PDA

View Full Version : Does coach Popovich deserve coach of the year?

ivanfromwestwood
04-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Record-setting season and all while changing the identity of the team yet again.

timtonymanu
04-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Pop or Brad Stevens

dabom
04-03-2016, 08:13 PM
This a tough one.

DMC
After getting LMA in the off season it's going to be hard for Pop to pull that award away from some token recipient who just did "good" with what they had.

dabom
You have to give it to the 70 win team.

ivanfromwestwood
04-03-2016, 08:14 PM
I think it's time they just named the award after him

ffadicted
04-03-2016, 08:14 PM
would be kind of a joke to give it to Kerr imo

ivanfromwestwood
04-03-2016, 08:15 PM
This is true. It has to go to Steve Kerr. The Warriors team to me though is the same as last year. Coach pop did a lot more managing with his team and had almost equal success

dabom
04-03-2016, 08:16 PM
You don't have too many 70 win teams no matter what.

dabom
04-03-2016, 08:17 PM
No matter how much you want the Celtics to get it, the MEDIA will vote everything GSW.

baseline bum
04-03-2016, 08:21 PM
No way Kerr can get it missing half the season. I think Pop has to be the frontrunner, though yeah, Stevens can make a really good case given what he is doing with a team full of castaways from other teams.

DMC
04-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Not when they are defending champions and their coach was out half the year. A player couldn't get MVP if he missed half the season, so neither should a coach get CotY under the same circumstances. GS won more games without Kerr this season than with him. They won 67 games last year. So at most this year they'll be what, 6 or so games better?

tholdren
04-03-2016, 08:24 PM
yes.

apalisoc_9
04-03-2016, 08:26 PM
I dont know..stotts might win with his gimmicky structure.

DMC
04-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Terry Stotts is likely in line as well. Lost everything basically and still is looking pretty good.

Seventyniner
04-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Pop will get 2nd by a mile in both directions.

Drachen
04-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Didn't walton have a better record than Kerr?

SouthernFried
04-03-2016, 09:05 PM
If the Spurs win it all, I think POP will have accomplished one of the greatest coaching jobs in NBA history. He has almost completely changed who the Spurs are...in just one season. With all the roster changes and totally different style of basketball, if he wins it all...it will be one of the most amazing feats I've ever seen from a coach.

Regardless of whether he wins coach-of-the-year honors or not.

What has Kerr actually done? His team can win with, or without him.

Joseph Kony
04-03-2016, 09:09 PM
He probably does considering the fact that Kerr missed half the season and Warriors did the same under Walton basically. But the award will likely be given to either Terry Stotts or Brad Stevens imo

DocDoc
04-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Brad Stevens or Terry Stotts, or even Dave Jerger or Alvin Gentry for remaining competitive with no players.

cd98
04-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Idk. But RC should get Exec of the Year. A lot of brainiacs thought LMA couldn't make it in the Spurs system.

100%duncan
04-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Should be named after Pop when he retires

100%duncan
04-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Idk. But RC should get Exec of the Year. A lot of brainiacs thought LMA couldn't make it in the Spurs system.

I think this one's locked already.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Brad Stevens or Terry Stotts, or even Dave Jerger or Alvin Gentry for remaining competitive with no players.

Um, Pelicans are deep in the lotto last time I looked. :lol

It's Stevens or Stotts to me. Kerr only coached half the season.

Hoops Czar
04-03-2016, 09:45 PM
would be kind of a joke to give it to Kerr imo

Have they ever given this award out to a coach who coached half a season?

Benoit
04-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Should be Luke and Kerr as co-coach of the year

apparently the league is looking into letting it happen according to our announcers

lilbthebasedgod
04-03-2016, 09:51 PM
No, Steve Kerr easily.

Luke Walton may have it too if they allow it.

Hoops Czar
04-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Should be Luke and Kerr as co-coach of the year

apparently the league is looking into letting it happen according to our announcers

No, Steve Kerr easily.

Luke Walton may have it too if they allow it.

lilbthebasedgod
04-04-2016, 12:54 AM
Yeah because its totally unreasonable to think that a coach who may be leading their team to the best record ever and a coach that led a team to a stellar record without the head coach even around deserve more recognition.

SURGE
04-04-2016, 01:35 AM
I think Pop deserves it but Terry Stotts gets it

Spurtacular
04-04-2016, 02:06 AM
No way Kerr can get it missing half the season. I think Pop has to be the frontrunner, though yeah, Stevens can make a really good case given what he is doing with a team full of castaways from other teams.

The Warriors broadcasters seemed to think Kerr was a lock if GS broke the record.

Spurtacular
04-04-2016, 02:06 AM
I think Pop deserves it but Terry Stotts gets it

F that, tbh. No Tom Rivers awards for leading a team to a low seed.

apalisoc_9
04-04-2016, 02:30 AM
Another not named coach that im sure casuals would never consider is steve clifford. Hes done an amazing job this year

Thomas82
04-04-2016, 04:43 AM
Pop or Brad Stevens

Those would be my 2 choices.

Thomas82
04-04-2016, 04:45 AM
If the Spurs win it all, I think POP will have accomplished one of the greatest coaching jobs in NBA history. He has almost completely changed who the Spurs are...in just one season. With all the roster changes and totally different style of basketball, if he wins it all...it will be one of the most amazing feats I've ever seen from a coach.

Regardless of whether he wins coach-of-the-year honors or not.

What has Kerr actually done? His team can win with, or without him.

+1

Obstructed_View
04-04-2016, 06:17 AM

:lmao

I bet he sat for like 2 minutes to try to make it less obvious.

will_spurs
04-04-2016, 06:40 AM
Kerr was robbed last year already. I can't see him not getting it this time around.

Proxy
04-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Kerr was robbed last year already. I can't see him not getting it this time around.

can a player win MVP missing half the season?

Spur|n|Austin
04-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Who's coach only coached half the season?

will_spurs
04-04-2016, 01:16 PM
can a player win MVP missing half the season?

Who's coach only coached half the season?

Obviously the coaching put in place survives the coach not being on the bench all the time. Walton was just reaping what Keer had sowed last season when he should have won COY. He won't get snubbed twice you can be sure of that.

SpursFan86
04-04-2016, 01:24 PM
I think one of Stotts, Clifford, or Stevens will get it. Portland and Charlotte have both far exceeded everyone's expectations coming into this season, and Stevens is just an incredibly good coach.

Kerr missed half the season - it'd be ridiculous to give it to him.

Pop has obviously done a great job but I think the additions of Aldridge/West will make people hesitant to give it to him. People probably view our success as having mostly to do with those additions + Kawhi breaking out rather than Pop's coaching. Plus there's probably a bit of voter fatigue considering Pop has won it 3 times already.

timtonymanu
04-04-2016, 01:33 PM
I think one of Stotts, Clifford, or Stevens will get it. Portland and Charlotte have both far exceeded everyone's expectations coming into this season, and Stevens is just an incredibly good coach.

Kerr missed half the season - it'd be ridiculous to give it to him.

Pop has obviously done a great job but I think the additions of Aldridge/West will make people hesitant to give it to him. People probably view our success as having mostly to do with those additions + Kawhi breaking out rather than Pop's coaching. Plus there's probably a bit of voter fatigue considering Pop has won it 3 times already.

I forgot about Charlotte. Batum ended up being a key addition for them especially with MKG still out. And Kemba has had a breakout year.

resistanze
04-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Probably Stotts. But it is strange that the Warriors may go 140-24 in two seasons with no COTY award to show for it.

Proxy
04-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Obviously the coaching put in place survives the coach not being on the bench all the time. Walton was just reaping what Keer had sowed last season when he should have won COY. He won't get snubbed twice you can be sure of that.

Wouldn't be surprised if you're right, but it would be bullshit if that happened.

will_spurs
04-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if you're right, but it would be bullshit if that happened.

Actually I'd be surprised if the Warriors didn't grab all 3 major awards. Kawhi will be lucky to get a 2nd DPOY, given the media's infatuation with Golden State.

DAF86
04-04-2016, 02:39 PM
I would give it to Kerr as a make up for last year, tbh.

Proxy
04-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Actually I'd be surprised if the Warriors didn't grab all 3 major awards. Kawhi will be lucky to get a 2nd DPOY, given the media's infatuation with Golden State.

From a money-making standpoint, it'd be a nice selling point to have 2-time MVP against 2-time DPOY.

Micro-representations of their respective teams. Historically good offense v historically good defense.

will_spurs
04-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Micro-representations of their respective teams. Historically good offense v historically good defense.

Yes, that's the only thing (historically good D) that might save Kawhi's bid at this stage.

spursistan
04-04-2016, 04:03 PM

yeah seems like the NBA knows exactly who they want to crown..a first salvo :lol..

SpursFan86
04-04-2016, 04:07 PM

yeah seems like the NBA knows exactly who they want to crown..a first salvo :lol..

Assuming that means they're both listed separately and not as a single option, that all but guarantees it'll be going to a non-Warriors coach, no?

daslicer
04-04-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm going to be bold and say Luke Walton is going to be a shitty head coach. He strikes me as the typical assistant that gets hyped up from being on a championship team ala Rambis,Shaw, Jim Cleamons.

spursistan
04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Assuming that means they're both listed separately and not as a single option, that all but guarantees it'll be going to a non-Warriors coach, no?
my guess "both" should be a single option..what kind of silly game to have them seperately when the NBA officially counts Luke's coached wins as Kerr's :lol

spursistan
04-04-2016, 04:21 PM
I would vote Kerr, tbh...if winning 67 and +70 games in two consecutive seasons doesn't get you the COY, then you might as well scrap that award..

NameLess Scrub
04-04-2016, 04:26 PM
I would vote Kerr, tbh...if winning 67 and +70 win for two consecutive seasons doesn't get you the COY, then might as well scrap the award..

Depends on how much credit it's given to the players.

Anyway, I expect Kerr to win, alone or co-winner.

SpursFan86
04-04-2016, 04:33 PM
my guess "both" should be a single option..what kind of silly game to have them seperately when the NBA officially counts Luke's coached wins as Kerr's :lol

But how the hell do you give "coach of the year" award to 2 different coaches? Even if they're on the same team, that's just stupid IMO.

I would vote Kerr, tbh...if winning 67 and +70 games in two consecutive seasons doesn't get you the COY, then you might as well scrap that award..

He should've won it last year, but giving it to him this year is a bit ridiculous...you can't miss half the season and win COTY. That's just absurd to me.

DMC
04-04-2016, 04:34 PM
They don't vote 2 seasons so it indeed does not get you that award. Phil has ONE award, ONE. He has more rings than he can wear.

Kerr hasn't done anything this season. His chance was last season when he won 67 games, but since the Warriors were a playoff caliber team already, he doesn't get much credit for doing what Pop does which is to reinvent the entire program AND be historically successful in the same season.. only like the 4th time Pop has totally rebuilt his system on the fly in the last 20 years. You put Harden and Howard in Houston and they barely scrape by with 50 wins or so, and cannot get close to a ring. You had Harden, Durant and Westbrook on the same team at the same time, and couldn't beat Lebron James in his 2nd year in Miami with a completely rebuilt team. Then you put Tiago Splitter and waived Boris Diaw and waived Patty Mills along with waived Danny Green alongside the big 3 and a newcomer named Kawhi Leonard and you win a championship, and you make the WCF three years in a row, and you make the Finals twice.

I hope the trend of rewarding lucky coaches ends soon. The Avery Johnson, George Karl, Coach Bud (yeah he's not that great of a coach let's be honest) feel good shit is cute but the award should go to the best coach every year. You wouldn't give Damian Lillard the MVP just because the Blazers made the playoffs despite losing half their roster. Why give Kerr the CotY for sitting at home half the season watching a rookie coach tell everyone "get Steph the ball"?

will_spurs
04-04-2016, 04:37 PM
But how the hell do you give "coach of the year" award to 2 different coaches? Even if they're on the same team, that's just stupid IMO.

The same way EOY actually rewards a whole FO, COY should reward the whole coaching staff. It's not like the coach is alone in a vacuum. Actually a coach gets to pick most if not all his assistants, and that's part of the job too.

daslicer
04-04-2016, 04:42 PM

Phil got 72,69,62 wins from '96-'98. Should he have gotten 3 COY's in a row?

Budkin
04-05-2016, 10:24 AM
You know they are going to buck common sense and give it to Kerr.

will_spurs
04-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Phil got 72,69,62 wins from '96-'98. Should he have gotten 3 COY's in a row?

Actually he got it once (the 72 wins year), and he could have had it twice more (instead of Riley and Brown) and nobody would have anything to say about it...

Obstructed_View
04-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I never quite understand how a guy can deserve MVP when his teammates win DPOY or 6MOY or MIP, his coach wins COY and his GM wins EOY, but the NBA writers tend to blow their load on one team.

It might be Kerr's to lose, but I can't see how anyone can realistically make a case for a coach who has a worse W/L record than his own assistant the year he's given the award.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2016, 10:42 AM
And the answer to the question is no. Pop doesn't deserve COY. He has the greatest (Don't you FUCKING DARE call him "two-way") player in the league.

daslicer
04-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Actually he got it once (the 72 wins year), and he could have had it twice more (instead of Riley and Brown) and nobody would have anything to say about it...

Riley deserved it in '97 the heat went from 42 wins to 60 wins within 1 season which was a huge leap. Also Bird got the award in '98 and he also deserved it since the pacers missed the playoffs a year earlier but under Bird that year they finished in second place in the East.

will_spurs
04-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Riley deserved it in '97 the heat went from 42 wins to 60 wins within 1 season which was a huge leap. Also Bird got the award in '98 and he also deserved it since the pacers missed the playoffs a year earlier but under Bird that year they finished in second place in the East.

I'm not saying they didn't deserve it but there are always several good cases every year. I don't think anybody would say Phil having 3 COY instead of 1 would be undeserved...

urunobili
04-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Stevens or Walton are more deserving tbh

TheDoctor
04-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Pop or Stevens. You can say the Spurs are winning because the adding of LMA and DW, well of course, but coaching matters. LMA is having arguably his most efficient season and Pop is 100% behind that. He puts LMA in positions where he can thrive and succeed.

Having 2 coaches from the same team is dumb and actually will hurt their chances. The votes will split.

YGWHI
04-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Memphis lost his Big3, Conley, ZBo, Gasol...Portland lost their all starting lineup in the offseason except Dame...I wonder if Pop/Spurs could get #5 or #6 seed without Kawhi and..LMA...and one of Tim/Parker/Manu in the season.