View Full Version : that one play or bad call that cost a championship

SpursforSix
04-06-2016, 12:23 PM
The Manu foul on Dirk
no foul on Berry
no rebound in Game 6

Horse
04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
One bad decison, one retarded time keeper, one god awful no call and one bad bounce although having our best rebounder on the bench was pretty dumb.

keeferob25
04-06-2016, 12:51 PM
The Manu foul on Dirk
no foul on Berry
no rebound in Game 6

Dont think we beat the celtics in 2008. I dont even think we were better than LA. That call was only to get us a chance to extend the series...We were too old and worn that year.

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2016, 12:52 PM
You could make a reasonable argument that Strickland's pass in 1990 cost the Spurs at least a Finals appearance.

And you might be able to make a reasonable argument that Elliott's missed free throws in Game 1 of the West Finals in 1995 did the same.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-06-2016, 01:00 PM
That Dirk injury.
Rasheed leaving Horry wide open.
Them idiots Boris and A'm'a'r'e''''' jumping from the bench.

Ibleedslvrnblk
04-06-2016, 01:03 PM
If game six doesn't happen the following season doesn't happen. That team was on a mission....

SpursforSix
04-06-2016, 01:05 PM
You could make a reasonable argument that Strickland's pass in 1990 cost the Spurs at least a Finals appearance.

And you might be able to make a reasonable argument that Elliott's missed free throws in Game 1 of the West Finals in 1995 did the same.

yeah...but in 1990, I don't think they beat the Pistons. And they still had a full series to go before getting to the Finals.
I don't recall the missed free throws but not sure about a game 1 being in the same category. imo of course.

SpursforSix
04-06-2016, 01:06 PM
That Dirk injury.

those certainly didn't cost the Spurs a championship

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-06-2016, 01:08 PM
those certainly didn't cost the Spurs a championship
Edit : nvm.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Dont think we beat the celtics in 2008. I dont even think we were better than LA. That call was only to get us a chance to extend the series...We were too old and worn that year.

Lol, we completely choked away game 1 and had a 20 point lead in game 5. You are clueless

Kawhitstorm
04-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Dont think we beat the celtics in 2008

The Celtics owned the Spurs during the KG era & KG/Pierce/Allen/Rondo would have outplayed Tim/Manu/Porker/Bowen. They actually had Tony Allen/Posey on the bench to throw at Manu/Barry & Perkins/PJ Brown to throw at Tim. On the other hand, Finley would have been torched by Pierce.:lol

Fat Baby/Powe were also SIGNIFICANTLY better than Horry/Ginger in 2008.:lol

The Spurs also didn't have a chance of beating the 2004 Pistons who were deeper/hungrier than 2005 & Manu hadn't been handed the keys. Imagine Porker trying to play wingman while going up against Billups & an elite shotblocker like Ben Wallace........oh wait, it did ACTUALLY happen & he was miserable.:lol

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2016, 02:19 PM
yeah...but in 1990, I don't think they beat the Pistons.

That might be why I wrote that Strickland's pass "might have cost the Spurs at least a Finals appearance," without saying anything about a championship.

And they still had a full series to go before getting to the Finals.

True, but that series would have been against an upstart Phoenix team that was the #5 seed that year and ultimately lost to Portland in 6. The 89-90 Spurs also swept the 4 game season series from those Suns. Certainly not a guarantee of what would have happened, but I think the general belief back then was that if the Spurs had gotten through Portland, they were likely going to reach the Finals.

I don't recall the missed free throws but not sure about a game 1 being in the same category. imo of course.

This was the way it was described in the LA Times the following day:

Sean Elliott? Good place to start. He had a team-high 24 points and eight rebounds in 42 minutes. Then again, he also missed two free throws with 26.5 seconds left that could have forced the Rockets to try a three-point shot to get overtime, and then with about three seconds left missed an eight-foot runner down the lane that might have rescued victory.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-05-23/sports/sp-4945_1_three-point-shot-sean-elliott-spurs

Who knows what would have happened if Sean makes those. But he missed. And Horry made a shot to give the Rockets the lead, which allowed them to steal Game 1, which may have provoked the cascade of Dennis Rodman insanity in the early portions of Game 2 (when he jacked up ill-advised 3's), which likely put the Spurs in an 0-2 hole from which they were never going to emerge. Who knows what happens? That Rockets team seemed destined to win. But Elliott's misses in Game 1 certainly helped their cause.

Baseline21
04-06-2016, 02:19 PM
That Manu foul on dirk was the dagger to me. We would've crushed Miami in the finals in 06 and had repeat. That was our year to repeat Out of them all. We came back in that game when we're are outplayed throughout the entire game but then caught fire. Duncan put up monster numbers and needed ivy's in him after the game. The Ray Allen shot will be the most heart wrenching and devasting loss in all sports behind Seahawks throwing a int on the half yard line on 2nd down to win the Super Bowl. I agree,if we win 2013 the Ray Allen shot, we don't win 2014. The 2006 year was the best chance at repeating because Duncan and Manu were putting monster numbers up still.

Hoops Czar
04-06-2016, 02:30 PM
The Manu foul on Dirk
no foul on Berry
no rebound in Game 6

The no call on Barry didn't cost the Spurs a championship. :lol They still would have had to beat Lakers twice more including one in LA. Even if they managed to beat the Lakers, they most likely lose to Boston.

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2016, 02:33 PM
The no call on Barry didn't cost the Spurs a championship. :lol They still would have had to beat Lakers twice more including one in LA. Even if they managed to beat the Lakers, they most likely lose to Boston.

So true.

NameLess Scrub
04-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Idk about the 2013/2014 thing. You gotta believe this team was able to find motivation elsewhere if not in the loss from the season before. The personnel was there.

SpursforSix
04-06-2016, 02:42 PM
That might be why I wrote that Strickland's pass "might have cost the Spurs at least a Finals appearance," without saying anything about a championship.

right...I realized what you were saying. I guess one could go back and look at every 1 or 2 point playoff loss and find a play. But yeah...the Strickland one stands out for sure. Being at the end of the game. And well...Strickland.
But again, it wasn't for a Championship. Although I get that a couple of mine weren't either and they still would have had to win tough games.

True, but that series would have been against an upstart Phoenix team that was the #5 seed that year and ultimately lost to Portland in 6. The 89-90 Spurs also swept the 4 game season series from those Suns. Certainly not a guarantee of what would have happened, but I think the general belief back then was that if the Spurs had gotten through Portland, they were likely going to reach the Finals.

I agree with you that they would have most likely beat the Suns. It's what made the "pass" so maddening in the first place.

Sean Cagney
04-06-2016, 02:48 PM

No way we beat the Celts team in 08, agreed. The rest of those I can agree on but Detroit took us 7 games at home in 05 when they were not as hot as the year before and we needed the trade for Nazr to get us over that hump IMO (Barry over Hedo too anyday). I am not so sure the way Detroit was playing in the 04 Finals we beat them with Rasho and Hedo on the team starting tbh. I can say 06 for certain but the others? I don't know. Game 6 though we all know, that one is a certain finals win but they atoned it a year later so it's all good.

SpursforSix
04-06-2016, 02:49 PM
plus Howard taking out Derek Anderson. Obvious Spurs ring that year.

Sec24Row7
04-06-2016, 02:55 PM
That Manu foul on dirk was the dagger to me. We would've crushed Miami in the finals in 06 and had repeat. That was our year to repeat Out of them all. We came back in that game when we're are outplayed throughout the entire game but then caught fire. Duncan put up monster numbers and needed ivy's in him after the game. The Ray Allen shot will be the most heart wrenching and devasting loss in all sports behind Seahawks throwing a int on the half yard line on 2nd down to win the Super Bowl. I agree,if we win 2013 the Ray Allen shot, we don't win 2014. The 2006 year was the best chance at repeating because Duncan and Manu were putting monster numbers up still.

this. Manu's foul cost us a 3peat.

We play the pistons in 04 in the finals and I don't think we are the favorite.

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2016, 03:00 PM
plus Howard taking out Derek Anderson. Obvious Spurs ring that year.

Even with a healthy DA, I don't think that Spurs team had any real chance of taking out that Lakers team that playoff year.

The 2001 playoff Lakers were a very different animal than the 2000-01 regular season Lakers.

SpursforSix
04-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Even with a healthy DA, I don't think that Spurs team had any real chance of taking out that Lakers team that playoff year.

The 2001 playoff Lakers were a very different animal than the 2000-01 regular season Lakers.

I know. I was kidding mostly. I have a friend that's a Laker fan and I always told him that there's an asterisk by that Laker ring.

Still would have liked to see them at full strength. But iirc, they weren't very deep.

hsxvvd
04-06-2016, 03:35 PM

If Manu and Duncan repeat that year... I wonder if they'd still be playing... I often think the drive to repeat had them come back at least last season... this season was a different opportunity.

TampaDude
04-06-2016, 03:57 PM
How about that heartbreaking loss against Portland in the 1999 WCF where Sean Elliott stepped out of bounds on that 3-point attempt...oh, wait... :lol

Mr. Body
04-06-2016, 04:00 PM
That Dirk injury.

This. Goes both ways.

TampaDude
04-06-2016, 04:03 PM
That Dirk injury.

Ah, yes...the Horry hipcheck...the defining moment of the 2007 NBA Playoffs. The Spurs won the :lobt2: right there. Utah and Cleveland were just formalities.

spurs10
04-06-2016, 04:05 PM
If game six doesn't happen the following season doesn't happen. That team was on a mission.... :bobo

keeferob25
04-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Lol, we completely choked away game 1 and had a 20 point lead in game 5. You are clueless

No, YOU are the dumbass. Your statement proves my point but you're too stupid to even know it. We CHOKED game 1 and blew a 20 pt lead in game 5...so explain to me how we were supposedly better than LA when we apparently couldn't hold a damn lead and lost in 5 games?? Jesus you're fuckin stupid.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-06-2016, 04:45 PM
No, YOU are the dumbass. Your statement proves my point but you're too stupid to even know it. We CHOKED game 1 and blew a 20 pt lead in game 5...so explain to me how we were supposedly better than LA when we apparently couldn't hold a damn lead and lost in 5 games?? Jesus you're fuckin stupid.

Because we won a blowout in game 3, just like they did in Game 2, and they stole game 1 the same way we shouldve stole game 4. Shouldve been a 2-2 series. Then in game 5, we proved we are every bit as good as them by taking another huge lead on them. Sure we lost the game but if we hold serve in game 6 and head to LA in game 7, a place where we had built double digit leads twice, there is no reason to think we wouldnt have had a decent shot at winning. The playoffs come down to pivotal plays here and there, if the ball bounces your way it can change a series. Dont be so dense as to think a 5 game series means we couldnt have beat them. :lol

Spurs 4 The Win
04-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Ah, yes...the Horry hipcheck...the defining moment of the 2007 NBA Playoffs. The Spurs won the :lobt2: right there. Utah and Cleveland were just formalities.

Yeah, that was the defacto finals. That series couldve gone either way. I still remember that Nash bloody nose in game 1 and the Bowen corner 3 in game 5. That was an incredible series.

GSH
04-06-2016, 07:11 PM
1995 WCF against Houston, Game 1. Spurs lead 93-92 with seconds to play. Doc Rivers steals the ball from Hakeem and Sean leads a fast break. Instead of passing to the trailer, Sean takes it to the rim and gets fouled. Then he misses BOTH free throws!!! The Rockets score on the other end, and take a 94-93 lead. The Rockets went on to sweep Orlando in the Finals. Then Sean misses a final shot in the paint, where the refs swallowed their whistles.

That should have been the Admirals first ring, and those two missed FT's at the end were heartbreakers. (It didn't help that dumbshit Rodman caused such a distraction that Hill had to hold him out for the last play, and then didn't/couldn't start him in Game 5.)

Skip to about the 2:30 mark of the video to save some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghf6dbag-Tk&nohtml5=False

UNT Eagles 2016
04-06-2016, 07:50 PM
the Clyde Drexler trade fucked up our championship run that year.

Twisted_Dawg
04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/10/31/spurs-memory-10-controversial-officiating-blamed-for-spurs-79-series-loss/
This 1979 playoff game against Washington was the first fucking we received by league officials which cost us the chance to go to the finals.

Racspur1
04-06-2016, 09:19 PM
.04 Fisher !!! :bang:soapbox:

spursistan
04-06-2016, 09:42 PM
The Celtics owned the Spurs during the KG era & KG/Pierce/Allen/Rondo would have outplayed Tim/Manu/Porker/Bowen. They actually had Tony Allen/Posey on the bench to throw at Manu/Barry & Perkins/PJ Brown to throw at Tim. On the other hand, Finley would have been torched by Pierce.:lol

Fat Baby/Powe were also SIGNIFICANTLY better than Horry/Ginger in 2008.:lol

The Spurs also didn't have a chance of beating the 2004 Pistons who were deeper/hungrier than 2005 & Manu hadn't been handed the keys. Imagine Porker trying to play wingman while going up against Billups & an elite shotblocker like Ben Wallace........oh wait, it did ACTUALLY happen & he was miserable.:lol
The spurs truly blown title (repeat) was 2006..Don't think Miami had enough outside Wade/Shaq, and Dwayne wouldn't have blown up against us like he did in the Finals vs Dallas..We would have lost in Finals 2004/2008/2012 had we gotten out of the West in those contention years, tho..

Kawhitstorm
04-06-2016, 09:54 PM
The spurs truly blown title (repeat) was 2006..Don't think Miami had enough outside Wade/Shaq, and Dwayne wouldn't have blown up against us like he did in the Finals vs Dallas.

2006 was a wash too b/c the Mavs choked in the 1st rd in 2007 thus the Spurs only had to beat one REAL contender (Suns) during that playoff run.:lol (The Porker crew owe their life to Baron Davis)

Spurs 4 The Win
04-06-2016, 09:55 PM
The spurs truly blown title (repeat) was 2006..Don't think Miami had enough outside Wade/Shaq, and Dwayne wouldn't have blown up against us like he did in the Finals vs Dallas..We would have lost in Finals 2004/2008/2012 had we gotten out of the West in those contention years, tho..

Those two would have been complete toss up series as evidenced by each of the following years Finals series. What a stupid proclamation :lol

skulls138
04-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Dont think we beat the celtics in 2008. I dont even think we were better than LA. That call was only to get us a chance to extend the series...We were too old and worn that year.And we are still here....8 FUCKING years later! Wow

04-06-2016, 10:00 PM
This year it'll probably be Draymond Green tackling someone and getting a no call

Kawhitstorm
04-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Those two would have been complete toss up series as evidenced by each of the following years Finals series. What a stupid proclamation :lol

Dumb ass, each season is different.

The 2004 Pistons were BETTER than the 2005 Pistons: they lost Okur who became an all-star in Utah, Mike James who went on to average 20 in Toronto, Big Nasty who was a 6th Man of the Year & Sheed wasn't playing w/ the same hunger after he got his ring. Meanwhile, the Spurs had 2004 Manu/Horry who weren't exactly like 2005 Manu/Horry, you also had bitch ass Hedo & no Barry/Nazr...etc.

In 2012, Kawhi was a rookie & Danny was a 1st year starter...they both disappeared when the going got tough against OKC. (Bron/Wade would have had their way in 2012 considering they couldn't guard Harden who was atrocious in the Finals) Plus, Porker wasn't exactly 2013 MVPorker as he got handled by Thabo.

In short, YOU are a dumbass.:wakeup

Spurs 4 The Win
04-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Dumb ass, each season is different.

The 2004 Pistons were BETTER than the 2005 Pistons: they lost Okur who became an all-star in Utah, Mike James who went on to average 20 in Toronto, Big Nasty who was a 6th Man of the Year & Sheed wasn't playing w/ the same hunger after he got his ring. Meanwhile, the Spurs had 2004 Manu/Horry who weren't exactly like 2005 Manu/Horry, you also had bitch ass Hedo & no Barry/Nazr...etc.

In 2012, Kawhi was a rookie & Danny was a 1st year starter...they both disappeared when the going got tough against OKC. (Bron/Wade would have had their way in 2012 considering they couldn't guard Harden who was atrocious in the Finals) Plus, Porker wasn't exactly 2013 MVPorker as he got handled by Thabo.

In short, YOU are a dumbass.:wakeup

Look into your crystal ball, how does our season turn out this year? Better yet, what are tomorrows lottery numbers?? :lol

Also, we split with Detroit in 2004, each winning at home, and we would have had homecourt. Nice try though.

Sean Cagney
04-06-2016, 11:00 PM
1995 WCF against Houston, Game 1. Spurs lead 93-92 with seconds to play. Doc Rivers steals the ball from Hakeem and Sean leads a fast break. Instead of passing to the trailer, Sean takes it to the rim and gets fouled. Then he misses BOTH free throws!!! The Rockets score on the other end, and take a 94-93 lead. The Rockets went on to sweep Orlando in the Finals. Then Sean misses a final shot in the paint, where the refs swallowed their whistles.

That should have been the Admirals first ring, and those two missed FT's at the end were heartbreakers. (It didn't help that dumbshit Rodman caused such a distraction that Hill had to hold him out for the last play, and then didn't/couldn't start him in Game 5.)

Skip to about the 2:30 mark of the video to save some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghf6dbag-Tk&nohtml5=False

Spurs and missed Ft's at the end of games costing them back then too. SMH it's a given with this team it says at the line late in games.

BTW Horry, man that guy shows up time and again, of course he was going to hit that go ahead shot.

Obstructed_View
04-07-2016, 12:17 AM
The Manu foul on Dirk

Seriously, fuck any Spurs fan that says this. It's the height of ignorance. Pop benched the centers for the playoffs, making the players have to learn how to play small lineups that they'd never played before. If you don't want Manu fouling, don't fucking make him a power forward having to defend Dirk at the end of the goddamn game.