PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looked like they were losing tonight on purpose

sexinthatsx
04-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Don't know why but it looks as if the Spurs were losing on purpose. Even when Barnes was hot they kept giving him open look after open look. I think they're trying to make Warriors play Barnes in the playoffs and exploiting that matchup like they did in 2013

RD2191
04-07-2016, 11:56 PM
:lol

Benoit
04-07-2016, 11:58 PM
lmao its called playing against a healthy Dubs team

2 blowouts that were never close

Mnky
04-08-2016, 12:00 AM
OP with truth Nukes.

sananspursfan21
04-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Lost on purpose? You're out of your mind, cmon. Now, mailed it in? Yes, the effort looked like it was missing. But you never actually lose on purpose, that's ridiculous. I do like that they trolled them a little and turned up the heat in garbage time just to mess with the final score.

sananspursfan21
04-08-2016, 12:01 AM

11 point win, what a blowout!!

Floyd Pacquiao
04-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Boris didn't even play

ElNono
04-08-2016, 12:02 AM

Although I thought Pop experimented well tonight. He did leave Tony on Curry for long stretches, he's not going to give him practice time against Danny or Kawhi... also played around with KMart a bit, and I think we really miss Bobo against this team.

Spurs9
04-08-2016, 12:03 AM

11 point "blowout" :lol

Timothy21
04-08-2016, 12:05 AM

your mom is a blowout man

SASdynasty!
04-08-2016, 12:06 AM

Lol you won by 11 at home and we were down Diaw and Aldridge got hurt.

AZK619
04-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Pop playing mind games, tbh. He just wanted the Warriors to gain false confidence.

Benoit
04-08-2016, 12:07 AM
the game wasnt close since the 2nd quarter

lmao moral victories "only lost by 11" LMAO

Benoit
04-08-2016, 12:08 AM
Lol you won by 11 at home and we were down Diaw and Aldridge got hurt.

Spurs havent won a single game on the road against a good opponent

SASdynasty!
04-08-2016, 12:08 AM

Lol thinking 11 points at home is a blowout.

KDKSpurs24
04-08-2016, 12:09 AM
The open looks were because this defensive scheme is complicated. Too much overthinking going on out there for no reason. We're trying to put too much 'science' into this shit. Just play...

SASdynasty!
04-08-2016, 12:09 AM
Warriors haven't won a game in San Antonio in 19 years.

Horse
04-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Certainly didn't see the successful defensive strategy from the last game.

nowitzkikopf
04-08-2016, 12:11 AM

at least troll with logic, my friend. you use the same "back to back", "we didn't have 3 good defenders" excuse for their narrow margin of victory. good game spurs fan- something was missing for sure, i say it was having diaw and aldridge on both posts.

duncan is a liability vs us though,that much is true

AZK619
With our healthy rotation big in Diaw and a healthy LMA we beat them, tbh. No shame in 11 point loss.

ECOV

Lmao warriors hahaha

ECOV
04-08-2016, 12:14 AM

Lmao warriors hahaha

MultiTroll
04-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Lot of the plays were like they have never played or practiced together.

But I saw enough of the Warriors to not have much to fear. Gimmicky chit is gonna get pushed in when this years playoffs do not miraculously open for them.

gilmor
04-08-2016, 12:19 AM

Man.. u are so fucking dumb..

gilmor
04-08-2016, 12:21 AM

Although I thought Pop experimented well tonight. He did leave Tony on Curry for long stretches, he's not going to give him practice time against Danny or Kawhi... also played around with KMart a bit, and I think we really miss Bobo against this team.

That's the whole point. U don't show your best card to your enemies when the playoffs is so near.

I expect Pop will do the same in the next game we faces Warriors. Experiment, experiment..

SPURt
04-08-2016, 12:23 AM
The Spurs haven't lost at home to a bad opponent...

sexinthatsx
04-08-2016, 01:43 AM
It just looked like leaving Harrison Barnes open all night was by design given that the Spurs dominated the individual matchup on Barned back in 2013. I also noticed because barnes was playing so well, Warriors are going to stray away from using Igoudala, which could potentially hurt the Spurs more.

I didn't see the Spurs giving max effort tonight - I expected all the starters to sit. But I can guarantee that Pop is still juicing plays out of the Golden State Warriors to study them closer and exploit the matchups while not showing their hand. I expect Spurs to try a lot harder on their home court though.

SouthernFried
04-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Well, if this is true. Then, getting one of your 2 best scorers injured doing it was a pretty dumb move, donchathink?

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:58 AM

Moral victory for the Lakers

Hoops Czar
04-08-2016, 02:00 AM
Don't know why but it looks as if the Spurs were losing on purpose. Even when Barnes was hot they kept giving him open look after open look. I think they're trying to make Warriors play Barnes in the playoffs and exploiting that matchup like they did in 2013

That's why the Spurs starters were still in the game with 5 to go. :rolleyes

Splits
04-08-2016, 02:06 AM
That's why the Spurs starters were still in the game with 5 to go. :rolleyes

And the Worriors starters with 1:15 to go :lol

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 02:13 AM
And the Worriors starters with 1:15 to go :lol

Pop was fuckin' w/ Kerr since the Worriers blew a double digit lead in garbage time against the Cripples:lol

siraulo23
04-08-2016, 03:14 AM

DenialTwist
04-08-2016, 05:18 AM
Kerr did that last season too. He fucks around with other teams letting Curry, Klay and Green stay in the game even when they've already won the game.

Chinook
04-08-2016, 05:51 AM
The Spurs didn't lose on purpose. But I do think Pop's main goal was to scout GS' adjustments. The team wasn't as aggressive in their switches last night, and they left a lot of passes open that they didn't leave open in the second game. The Warriors aren't going to win unless the Splash Bros. figure out the Spurs' defense. Them scoring from two or hitting open guys won't win a series. I think Pop is add to the defensive game plan while trying to figure out how to be more efficient on offense.

Kikoluna
04-08-2016, 06:29 AM
I agree with op. It certainly looked like they were given a directive to lose. Leonard missing every free throw. Tony guarding mouthpiece. Anderson playing anything more than a minute. They lost on purpose, foolish mindset, but they did. Number 1 seed WAS attainable. I was so eager for this game as soon as the Utah game ended and was so bummed to see that game plan unfold.

spursfan09
04-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Don't think they lost on purpose but I don't think they were showing all their cards. Have to save something for if or when they meet in the playoffs.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Spurs were just running basic sets again last night and yes, the intensity was pretty low last night.

Spurs weren't getting the #1 seed. But I do believe Pop will go for the 41-0 record. Pop is just playing mind games, he played everyone as to force maximum effort from the Warriors. Now they still think 73-9 is doable, so they will play hard in Memphis, and will be gassed for Sunday's game, which is the Spurs will win.

The fact the Spurs didn't play Miller or Simmons when GS had a big lead makes me believe wanted the Warriors starters to play as many minutes as possible.

Old School 44
04-08-2016, 07:32 AM
I don't believe they lost on purpose, but they didn't play their REAL game. I actually think the Spurs playing everybody was more of a gift to the league. I know Pop does whatever he wants, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was "encouraged" by the league to play everybody.

MultiTroll
04-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Why no Andre Miller?
With the starters doing the slowdown game, I thought Miller would be a better fit then Parker. Not hating on Parker, just that he was too easily neutralized on O and his D on the Worrier guards is :rolleyes

bklynspursfan
04-08-2016, 08:27 AM

No #FullSquad for SA in either

Rob123
04-08-2016, 08:35 AM
They definitely didnt lose on purpose. You could see at the beginning they were going for it until Aldridge got hurt. Once Aldridge got hurt Pop decided he'd try to steal it if possible, but he didn't show the teams cards. When Kawhi started shitting on the warriors he pulled him, when patty started heating up he pulled him, he went to Duncan a few more times than he would in a post season game at this point, and he let kmart get some burn. I think he wanted to stay behind to see if his bench could recapture a lead, and it was smart, real smart, Patty looked like shit but he kept calling his number and the guy finally responded.

The warriors almost let a terrible bench mob come back on their starters so I wouldn't really put much stock in them, lol.

NameLess Scrub
04-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Some guys doing some positive analysis.

Almost the entire ST saying or implying we need some sucker punch trick to have some chance vs the Warriors.

For me the they are the new villains. Some times I even forget how much I "hate" Lebron.

apalisoc_9
04-08-2016, 08:44 AM
The Spurs didn't lose on purpose. But I do think Pop's main goal was to scout GS' adjustments. The team wasn't as aggressive in their switches last night, and they left a lot of passes open that they didn't leave open in the second game. The Warriors aren't going to win unless the Splash Bros. figure out the Spurs' defense. Them scoring from two or hitting open guys won't win a series. I think Pop is add to the defensive game plan while trying to figure out how to be more efficient on offense.

I hate the term "lose on purpose" on sports. No team does that. Its impissible to convince players to "lose on purpose". Its just the coaches prioritizing scouting. Im sure at the same time, they want to win, but sometimes you lose.

SilverSpur
04-08-2016, 09:04 AM

If they tried losing on purpose , they should have just benched everyone and played the back ups telling GS "We don't care about you" but we played starter vs starter and got beat.
POP knows what he's doing but Parker and the rest of the starter forced Pop to play them.
It back fired on them cause they saw Minnesota beat them.

look_at_g_shred
04-08-2016, 09:58 AM

/MELTDOWN

ceperez
04-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Boban "The Secret Weapon" Marjanovic was in street clothes... should tell you enough.

TheDoctor
04-08-2016, 11:49 AM

Chinook summed it up perfectly. Pop didn't want to lose this game on purpose at all but the team lacked the intensity they need to win in Oakland. I noted some things:

1) Pop basically wanted to play his team pretty good minutes. I guess for conditioning. LMA dislocated his finger and still played 30mins.
2) More than anything, Pop wanted to dial in the defensive rotations. Hence the fastest time-out ever after Spurs lost Klay for a three.

If HBarnes goes off and decide to have the game of his life draining shots in front of Kawhi you can't do much about it, tip your hat, but at least communicate and play good team defense.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 04:12 PM
It wasn't on purpose. We were missing Diaw who is important against this team and some guys had bad games in general both ends. You can't do that on the road. There were defensive miscues. Guys were not picking up transition defense at times, specially lineups with D west. Patty had a terrible game on both ends.

Other guys were inconsistent. Good for stretches, bad in others. They have to be more consistent in their effort, but it wasn't a tanked game.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Spurs were just running basic sets again last night and yes, the intensity was pretty low last night.

Spurs weren't getting the #1 seed. But I do believe Pop will go for the 41-0 record. Pop is just playing mind games, he played everyone as to force maximum effort from the Warriors. Now they still think 73-9 is doable, so they will play hard in Memphis, and will be gassed for Sunday's game, which is the Spurs will win.

The fact the Spurs didn't play Miller or Simmons when GS had a big lead makes me believe wanted the Warriors starters to play as many minutes as possible.
Good points all around
Very CIA Pop.

Kindergarten Cop
04-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Warriors haven't won a game in San Antonio in 19 years.

https://m.popkey.co/19e2b2/8ykoO_s-200x150.gif

nickdakoolkat
04-08-2016, 05:35 PM
I think the biggest difference tonight was curry and clay realizing they don't have to beat every team with nothing but 3s. The only other team even close to defending the 3 as well as the spurs is the warriors. But as you could see last night curry was able to penetrate almost at will, now he didn't score 35, but he had a much more efficient game last night than the previous meeting. IMO that will be the key to the warriors beating SA in the playoffs is not forcing a ton of contested 3s, make SA pay for over contesting and get to the hoop!

sexinthatsx
04-09-2016, 01:57 AM
Chinook summed it up perfectly. Pop didn't want to lose this game on purpose at all but the team lacked the intensity they need to win in Oakland. I noted some things:

1) Pop basically wanted to play his team pretty good minutes. I guess for conditioning. LMA dislocated his finger and still played 30mins.
2) More than anything, Pop wanted to dial in the defensive rotations. Hence the fastest time-out ever after Spurs lost Klay for a three.

If HBarnes goes off and decide to have the game of his life draining shots in front of Kawhi you can't do much about it, tip your hat, but at least communicate and play good team defense.

Simply put, just look at the way the Spurs defended during their March win against the Dubs and their effort on Thursday night. It was night and day, and Pop was basically letting Harrison Barnes go off.

naico
04-09-2016, 04:07 AM
Looked like Patty was trying to lose on purpose. Has been bad these last couple of games. Hope he steps it up soon.

TheDoctor
04-09-2016, 06:51 AM
Simply put, just look at the way the Spurs defended during their March win against the Dubs and their effort on Thursday night. It was night and day, and Pop was basically letting Harrison Barnes go off.
Sure, letting HBarnes and Raymond have their mid-range/3pointers was by design.

Kidd K
04-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Some guys doing some positive analysis.

Almost the entire ST saying or implying we need some sucker punch trick to have some chance vs the Warriors.

For me the they are the new villains. Some times I even forget how much I "hate" Lebron.

That isn't the point. Hiding matchups or plans does not effect an entire series, only a game or two. It's a good tactic when you want to steal a road game in a series against a difficult opponent. Pop has done it multiple times in the past and it's been effective. The seeding is already locked up, so why would you show your entire hand in a meaningless game? Pop knows exactly what the Warriors want to do, they don't know all of what SA can do. It's a nice edge.

I don't view the Warriors as some villain. Their arrogance is annoying but that's about it. The only reason to want to see them lose is to make fun of their Lakers bandwagon fans.

NameLess Scrub
04-09-2016, 10:20 AM
That isn't the point. Hiding matchups or plans does not effect an entire series, only a game or two. It's a good tactic when you want to steal a road game in a series against a difficult opponent. Pop has done it multiple times in the past and it's been effective. The seeding is already locked up, so why would you show your entire hand in a meaningless game? Pop knows exactly what the Warriors want to do, they don't know all of what SA can do. It's a nice edge.

I don't view the Warriors as some villain. Their arrogance is annoying but that's about it. The only reason to want to see them lose is to make fun of their Lakers bandwagon fans.

Thanks. I understand the point. I'm ok with them taking it easier.

I just have doubts about if there's an actual hand Pop hasn't shown. It seems like the margin of error gets smaller and the dependency on luck is more.

Can't wait for the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
04-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Yep, when a good team skullfucks you they make it look pretty effortless. So much for that great defense and the beautiful game offense.

kaji157
04-09-2016, 11:46 AM
I think it was pretty evident that the Spurs avoided to play to their strengths other than the first quarter.

Whether it was by design or because the Warriors forced us out of our comfort zone that isa thing of perspective, particularly I think that sets like the 4 down we are now playing with aldridge is a set that if you want to execute it there are few things opposing team can do to take that away from you, then is a matter of how they defend it.

I tend to think that after the first quarter and given the fact LMA got injured, Pop stopped that and went test mode the whole game, he has done this in the past against OKC for example. After being beaten by then in 2012 we always had a lot of trouble beating them during the regular season, yet during the playoffs Pop did have a plan that worked and we ended clinching at their home

Something similar happened in the 2007 finals against Cleveland, yet no one believed it, Cleveland dominated the Spurs in both regular season games and it looked as the Spurs had no answer for LeBron, yet the media speculated a lot more than today about pop not wanting to win those games, something it was debatable considering the swep in the Finals.