PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili's Play

Spur|n|Austin
04-06-2016, 12:00 AM
Can we cheers to Manu?

This guy could be our Ray Allen this year. He's like an aged Laborum Torrontes.

DMC
04-06-2016, 12:04 AM
I must not be cultured enough since I have no fucking idea who Laborum Torrontes is.

SAGirl
04-06-2016, 12:04 AM
:cheer

Dex
04-06-2016, 12:18 AM
Can we cheers to Manu?

This guy could be our Ray Allen this year. He's like an aged Laborum Torrontes.

:toast Still my third favorite player ever behind Timmy and Admiral. Been a treat to watch him throughout his career. Take in these games, Spurs fans...they could be his last.

cutewizard
04-06-2016, 05:19 AM
manu the christ, tbh

Fireball
04-06-2016, 05:24 AM
need to finish the first two playoff rounds in maximum 10 games ... otherwise he will not be fresh enough when it counts

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-06-2016, 07:50 AM
That injury was perfect timing. Manu needed the rest as he looked spent at that point. If Manu plays like this this playoffs, the Spurs should be in the championship game.

And no shame in taking down to the wire against the Jazz. They are fighting for their playoffs lives right now and almost beat GS last week. This was a very good test for the Spurs and Co.

hater
04-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Hoping he can have a decent playoffs to make up for the abortion of last year tbh

Chinook
04-06-2016, 08:14 AM
I'm glad Manu is shooting well, as it makes it much easier to play him with Anderson. But I haven't liked his passing since he's come back. His A:TO has gone from 1.94 to 1.36, and he's gone for about six assists per 36 to about four. If he can keep up the scoring efficiency, he'll be more than useful in the playoffs, but he needs a play-maker next to him, which puts Anderson above Martin for the fourth-wing minutes.

SpursFan86
04-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Shooting 44% from 3 post ASB :tu Also find it interesting that he's shooting noticeably better on the road vs. at home (44% vs. 36%) this season.

It'd be huge if he could continue shooting 40+% from deep...especially considering Green can't buy a 3 at this point.

MarCowMar
04-06-2016, 08:37 AM
It was great to see him come in last night. He pushes the team to test the limits of their passing. It's risky, but better than making routine, easy passes that yield nothing.

And Ginobili has this Matrix, see-into-the-future thing where his passes cover the distance of two regular player passes.

hater
04-06-2016, 09:03 AM
It was great to see him come in last night. He pushes the team to test the limits of their passing. It's risky, but better than making routine, easy passes that yield nothing.

And Ginobili has this Matrix, see-into-the-future thing where his passes cover the distance of two regular player passes.

The Matrix must have been all fucked up in 2013 then :lol

NameLess Scrub
04-06-2016, 09:19 AM
I must not be cultured enough since I have no fucking idea who Laborum Torrontes is.

It does sound like a made up name.

NameLess Scrub
04-06-2016, 09:26 AM
I would certainly like Manu to pull a Ray Allen and get a random pass for a dream crushing 3.

ElNono
04-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Not just his shooting, his defense and rebounding has been top notch... :toast

SPURt
04-06-2016, 10:01 AM
:toast Still my third favorite player ever behind Timmy and Admiral. Been a treat to watch him throughout his career. Take in these games, Spurs fans...they could be his last.
+∞

Proxy
04-06-2016, 10:02 AM

haha, wine as far as I can see

JeffDuncan
04-06-2016, 10:19 AM
I would certainly like Manu to pull a Ray Allen and get a random pass for a dream crushing 3.

All I remember of him in that series is him making random passes for turnovers.

But it's Manu, and you have to take the bad with the good. Because when he's good, he is extremely good indeed. I love watching him play, even if I do have to grit my teeth and cross my fingers when he's on the court. haha

beirmeistr
04-06-2016, 12:15 PM
All I remember of him in that series is him making random passes for turnovers.

But it's Manu, and you have to take the bad with the good. Because when he's good, he is extremely good indeed. I love watching him play, even if I do have to grit my teeth and cross my fingers when he's on the court. haha

Manu is the only player that can make both headcoaches shit their pants when he checks in on the court.

tmtcsc
04-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Manu has another year left in him with this style of play. Tim - not so much. Two bum knees makes things not so fun for him.

Splits
04-06-2016, 12:24 PM
It'd be the least he could do after costing Tim 2 titles.

DarrinS
04-06-2016, 12:30 PM
It'd be the least he could do after costing Tim 2 titles.

Well, he helped Tim get 4 of his 5.

SAGirl
04-06-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm glad Manu is shooting well, as it makes it much easier to play him with Anderson. But I haven't liked his passing since he's come back. His A:TO has gone from 1.94 to 1.36, and he's gone for about six assists per 36 to about four. If he can keep up the scoring efficiency, he'll be more than useful in the playoffs, but he needs a play-maker next to him, which puts Anderson above Martin for the fourth-wing minutes.
Honestly, he's been spotting up and cutting off the ball more. POP is putting the ball more and more in Anderson's hands and Patty (for better or worse with Patty), but he's not as ball dominant as he used to be.

Manu is now more opportunistic which has spared his strength and legs. We are seeing more set 3 pt shots for him out of kick outs (Kawhi has set him up for a lot of open 3 pt shots when he plays with the bench), and we are seeing Anderson finding him cutting more instead of drives. They look for each other too. Instead of any of these guys doing it by themselves.

I actually agree with you having Anderson out there helps Manu out. When they have been with just another 3 pt shooter in Danny or Martin they don't get the same quality looks and they struggle to score as a unit. Of course bc of the abundance of Anderson critics around here, he doesn't get credited for making teammates better.

The Anderson/Manu bench duo is more dynamic than Martin/Manu or Danny/Manu.

Many of Manu's bad passes were overaggressive attempts to get the ball into the paint. POP mixing so many guys in (Boban, Martin, Miller, Simmons) with the bench was maybe a necessity in case you need those guys but it also made for many Manu errant passes to those guys. I don't want to jinx them, but Manu with Anderson has not been TO the ball that much and his assists have gone down as Anderson's have been spiking. Only player fans will be upset about that.

I have also noticed Pop has kept Manu's minutes at around 20. I think that is ideal. Maybe in a close playoff game you increase that a bit, but not by a lot.

tmtcsc
04-06-2016, 12:36 PM

I drove one of those until the wheels fell off.

spursistan
04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Manu has another year left in him with this style of play. Tim - not so much. Two bum knees makes things not so fun for him.
both can still be effective for another season in under 22 MPG role with bunch of rest..Health-wise, Tim chronic knee case is the more worrisome and can jeopardize his play more than Manu..

EVAY
04-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Like Chinook and SAGIRL, I think that Manu has been used recently more as a spot up shooter in the second unit than he was in the past, and it has worked well for us. His BBIQ is so incredibly high that he is always valuable on the court (when his TOs aren't too bad) as someone who sees the game a few plays before anyone else does, and responds by being in the right place at the right time.

The other really valuable thing about Manu's play, to me, is that he is fearless out there, even if his shot is off for a bit. So often this season I have seen our three point shooters get nervous and simply not be willing to take the shot. Manu will take them and, more often than not, make them. And he is a leader out there for the other team members. They do need to have either LMA or KL with them at all times though for them to be effective.

sasaint
04-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Honestly, he's been spotting up and cutting off the ball more. POP is putting the ball more and more in Anderson's hands and Patty (for better or worse with Patty), but he's not as ball dominant as he used to be.

Manu is now more opportunistic which has spared his strength and legs. We are seeing more set 3 pt shots for him out of kick outs (Kawhi has set him up for a lot of open 3 pt shots when he plays with the bench), and we are seeing Anderson finding him cutting more instead of drives. They look for each other too. Instead of any of these guys doing it by themselves.

I actually agree with you having Anderson out there helps Manu out. When they have been with just another 3 pt shooter in Danny or Martin they don't get the same quality looks and they struggle to score as a unit. Of course bc of the abundance of Anderson critics around here, he doesn't get credited for making teammates better.

Many of Manu's bad passes were overaggressive attempts to get the ball into the paint. POP mixing so many guys in (Boban, Martin, Miller, Simmons) with the bench was maybe a necessity in case you need those guys but it also made for many Manu errant passes to those guys. I don't want to jinx them, but Manu with Anderson has not been TO the ball that much and his assists have gone down as Anderson's have been spiking. Only player fans will be upset about that.

I have also noticed Pop has kept Manu's minutes at around 20. I think that is ideal. Maybe in a close playoff game you increase that a bit, but not by a lot.

As I remarked in the game thread, The Manu tres has been money since his return. He may actually have carved out a re-defined role for himself that will work for 15-20 minutes again next season, which might make him even more valuable given Danny's woes.

Splits
04-06-2016, 01:10 PM

I am SO in love with you.

Spur|n|Austin
04-07-2016, 12:07 AM

Good observations :tu

dabom
04-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Hoping he can have a decent playoffs to make up for the abortion of last year tbh

What did Porker have last year then? :lmao