PDA

View Full Version : Cop Body slams girl

Nbadan
04-07-2016, 11:16 PM
We've seen the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__GRdC_J_ng

Unlike the usual reactionaries I'm willing to see this incident in context....officers aren't called unless a student is out of control...officers and administrators are the only personnel in schools allowed to restrain students....this girl was out of control....she could have easily hurt herself or hurt others...you can see her resisting the officer and hear her friends telling her to calm down right before the officer slammed her to the ground...unfortunately, these incidents of students losing control is far to common, especially as students near the end of the year and they want to take out personal vendettas on each other, teachers, administrators before summer.....expect this to happen again....and again...and again....until we bring discipline back to the schools...

boutons_deux
04-07-2016, 11:18 PM
officer bouncing her skull on the concrete is protecting her?

Nbadan
04-07-2016, 11:19 PM
She was resisting restraint.....on any city street the officer would be justified....

boutons_deux
04-07-2016, 11:24 PM
She was resisting restraint.....on any city street the officer would be justified....

she's 12 years old. no other police state possibility other than maximum brutality, man on girl?

Nbadan
04-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Plenty of 12 year old killers out there...she had the option to come peacefully instead she choose to try and kick the officers legs from under him.....what if she had gone for the officers gun or mace next? The throw down was perhaps a little rough, but she clearly did not respect authority or she would have come peacefully...these kids need to know that when the cops are called. its time to straighten up and act right....

boutons_deux
04-07-2016, 11:30 PM
"a little rough"

MAXIMUM BRUTALITY, risking serious concussion on concrete. her head bounced

Nbadan
04-07-2016, 11:31 PM
How hard would it have bounced if he has tased her instead?

boutons_deux
04-07-2016, 11:44 PM
tasing a 12 year old girl, bouncing her head of the concrete, MAXIMUM BRUTALITY, unacceptable.

IceColdBrewski
04-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Knocked the attitude right out of her though. Hopefully she has Dad at home who put his foot in her ass when he found out so that she learns fighting with cops will teach you a painful lesson every time. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is in the country at the moment. Get an attitude with cops, and you're probably going to jail. Fight with cops, and you're going to jail with bruises and possibly worse. She knows that now though. Hopefully it's something she remembers.

boutons_deux
04-08-2016, 12:28 AM
if her brain isn't bleeding from excessive, gratuitous cop brutality

Nbadan
04-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Hopefully she has Dad at home who put his foot in her ass

Probably not.....or dad is too weak to put that boot up her ass...

IceColdBrewski
04-08-2016, 12:36 AM
if her brain isn't bleeding from excessive, gratuitous cop brutality

You're exaggerating. Her hip clearly absorbed most of the impact.

resistanze
04-08-2016, 12:44 AM
:lol the sarcasm is lost on some

Splits
04-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Should have shot her with a rubber bullet or beanbag. Children like beanbags, right?

Trainwreck2100
04-08-2016, 12:58 AM
SAISD she'll be pregnant in 2 years anyway. Shit she might be pregnant now

Mitch
04-08-2016, 01:07 AM
Should have shot her with a rubber bullet or beanbag. Children like beanbags, right?

Right in the kisser, bust up her face so she doesn't have grandchildren before she's 20 tbh

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 01:14 AM
yeah... thats pretty ridiculous

Nbadan
04-08-2016, 01:27 AM

:lol

ElNono
04-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Knocked the attitude right out of her though. Hopefully she has Dad at home who put his foot in her ass when he found out so that she learns fighting with cops will teach you a painful lesson every time. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is in the country at the moment. Get an attitude with cops, and you're probably going to jail. Fight with cops, and you're going to jail with bruises and possibly worse. She knows that now though. Hopefully it's something she remembers.

Depends on what kind of money daddy has and the lawyers he can hire, tbh... if it's a rich daddy, he might even get some money out of the PD...

pgardn
04-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Unlike the usual reactionaries I'm willing to see this incident in context....officers aren't called unless a student is out of control...officers and administrators are the only personnel in schools allowed to restrain students....this girl was out of control....she could have easily hurt herself or hurt others...you can see her resisting the officer and hear her friends telling her to calm down right before the officer slammed her to the ground...unfortunately, these incidents of students losing control is far to common, especially as students near the end of the year and they want to take out personal vendettas on each other, teachers, administrators before summer.....expect this to happen again....and again...and again....until we bring discipline back to the schools...

Kids can get away with more in school than they can on the street. It is a strange reality.

Schools change as the kids change and as societal whims ebb and flow. Bad news on the horizon IMO. We see more and more parents sticking an electronic device in a kids face instead of discipline. Face to face meals and sit downs appear to be considered a hassle. Not good. And It's happening very early in a child's life. Elementary school teachers are facing more kids with no social skills whatsoever. Again, the schools are being asked to take over for the parent instead of educating.

So the schools deal with wild child. Expect a whole new set of protocols as we see this more often.

Aside: You fat toads sitting on the computer playing video games, get your butt outside and move.

boutons_deux
04-08-2016, 09:24 AM
"schools deal with wild child"

the school claims to disagree with the cop's brutality of "dealing", but the school has already failed by bring police brutalizing goons into the school.

boutons_deux
04-08-2016, 09:31 AM
The Perilous Aftermath of a Simple Concussion
A study showed that after a concussion the risk of suicide rose steadily over time.

A 20-year studypublished in February in the Canadian Medical Association Journal (http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2016/02/08/cmaj.150790)shows that people who have had a mild concussion are twice as likely to commit suicide as military personnel and more than three times as likely as members of the general population. Most of us agree with the bromide that time heals all wounds, but this study showed the opposite: After the concussion the risk of suicide rose steadily over time.

"Even when the CT scan doesn’t show major trauma, a minor injury can damage thousands and thousands of neurons. There are all sorts of problems that can last a long time, and we don’t know how to treat them.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-perilous-aftermath-of-a-simple-concussion-1459963724?mod=e2fb&ncid=newsltushpmg00000003

so, schoolgirl, after being "dealt with" by a cop's brutality, you, and other victims of police state goon "dealers", may have a long time to "deal with" cop brutality.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 10:08 AM
"schools deal with wild child"

the school claims to disagree with the cop's brutality of "dealing", but the school has already failed by bring police brutalizing goons into the school.

I made absolutely no mention of the methods.
Why do you pull this crap?

boutons_deux
04-08-2016, 10:31 AM
I made absolutely no mention of the methods.
Why do you pull this crap?

crap for brains, "so" the school "dealt with" the "wild child" with insane, maximum-force police brutality.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 10:35 AM
crap for brains, "so" the school "dealt with" the "wild child" with insane, maximum-force police brutality.

Yes.

I made no judgement about methods.

Why do you pull this shit?

Splits
04-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Yes.

I made no judgement about methods.

Why do you pull this shit?

You replied affirmatively to the OP

pgardn
04-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Yes?

Hows that splits?

Like wtf are you exaggerating, adding to now...?
Mass shootings in San Antonio was the last boots venture into twisting the taffy.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 10:46 AM
You replied affirmatively to the OP

I replied to the section involving speculation that this kind of confrontation will get worse.

Get it?
Read again.

Trill Clinton
04-08-2016, 10:47 AM
so we have grown men excusing a cops excessive force of a 12 yr old girl just because she 'resisted'? this board has gotten way too demonic. from the clip, the cop could have held her until she calmed down or until more staff arrived. he was not in any danger and neither were the other students.

Splits
04-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Yes?

Hows that splits?

Like wtf are you exaggerating, adding to now...?
Mass shootings in San Antonio was the last boots venture into twisting the taffy.

You quoted him without desputing a word he said, extended his remarks.

Splits
04-08-2016, 10:49 AM
I replied to the section involving speculation that this kind of confrontation will get worse.

Get it?
Read again.

Re-read, have the same opinion. You didn't condemn any of it, that's tacit approval

pgardn
04-08-2016, 10:50 AM
You quoted him without desputing a word he said, extended his remarks.

So what.
Im lazy.

I left the vid out. I can't comment on this stuff without context.

Fix it for me please.

Splits
04-08-2016, 10:51 AM
so we have grown men excusing a cops excessive force of a 12 yr old girl just because she 'resisted'? this board has gotten way too demonic. from the clip, the cop could have held her until she calmed down or until more staff arrived. he was not in any danger and neither were the other students.

OP is trolling, hooked a few on both sides.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Re-read, have the same opinion. You didn't condemn any of it, that's tacit approval

Its neither.

I don't know what went on.

So I will amend just for you.
Again, I commented on these confrontations continuing. Quit nipping at my nose hairs.
There.

Splits
04-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Its neither.

I don't know what went on.

So I will amend just for you.
Again, I commented on these confrontations continuing. Quit nipping at my nose hairs.
There.

Without expressing revulsion at a little girl being slammed on her head by a grown man whose job is to protect her.

I. Hustle
04-08-2016, 10:56 AM

Damn it! I agree with Trill.

If one of my girls got into a fight at school and I found out that the school cop did that... there would be hell to pay.

Splits
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Lol Nbadan bringing both sides together with his troll job

pgardn
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Without expressing revulsion at a little girl being slammed on her head by a grown man whose job is to protect her.

Absolutely and utterly wrong.
The job is to protect ALL students.
Was she attacking other kids?

Body slam seems unnecessary but the video does not show enough of the before and after. Have you interviewed cop and students?

Splits
04-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Absolutely and utterly wrong.
Was she attacking other kids?

Body slam seems unnecessary but the video does not show enough of the before and after. Have you interviewed cop and students?

Holy shit.

You are sick.

SHE'S A FUCKING 12 YEAR OLD CHILD SHE PROBABLY WEIGHS 60 LBS TO HIS 200

pgardn
04-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Lol Nbadan (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=78) bringing both sides together with his troll job

He has commented on this stuff before. I think he knows teachers. I think he knows what goes on in schools.

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 11:03 AM
agreed

pgardn
04-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Holy shit.

You are sick.

SHE'S A FUCKING 12 YEAR OLD CHILD SHE PROBABLY WEIGHS 60 LBS TO HIS 200

You are sick.

Sick mofo.

Yawn...

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 11:04 AM
SHE PROBABLY WEIGHS 60 LBS
maybe if she loses some weight you'd date her

pgardn
04-08-2016, 11:05 AM
maybe if she loses some weight you'd date her

Trivial courting for Avante.

Trill Clinton
04-08-2016, 11:08 AM
OP is trolling, hooked a few on both sides.
ah okay

Damn it! I agree with Trill.

If one of my girls got into a fight at school and I found out that the school cop did that... there would be hell to pay.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2wd7rqo.png

Splits
04-08-2016, 11:12 AM
You are sick.

Sick mofo.

Yawn...

Kids fight.

Adults restrain.

Adults never throw a 12 year old girl a quarter their size on their head under any circumstances.

Hope someone reports you to CPS and they casterate you if you think otherwise, you child violence supporting demented fuck.

I. Hustle
04-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Kids fight.

Adults restrain.

Adults never throw a 12 year old girl a quarter their size on their head under any circumstances.

Hope someone reports you to CPS and they casterate you if you think otherwise, you child violence supporting demented fuck.

Again... I agree

pgardn
04-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Kids fight.

Adults restrain.

Says the guy who revels in the death of others.

GTFOH with your fake compassion.:violin:violin
Your MO is so old and tired

Did the cop attempt restraint?

Say you don't know.
Body slam excessive. Again...

pgardn
04-08-2016, 11:22 AM
And you want me casterated?

Can I just merely be body slammed?
Please Father Splits?

Splits
04-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Your hero Joshua Kehm :cry

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/390113_334151869934781_1438916266_n-e1459994139149.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&strip=all

What type of training do these sickos go through that they're allowed to be around children?

Splits
04-08-2016, 11:32 AM
And you want me casterated?

Can I just merely be body slammed?
Please Father Splits?

When I was 12 we went behind the McGattis (sp) across the street from Stevenson, fought it out, went home. Didnt need child abusers to "protect" us. My niece is 12 years old, I could restrain her with one arm. This guy has a bear hug on her and instead of de-escalating the situation performs mass violence that you approve of.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 11:40 AM
When I was 12 we went behind the McGattis (sp) across the street from Stevenson, fought it out, went home. Didnt need child abusers to "protect" us. My niece is 12 years old, I could restrain her with one arm. This guy has a bear hug on her and instead of de-escalating the situation performs mass violence that you approve of.

Kids don't fight it out IN school dumb fuck.

Sure.
This is exactly what I approve of. I want body slamming.
Read all my posts and it's clear I approve.

Will I burn in hell like Scalia ... Father Splits?

Splits
04-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Kids don't fight it out IN school dumb fuck.

Sure.
This is exactly what I approve of. I want body slamming.
Read all my posts and it's clear I approve.

Will I burn in hell like Scalia ... Father Splits?

We occasionally fought in school too. The PE (Hendrcks?) teacher came and broke it up, then we went to detention and made up.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 11:55 AM
We occasionally fought in school too. The PE (Hendrcks?) teacher came and broke it up, then we went to detention and made up.

Then you are living in the old world.

I personally watched and aided in the break up of a hit at a school campus. A kid from one gang came on another campus,found the target, crashed through the glass door into administration onto a secretary cutting them all to pieces. The kids fought on top of the secretary while they were all bloddy messes. Friends and myself restrained (choked) both engaged (never forget my arm slipping off the neck and reapplying while cut up) Questioned by police, tested for hep C and AIDS.

Kids DONT fight IN school.

We all have our little stories eh Splits. Kids DONT fight ON campus.
Except during football practice on grass and in pads.

Edit: Almost got sent to alternative until teachers witnessing saved us. You participate, you go alt. That's the rule. So, you don't fight.

Splits
04-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Then you are living in the old world.

I personally watched and aided in the break up of a hit at a school campus. A kid from one gang came on another campus,found the target, crashed through the glass door into administration onto a secretary cutting them all to pieces. The kids fought on top of the secretary while they were all bloddy messes. Friends and myself restrained (choked) both engaged (never forget my arm slipping off the neck and reapplying while cut up) Questioned by police, tested for hep C and AIDS.

Kids DONT fight IN school.

We all have our little stories eh Splits. Kids DONT fight ON campus.
Except during football practice on grass and in pads.

That has nothing to do with this situation, or the ones I previously described. Nobody had a weapon. The campus cop should ONLY get involved in that scenario. They are trained in the use of force and saving lives. When two girls are yelling at each other and pulling each other's hair, most cops (especially former Air Force who probably is responsible for hundreds of deaths and is trained in extreme violence) is not trained to diffuse the situation. I personally think in this scenario, that cop should be absolutely PROHIBITED from intervening physically with 12 year old girls, and should call the closest administrator or other person trained in de-escalation to resolve the situation since he is only trained in extreme violence.

I'm not for the militarization of schools, especially with little 10-12 year olds running around. Apparently you're in support.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 12:17 PM
That has nothing to do with this situation, or the ones I previously described. Nobody had a weapon. The campus cop should ONLY get involved in that scenario. They are trained in the use of force and saving lives. When two girls are yelling at each other and pulling each other's hair, most cops (especially former Air Force who probably is responsible for hundreds of deaths and is trained in extreme violence) is not trained to diffuse the situation. I personally think in this scenario, that cop should be absolutely PROHIBITED from intervening physically with 12 year old girls, and should call the closest administrator or other person trained in de-escalation to resolve the situation since he is only trained in extreme violence.

I'm not for the militarization of schools, especially with little 10-12 year olds running around. Apparently you're in support.

Then quit brining your own anecdotal situations in. And there were NO weapons in my "little" quite orderly friendly disagreement where we all conferred about descalation while sprawling in a bloddy pile on top of a poor staff member.
We took care of an unmilitarized situation. Then the police showed up.

You don't fight IN school. Get it?
Apparently you are ok with violence between students IN school and don't give a shit.

And I totally agree with the above if the situation allowed for it and was not a spontaneous bloody mosh pit like I was in. But I was not there. Again, body slam unnecessary. But I can't go into your fine detail as I WAS NOT THERE.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Oh this was an elementary school and not a middle school?

Cause Middle school can be worse than High school.

Splits
04-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Then quit brining your own anecdotal situations in.
We took care of an unmilitarized situation. Then the police showed up.

You don't fight IN school. Get it?
Apparently you are ok with violence between students IN school and don't give a shit.

I'm not okay with any violence. But kids fight. Regardless of upbringing, it just happens. It can't be prevented through threats of violence.

What part of this do you think "the video does not show enough of the before and after"?

0-second: she's completely under control, head down, stumbling as the 175lb Air Force vet now police officer has a calm face and 2 hands on the 12yr olds shoulders. Notice also there's no other commotion. Everyone else is looking like "wtf?"

http://i.imgur.com/vPL9JDP.png

1-seconds. Complete bear-hug. She's practically falling to the ground, head completely down, no resistance can be seen by the 60lb child. If the 12yr old was really a "threat" he could just push her straight down.
http://i.imgur.com/ftnaDcM.png

You think "the video does not show enough of the before and after"?

Here's the "after". A fucking suplex with her head direct on the concrete. He could have fucking killed her.

http://i.imgur.com/YAsaaUc.png

08-sec: while your hero has just knocked her unconscious, as displayed by her being immobile and her legs not moving, he proceeds to handcuff her as opposed to providing aid

http://i.imgur.com/8Puz9FR.png

I mean, this is just seriously sick shit.

Splits
04-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Oh this was an elementary school and not a middle school?

Cause Middle school can be worse than High school.

You must have some pretty dumb children if your 12 yr olds are in elementary school.

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 12:42 PM
while your hero has just knocked her unconscious, as displayed by her being immobile and her legs not moving
how could her legs move in a still shot

Splits
04-08-2016, 12:48 PM
how could her legs move in a still shot

Quit being an idiot. You watched, 4-10 seconds of the video, she's out and he's handcuffing a 12 year old child he just slammed on her head.

Is this another one of your :cry both sides do it, the cops legs aren't moving either :cry ?

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Quit being an idiot. You watched, 4-10 seconds of the video, she's out and he's handcuffing a 12 year old child he just slammed on her head.

Is this another one of your :cry both sides do it, the cops legs aren't moving either :cry ?
:lol moron

i left my thoughts on page 1 of the thread

:cry but but, spurraider always sides with police! i need him to fit my bullshit narrative of him :cry

Splits
04-08-2016, 01:06 PM
:lol moron

i left my thoughts on page 1 of the thread

:cry but but, spurraider always sides with police! i need him to fit my bullshit narrative of him :cry

Nothing to do with police/victim. Just breaking the baby in half in general. It's the most annoying/least useful part of a discussion where you never weigh the level of shit-headedness on either side, they :cry both do it equally I side with one or the other equally :cry.

:cry pretty ridiculous :cry Nice "thoughts"

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 01:09 PM
:madrun damnit i need you to fit my narrative!

Splits
04-08-2016, 01:12 PM
:madrun damnit i need you to fit my narrative!

I don't have a narrative but to write you off since your takes boil down to "pretty ridiculous" and think that qualifies as "thoughts".

Splittin' the baby, as in "yeah the cop was wrong but how wrong? we just don't know!" You agree/disagree with both sides, see!

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 01:24 PM
i never said we don't know

i called it ridiculous, clearly referring to the cop's action. i'm sorry i dont fit into the narrative you have painted of me

:lol... you and th'pusher literally get mad when i take a stance against the police

Splits
04-08-2016, 02:15 PM
i never said we don't know

i called it ridiculous, clearly referring to the cop's action. i'm sorry i dont fit into the narrative you have painted of me

:lol... you and th'pusher literally get mad when i take a stance against the police

No, you called it "pretty" ridiculous. Which is the most generic and non-informative of hedges. But you hedge on everything, so no big deal.

But if you are so desperate for me to assign you a "narrative" (why are you so enamored with my opinion of you?), here goes...

You've probably got this grand idea to be a powerful judge that can shape law based on the "facts". So whenever you finally graduate and pass the bar (how fucking long has it been now), you'll start as some low-level prosecutor and make a couple of friends because you're not a total douchebag. It's easier to start state-side. Then, you'll move into defense and think you can join some big firm because of your "friends", but get shutout and up as some ambulance chaser or practicing insurance law. So you'll fail at both since you have no convictions, won't get that judgeship, and end up some triple-A beisbol league umpire. And you'll love it, cause you're just "calling balls and strikes".

How's that for a narrative? How far off am I?

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 02:33 PM
No, you called it "pretty" ridiculous. Which is the most generic and non-informative of hedges. But you hedge on everything, so no big deal.

But if you are so desperate for me to assign you a "narrative" (why are you so enamored with my opinion of you?), here goes...

You've probably got this grand idea to be a powerful judge that can shape law based on the "facts". So whenever you finally graduate and pass the bar (how fucking long has it been now), you'll start as some low-level prosecutor and make a couple of friends because you're not a total douchebag. It's easier to start state-side. Then, you'll move into defense and think you can join some big firm because of your "friends", but get shutout and up as some ambulance chaser or practicing insurance law. So you'll fail at both since you have no convictions, won't get that judgeship, and end up some triple-A beisbol league umpire. And you'll love it, cause you're just "calling balls and strikes".

How's that for a narrative? How far off am I?
eh

i'm in my 2nd year of law school, to answer your "how fucking long has it been now" question. as for what law i want to practice? the only thing i do know for certain at this point is that i want to be in trials... and yes criminal law is a much quicker route to that than civil. contrary to what you may or may not believe, if i was going to work for the state, at this point i think i'd prefer public defense to working for the DA. not that i have any m:lolral reservation to working on a particular side, but i find defense work much more appealing. in fact i've got a mock trial next week in a criminal defense case. (pretty interesting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5bsa6bqhgl13qh/State%20v%20Rausch%20CASE%20FILE.pdf?dl=0)

that said, i am going to be externing for the DA's office come this fall (big advantage for students working for DA over PD because only for the DA do they actually let student externs argue in prelims). to this point i've worked at a PI firm, labor/equity department at the superior court, and currently externing for a judge who works exclusively civil jury trials. will be at a workers comp firm in the summer, so i definitely wanted to sneak in a semester working on the crim side of things before graduating

is judgeship appealing? yeah. would i prefer being a judge making ~170k over working in some big firm or my own practice making twice that? (not that i can ever guarantee to make more than that, but hypothetically) i think down the line the answer would be a yes, but that is a ways away and not anything i can really plan for. i dont need to be making ridiculous amounts of money to live happily. many people in my class have no desires to be a judge, i'm not one of them. that being said, there are a lot of politics involved, and prosecutors have an easier route to judgeship, so it's something to consider. still, at this point i prefer criminal defense.

personal injury can pay bills, but i hate the work. refuse to go to school and pass the bar so i can spend my day on the phone with doctors and insurance companies, only to have 98% of my cases to settle. my calling is to be in a courtroom, not behind an office desk

Splits
04-08-2016, 03:26 PM
eh

i'm in my 2nd year of law school, to answer your "how fucking long has it been now" question. as for what law i want to practice? the only thing i do know for certain at this point is that i want to be in trials... and yes criminal law is a much quicker route to that than civil. contrary to what you may or may not believe, if i was going to work for the state, at this point i think i'd prefer public defense to working for the DA. not that i have any m:lolral reservation to working on a particular side, but i find defense work much more appealing. in fact i've got a mock trial next week in a criminal defense case. that said, i am going to be externing for the DA's office come this fall (big advantage for students working for DA over PD because only for the DA do they actually let student externs argue in prelims). to this point i've worked at a PI firm, labor/equity department at the superior court, and currently externing for a judge who works exclusively civil jury trials. will be at a workers comp firm in the summer, so i definitely wanted to sneak in a semester working on the crim side of things before graduating

is judgeship appealing? yeah. would i prefer being a judge making ~170k over working in some big firm or my own practice making twice that? (not that i can ever guarantee to make more than that, but hypothetically) i think down the line the answer would be a yes, but that is a ways away and not anything i can really plan for. i dont need to be making ridiculous amounts of money to live happily. many people in my class have no desires to be a judge, i'm not one of them. that being said, there are a lot of politics involved, and prosecutors have an easier route to judgeship, so it's something to consider. still, at this point i prefer criminal defense.

personal injury can pay bills, but i hate the work. refuse to go to school and pass the bar so i can spend my day on the phone with doctors and insurance companies, only to have 98% of my cases to settle. my calling is to be in a courtroom, not behind an office desk

So I was basically right :lol

I don't mean to demean, I've always liked you, you obviously have a future, but you're probably half my age, and I like to spout off and give advice. Taken or not (and I don't come from law/politics, just been paying intricate attention since the late 90s), so for whatever it's worth...

Law is no longer non/bi-partisan and co-mingling of law and politics is at one of the highest points in recent history, and that will not change anytime soon. Most elected officials have law degrees; all are political. Parties disagree on 80% of their policy views, but there is overlap (i.e. in the current climate, criminal justice reform, tax the rich).

And by partisan I don't mean alliance to a party (Dem/Rep), I mean alliance to a cause (authority/non-authoritarian principles).

All judges are elected or appointed; that is primarily political but can also be partisan given a certain political climate or location. The Garlands of the world are an election-year slush-mush anomaly only because everyone knows he's DoA. At the highest level, the Kennedy/Souter/O'Conner nomination days, where the President/Governor making the appointment doesn't know the appointee's positions, are the past. No politician (at any level) is going to appoint judges that don't ally to most of their core partisan beliefs lest be voted out next election.

It's fun to be wiled-eyed and dreamy when you're young, to listen to your professors and the John Roberts "b:lollls and strik:lols" arguments, but the vast majority of decisions are partisan (I'll give on both Roberts ACA decisions being legacy, as he did not want to start off his court as the most activist ever, overturning the other 2 branches on arcane legal questions).

It doesn't mean there can't be shades of grey; you can offer differing opinions on the margins, but, in my opinion, to be successful, you've gotta go all-in from the outset and massage it on the inset. You've got to pick a side. You're either the authority, and want to make your name by punishing as harsh as possible, or non-authoritarian and side with the little guy who always gets fucked over.

If you go private, you've got to be hyper-partisan on both political sides. ( I find it :lol the ACLU defended the KKK, confederate flag, Westboro Baptist Church along with all the civil liberty groups based on partisanship)

If you go public, you've got to be hyper-partisan on the authority side.

It's messy. But you can't split the baby. You'll end up the AAA umpire, imho. And initial salary should be down the list when considering where to go. Pick a side, work your ass off, the money in law/politics is endless. You don't need to earn off the bat unless you got kids or some shit. Just eat and get a studio.

Anyways, it's 2am here in India and I'm rambling while drunk so this probably made no sense, so I'm going to sleep after I fuck with Capri some more.

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 03:39 PM
And initial salary should be down the list when considering where to go. Pick a side, work your ass off, the money in law/politics is endless. You don't need to earn off the bat unless you got kids or some shit. Just eat and get a studio.
:lol no shit... i did say Public Defense is the area i'm most interested in working in off the bat, clearly not chasing money there.

CosmicCowboy
04-08-2016, 05:06 PM
:lol no shit... i did say Public Defense is the area i'm most interested in working in off the bat, clearly not chasing money there.

FWIW it's much more lucrative to work as an assistant DA for a few years and then segue into private practice. The connections are invaluable.

Right now you may think money doesn't matter but don't kid yourself. It's damn nice to have money. Gives you lots more lifestyle options.

spurraider21
04-08-2016, 05:09 PM
FWIW it's much more lucrative to work as an assistant DA for a few years and then segue into private practice. The connections are invaluable.
i'm aware, its a better political move to work for the prosecution

Right now you may think money doesn't matter but don't kid yourself. It's damn nice to have money. Gives you lots more lifestyle options.
i didnt say it doesn't matter. it shouldn't be the primary concern of my first job in the field, though. besides, if all goes to plan, my (future) wife will be making more money than me anyway. she'll be starting med school in a year

CosmicCowboy
04-08-2016, 05:14 PM
i'm aware, its a better political move

More practical than political. There are lots of starving attorneys in private practice. Going straight there out of law school is nuts. Law school does NOT prepare you to litigate right out of the gate. Make good grades, get on with the DA's office and get paid to learn.

i didnt say it doesn't matter. it shouldn't be the primary concern of my first job in the field, though

No, but making the right career choices to cash in later should be a primary concern if you think money will eventually matter

CosmicCowboy
04-08-2016, 05:16 PM
I literally know at least ten St. Marys grads that are practically starving. They have to live off the crumbs that established attorneys throw them, then have to give back half their fee+ after doing all the work.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 07:26 PM

You must have some pretty dumb children if your 12 yr olds are in elementary school.

Read again what you wrote dumb shit.

What grade are 10 year olds in Moron?

Where the fuck did you come up with 10 year olds? Why not 12-14 year olds.
Disingenous fake righteous preacher man keep preaching.