PDA

View Full Version : Who has been the worst 5 detrimental players in spurs history?

apalisoc_9
04-09-2016, 01:04 AM
Your thoughts?

-Players that have big contracts that is in no way close to their real ability and is untradable.

- Players who have roles that is in no way in line with their abilities.

Richard Jefferson killed the spurs for two years.

Who else in spurs history fits the description?

Paid too much. Untradable.
Plays a bigger role than what they can handle.

midnightpulp
04-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Not Parker, so this thread is now basically closed since that is who you want mentioned.

apalisoc_9
04-09-2016, 01:08 AM
Not Parker, so this thread is now basically closed since that is who you want mentioned.

Why so defensive bro? :lol

You have Parker in your list? Interesting choice. Who are the other 4?

Spurs 4 The Win
04-09-2016, 01:13 AM

/thread :ban:

apalisoc_9
04-09-2016, 01:15 AM
This is not Parker a thread btw. I didnt even mention him at the op so lets stick to the topic. Of course if you feel like his 14 million is detrimental, you can go ahead and say so..but this isnt a parker thread.

houston spurs fan
04-09-2016, 01:23 AM
This is not Parker a thread btw. I didnt even mention him at the op so lets stick to the topic. Of course if you feel like his 14 million is detrimental, you can go ahead and say so..but this isnt a parker thread.
Tito Boy of Spurstalk.

midnightpulp
04-09-2016, 01:31 AM
Why so defensive bro? :lol

You have Parker in your list? Interesting choice. Who are the other 4?

I know what you implied with the title :lol

I'm defensive because "Blame Parker" is a vanilla take these days. You don't want to devolve into a vanilla poster, do you?

GSH
04-09-2016, 01:59 AM
Bullshit it's not a Parker thread. But I'll give you a pretty good short list of guys who have been overpaid, detrimental, and/or a waste of time.

Richard Jefferson
Stephen Jackson II
Charles Smith
Steve Smith
Jackie Butler
Roger Mason
Kurt Thomas
Jaren Jackson
Dennis Rodman
Ron Mercer

Edit: Oh, and how did I forget Bonner?

Tully365
04-09-2016, 04:44 AM
Transparent, repetitive, predictable.

JohnnyMax
04-09-2016, 04:53 AM
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Harrison Barnes
Draymond Green
Andrew Bogut

will_spurs
04-09-2016, 04:54 AM
Who has (sic) been the worst 5 detrimental players in spurstalk history?

100%duncan
04-09-2016, 05:30 AM
From my time only so no rodman and old dudes.

1. Dick Jeff
2. Mason
3. Old Bowen, got relied on too much
4. Bonner

z0sa
04-09-2016, 05:43 AM

I'm defensive because "Blame Parker" is a vanilla take these days. You don't want to devolve into a vanilla poster, do you?

lol considering this faggot anything more than a vanilla poster since his kawhi cocksucking days.

Splits
04-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Bonner doesn't qualify based on the criteria, was never on anything close to a big contract, been on mins for awhile now

Gagnrath
04-09-2016, 07:06 AM
I will bite....

I think this idea depends on both player and year...

For example Kobe the last two years has been very detrimental to the lake show but before that was a franchise cornerstone.

So I will start with
Hedo Turkaglu (never could spell it) I think the spurs just got him at a bad time honestly. He was a very good small forward with the kings. A bigger SF with decent handles and passing as well as a no e outside shot. Spurs slightly overpaid for him as he was slowing and after his time in SA he was a productive stretch 4 and back up for the magic and the clips.

Dennis Rodman... Another player in transition..... He was actually a fairly well rounded player who was effective on both ends with the bad boy pistons... He was also not quite the freakshow he became while there... In SA he clashed with Robinson took days, games and offensive everything off. He also became the dress wearing, Carmen Electra dating rainbow hairing personality that he is famous for... And to think coming home to Texas was written as a good calming move for a player struggling with inner demons when he first came to the spurs.

Richard Jefferson its been said.

2005-2006 Season Rasho Nostrovich. The year before he helped the spurs to a title and suffered a late season lower leg injury. This year he was considerably slower and less inclined to bang inside against Yao and Shaw... He was also commanding a BIG chunk of salary cap space. He was then traded for Bonner and spare change.

2012-2013 DeJuan Blair I wanted to believe. DeJuan started his rookie season with a double double and impressed us all that year. The man without knees also played in basically every game. His sophomore outing didn't show as much development as had been hoped and showed a worrisome weight gain for a guy with questions about his leg joints, but he played his way into an detention. This third year more weight, public money issues, missed games, no development and media whoring then whining about no playing time.

I am sure there were franchise drains before Rodman, I just can't comment because it was before my time.... (And I am viewing the rodman time through the eyes of a kid who was in middle school.). I had the season of Parker with a teammates wife as honorable mention but that was handled well by everyone save for Parker and the Other Barry showing hate on broadcasting duties.

pgardn
04-09-2016, 10:27 AM
1. Dennis Rodman
2. Richard Jefferson
3. Vernon Maxwell
4. Rod Stickland
5. Walter Berry

This is a very worthy list IMO from distraction, to wussy, to out for stat players, to horrible locker room guys. Walter Berry and Dennis Rodman probably played the worst defense ever from an effort point of view. Rodman would stand under the basket leaving his man totally unguarded to stat pad rebounds per game. Berry was the least of a personality problem. Jefferson bad only because he played on good teams and was such an obvious failure. And a wuss of course...

Worst of all is everyone of these guys had mucho God given athletic talent. And they failed.

Obstructed_View
04-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Richard Jefferson was an upgrade over anyone the Spurs had at small forward at the time, he fit into the role of three point shooter pretty well. The biggest problems were his contract, his new contract, and the draft pick that it cost the Spurs to get rid of him, which could have landed Draymond Green or Quincy Acy. If Jack II had worked out, it would have all been forgotten.

Most detrimental players in Spurs history not named Matt Bonner:

Jackie Butler - Probably number one of all time. Not only wasted space at a critical position that never panned out, but cost Luis Scola to get rid of him.
Sidney Green - Total tub of shit as a player. Cost two draft picks to get rid of him for JR Reid.
Charles Smith - Damaged goods, Spurs screwed by the Knicks in the trade, cost them a draft pick to get him.
Nick Van Exel - Not even sure how the Spurs ended up with this guy, but he was signed based on past performances.
Dennis Rodman - Sold a few tickets, helped the team win and then pulled the chair out when they needed him most.
Derek Anderson - Probably the main reason Manu Ginobili wasn't brought over in 2000

pgardn
04-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Richard Jefferson was an upgrade over anyone the Spurs had at small forward at the time, he fit into the role of three point shooter pretty well. The biggest problems were his contract, his new contract, and the draft pick that it cost the Spurs to get rid of him, which could have landed Draymond Green or Quincy Acy. If Jack II had worked out, it would have all been forgotten.

Most detrimental players in Spurs history not named Matt Bonner:

Jackie Butler - Probably number one of all time. Not only wasted space at a critical position that never panned out, but cost Luis Scola to get rid of him.
Sidney Green - Total tub of shit as a player. Cost two draft picks to get rid of him for JR Reid.
Charles Smith - Damaged goods, Spurs screwed by the Knicks in the trade, cost them a draft pick to get him.
Nick Van Exel - Not even sure how the Spurs ended up with this guy, but he was signed based on past performances.
Dennis Rodman - Sold a few tickets, helped the team win and then pulled the chair out when they needed him most.
Derek Anderson - Probably the main reason Manu Ginobili wasn't brought over in 2000

This is a good list from the business end.

We had some very bad high 1st picks as well.

Alfred the great Hughes.
And Walter Berry... There are more.

Richard Jefferson was a mental midget. We had to try to start him off by throwing him alley oops to start the game? Cater to his weak mind? He was a fail in more than you mentioned. Especially since expectations have clearly seeped into the grading system. Also George Hill could be considered one of our best moves as he got us KL. (Too many degrees of separation though)

ElNono
04-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Hedo Turkoglu... we had a lot riding on that choker... luckily it wasn't a long term deal.

Clipper Nation
04-09-2016, 12:12 PM

Porker being the Spurs' weakest link is only a "vanilla" take because it's just a blatantly obvious fact. The only reason it's even talked about so much is because a small minority of Porker fluffers and their alts refuse to accept it and try to blame everything on Kawhi. It's like arguing with people who refuse to believe that three-pointers exist, or that the NBA uses nets instead of peach baskets now.

apalisoc_9
04-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Porker being the Spurs' weakest link is only a "vanilla" take because it's just a blatantly obvious fact. The only reason it's even talked about so much is because a small minority of Porker fluffers and their alts refuse to accept it and try to blame everything on Kawhi. It's like arguing with people who refuse to believe that three-pointers exist, or that the NBA uses nets instead of peach baskets now.

Cluppers nation going ISIS on midnightpulp and spurstalk

100%duncan
04-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Hedo Turkoglu... we had a lot riding on that choker... luckily it wasn't a long term deal.

Actually forgot about that fucker

dabom
04-09-2016, 01:11 PM
:lol

Cry Havoc
04-09-2016, 01:13 PM

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-09-2016, 01:19 PM
I remember when Splits posted Apa's personal information, then he cried like a little bitch to management.

TheGreatYacht
04-09-2016, 01:26 PM
I remember when Splits posted Apa's personal information, then he cried like a little bitch to management.
:lmao

remember when he quit ST, and then returned after his family had an intervention with him for wanting fuck his aunt?

KL2
04-09-2016, 03:00 PM
RJ is close, but Parker beats him.

-Leeched off prime TD/Manu for years.
-Refused his team's request that he not play in the Olympics to which he defied and pressured Diaw into joining having a negative impact on his play.
-Cheated with Barry's wife
-Is wasting Leonard's early years and will continue to waste them as long as he's on this roster, he's completely screwed up our rebuilding process.
-Is wasting Duncan-Manu & Pop's remaining years, not to mention D-West's.

That's just off the top of my head. This guys is a cancer.

dabom
04-09-2016, 03:03 PM
RJ is close, but Parker beats him.

-Leeched off prime TD/Manu for years.
-Refused his team's request that he not play in the Olympics to which he defied and pressured Diaw into joining having a negative impact on his play.
-Cheated with Barry's wife
-Is wasting Leonard's early years and will continue to waste them as long as he's on this roster, he's completely screwed up our rebuilding process.
-Is wasting Duncan-Manu & Pop's remaining years, not to mention D-West's.

That's just off the top of my head. This guys is a cancer.
:wow OMG

Aztecfan03
04-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Apalisoc's minions think its Parker just like midnight said.

dabom
04-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Apalisoc's minions think its Parker just like midnight said.

Dude was cum shielding the hardest. Preemptive posts. :lmao

GSH
04-09-2016, 03:49 PM

Hedo's salary was only about $2 Mil that season. But getting him was the reason the Spurs had to absorb Ron Mercer's bloated salary, IIRC. Couldn't decide which was more damaging. Mercer was shit and cost almost $7M that season. Hedo didn't live up to expectations, but only cost like $2M, I think.

I can't believe nobody else mentioned the $10M or Stephen Jackson cost the cap, his second time around. Think about what another, different $10M player could have meant to that roster.

Sidney Green is a blast from the past, but yeah.
Van Exel played for around the vet min, after making $12M the year before. That should have been a clue that he was done. I blame that debacle on the FO. Besides, he wasn't much different from Benoh - hard to mention one without the other.
I thought Anderson had about the best year of his career with the Spurs. The way he went out was shit, but I thought you chalk that one up to "it's a business".

ginobilized
04-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Nick Van Exel
Stephen Jackson redux
Richard Jefferson
Jackie Butler
Mengke Bateer

SouthernFried
04-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Larry Brown
Jefferson
Paul Pressey/Sidney Green/Maurice Cheeks (all part of the Larry Brown saga)
Dwayne Shintzius (sp? lol)
Johnny Dawkins

Budkin
04-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Cluppers nation going ISIS on midnightpulp and spurstalk

:lol "going ISIS"

Spurtacular
04-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Black Ollie / Corpse McCallum

ElNono
04-09-2016, 04:43 PM
I can't believe nobody else mentioned the $10M or Stephen Jackson cost the cap, his second time around. Think about what another, different $10M player could have meant to that roster.

Jack was great in the first season with the team on his second stint... one of the few guys that really showed up against OKC in the WC when Danny Green was choking badly.

It was his 2nd season where he mailed it in, tbh...

Plus he'll always get a pass from me because 2003 doesn't happen without his clutch shooting.

Kawhitstorm
04-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Playoff disappointments:

2004-Hedo Chokoglue/Rasho NestroBitch

2001-Terry "Brick Layer" Porter

1998/2002- David ":baby" Robinson

2006/2011: Porker:rolleyes

spursistan
04-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Playoff disappointments:

2009 Bonner/Roger Mason Jr choking combo :lmao...

UNT Eagles 2016
04-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Serious thread:

Strickland, Rodman, Jefferson, Turkoglu, Van Exel. In no particular order.

Kawhitstorm
04-09-2016, 05:23 PM
2009 Bonner/Roger Mason Jr choking combo :lmao...

Spurs were pretenders in 2009 so it's irrelevant.:wakeup

Kawhitstorm
04-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Serious thread:

Strickland, Rodman, Jefferson, Turkoglu, Van Exel. In no particular order.

As if anyone EXPECTED anything for Van Exel (maybe you did), his role was K-Mart status.:lol (Barry/Manu were the backup PGs)

Might as well add Mighty Mouse to the list.:lol

UNT Eagles 2016
04-09-2016, 05:27 PM
As if anyone EXPECTED anything for Van Exel (maybe you did), his role was K-Mart status.:lol (Barry/Manu were the backup PGs)
I saw Barry and Manu as the backup swingmen, assuming Finley and Bowen were the starters. Van Exel and Udrih were the backup PGs. Horry and Nesterovic, the backup bigs. Probably one of the deeper teams we had.

Spurtacular
04-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Playoff disappointments:

1998 Robinson

Cost Timmy and the Spurs a back to back, imo.

BSfromTX
04-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Charles Smith

huge contract and barely played. We were stuck for a long time with it too

Kawhitstorm
04-09-2016, 05:32 PM
I saw Barry and Manu as the backup swingmen, assuming Finley and Bowen were the starters. Van Exel and Udrih were the backup PGs. Horry and Nesterovic, the backup bigs. Probably one of the deeper teams we had.

Van Exel/Beno were basically K-Mart/Miller status. Porker played a lot of minutes so Barry/Manu were able to spread their minutes as backup guards/wings. Van Exel only played spot minutes in the playoffs.

It was Rasho NestroBitch that went from being a full-time starter to being unplayable against the Mavs.:bang (Nazr bailed him out in 2005)

apalisoc_9
04-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Playoff disappointments:

Love the Drop emoticon :lol

Spurtacular
04-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Van Exel/Beno were basically K-Mart/Miller status.

Rotation players vs. end of the bench players; so, no.

hoopdreams11
04-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Lloyd Daniels

Doe
04-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Turkoglu was a weird one. He was putting holes in the backboard with his errant shooting in the playoffs and looked scared against LA. Weirdly he became a pretty clutch player later on with the Magic. Who knows what could've been if he had stuck around and been used differently.

Old School 44
04-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Alfredrick Hughes. The 14th pick in the 1985 draft. Not saying the Spurs would have picked him if he was available, but Karl Malone was the 13 pick of the draft.

Obstructed_View
04-09-2016, 07:33 PM
I thought Anderson had about the best year of his career with the Spurs. The way he went out was shit, but I thought you chalk that one up to "it's a business".

I don't think DA was a bad player. I think the Spurs win the championship that year if Juwan Howard was never born. But I also think the Spurs have an excellent chance of winning more than one from the threepeat Lakers if Manu's there instead of DA.

sasaint
04-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Nick Van Exel
Stephen Jackson redux
Richard Jefferson
Jackie Butler
Mengke Bateer

Jackie Butler...! :wow I haven't thought about him since the Scola give-away. I am surprised that name is not burned in my brain. I have lamented that Scola never played for us literally every time I have seen him play. Greatest Spur that never was.

GSH
04-10-2016, 12:29 AM
For a thread that was clearly supposed to be a Parker troll, it was kind of fun to dredge up some of those memories.

Plus he'll always get a pass from me because 2003 doesn't happen without his clutch shooting.

That's actually a damned good reason. It's hard to hate too much on Jax. Out of all those guys, he's one I wish had gone differently. He had the skills to have his jersey in the rafters.

But I also think the Spurs have an excellent chance of winning more than one from the threepeat Lakers if Manu's there instead of DA.

I guess I just never knew that DA got in the way of bringing Manu in sooner. Damn but Manu in those early years was exciting to watch! Some of his moves and passes were like nothing I had ever seen, and probably will never see again. His court vision and creativity were electrifying. When it was a one or two point game, and the Spurs had their last possession - watching Manu wait out above the circle for the clock to run down, and then swoop into the paint? I spent a lot of time just shaking my head. That was some of the best basketball I have ever watched. I liked Anderson while he was here, but if it's a choice between him and a young Manu? Hell, and old Manu - it's not even close.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2016, 05:53 AM
I guess I just never knew that DA got in the way of bringing Manu in sooner. Damn but Manu in those early years was exciting to watch! Some of his moves and passes were like nothing I had ever seen, and probably will never see again. His court vision and creativity were electrifying. When it was a one or two point game, and the Spurs had their last possession - watching Manu wait out above the circle for the clock to run down, and then swoop into the paint? I spent a lot of time just shaking my head. That was some of the best basketball I have ever watched. I liked Anderson while he was here, but if it's a choice between him and a young Manu? Hell, and old Manu - it's not even close.

I don't know that for sure, but the timing works. The Spurs targeted DA early on and it was the worst kept secret in basketball that he was going to leave the Clippers for SA. The circumstances suggest that Manu was drafted as a backup plan and that he didn't sign with Kinder until he knew the Spurs weren't going to bring him over.

I found a source for this a while back, but I can't for the life of me find it now.

SpursforSix
04-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Rod Strickland. He was a great player but that pass...
And then he was gone leaving a void.