PDA

View Full Version : Rebounding and Free Throws

ElNono
04-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Rebounding really killed us this game... 43 vs 32...

Which is surprising since we supposedly have the bigger frontcourt (although it should be said that because they attempt to many 3s, a lot of them are long, so the perimeter guys have to be more aware).

Free throws too: we went 16-23, and we really did get to the line this game (23 vs 11)

The rest of the numbers look competitive:
- Both teams had 2 blocked shots
- Spurs had 3 less turnovers (12 vs 15)
- Dubs had 5 more assists (33 vs 28)
- They shot a little better, 54% vs 48%

This is stuff the Spurs will have to work on harder in a potential series against them.

Mugen
04-08-2016, 12:18 AM
I'd feel better if Terry Stotts was coaching this team tbh :lol

100%duncan
04-08-2016, 12:19 AM
That 3rd quarter defense IMHO.

DMC
04-08-2016, 12:21 AM
Tim Duncan isn't Tim Duncan any more. That's the elephant in the room. No way this team wins a ring with Tim watching from the floor on his back.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:07 AM
Tim Duncan isn't Tim Duncan any more. That's the elephant in the room. No way this team wins a ring with Tim watching from the floor on his back.

David West says hello, at least Tim can rebound & protect the rim ala Bogut.:wakeup

r0drig0lac
04-08-2016, 06:29 AM
54% x 48% is a significant difference

GSH
04-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Especially when they shoot more than half-again as many 3-pointers. You really need their 3P% to be in the 30's to have a good shot at beating them. Last night they shot 48% from the arc. When a team shoots the same percentage on 3-pointers that you shoot overall, the weight of those extra points is just tough to overcome.

When you have guys cheating in to help cover the middle, they eat you alive from the outside. The interior D has to be able to hold its own, and the perimeter guys have to have the discipline to stay home.

I said it the day before the game, and I stand with it. Pop should have told his players that, win or lose, make it hurt. The Spurs should have been the more physical team last night, by a big margin - fouls be damned. They got Draymond off his game early, and if they had kept it up they might have had something going. Like Charles Barkley has said many times, "See if he can drag his ass up off the floor and make the next shot."

SPURt
04-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Boban Boban Boban

Keepin' it real
04-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Sad but true.

NameLess Scrub
04-08-2016, 08:58 AM

He seems to be stripped too much, and that can hardly score in the post, even with a mismatch.

I hate it and wonder if his legs are in that bad of a shape, or he's saving the effort for the playoffs.

NameLess Scrub
04-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Especially when they shoot more than half-again as many 3-pointers. You really need their 3P% to be in the 30's to have a good shot at beating them. Last night they shot 48% from the arc. When a team shoots the same percentage on 3-pointers that you shoot overall, the weight of those extra points is just tough to overcome.

When you have guys cheating in to help cover the middle, they eat you alive from the outside. The interior D has to be able to hold its own, and the perimeter guys have to have the discipline to stay home.

I said it the day before the game, and I stand with it. Pop should have told his players that, win or lose, make it hurt. The Spurs should have been the more physical team last night, by a big margin - fouls be damned. They got Draymond off his game early, and if they had kept it up they might have had something going. Like Charles Barkley has said many times, "See if he can drag his ass up off the floor and make the next shot."

At the end of the day, Warriors won't be afraid to slap, push, or illegally screen the heck out of the Spurs in a series.

kaji157
04-08-2016, 09:08 AM
David West says hello, at least Tim can rebound & protect the rim ala Bogut.:wakeup

Can he? It sure didnt look like it yesterday.

If you ask me he looked really banged up and as fragile as i ever seen him, Tim usually ups his game a lot in the playoffs, and i think this could be done once again, but i were pop i would rest him untill the playoffs start to nurse those knees.

Rebounding is a matter of concern, not only because we lost the stat, but because it should be category we should always dominate, itīs the only place on the floor where a clear advantage is on our side, we should otrebound them every game if we are to win.

Free throws are also important because when you star player looks scared and starts missing free throws that is a mental blow to the team. I donīt think they meant a real difference on the score the way the games are being called.

TDomination
04-08-2016, 09:11 AM
He seem to be stripped too much, and that can hardly score in the post, even with a mismatch.

I hate it and wonder if his legs are in that bad of a shape, or he's saving the effort for the playoffs.

Its crazy to think that only a year ago in the first round he avgd 17.8ppg, 11.1 rpg, including a 27pt game in game 7 against the Clippers last year.

I'm hoping he's just saving it. I mean seriously how many times have we thought this guy was done only to up his game in the playoffs. So because of that, i believe he will be fine in the playoffs. We need not worry about him.

But with that said, I'm surprised Tim hasn't tried his up and under move more. Thats where i feel he is more effective now. He can't just go straight up like before, he seems to get blocked every time. But if makes his move as if he is about to shoot, but then pump fakes and goes under, he seems to be more effective. He's obviously not gonna be faster than his opponent but its about trying to be smarter.

kaji157
04-08-2016, 09:14 AM
At the end of the day, Warriors won't be afraid to slap, push, or illegally screen the heck out of the Spurs in a series.

I wont to think that in a series the officiating would be fair on both ends or at least consistent, so both team would know what they can do and what they cant.

Anyway, this changes nothing, the Spurs didnīt need to win this game to make an statement, or those before this one, nor the next, the game that could put fear in their bodies is the first game of the series between us, win that one and everything changes.

I donīt think Pop has shown any cards, and the first quarter yesterday was a sneak peak of a way of turning the game in our way.

Tim would be more rested, so would Manu, and Kawhi wont have to cover for Barnes, because Diaw will be in him.

NameLess Scrub
04-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Its crazy to think that only a year ago in the first round he avgd 17.8ppg, 11.1 rpg, including a 27pt game in game 7 against the Clippers last year.

I'm hoping he's just saving it. I mean seriously how many times have we thought this guy was done only to up his game in the playoffs. So because of that, i believe he will be fine in the playoffs. We need not worry about him.

But with that said, I'm surprised Tim hasn't tried his up and under move more. Thats where i feel he is more effective now. He can't just go straight up like before, he seems to get blocked every time. But if makes his move as if he is about to shoot, but then pump fakes and goes under, he seems to be more effective. He's obviously not gonna be faster than his opponent but its about trying to be smarter.

I hope so too. I still think they need Timmy to turn back the clock from time to time so the defense can't count him out.

Anyway, this changes nothing, the Spurs didnīt need to win this game to make an statement, or those before this one, nor the next, the game that could put fear in their bodies is the first game of the series between us, win that one and everything changes.

Agree with this.

GSH
04-08-2016, 09:53 AM

Which is surprising since we supposedly have the bigger frontcourt (although it should be said that because they attempt to many 3s, a lot of them are long, so the perimeter guys have to be more aware).

Free throws too: we went 16-23, and we really did get to the line this game (23 vs 11)

BTW - I don't disagree. The Dubs killed the Spurs on the boards. The rebounding margin was worse (percentage-wise) earlier in the game, when the Warriors were building their lead. It played a big part.

The Warriors also outscored the Spurs in the paint. Multiple reasons for that, but against a team that is shooting a lot more 3's, it's really important to win the game in the paint. The Spurs didn't.

One problem, as others observed, is that Tim can't finish strong at/near the rim anymore. Situations that used to get and-1 opportunities are just missed chip shots or turnovers now. If he had been the same Duncan that we saw in the playoffs last year, it would have been a different game. We can still hope that he will be able to dig deep and get there in the playoffs, but it's getting harder to be optimistic.

Proxy
04-08-2016, 10:01 AM
overreacting to Tim having a bad game. He's been solid all year, in his limited role. Playing Boris' minutes. How many times do we have to see one of the big 3 play like dogshit, claim he's "done".

NameLess Scrub
04-08-2016, 10:53 AM
overreacting to Tim having a bad game. He's been solid all year, in his limited role. Playing Boris' minutes. How many times do we have to see one of the big 3 play like dogshit, claim he's "done".

At some point it'll become true. Dude is full of gray hair, walks/runs funny, and is 40.

My hope is that he has at least one last vintage Timmy in store and can retire with 6.

skulls138
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM
overreacting to Tim having a bad game. He's been solid all year, in his limited role. Playing Boris' minutes. How many times do we have to see one of the big 3 play like dogshit, claim he's "done".This. It was his first taste of GS and Bogut surprised. I have to believe TD will have something for them next time. I have to look at LMA for not getting enough rebounds. Hes a big man and therefore is responsible for big man duties, not just scoring.

Darius McCrary
04-08-2016, 11:04 AM

:tu :tu

Never doubt Tim Theodore Duncan. Never.

Kikoluna
04-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Saying Tim is affecting us by watching from the floor is blasphemy. ..even if it's true. Respect the greatest ever. Common man

SAGirl
04-08-2016, 11:25 AM
BTW - I don't disagree. The Dubs killed the Spurs on the boards. The rebounding margin was worse (percentage-wise) earlier in the game, when the Warriors were building their lead. It played a big part.

The Warriors also outscored the Spurs in the paint. Multiple reasons for that, but against a team that is shooting a lot more 3's, it's really important to win the game in the paint. The Spurs didn't.

One problem, as others observed, is that Tim can't finish strong at/near the rim anymore. Situations that used to get and-1 opportunities are just missed chip shots or turnovers now. If he had been the same Duncan that we saw in the playoffs last year, it would have been a different game. We can still hope that he will be able to dig deep and get there in the playoffs, but it's getting harder to be optimistic.
One of the reasons I think he's retiring. For a player of his caliber it hurts to see and it must really be difficult for him to not have another gear. Him was the guy I thought needed this game the most bc he hadn't battled them all season (last game was entirely small ball and he barely played), and its a measuring stick for him go see where he's at and make adjustments. The other guy I though needed this experience is Anderson bc of his youth.

I have seen Timmy look like that against other teams too.... I just don't go around creating is Tim done threads. He's going to be 40. Even if it was difficult to watch, it's the last season for him. I believe he will leave it all out there, and make adjustments. But we also have to be ready to see more Diaw and Anderson in this series with TD and LMA splitting time. We won't be able to stay big against them. You need dominant bigs for that and TD is not dominant anymore. Hopefully I am wrong. Tbh I don't care to be right on this one. We still need him to ring and I want him to have a good playoff in general regardless of the outcome.

Trainwreck2100
04-08-2016, 11:27 AM
missed layups

spursistan
04-08-2016, 11:31 AM
West killed us last night on the boards..near 25 minutes and zero rebounds grabbed, not to mention opening a layup drill under our basket...meanwhile Kyle had 11 in just 20 minutes..i would rather go with him..

SpursforSix
04-08-2016, 11:34 AM

no it didn't. it's only one play but the tip in from Bogut when Tim looked like he was in a good position to block out and grab the board...was pretty disappointing. then later the Bogut block.
But just hoping that Tim can get it going for one more playoff run.

GSH
04-08-2016, 12:10 PM
But just hoping that Tim can get it going for one more playoff run.

Ultimately, that's what everyone is saying. Some don't think he has enough left in the tank - some say that they are absolutely certain that he does. But every one of us is hoping. Kind of amazing that after all these years, and all the miles, everyone recognizes at some level that the key to hoisting an LOB is Tim Duncan.

Nobody here is discounting how much he's given already.

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 12:36 PM

If you ask me he looked really banged up and as fragile as i ever seen him, Tim usually ups his game a lot in the playoffs, and i think this could be done once again, but i were pop i would rest him untill the playoffs start to nurse those knees.

Tim was doing fine defensively in the 1st quarter until LMA went out & the Worriers IMMEDIATELY upped the pace leading to a 14-0 run thanks to Patty/Manu jacking up shot. As long as the pace is slow & the Worriers aren't running PnRs w/ Bogut instead of Draymond he should be fine sagging off Bogut. Otherwise, just play him against Ezeli when Livingston is running the point.

Rebounding is a matter of concern, not only because we lost the stat, but because it should be category we should always dominate, itīs the only place on the floor where a clear advantage is on our side, we should otrebound them every game if we are to win.

The rebounding disparity had MAINLY to do w/ the Spurs missing a bunch of shot thus the Worrriers had a lot of DEFENSIVE rebounds.

hater
04-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Bogut looking like a prime Ben Wallace tbh

Blake
04-08-2016, 12:45 PM
12-25 from 3 is no good. The Spurs have got to do better at chasing them off that 3 point line. How many times did draymond shoot a 3 right in front of Kawhi

Also, 26 points off the Spurs 13 turnovers. Lol that means they got a bucket off every one.

Really just a night of bad perimeter defense, imo.

TheDoctor
04-08-2016, 12:52 PM

Yup. To be fair, just as the final score, that shooting % was deceiving. Basically we stat padded the shooting % in scrubby time. We shot 41% at the half.

Beaverfuzz
04-08-2016, 12:57 PM
OP described it perfectly...perimeter players need to be aware that long caroms may be coming their way. This isn't rocket science.

mclinejr
04-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Spurstalk on suicide watch. TBH.

DMC
04-08-2016, 03:35 PM
He seems to be stripped too much, and that can hardly score in the post, even with a mismatch.

I don't get the notion of "saving effort" as if he goes out there, ever, and just fucks around and mails it in. He's always giving his best effort, it's just not enough these days.

TD 21
04-08-2016, 05:57 PM

The rest of the numbers look competitive:
- Both teams had 2 blocked shots
- Spurs had 3 less turnovers (12 vs 15)
- Dubs had 5 more assists (33 vs 28)
- They shot a little better, 54% vs 48%

This is stuff the Spurs will have to work on harder in a potential series against them.

Size doesn't automatically equate to good rebounding. Rebound percentage is the best indicator of rebounding prowess, both team and individual. Only counting rotation players, the Warriors have two of the top three between the teams and three of the top five.

Also, consider how limited a role Duncan plays in this match-up. Once that's factored in, the size advantage mostly vanishes and so does the rebounding one.

ElNono
04-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Size doesn't automatically equate to good rebounding. Rebound percentage is the best indicator of rebounding prowess, both team and individual. Only counting rotation players, the Warriors have two of the top three between the teams and three of the top five.

Also, consider how limited a role Duncan plays in this match-up. Once that's factored in, the size advantage mostly vanishes and so does the rebounding one.

Yup. But also some of their guards caught a lot of rebounds too. (IIRC, Curry had 5). The 2nd unit for the Spurs especially has done a fairly poor job of boxing out.

NameLess Scrub
04-08-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't get the notion of "saving effort" as if he goes out there, ever, and just fucks around and mails it in. He's always giving his best effort, it's just not enough these days.

I see it from my perspective. I have bad knees too and I just pick the spots when I'm gonna push my body more or less depending on the day.

I can see why he would pick his spots, or in this case why he would save pushing his body harder for more important moments in the playoffs. It's not exactly playing with no effort but choosing when to really push it. Of course I just wonder and it might be how you say.

I'm glad he's looking good tonight.