PDA

View Full Version : What Needs to Happen Won't Happen

DMC
04-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Curry frolicking down the lane without a care in the world, just laying it up over and over amongst the trees. He needs to be put on his ass a couple times, pretty hard. Maybe a flagrant needs to be given to keep him honest and instill some fear and risk vs reward feeling in him. Why not drive now? No one touches you in this league, no one in SA will do that except West.

We need just one Horry moment where someone hip checks Curry into the 2nd row and he's carried off the court. Don't kill him, just make his family start praying in the stands. It won't happen. League is too soft now. Little guys without a care in the world shooting freely, dancing on the court, driving into the paint untouched... it's not like it was.

Spurs9
04-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Exactly what I was saying in the thread last night. Surprised no one knocks him down to maybe even make him think to hesitate a bit. He just prances around like a kid playing against a bigger guy who doesn't want to hurt him. David West is the perfect guy to do this. It was infuriating how many layups the dubs got last night.

DMC
04-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Too many close relationships between coaches, players and front offices to do anything like that. Now it's like a scrimmage game, shirts vs skins, same team, every fucking game. There are few real rivalries and far in between.

tholdren
04-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Too many close relationships between coaches, players and front offices to do anything like that. Now it's like a scrimmage game, shirts vs skins, same team, every fucking game. There are few real rivalries and far in between.
welcome to the new nba... where wins don't mean as much as points, hugging and clubbing ensues between members of both teams after a playoff loss, if you make a top 10 highlight you get paid, and you spend the offseason trying to hook up with the best players on other teams.

almost unwatchable

DMC
04-08-2016, 07:26 PM
welcome to the new nba... where wins don't mean as much as points, hugging and clubbing ensues between members of both teams after a playoff loss, if you make a top 10 highlight you get paid, and you spend the offseason trying to hook up with the best players on other teams.

almost unwatchable

It's because they are financially able to retire before ever stepping foot on an NBA court, and the coaches are pretty much subservient to the talent. There are a few token counter-examples but only a few. Of course there were worse eras and the technical aspect of the game is far and away better than it's ever been, with even mid level guys being very talented technically. Hell guys in the 80's could barely dribble and run, and those who could were superstars.

Imagine every football player makes 20 million for a 4 year contract, at least. Now imagine the deals they have with one another to not kill each other on the field. It would be flag football. It's flag basketball.

SpursFan86
04-08-2016, 07:32 PM
It's because they are financially able to retire before ever stepping foot on an NBA court, and the coaches are pretty much subservient to the talent. There are a few token counter-examples but only a few. Of course there were worse eras and the technical aspect of the game is far and away better than it's ever been, with even mid level guys being very talented technically. Hell guys in the 80's could barely dribble and run, and those who could were superstars.

Imagine every football player makes 20 million for a 4 year contract, at least. Now imagine the deals they have with one another to not kill each other on the field. It would be flag football. It's flag basketball.

You say this like basketball is supposed to be a full contact sport :lol Getting physical is fine, but sounds like you want dirty/non-basketball plays.

tholdren
04-08-2016, 07:32 PM

That's a bit much. No one in the league now "has handles" who doesn't carry, and few are even able to play mediocre defense, making a correct basketball play is also slim to none....

It started with aau, has infiltrated college with the 1 and done, and when you see it in person is highly disappointing. Anyone who was decent could play in college, anyone decent in college could play pro. It's about reps.

midnightpulp
04-08-2016, 07:35 PM
I agree. This is where an antiquated player like Charles Oakley comes in handy.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-08-2016, 07:42 PM
They have to go thru the Clippers. Clips have some dirty-ish players who are willing to fuck someone up when shit hits the fan. Especially Blake.

tholdren
04-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I agree. This is where an antiquated player like Charles Oakley comes in handy.

Oakley is who I thought west would be. But he's not. Trade for Matt Barnes

Floyd Pacquiao
04-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Shaq used to do this to Tony back in the day.

Clipper Nation
04-08-2016, 08:10 PM
The Warriors are dirty. See: Drayflop Screen and Bogut. They're just allowed to play dirty because they're the NBA's biggest cash-cow since the Shaq/Horry Lakers. Other teams aren't.

Chinook
04-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Just hope Dallas gets the eight-seed.

Darius Bieber
04-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Need to bring back Horry, Bowen, and Captain Jack to do some damage.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-08-2016, 08:34 PM

Zaza would definitely go for curry's ankles

Sean Cagney
04-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Indeed.....

DMC
04-08-2016, 08:52 PM
You say this like basketball is supposed to be a full contact sport :lol Getting physical is fine, but sounds like you want dirty/non-basketball plays.

So letting Curry walk to the rim untouched through our bigs is your idea of basketball the right way? When Pop says "I want some nasty" do you think he means back in the dressing room or out on the court?

DeRozan m8
04-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Been saying this for a while, and do hope Pop is saying it for the playoffs....but the Spurs need to get physical and D West needs a Horry moment for sure...

As someone said, Gaymond and Bogut are dirty as fuck, Warriors deserve it.

01Snake
04-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Been saying that for months. Just a few good hard fouls.

04-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Only pussies and assholes wish for bush league play

04-08-2016, 09:28 PM
So letting Curry walk to the rim untouched through our bigs is your idea of basketball the right way? When Pop says "I want some nasty" do you think he means back in the dressing room or out on the court?
Eh, unlike a Westbrook or Harden, slashers who thrive on drawing contact...Curry is very adept at slashing and avoiding contact. Whether it be with a floater or one of his patented high off the glass lay ups, he manages to get off before a defender can contest it, he avoids contact like none other while still converting at a high rate.

RD2191
04-08-2016, 09:39 PM
What needs to happen is for Parker to ride pine against the Dubs.

dabom
04-08-2016, 09:45 PM

:lol

dabom
04-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Porker has another "injury" end quotes. :lmao

Obstructed_View
04-08-2016, 10:25 PM
You fucking little faggots sound like every other fanbase of inferior teams over the years wanting to hurt Spurs players just because they knew their shitty teams weren't good enough to compete. If you don't think the Spurs are good enough to beat the Warriors straight up, then be fucking men and say so instead of wishing injury on opponents that clean your team's fucking clock.

Manu Ginobili has played nasty for the majority of his career, and I'm 100 percent certain that he's never tried to hurt anyone or to put them on their ass to send a message. That's what faggot teams like the Mavericks and Nuggets do.

RD2191
04-08-2016, 10:27 PM
You fucking little faggots sound like every other fanbase of inferior teams over the years wanting to hurt Spurs players just because they knew their shitty teams weren't good enough to compete. If you don't think the Spurs are good enough to beat the Warriors straight up, then be fucking men and say so instead of wishing injury on opponents that clean your team's fucking clock.

Manu Ginobili has played nasty for the majority of his career, and I'm 100 percent certain that he's never tried to hurt anyone or to put them on their ass to send a message. That's what faggot teams like the Mavericks and Nuggets do.
Say faggot one more time.

DMC
04-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Eh, unlike a Westbrook or Harden, slashers who thrive on drawing contact...Curry is very adept at slashing and avoiding contact. Whether it be with a floater or one of his patented high off the glass lay ups, he manages to get off before a defender can contest it, he avoids contact like none other while still converting at a high rate.
lol "slashing". Nigga walked to the rim, could have had a dog with him for all that matters.

DMC
04-08-2016, 10:28 PM

Yeah let's not hurt our own guys. There are other guys out there for that.

baseline bum
04-09-2016, 11:23 AM
I hate when people say this shit. When teams talk about putting the other team's best player on the floor it usually means the series is over and the team has no answer. As if NBA players don't get fouled in normal gameplay. They're NBA players, not your little brother afraid of getting bullied.

SpursFan86
04-09-2016, 11:47 AM

I mean, there's clearly a medium between "let him go untouched" and "put him on his ass with a flagrant foul or two, try to get him carried off the court". You can play good, physical defense without getting dirty or intentionally committing flagrant fouls.

Stuff like intentionally elbowing or clotheslining someone in hopes of taking them off the court isn't "good basketball" or "good defense". It's bush league shit, and I guarantee that Pop isn't looking for those types of things when he says "I want some nasty". He just wants them to get more physical and play with more competitiveness. Again, you can do those things without playing dirty.

Call it soft all you want, but it's fucking basketball, not football. You think the league is better off with guys just laying each other out in hopes of taking the other guy off the court any time they're getting outplayed?

"Damn, no one on our team can guard Kawhi right now...let's give him an elbow or two and see if we can't at least take him out of the game so he can get some stitches" - what great defense :cry

itzsoweezee
04-09-2016, 11:55 AM
You know a fanbase is desperate with these stupid get-dirty takes. Idiot DMC with his typical nonsense. I have not read one worthwhile sentence from this fucking moron.

tholdren
04-09-2016, 12:14 PM
I mean, there's clearly a medium between "let him go untouched" and "put him on his ass with a flagrant foul or two, try to get him carried off the court". You can play good, physical defense without getting dirty or intentionally committing flagrant fouls.

Stuff like intentionally elbowing or clotheslining someone in hopes of taking them off the court isn't "good basketball" or "good defense". It's bush league shit, and I guarantee that Pop isn't looking for those types of things when he says "I want some nasty". He just wants them to get more physical and play with more competitiveness. Again, you can do those things without playing dirty.

Call it soft all you want, but it's fucking basketball, not football. You think the league is better off with guys just laying each other out in hopes of taking the other guy off the court any time they're getting outplayed?

"Damn, no one on our team can guard Kawhi right now...let's give him an elbow or two and see if we can't at least take him out of the game so he can get some stitches" - what great defense :cry

and thats not even what is being addressed. The new NBA players and fans are cry-babies. You defend a guy on the perimeter who beats you on the floor then you make sure when he goes up you make an aggressive basketball play to block or strip the ball. If a player cuts through the lane, step up and bust the cutter. Pesky on ball defender? Run him off a hard set pick. You have a guy running free to get a rebound, box him out.

The crying for the fouls, the flopping, it is exactly little brother afraid of big brother, or they would just play. West needs to step up and be an enforcer and an intimidator.

NameLess Scrub
04-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Just foul a bit harder. Don't injure or anything like that.

And yes, the refs seem to be either dumb or do it on purpose when they allow certain individuals/teams to carry, travel, or move screens constantly. And yes, there's a lot of whine and flop while using little cheats now.

I didn't watch much of the Detroit's dirty years. Did they whine a lot along with fouling that hard?

sexinthatsx
04-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Just bump Steph Curry hard when he shoots the 3. You'll get a foul, but when you do it 3 times in a row, he'll start missing. It's not going to cause injuries like everybody here is crying about, but it'll get him to think twice before shooting the 3.

Obstructed_View
04-09-2016, 01:21 PM
and thats not even what is being addressed. The new NBA players and fans are cry-babies. You defend a guy on the perimeter who beats you on the floor then you make sure when he goes up you make an aggressive basketball play to block or strip the ball. If a player cuts through the lane, step up and bust the cutter. Pesky on ball defender? Run him off a hard set pick. You have a guy running free to get a rebound, box him out.

The crying for the fouls, the flopping, it is exactly little brother afraid of big brother, or they would just play. West needs to step up and be an enforcer and an intimidator.

The Spurs weren't close enough to anyone in the paint to aggressively challenge layups and dunks, tbh.

tholdren
04-09-2016, 01:27 PM
The Spurs weren't close enough to anyone in the paint to aggressively challenge layups and dunks, tbh.
then it goes back to coaching?

Obstructed_View
04-09-2016, 03:07 PM
then it goes back to coaching?

Probably goes back to getting beat by a better team until the historic Spurs defense proves otherwise.

DMC
04-09-2016, 03:12 PM

I don't give a shit if the league is better off. I only care if my team gets past their team. That can't be done allowing an anorexic PG to bumble down the lane at his leisure. Play the soft pussy card all you like and sing kumbaya to the world, but that "we are classy" facade is just smoke and mirrors. In years where we've won it all, we weren't nice and accommodating to opposing point guards.

DMC
04-09-2016, 03:12 PM
You know a fanbase is desperate with these stupid get-dirty takes. Idiot DMC with his typical nonsense. I have not read one worthwhile sentence from this fucking moron.
But you're a faggot so no one gives a shit what you think.