PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen on Kawhi

daslicer
04-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Shaq interviewed Pippen on his podcast and asked the question about the Kawhi-Pippen comparisons. Pippen stated that Kawhi is more a half court dominating player while he was an open court player. Pippen also says he was more of a ball handler than Kawhi. The question is asked at the 22:16 mark.

http://www.podcastone.com/the-big-podcast-with-shaq?gclid=CPm76a-F88sCFdgUgQod7zwC8A

Spurtacular
04-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Pippen already prepared for that: Rent free :lmao

PrimeMinister
04-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Eh he's more Michael

Kawhitstorm
04-04-2016, 01:37 AM
Eh he's more Michael

I guess you could say Iggy is the modern day Pippen & Kawhi is the modern day MJ.

TheGreatYacht
04-04-2016, 05:05 AM
I guess you could say Iggy is the modern day Pippen & Kawhi is the modern day MJ.
Goddammn. This era really is shitty :lol

Uriel
04-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Is Kawhi already better than Pippen?

boutons_deux
04-04-2016, 06:42 AM
Pippen also says his Bulls would sweep the Warriors

ceperez
04-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Pippen also says his Bulls would sweep the Warriors

I don't know about sweep, but definitely could win against the Warriors.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 07:33 AM

Based on the year and a half that Jordan sat out, I have to say yes. Better teammate, better scorer, better winner.

JohnnyMax
04-04-2016, 07:37 AM
https://overcast.fm/+EsHd4LD0Q/22:16

Dro210
04-04-2016, 08:05 AM

Yea... He passed him last year. The Pippen comparison is outdated. We're looking at Mike these days.

BSfromTX
04-04-2016, 08:24 AM
I don't know about sweep, but definitely could win against the Warriors.

Pippen never really had to play much with the new rules either. But... What would Jordan have done under today defensive rules? He would torch GS. Not only on the perimeter but the block too.

Curry would have had a few more injuries too if he played in the 90s

tmtcsc
04-04-2016, 08:34 AM
I guess you could say Iggy is the modern day Pippen

You could say it but you'd be wrong in my opinion. There's only been one MJ too. Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway and Kobe Bryant were all supposed to be the second coming but none of them were MJ. Off the court, you won't find a bigger piece of shit as a human being but on the court, he was the best.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 08:41 AM
You could say it but you'd be wrong in my opinion. There's only been one MJ too. Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway and Kobe Bryant were all supposed to be the second coming but none of them were MJ. Off the court, you won't find a bigger piece of shit as a human being but on the court, he was the best.

Grant Hill actually lived up to the hype. He was getting better every year, and he had the same kind of drive to win. He ground his ankle to powder trying to win a playoff series for a team he was leaving.

PublicOption
04-04-2016, 02:16 PM
kawhi is a nicer latrell sprewell.

DMC
04-04-2016, 04:25 PM
People really caught feelings over this? KL isn't anywhere near Pippen yet but he's got a pretty good head of steam.

Kawhitstorm
04-04-2016, 06:54 PM
kawhi is a nicer latrell sprewell.

Spree was super athletic, built like Kobe & couldn't rebound like Kawhi. WestBrick is the closest thing to a young Sprewell.

Kawhi has Carmelo's offensive game & body but Pippen's length & defensive intensity.

tmtcsc
04-04-2016, 07:03 PM
and he had the same kind of drive to win.

https://media.giphy.com/media/B9rldJ7drZINa/giphy.gif

Sec24Row7
04-04-2016, 07:07 PM
I have a hard time saying that :claw is better than 33 yet.

Pippen was a RIDICULOUS defender and good scorer for 8+ years.

:claw could get there, but he has a long way to go.

daslicer
04-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Put Kawhi on the Sixers and they wouldn't even post 37 wins

How many games would the Jazz win with Kawhi?

tholdren
04-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Yea... He passed him last year. The Pippen comparison is outdated. We're looking at Mike these days.
go away

DMX7
04-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Bullshit, the bulls would not sweep.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 08:37 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/B9rldJ7drZINa/giphy.gif

You disagree, Ice?

GSH
04-04-2016, 09:01 PM

The stats say he is.

Kawhi has a career EFG% of .554 (.571 this season) - the BEST season Pippen ever had was .529. That's a big offensive stat, IMO.

Pippen played more minutes per game, for a lot of his career, than Kawhi has played. So looking at Per36 stats (and leaving out Pippen's declining years):

Kawhi with 23.6 Points Per36 this season. Pippen's best season was 20.7 points Per36.
RB's, steals, and blocks are pretty comparable.
Pippen dished out more AST's, but committed almost twice as many TO's.
Kawhi getting to the line 4.9 times Per36 - about the same as Pippen's best. Kawhi shooting .887 from the FT line. Pippen was a career .704.

Pippen's career included playing with MJ, but also gave him a chance to distinguish himself without Jordan. Nothing changed drastically. The only place you could say Pippen was superior was his AST numbers. And that's comparing 5th year Kawhi to prime Pippen. If Kawhi's career-arc is similar to Pippen's, it won't even be close in another couple of years. But you could still make a case that Kawhi has an edge right now - at least if the numbers mean anything.

steeledl
04-04-2016, 09:18 PM

�������� Wut ?

tmtcsc
04-04-2016, 10:16 PM
You disagree, Ice?

I don't know man, MJ's drive to win was legendary. I know Hill was committed to doing his best and playing through injuries but MJ had another gear and intensity when it came to winning. Manu Ginobili's drive to win is intense too. You just never see the guy take plays off.

tmtcsc
04-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Kawhi has a terrific turn around jumper and mid-range game to go along with his improved 3 pt shot. He's a fantastic player. It's hard to compare him to Pippen because he always had MJ by his side. He was a badass too.

Kawhi's games 3 & 4 against Miami during the 2014 Championship run showed what he could do on the biggest stage. He bounced back from 2 sub par games and led the team to victory.

tholdren
04-04-2016, 10:21 PM
lol retard spurs fans

Obstructed_View
04-05-2016, 03:29 AM
I don't know man, MJ's drive to win was legendary. I know Hill was committed to doing his best and playing through injuries but MJ had another gear and intensity when it came to winning. Manu Ginobili's drive to win is intense too. You just never see the guy take plays off.

Yeah, yeah, okay. I tried to bluster my way out of it, but I hereby retract the statement for its ridiculousness. I just remember him scoring 36 points on a bad ankle for that shitty Pistons team that quit on him in the playoffs and I get angry and feel the need to defend his honor.

Jordan was and is a damaged human being which is why he operates the way he does. Hill would have been a team-first Kobe. He'd have been the second best shooting guard behind Jordan if he'd stayed healthy, and it would have driven the Kobefans crazy.

dbreiden83080
04-05-2016, 05:32 AM
Scottie compared himself to Lebron? :lol

DeRozan m8
04-05-2016, 06:20 AM
Scottie compared himself to Lebron? :lol

He's two thirds better than LeBron tbh

tmtcsc
04-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Yeah, yeah, okay. I tried to bluster my way out of it, but I hereby retract the statement for its ridiculousness. I just remember him scoring 36 points on a bad ankle for that shitty Pistons team that quit on him in the playoffs and I get angry and feel the need to defend his honor.

Jordan was and is a damaged human being which is why he operates the way he does. Hill would have been a team-first Kobe. He'd have been the second best shooting guard behind Jordan if he'd stayed healthy, and it would have driven the Kobefans crazy.

I agree. It's amazing Hill ever came back from his injuries to be a solid contributor for Phoenix. He had it all but wasn't as selfish as Kobe.

ginobilized
04-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Kawhi reminds me of a hybrid of Dr. J, Pippen and James Worthy.....that is a badass combo.
Kawhi shoots the 3 better than any of them already. Sky's the limit for this kid.

J_Paco
04-05-2016, 04:57 PM
People really caught feelings over this? KL isn't anywhere near Pippen yet but he's got a pretty good head of steam.

Completely disagree, man. He hasn't reached the peak of his abilities, yet, but Kawhi is already Pippen's equal everywhere on the court except for playmaking and ballhandling. I definitely think he's already better than Pippen (at his peak) on the offensive end. Kawhi is more versatile and can shoot from outside which was never Pippen's strength. Pippen was also a little bit more athletic, but not by a big enough amount for it to matter. I definitely think Kawhi could surpass him career wise with how his trajectory is headed.

YGWHI
04-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Completely disagree, man. He hasn't reached the peak of his abilities, yet, but Kawhi is already Pippen's equal everywhere on the court except for playmaking and ballhandling. I definitely think he's already better than Pippen (at his peak) on the offensive end. Kawhi is more versatile and can shoot from outside which was never Pippen's strength. Pippen was also a little bit more athletic, but not by a big enough amount for it to matter. I definitely think Kawhi could surpass him career wise with how his trajectory is headed.

Who knows but Kawhi-24-years-old looks a lot better than Pippen-24-years-old, the same with Kawhi's individual 5th season>>> Pippen 5th season.

Don't trust those guys who keep saying "Kawhi isn't..." "He won't be..." "He isn't playing at that level..." "He will never reach that level..." I wouldn't bet against Kawhi Leonard.

:claw

J_Paco
04-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Who knows but Kawhi-24-years-old looks a lot better than Pippen-24-years-old, the same with Kawhi's individual 5th season>>> Pippen 5th season.

Don't trust those guys who keep saying "Kawhi isn't..." "He won't be..." "He isn't playing at that level..." "He will never reach that level..." I wouldn't bet against Kawhi Leonard.

:claw

He isn't as naturally gifted as some of the all-time great players, but like Bird (but with possibly better physical tools) he can likely close the gap with hard work and sheer "force of will" as they say.

Amazing that we are even contemplating this with a guy projected as a 'tweener forward without a reliable jump shot coming out of college. He's already far surpassed most people's projects for him and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. Crazy, man......

Benoit
04-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Can you guys imagine Scottie getting torched by Joe Ingles?? lmao

Down Under
04-05-2016, 11:18 PM
He'll pass him sooner or later. Leonard is a much better shooter - Pippen was pretty ordinary. Leonard is having to defend better athlete's with harder rules and is still having more impact IMO. His ball handling keeps improving and so will his playmaking