PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 11:22 AM
•14-0 run once LA dislocated his pinky is obviously when the game changed. Everybody held their breath for a second there and I wonder if they put us in a mental funk for a second. I was scared and even a person I was watching the game with was like pull the plug once he saw LA get hurt.

•Harrison Barnes showed up and hit HUGE shots. Spurs almost recovered from the 14-0 and got back within 6 and then Barnes hits back 2 back 3's to take it up to 12. At the end of the day you gotta live with those shots tho. Barnes is a "good" player who can get hot from time to time but you take your chances.

•Warriors figured Spurs out on offensive end. Spurs were running them off the 3 point line and making them drive and make the extra pass. Well Warriors did just that and seemed to make the RIGHT play every time down the court. Pop however decided not to counter tho. Spurs have made it known that they will not allow Curry to beat them from 3. They are going to make him drive and make plays. He's good enough to handle it. Spurs will mix things up next game or come post season

• Duncan looks unplayable against this team. Only when Bogut it Ezeli is on the court but what's unfortunate is it seems right now Bogut > Duncan and it isn't close. Duncan offensive game is just gone. He has zero confidence on elbow jumper and his only real value is rebounding and rim protection but he really struggled this game. Don't see him being a factor going forward.

•Spurs need Parker to have a big series for us to have a chance. Spurs can't get too predictable by constantly relying on post ups with LA or Kawhi. Tony needs to force GSW to defend his penetration in the paint and he needs to be aggressive at all times on the court. Just like Barnes won them a game Tony needs to single handily win them a game.

I really do think Spurs will be ok. Every game has had different identity which IMO could be a good thing. I'd become worried if Spurs lose like last night on Sunday. But I honestly think Spurs should win. Diaw being out hurt us and hopefully he will be ok going forward. Spurs couldn't buy a bucket and still at times were in striking distance. I didn't expect Warriors to drop 3 straight at home and give them credit for showing up. See them on Sunday

look_at_g_shred
04-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Good observations man! Appreciate it. Yea LMA hurting his finger is what changed the game. I too, think we'll be ok if we meet in the WCF. Just need to steal 1 of the first two over there.

TDomination
04-08-2016, 11:45 AM
•14-0 run once LA dislocated his pinky is obviously when the game changed. Everybody held their breath for a second there and I wonder if they put us in a mental funk for a second. I was scared and even a person I was watching the game with was like pull the plug once he saw LA get hurt.

Good Write up!

This was the game changer and i think it was pretty obvious. The body language seemed to change after that whether it was conscious or not.

Playing from behind the entire game is exactly what they didn't need, and then bam LA gets hurt and now were down 14. And at that point Barnes kept us at bay.

spurs10
04-08-2016, 11:51 AM
I'm still concerned about LMA. Hope he's alright. That definitely was when things went south.

urunobili
04-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Solid thoughts. I saw the game the same way :tu

hater
04-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Ummm they completely obliterated us in the 3rd quarter.

DarrinS
04-08-2016, 12:00 PM

They outscored us by 6 in the 3rd. Yes, obliterated.

apalisoc_9
04-08-2016, 12:02 PM

They actually did. I know the boxscore only says by 6. But tthey lose the game in the third.

boutons_deux
04-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Barnes' 2 3Gs were bad, but Spurs should have been tougher, suck it up, keep the intensity and fight, just like the didn't do after 0.4 secs.

DarrinS
04-08-2016, 12:05 PM
They actually did. I know the boxscore only says by 6. But tthey lose the game in the third.

They lost the game when LMA smashed his pinky

hater
04-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Yup

hater
04-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Only pussies use the injury card. Plus it wasn't even an injury :lol

Dex
04-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Dex's Game Thoughts:

That fucking sucked.

apalisoc_9
04-08-2016, 12:08 PM

They were already down and the warriors were in control.

The spurs actually got their mojo back in the first few minutes jin the third even with his injury. They got smashed in the latter half of the third and basically lost the game

deibero
04-08-2016, 12:14 PM
there were a few positives that we can take from the game:

1. kmart needs some minutes, we need his scoring punch (to play the belinelli role) off the bench in this matchup

2. kyle has a place in the second unit, specially at the 3 or 4 against the dubs small lineup. he rebounds well enough and could guard iggy or barnes decently

3. need to find some minutes for dwest, he gives toughness inside and can help punish the dubs when they go small

hater
04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
I'd try Miller tbh.

Mills is absolutely pathetic vs worriers

DarrinS
04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
They were already down and the warriors were in control.

The spurs actually got their mojo back in the first few minutes jin the third even with his injury. They got smashed in the latter half of the third and basically lost the game

LMA got hurt late in the first quarter.

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20160407&game=SASGSW

apalisoc_9
04-08-2016, 12:29 PM
LMA got hurt late in the first quarter.

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20160407&game=SASGSW

They were down already at that point and tried to make a comeback twice when he was unjured

DarrinS
04-08-2016, 12:30 PM
They were down already at that point

By 2

apalisoc_9
04-08-2016, 12:31 PM
By 2

They lost the control of the game already. Injury had nothing to do with them losing. They were just terrible in defense and shitty on offense.

Horse
04-08-2016, 12:38 PM

•Harrison Barnes showed up and hit HUGE shots. Spurs almost recovered from the 14-0 and got back within 6 and then Barnes hits back 2 back 3's to take it up to 12. At the end of the day you gotta live with those shots tho. Barnes is a "good" player who can get hot from time to time but you take your chances.

•Warriors figured Spurs out on offensive end. Spurs were running them off the 3 point line and making them drive and make the extra pass. Well Warriors did just that and seemed to make the RIGHT play every time down the court. Pop however decided not to counter tho. Spurs have made it known that they will not allow Curry to beat them from 3. They are going to make him drive and make plays. He's good enough to handle it. Spurs will mix things up next game or come post season

• Duncan looks unplayable against this team. Only when Bogut it Ezeli is on the court but what's unfortunate is it seems right now Bogut > Duncan and it isn't close. Duncan offensive game is just gone. He has zero confidence on elbow jumper and his only real value is rebounding and rim protection but he really struggled this game. Don't see him being a factor going forward.

•Spurs need Parker to have a big series for us to have a chance. Spurs can't get too predictable by constantly relying on post ups with LA or Kawhi. Tony needs to force GSW to defend his penetration in the paint and he needs to be aggressive at all times on the court. Just like Barnes won them a game Tony needs to single handily win them a game.

I really do think Spurs will be ok. Every game has had different identity which IMO could be a good thing. I'd become worried if Spurs lose like last night on Sunday. But I honestly think Spurs should win. Diaw being out hurt us and hopefully he will be ok going forward. Spurs couldn't buy a bucket and still at times were in striking distance. I didn't expect Warriors to drop 3 straight at home and give them credit for showing up. See them on Sunday

I've been hearing all this BS about the Spurs being run out of the building but it was nothing like the first game. Pussy ass kerr had to bring the starters back in. I think fearless players like martin can be helpful to get the rest of the team to stop being scared bitches.

TheDoctor
04-08-2016, 12:42 PM
They were down already at that point and tried to make a comeback twice when he was unjured

They weren't. IIRC after the Worriers went on that 14-0 run, the score was 29-15. Which means the game was tied.

spurs10
04-08-2016, 12:44 PM
We missed a lot of easy shots early. Should have had a good lead when LMA was injured. This beating will be good motivation for Sunday.

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Spurs just couldn't recover from the 14-0 run. Barnes hit timely shots..even in the 4th I think we'd get within 9 or so and they'd hit a 3 to break our backs.

Splits
04-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Disagree on Duncan not being a factor in the playoffs, he will step up as he always does. He'll play less against the Dubs, but it was obvious with him playing the entire 1st quarter that Pop's gameplan was "go feel yourself out, Tim" since he'd only played against them like 9 minutes this season.

I know that's a minority opinion, but he's not done. Doubt Duncan at your own peril.

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Disagree on Duncan not being a factor in the playoffs, he will step up as he always does. He'll play less against the Dubs, but it was obvious with him playing the entire 1st quarter that Pop's gameplan was "go feel yourself out, Tim" since he'd only played against them like 9 minutes this season.

I know that's a minority opinion, but he's not done. Doubt Duncan at your own peril.

He's not done. Just the match up with GSW doesn't look like a fit for him. Bogut seems to be a touch match up for him as well

Splits
04-08-2016, 01:28 PM
He's not done. Just the match up with GSW doesn't look like a fit for him. Bogut seems to be a touch match up for him as well

Disagree. Bogut only plays 20 min a game. I think he'll play him even or slightly outplay him. TD just savin' up the juice. Wheels are still on.

Now let me bookmark this post so I can bump it.

coachmac87
04-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Disagree. Bogut only plays 20 min a game. I think he'll play him even or slightly outplay him. TD just savin' up the juice. Wheels are still on.

Now let me bookmark this post so I can bump it.

Fair enough. But Bogut grabbed 11 boards. Tim got out rebounded by Curry...that can't happen

Kawhitstorm
04-08-2016, 01:42 PM

It was Patty/Manu that checked in after the injury timeout & started "hero-ballin'" (while TOTALLY ignoring Kawhi) culminated by the Patty AIR-BALL to end the 1st quarter.:rolleyes

Duncan looks unplayable against this team. Only when Bogut it Ezeli is on the court but what's unfortunate is it seems right now Bogut > Duncan and it isn't close. Duncan offensive game is just gone. He has zero confidence on elbow jumper and his only real value is rebounding and rim protection but he really struggled this game. Don't see him being a factor going forward.

Tim was fine in the 1st quarter when the pace was SLOW & the Worriers were forced to play in the half-court set. Again, it was Patty/Manu that screwed up the pace & eventually led to a bunch of transition baskets in the 2nd quarter.

Spurs need Parker to have a big series for us to have a chance. Spurs can't get too predictable by constantly relying on post ups with LA or Kawhi. Tony needs to force GSW to defend his penetration in the paint and he needs to be aggressive at all times on the court. Just like Barnes won them a game Tony needs to single handily win them a game.

Tony/Barnes are the 3rd scorers on their respective squad thus Tony has to AT LEAST play him even for the Spurs to have a chance.

Budkin
04-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Great writeup. The worst part was seeing Timmy look 40 years old.

Splits
04-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Fair enough. But Bogut grabbed 11 boards. Tim got out rebounded by Curry...that can't happen

First real outing against the Dubs this year. He was just feeling it out. It ended poorly, but he's Tim fucking Duncan, the 8th greatest player in the history of the world.

AFMadison
04-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Not to mention we missed key free throws when we were trying to get back in the game. I'm not worried, chess not checkers. We have two rounds to prepare. Plus I think the clippers will give GS some problems.... Hopefully

DenialTwist
04-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Not to mention we missed key free throws when we were trying to get back in the game. I'm not worried, chess not checkers. We have two rounds to prepare. Plus I think the clippers will give GS some problems.... Hopefully

Nah. Clippers are not a threat to the Warriors. For all the talk about CP3 being the point gawd, Reddick as the best 3 point shooter, and DeAndre as the best shot blocker they all looked pedestrian against the Warriors. Blake Griffin is soft too. Clippers also lost a game to the Dubs last year when they were up 21 points then they collapsed as usual. The only thing they have as an advantage against the Dubs is the fact that the Dubs don't like them, it will be real feisty, and I'm sure a lot of technicals will be given in that series. Remember when they used to fight with each other in the 2013-2014 season?

sammy
04-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Only pussies use the injury card. Plus it wasn't even an injury :lol

WTF! He dislocated his finger! He was playing well until that happened! Even taped up, it threw off his shot! The game changed when he got hurt! Stop being a hater!

sammy
04-08-2016, 02:19 PM
They lost the control of the game already. Injury had nothing to do with them losing. They were just terrible in defense and shitty on offense.

Warriors couldn't handle LMA! When he got hurt, they took advantage and no one else stepped up!

Hoops Czar
04-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Warriors couldn't handle LMA! When he got hurt, they took advantage and no one else stepped up!

There's a reason why a LMA led team could only make it past the first round of the playoffs one time. Not to mention, Portland had one of the best starting 5's in basketball. Somehow, I think the Warriors are content with LMA splashing 10-15 ft jumpers.

Solid D
04-08-2016, 03:02 PM
I think Pop was trying to see how well posting-up Aldridge, Duncan and Leonard was going to be defended. The Warriors showed their strategy, which had a close resemblance to some of the doubling and trapping tactics employed by the Spurs in games past. Even straight-up, Bogut and Draymond Green were unyielding. What the Spurs learned was Bogut continues to be a thorn in the side (spanning his entire career), and the constant digging-down by collapsing defenders on moves to the basket created TOs and empty trips.

Boris Diaw was missed. When Timmy and Aldridge weren't in there to defend the rim, the defensive lapses and help defense was porous.

Golden State shot really, really well...until the 4th quarter. Barnes excelled. Patty, not so much.

8FOR!3
04-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Tim is the least of my worries. I can't imagine him going all out the fourth to last game of the season