PDA

View Full Version : Takeaways from this game

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:04 AM
Good:
-Parker is ok for this matchup. He has proven he can guard the post-ups against thompson and barnes. He's also our best bet aside from Diaw to control the tempo.
-Danny Green caught fire, somewhat. His defense was always there, some steals here, deflections, we just need him catching fire like twice in 7 games tbh.
-Kawhi can play in Oracle. LMA also can, just sad that he got injured. Actually looked like a slow-paced game before the injury. Keep posting Kawhi and LMA and we'll be fine.
-We showed some heart :lol cliche as fuck. But I expect to win in a blow-out on Sunday. Hope Bobo plays.
-Pop showed some nice coaching. Refusing to give up and actually trying to learn something from the game unlike the first game in January.
-When Barnes beats you, it's usually a good thing.

Bad:
-Tim is a bad fit against this team.
-West seemed to be lost. Layup drills in the 3rd all cause of him.
-Mills looked like absolute dog shit.

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-08-2016, 12:05 AM
I think Tim is fine against the Warriors, just stop running pick and rolls with him and Parker.

ElNono
04-08-2016, 12:06 AM
You forgot:

- Pop plays LMA on a meaningless game and gets hurt, which might costs us dearly...

Mugen
04-08-2016, 12:07 AM
You forgot:

- Pop plays LMA on a meaningless game and gets hurt, which might costs us dearly...
ElNono.

eDizzle20
I liked Anderson's play. Play under control offensively and rebounded well. D wasn't bad either.

100%duncan
You forgot:

Meh. I was scared as fuck. But Pop wont put him back if he wasnt fine.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:08 AM
I liked Anderson's play. Play under control offensively and rebounded well. D wasn't bad either.

Kyle played well. Props.

SPURt
The biggest take away aside from the LMA injury was that Kyle has the potential to make an impact against the Warriors.

timtonymanu
Meh. I was scared as fuck. But Pop wont put him back if he wasnt fine.

If that was Splitter, guarantee he's out for the next two seasons.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:09 AM
The biggest take away aside from the LMA injury was that Kyle has the potential to make an impact against the Warriors.

I would've liked to add that. But i'm still iffy if he plays some meaningful minutes past round 1. Played well tonight though.

sananspursfan21
I agree. This was a mail in jobby worthy of being mentioned with half of last season's performances.

daslicer
You forgot:

It reminds me when he made the dumbass decision to play Manu against the Suns in the final game of the 2011 season which resulted in Manu breaking his arm.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:12 AM

People saying LMA is soft :lol

UZER
You forgot:

Can't blame Pop for Aldridge going revers right into Boguts hand when he had a clean layup on the other side.

The Whopper
Who is our best guard?

Splits
- The two Barnes 3s at the end of the 2nd half killed our momentum after we had it to 6 with under 2 to go.
- Two really poor consecutive pNr defensive plays with Parker on Curry. Parker was expecting the switch and neither Kawhi or Duncan switched. Caused a layup and a 3. Not sure who missed the assignments but they were totally blown plays.
- Patty guarding Curry is a joke, he got torched in the 3rd, 7 layups.
- LMA was dog shit but I'll chalk that up to busting his pinkie. Late in the game he was running to cover a corner 3 and literally twisted his body to contest with his left hand, probably hurt like shit

z0sa
04-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Lol so true.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Who is our best guard?

Against GSW? Gotta be parker.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:14 AM
- The two Barnes 3s at the end of the 2nd half killed our momentum after we had it to 6 with under 2 to go.
- Two really poor consecutive pNr defensive plays with Parker on Curry. Parker was expecting the switch and neither Kawhi or Duncan switched. Caused a layup and a 3. Not sure who missed the assignments but they were totally blown plays.
- Patty guarding Curry is a joke, he got torched in the 3rd, 7 layups.
- LMA was dog shit but I'll chalk that up to busting his pinkie. Late in the game he was running to cover a corner 3 and literally twisted his body to contest with his left hand, probably hurt like shit
Yup. Game was pretty much lost after that. Still if there was a moral victory, this was it.

steeledl
I think Tim is fine against the Warriors, just stop running pick and rolls with him and Parker.

Too slow........

Darius Bieber
Only takeaway is that the Spurs cannot beat the Warriors. Probably can't even beat OKC in the playoffs.

Keepin' it real
It reminds me when he made the dumbass decision to play Manu against the Suns in the final game of the 2011 season which resulted in Manu breaking his arm.

Yes, because that team featuring Dick Jefferson, Dejuan Blair, Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner was really going places.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
04-08-2016, 12:15 AM
I agree with OP.
We better make the shots we were missing all night tonight in SA.
Learn from this one and move one

RD2191
Only takeaway is that the Spurs cannot beat the Warriors. Probably can't even beat OKC in the playoffs.

100%duncan

You're being faggots tbh. Just discuss basketball.

steeledl

He played some shit defense and Golden State didn't even guard him outside of 16 feet.... so that will be good for spacing.

DMC
04-08-2016, 12:16 AM
Pop fell into the "everyone guard Steph" trap. It's how GS got to 70.

UZER
04-08-2016, 12:16 AM
KA needs to put his big boy pants on and take shots. He's overpassing.

they aren't gonna double aldridge in the post when greens on him until he starts scoring. He's playing right into greens hands when he does the slows pound the ball back down because green ain't gonna budge. He needs to be quick and decisive with the ball. Dribble pull up. Dribble fadeaway. Not dribble dribble dribble dribble weeny shot.

daslicer
04-08-2016, 12:17 AM
Yes, because that team featuring Dick Jefferson, Dejuan Blair, Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner was really going places.

Well it was still a dumbass move for him to do that there is no way of spinning it. Retarded response to cover up Pop's ineptitude.

tbdog
04-08-2016, 12:17 AM
why is that just like the other game in the GS, Pop doesn't call many plays. I never saw our normal plays except for the occasional zipper loop.

MultiTroll
04-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Can't blame Pop for Aldridge going revers right into Boguts hand when he had a clean layup on the other side.
Weird play. As you mentioned he had the clear shot. Overthank, brought the ball back down, tried to get cutsie.
Bogus didn't block his shot. Self inflicted brain fart.

Splits
Oh, and Raymond Screen gets away with a ton of shit. Not just illegal picks, but pushing, grabbing, knocking into guys coming off of our picks when his man is the screener. He's my new Kobe (role player that I hate)

Ditty
Need to stop switching everything every defensive possession also, makes things too obvious and too many easy baskets also.

TheGreatYacht
04-08-2016, 12:20 AM
Good summary, OP

Chinook
I think you can see how a game would have to go for the Spurs to steal one at Oracle. That Green was able to show up offensively for this game is huge to the Spurs' chances. In addition to that, Curry didn't have his swagger at all, even when the Warriors were up big. Draymond had it, but I don't think Steph feels comfortable playing the Spurs. To site what I'm sure Mid will soon, Leonard and Aldridge only scored one fewer point than the Splash Bros. And that's with LMA's injury. That's the second game in a row that those two were contained. I think this game was good for Pop to get film on how GS was going to respond to the Spurs' switching strategy. Also, Anderson showed more evidence that he could be part of the rotation against the Warriors, and it was great to see Martin play decisively.

Bad news is that Duncan and Manu looked done. Just toast. If they can bring it for one last run, it would definitely be huge for the team. But tonight was awful. I do think the Warriors' adjustments are good enough to warrant counter-adjustments. Having a healthy LMA and Diaw would be nice for keeping the score low. But the team got the break of the Warriors making some STUPID turnovers. So it's probably a wash. I'd say Tim should be benched against GS from here on out. Let Diaw and LMA start. Manu's minutes may have to be limited even further unless he's having a great game.

I still think that Pop has a strategy that he's yet to show. However, the current strategy is fine so long as it has a few tweaks. The Spurs are just going to have to man up and make their layups. Would have been a completely different game had even a couple of those fallen in.

SanDiegoSpursFan
Too slow........
I still think the Spurs need to play slow to beat the Warriors. If the game is too fast for Duncan they're gonna lose anyway; the only thing they have to worry about is Duncan switching out onto Curry and that didn't even happen in the 1st quarter, it only happened once in the third quarter when the Spurs were sputtering and the Warriors were rolling.

UZER
04-08-2016, 12:22 AM
Oh, and Raymond Screen gets away with a ton of shit. Not just illegal picks, but pushing, grabbing, knocking into guys coming off of our picks when his man is the screener. He's my new Kobe (role player that I hate)

Until someone mans the fuck up against him and gets in his face, the refs aren't ever gonna be forced to call shit against him and will continue to just swallow the whistle.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:22 AM
Good summary, OP

My kawhi-hating nigga tbh :tu

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:24 AM
I think you can see how a game would have to go for the Spurs to steal one at Oracle. That Green was able to show up offensively for this game is huge to the Spurs' chances. In addition to that, Curry didn't have his swagger at all, even when the Warriors were up big. Draymond had it, but I don't think Steph feels comfortable playing the Spurs. To site what I'm sure Mid will soon, Leonard and Aldridge only scored one fewer point than the Splash Bros. And that's with LMA's injury. That's the second game in a row that those two were contained. I think this game was good for Pop to get film on how GS was going to respond to the Spurs' switching strategy. Also, Anderson showed more evidence that he could be part of the rotation against the Warriors, and it was great to see Martin play decisively.

Bad news is that Duncan and Manu looked done. Just toast. If they can bring it for one last run, it would definitely be huge for the team. But tonight was awful. I do think the Warriors' adjustments are good enough to warrant counter-adjustments. Having a healthy LMA and Diaw would be nice for keeping the score low. But the team got the break of the Warriors making some STUPID turnovers. So it's probably a wash. I'd say Tim should be benched against GS from here on out. Let Diaw and LMA start. Manu's minutes may have to be limited even further unless he's having a great game.

I still think that Pop has a strategy that he's yet to show. However, the current strategy is fine so long as it has a few tweaks. The Spurs are just going to have to man up and make their layups. Would have been a completely different game had even a couple of those fallen in.

Yup. Like I said, moral victory imho.

I think Tim is not done. But he's just not the guy you go to for this match-up.

SpurPadre
04-08-2016, 12:24 AM
My main takeaway is that no team can beat this team at the Oracle in a game 7. If we're to beat them, it has to be in 6.

pgardn
04-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Good:
-Parker is ok for this matchup. He has proven he can guard the post-ups against thompson and barnes. He's also our best bet aside from Diaw to control the tempo.
-Danny Green caught fire, somewhat. His defense was always there, some steals here, deflections, we just need him catching fire like twice in 7 games tbh.
-Kawhi can play in Oracle. LMA also can, just sad that he got injured. Actually looked like a slow-paced game before the injury. Keep posting Kawhi and LMA and we'll be fine.
-We showed some heart :lol cliche as fuck. But I expect to win in a blow-out on Sunday. Hope Bobo plays.
-Pop showed some nice coaching. Refusing to give up and actually trying to learn something from the game unlike the first game in January.

Bad:

Holy fck.

Basically agree.

100%duncan
My main takeaway is that no team can beat this team at the Oracle in a game 7. If we're to beat them, it has to be in 6.

Well, yah.

100%duncan
Holy fck.

Basically agree.

Damn. :lol

No energy to argue/fight. I'm happy with how the game went honestly.

TheGreatYacht
04-08-2016, 12:33 AM
My kawhi-hating nigga tbh :tu
:tu

Gonna open up a new tab and check out clutchfans, :lol. short bus spamming makes this place unreadable

YGWHI
04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Pop showed some nice coaching
IDK...
-In two consecutive plays we saw Parker trying to run P&Rs with Tim even with Kawhi and LMA on the court.

-The only reason that Kawhi got some touches in the 3rd quarter was because of LMA's injury. Pop sacrifices Kawhi's offense in the 3 games against the Warriors for...not sure why.
I wouldn't say that Parker and LMA have the favorable matchups against them over Kawhi's, but they're still taking a lot more shots than him per possessions.

-He put Patty on Curry too much...Pop has been very reluctant to change our 2nd unit backcourt but Patty-Manu can't play together against Warriors, especially when Keer plays Curry the entire 1st and 3rd quarter.

midnightpulp
04-08-2016, 12:34 AM

5 fewer points.

That's an acceptable deficit. Problem is, the Warriors have other guys who are threats to score 15-20 any given night (consistently. Not this 20 point game followed by 5 to 7 single digit games shit) while we have none.

marinoman
04-08-2016, 12:36 AM
More Kevin Martin, less ginobili. I like Manu but not in this series,same with Tim

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:39 AM
IDK...
-In two consecutive plays we saw Parker trying to run P&Rs with Tim even with Kawhi and LMA on the court.

-The only reason that Kawhi got some touches in the 3rd quarter was because of LMA's injury. Pop sacrifices Kawhi's offense in the 3 games against the Warriors for...not sure why.
I wouldn't say that Parker and LMA have the favorable matchups against them over Kawhi's, but they're still taking a lot more shots than him per possessions.

-He put Patty on Curry too much...Pop has been very reluctant to change our 2nd unit backcourt but Patty-Manu can't play together against Warriors, especially when Keer plays Curry the entire 1st and 3rd quarter.

I think running plays for TD goes on to all games tbh. But big factor is that Bobo was out. The 2nd game showed us Pop knows how and this game showed us he's trying to mix something up/learn/ not give up too early.

If we want to win, we need to run a lot of plays for LMA. And some on Parker. It can't be all Kawhi.

Mills on Curry was BAD. But that wasnt the case the 2nd game. Maybe Pop just wanted to see where Patty is at? It's not in a good place though. Gonna be tough to play him if he doesnt make shots. But to be fair to Patty, they lay-up drill during the 3rd was because of West and Bonner.

cjw
04-08-2016, 12:42 AM

Just pray that a bunch of tech geeks buy up all the tickets to impress girls who will never sleep with them and price the real fans out.

midnightpulp
04-08-2016, 12:43 AM
I think running plays for TD goes on to all games tbh. But big factor is that Bobo was out. The 2nd game showed us Pop knows how and this game showed us he's trying to mix something up/learn/ not give up too early.

If we want to win, we need to run a lot of plays for LMA. And some on Parker. It can't be all Kawhi.

Mills on Curry was BAD. But that wasnt the case the 2nd game. Maybe Pop just wanted to see where Patty is at? It's not in a good place though. Gonna be tough to play him if he doesnt make shots. But to be fair to Patty, they lay-up drill during the 3rd was because of West and Bonner.

He'll never understand that. He wants Kawhi eating like Kobe.

YGWHI
04-08-2016, 12:44 AM

We missed Bobo, but those Parker-Tim P&Rs aren't efffective against Warriors.

Of course not, but the team should mix it up. If you look the numbers (FGA per 36 and USG%) Kawhi's the 3rd option against Warriors, and it's not even close.
That's not a winning formula.

He'll never understand that. He wants Kawhi eating like Kobe.
If you think that we can win a 7-games-series against Warriors with Kawhi being the 3rd option...

SpurPadre
04-08-2016, 12:47 AM
Just pray that a bunch of tech geeks buy up all the tickets to impress girls who will never sleep with them and price the real fans out.

But that's what they always do there, believe me, I live 25 minutes from there.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:48 AM
We missed Bobo, but those Parker-Tim P&Rs aren't efffective against Warriors.

Of course not, but the team should mix it up. If you look the numbers (FGA per 36 and USG%) Kawhi's the 3rd option against Warriors. And not even close.
That's not a winning formula.

-Hell, it's not effect against any teams. Might be better against the Warriors with a healthy Diaw which will force Pop to go away from it, I mean if we can see it, it's impossible a HoF coach cant.

-I refuse to use the first game included on any stat tbh. That's a clusterfuck. The 2nd game was ok. LMA and Bobo will be really key. I'll be fine with LMA/Kawhi splitting and Bobo becomes 3rd option. Again, Bobo being out makes this game difficult to analyze offense-wise. I mean yeah, complain about touches but we kinda lost on defense IMHO. Though our shooting was dogshit. But that 3rd quarter man..

dabom
04-08-2016, 12:50 AM
:tu

Gonna open up a new tab and check out clutchfans, :lol. short bus spamming makes this place unreadable

I love me some clutchfans after a houston loss. :corn:

YGWHI
04-08-2016, 12:50 AM

Maybe. But Pop only exacerbates the problem playing him with Manu...We'll see next game.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Maybe. But Pop only exacerbates the problem playing him with Manu...We'll see next game.

If Bobo plays, and with how the team toughed it out this game, I don't see any reason why we cant blow them out.

Jelloisjigglin
04-08-2016, 12:54 AM

Arcadian
04-08-2016, 12:56 AM
You forgot:

There was no reason to rest him in this game. This isnt a nagging injury. It was a random unlucky event, and will fully heal before the playoffs. I liked the decision to play everyone tonight and rest tomorrow at Denver.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:01 AM
- The two Barnes 3s at the end of the 2nd half killed our momentum after we had it to 6 with under 2 to go

Porky got switched onto Draymond & Kawhi tried to help off Barnes

Two really poor consecutive pNr defensive plays with Parker on Curry. Parker was expecting the switch and neither Kawhi or Duncan switched. Caused a layup and a 3. Not sure who missed the assignments but they were totally blown plays.

Tim sagged when freakin' Bogut set a high screen at the 3 point-line.:lol (TRAP & MAKE BOGUT A SCORER!)

Patty guarding Curry is a joke, he got torched in the 3rd, 7 layups.

Danny didn't even guard him for one possession, chalk it up to Pop not giving a fuck.

YGWHI
04-08-2016, 01:03 AM
If Bobo plays, and with how the team toughed it out this game, I don't see any reason why we cant blow them out.

The real spirit of the game :flag:

Just hope Pop doesn't troll us and sit all guys on Sunday...

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 01:07 AM
The real spirit of the game :flag:

Just hope Pop doesn't troll us and sit all guys on Sunday...

He already announced they'll play :tu

spursistan
04-08-2016, 01:10 AM
Good series of tweet from Seth Partnow on Spurs' offensive troubles with Warriors..

Splits
04-08-2016, 01:10 AM
Porky got switched onto Draymond & Kawhi tried to help off Barnes

The first one he was in the corner, Danny barely sagged and gave a great contest. That was a luck shot. The second one had too much space.

YGWHI
04-08-2016, 01:14 AM
He already announced they'll play :tu

:bobo

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 01:18 AM
Good:

Bad:

Surprisingly agree with all of this 100%Duncan though you and I don't see eye to eye all the time.
Agree with your take.

I think the key is we might have to split up TD and LMA. The rest of the minutes at the 4, give to Boris a majority, then Kyle and then some to Kawhi if you want to go micro ball for a few minutes to close out the game for example. West offensively yes he can pass, yes he can shoot, but he can't guard a super fast team, he can't guard in transition and he's not a rim protector. HIm boxing out and rebounding? :lol Not on time.

Not just this team, the raptors and pretty much any team with a decent guard scores on West easily even when he hangs back on PnR defense by a lot. He has so many other positives for our bench but Center is a defensive position first basically and he can't be that in the playoffs. Pop doesn't want to but he's going to have to split TD and LMA. D.West maybe doesn't get to play as much.

It was Chinook if I remember correctly who Nostradamused that long ago.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:20 AM
I'd say Tim should be benched against GS from here on out. Let Diaw and LMA start. Manu's minutes may have to be limited even further unless he's having a great game

I agree Tim should be benched but he should still be part of the rotation. West got obliterated on defense & was just shooting jumpers; Tim can play when Curry is on the bench. Start LMA/Diaw & bring Tim/Kyle off the bench.

I also don't mind have a short leash on Manu since K-Mart seems playable.

So rotation against Worriers:

LMA/Tim
Diaw/Kyle/West
Kawhi/Manu/Simmons
Danny/K-Mart
Porky/Patty/Dre

Inactive: Bonner/Boban

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:22 AM
The first one he was in the corner, Danny barely sagged and gave a great contest. That was a luck shot. The second one had too much space.

Barnes was playing like Durant; if he does that in the playoffs then tip your hat to him.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 01:22 AM
He might end up playing more 4 with the SL, who knows? Our starting lineup did better with him than with TD.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 01:23 AM
Kyle played well. Props.
:bobo :tu

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 01:24 AM
:bobo :tu

:toast to your boy

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 01:25 AM
Surprisingly agree with all of this 100%Duncan though you and I don't see eye to eye all the time.
Agree with your take.

I think the key is we might have to split up TD and LMA. The rest of the minutes at the 4, give to Boris a majority, then Kyle and then some to Kawhi if you want to go micro ball for a few minutes to close out the game for example. West offensively yes he can pass, yes he can shoot, but he can't guard a super fast team, he can't guard in transition and he's not a rim protector. HIm boxing out and rebounding? :lol Not on time.

Not just this team, the raptors and pretty much any team with a decent guard scores on West easily even when he hangs back on PnR defense by a lot. He has so many other positives for our bench but Center is a defensive position first basically and he can't be that in the playoffs. Pop doesn't want to but he's going to have to split TD and LMA. D.West maybe doesn't get to play as much.

It was Chinook if I remember correctly who Nostradamused that long ago.

I've usually put it on West being undersized. Im still not overreacting to him but his D was really shit this game. Seemed like his mind wasnt on it. Im fine with him getting shat on due to his limitations but not due to his lack of focus. Hope it's a one time thing.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 01:26 AM
had to bump your post bc I agree. This is not the only game he has helped us. Just remember that doubters.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:27 AM
Su

I think Pop figured that out after the first matchup when he benched Tim/West.:lol Today, the only revelation was Kyle being playable even against their starters & that K-Mart won't be a net negative against their bench.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 01:27 AM
I've usually put it on West being undersized. Im still not overreacting to him but his D was really shit this game. Seemed like his mind wasnt on it. Im fine with him getting shat on due to his limitations but not due to his lack of focus. Hope it's a one time thing.
I don't shit on him regularly or give hot takes against him. He is undersized, but I have seen the layup lines all these past games to know they are not a rarity but a norm.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 01:29 AM
Kmart playing ok is also big too. As long as he's not shit on defense and scores, esp with Mills being shit on both ends of the floor.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 01:30 AM
I think Pop figured that out after the first matchup when he benched Tim/West.:lol Today, the only revelation was Kyle being playable even against their starter & that K-Mart won't be a net negative against their bench.
So all in all, good things we learned.

SPURt
04-08-2016, 01:41 AM
had to bump your post bc I agree. This is not the only game he has helped us. Just remember that doubters.
I don't understand all the pessimism I've seen on this board about KA? I love the abstract cadence to his movement, his passing, and he isn't a bad shooter.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2016, 01:42 AM
I don't think there was much to take away from the game, it was an expected loss and I was disappointed that Pop even played the starters, tbh..

The Spurs must have liked what they saw in the last game from a strategical standpoint, since we didn't see much of the same tonight..regardless, though, it would have been difficult to win with the way the Warriors were shooting for some of their hot stretches tonight..

It was already evident from the prior matchup that Duncan can't play against them, so that wasn't anything new..Mills' struggles against the Warriors are a huge problem, though, he's becoming unplayable in this matchup, which is terrible news, since you don't want Tony on the floor for too long..

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:55 AM
The Spurs must have liked what they saw in the last game from a strategical standpoint, since we didn't see much of the same tonigh

Defensively, yeah. Offensively, it was the same FORCE feed LMA strategy but he fucked up his pinky & was out of wack the rest of the game. Diaw didn't play so him posting up Barnes wasn't a factor for the "Death" lineup.

regardless, though, it would have been difficult to win with the way the Warriors were shooting for some of their hot stretches tonight.

You mean when D-West was on the floor & they were getting ANYTHING they wanted. Patty wasn't much better on D.:lol

It was already evident from the prior matchup that Duncan can't play against them, so that wasn't anything new

Tim was getting benched in 2013 b/c he couldn't guard the high PnR but he should be fine when Livingston/Iggy are running the point.

Mills' struggles against the Warriors are a huge problem, though, he's becoming unplayable in this matchup, which is terrible news, since you don't want Tony on the floor for too long..

He should NEVER play against Curry, put him on Barbosa (not Livingston) & hope he can play him to a draw. Unfortunately, Porker is going to have to play major minutes & it's not like Pop is going to bench him anyways.:lol (Klay can't score on him for some odd reason:lol)

Hoops Czar
04-08-2016, 01:56 AM
They are who some of us thought they were, A 1-dimensional offense and a not so historic defense.

Hoops Czar
04-08-2016, 01:59 AM
I don't think there was much to take away from the game, it was an expected loss and I was disappointed that Pop even played the starters, tbh..

The Spurs must have liked what they saw in the last game from a strategical standpoint, since we didn't see much of the same tonight..regardless, though, it would have been difficult to win with the way the Warriors were shooting for some of their hot stretches tonight..

It was already evident from the prior matchup that Duncan can't play against them, so that wasn't anything new..Mills' struggles against the Warriors are a huge problem, though, he's becoming unplayable in this matchup, which is terrible news, since you don't want Tony on the floor for too long..

His struggles are of his own doing. He's a terrible defender, creater and he's a very erratic shooter.

rmt
04-08-2016, 02:01 AM
Kmart playing ok is also big too. As long as he's not shit on defense and scores, esp with Mills being shit on both ends of the floor.

That crossover on Kmart by Barnes was terrible. At first I thought it was Bonner but no...

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 02:04 AM

It was more of a not playing your A game and not getting blown out tbh. I'm feeling good. Of course, this all goes to shit if we lose on Sunday. We'll see.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2016, 02:04 AM
His struggles are of his own doing. He's a terrible defender, creater and he's a very erratic shooter.

Meh, he's having a really good season, just seems to match up poorly vs. the Warriors, though..

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2016, 02:06 AM
It was more of a not playing your A game and not getting blown out tbh. I'm feeling good. Of course, this all goes to shit if we lose on Sunday. We'll see.

It was kind of a blow out, though, despite the final score stating otherwise..

Obviously the Spurs didn't play their A game and their defensive strategy was completely different than the last game, but the Warriors would be serious favorites in a series for a reason IMO..their advantages are easier to exploit over a 7-game stretch IMO and the Spurs just aren't nearly as impressive on the road as they are at home, it's virtually a different team..

Fireball
04-08-2016, 02:08 AM
the takeaway is that you even might get a win at Oracle, but you also at least lose one at home because one Warrior gets freakin hot ... it was Barnes tonight and either Curry or Thompson will get their big game in a playoff series

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 02:10 AM
Meh, he's having a really good season, just seems to match up poorly vs. the Warriors, though..

No different than him being terrible against OKC in 2014, even Fisher was torching him.:lol (At least Barbosa ain't Reggie Jackson)

Andre might get minutes like CoJo did in 2014 if Patty is wetting the bed.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 02:10 AM
I don't understand all the pessimism I've seen on this board about KA? I love the abstract cadence to his movement, his passing, and he isn't a bad shooter.
Honestly I don't either. He barely played his rook season, let's be honest. This season was his real chance, and he came ready. Owned every lower league he played in, owned summer league. He has gotten better with each month and opportunities to the point he has started games, helped us win a lot of games, and earned his time in a very veteran team.

I am guessing some guys are just disappointed that the most promising youngster we have is not an ultra athletic fast dude, and that bias has prevented them from appreciating what he brings to our team. He's a very different player from Manu and frankly we are seeing him develop b4 our very eyes. He might not be a 6th man. He could potentially be starting for this team next season if Timmy retires and he hits the weight room. We don't know yet what he can ultimately be. He fits the starters to a T, bc they need more playmaking and passing, and that is Kyle's strength. He needs to play with guys who can score, so he can find them in spots.

For this season he needs to be more aggressive and that is true, but wasn't Kawhi very passive his rookie season? Wasn't Cojo passive too? It takes time for guys to shake just the level of skill, size, strength, finishing through contact, all the times you get pushed and shoved and nothing gets called? Which is why I think he always looks to dish to LMA. He gets hit really hard on those drives when he draws shot blockers into the paint as a decoy but they are not going to call those fouls on him, so he always dishes. If you put him in perspective with his development you will realize what a nice player he is for his age and the opportunities he gets (very irregular specially earlier in the season splitting time with Simmons and played off the ball as a spot up shooter? Not a very good use for him at all. I think Pop is getting to know his game this season frankly as the season has gone along. Last season he wasn't integrated and he was in the dleague, which Pop admits he doesn't watch, and Pop has played him at 3 positions legitimately). Ultimately they have a plan with him, but are taking their time like they did with Leonard.

I am sure he will be better next season. For this season, we probably need him to be more aggressive anyways. I hope his teammates are begging the crap out of him to shoot that ball. I think they are.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 02:11 AM
That crossover on Kmart by Barnes was terrible. At first I thought it was Bonner but no...

Barnes was playing like Durant the ENTIRE game, he hit a 3 in Kawhi's face.:sleep

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 02:13 AM
It was kind of a blow out, though, despite the final score stating otherwise..

Obviously the Spurs didn't play their A game and their defensive strategy was completely different than the last game, but the Warriors would be serious favorites in a series for a reason IMO..their advantages are easier to exploit over a 7-game stretch IMO and the Spurs just aren't nearly as impressive on the road as they are at home, it's virtually a different team..
Yah but it was a game at the half. And respectable to say the least in the 4th. The defense in the 3rd killed us though. Yeah I dont think any spursfan considers us favorites in a 7 game series, esp with HCA, but all it takes is 1 win in Oracle. And the boys showed signs of capability doing it imho.

Edit: I think the 11 point loss is like a good thing psychologically tbh.

PopTheGOAT
04-08-2016, 02:14 AM
Team didn't look like they gave af tbh

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 02:22 AM
No different than him being terrible against OKC in 2014, even Fisher was torching him.:lol (At least Barbosa ain't Reggie Jackson)

Andre might get minutes like CoJo did in 2014 if Patty is wetting the bed.
Patty was going to be a headache against Clippers Austin Rivers too.
I hope next game Pop tries A.Miller. If he is going to experiment with something new, that might be something to try.

Hoops Czar
04-08-2016, 02:23 AM

You can add to that.... terrible against Cleveland, Toronto, and OKC too. Maybe he just struggles against better teams. A crying shame really because if 2013-14 Danny Green doesn't show up soon, I can't see them beating GS in a series.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 02:27 AM
Yah but it was a game at the half. And respectable to say the least in the 4th. The defense in the 3rd killed us though. Yeah I dont think any spursfan considers us favorites in a 7 game series, esp with HCA, but all it takes is 1 win in Oracle. And the boys showed signs of capability doing it imho.

Edit: I think the 11 point loss is like a good thing psychologically tbh.
Definitely the come back in the end is a good thing. :tu

playbonner15
04-08-2016, 02:33 AM
Definitely the come back in the end is a good thing. :tu
Nope. The Spurs made shots in garbage time. Regular season though so it still doesnt mean anything. But the Spurs' offensive woes continue

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2016, 02:34 AM
The problem with "all it takes is one win at the oracle" is that it doesn't. Because the Warriors will definitely win a game in SA come playoff time.

Hell, the Spurs lost two home games in the playoffs last year and it cost them dearly. Still, great points 100%duncan :tu

PopTheGOAT
04-08-2016, 02:34 AM
I hope next game Pop tries A.Miller. If he is going to experiment with something new, that might be something to try.
I'm all for experimenting but geez...if you think Patty is bad at defense wait until you see Miller trying to chase around GS guards/forwards :lol

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 02:35 AM
Nope. The Spurs made shots in garbage time. Regular season though so it still doesnt mean anything. But the Spurs' offensive woes continue
Well if you want to be all down and not see any positives then fine... But to me they did attempt a comeback but couldn't fully carry it out. It could have really been a 30 pt blowout had they not buckled down in the end. We know it could have been worse.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 02:36 AM
I'm all for experimenting but geez...if you think Patty is bad at defense wait until you see Miller trying to chase around GS guards/forwards :lol
These games are meaningless in the grand scheme. We are the 2nd seed and it doesn't change anything. I want to see something/someone different.

Splits
04-08-2016, 02:43 AM
These games are meaningless in the grand scheme. We are the 2nd seed and it doesn't change anything. I want to see something/someone different.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CffzZWdWcAA-bqf.jpg:large

Hoops Czar
04-08-2016, 02:50 AM
Well if you want to be all down and not see any positives then fine... But to me they did attempt a comeback but couldn't fully carry it out. It could have really been a 30 pt blowout had they not buckled down in the end. We know it could have been worse.

Don't take this personal but if your seeing a silver lining in the fact that the Spurs were only blown out by 11 points instead of 30, I don't know what to tell ya. A loss is a loss by any other name. There are no moral victories here.

Great news!!!! You're going to want to tune in to tomorrow's game against Denver. I have a sneaky suspicion you'll be seeing a lot of Matty, Boban, Kyle and Jonathon. That should be a nice change of pace for a change. I'll be at a night club if you need me.

weeks
04-08-2016, 02:52 AM
We are gonna stomp these fuckers on Sunday.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 03:06 AM
Don't take this personal but if your seeing a silver lining in the fact that the Spurs were only blown out by 11 points instead of 30, I don't know what to tell ya. A loss is a loss by any other name. There are no moral victories here.

Great news!!!! You're going to want to tune in to tomorrow's game against Denver. I have a sneaky suspicion you'll be seeing a lot of Matty, Boban, Kyle and Jonathon. That should be a nice change of pace for a change. I'll be at a night club if you need me.
lol you had to read the comments within a context.

I obviously meant that I don't mind experimenting with guys and lineups like A.Miller (was glad to see K.Martin since we needed a scoring punch) bc these games don't lift us up or down in the standings. They don't mean anything for seeding and the only thing we get from them are learning opportunities, rhythm, practice repts for the veterans, and development opportunities for Kyle.

You can't enjoy basketball if you don't see moral victories when certain guys play well or execute something to try to come back at the end, particularly in the RS. Its still a loss and I am sour and don't hate on others who are more sour than me. But in this one we were better than in January and I saw some positive things.

Then really some guys were not very good, which 100%Duncan mentioned in his post so no need to rehash.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 03:10 AM

Didn't Pop or RC say he was signed b/c they thought he would come in handy against big guards like Livingston?

In 2005, Spurs signed Glenn Robinson in April who played only a handful of games in the regular season but had a couple of cameos in the playoffs so that might be Miller's role. (K-Mart ACTUALLY has a spot in the rotation as a backup wing if Pop decides D-West is unplayable against the Worriers & roll w/ Kyle as the backup 4)

8AcN841lAK0

KenziE
04-08-2016, 03:19 AM
We got this fam we got this

cd021
04-08-2016, 03:49 AM

Agreed, solid on the defensive glass. Like that he can bring the ball up the floor, Duncan tends to hold the ball for a couple of seconds looking for an outlet before tossing the ball to Parker who is only a few few ahead of him.

One worry is his ability to space the floor. Had an open 3, up faked, drove and then posted before tossing it to Parker back on the perimeter. KA is a good midrange shooter and can get his own shot though. I would like him more as a PF against the Warriors, replacing West in the lineup.

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 03:50 AM
Didn't Pop or RC say he was signed b/c they thought he would come in handy against big guards like Livingston?

In 2005, Spurs signed Glenn Robinson in April who played only a handful of games in the regular season but had a couple of cameos in the playoffs so that might be Miller's role. (K-Mart ACTUALLY has a spot in the rotation as a backup wing if Pop decides D-West is unplayable against the Worriers & roll w/ Kyle as the backup 4)

8AcN841lAK0
It was RC. Yea you don't put him on speedy guards, but guards who like to post up by all means. I agree on Kmart. H'es still a situational player, but he could see time when we need scoring like we did in this case bc Patty and Manu were cold shooting. I was glad to see he still has his scoring punch. The most disappointing to me about him was precisely that he had not been producing much offensively bc in moments when we need instant offense he wasn't providing that, but he did in this case.

Although he's been edged out by Kyle currently, he is damned good insurance to have if Patty and/or Manu are not having a good game like they did here. Since at least Patty is so deficient defensively anyways, I would not be opposed to even a Patty/Kmart swap if Patty is getting burned and chucking bricks out there.

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 03:51 AM
The problem with "all it takes is one win at the oracle" is that it doesn't. Because the Warriors will definitely win a game in SA come playoff time.

Hell, the Spurs lost two home games in the playoffs last year and it cost them dearly. Still, great points 100%duncan :tu

I mean yeah for sure. But as I always say with that argument, if you need more than 1 win at oracle, then you didn't deserve to win in the first place.

DenialTwist
04-08-2016, 03:53 AM
Spurs guards are a big problem against the Warriors. Mills is too small to defend Curry or Livingston. But Tony Parker is going to be the biggest reason this team will not go far in the playoffs. Everyone else must be blind if they don't see how much the ball sticks with him. There is no ball movement with him on the court. He also can't run a pnr with Duncan anymore. Why Pop doesn't run more Kawhi/LMA PnR boggles my mind. It is very effective. Parker will get killed by Westbrook and if they're lucky to get past OKC, get torched by Curry. Spurs need to plan and prepare this offseason looking for a younger more athletic starting pg if they want to beat the Warriors and get back to the Finals. Parker as a consistent 3rd scoring option, it's just not happening. Indy wants to replace George Hill. Does anyone think he might go back to SA?

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 04:08 AM
There is no ball movement with him on the court. He also can't run a pnr with Duncan anymore. Why Pop doesn't run more Kawhi/LMA PnR boggles my mind. It is very effective.

Pop is saving the Kawhi/LMA PnR for the postseason, he's letting the old folks enjoy the twilight of their career in the regular season while winning 60+ games. Pop didn't play around last postseason & benched Manu against the Clippers.:lol

Parker will get killed by Westbrook

No reason to put Parker on WestBrick, OKC has trashy wing-players to hide Porker including Roberson. (Pop put Kawhi on Westbrook & Danny on Durant)

Indy wants to replace George Hill. Does anyone think he might go back to SA?

Could be brought back in 2017 when Patty's contract expires. (Hill will be a free-agent)

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 04:30 AM
Spurs guards are a big problem against the Warriors. Mills is too small to defend Curry or Livingston. But Tony Parker is going to be the biggest reason this team will not go far in the playoffs. Everyone else must be blind if they don't see how much the ball sticks with him. There is no ball movement with him on the court. He also can't run a pnr with Duncan anymore. Why Pop doesn't run more Kawhi/LMA PnR boggles my mind. It is very effective. Parker will get killed by Westbrook and if they're lucky to get past OKC, get torched by Curry. Spurs need to plan and prepare this offseason looking for a younger more athletic starting pg if they want to beat the Warriors and get back to the Finals. Parker as a consistent 3rd scoring option, it's just not happening. Indy wants to replace George Hill. Does anyone think he might go back to SA?

Hill is so overrated by this board

tholdren
04-08-2016, 05:38 AM
Danny green and his shit defense blindly defended by spurstards is still the takeaway.

SASdynasty!
04-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Tim looked bad on offense, but I don't remember all those defensive blunders when he was playing. I could be wrong, but it seemed like most of the layup lapses were when he was out.

Splits
04-08-2016, 07:04 AM
Hill is so overrated by this board

Please no Hill, unless it is Paul George.

hooperflash
04-08-2016, 08:15 AM
My takeaway is that they (GSW) will be humbled in the post season . Book it!

Keepin' it real
04-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Don't take this personal but...

Why is it that something personal always follows those words?

cutewizard
04-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Diaw at center, LMA and Kawhi at forwards

Anderson and Simmons at guard!

_---------------------------------------------------

guys, may i ask? can this line-up work against the Warriors????

just thinking

cutewizard
04-08-2016, 09:50 AM
i really, i really like the game of Kyle

when Manu and Tim retires, my new idols shall be: LMA, Kawhi and Anderson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
04-08-2016, 09:50 AM
the next big three:

Kawhi, LMA and Kyle

cutewizard
04-08-2016, 09:52 AM

_-------------------------------------------

take Parker away from the SL

get JOhn Wall, then G Hill can be his backup

and we are set for the next decade, hahahaha

cutewizard
04-08-2016, 09:52 AM
My takeaway is that they (GSW) will be humbled in the post season . Book it!

--------------------------------------------------

me too!!!!

love this!!!!!

BELIEVE!!!! IT CAN BE DONE, BOYS

NameLess Scrub
04-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Splits
04-08-2016, 10:32 AM
I love how whenever I open a thread and see cutewizard post I always know there are going to be at least 4 more consecutive posts and then.... there are

wildbill2u
04-08-2016, 11:34 AM
We didn't get anything from our centers (Tim and West) in this game. Tim's stat line was pathetic (3rb, 2TO, 4 on 2-6) and his defense wasn't there against the speedy DUBS front line either. If you notice his TOs they are usually when another player just slaps the ball out of his hands and then Tim looks like a very old man trying to find the ball on the floor. How many times lately have we seen that result in Tim falling down on the floor? It is very sad to see, but Father Time beats us all.

West passed up a lot of shots and he was one of our best shooters (4-5). He's really been an asset lately when shooting those mid range jumpers, but he shouldn't have deferred so much last night. But couldn't get a rebound, not one in 23 minutes?

So our supposed 'edge' on big men was crapola. We might better have played Boban at center. At least he has good hands and a rebound or two might fall into them.

On the other hand, late in the 3rd I looked at the stats and couldn't believe my eyes. Dubs were shooting 66% (8-12) on 3s but wound up with "only" 48%. You can't win many games against shooting like that that gets the extra point. Percentage wise, the 3 pt. shot is a killer in winning games if you shoot over 35%. We had a respectable 43% but shot only 16 to their 25. Do the math.

And the Dubs picked our switching defense apart with crisp passes to wide open guys under the basket.

Finally their bench outscored out bench 44-26 and there you have the final clue to the loss.

UZER
04-08-2016, 12:02 PM
-So many first half shots were in-n-outs.

-You cannot have mental lapses against this team. Danny swiping at Bogut on a meaningless rebound allowed curry to run out just enough to get off a three. Then another by Klay, and it was six points just like that.

RandomGuy
04-08-2016, 02:15 PM

You cannot say cannot.

Not a question of blind faith, but the Spurs have shown that they can beat just about anybody, even on that team's best days. The question is, as always, can the spurs win 4 out of 7...

DenialTwist
04-08-2016, 02:21 PM
We didn't get anything from our centers (Tim and West) in this game. Tim's stat line was pathetic (3rb, 2TO, 4 on 2-6) and his defense wasn't there against the speedy DUBS front line either. If you notice his TOs they are usually when another player just slaps the ball out of his hands and then Tim looks like a very old man trying to find the ball on the floor. How many times lately have we seen that result in Tim falling down on the floor? It is very sad to see, but Father Time beats us all.

West passed up a lot of shots and he was one of our best shooters (4-5). He's really been an asset lately when shooting those mid range jumpers, but he shouldn't have deferred so much last night. But couldn't get a rebound, not one in 23 minutes?

So our supposed 'edge' on big men was crapola. We might better have played Boban at center. At least he has good hands and a rebound or two might fall into them.

On the other hand, late in the 3rd I looked at the stats and couldn't believe my eyes. Dubs were shooting 66% (8-12) on 3s but wound up with "only" 48%. You can't win many games against shooting like that that gets the extra point. Percentage wise, the 3 pt. shot is a killer in winning games if you shoot over 35%. We had a respectable 43% but shot only 16 to their 25. Do the math.

And the Dubs picked our switching defense apart with crisp passes to wide open guys under the basket.

Finally their bench outscored out bench 44-26 and there you have the final clue to the loss.

That was painful to watch. It happened a few times too.

polandprzem
04-08-2016, 02:22 PM
He should NEVER play against Curry, put him on Barbosa (not Livingston) & hope he can play him to a draw. Unfortunately, Porker is going to have to play major minutes & it's not like Pop is going to bench him anyways.:lol (Klay can't score on him for some odd reason:lol)

Seems pretty funny to talk about indyvidual matchups when there is a switching party all game long

wildbill2u
04-08-2016, 02:36 PM
That was painful to watch. It happened a few times too.

When you say a few times, I wasn't sure if you agreed with me that it is happening in a lot of games this year. I absolutely hate it when the GOAT gets knocked around by these younger guys just because he isn't as agile as he used to be.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Seems pretty funny to talk about indyvidual matchups when there is a switching party all game long

He was getting grilled on the INITIAL action, couldn't fight the screen nor stay in-front of Curry whatsoever.:wakeup

8FOR!3
04-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Danny Green looked like he was in playoff mode early, started jacking up shots whenever he had a little space. When he's that aggressive that's usually a good sign bc I think passiveness causes him to miss a lot of shots

polandprzem
04-08-2016, 03:24 PM
He was getting grilled on the INITIAL action, couldn't fight the screen nor stay in-front of Curry whatsoever.:wakeup

Yea but saying put him vs barbossa and not vs Livingston is also not adequate cause in the playoffs they gonna switch the matchup to screw Mills.

But I think it's a good thing Pop did what he did. Anyway I got to rewatch the previous game and how Mills was doing.

All in all what we can take away from this game is that we need more ofense and without Boris we are screwed. West can't switch as good and in nowhere near the playmaker Boris is who also can drive, back down etc. Boris is the key guy in this matchup and it was known from the beginning of the season.

Timmey was off. Not only he is not a good player to play vs Warrios but he is off. he was not playing good vs Jazz and now he looked like he was on fumes. he can be really effective IMO when Bogut is there. But he must be a satan on the boards.

Kyle got more playing time after 1st GS matchup. Pop noticed that he is a must in a smal ball lineup. The guy can pass and the guy can shoot and the guy i long and can rebound. Simmons lost that battle just because of that 1st GS game.

Also I thought we had them in the 1st but then LMA got that shitty injury. Leo was not having many plays set for him and tbh Idk if refs gonna be reffing like that in the playoffs. So many contact and Worriers got away with everything

peacemaker885
04-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Victory on Sunday will be so very sweet. That's my takeaway.

tholdren
04-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Danny Green looked like he was in playoff mode early, started jacking up shots whenever he had a little space. When he's that aggressive that's usually a good sign bc I think passiveness causes him to miss a lot of shots
Danny green blew his defensive assignment many times last night

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Danny green blew his defensive assignment many times last night

That does tend to happen to him in the playoff when he's guarding someone off the ball which is why he should just be guarding Curry on the ball.

tholdren
04-08-2016, 03:49 PM
That does tend to happen to him in the playoff when he's guarding someone off the ball which is why he should just be guarding Curry on the ball.

Doesn't matter getting back doored and causing spurs to help opens up a 3.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Doesn't matter getting back doored and causing spurs to help opens up a 3.

Bogut/Ezeli ain't hitting 3s, whoever is guarding them should camp in the paint if Curry is playing off the ball & not running PnRs. If they are playing the "Death" lineup then concede the layup & pound them inside w/ Diaw so it will be a wash.

polandprzem
04-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Imo other then D and inside presets the Spurs, no matter the lineup, needs to win rebounding and TO battle.
That's why in a small lineup Boris and Kyle is important.

TD 21
04-08-2016, 04:55 PM

When they re-signed, I suspected the plan was to play out their contracts, barring a significant injury or (further) precipitous decline. The former, you never know. The latter, I was confident they could hold off. Ginobili, despite his performance waning as the season has wore on, mostly has, but I think he'll follow Duncan's lead on this.

It pains me to say it, but more and more, it's looking like this is the end, unless Duncan's knee injury isn't just wear and tear and he thinks he'll be able to somewhat bounce back next season. If not, I can't see him putting in all the work he has to throughout the year just to go through a full season of this. Not only that, but he's probably too prideful to do so.

The biggest takeaway, is that it appears the Spurs don't believe they can beat the Warriors in a series and the Warriors don't believe the Spurs can beat them in a series and when those two things are the case nothing else really matters.

UZER
04-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Diaw was the key against the Heat. He may very well be against the Warriors. That simple.

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 05:00 PM
When they re-signed, I suspected the plan was to play out their contracts, barring a significant injury or (further) precipitous decline. The former, you never know. The latter, I was confident they could hold off. Ginobili, despite his performance waning as the season has wore on, mostly has, but I think he'll follow Duncan's lead on this.

It pains me to say it, but more and more, it's looking like this is the end, unless Duncan's knee injury isn't just wear and tear and he thinks he'll be able to somewhat bounce back next season. If not, I can't see him putting in all the work he has to throughout the year just to go through a full season of this. Not only that, but he's probably too prideful to do so.

The biggest takeaway, is that it appears the Spurs don't believe they can beat the Warriors in a series and the Warriors don't believe the Spurs can beat them in a series and when those two things are the case nothing else really matters.

What makes you think the Spurs don't think they can beat the Warriors in a series??

TD 21
04-08-2016, 05:10 PM
What makes you think the Spurs don't think they can beat the Warriors in a series??

I can sense it.

Even the Thunder, I think they thought going into both series, that between the home court and the fact that they had a significantly higher IQ, they could beat them, even if they've lacked confidence against them from the '12 series on.

They don't have those things going for them in this match-up (probably a slightly higher IQ, but many of the ones who do, are so diminished physically, that it doesn't matter) and on top of that, the big three have fallen off a cliff in the second half of the season.

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 05:16 PM
I can sense it.

Even the Thunder, I think they thought going into both series, that between the home court and the fact that they had a significantly higher IQ, they could beat them, even if they've lacked confidence against them from the '12 series on.

They don't have those things going for them in this match-up (probably a slightly higher IQ, but many of the ones who do, are so diminished physically, that it doesn't matter) and on top of that, the big three have fallen off a cliff in the second half of the season.

I think it's a stretch to assume they don't think they have a chance. Is there some doubt?? For sure. But there should be..just like there's been doubt against the Heat and Thunder going into a series. But you won't know until you're in the actual fight (playoffs).

If we win on Sunday I think that helps our confidence..if I'm Kerr tho I'd strongly consider resting players. But if we end up losing again on Sunday..I think you'll be right.

spursistan
04-08-2016, 05:16 PM
I can sense it.

We'll see.. Sunday game will tell us more about these subtle dynamics..it is basically the biggest regular season in NB history..41-0 or 73-9 in play.. both will be going hard after it and, in the case of the spurs, a reaction is needed after another desultory perfromance in Oracle ( ithis like the third game there that you knew it was over by second quarter) ..

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 05:21 PM
I mean did most of y'all really expect the Spurs to win last night?? It would've been great to give the Warriors their 3rd loss at home and really make a statement and possibly win the season series 3-1..but that's a lot to ask for. This game meant more to the Warriors then it does to the Spurs..

Sunday game should tell us more IMO. Both records on the line etc. hopefully all rosters will be healthy and playing..

TD 21
04-08-2016, 05:21 PM
I think it's a stretch to assume they don't think they have a chance. Is there some doubt?? For sure. But there should be..just like there's been doubt against the Heat and Thunder going into a series. But you won't know until you're in the actual fight (playoffs).

If we win on Sunday I think that helps our confidence..if I'm Kerr tho I'd strongly consider resting players. But if we end up losing again on Sunday..I think you'll be right.

Doubt is different and it was natural going into those series (minus the '14 Finals, which they clearly felt confident they'd win, though obviously not in that fashion), considering those teams edge in star power and athleticism.

We'll see.. Sunday game will tell us more about these subtle dynamics..it is basically the biggest regular season in NB history..41-0 or 73-9 in play.. both will be going hard after it and, in the case of the spurs, a reaction is needed after another desultory perfromance in Oracle ( ithis like the third game there that you knew it was over by second quarter) ..

Even if they win on Sunday, I don't think it'll do much for their confidence. Maybe if they blow them out (I'd be more surprised by this than I would the Warriors blowing them out again), but even then, this is a completely different team on the road.

tholdren
04-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Bogut/Ezeli ain't hitting 3s, whoever is guarding them should camp in the paint if Curry is playing off the ball & not running PnRs. If they are playing the "Death" lineup then concede the layup & pound them inside w/ Diaw so it will be a wash.

You're assuming that help results one pass and a shot - not the case

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Doubt is different and it was natural going into those series (minus the '14 Finals, which they clearly felt confident they'd win, though obviously not in that fashion), considering those teams edge in star power and athleticism.

Even if they win on Sunday, I don't think it'll do much for their confidence. Maybe if they blow them out, but even then, this is a completely different team on the road.

I was referring to 13' series against Miami..who had home court and Spurs were not favored. But guess what happened? We stole Game 1 and home court.

We still ended up losing the series but there were times were you thought one team was favored to win the series but then unexpected things happen..it's the playoffs. Every game is different and their own.

spursistan
04-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Even if they win on Sunday, I don't think it'll do much for their confidence. Maybe if they blow them out (I'd be more surprised by this than I would the Warriors blowing them out again), but even then, this is a completely different team on the road.
I'm frankly still not sure about the true mental pedigree of the Warriors despite ringing last season..they have a false cockiness/confidence about them that i feel a hardened/veteran team can still get to expose..The problem the Spurs are getting blown the fuck out by mid third quarters more often than not against them :lol..i still want to see their level of execution against us in games that comes down to the wire..

TD 21
04-08-2016, 05:42 PM
I was referring to 13' series against Miami..who had home court and Spurs were not favored. But guess what happened? We stole Game 1 and home court.

We still ended up losing the series but there were times were you thought one team was favored to win the series but then unexpected things happen..it's the playoffs. Every game is different and their own.

Things were different then. Duncan and Parker were still on the short list of best players in the league, we knew Duncan and Diaw (though he didn't end up playing much) could post them for profit, we knew Leonard was about as good a James defender as one could possibly have an we knew the Spurs were the one team that could take advantage of the Heat's trapping defense.

Not really. Since the Mavs winning the championship in '11, no marquee match-up in the playoffs has really surprised me. Sure, like anyone, I got some wrong, but nothing shocked me.

I'm frankly still not sure about the true mental pedigree of the Warriors despite ringing last season..they have a false cockiness/confidence about them that i feel a hardened/veteran team can still get to expose..The problem the Spurs are getting blown the fuck out by mid third quarters more often than not against them :lol..i still want to see their level of execution against us in games that comes down to the wire..

Same, but like you said, the Spurs actually have to get in that position, particularly on the road.

The way I see it, if/when it comes to fruition, game 1 will decide the series. Since the series has yet to settle in, it's almost always the best opportunity to steal home court and the Spurs will have two things going for them in it. 1) The "not again" factor, after being blown out three of the last four visits, 2) The Warriors' arrogance and overconfidence against them. Blow that and even if they steal game 2, they'd have to win 3 straight to maintain home court or otherwise face the prospect of a game 7 on the road.

UZER
04-08-2016, 05:43 PM

I completely agree. The Warriors play extra cautious against SA until someone starts going off, then they get rolling. That's why Kerr loses his shit when they play us. I still think they will mentally crack if the series is 2-2 with game 5 in their place.

They Spurs have the ability to grind every play of every qtr of every game. I want to see the Warriors when facing that against SA in the playoffs. These regular season games are just feelers.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 05:47 PM
You're assuming that help results one pass and a shot - not the case

Backdoor is exactly one pass & a layup aka a "quick hitter". If you are talking about other sets then that's a different story.

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Game 1 or Game 5 easiest games to still on the road..

tholdren
04-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Backdoor is exactly one pass & a layup aka a "quick hitter". If you are talking about other sets then that's a different story.
nope - just because you hit an open man on a backdoor cut, doesn't mean the ball stops or is shot. For goodness sakes, you're a spurs fan - SA players beat their man all the time and the ball keeps moving to get the best shot on help....

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Game 1 or Game 5 easiest games to still on the road..

Worriers were very vulnerable in Gm 1-2 last postseason.

Lost Gm 2 to the Grizz/Cavs & had a close call against the Pels/Rockets especially Gm 2.

Kikoluna
04-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Anderson shouldn't play a minute. Tony cannot guard curry a second. Tony cannot dribble dribble dribble. Somebody covers barnes. Play boban.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 06:05 PM
nope - just because you hit an open man on a backdoor cut, doesn't mean the ball stops or is shot. For goodness sakes, you're a spurs fan - SA players beat their man all the time and the ball keeps moving to get the best shot on help....

The Worriers go straight to the rim to FINISH, that's when Klay blew a layup then shot a 3 & Iggy got blocked by Danny after leaving Klay open. Livingston (has been backdooring the Spurs to death when West is playing center) usually finishes or get fouled.

tholdren
04-08-2016, 06:15 PM
The Worriers go straight to the rim to FINISH, that's when Klay blew a layup then shot a 3 & Iggy got blocked by Danny after leaving Klay open. Livingston (has been backdooring the Spurs to death when West is playing center) usually finishes or get fouled.
Either way, poor defense

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Either way, poor defense

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/495310026-david-west-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-fails-to-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXuigGkZK4lOKO80naycmO2Tg6G2z SDb%2FTW%2Bxa98ihobWzUxnISERC6idr8Xwbyq3nA%3D%3D