....why not just release him or why hasn't he asked for a release to pursue a career with another nba team being his skill set is sought after?

Atl Spur
04-03-2016, 10:16 AM
it's more to this story trust me........ there are head case's all over the NBA landscape

jyra
04-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Never say never..
Whiteside took a similar path before ending up being the player he is today.

I'm sure Richards would dominate the D-League if he wanted to come over but the pay is obviously much worse. I hope we can see him again at some point but I'm not getting my hopes up.

benefactor
04-03-2016, 10:53 AM
"Brilliant, but lazy."

-Dr. Octavious

JeffDuncan
04-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Lazy = unmotivated. There are ways to overcome that.

But..... Iran??

TXstbobcat
04-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Don't think Richards is in the future plans. Has been a major bust didn't show anything when he played in the SL for the Spurs in past years.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Richards has zero chance at ever being in the NBA. In fact he has zero chance to even play for a Euroleague team. He should continue tearing up the Iranian and Lebanese championships :lol

daslicer
04-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Judging by the these highlights he can hit 3's and has a back to the basket game granted his competition was a bunch of Arabs.

mzvewEFa9sY

cjw
04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
The only value Richards has is if the Spurs literally had no second round picks to trade and needed to give SOME consideration to another team in a deal that was a straight salary dump. Draft rights Lorbek style.

Solid D
04-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Should have started this thread on April 1.

Atl Spur
04-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Time will tell.....

Russ
04-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Judging by the these highlights he can hit 3's and has a back to the basket game granted his competition was a bunch of Arabs.

mzvewEFa9sY

Our Persian friends will not like that characterization . . .

Leetonidas
04-03-2016, 05:43 PM
random gnsf endorsing a shitty obscure player thread, nothing to see here

TheGreatYacht
04-03-2016, 05:45 PM
What everyone here thinks of Ryan Richards, that's what I think of ST's favorite kid, Bertans. :lol

They will never be on the Spurs.

Would take both over Bonner, though.

Russ
04-03-2016, 05:57 PM
What everyone here thinks of Ryan Richards, that's what I think of ST's favorite kid, Bertans. :lol

They will never be on the Spurs.

Would take both over Bonner, though.

Comparing Bertans to Ryan f**ing Richards is flat out absurd. :(

Agloco
04-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Reminds me of those KBP threads hyping up random Greek scrubs. :lol

lmbebo
04-03-2016, 10:28 PM
Our Persian friends will not like that characterization . . .

Looks like the game wasn't sold out.. What like 2k in the stands?

exstatic
04-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Time will tell.....

Time already has.

DMC
04-04-2016, 12:40 AM
I've expressed it in multiple post that our biggest advantage is our ability to post up these cute little offense's these days. We are the only team that choose to combat Golden States small deal with considerable size. This guy would be a great piece to add with LaMarcus and Boban next year replacing Matty B. LaMarcus could teach him for the next 3+ years as his heir apparent....
What GS game were you watching? In the 1st we got butt raped and in the 2nd they had 3 of their guys out and we sat Tim Duncan. I don't know what you're talking about with "post up these cute.." line.

DMC
04-04-2016, 12:41 AM

mzvewEFa9sY
When they blow up a roster it means something completely different.

benefactor
04-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Lazy = unmotivated. There are ways to overcome that.

But..... Iran??
He doesn't care enough to put the work in to take his game to the next level. Why do you think he couldn't even make another Euro squad and is playing in the towel head league?

benefactor
04-04-2016, 05:57 AM

mzvewEFa9sY
The same kinds of videos were circulating 6 years ago when he was doing the same thing to midgets in HS gyms. This is the only competition he will ever play against because he has no work ethic.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 06:13 AM

"Hey, I just discovered this guy for the first time. I'll go tell the guys who have been watching him play for the last six years!"

Richards had his shot. A spot on the Spurs was his to lose, and he was awful. He's spent all his time since then moving around to find the team in the little shit league that will pay him the most, and his game hasn't improved at all.

ceperez
04-04-2016, 06:15 AM
The same kinds of videos were circulating 6 years ago when he was doing the same thing to midgets in HS gyms. This is the only competition he will ever play against because he has no work ethic.

Well, at least there's a form NBA player that was guarding him on a couple of plays.

Talks about major minor league, look at the size of the stadium. A HS gym would be about the same size.

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Mr. View your incorrect. I'll give you some facts minus the BS fluff you seem to like. I'm from the East Side Of San Antonio born and raised, Spurs fan for the past 35yrs, U.S Army Veteran, College Grad, and presently works for a Bio Med company based in ATLANTA( hence ATLSPUR ).... I'm not a little boy here to match wits with you. I won't profess to be this or that on a message board in regards to my fandom; just know there aren't many bigger spurs fans than I! As far as Mr. Richards is concerned, I was merely stating he is what the NBA is looking for these days and curious to why NO one has asked to trade for him. He has a talent that translates........

Uriel
04-04-2016, 06:47 AM
The Spurs front office is brilliant, but Richards was one of their few mistakes. The talent and upside he had was unmistakeable. But the Spurs are usually known for being able to look beyond mere talent into the character of a person.

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 06:50 AM
Mr. Prez I stated above never mind the competition, he has a skill set and size that is unique. Is he NBA material? I don't know. It just seems something is going more than " He Sucks " or " He's A Head Case ". No interviews I've ever heard him provide sounds as if he is/was a bonehead. I would be interested to know what really went on with him.....

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Uriel, what did he do though that was horrible from a character standpoint? I remember him saying he wanted to play in the D-League expedite his path to the big team right? I think the spurs still see something in him and believe in him or they would have got rid of him. I also believe he would have asked to be released from their control.....

exstatic
04-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Mr. Prez I stated above never mind the competition, he has a skill set and size that is unique. Is he NBA material? I don't know. It just seems something is going more than " He Sucks " or " He's A Head Case ". No interviews I've ever heard him provide sounds as if he is/was a bonehead. I would be interested to know what really went on with him.....

People here have told you, but you refuse to listen.

exstatic
04-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Uriel, what did he do though that was horrible from a character standpoint? I remember him saying he wanted to play in the D-League expedite his path to the big team right? I think the spurs still see something in him and believe in him or they would have got rid of him. I also believe he would have asked to be released from their control.....

Why do you think there has to be some sort of "action" for the Spurs to be no longer interested? Spurs still hold the rights to many players overseas who will never see the NBA, going all the way back to 2001 with Javtokas.

ceperez
04-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Atl Spur .... yes he had size and an outside touch. However, his lack of success elsewhere evidenced by his need to play in Iran, tells you how far he has fallen since his draft.

There are plenty of places to play professional ball in the world. Plenty of places in Europe, Asia and Australia. To have gone all the way down to Iran seems to indicate that he doesn't have the skills to compete elsewhere and likely he plays for the money relative to a gig in the D-league. I guess he's got high expectations on his lifestyle and rather than working on his craft he choses instead to make some money instead.

Career history:

2009 Belfius Mons-Hainaut
2009–2011 Gran Canaria
2010 → BBC Monthey
2011–2012 Lugano Tigers
2012 Sukhumi
2012–2013 Asseco Prokom Gdynia
2013 Zepter Vienna
2013 Al Nasr Dubai
2013–2014 Ikaros Chalkidas
2014 Zepter Vienna
2014–2015 Körmend
2015 Azad University Tehran
2015 Guangxi Weizhuang Rhinos
2015–2016 Shahrdari Gorgan
2016–present Hekmeh

WTF! Journey man so early in his career.

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 07:26 AM
Mr. Prez I can respect that take and thanks for being a civil adult. Exstatic, contrary to your belief, I am listening my friend. No other player rights we hold is more valuable from a sheer talent perspective / skill set than his. That's why I posed the question why no other team that I know of ever inquired about his rights. I know Bud here in Atlanta could of took a flyer on him before taking one on Tavares if everything was what it appears. Either he truly know the kid is a lost cause or he already know the Spurs have a plan for him in the future. 7ft1 mobile 4's don't grow on trees..

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Like said before time will tell.......... He's only 24yrs old (about to turn 25 this year )

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Mr. View your incorrect. I'll give you some facts minus the BS fluff you seem to like. I'm from the East Side Of San Antonio born and raised, Spurs fan for the past 35yrs, U.S Army Veteran, College Grad, and presently works for a Bio Med company based in ATLANTA( hence ATLSPUR ).... I'm not a little boy here to match wits with you. I won't profess to be this or that on a message board in regards to my fandom; just know there aren't many bigger spurs fans than I! As far as Mr. Richards is concerned, I was merely stating he is what the NBA is looking for these days and curious to why NO one has asked to trade for him. He has a talent that translates........

Then I'll take a step back and explain rather than insult.

Richards has a lot of talent and no heart. None. He doesn't give effort. Since almost nobody in sports suddenly develops a work ethic, at this point it's safe to assume that he's never going to change. That's why nobody's showing any interest in him.

Not only is nobody asking to trade for him, nobody in any of the decent international leagues is interested in him. As for Spurstalk, most of us that have been watching and rooting for him over the last several years are tired of watching him shit away his potential.

The Spurs have other bigs in the pipeline that have a better chance, like Mulitinov , Cady Lalane and LJC. Not likely to ever make a roster or contribute, but definitely a better chance.

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 07:54 AM
I respect that explanation Sir. I hope your wrong but your probably not. I vaguely remember hearing this cat was ultra competitive right? Nevertheless I hope Mulitinov comes over this year along with Bertans.

ceperez
04-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Then I'll take a step back and explain rather than insult.

Richards has a lot of talent and no heart. None. He doesn't give effort. Since almost nobody in sports suddenly develops a work ethic, at this point it's safe to assume that he's never going to change. That's why nobody's showing any interest in him.

Not only is nobody asking to trade for him, nobody in any of the decent international leagues is interested in him. As for Spurstalk, most of us that have been watching and rooting for him over the last several years are tired of watching him shit away his potential.

The Spurs have other bigs in the pipeline that have a better chance, like Mulitinov , Cady Lalane and LJC. Not likely to ever make a roster or contribute, but definitely a better chance.

I agree with this assessment. Spurs have too many other bigs that have a lot more length and athleticism than Richards.

Although LJC is look like a bust despite being picked up in the 1st round!

benefactor
04-04-2016, 08:08 AM
He refused to play in the DLeague too iirc...which is pretty much a death sentence with the Spurs.

Chinook
04-04-2016, 08:30 AM
That was Livio who publicly said that. Richards may have refused as well, but I don't think that was ever quoted. Honestly, I wish the Spurs had just brought him over on a three-year deal in 2010. I think they might have done so had he not injured his shoulder that summer. Had that worked out, I think Richards would have either figured it and been a solid Spurs or at least have had a few years on the fringes of NBA rosters like Anthony Randolph did.

Make no mistake, AS, if the Spurs signed Richards to a contract (especially a multi-year one) this off-season, there'd be a ton of interest on this site. Some posters like me hyped him up for years, and the team taking even a token interest in him would be one of the big topics of the off-season. Dude has talent and is young enough to put it together, but he isn't trying to meet the Spurs halfway, so he's not in their plans.

Incidentally, the Spurs are seemingly burning bridges with most of their second-rounders. You have Bertans and Cady still being talked about. But besides them, there hasn't been a whole lot of news of them working with the others. Denmon is probably not going to even be on a SL roster. Thomas had to force his way into camp, only to get cut. Hanga seems to know he'll never be a Spur now. I have no idea what's going on with Dangubic.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 08:37 AM
I agree with this assessment. Spurs have too many other bigs that have a lot more length and athleticism than Richards.

Although LJC is look like a bust despite being picked up in the 1st round!

Richards has both of those in spades, but if he doesn't utilize them, then he's a poor man's Austin Daye.

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Ceprez, Richards length/athleticism is unmatched by anyone not named Livio Jean Charles. Dangubic might be that sleeper chinook!

Atl Spur
04-04-2016, 08:41 AM
That post up potential from Richards could be the hidden gem!

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 08:47 AM
That post up potential from Richards could be the hidden gem!

I guess at this point it's safe to assume that you're just not listening to what you're being told. He's not a hidden gem. He's just not any fucking good.

Ocotillo
04-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Isn't LJC 6'9"? Guess I need to go look it up, yes, went and looked it up and he is.

will_spurs
04-04-2016, 09:08 AM
If these reports are true.....why not just release him or why hasn't he asked for a release to pursue a career with another nba team being his skill set is sought after?

Releasing him brings nothing to the Spurs, why would they do it?

And he hasn't asked for a release because it doesn't matter as there's 0 interest in him in the NBA or in any serious league.

NameLess Scrub
04-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Isn't Ryan Richards kind of a nice country singer name? He could try that.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-04-2016, 09:36 AM
I have no idea what's going on with Dangubic.

Off topic, but Dangubic is playing very decently for his team Crvena Zvezda in the Euroleague. Started most of the games for them, but not playing too much - about 15 mins per - with little usage but great percentages. Something like 5 PPG on 60% shooting and 53% from 3. His team is doing quite well too, they've qualified for the final 8.

The currently best player the Spurs have stashed funnily is Printezis :)

wildbill2u
04-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Atl Spur .... yes he had size and an outside touch. However, his lack of success elsewhere evidenced by his need to play in Iran, tells you how far he has fallen since his draft.

There are plenty of places to play professional ball in the world. Plenty of places in Europe, Asia and Australia. To have gone all the way down to Iran seems to indicate that he doesn't have the skills to compete elsewhere and likely he plays for the money relative to a gig in the D-league. I guess he's got high expectations on his lifestyle and rather than working on his craft he choses instead to make some money instead.

Career history:

2009 Belfius Mons-Hainaut
2009–2011 Gran Canaria
2010 → BBC Monthey
2011–2012 Lugano Tigers
2012 Sukhumi
2012–2013 Asseco Prokom Gdynia
2013 Zepter Vienna
2013 Al Nasr Dubai
2013–2014 Ikaros Chalkidas
2014 Zepter Vienna
2014–2015 Körmend
2015 Azad University Tehran
2015 Guangxi Weizhuang Rhinos
2015–2016 Shahrdari Gorgan
2016–present Hekmeh

WTF! Journey man so early in his career.

Jeez, ATLSpur, if you can't explain why so many shit teams over his 'career' couldn't develop his 'unique talent' and apparently didn't fight/want to keep him on roster, then you relegate yourself to being a ST cultist. But don't worry, there are plenty of them.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Isn't LJC 6'9"? Guess I need to go look it up, yes, went and looked it up and he is.

Yeah, the legend of players that Spurstalk posters rave about, yet have apparently never watched play. :lol

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Releasing him brings nothing to the Spurs, why would they do it?

Doing so will apparently open the floodgates of all the NBA teams that are dying to bring him to their franchise. :/

ceperez
04-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Ceprez, Richards length/athleticism is unmatched by anyone not named Livio Jean Charles. Dangubic might be that sleeper chinook!

Lalanne, although shorter than Richards has a 4" more wingspan and higher standing reach than Richards. Reach counts more than height, just ask Kawhi.

ceperez
04-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the legend of players that Spurstalk posters rave about, yet have apparently never watched play. :lol

Livo has a one inch wingspan advantage over Richards and he is without a doubt a higher jumper and a much quicker jumper than Richards.

Richards is big, but he's got short arms and has the athleticism of most any European center. That's why he's unable to land a steady gig in Europe.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Lalanne, although shorter than Richards has a 4" more wingspan and higher standing reach than Richards. Reach counts more than height, just ask Kawhi.

And despite being larger, Lalanne is faster, more agile, and more explosive.

BackHome
04-04-2016, 12:19 PM
He had potential but tons of players have that. If you don't have the basketball smarts or the heart and desire to be a better player then you got no chance of making it in the NBA